Thread: Kan yu speell? Board: Heaven / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012996

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

Not so long ago a friend of mine and I were sitting in the pub, talking about language. I confessed to a word that I have to pause before spelling: syrup. It just looks wrong to me. If I'm careless or in a rush, I almost always write syrop. Now, English is my mother tongue, but I took French throughout school, and grew up with a community with a large francophone minority, so that perhaps explains whence comes the 'o'; except that "syrop" is wrong in French, as well. If I'm writing in French, I always spell it correctly ("sirop"). I joke that with "syrop" I truly am Canadian - wrong in both languages. (The joke about PM Chretien was that he could speak neither official language.)

Do shipmates have a word, or words, that consistently throw(s) them off?

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Syrup drives me crazy, but it's the pronunciation of it as sear'ip. Hate it.

Coupon should be q-pawn. Except when wrongly pronounced as coo-pawn. Tuesday said chewsday is a little too much.

Can't day I get Quran replacing Koran or Muslim replacing Moslem. They're said about the same. There's also the savants who claim Taoism is said daoism with a d. But then half the people put badderies in their electrical things instead of batteries. In Newfoundland people go to the badroom to take a bath. My favorite island.

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

"January" and "February" have long been the hangnails of my spelling-ability. I actually have to think about the French spelling of the latter to get it right(even though I don't speak French), but I still got tripped up writing them together in this post, because they follow different correlations between spelling and pronunciation(in everyday speech, they are both pronounced without the "r" sound at the beginning, but "January" omits the letter itself, whereas "February" just reduces or silences it.)

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

I always have to use a mnemonic to spell rhythm:

Rhythm Has Your Two Hips Moving

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

I can spell, always have been able to. Typing correctly is another matter.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:

Like you, everything that's nearly the same in French and English: responsability, adress... and I can't bring myself to use the OED-approved English forms -ize and -ization, preferring -ise and -isation, even though some words barely exist with that form. I see it as my little translator's quirk.

The last part of my post above should read...

quote:
(in everyday speech, they are both pronounced without the "r" sound at the beginning, but "January" omits the letter itself, whereas "February" leaves it in.)

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:

Thanks for that.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

I'm with Eutychus on the -ize/ise divide. Even my spell checker agrees with me. And "focussed" with a double s is logical, whereas "focused" is not.

But then, who said that English is a logical language?

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

quote:

That is one I always leave to the spellchecker.

The word that always seems to throw me is jaccuzi. I can never spell it, because I always seem to pronounce it jazucci (at least in my head). Fortunately, it is not a word I often use.

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
I'm with Eutychus on the -ize/ise divide. Even my spell checker agrees with me.

For a spell (ha ha) I had a client who insisted on the -ize spelling. To achieve this, I set the Word spell-checker to US English to catch all the relevant endings and then set it back to UK English, which would accept them as well as -ise.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I have dyslexia so most words do this to me. The words also float around on the page. I don’t bother reading text without line breaks, it’s too tiring.

When I was a teacher I was the best at teaching spelling as I understood just how much time, patience and effort it takes some children to learn the simplest words.

When I was a headteacher I got Admin to check every single written document. People are very judgmental about poor spelling and see it as lack of intelligence, which far from the truth.

As a child we were lined up in class if we got less than 5/10 for spelling tests. We had to stand there until the end of the morning then we were whacked with a ruler. Teachers assumed it was lack of effort. Truth is we take ten times the effort over every single piece of writing we do.

Can I get an ‘aaaaaymen’ and ‘praaaiyyyseee the Lorrrrrrd’ for computers. Spell checks and predictive text?

[Overused]

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
which far from the truth.

Which is far from the truth

/ducks and runs

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
which far from the truth.

Which is far from the truth

/ducks and runs

[Razz] [Razz]

I'm just glad I'm not the only one that does that sort of thing!

Predictive text is a mixed blessing, though, as is voice-to-text. My Dragon sometimes takes itself for a prophetic voice, writing things like "incompetent management" instead of "innovative management" for my clients [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
I'm just glad I'm not the only one that does that sort of thing!

Predictive text is a mixed blessing, though, as is voice-to-text. My Dragon sometimes takes itself for a prophetic voice, writing things like "incompetent management" instead of "innovative management" for my clients [Hot and Hormonal]

Help!

Yes, some typos are more embarrassing than others. Some are marvellously amusing too. I have a lot of blind friends and some of their voice to text missives are really funny.

Full body cringe typos.

Yesterday the children in my art class spent a whole lesson designing some inspiring words, things they want to feel eg -happy, proud, challenged, successful, caring kind.

I checked the words before they started colouring them. See my room blog for one result.

[Waterworks]

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
quote:

Like you, everything that's nearly the same in French and English: responsability, adress... and I can't bring myself to use the OED-approved English forms -ize and -ization, preferring -ise and -isation, even though some words barely exist with that form. I see it as my little translator's quirk.
I stick to 'ise' and 'isation' for all purposes. I was taught long ago, but I can't remember when or where, that the OED principle was that words derived from Greek should have a 'z' because that was how Greek declines. But it was a far worse solecism to put a 'z' in words that don't, like spelling 'realise', which I think is a borrowing from medieval French, 'realize'. So, as I don't really know Greek, and cannot accurately guess which words drive from Greek or Latin, and as other publishers didn't then follow that level of pedantry, I've stuck to 'ise' for all of them and intend to continue to do so.

And so say all of us. (More or less.)

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

A few place names - particularly Leicester and Gloucester.

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

I stumble over describing my brother's daughter. "Niece" but I am likely to write "neice." Yes, I know the old "i" before "e" rule, but some words are weird. Or wierd. Whatever.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

"Weird" looks weird and "yacht" doesn't look right however you spell it. Use "ketch", "dinghy" or "sailing boat" instead because just as most ships aren't ships, few yachts are true yachts.

As a railway enthusiast I am annoyed when "gauge" is misspelt, usually "guage".

Though and through are thoroughly puzzling.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

The spelling of "language" makes the spelling of "gauge" visually wrong, although there is a change in pronunciation.

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

I'm derailing myself, here, but in a different pub conversation, a different friend of mine and I were discussing -ough. I'm missing two(?), but off the top of my head:
though (long o)
through (oo)
rough (uf)
cough (awf)
bough (ow)
thought (aw)

Of course, some regional and class accent differences.

[ 08. February 2018, 15:26: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

I usually spell occasion wrongly (ocassion) but was told to remember that one might occasionally wear two Collars and one Sleeve ( = 2 cs and 1 s)

Bureaucracy would get me all of a tizz until I realised it was from the French (?) word bureau - and now, no problems!

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

I had a co-worker who could not spell to save his life, but was convinced that he was a great speller. After I left work for the day, he'd go into my computer (this was before the days that everything was password-protected), and "correct" my bad spelling.

Stupid Pigwidgeon put a "p" in the middle of "pumpkin." He couldn't hear a "p" pronounced, so it obviously didn't belong. He also removed the "t" from "mortgage" for the same reason.

I had a dictionary on my desk, which he could have consulted if he hadn't been so stubborn.

(My spellchecker -- this was MS-DOS -- was worthless. It tried to change "Bach" to "Bitch." [Eek!] )

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

In answer to the OP, noh.

Wot is this spel-ling ov wich u spik?

[Cool]

IJ

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

I'm a good at spelling. I think it just comes naturally. Although, I do remember calling my grandmother up to ask her to spell a word for me as I was busy writing a letter and didn't have a dictionary at hand. You may think this is a normal thing to do but I was living thousands of kilometres away from her in the high arctic and she only had a grade six education and thought it quite ridiculous that I would waste money on the phone call. Boy could she spell!

There is something about seeing a word spelled incorrectly that makes it jump out at me. It is as if every word on the page fades into the background and that one word is highlighted in neon flashing lights. It's good if you need to read something over for someone. But it is awfully hard in this day and age as no one really seems to care if things follow convention or not.

[ 08. February 2018, 16:03: Message edited by: lily pad ]

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

quote:
As a child we were lined up in class if we got less than 5/10 for spelling tests. We had to stand there until the end of the morning then we were whacked with a ruler. Teachers assumed it was lack of effort. Truth is we take ten times the effort over every single piece of writing we do.

While never diagnosed as dyslexic, spelling has also always been an extra challenge for me. And while I never had anything as traumatic as what you describe happen to me, I definitely scored more than a few 0's on quizzes in a particular teacher's class, based solely on her policy that even if you got the content of the answer correct, one spelling error meant 0 credit. The worst part of that one was that we were grading eachother's papers, so it was luck of the draw on who was grading your paper in terms of their proofreading skills and willingness to fail a fellow student. (My wife has defended that policy, as one spelling error can also get a job application thrown in the trash. We actually had a rare emotional argument about this one.)

I have no concept of vowel order. I'm useless at jumbles and word scramble games. And I have to be extra careful when proofreading, because my eyes gloss over the errors and see the correct word based on context. At least it's a decent answer in job interviews when they ask about my biggest weakness, as I can at least talk about what I have done to remedy my issues.

TL/DR: Spellcheck and Google (a godsend when you don't know which version of a homophone spelling is correct) are my friends.

Og - I now have a postgraduate degree in SPLD (dyslexia) but wasn’t diagnosed until I was 50 years old. That diagnosis helped me a lot as I was able to ‘forgive’ myself and become confident in standing up for myself and other poor spellers.

I think your wife was wrong. If the paper wasn’t about spelling why mark down for it? When applying for a job get it read and re-read and re-read again. I was never impressed with poor applications when selecting for interview. Not because they couldn’t spell but because they hadn’t bothered to have it checked for them. One of the biggest skills and coping strategies with this condition is never to assume your writing passes muster.

[Smile]

That teacher's "0 policy" seems rather draconian to me. I remember one high school teacher (history) reminding us, whenever he assigned an essay, "And remember - spelling and grammar count," to be met with plaintive cries of "Oh, sir!" (This is when essays were handwritten, so my OED was my spellcheck.) He wouldn't fail someone for poor spelling or grammar, but they certainly had an impact on the grade.

Funny thing is, I sometimes do editorial work. I'm very conscious of the few words that trip me up consistently. Fortunately, "syrup" doesn't often pop up in market reports, consulting analyses, etc.

[ 08. February 2018, 16:40: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

quote:
Not because they couldn’t spell but because they hadn’t bothered to have it checked for them. One of the biggest skills and coping strategies with this condition is never to assume your writing passes muster.

This is definitely where I land. One of my wife's mantras is "don't be a 'c' student"- which is her way of saying, don't do any job in a way that clearly displays to anyone watching that you don't care about the final product and have other things you would rather be doing. For me, this means looking, looking again, googling homophones that spellcheck won't catch, and then having someone else look over it- something I couldn't have done during a pop quiz.

Posted by Higgs Bosun (# 16582) on :

quote:
quote:

I'm derailing myself, here, but in a different pub conversation, a different friend of mine and I were discussing -ough. I'm missing two(?), but off the top of my head:
though (long o)
through (oo)
rough (uf)
cough (awf)
bough (ow)
thought (aw)

thorough (uh)

This reminds me of when I lived in Milton Keynes. Three of the villages absorbed into the new town have names with -oughton at the end:

Broughton (B-raw-ton)
Loughton (L-ow-ton, 'ow' as in cow)
Woughton (Woof-ton)

These within a few miles of each other.

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Bureaucracy would get me all of a tizz until I realised it was from the French (?) word bureau - and now, no problems!

Both of those always get me because the start of the word sounds the same as the start of 'beautiful'. So I instinctively think they should be spelled 'beaureau' and 'beaurocracy'. But because the 2nd letter is wrong, it never gets picked up by a spellchecker.

hiccough - up

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

I'm one of the lucky ones - spelling never gave me any bother at all.

A couple of words I always have to think about though (especially if they appear as "down" clues in crossword puzzles):

necessary - I only sorted out the respective number of 'c's and 's's when I found out that the Latin word was "necesse". My Better Half (who went to an old-fashioned grammar school and studied Latin for far longer than I did) remembers it the technical way: one collar, two socks. [Big Grin]

rhythm - no matter where I put the first 'h', it doesn't look quite right.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

Re: necessary. A friend uses 'never eat chips eat salad sandwiches and remain young', if that's of any help.

Spellcheck can be useful, but never trust MS grammarcheck especially for fiction. It tried to correct the phrase 'the cock started crowing' to 'the clock started crowing' in something I was reading yesterday. I think it only accounts for a word on either side and so misses the sense of complicated sentences.

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

I think Egypt is simply beyond the pale.

I think one of the most difficult words is "occurrence" (I had a teacher who included it on almost every spelling quiz). It has three points which can trip you up: one "c" or two, one "r" or two, and does it end with "ence" or "ance"?

Benefit. Or is it benifit?

[ 09. February 2018, 06:30: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

Actually I struggle with ressurrection - two ss? two rs? Argh.

Posted by Stejjie (# 13941) on :

Privilege - I always have to think which way round the second 'i' and the 'e' go (though I note that I managed to spell it right first go that time!)

(I then managed to spell 'spell' wrong. Sigh...)

This morning I was struggling with "pigeon" primarily because I am a fan of old movies and I want to spell it "pidgeon." I blame Walter.

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
This morning I was struggling with "pigeon" primarily because I am a fan of old movies and I want to spell it "pidgeon." I blame Walter.

You're not alone. There are lots of hampsters around too.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... few yachts are true yachts.

According to the Olympics, a windsurfer is a type of yacht.

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

It is nacht!

We were taught in school that where there is a single consonant following a vowel the vowel should say its name, i.e. ay ee eye oh and yoo.

When the consonant is double, the preceding vowel has the short form.

Which is why I tend to spell shaddow with two ds. It has 'a' short a therefore a double consonant follows, them is the rules*.

It took me a long time to realise that constonant has no t. I always pronounced it that way, no one ever corrected me. As for February, I always got that right as I was taught to pronounce both rs.

===

[Grammar tangent]*I was not sure if 'they are' or 'those are' was correct, so as I was sure to be wrong... [/tangent]

quote:
quote:
quote:

It is nacht!
[Big Grin]

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Actually I struggle with ressurrection - two ss? two rs? Argh.

Lots of people struggle with resurrection. Normally on a more philosophical level though.

Privelige is one that gets me too. I want ot put a 'd' in it, and can never work out whether it is -ege, -ige, -edge, or -idge. Or something else.

Of course, when typing I have a whole new set of issues. I think "hte" should be in the dictionary - I can spell it, I just can't type it.

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Of course, when typing I have a whole new set of issues. I think "hte" should be in the dictionary - I can spell it, I just can't type it.

Many years ago some clever clogs amended the compiler for a block-structured computer language so that it would give warnings for common misspellings, such as "NED input without a corresponding EBGIN".

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

I’m often struck by my fingers’ ability to type just what they hear (even when I’m typing silently) without regard to sense - their/ there / they’re or hear/ here are typical. My eyes instantly know the words are wrong as soon as I see them.

quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
quote:
quote:

though (long o)
through (oo)
rough (uf)
cough (awf)
bough (ow)
thought (aw)

thorough (uh)

This reminds me of when I lived in Milton Keynes. Three of the villages absorbed into the new town have names with -oughton at the end:

Broughton (B-raw-ton)
Loughton (L-ow-ton, 'ow' as in cow)
Woughton (Woof-ton)

These within a few miles of each other.

Very interesting about the village names, belying any explanation on the basis of region.

On the question of 'thorough', both my friend and I pronounce the second syllable with a long 'o'. Webster's is the only dictionary that I have at hand at the moment, and it gives it as a schwa, agreeing with you; Hence my allowance for regional or class differences in pronunciation.

BTW, tangentially, I've noticed a relatively recent trend, and one gaining momentum, at least in North America, for the 'o' in 'to' to degrade to a schwa, even on news casts. I.e., "tuh".

quote:
... I think "hte" should be in the dictionary - I can spell it, I just can't type it.

Along with tge, which is how it almost always comes out when I'm using the Tablet, causing swearing.

[ 09. February 2018, 23:07: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
quote:

though (long o)
through (oo)
rough (uf)
cough (awf)
bough (ow)
thought (aw)

I have on several occasions wondered about the correct pronunciation (which should be spelled pronounciation!) of Brenda Clough's name!
[Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by aliehs (# 18878) on :

What a wonderful topic.
I have always been a reasonably good speller, due no doubt to my early introduction to books and reading. I can never remember not being able to read. I read on the ship on the way to Australia when I was three, [can't remember the voyage either].But now that I am getting older, errors keep creeping in- or I write a word , and it just doesn't look right. Typing is even worse, since I am not a touch typist, and gaze at the keyboard, going hell for leather, and then look up at the screen , to find lots of red lines. And then I still miss some things, like misplaced apostrophes, or lack of spaces between words.
I got stuck on scissors of all things, the other day. All those "s"s. However, the thing that incenses me most are the misspelt signs on shop windows. Wouldn't you think they would know the names of the things they are selling? Rant over.

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
quote:

though (long o)
through (oo)
rough (uf)
cough (awf)
bough (ow)
thought (aw)

I have on several occasions wondered about the correct pronunciation (which should be spelled pronounciation!) of Brenda Clough's name!
[Hot and Hormonal]

Hiccough?

The other two sounds have been listed:
Higgs Bosun posted "thorough" - uh

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
hiccough - up

There's a rhyme about this, Chaos by Charivarius, which ends:
quote:
Finally, which rhymes with enough --
Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?
Hiccough has the sound of cup.
My advice is to give up!!!

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

'The rough coated dough faced ploughboy walked coughing and hiccoughing through the streets of Scarborough' is what I learnt.

I'm another who has always been quite good at spelling, and love the eccentricity of it. But I'm also* another who only learnt how to spell 'necessary' when I learnt the Latin!

M.

*which usually comes out as 'alos' when I type.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

quote:

Praise God! I've always struggled with this word.

Thank you Gill H.

The spelling I kept getting wrong until I was told the Latin derivation was separate. I now remember that it's based on the same root as part and pare. Similar to the derivation of benefit being coming from the Latin for good - bene.

I remember necessary as it has a s sound and similar words with a double c, like success, sound both a c and a s.

Posted by Weatherwax (# 11920) on :

I've also been lucky in being a good speller, but rhythm is one word I usually have to think about.

Years ago, I developed a habit of mispronouncing certain words to remember silent letters, repeating letters or strange letter order - ConneKt-i-cut, for example, or remember that separate has "a rat" inside. I might hiss necessssssary, or say two Ks and roll a double R for ok-kurrrrrrance. Weird is weeee-iiiird. I don't usually mispronounce said words in conversation, just in my mind. Usually works!

My son had a very difficult time with spelling, even though he was always an avid reader. I would make up little sayings to help him remember word parts.

Possession possesses four s's with an e in between helped a lot.

quote:

It would be pronounced 'cluff' here, with the 'u' varying according to which part of the country one comes from. In some parts of the country, it appears in quite a lot of place names. But I've no idea whether that's correct for her.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

How about jewellery? (Not sure if this is right, but it's what the spell checker came up with). It certainly doesn't look right to me!

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

Your jewellery looks spot on to me, St Gwladys (flirt, flirt).

I can spell - in fact, I like to think I can spell very well - I'm just a bloody awful tripeist, which gets me in all sorts of trouble. When I was putting all my family history bumf on computer more time ago than I care to think, I had particular trouble with the name Joseph, which always, always, came out first time as Jospeh...

AG

[ 10. February 2018, 20:14: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

Posted by HCH (# 14313) on :

I remember this one: "Though the tough cough and hiccough, plough him through thoroughly." That may or may not be an exhaustive list of how to pronounce "ough".

How about the confusing pronunciation of read:
[ as in the act of perusing a book] = sounds like reed
[ as in having perused a book] = red
[ as in the town]= Redding
[as in the act of perusing a book, or speaking the lesson at church] = reeding.
We have a local[Australian] cinema chain which is Readings [ pronounced Reddings], and a really good book store whose name is Readings[ pronounced Reedings]. Controversy doesn't quite rage about the pronunciation of the Cinema chain, but it gets called both.

In my family "auto correct" is known as "auto cucumber". My biggest fusses with it is that it likes to correct spelling to the wrong spelling as the Canadian market doesn't warrant its own dictionary apparently. Canadian spelling uses counsellor, traveller, with double Ls, and cheque, barbeque, but tire and curb. Among others. (I know, I know, some Canadians don't care nor use the spellings I learned 50+ years ago)

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

The city of Tucson. I always want to spell it "Tuscon". (It's pronounced "Too-sahn".)

I was always slightly jarred by the intrusive "K" in "skating rink."

jacobsen--

Which "k"? Thx.

and then there's "secetery" rather than "secretary.
Another of the things I find irritating is when people use "stationery" when they mean "stationary" and vice versa. And "off" and "of".

But whoever mentioned "jewellery" is spot on. I always have to look at it twice.

And I give up using some words like the word for being charitable that starts off "elem' there's a 'y' in it somewhere and an "ary" at the end ,and a 'mos' somewhere in between. I give up. Just use charitable instead.

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
jacobsen--

Which "k"? Thx.

In "rink". Sorry GK, I should have specified. To me it was, being circular, a ring.

Because eleemosynary was a new word I looked it up and there's a great quote on the site:
quote:
you might find that remembering how to spell "eleemosynary" makes you tend to use its synonym "charitable" instead. The good people of early England had mercy on themselves when it came to spelling and shortened the root of "eleemosynary," the Latin eleemosyna, to "ælmes,"
So that's the derivation of alms too.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

My friend's surname is Fetherstonhaugh - which of course you all know is pronounced Fanshaw.

I still pronounce Ikea as eekayah, having first met with the place when I was living in Germany 35 years ago. Can't get used to Aikeeyah even now.

quote:
I still pronounce Ikea as eekayah, having first met with the place when I was living in Germany 35 years ago. Can't get used to Aikeeyah even now.

The only time I've been in an IKEA was in Sweden, and they pronounced it Ick-ee-ah there!

quote:
quote:

The only time I've been in an IKEA was in Sweden, and they pronounced it Ick-ee-ah there!
Then they need to stop spelling it with a capital I [Biased]

quote:
The city of Tucson. I always want to spell it "Tuscon". (It's pronounced "Too-sahn".)

It's only within the last year or two that I discovered that place isn't pronounced Tucksǝn!

Posted by Galilit (# 16470) on :

Wait till you are working in another language and another script ... just today someone said he was forwarding me something that might interest me...
written by the Archbishop of Canterbury ...
Justin WALLABY

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

Re IKEA- surely the only correct pronunciation is 'Yuckier'?

M.

quote:
Originally posted by M.:

M.

IKscrewEA,

There always an extra screw.

quote:
Originally posted by M.:

M.

No.

See my ‘room’ blog, our house is full of Ikea stuff, I love it 😊💕

Posted by Higgs Bosun (# 16582) on :

quote:
Originally posted by aliehs:

Another of the things I find irritating is when people use "stationery" when they mean "stationary" and vice versa. And "off" and "of".

When equipping a new office a few years back, I found a stationery cupboard which was on wheels, i.e. not stationary. Despite this, my recommendation to buy was not accepted.

One word I can never ever spell is 'diarrhoea'. Yes, I just had to copy & paste it.

I prefer to spell it 'dire rear' as that sounds exactly the same and gives an accurate description (but not too graphic) of the condition.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

Then they need to stop spelling it with a capital I [Biased]
Why would a capital change the pronunciation? English is weird; the rest of Europe understands that long I goes 'ee'. Cf. That island which is correctly pronounced Eebeetha (or arguably - eetha) , with no eyes. We're terrible. Cf also "choritso"

I am well aware that Delia Smith is responsible for that one, and the Great Vowel Shift most of the other ones.

It’s not so much the capital as the lack of double k or ck.

So Hikea would be ‘aye’ but Hikkea would be ‘i’ as in lid.

But, of course, Ikea isn’t an English word and us English do so like to pronounce things in our own sweet way [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
... I had particular trouble with the name Joseph, which always, always, came out first time as Jospeh...

I have that trouble with Louise, which has an unfortunate habit of coming out as Lousie.

No offence meant ... [Big Grin]

And have you ever tried typing opportunity when you're in a hurry?

I have trouble writing my own (four letter) name! I can’t count the number of times I’ve spoiled lovely cards by spelling my own name wrong [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

When typing I have to be careful, since secretary is easily mis-typed as secretart, and in previous years I appear to have found a new town near Milton Keynes called Newpoet Pagnell (it should be Newport Pagnell).

A few years ago my brother and I were both amused/annoyed by Microsoft's suggestion that instead of writing papers about boreholes we meant to write about brothels... good thing we both always turn as much of the autocorrect options as possible off. [Biased]

When it comes to typing quickly, I am prone to two particular mistakes.

A mountainous country in central Europe, famed for its holey cheese and cuckoo clocks often comes out as Swizterland.

My religious outlook on life also leads, all too often, to adding an extra 't' whenever I address an email to anyone called Chris.

At least you kept the e in holey - otherwise your religious tendency would be overdoing things. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
One word I can never ever spell is 'diarrhoea'. Yes, I just had to copy & paste it.

But on this side of the Pond it's spelled "diarrhea."

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

As is now traditional in this sort of thread, I must mention the early 90s spellchecker (was it Word or maybe even WordPerfect?) that tried to turn my essay on a Baltic republic into a diplomatic incident by turning every occurence of Latvia into labia.

AG

Many years ago,when I went into Grade 1 , [as a precociously accomplished reader] I was devastated when the primer's first page was the five vowels, and I was told that I pronounced them incorrectly.They wanted me to use the phonic version; and rebellious even then, I didn't see the point. I could read, couldn't I? And as for Bob and Jane , not to mention their dog, well!

Insufferable brat that I was, I had been given Wind in the Willows for Christmas, and had read it in the summer holidays before the commencement of school. And of course I had an English accent, received BBC at school, until I worked out no one knew what I was saying, and adapted accent to circumstances: Yorkshire[ refined] at home, BBC when out, and Australian when at school. It had the effect that I unconsciously picked up the accent and intonation of places I visited, so I came back from a 2 week placement in Swansea speaking very Welsh.

When I got back from my five year stint in Germany, some people commented that I spoke with a slight German accent. Probably a wind-up.

After the first year of my A level studies, I spent a few weeks in Switzerland over the summer, helping a family look after their children. I came back with an increased knowledge of Swiss German vocab, which didn't help much as it's really the equivalent of something like Glaswegian.

However, in my oral exam, the examiner turned out to be Swiss! I greeted him enthusiastically with a 'Gruezi!' and sailed through.

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

No Prophet wrote:
quote:
Coupon should be q-pawn. Except when wrongly pronounced as coo-pawn. Tuesday said chewsday is a little too much.
Ha! That is apparently a N. American regional variant pronunciation. I haven't heard it on this side of the pond, but no doubt somebody will put me straight on that directly.

Coopon or Cyoopon? (though sadly not including Canada).

My children and dear wife say differently than me (they would also say 'differently than I'). My father is responsible for my manner of speech. I also say "khaki" like car-key if I'm being myself. As I've aged I actually observe myself code-switching (if that it the correct term), e.g., schedule as sked-jŭl or shed-yule.

It's pop, never soda.

[ 13. February 2018, 16:28: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

Not sure how else you'd say khaki. And Tuesday is Chewsday to me.

In the US it is often pronounced kakky, as in ‘Check out my new kakky pants’ which reduces passing Brits to hysterical laughter.

Boogie--

quote:
But, of course, Ikea isn’t an English word and us English do so like to pronounce things in our own sweet way [Smile]

Like various forms of "contribute". The US puts the primary stress on the second syllable. You folks evidently put it on the first syllable.
[Ultra confused]

Ye olde "two nations separated by a common language".
[Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
My friend's surname is Fetherstonhaugh - which of course you all know is pronounced Fanshaw.

There was an episode of "Nanny & The Professor" where the British nanny explained this kind of thing. She had a relative named Chomandley Featherstoneshaw.*

It was pronounced "Chumley Fenshaw".

*Spelling approximate.

As we learned in the fascinating BBC series on IKEA last night, it isn’t a real word. It’s based on the founder’s initials IK. So I guess you can pronounce it any way you wish.

I usually go for Ai-kee-a based on the Mitch Benn ‘Viking metal’ song.

IKEA - Mitch Benn

quote:
There was an episode of "Nanny & The Professor" where the British nanny explained this kind of thing. She had a relative named Chomandley Featherstoneshaw.*

It was pronounced "Chumley Fenshaw".

*Spelling approximate.

It's more usually spelt 'Cholmondley'. People have been known to joke about a fictitious person, who inherited the name, but alas only spelt 'Chumley'. And Featherstonehaugh is usually pronounced 'Fanshaw', not 'Fenshaw'.

My family also joked about another fictitious person who pronounced their name as 'Mrs Siddy-Bowtahm', with the stress on the last syllable.

Yes, as a warning to USians, 'Check out my new kakky pants’ would imply to British ears, a different shade of brown and a very embarrassing accident, one to which most people would not want to draw attention.

Posted by John3000 (# 18786) on :

I enjoyed the picture of the boldly titled "Remember that you are butt dust" service booklet doing the rounds on twitter this morning.

I can't compete with kakky pants or butt dust.

I use one of the hidden functions of Google regularly. The define: function.

I have already used it in my blog this morning over the s or c in practi*e. It works by typing "define:word into Google, which then comes out with the definition.

Of course (not of coarse) I needed the word practise. I never fail to get that one wrong.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

This weekend an American friend was running round in a panic asking "Have you seen Erin? We need Erin!", and I'm looking at her in a confused fashion and thinking "we don't have an Erin in our church. Is this a new person I don't know?"

Turns out she was looking for Aaron.

IKEA (I-kay-yah) comes from:
Ingvar
Kamprad [who grew up in]
Elmtaryd [farm in]
Agunnaryd

Posted by Martha (# 185) on :

I am usually a good speller but I always have to pause when spelling "broccoli" and think 1 C, 2 L's? Or 2 C's, 1 L?

I know brocolli is wrong when I've written it, but I still want to write it every time.

And it took a dictionary to convince me I was wrong about dessicate.

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

Agree about broccoli. Have convinced myself it doesn’t really matter how I spell it on my shopping list.
I get in a speeling tangle over exercise, exited and excited. [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
I get in a speeling tangle over exercise, exited and excited. [Hot and Hormonal]

C after the X every time for me too. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:

C after the X every time for me too. [Roll Eyes]
The word "sheriff" -- I can never remember if it's two Rs or two Fs.

QUOTE FROM A CORRESPONDENT ON MESSENGER:

"STUFF THE INTERNMENT" and "SCREEN MUNCH".

She is an American.
What she meant was :
"Use the internet" and "Take a photo of the screen."

Quite like the idea of stuffing the Interment. And screen munch has a certain ring to it!

Screen Munch sounds like one of those 'Here's some crazy stuff we found on TV' programmes.

posted by Martha
quote:
I know brocolli is wrong when I've written it, but I still want to write it every time.
You probably don't need to write it at all.

What most in the UK call brocolli is actually calabrese whereas real broccoli looks like this.

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

I have always understood that the calabrese is broccoli whereas the other specimens are known as broccolini. Well, that is how we refer to them where I live. I like broccoli but dislike broccolini.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Never heard of broccolini - it sounds like a nasty infection in one's lungs.

They're all cruciform vegetables, List here. Variations on one basic plant, where leaves and stems etc are emphasized in the species. Cruciform means cross-shaped and refers to the flowers. I have never seen a broc flower myself.

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... I think "hte" should be in the dictionary - I can spell it, I just can't type it.

Along with tge, which is how it almost always comes out when I'm using the Tablet, causing swearing.
Clearly you'll need to give up that word for Lent. I don't mean the swear words so much as the one that causes them.

The only way I can keep my deserts and desserts straight is that you might want to go for seconds if you have dessert!

quote:
They're all cruciform vegetables, List here. Variations on one basic plant, where leaves and stems etc are emphasized in the species. Cruciform means cross-shaped and refers to the flowers. I have never seen a broc flower myself.

Whew, I'm not the only one to write "cruciform" instead of "cruciferous" when referring to these vegetables! I did that once on a post somewhere. No one noticed, but I was embarrassed. Am I wrong to think "cruciform" is incorrect for the vegetable, then?

I mean, obviously I speak about churches more frequently than about vegetables! [Razz]

That's a good question!

Re the other ones, hte etc. "doe snot" No idea if this is a problem for deer.

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
The only way I can keep my deserts and desserts straight is that you might want to go for seconds if you have dessert!

Someone once suggested that desserts are "So Sweet."

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I often want to spell "speech" as "speach" because, you know, it is "speak" not "speek."

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
This weekend an American friend was running round in a panic asking "Have you seen Erin? We need Erin!", and I'm looking at her in a confused fashion and thinking "we don't have an Erin in our church. Is this a new person I don't know?"

OK, I'm American. How do you pronounce them differently?

For some reason the most common misspelling I find in my students' papers is "defiantly" when they mean "definitely". So I'll get things like, "I am defiantly confused about this" or "I am defiantly unsure about faith". I always picture them standing firmly, feet planted, fists upraised as they shout "I DON'T KNOW, DAMN IT!"

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

Erin = Erin
Aaron = air-on

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

Another frequently heard pronunciation of Aaron in the UK is the same as the Scottish island of Arran.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Erin = Erin
Aaron = air-on

Not helpful. "Air-on" is how we would pronounce "Erin".

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:

In my south of England accent, Aaron is "air-on", and Erin is a short E followed by "rin". Erin's vowels are the same as in denim.

If I can get the IPA right, I say Aaron as something like /ˈɛːɹ.ən/ or maybe /ˈɛəɹ.ən/and Erin as /ˈɛ.ɹɪn/. My American friend was saying /ˈɛɹ.ən/.

In my US experience:

Erin = AIR-in or AIR-un

Aaron =AIR-un (or sometimes AIR-in)

IME, they're pronounced *more or less* the same, unless the wearer of the name pronounces it according to another language. (E.g., Irish, Hebrew.)

LC said it perfectly. Erin would be the same vowels as denim.

I agree with the foregoing [or forgoing?] no, the aforesaid comments:

In Aust: Erin is pronounced E as in egg, and rin as in ring but with out the g.

Aaron is pronounced either Air-on or occasionally A as in apple, and Ron as in "Oh Ron" from The Glums -a serial within the old radio series "Take it from Here" with June Whitfield, Jimmy Edwards and Dick Bentley. Alright, so I am old!

The question in my mind is how the young people are ever going to learn spelling when their own names are such a muddle.

I can think of at least 5 versions of Michael, including Miceal, Mykel, Mikel, Michel, Micheal, etc.
And as for the made up names. One day I am sure I will encounter Zaphod, but possibly not Beetlebrox. What happened to the days when priests refused to baptise children with outlandish names? I suppose that these children aren't christened any way.

I really do know one little boy called Tex Huckleberry. Poor thing. And another called Kale like the vegetable.

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

In France the authorities are allowed to refuse to register a name if they think it's likely to cause suffering to the person.

I’m guessing it needs to be something quite bad for them to refuse, because there are still plenty of people called ridiculous things.

quote:
In my US experience:

Erin = AIR-in or AIR-un

Aaron =AIR-un (or sometimes AIR-in)

IME, they're pronounced *more or less* the same, unless the wearer of the name pronounces it according to another language. (E.g., Irish, Hebrew.)

I think that's the root of the problem. Names are taken from a variety of cultures which have different rules for language and pronunciation. Comparing "John" around the British Isles gives quite a variety: John, Sean, Sion and Ian: I'm sure there are others (and I haven't interfered with spelling yet) and that is all before one crosses the channel!

Posted by wild haggis (# 15555) on :

Is it any wonder that we dyslexics have problems with English!

I never got more than 0/10 (usually -6 to -10!) in dictation at school. I was marked down from an A to a B in my Higher (A Level) English because of spelling! I'm not thick, in spite of being labelled as such, because I couldn't spell.

Good spelling is not a mark of intelligence - just of memorisation. Bad spelling didn't stop me ending up with a post-grad masters from one of the top unis in Britain. So spelling isn't everything.

In its historic development, English is a mixture of all sorts of languages. No wonder it is so difficult to spell.

I'm learning Welsh. Once you have grasped the phonics, different from English sound values, the words say as they are written (unlike English). Easy. It's the grammar and mutations that cause problems!!

Teachers of young children will tell you of the difficulties in teaching their pupils to read in English - especially children who have very logical brains. One phoneme will say one sound in one word but a completely different sound in another. As to diphthongs! I won't go there!

There are so many exceptions to the rules in English. You need to have both phonics and "look and say"/"red words"/exceptions that you just have to memorise.
Just think about: there/their/they're
Eek........................
40 years of teaching primary kids has turned my hair bright red!!!

No wonder foreigners find English so difficult.

Some languages, have a totally logical system of phonetics and one sound will have the same value in every word - unless it is a "loan word" from another language. So easy. Not so English.

I'd say that usual UK usage is,

Erin = girl's name that is also a poetic name for 'Ireland', as in 'Isle of Erin'. Pronounced as Gill H, Leorning Cniht and Alieh have described.

Aaron = boy's name, brother of Moses, again pronounced as Gill H, Leorning Cniht and Alieh have described except that for clarity's sake, I'd say that the 'o' is usually a schwa, ǝ.

Arron = boy's name, sometimes spelt Aron, meaning and derivation unclear. It may be a corruption of Aaron or may be a misspelling of either the Scottish island (spelt Arran) or the Irish ones (Aran). Pronounced with a short 'a' and rhymes with Darren. The second syllable I think is universally ǝ, as it is in Darren.

Wild Haggis, you posted while I was writing my post.

I agree with you that English spelling is a mess, and I'm not dyslexic. However, I think there may be a reason, apart from habit, why it may have remained that way.

I get the impression that compared with some other languages, English is quite strongly stressed. In unstressed syllables, the vowel almost disappears. Quite often, that also changes the pronunciation of the consonants round it. This means that quite a lot of words which are entirely regularly formed out of other words by having prefixes or endings put on them, might not look all that similar to the root word if they were spelt phonetically.

After all, Welsh does spell the mutations correctly, but everyone I've ever known who has learnt Welsh has complained that they are really difficult.

Although English speakers think English doesn't inflect all that much, it does go in quite a lot for adding prefixes like 'un', 'non', 'anti' and suffixes like 'ly', 'ify' 'ation', and 'ition'. It also strings them together like 'ification', and 'ingly'.

I suspect that phonetic spelling might make writing easier, but would make reading harder. It would perhaps be easier physically to read the words aloud from the page, but it could make it quite difficult to understand them at the same time, or to read them silently. It might make it very hard to guess what an unfamiliar long word meant.

Among the papers I was grading today was one that was rife with spelling errors-- most of them homophones or near homophones-- to the tune of 7-8 per paragraph. I finally figured out the student must have written it on s tablet with autocorrect. Most hilarious was "chaotic church" for Catholic Church

"chaotic church" ? As opposed to "messy church" ? which I see is on at my local Parish this Sunday at 9.30a.m.It's a family affair.

8 a.m. Eucharist here I come

Thank you Enoch. I agree with you. English does inflect.

Welsh mutations: some are phonetically logical but it's remembering to put them in orally! (Reminds me must go and do my daily Welsh diary to help me learn................!)

Spelling who needs it with texting nowadays anyway!!! So says my dyslexic son.

Bye the bye.
Enoch and anyone else in the area - did you feel the earthquack this afternoon?

Gosh talk about spelling - totally unintentionally (honest) I have written earth quack!!!!!
There you go spelling!

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

Around Elizabethan times, English really was pronounced much closer to the way it is spelled, even though orthography hadn't really settled down at that point. The real problem for our age is the shift in pronunciation.

I guess there is no guarantee it won't go on changing, which raises the interesting point that even if we made it to be spelled phonetically accurate now, this discussion would nprobably have to take place all over again in 450 years time.

HRB, that is a cheeringly optimistic comment from one who lives in a universe which includes the Trump family. [Ultra confused]

I think HRB must be right; that the language is constantly evolving. Our Australian Macquarie Dictionary lists the newest 100 words that now qualify for inclusion year by year, and a similar list of words whose usage has dwindled to nothingness. Most of the new terms appear to be tech related or derive from definitions as one man's stickers youth culture.
Already there are problems; but was ever thus.

quote:
Originally posted by wild haggis:
Bye the bye.

Gosh talk about spelling - totally unintentionally (honest) I have written earth quack!!!!!
There you go spelling!

I missed it as I was outside in the street at the time. People indoors felt it quite pronouncedly. One friend said it was more of a shake than the Lincolnshire one a few years ago was here. My son felt it markedly in Cardiff and was worried that it was a terrorism incident of some sort, but he was in a fairly confined space, and realised people round about outside hadn't noticed anything.

Spelling was already non-phonetic in Shakespeare's time; a modern English speaker would have little difficulty with Elizabethan English. Now Chaucer - we even mispronounce his name because of language change; the first syllable should rhyme with Modern Eng. Cow. On the tangent the mutations are a non-issue to me compared with unpredictable gender, plurals and verb stem vs. the verb-noun (dweud/dywed-, rhedeg/rhed- cael/caf-/caw-) etc. My mind likes predictability and consistency.

[ 18. February 2018, 08:53: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Posted by geroff (# 3882) on :

A bit of a tangent perhaps, but in the early days of spellcheckers I had a secretary, who was terrible at spelling, that used to add her spellings to the dictionary. Another colleague used to have to correct the dictionary every evening after she had gone home! (This is at a date when there was just one computer in our architects office, so probably 1988, Word Perfect?)

quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
A bit of a tangent perhaps, but in the early days of spellcheckers I had a secretary, who was terrible at spelling, that used to add her spellings to the dictionary. Another colleague used to have to correct the dictionary every evening after she had gone home! (This is at a date when there was just one computer in our architects office, so probably 1988, Word Perfect?)

This sounds like the co-worker I mentioned in Post #26 -- only it was a parish office, not an architect. Maybe they're related. (It was in 1985-86.)
[Biased]

If you are dyslexic dictionaries aren't too much help. Spell checkers are much better.

I hate it when people judge you because you can't spell. It usually isn't your fault but to do with how your brain is wired.

I'm always puzzled by people who say they know who English was spoken in Shakespeare's time. They didn't have recordings. How can we tell the audible sounds form the written? We can only guess and we might be very wrong.

Vowels are particularly bad as the same grapheme can be pronounced differently in different parts of the country.

Maybe we have discovered some magical recordings from Shakespeare's time!

quote:
I'm always puzzled by people who say they know [how] English was spoken in Shakespeare's time.

People who know more about these things than I do can pick up hints of pronunciation by studying the plays. The way they're written can often indicate which words rhyme, which syllables are stressed, etc. Even his many puns tell us a lot. Obviously it's not 100% accurate, but the Bard did give us a lot of leads.

Oops! Bad thread for a misspelling!

[ 18. February 2018, 14:35: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

I suppose it's also possible that in Shakespeare's day pronunciation (and spelling) may have been more regional than it is today. Although he worked in London, would he have written his plays and poetry with a West Midlands accent?

I'm trying not to imagine To be or not to be sounding like someone from Crossroads ... [Snigger]

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Bye the bye.

Yes - I was at the computer as the floor seemed to move for about 5 seconds.

I have seen a production of Shakespeare in original pronunciation, Henry V, which was being studied as among the soldiers are English, Scots and Welshmen and the script gives hints as to their accents. The performance was prefaced by a discussion between David and Ben Crystal. (If anyone wants to look it up, the company is Passion in Practice, led by Ben Crystal, son of David Crystal, the linguist.)

which I suppose leads us to the great vowel shift. Always sounded very uncomfortable to me. I am still not quite sure I have the hang of it. I shall consult Google and Wikipedia, those founts of all knowledge, whether accurate or speculative.
I always spell Wikipedia as Wikioaedia , and it corrects me every time.

I Typed WIKIPADIA; this time it emerged without the p, and with an O. I admit that this might have been my typing error.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

quote:
I'm with Eutychus on the -ize/ise divide. Even my spell checker agrees with me. And "focussed" with a double s is logical, whereas "focused" is not.

But then, who said that English is a logical language?

As I have only started reading this thread this morning, this question has probably been responded to already, but I'll just write anyway.
If a two-syllable word such as focus, or pilot, needs a suffix, the rule is if the accent is on the first syllable, do not double the end letter, if it is on the second syllable, double the letter.
e.g. focus - focusing, pilot - piloted, omit - omitted, forget - forgetting,
Exception: Always double l, whether the accent is on first or second syllable.
e.g. level - levelled, control - controlled.

When I was teaching, I found in a cupboard in the staff room a few books, whose titles I now forget, which explained this and various other rules which was a delight to read. There were quite a few teachers who did not know the full rules too!! I parted with them only years after I'd left teaching as I knew they had gone to a good home!

I'm lucky that I've always been a good speller.

quote:
I stumble over describing my brother's daughter. "Niece" but I am likely to write "neice." Yes, I know the old "i" before "e" rule, but some words are weird. Or wierd. Whatever.

This has almost certainly been responded to too, but hope you don't mind my just popping in with :
I before e except after c
when the ie rhymes with me
weird, weir and seize were the exceptions listed in that book also names Sheila, Keith etc.

quote:
Originally posted by M.:
'The rough coated dough faced ploughboy walked coughing and hiccoughing through the streets of Scarborough' is what I learnt.

I'm another who has always been quite good at spelling, and love the eccentricity of it. But I'm also* another who only learnt how to spell 'necessary' when I learnt the Latin!

M.

*which usually comes out as 'alos' when I type.

One of the things I think is brilliant about my software is that Synthetic Dave pronounces all the 'ough' words in your first sentence correctly! It gets a bit muddled with read (reed) and read (red) but that's okay!

quote:
I needed the word practise. I never fail to get that one wrong.

For English spellers there's a nice mnemonic:
practiCe = Noun; practiSe = Verb.
Take the C, N, S, V and they're nicely alphabetical!

Or replace the word temporarily with ‘advice/advise’ which follows the same rules.

quote:
Or replace the word temporarily with ‘advice/advise’ which follows the same rules.

Yes - if I remember correctly there are only a few in that group, device/devise, licence/license

I googled and clicked on a link to a spelling page and I thought I had posted a comment, but it does not seem to have appeared!

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
For English spellers there's a nice mnemonic:
practiCe = Noun; practiSe = Verb.
Take the C, N, S, V and they're nicely alphabetical!

That would work for 'prophecy' and 'prophesy' as well.

© Ship of Fools 2016