homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: What Is A Christian? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: What Is A Christian?
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Having consulted Alan, I hope that amy will not be offended if I start this thread. The following quotes are of posts that were originally made on the Hospitality thread.)

quote:
Originally posted by amy:
Okay, I'm sorry, but I don't know where to ask this question as there doesn't seem a place to put this. I am a bit confused because I want to ask a question which many people have told me different answers to...

Are Catholics Christians?

I hope I don't offend Catholics if this is the case by my ignorance, but I would like to know... [Confused]

quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
Hi amy! Welcome to the Ship. [Smile]

The answer to your question depends on how you define "Christian". How would you define it?

quote:
Originally posted by Alaric the Goth:
The Pope would answer a resounding 'YES!'

Ian Paisley would say 'Noo!'

For myself, I take the view that many are, many are not, and many might be! Before I get jumped on by Hosts, I take the same view regarding most 'Christian' denominations - I am by preference an Anglican, and the above is certainly true of the C of E! I currently go to a Baptist church, and the same could probably be said of Baptists overall.

quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
Alaric - what is your definition of "Christian"?

quote:
Originally posted by Alaric the Goth:
A Christian is someone who believes there is an Almighty God, who came to earth as Jesus Christ the Son of God. And that Jesus was crucified and died, his body placed in a tomb, and that he was resurrected to life by the power of God, appearing to many people, before he went to Heaven. The Christian believes that the death and resurrection of Christ provided a way for him/her (and anyone else who wants to receive it) to be forgiven, to be given the gift of eternal life, and to enter into a relationship with God, one that requires time spent in communication by prayer, and also time spent meeting with other Christian believers in a 'church' (this being the gathering of the believers rather than (just) a building).

Now I find that very interesting. It seems to me that "Christian" means "follower of Christ" (originally "Little Christ"). And the things that you mention appear to relate to adherence to teachings of the Church.

Is it your understanding that these things are clarification by the Church of what it means to follow Christ?

[ 10. March 2003, 02:09: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I think Alaric defines 'Christian belief' well, but I'm not sure that's the same thing as defining 'Christian'.

I strongly believe that we are saved by grace, not by doctrine, and there is no entrance examination to heaven. We can be wrong about any number of things, because Jesus' work does not require us to be right about anything! It is efficacious on its own.

The other problem with the 'A Christian is someone who believes that...' approach is that folk keep adding to the list. Jesus never said 'believe this', but rather 'follow Me'. I think this is the crux of it.

Funnily enough, I'm working on a bit about this for my website at the moment.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had conversations with Catholics where I have (in my ignorance) used the word "Christian" in contrast to the word "Catholic".
The general reaction I have observed is one of bewilderment, as if it would never have occurred to them that "Catholic" was anything other than "Christian".

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl, it follows for me that 'a Christian' is one who adheres to the basics of Christian belief. I tried to be as inclusive as possible in what I wrote in my definition, aware that people add 'stuff' and say 'You cannot be a true Christian because you don't believe in...'. For myself, what I wrote seems to be the minimum 'belief requirement'. I have no desire for the word 'Christian' to be used sloppily, to mean just about anything, as it too often can be.

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no arguement with your definition, but I'm not sure it's the best way of defining Christian. But this soon becomes semantics.

Dave Andrews (I think it was) at Greenbelt a few years back compared models. He said that Christianity has traditionaly drawn a line round certain beliefs, and judged people's faith according to where they stood in relation to that line.

He proposed that rather we should put Jesus at the centre of our model, rather than a statement of belief about Him, and judge whether our faith is looking towards Him, or away from Him. Direction more important than distance.

Dave Tomlinson tells a nice parable of the Spring Harvest Speaker and the Liberal Bishop that I'll try to dig up....

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When people ask me what I am I say "Catholic". I don't say "Christian". Because the people I have met who say "I am a Christian" have always been evangelical fundamentalist types or who are into charismatic movements where they speak in tongues, and either way I am usually condemned to hell for not believing exactly what they believe.

Having said this, if I was asked by a Muslim or Hindu what I am I would probably then say "Christian" and qualify it with "Catholic".

And excuse me, but Catholics are quite unmistakably Christians: Christ is the central feature of our religion. I would be most interested to know what Amy thought they might be otherwise.

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We ran a book club recently and one of the questions that came up was “What was a Christian?” It was followed by an extremely long silence!

It’s almost impossible to answer without resorting to jargon or a statement of faith of some kind. Jargon’s no good as it doesn’t always make sense to other people. Statements of faith don’t always help either as those are set up to include and exclude people. In the end we decided it was someone who had chosen to try and follow Christ and put Him first in their lives. Anything else was just window dressing.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
originally posted by Karl (quoting Dave Andrews) :
quote:
judge whether our faith is looking towards Him, or away from Him. Direction more important than distance.

But surely part of it is KNOWING whom you are looking at?
A Muslim 'looks to' Mohammed as 'The Prophet', and what the Prophet wrote in the Qu'ran 'helps' the Muslim to look to Allah.
After The Prophet, Jesus himself is, as far as I know, considered the next most important human being. But Islam views him as 'merely' a prophet, and not the greatest one of those. So a Muslim could look in the direction of Jesus and 'see' a very distorted image/nothing like the 'whole picture' (as far as Christians are concerned).

You can't, IMO, look 'at' Jesus very long without looking at His words, as recorded in the Gospels, and there you will find His claims about himself, and about God the Father. And His words stress the importance of having faith/believing. 'Blessed are those who have not seen yet have believed.'

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When people ask me what I am I say "Catholic".

I am sad that you say this rather than identify with your christain brothers and sisters. I think that when Catholics identify themselves as Catholics rather than christians it gives rise to the question "are Catholics christians?"

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

I think we need to distinguish between having faith in Jesus and believing particular things about Him.

It's not that I don't think that doctrine is important, but I don't think it's of central importance. It is our response to the person of Jesus that matters. but to as many as would receive him he gave power to become Sons of God, I seem to recall.

Just the way I feel my emphasis going these days.

--------------------

Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ultimately a Christian is someone who follows Christ. i.e. the Christ as met in the New Testament of the Bible, the second person of the Trinity. If someone is genuinely seeking to follow Him then I think that they have a right to call themselves a Christian.

However sometimes they try to follow Him and something/one else, thats where the problem occurs. So a Muslim following Mohamed and Isa (Jesus) is a Muslim rather than a Christian - though if Christ is more important to him than Mohamed he may be a closet christian.

In the same way if a Catholic puts Jesus first he is a christian but put the pop first and I wonder ...?

Also apply that to WordFaith followers who put wealth first, LDS who put the teachings of the book of Mormom first etc. But I expect there are christians (i.e. those who put Jesus first) in Word Faith and LDS churches - and also within Hindu temples

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astro:
I am sad that you say this rather than identify with your christain brothers and sisters. I think that when Catholics identify themselves as Catholics rather than christians it gives rise to the question "are Catholics christians?"

I think you are looking at this from an English perspective where Catholics are a minority and it is not the state religion, and you meet a lot of people of different religions or denominations in a largely secular country. I was brought up in the Irish tradition where Catholicism was a mainstream thing. It was just a fact of life that everyone around you was also Catholic - a few people were Protestant or Jewish but that was as far as it went. There was no need to say "Christian." That was just taken for granted. It is probably much the same in Italy and France and other mainstream Catholic (oops, Christian) countries. If people did say they were Christian, we knew that they meant some kind of evangelical.

In what way do you mean "identify with"? I accept other Christians as Christians. I have been to some ecumenical services and they were fine. I am happy to meet people halfway, but, I really can't identify with extreme sects who want to condemn me to hell because I don't subscribe to their exact version of belief or who ask me to believe things I really can't swallow.

Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is what we are trying to get at here the basis of faith?

Perhaps what we need to do is reword the question and ask:

What is the minimum you must believe to be regarded as a "Christian"

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Polly

Shipmate
# 1107

- Posted      Profile for Polly   Email Polly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After posting my reply as a new thread ( ok who spotted that I am new to all this?) instead of a reply ( DOH!!) I shall hopefully reply as I intended.

A Christian was someone from the church in Antioch and that is the only time the word is mentioned in the Bible.

Posts: 560 | From: St Albans | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve_R
Shipmate
# 61

- Posted      Profile for Steve_R   Email Steve_R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But Polly, there is an accepted usage of the word "Christian" outside the bible and that is what we are trying to get at. After all the usage of "Baptist" is different in the bible from it's use as a denomination of Christianity.

--------------------
Love and Kisses, Steve_R

Posts: 990 | From: East Sussex | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

Carmel

While in Northern Ireland many christians want to be identified only as christians because catholic or protestant has a political meaning. Even Jews have been asked if they are a catholic or protestant Jew.

--------------------

Polly

Shipmate
# 1107

- Posted      Profile for Polly   Email Polly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steve

I understand what the question is but I think that the word is mis-leading.

Christ uses the word Disciples. The sad truth is that in churches very few people are discipled.

Maybe we should be looking at what this means rather than understand what the word Christian means.

The church in Antioch only used it as a label for others outside of the church to recognise who they were and what they believed.

Posts: 560 | From: St Albans | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

I'm sorry Polly, I think that this is a little off track. The original question was reframed from "Are Catholics Christians" so as to have a less offensive thread title. But that is still the basis of the original question.

--------------------

BigAL
Shipmate
# 750

- Posted      Profile for BigAL   Email BigAL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Polly:
A Christian was someone from the church in Antioch and that is the only time the word is mentioned in the Bible.

After all your struggles I hate to spoil your point but the term 'Christian' is used another 2 times. In Acts 26 when paul is talking to aggrippa he says 'you almost persudae me to be a Christian' and in 1 Peter 4:15 Paul says 'if you suffer as a Christian'.

Christian is a term that in modern speak means 2 things. Someone who was brought up in a Christian Country. The second is used by a person who has been born again (hence the non-sence term 'born again christian')
This is the true sence of the word Christian that means that the user has accepted that Jesus died for thier sin. If a catholic has accepted this then they are a Christian in the true sense not just because you went to mass once.

--------------------
The Bible contains the Answer of that I am certain

Posts: 507 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Polly:
The church in Antioch only used it as a label for others outside of the church to recognise who they were and what they believed.
(emphasis mine)

But Polly, that's the point - if you use the word "Christian" you're using shorthand for a lot of assumed beliefs/practices/etc. Therefore the question on this thread isn't misleading at all - it's asking what this label conveys, and ultimately who should properly use it.

In answer to Amy, are Catholics Christians? Flip the question around - are Protestants Christians? Well, some you could say are, some you could say aren't, because there are certain things about their words and actions that suggest they have inappropriately acquired the word "Christian".

But always bear in mind C S Lewis' wise comment about the church in Antioch - they were called Christians because they followed Christ, not because they were necessarily any good at it.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I am just rather shocked that the question would even occur to anyone. It honestly has never occurred to me to question whether Protestants were Christians.

Well, I don't know ... in the three months I've been reading these boards I've come across a lot of swipes at Catholicism (and I still don't understand the reason for it). But if people are even considering the question of whether Catholics are Christians, well, maybe this is not the right place for me. I have enjoyed being on the boards up till now but I had no idea that people could regard Catholics in this way, that they might not accept them as equals but thought of them as non-Christians. I'm just rather bemused and a bit upset by this attitude.

To answer Astro: I am aware of the Northern Ireland situation: I've experienced this myself with colleagues from the North.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine recounts this story: a woman is asked, in a non-religious sort of context, if she is a Christian.

She replies: "No, I'm an Anglican, thank God!"

And now to throw a wrench (spanner) into the works:

Can one be a Christian and not be "saved"?

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freehand

The sound of one hand clapping
# 144

- Posted      Profile for Freehand   Email Freehand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that church structures are mostly about control. Statements of faith and other standards are mostly used to silence people or kick them out if they don't match up perfectly to every requirement. That way they can keep their religion from being dilluted by unwanted people, beliefs and expressions.

The other role of statements of faith are to define clearly who is and isn't making it into heaven. That way, people don't have to worry about whether they will make it or not. After all, if being a Christian is defined by who is following Jesus, then no one can be sure whether they are a sheep or a goat. After all, being a Christian seems to be about getting the good stuff rather than about loving Jesus.

As far as I know, Christian means Christ-like. Perhaps the term Christian should refer to anyone that is Christ like regardless of religious affiliation.

Sorry if I sound a little heated. This whole topic really annoys me and I really don't know what the proper definition of Christian should be. The whole definition seems to be wrapped up in judging, which, perhaps, should be left to God.

Freehand

ps - In my country, Christian generally refers to people that go to church.

Septimus
Shipmate
# 500

- Posted      Profile for Septimus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carmel - if you come across any more catholic bashing message me and i'll leap in by yer side. I can't honestly say I've come across any but then I've only been around SoF for about a month and I generally steer clear of purgatory (too many fundies knocking around.)

Everyone seems to be getting hung up on belief as a measure of christianity... obviously that is pretty key but then I have met people who claim to believe in God, Jesus etc etc but then live their life in a manner far from the teachings of the big JC. Surely behaviour and how one lives one's life is a big determinant of whether one can be referred to as christian or not? you know, love thy neighbour and all that good stuff.

And just to back up carmel - I would also answer "Catholic" if someone asked my what religion I was as I too have met many fleece-wearing tambouriners and it is difficult for me to think of the word "christian" without a silent "born-again" prefix sneaking in.

--------------------
"The man of 'perfect manners' is he who is calmly courteous in all circumstances, as attentive outwardly to the plain and the elderly as he is to the young and the pretty."

Mrs. Humphrey, Manners for Men

Posts: 442 | From: England's Garden Gnome | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charles
Shipmate
# 357

- Posted      Profile for Charles   Email Charles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to clarify a point,

Catholics are followers of Christ and not the Pope.

The Pope is the senior member of the Catholic community, in the same way that the Archbishop of Canterbury is the senior member of the Church of England and as such has the respect of the members of the Church.

The Pope never takes precedence over Christ!

--------------------
Charles

Posts: 115 | From: Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carmel:
Well, I don't know ... in the three months I've been reading these boards I've come across a lot of swipes at Catholicism (and I still don't understand the reason for it). But if people are even considering the question of whether Catholics are Christians, well, maybe this is not the right place for me. I have enjoyed being on the boards up till now but I had no idea that people could regard Catholics in this way, that they might not accept them as equals but thought of them as non-Christians. I'm just rather bemused and a bit upset by this attitude.

I am also bemused and saddened by this attitude. Over the years I have been privilged to know a number of Catholics, many
of whom were more Christian than many Protestants I've known. I would expect better of the regulars of these boards to make swipes at Catholicism, and that there is such an attitude on these boards is something that reflects badly upon this community.

Alan

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manx Taffy
Shipmate
# 301

- Posted      Profile for Manx Taffy   Email Manx Taffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Carmel am shocked by the question "are Catholics Christian".

We might ask that about individuals within any denomination of Christianity but not of one particular denomination that holds mainstream views especially when that denomination is the largest in the world.

What is about catholicism that would make people think it is unchristian????? You may disagree with such beliefs as the primacy of the Bishop of Rome or the Real Presence or the Immaculate Conception but at the heart of the catholic faith is the profession of the creeds that I think most would best describe core Christian doctrine.

I suspect it is all some form of post-reformation hangover that extreme protestants need to hold on to to justify their break away.

One can still hold with the authority of the Pope and worship and follow Christ.

I say all the above as an Anglican.

Posts: 397 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and as a host I would add that overt anti-Catholic postings would be a violation of our boardCommandments, specifically the 3rd (it would be a personl attack on Catholic members of these boards), and quite possibly other commandments depending on the tone. The hosts will act accordingly to such postings.

Alan

Purgtory host

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I often wonder why the definition 'Christian' is helpful / necessary? Do we take some kind of sick pride in saying that we are a Christian in the full knowledge that others are not? Do we like to think that we have something that is better than our neighbour - because I certainly do! It's a good feeling to know that you have a better car than someone else, or to lend something expensive to a friend who couldn't afford it. Religion is something that people value very highly - trusting their lives to it - and carrying such value people are very sensitive on such a topic.

Along with Carmel, Septimus, Manx Taffy etc... I'm also concerned about the way so many people question the faith of Catholics. I affiliate myself with the Presbyterian Church but I sometimes wish that I could call myself a Catholic just to avoid the baggage carried by the word 'Christian' (especially in Glasgow where people seem to be very pernickety about it!).

I believe people are a product of past experience (I read too much science fiction) and as such people are always going to fit into a slightly different boat when it comes to faith. (Hopefully without causing offence to people from N. Ireland,) I find it fascinating reading articles about supposed terrorist groups in N. Ireland and thinking about men portrayed as going out to cause upset stopping and praying - there's something there that I cannot understand but it moves me to think more about what faith means to different people.

So what is a ‘Christian’... or is the definition in itself even necessary. Surely it should be something that people who don’t believe in Christ need to debate rather than people who have a faith in Christ?

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too deplore any hint of questioning whether Catholics in general are Christians. I think there are understandable reasons why there is confusion about this.

When I was teaching in universities, I had more than one conversation with Catholic students who distinguished between "Catholics" and "Christians," some of them using "Christian" to mean simply "non-Catholic," but others under the impression that they would be changing religions if they left the Catholic Church and started going to one of the fast-growing non-denominational churches (which are picking up a lot of former Catholics in So Cal). These were all Latino students, and English was a second language for many of them, so that may have been a factor. But a lot of them had been told by the church and/or by their parents that they had to marry Catholics and had been strongly cautioned against worshipping in other churches, especially taking communion, so I thought it was quite understandable that they would see non-Catholic Christians as belonging to a different religion.

On the Protestant side of things, I remember being taught (in my American Baptist Sunday School) "Christian" history as follows: first Jesus, then the early church as discussed in the NT, then the Reformation -- the Catholic Church was mentioned only briefly, which made the point of the Reformation rather unclear, but certainly gave us the idea that Catholics were "dodgy" (wonderful word -- think we should import it).

These are just mild, contemporary examples. If we consider the history of mutual hatred between Protestants and Catholics, it's not at all surprising that some people are still asking whether Catholics are Christians.

One of the great hopes I have for the Ship is that we can do our part to dispel the misunderstanding and suspicion between different groups of Christians that have plagued Christianity for so long.

[edited for sense!]

[ 08 August 2001: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I generally steer clear of purgatory (too many fundies knocking around.)

Host Hat ON

As opposed to too many Anglicans? Or too many Catholics? Or too many liberals?

Septimus, what you posted is a very quiet example of a swipe. I'm not trying to single you out; I'm just trying get to across how easy it is to say something in an off the cuff way that is going to be a blow to someone.

Please handle each other with care, folks. No anti-people comments allowed, as Alan has already pointed out.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
joekidd71
Apprentice
# 1093

- Posted      Profile for joekidd71   Email joekidd71   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is purely my mortal opinion. I believe a Christian is one who believes in the words and actions of Jesus Christ and then puts it into practice. What separates us from humanist bearers of goodwill(these are wonderful unknowing tools of God) is that we believe in Christs deity. I don't think any of the stuff about baptism (I was raised baptist) or even GASP! bodily resurection need destroy my belief in the life of Jesus. Nor should it destroy my belief in his deity.
I am a christian because I love Jesus who loves me and I choose to do as he commanded us in the only words we even pretend to have of his.

Am I simplifying it too much?

--------------------
Peace Sells but whos buyin'?

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

I am saddened that anyone should be distressed at our discussing this. I thought that it was asked in innocence by Amy, because she probably doesn't have any experience of Catholics, and has been told different things by different people.

I have come across people before who have raised this matter, and I myself had some very strange views about Catholics before I became curious, and asked some what they beleived. To my surprise, I found that some of them were more evangelical than I was!

In view of the fact that some prejudices exist, it seemed to me natural to discuss this apparently innocently raised question so that the record could be set straight.

It appears to me that the Catholic Church is more rigorous in its defence of the Christian faith than almost any other part of the church.

But there is more than meets the eye to this question, which is why I framed the thread title as "What Is A Christian?" What exactly does this label mean - clearly different things to different people!

--------------------

Septimus
Shipmate
# 500

- Posted      Profile for Septimus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ruthw: many apologees

[grovel mode engaged]

as you astutely spotted an off the cuff remark which was meant wryly rather than as a sweeping statement of disregard... hang on... was that the other way round.

but absolutely DELIGHTED to be described as "a very quiet example of a swipe"... must have that put on a t-shirt.

in fact it was intended as a sort of sotto voce comment on labelling/stereotypes...

getting back to the first question, and to re-iterate my earlier point I think a christian can be discerned from their behaviour, by the way they live their life.

the belief (aside from the central one in the love of Jesus) often ends up as a red herring....

Imagine a vast Venn diagram. there are many circles, catholic, protestant, etc etc and some of them (GASP) overlap but cutting through them all is the big circle of Christianity (ok maybe it's a three dimensional Venn diagram).

Christianity is a way of life, not a badge.

[except for those fundies]

--------------------
"The man of 'perfect manners' is he who is calmly courteous in all circumstances, as attentive outwardly to the plain and the elderly as he is to the young and the pretty."

Mrs. Humphrey, Manners for Men

Posts: 442 | From: England's Garden Gnome | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freehand

The sound of one hand clapping
# 144

- Posted      Profile for Freehand   Email Freehand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joe Kid, I like your "mortal opinion". I like your definition. It leaves a lot of ambiguity, but that's what I like. I'm sure someone can find a problem with it, like everything else.

Freehand

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child I picked up the idea that Catholics were either non-Christians, or seconds class Christians. I think that the reasonsing behind it was that in my area there seemed to be quite a "cult of Mary". That really set the Presybterians' teeth on edge. Another reason that I can think of is that at that time the local Catholic churches did not want to join in with any encumenical verntures in the town (every other church was involved).

Times have changed and now all of the local churches meet together on occassions. And people are seeing that Catholics are not 'aliens' but neighbours. I think that the former anti-Catholic feeling was because many in the Protestant churches didn't know what went on in a Catholic church and we listened to a few people who like Mr Paisley decided taht Catholics were not Christians.

This idea can still be found in some churches that do not encourage their congregations to think for themselves.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the most popular passtimes for Christians throughout the ages has been deciding who is in and who is out of the club. It gets really interesting when two groups in close proximity decide that they're "in" and their neighbors are "out". Of course, given the convoluted nature of Christian scripture there doesn't seem to be any sort of definitive way to answer this question. Most of the statements I've read on this thread so far seem to eschew doctrinal considerations, but since the differences between Catholic and Protestant seem like hairsplitting from my outsider's perspective, let me posit a more extreme example and see if that gets the ball rolling.

Are followers of the Chrisitian Identity movement Christians?

For those of you unfamiliar with Christian Identity, it is a racist sect with often violent members, primarily based on the second incarnation of the Ku Klux Klan. Despite the unconventional racial theorizations, members claim to accept Jesus as their personal savior and consider themselves to be fully Christian. Does this qualify them as Christians? If not, what factors distinguish them from "real" Christians, if we discount doctrine and dogma as disqualifying factors?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just read the page that you linked to. A great deal of the stuff there is horrible. I have no idea how people can believe in such hatred and violence and claim to be Christians.

Of course, it is only God who sees to the heart, and only God who knows exactly how our lives shape up. I think that all we can go on is people's confession, and on the 'fruits' of their faith. I cannot see how the fruits match up to the confession in this case. I cannot see my God in the descriptions given.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Does this qualify them as Christians? If not, what factors distinguish them from "real" Christians, if we discount doctrine and dogma as disqualifying factors?

Now, I rarely do this but my supressed Evangelicalism is trying to get out so I'm going to have to quote a few passages of Scripture.
quote:
Matthew 7:16
By their fruit you will recognise them

quote:
James 2:17
faith by itself, if it is not accompnied by action is dead

That's enough (my Evangelical tendencies are under control again), I could quote loads more but you get the general idea.

A Christian is not defined by beliefs (although some beliefs would probably be outside the bounds of the Christian faith I wouldn't automtically say that people holding such beliefs are not Christian, just probably mistaken). If, however, the actions of people who profess to be Christians run contrary to everything I see as being Christian I would have reason to doubt whether or not they are Christian.

However, at that point we start walking on thin ice. I would say the actions of Christians during the Crusades are contrary to what I believe to be Christian actions, yet at the time they were largely seen as the Christian thing to do. Who am I, or who are we in the 21st century developed world, to judge whether what people in other cultures see as legitimate for Christians to do? Having included that caveat, I do find the Christian Identity people abhorrant in propogating racist views, and within modern times they should have no excuse for not realising that these views are not acceptable Christian values.

Alan

--------------------

gandalf35
Shipmate
# 934

- Posted      Profile for gandalf35   Email gandalf35   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And what about Mormons and JW's they are generally thought of as being upstanding citizens, although thier thoughts on Christ are radically different.

--------------------
Life is like a bowl of cherries... Mmmm cherries...

Posts: 185 | From: If hell exists, I live there. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
BigAL
Shipmate
# 750

- Posted      Profile for BigAL   Email BigAL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok.... Not wanting to cause offence but here goes:

The problem a lot of Chrisitans have with catholics being Christians is as follows.
As a Christian I belive that Christ died for my sins as a result I am forgiven, no one else but Christ has the power to do that.
Catholics however have confession, nothing wrong with that but then the Priest offers forgiveness (as I understand). I cannot accept as a Christian that no matter how holy a person acts or is they have no power to forgive sins.

You can't be a Christian by going to Church. It is about a relationship with God. Therefore you could go to a Buddish Temple and be a Christian. (doesn't sound healthy but you could)

--------------------
The Bible contains the Answer of that I am certain

Posts: 507 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Hmmm - I don't play the prooftext game, but this practice does have Biblical roots:

John 20:

Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."

And:

James 5 v16

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.

Even so, even if your theology and understanding of Catholicism were both fully correct, why would this little difference make Catholics 'Not Christians'? It seems like people are looking for reasons to be divisive.

--------------------

Manx Taffy
Shipmate
# 301

- Posted      Profile for Manx Taffy   Email Manx Taffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My understanding is that the priest offers forgiveness on behalf of Christ with the apostolic authority invested in him. A perfectly Christian thing to do.

This is not the priest personally providing forgiveness instead of Christ.

If you don't believe in apostolic authority then simply the view the act as one Christian remeniding another of the the forgiveness available through Christ - harmless surely?

Posts: 397 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

I think that the biggest problem Proestant, Orthodox and Pentecostal christians have with accepting Catholics as Christians is that when asked what relgion they are Catholic Christians tend to reply Catholic rather than christian.

Now we have 2 catholic christians on this board saying they prefer to be identified as catholic rather than christian because they perceive that "chriatian" has negative conontations, please I humbly suggest that you consider that by prefering to be indentified as catholics rather than christians you are sending out a message that catholics are somehow different from christians, and hence the question gets asks "can a catholic be a christian?".

I have been an evangelical in the past, and despite the negative images associated with evangelicals, I am happy if I am identified with evangelicals, because have have known (and still know) some wonderful loving evangelical christians, and by identifying with them I hope to project a more positive image of evangelicals - so even though now I am more of a post-evangelical if anyone wants to call me an evangelical I will not take it as an insult.

However if asked my religion even in my most evangelical days I was a christian not an evangelical.

Now to move on to Mormons and JWs etc.
I tend to exclude from the community of Christians those who say that only by following their particular set of beliefs can you be a true follower of "whatever".
I see part of following Jesus is inclusiveness (Those who are not against us are for us).

So any group that says if you do not believe (or in reality do) what we do you are not a christian, probably is not a christian group.
I suppose that cuts out JWs, Mormons, Christian Identity, and several fundie groups, but allows groups who expect you to believe/do certain things but if you do not you can still be a christian e.g. most funadmentalists, those who require apostolic succession, SDAs etc.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It's the old thing about "They're Not Like Us Therefore They Aren't Our Sort Of People", I think.

I would like to thank everyone for their support, especially Septimus. I am just sorry that Amy's question (which I do believe was innocent) needed to be asked in the first place. There is a beauty and richness to the Catholic tradition which I wish I could share - I have no wish to convert anyone as I believe firmly in the individual's right to choose the way they want to worship - it just saddens me that some people are ready to write this off without ever even setting foot in the door of a church.

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Big Al …. No, no, no, no no!

quote:
The problem a lot of Chrisitans have with catholics being Christians is as follows.

As a Christian I belive that Christ died for my sins as a result I am forgiven, no one else but Christ has the power to do that.
Catholics however have confession, nothing wrong with that but then the Priest offers forgiveness (as I understand). I cannot accept as a Christian that no matter how holy a person acts or is they have no power to forgive sins.

The basic problem is that most Protestants don’t have a clue about Catholic belief and practice. People resort to popular prejudice [they worship Mary you know ..] rather than actually taking the trouble to find out what’s true. [Although this also works the other way around].

BigAl, your comments reveal a common misunderstanding but aren't strictly true.

The Priest offers forgiveness in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. He doesn't offer you the forgiveness himself.

What happens in Confession [or the Sacrament of Reconcilation] is that you and the Priest talk about what's going on in your life, you will pray together and the Priest will suggest things you can do to put things right. Once all this is done, the Priest will forgive you in God's name.

It’s actually no different to talking stuff over with a trusted friend, praying it through and being assured by them of God’s forgiveness. Sometimes people need that … I can’t be the only one who sometimes wonders if God’s really forgiven me for x and then asked him about it again just to be sure …

If you really want to know what happens and an explanation of why then the following URLs may be useful:

Father Pat - Reconcilation

This includes wordings used and explains the whole process really well.

Catholic FAQs

This gives some useful background.

Ask a Catholic!

An opportunity to ask those questions which you've always wondered about but wouldn't ask a Catholic friend to their face

I can't quite believe that we're seriously discussing if Catholics are Christiansas I bet we'd never have such a discussion about Anglicans, Baptists or the like!

And I agree with everyone who's basically said that as soon as you define what a Christian is you're bound to exclude someone. That is, after all, the whole purpose of definations.

Much as it grieves me to agree with my hubby the word used most commonly to describe a believer in Christ during Biblical times was disciple or follower. Someone who looked at the example that Jesus said and followed it to the best of their ability And that's probably the best defination - it doesn't include or exclude anyone. Which is probably why we uncomfortable with it

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Old Hundredth
Shipmate
# 112

- Posted      Profile for Old Hundredth   Email Old Hundredth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lived in France for a year as an English language assistant, and one day a pupil came up to me in the playground. 'Miss', she said, 'are you a Christian..' and I was just about to say yes when she continued '...or a Protestant?' She seemed slightly baffled when I said I was both.

In France, despite the official separation of church and state, there is still an underlying assumption, even in officialdom, that anything not Catholic is secular (eg Protestant churches are officially classed as secular buildings). And you are not allowed to give your kids names which don't appear on the almanac of saints' names. Friends of mine (a pastor and his wife) ran into this problem when choosing non-traditional, non-French names for their kids and had to supplement them with a trad French saint's name for the sake of bureaucracy. I think this might have relaxed a bit in recent years but when I first met them in the 70s they had been given quite a hard time by the registrar.

--------------------
If I'm not in the Chapel, I'll be in the bar (Reno Sweeney, 'Anything Goes')

Posts: 976 | From: The land of the barm cake | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

Sorry, Astro posted this while I was composing my uber post

quote:
Now we have 2 catholic christians on this board saying they prefer to be identified as catholic rather than christian because they perceive that "chriatian" has negative conontations,

Yyeess [in her best Jeremy Paxman but I know of Baptists and Anglicans who do the same thing. They don't get asked the same question.

The truth of the matter is that there is alot of prejudice on both sides of the Protestant / Catholic divide. But just because it's an acceptable prejudice doesn't mean that people should seek to justify it in some way. [They do this ... they say that ... That's why we say these things]

There is a wonderful story about two missionaries - one Catholic and one Protestant - who worked in the same area and met for tea every so often. When one of them got sent home, the conversation went as follows:

Protestant: It's been wonderful working together to serve the Lord. I shall miss it.

Catholic: Yes I shall too. You serving the Lord in your way and me in His.

[Have also heard the story told the other way around].

Tubbs

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Astro:
I think that the biggest problem Proestant, Orthodox and Pentecostal christians have with accepting Catholics as Christians is that when asked what relgion they are Catholic Christians tend to reply Catholic rather than christian.

I do not, and have never, known any Catholics who have a problem accepting Protestants, Orthodox and Pentecostals as Christians.

quote:

I see part of following Jesus is inclusiveness (Those who are not against us are for us).

If I remember correctly from my A level theology course somewhere else in the Gospels it says exactly the reverse. (Those who are not for us are against us.)

For me a Christian is, simply, a follower of Christ. Someone who tries more than occasionally to follow the teachings and message of the Gospels. I often think that some churches (and I mean in the sense of actual buildings with priests in them) would do well to compare their style with the simple, radical message of the Gospels from time to time and see whether what they say and do is in conflict with this. This can apply just as well to people. It is something of a cliche but "what would Jesus do/say" is not unhelpful. I do not believe that the Christian Identity people qualify as Christians. Anyone can call themself one. It is actually living according to the spirit of the Gospels that makes you one.

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was once at a Churches Together Pentecost service where the highly enthusiastic (charismatic) preacherman was jolly excited about all the Christians coming together to sorship. He asked "Are there any Anglicans?" then Methodists, then Baptists, then Congregationalists. He got good responses from the various reps in the congregation. However, he then proceeded to his next bit when Anglican and Baptist people shouted out, quite correctly, that he'd forgotten to ask if there were any Roman Catholics there as well.

Whilst at college, a good friend of mine nearly left a CU pryer meeting because someone else (from a strict Baptist church) prayed for the conversion of Catholics to Christianity.

In my old univ town the Anglican church (big, vibrant, charismatic) doesn't join in the March for Jesus anymore. However, it's organised by one of the other churches in the town....the St Winifred's (Roman Catholic) parish church.

It really seems to me that some parts of the Protestant church, particularly those who see nothing good between 100 and 1500 CE except for Tyndale, are still fighting 16th and 17th century battles, not having realised what Trent did, not having noticed Vatican II and not realising where Catholicism sees itself. Ok, we have the occasional official pronouncement like Ratzinger's on the validity of other churches, but the reality of the matter is that on local levels, where people actually talk to each other as equals, people from different denominations know that they have common ground. A wise Orthodox monk (who's name I've forgotten) once said, "We may say where the Spirit is - but we cannot say where the Spirit is not." Pronouncements by one group against another that they are or are not "Christians" need to be viewed with extreme skepticism - church history, if it teaches us only one thing, shows that very often such pronouncements come out of ingorance of the others' position, pride and rivalry.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016