Thread: Eccles: Confession Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000691

Posted by ChaliceGirl (# 13656) on :

Does anybody here go to confession in an actual confessional?

I know it is rare to find weekly confession/reconciliation being offered in an Episcopal church. And actual physical confessionals can only be found in you Anglo-Catholic parishes- if even then.

I've been thinking about doing one on one private confession but I'm also a little nervous about it. My priest says there's nothing to fear and he says priests have probably sinned more than I have, haha! [Biased] But I'd rather not confess to my parish priest because I know him too well. I'd rather be anonymous.

[edit title prior to moving to Limbo]
[title abbreviated]

[ 15. July 2010, 15:48: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

Posted by Dubious Thomas (# 10144) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:

I know it is rare to find weekly confession/reconciliation being offered in an Episcopal church. And actual physical confessionals can only be found in you Anglo-Catholic parishes- if even then.

I've been thinking about doing one on one private confession but I'm also a little nervous about it. My priest says there's nothing to fear and he says priests have probably sinned more than I have, haha! [Biased] But I'd rather not confess to my parish priest because I know him too well. I'd rather be anonymous.

For what it's worth .... I make confession to a priest once a year (on Good Friday) ... and depending on my perception of need I may go more often than just this once. The Anglican formula is "all may, some should, none must."

In the Episcopal Church, we've been moving away from the traditional confessional box, as has even the Roman Catholic Church. The box is really an innovation of the late Middle Ages ... and the Orthodox don't use them (I'm pretty sure, but may stand corrected!).

I think it is actually desirable to confess to a priest you know and trust, who can give counsel based on your particular situation. I took a cue from Orthodox practice and found a priest to be my "spiritual parent" (specifically, I have a "spiritual mother"), and my experience making my confession to her, and receiving counsel and a "constructive" penance, has been very helpful spiritually.

You might consider forming a relationship with another priest than your parish priest ... but from what you give here of what your priest said, it sounds like he knows how to be a good confessor.

I recommend, as you think about this sacramental step, that you read Martin Smith's
Reconciliation: Preparing for Confession in the Episcopal Church.

DT

Thank you! [Smile]

Yeah, I've noticed the old style confessionals are fading away from the RCC. I was told part of this was in light of the abuse lawsuits, etc. If you have confession out in the open, the person confessing can't claim that they were touched inappropriately by the priest.

My parish priest is very good, you are right. I've already "informally" confessed some things during "downtime", like during conversation at a church event I'll tell him about something I did and say, "I can be a real b*tch sometimes!" lol!
Sometimes I'll "forget" he's my priest and the "uncensored" version of me will come out and blurt out things- if this makes any sense! But to confess formally is a whole new territory for me and I am thinking deeply about how to go about it.

Posted by Martin L (# 11804) on :

I am by no means an expert in this department, but it would be a good thing to find a priest who is experienced in hearing confessions. (Believe it or not, not every Episcopal priest is very experienced in this department!)

Speaking with an experienced priest would help you to learn how you should prepare for your first official one-on-one confession, beyond the simple make-a-grocery-list-of-sins type of thing.

Posted by chiltern_hundred (# 13659) on :

ChaliceGirl: much as I trust the clergy, I have only once made my confession to my parish priest, and generally (but not often enough!) do the deed in a monastery or when on retreat somewhere. I have in the past had spiritual directors who were serving clergy somewhere other than where I lived or worshipped.

If this is going to be your first time, it would be a good idea to get your PP to talk you through what to do; I'm sure he won't mind if you actually do it somewhere else.

If you can't find a monastery, a cathedral would be bound to have some confession-hearing clergy on the staff.

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

In the past, at least for Anglicans, 'going to confession' has been closely linked with spiritual 'direction'; most people offering the latter ministry have been priests and there is of course an obvious overlap between the two. But many more spiritual 'directors' or 'companions' are now lay people, so if you want sacramental absolution you need to go to a priest separately. But you are less likely to need or want the 'counsel' aspect of the confessional if you discuss things in depth with someone else.

If you have a trusted soul friend/ director who is a priest and who is also willing to incorporate sacramental confession as part of the encounter, then clearly 'confessional boxes' (or even the formalities of kneeling, purple stoles etc) are unnecessary, though the latter might still be helpful.

But it might be that you want to formalise your confession, as opposed to your general spiritual journey, in a different context. Especially if your director is a lay person, or a priest who may be a good spiritual companion but less skilled at the formal business of 'hearing confessions'.

Most priests who regularly hear confessions are well able to distinguish between the everyday pastoral relationship and the formal sacramental transaction, so I personally wouldn't have any hesitation in going to my parish priest. Though if you have a particularly close relationship with him/her that might make a difference.

Posted by Max. (# 5846) on :

About once a fortnight I do. Confession is awesome!
However - I'm not fussy about where I do confession, I have confessed to a priest:

At the breakfast table in a Presbytery with a glass of juice in my hand.
In a Confessional
In a swanky glass "Reconciliation Room"
In a priest's office
In the front pew of the church.
Vestry
Front seat of a car
(Become a Catholic - Get regular confession anywhere!)

I prefer to do confession face to face and actually often ask the priest if he's willing to do that, I don't like the whole anonymous thing as to me it represents society's lack of distrust in the office of priesthood.

Max

Posted by aumbry (# 436) on :

Chalice Girl said:
quote:
Yeah, I've noticed the old style confessionals are fading away from the RCC. I was told part of this was in light of the abuse lawsuits, etc. If you have confession out in the open, the person confessing can't claim that they were touched inappropriately by the priest.
In a standard confessional box surely there is a wooden wall and a grille between the priest and the confessee? It is difficult to imagine how touching could take place of either an appropriate or inappropriate nature.

And surely re Max's point the anonymity of confession is not because people fear the priest will go and blab to everyone in the parish but to reduce the element of embarrassment which confessing to some sins might entail when done face to face. Anyone preferring to confess over breakfast should perhaps recognise an element of the exhibitionist in their nature and confess accordingly to the sin of pride. Personally I would not want to have to sit through listening to someone's misdemeanours over my Full English.

Aumbry

Surely the embarressment factor is pride in the first place?

Posted by New Yorker (# 9898) on :

In my RC experience, the traditional box is alive and well. I can, and do, avail myself of these boxes in numerous parishes here in Manhattan. However, I would think that the box is not being replicated in newer church buildings. Instead, reconciliation rooms are in vogue. In these one can use the grill for anonymous confession or sit in a comfortable chair with a box of tissues near at hand. I prefer to use the grill, however, the kneeling bench can be a penance in itself!

Posted by Josephine (# 3899) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dubious Thomas:
The box is really an innovation of the late Middle Ages ... and the Orthodox don't use them (I'm pretty sure, but may stand corrected!).

You're correct, of course -- we don't have confessional boxes. I wouldn't have any idea what to do or how to go about making my confession in a box. We make our confession, normally, in the front of the church, standing before the icon of our Lord. It is, of course, to Him that we are making our confession, with the priest as our witness and perhaps as our guide.

We would generally regard it as better to go to the same confessor regularly, in much the same way that you would be better off seeing the same physician regularly. Yes, you can go to the ER and see Dr. Whozon Call, but your regular physican knows you, knows what works for you, knows what has been tried before without effect.

Posted by Magic Wand (# 4227) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Max.:

Is embarrassment always an indicator of pride? Or just in the confessional? The former, I submit, is certainly not true. The latter might or might not be, but seems open to debate. In that case, it would appear wise to take a pastoral approach, and always provide for confessing anonymously, as indeed the Code of Canon Law strictly requires.

Posted by Comper's Child (# 10580) on :

quote:

Get yourself to confession, girl! It won't hurt at all, I promise, but find a confessor in another parish if anonymity is your requirement. I have to say it's always refreshing to speak openly about your personal failings with someone who understands fallen human nature, and your priest is right - they've all sinned, believe me. Not every priest, however, has the combo of spiritual advisor and confessor, so you might want to shop around.

You could PM me if you want some personal advice about who or where from a neighbor.

Posted by Spiffy (# 5267) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Max. [spelling fixed]:
Surely the embarrasment factor is pride in the first place?

Max, darling, your youth and innocence is terribly refreshing to an old and scarred soul such as myself.

Freud installed the couch in his psychological 'confessional' so that his patients would not be subject to the looks of horror that would betimes cross his face. In my brief forays into psychological counseling with a Jungian couselor, it wasn't the horrified expressions I was afraid of. That actually helped validate that some of the things that had become commonplace in my life were as horrific as I had thought.

No, what I couldn't take was the pitying looks. And the day I made my shrink cry was the day I quit therapy.

Shame? You betcha. Pride? Maybe. Serious trust issues? Present and accounted for.

One of these days I'll suck it up and get my behind to confession, but I won't be able to look said confessor in the face.

[ 19. May 2008, 15:55: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

Posted by Lumpy da Moose (# 9038) on :

In my experience, I've never been in a confessional, never seen one.

I was required to do a sacramental confession prior to becoming confirmed some 39 years ago. Things have changed since.

I have been to confession once in my adult life and that was probably 23 or 24 years ago. To say that I'm overdue would be understatement.

When I did confessions, they were done at the altar rail, with the priest seated in the chancel, with his or her back to me.

quote:

Before my last confession, I told my mother-confessor that I was embarrassed that I was going to be confessing pretty much the same list of things I had confessed the last time. Her response was to chuckle and tell me that I could also confess spiritual pride for wanting to have new and interesting sins to confess! [Biased]

DT

Posted by Brian M (# 11865) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:
Originally posted by Max. [spelling fixed]:
Surely the embarrasment factor is pride in the first place?

Max, darling, your youth and innocence is terribly refreshing to an old and scarred soul such as myself.
I find it rather trying. I do wish Max would refrain from making such statements without consulting both Canon law and trusted elders in the Church who might offer him some perspective on the pastoral issues that he clearly fails to consider.

Posted by LQ (# 11596) on :

I agree that provision should be made for confession that is not face-to-face, whether this is in a traditional booth, or at a cunningly arranged prie-dieu.

Oh well - don't read them and then you won't be tried!

Problem Solved.

We have a problem in the Catholic Church with not enough people going to confession. We don't know the reasons. Having a priest willing to hear confession at any time in private is a fantastic thing and is something that more priests should advertise. The tried and tested approach however, may work for some but doesn't work for others and it's the others who are the important people to worry about.
(I for one just hate queuing up to a dark box to mutter my sins to a priest who will give me a Hail Mary a penance - I feel more comfortable with going to the priest's house for a chat, followed by absolution with a creative penance)

BTW - I'm totally in favour for confession to be made behind a grill for some people, I just don't think it's something that should be promoted though, people should be taught to be more open about sins to a priest.

Max

x posted with LQ

[ 19. May 2008, 17:11: Message edited by: Max. ]

quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
We would generally regard it as better to go to the same confessor regularly, in much the same way that you would be better off seeing the same physician regularly. Yes, you can go to the ER and see Dr. Whozon Call, but your regular physican knows you, knows what works for you, knows what has been tried before without effect.

Josephine's medical analogy is a good one, I think. As I mentioned, I have settled on one confessor, following the Orthodox model. It really does make a difference when the person knows you and your situation.

Of course, many people "shop" for a physician, finding a "personal care physician" whose style of doing medicine they like based on recommendations. So, following the analogy, you may want to ask around amongst people you know who could recommend a good confessor.... [Biased]

DT

Posted by sacerdos (# 8790) on :

Isn't St Clement's episcopal church in Philadelphia reputed to be "highest church in the world"? From what I've seen on its web site I'd be astonished if you couldn't find "proper" confessionals there, and probably a number of confessors to choose from. Bon courage!

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

quote:

I do. I like it better that way. I haven't really seen confessionals disappear from Catholic churches but I have seen reconciliation rooms installed such as at a neighboring parish (where they still have the old confessionals too, though they use the rooms now). When I use one of those I also use the grill because I like the anonymity, not only is it freeing for me its also comforting in odd sort of way. Even in my own parish I don't think I've ever been recognized behind the grill. Priests hear so many confessions I don't think they remember. Even so, I have confessed face-to-face a few times.

quote:
I wouldn't have any idea what to do or how to go about making my confession in a box
You learn as you go. Before you make your First Holy Communion you're taken to make your first confession. Then you get dragged along with mom every time she goes to confession and she decides you need go too. And she drags you again for Holy Week so you can make your Easter Duty, and join the gazillion others waiting in line. Plus lots of prayerbooks come with sections on Confession and giftshops sell little booklets with titles like "How to a Make Good Confession".

Sacramental Confession is not synonymous with Spiritual Direction though it is nice if you can make confessions to your spiritual director.

quote:
Originally posted by sacerdos:
Isn't St Clement's episcopal church in Philadelphia reputed to be "highest church in the world"? From what I've seen on its web site I'd be astonished if you couldn't find "proper" confessionals there, and probably a number of confessors to choose from. Bon courage!

Confessions are heard at S. Clement's from 10-10:45 every Sunday until June (I am not sure when they are heard during their summer schedule) and they are heard in actual confessionals. I also know of an ECUSA parish in Morrisville, on the northern end of DioPA, which offers Confession and Spiritual Direction every Saturday night at 4.

quote:
In a standard confessional box surely there is a wooden wall and a grille between the priest and the confessee? It is difficult to imagine how touching could take place of either an appropriate or inappropriate nature.
There have been isolated abuse cases of priests luring children over to their side of the wall. [Frown]

I am really considering a trip to St. Clements!

[ 19. May 2008, 18:15: Message edited by: ChaliceGirl ]

OK, how then does Confession work in an Anglo-Catholic church?
I have the 1979 BCP but does the Rite of Reconciliation in the BCP match how an Anglo-Catholic confession proceeds?

CG, my priest confessor is rector at what passes for an Anglo-Catholic parish in the Diocese of New Jersey. He tends to follow the form you cite in the '79 BCP but embellish it with items from Fr. Belton's Manual for Confessors. Others may follow different customs. Your best bet may be to make inquiries with a parish priest before you make an appointment or show up for scheduled confessions, to ensure your optimal comfort with the procedure.

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
quote:

I wouldn't have any idea what to do or how to go about making my confession in a box

You learn as you go. Before you make your First Holy Communion you're taken to make your first confession....
I forgot to add, you can simply explain your situation to the priest, that you've never confessed in a confessional before and don't know what to do. I'm sure he'll be happy to gently guide you through it.

CG, if you do opt for S. Clement's, I would expect (though I can't be certain) that it would follow the traditional ("extraordinary form") Roman Rite rather than the 1979 BCP. Information on this form of the rite can be found here.

[ 19. May 2008, 18:44: Message edited by: LQ ]

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
CG, if you do opt for S. Clement's, I would expect (though I can't be certain) that it would follow the traditional ("extraordinary form") Roman Rite rather than the 1979 BCP. Information on this form of the rite can be found here.

I would very much hope that the folks as St. Clement's, since it is an Episcopal Church congregation, would be using the ritual forms provided in the Episcopal Church's BCP.... [Biased]

CG,
I would encourage you to find a priest who will use one of the two authorized 1979 BCP forms for Reconciliation of a Penitent (beginning on page 447 of the BCP). Both are well-constructed rituals, and reflect the theology of the Episcopal Church. Since this will be your first confession, with proper preparation the second, more elaborate ritual, would be a good option.

DT

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

quote:
quote:
There have been isolated abuse cases of priests luring children over to their side of the wall. [Frown]
In a standard confessional box, the only way to get to the priest's side of the wall is to exit your side and enter his. Anyone in the vicinity would probably notice this!

In the modern Reconciliation Rooms, however, there are just two people in a little room, with a divider of some sort creating a 'grille'.

So the box confessional is safer.

quote:
I would very much hope that the folks as St. Clement's, since it is an Episcopal Church congregation, would be using the ritual forms provided in the Episcopal Church's BCP.... [Biased]

Not to encourage this tangent, but unless you can find a single ECUSA parish that says the BCP rites ad verbum, at all times, this argument loses purchase rather quickly.

[ 19. May 2008, 19:28: Message edited by: Brian M ]

I don't know - I think there's a difference between minor tweaking and celebrating the Tridentine Mass in translation. Nevertheless, I think it's important that enclaves like St C's continue - in fact, I wish there were one in every diocese.

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:

I went to St. C's once for mass and they used the 1928 BCP, that's why I ask.

Posted by Comper's Child (# 10580) on :

As the 1928 book does not include an order for confession, they are likely using one of the classical Anglo-Catholic priests' manuals. However, they do not actually use the '28 book for mass.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian M:
quote:

Not to encourage this tangent, but unless you can find a single ECUSA parish that says the BCP rites ad verbum, at all times, this argument loses purchase rather quickly.
Since Chalice Girl is an Episcopalian asking about Reconciliation, it hardly seems tangential to encourage her to make use of the rich ritual resources provided by our authorized BCP.

On the more general point (and simply adding to what LQ posted), there is a world of difference between making some adjustments, especially if such adjustments have been authorized by General Convention and "published" in Enriching our Worship, or making use of the flexibility provided by the existing rubrics, and the wholesale abandonment of the forms of worship authorized for this church in favor of ritual forms taken from another tradition.

I'm an Anglo-Catholic. That means I practice the Catholic Faith in its Anglican expression ... which is found in our BCP.

DT

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:

They did? On Sundays at least, S. Clement's uses the English Missal, a translation of the Roman Mass as it existed in the 1950s into traditional liturgical English.

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
They did? On Sundays at least, S. Clement's uses the English Missal, a translation of the Roman Mass as it existed in the 1950s into traditional liturgical English.

Lietuvos and so on or Magic Wand can explain this in more detail, but the 1928 Canon is sometimes used at the Low Mass at SCC, and there are other elements of the US 1928 in use as well.

quote:
I'm an Anglo-Catholic. That means I practice the Catholic Faith in its Anglican expression ... which is found in our BCP.

I respect that position, but again, there is the script and there is its production, and we both know that "production values" in ECUSA have been many and varied for about as long as it has existed. No one simply "enacts" the 1979 BCP as is.

[ 19. May 2008, 20:56: Message edited by: Brian M ]

Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras (# 11274) on :

I only ever go to high masses at S. Clement's, either on Sunday or Holy Days, and at high mass it's the English Missal's version of the Roman Rite, normally with two interpolations from the BCP: the general confession and absolution (occasionally omitted, however) and the final blessing. I believe that more BCP material is used at low masses, though again out of the English Missal, so not actually the American 1928 BCP. Talking of that, however, I do note that they usually substitute the American "devoutly kneeling" for the English "meekly kneeling upon your knees" in the invitation to the general confession ("meekly kneeling" occasionally gets said by our British clergy).

Lietuvos, there is an edition of the EM with the American 1928 Canon interpolated. One of your fellow parishioners has a copy, and I think another is actually used at your Low Mass.

Posted by Magic Wand (# 4227) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
I only ever go to high masses at S. Clement's, either on Sunday or Holy Days, and at high mass it's the English Missal's version of the Roman Rite, normally with two interpolations from the BCP: the general confession and absolution (occasionally omitted, however) and the final blessing. I believe that more BCP material is used at low masses, though again out of the English Missal, so not actually the American 1928 BCP. Talking of that, however, I do note that they usually substitute the American "devoutly kneeling" for the English "meekly kneeling upon your knees" in the invitation to the general confession ("meekly kneeling" occasionally gets said by our British clergy).

The only difference between High Mass and Low Mass is that the American Canon (and there was actually an edition of the English Missal that included this) is used at the eight o'clock on Sunday on a fairly regular basis. It is not generally used on weekdays, and the "General Confession" is never used.

As to DT's "world of difference," I suppose that our only real justification is that we're following one of the received traditions in Anglo-Catholicism. That said, pretty much everyone "enriches" in one way or another, and so it is a question of degree more than anything else. I can't see losing any sleep over it, especially with the practice of Anglo-Catholicism being as moribund as it is in so many places.

quote:

As the discussion spun off about St. Clement's not using the 1979 BCP for mass, I probably should just have pointed out the [Biased] at the end of my comment was intended as a "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" softening of that comment. I knew very well, when I wrote it, that they use the Anglican Missal and such stuff there... and I certainly have no intention of reporting them to their bishop, whom I'm sure has no idea they don't use the 1979! [Biased] (note the wink again!)

Anyway, the main point, given the o.p. question, was to emphasize that we have a perfectly good, authorized rite of reconciliation in our 1979 BCP and to encourage ChaliceGirl to look for a setting where she can use that.

DT

Posted by Hart (# 4991) on :

I hugely prefer to make my confession face to face. I find it much easier to concentrate on what someone's saying if I can see their face and, while the counsel part of reconciliation doesn't exactly last all that long, I'm still more engaged if we have eye contact. That said, the faithful have an absolute right enshrined in canon law to make their confession through a grille, and this should be respected.

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
I hugely prefer to make my confession face to face. I find it much easier to concentrate on what someone's saying if I can see their face and, while the counsel part of reconciliation doesn't exactly last all that long, I'm still more engaged if we have eye contact. That said, the faithful have an absolute right enshrined in canon law to make their confession through a grille, and this should be respected.

Just to be clear, since the o.p. was a question from an American Episcopalian (Anglican), that there isn't -- as far as I know -- any such "right" enshrined in Anglican "canon law" ... and certainly Roman Catholic canon law doesn't apply to Anglicans!

DT

That is, of course, true, DT. I'll pray for the poor oppressed Anglicans, whose deacons cannot bless and whose faithful have no right to a grille.

Absent any Anglican equivalent, I think it is altogether appropriate to consider Roman moral theology on the question of confession and Communion, namely, that one has no business receiving the latter if one is aware of having committed a mortal sin and has not availed himself of the former.

quote:
That is, of course, true, DT. I'll pray for the poor oppressed Anglicans, whose deacons cannot bless and whose faithful have no right to a grille.

You'd better including the poor oppressed Orthodox in your prayers for the grille-deprived. Indeed, they especially need your prayers, since their priests don't actually forgive their sins, they merely tell them God has done it. [Big Grin]

DT

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LQ:

Well I could be mistaken, The 1928BCP was in the pews, so I just assumed that's what they always use.

quote:
and I certainly have no intention of reporting them to their bishop, whom I'm sure has no idea they don't use the 1979! (note the wink again!)

The Bishop has much more to worry about right now, but that's a whole 'nother topic! [Biased]

quote:
Absent any Anglican equivalent, I think it is altogether appropriate to consider Roman moral theology on the question of confession and Communion, namely, that one has no business receiving the latter if one is aware of having committed a mortal sin and has not availed himself of the former.

One might "consider" Roman moral theology ... and, I suppose, could adopt this as a personal discipline ... but this is clearly not where the "mainstream" of Anglican belief and practice lies, either now or in the past. Sacramental confession is not necessary for the forgiveness of sins, and it has been long-standing Anglican practice for priests to give a general absolution for all who participate in a general confession, with no need for individual confession and absolution... but, of course, you know all this! [Smile]

DT

quote:
I'll pray for the poor oppressed Anglicans, whose deacons cannot bless and whose faithful have no right to a grille.

[Overused]

I can see why Anglicans would want a grille, or would want to confess to a priest they don't know. Several factors:

1) Anglican priests usually stay around for quite a bit longer than RC priests
2) Anglican priests may have spouses (someone with whom they might potentially share everything, even though one should trust that they don't)
3) Anglican priests may have children with whom you are friends--it might be awkward to confess to the parent of one of your friends
4) It's a safe bet that Anglican priests do not receive the volume of confessions as their RC counterparts, giving them less "in the trenches" experience
5) Roman Catholic priests are easy to think of as "otherworldly" because of their celibacy and a general perception of detachment from worldly concerns

Posted by Triple Tiara (# 9556) on :

I would have thought that to be good Anglicans there would have to be a confessional box in order to comply with the 39 Articles .....

... you know, the "Sacraments were not by Christ's ordinance to be gazed upon" [Biased]

Posted by Hooker's Trick (# 89) on :

Our local tat-shack does confessions in the chapel, with the priest sitting on a chair on one side of the rail and the penitent kneeling on the other side. I believe they provide you with a card as to the form.

The priest sits in profile, so isn't looking directly at the penitent.

I almost always use the kneeler and grill, although from time to time I'll sit in the chair across from and face to face with the priest. At the Cathedral in Atlanta there was one confessional and two reconciliation rooms. Even then, there would often be a fourth priest sitting just inside the altar. I've used that option too. I do think that there is some merit in what I understand the Orthodox method: the penitent faces a crucifix or icon.

Sorry for the double post. What I really hate is when the priest forgets to switch the green light to a red light. (Or the automatic system is not working.) This is often the case at St Patrick's. One can open the confessional door over which there is a green light and find someone kneeling. Hopefully one would block out anything heard.

At both my churches (London and Home) we have "Reconciliation Rooms"

In my London Church it's two converted confessionals made into one room (with a gift shop in the remaining confessional) and you know that it's free because the priest leaves the door open when he's waiting for somebody, or he goes and sits in a pew with his Daily Office.

At my Somerset church there is frosted glass at the bottom of a window and clear glass at the top so you can see who's in there.

At both churches, The Eucharistic Celebration starts late because of queues for Confession.

Max

Posted by cor ad cor loquitur (# 11816) on :

I have confessed in boxes, in a church facing the altar with the priest standing beside me, in reconciliation rooms, in priests' offices and once just over the halfway point on a 10k run with a priest.

In London, I generally go to Westminster Cathedral. I normally don't get there otherwise, and it's a lovely place to spend a bit of time. The queue is usually just long enough for prayer, reflection and examination of conscience; then it's into the confessional, out again, and time for thanksgiving in the blessed sacrament chapel.

Some people seek out confessors who give you a "spiritual scrubbing"; you will find them in good supply at the Brompton Oratory.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
I suppose, could adopt this as a personal discipline ... but this is clearly not where the "mainstream" of Anglican belief and practice lies, either now or in the past.

Well, yes. There are CofE churches with confessional boxes (I think All Saint's Margaret Street has one) but they are few and far between even in Anglo-Catholic churches, and entirely unknown in other flavours. Personal sacramental confession, with or without kiosks, is a very rare and historically recent reintrodcution from Rome.

Even the sort of "spiritual director" thing you were talking about is probably a minority practice, maybe a small minority. Likely only clergy in some tradtions, and a few keen lay people with an interest in mysticism or "spirituality". And (from I have heard) it tends to resemble counselling more than confession.

No doubt many Anglicans have discussed their faults with their priest or another minister as part of normal pastoral care and prayer, but that's not qite the same thing.

[ 21. May 2008, 11:02: Message edited by: ken ]

quote:
Originally posted by cor ad cor loquitur:

In London, I generally go to Westminster Cathedral. I normally don't get there otherwise, and it's a lovely place to spend a bit of time. The queue is usually just long enough for prayer, reflection and examination of conscience; then it's into the confessional, out again, and time for thanksgiving in the blessed sacrament chapel.

To be honest - Westminster Cathedral can be good if you just "want confession", but it's not very personal and you can get some very odd confessors there sometimes.

Dwayne however is a fantastic confessor so if I know he's going to be there, I'll go see him but otherwise I avoid Westminster in favour of a priest who I know.

Max

Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras (# 11274) on :

quote:

To be honest - Westminster Cathedral can be good if you just "want confession", but it's not very personal and you can get some very odd confessors there sometimes.
Max

Without getting too personal about it, Max, can you possibly describe a bit more what you have in mind by "some very odd confessors" at WC?

I, too, am interested in Max's answer about the confessors at the Cathedral.

I'll add, though, that I have come across odd confessors everywhere. Some are terribly rushed: I was once told, "quick, there's a queue, lay it all at the foot of the cross"; some insist that you have not confessed everything and probe relentlessly. Some have particular sins that they ask you about. The penances they assign can vary a lot, as well.

Mostly, though, they are kind and good, pastoral without being sentimental, living icons of Christ in his mercy. Confession is one of the best examples of his saying: my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

Because I am forgiven in confession, I am more than ready to forgive any oddities in my confessor; in any event those quirks pale beside the ones I bring into the confessional.

Going back to Josephine's medical analogy: perhaps there is more of a tendency in Orthodoxy for the priest to function as a "GP" or family doctor.

In the Catholic Church roles can be a bit more specialised: some of us go to a confessor for confession, to a spiritual director to work on your prayer, to someone else for theological instruction, and so on. If, as I do, you spend much of the year other than in your home country, it is helpful to be able to go to confession virtually anywhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:
Our local tat-shack does confessions in the chapel, with the priest sitting on a chair on one side of the rail and the penitent kneeling on the other side. I believe they provide you with a card as to the form.

The priest sits in profile, so isn't looking directly at the penitent.

My confessor does it the same way, with his chair facing the altar and his back to the penitent. Just to the priest's right on the kneeling cushion across the other side of the rail is the 1979 US BCP, turned to page 447 (Form One of the Reconciliation of a Penitent).

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Personal sacramental confession, with or without kiosks, is a very rare and historically recent reintrodcution from Rome.

Ken,
I think that's a bit of an over-statement. I recall reading recently -- though I can't recall where exactly right at the moment -- that one-on-one confession was practiced by members of the "High Church" party prior to the emergence of the Oxford Movement, and in circles influenced by the Caroline Divines ... I also think the name of Lancelot Andrewes came up.

It's also worth noting -- though, of course he wasn't Anglican -- that Martin Luther affirmed the value of regular one-on-one confession.

But, of course, you are quite right that "sacramental confession" as now practiced by some Anglicans is a post-Oxford Movement development.

DT

[ 21. May 2008, 13:33: Message edited by: Dubious Thomas ]

quote:
Some have particular sins that they ask you about.

I thought the manuals said not to do this, lest the faithful get any ideas?

Posted by Stranger in a strange land (# 11922) on :

quote:
Ken,
I think that's a bit of an over-statement. I recall reading recently -- though I can't recall where exactly right at the moment -- that one-on-one confession was practiced by members of the "High Church" party prior to the emergence of the Oxford Movement, and in circles influenced by the Caroline Divines ... I also think the name of Lancelot Andrewes came up.

Confession is certainly recommended by Hooker, Jeremy Taylor, George Herbert among others; as it is,indeed, in the Book of Common Prayer.

quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
quote:

Max

Without getting too personal about it, Max, can you possibly describe a bit more what you have in mind by "some very odd confessors" at WC?
I've been told a few times that the sins I'm confessing don't count as sins and don't need to be confessed.
One priest said "You're a teenager - you're expected to do that"
and I've had to beg for absolution.

I've also had the lay everything down at the cross thing before (which isn't too bad, my regular confessor isn't keen on hearing more than 3 items in a confession and after stops me to "Make a deal*") but I've also had really uninspiring penances and no advice before which kind of doesn't do it for me. Three hail Mary's aren't really that difficult and advice is I think a crucial part of confession, especially when you're struggling with sin.

*Make a deal goes like this

Me: Blah blah blah....
Priest: OK, I get the idea, so here's the deal.. Are you sorry for your sins?
Me: Yes
Priest: That's good, can you try not to sin again
Me: Yes
Priest gives advice and asks if there is any sin that is really important that I wanted to talk about....

Absolution! Woo!

There's an old priest also at Westminster Cathedral who does the wrong sort of penances "Can you say the Holy Rosary in full for every day this week" which I'm sure is very good, but it feels more like punishment more than anything. Penance does not equal Punishment! I believe it's supposed to be able to support us back on our journey to Christ. (Walking on water as my SD puts it)

Max

Max.,

The Anglican provision for absolution without counsel drives me bonkers. While I can appreciate that some people wish to make a general confession,* it seems to me that if you are opening up, you might as well go the whole hog, otherwise it's just a transaction. (I also am a fan of real-life penances). My confessor always asks me for permission to advise me but I think she's figured out that it's just a formality as far as I'm concerned - I would never say "No."

Perhaps this perspective is bolstered by my Anglicanism. In our tradition, auricular confession is not the only means of obtaining absolution, so if one seeks it out, presumably one wants to hear real feedback. Otherwise why not rely on the General Confession?

*In the sense of not specifying sins, not in the opposite sense customary before ordinations, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Stranger in a strange land:
Confession is certainly recommended by Hooker, Jeremy Taylor, George Herbert among others; as it is,indeed, in the Book of Common Prayer.

True, but few members of the Chruch of England do it. Probably none in most parishes.

I don't know - Confession is making it's way back just not in the same way that we know it.

A lot of my Protestant friends (well... except the Anglo catholic ones who do the same sort of confession that I do) have accountability partners, whom they confess their sins to and their accountability partners give them advice and then they pray together for forgiveness.
My God-daughter said that she sees her accountability partner about once a fortnight... certainly sounds very similar.

My Accountability Partner is the entire office of priesthood as instituted by Jesus himself though! [Big Grin]

Max

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
I've been told a few times that the sins I'm confessing don't count as sins and don't need to be confessed.
and I've had to beg for absolution.Max

If that is a reference to the particular 'sin' I suspect, I was told that the church's teaching on it was wrong! (By a young-sounding RC priest - I know I should have gone to an Anglican priest but sometimes there were things I preferred to say in 'the box'.)

Posted by Hooker's Trick (# 89) on :

quote:
Personal sacramental confession, with or without kiosks, is a very rare and historically recent reintrodcution from Rome.

Even the sort of "spiritual director" thing you were talking about is probably a minority practice, maybe a small minority.

This is surely because of the Prayer Book tradition of including in every service a quite comprehensive confession.

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
Perhaps this perspective is bolstered by my Anglicanism. In our tradition, auricular confession is not the only means of obtaining absolution, so if one seeks it out, presumably one wants to hear real feedback. Otherwise why not rely on the General Confession?

I agree. In my experience, at least, some kind of "counsel" has always been given, and I expect it. This is why I think it is best -- at least in the framework of the Anglican approach to confession and absolution -- to confess to a priest who knows you, so that (s)he has a basis upon which to "put the pieces together" in addressing your situation and giving a penance. I know that I would not have got the same kind of constructive feedback I have received at both of my last two Good Friday confessions from a priest who was essentially a stranger.

My one experience confessing to a priest I had never met before (at a cathedral in England, which I won't name) was "okay" -- sacramentally, it "worked," and I was glad to have done it -- but the priest gave rather vague counsel, probably because she had no context into which to place the items on my "list."

LQ also points to an important distinction between the Anglican approach and that of Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy. Our Prayer Book texts make it very clear that the absolution following the general confession is fully sacramentally valid ("...hath given power and commandment to his Ministers, to declare and pronounce to his people, being penitent, the Absolution and Remission of their sins: He pardoneth and absolveth...."). So, in Anglicanism, there is no absolute need for anyone to make specific one-to-one confession to a priest to be granted absolution.

To go to the trouble of making an individual confession one either has to have decided that the general confession + absolution approach really isn't valid (which it appears some Anglo-Catholics have) OR one must feel that it is helpful (in some way or other) to go that extra step ... and receiving counsel is one element of that helpfulness, I think.

DT

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

If that is a reference to the particular 'sin' I suspect, I was told that the church's teaching on it was wrong! (By a young-sounding RC priest - I know I should have gone to an Anglican priest but sometimes there were things I preferred to say in 'the box'.)
Oh I know a priest who would probably say that the Church is Wrong on a number of issues (especially contraception)

It's worrying when priests like that are set loose, especially when they influence the young because the youth are the church of tomorrow.

Max - who would like to emphasise that Charismatic-Catholicism does not mean Unorthodox Christianity

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

quote:
the youth are the church of tomorrow.
Max -

- who would like train to be a youf pastor

Funny. I thought the youth were the Church of today [Confused]

Q.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
quote:
I've been told a few times that the sins I'm confessing don't count as sins and don't need to be confessed. One priest said "You're a teenager - you're expected to do that" and I've had to beg for absolution.

If that is a reference to the particular 'sin' I suspect, I was told that the church's teaching on it was wrong!
If it's a reference to the sin I'm thinking of, a priest once told me that had I been run over by a car on my way to confession that night, I would have gone directly to hell!

The best depiction of confession in the cinema that I've ever seen occurrs in Ken Russel's The Devils, where many of the town women (including nuns) have a crush on the local priest (played by Oliver Reed). The scene goes something like this:

Woman: "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned."

Priest: "But you were just in confession this morning!"

Woman: "Yes, Father, but since then I've committed . . . uh . . . er . . . now what was it?"

Priest: "Well, if you have forgotten, I'm sure that God has also."

Posted by Angus McDangley (# 11091) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh I know a priest who would probably say that the Church is Wrong on a number of issues (especially contraception)

It's worrying when priests like that are set loose, especially when they influence the young because the youth are the church of tomorrow.

I think the Priest's attitude is quite good in a way. I would of thought that any healthy sense of sin would carry some sort of awareness as to why something is a sin - rather than 'because the church says so'. Certainly an over scrupulous or misplaced idea of what is sinful can be extremely damaging.

quote:
I don't know - Confession is making it's way back just not in the same way that we know it.

Is that a bad thing?

quote:
quote:

Is that a bad thing?
Certainly not - although I'm bias as I do think the Office of Priesthood is a much better authority to confess to!

Max

Ok I have another Confession question: when the priest absolves everyone after the general confession during a service, is he/she absolving him/herself self too?

Posted by Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known (# 11399) on :

I dunno about the general confession in RC practice, save that RC priests say "May almighty God have mercy on us, ..." while their Anglican counterparts can be heard saying "... have mercy on you..." et.c. At least we can draw differences.

Posted by aig (# 429) on :

The Book of Common Prayer includes the following pastoral exhortation:
‘... if there be any of you, who by this means [self–examination, confession and repentance] cannot quiet his own conscience herein, but requireth further comfort or counsel, let him come to me, or to some other discreet and learned Minister of God’s Word, and open his grief, that by the ministry of God’s holy Word he may receive the benefit of absolution, together with ghostly counsel and advice, to the quieting of his conscience, and avoiding of all scruple and doubtfulness.’

It is all very Anglican and Common Worship now has some good Rites of Reconciliation. Although it is slightly un-nerving to be handed what appears to be a large menu when you go to confession.
I have never used a box - but I do not think I have ever made eye contact with the Priest during confession, either.

quote:
Ok I have another Confession question: when the priest absolves everyone after the general confession during a service, is he/she absolving him/herself self too?

In the Anglican tradition, quite possibly. But us Catholics don't have a General Absolution in the Mass (except for the "Deliver us from evil" in the Lord's Prayer which is actually a minor exorcism)

Max

Posted by Hanna May (# 13005) on :

I feel sure that I'm about to be told I'm wrong on this. But here goes: I think Catholics do have an absolution at mass - its sometime around the 'Lord have Mercy' bit and the 'I confess'. The priest at my local church makes it abundantly clear in his plain English way that this is a 'sorry for the times when we have turned away from the love of God' and that we are forgiven. As far as I am concerned that is an absolution and I can't remember the last time I went to regular confession. Incidentally, same priest and quite a few others I know, would agree that contraception is not a sin as well as various others that the Catholic Church prescribes. I think that's responsible and thoughtful not dangerous.

HM

Sorry Hannah - but just because your priest says so doesn't mean it's correct. Being an evil convert to the faith, I actually happen to believe that the church teaches truth and I don't think I'm in any position to teach against the church's teaching. Questioning is one thing (and I question the church a lot) but teaching against Church teaching is a very serious thing indeed.

The Confession at mass is a quick "Sorry" for our Sins and the priest simply asks for God to bless and forgive our sins, however it's not an absolution because an absolution calls upon the authority of Christ and his church to bring us to everlasting life.
The absolution is very precise and says "I absolve you of your sins" for a reason, because the priest has the authority to forgive in the Name of Jesus, by the authority of the Church. (John 20:23)

At mass, the priest is not absolving but petitioning God for forgiveness "May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us all and bring us all to everlasting life. Amen"

It doesn't call upon his office to say that, in fact it's a prayer we should all pray every day. A good petition it is but absolution it is not.

Have a read of this article also.

Max

Posted by Liverpool fan (# 11424) on :

Confession is something flexible, like Max says.

I did it once kneeling in a Lady Chapel and it was good. It was my first time and was about a certain issue of ethics. He didn't tell me whether it was good or bad, he simply asked whether the deed made me feel further away from God. I said yes. Now I would say no.

I didn't like the kneeling bit (I had a dodgy knee at the time) so he agreed on doing it sitting down. the Priest was very good. The dividing line between confession and counsel was very blurred though and afterwards we simply met to talk with prayer at the end.

I was lucky to have a good Priest.

Posted by Cardinal Pole Vault (# 4193) on :

quote:
Sorry Hannah - but just because your priest says so doesn't mean it's correct. Being an evil convert to the faith, I actually happen to believe that the church teaches truth and I don't think I'm in any position to teach against the church's teaching.
Max

Um.. it's a tough one that though, isn't it?
I mean, there are some that might condier your particualr views on worship to be beyond the parameters of Catholic tradition (or at least stretching the boundaries). The GIRM is church teaching, too.

Posted by Hanna May (# 13005) on :

quote:
Sorry Hannah - but just because your priest says so doesn't mean it's correct.

I didn't say that a priest saying it makes it correct. I have my own God given powers of critical thinking and reason. It just happens that my priest friend and I agree.

I question the church a lot) but teaching against Church teaching is a very serious thing indeed.

I'm not sure priest concerned would consider a conversation in the pub to be 'teaching'. Its about having a discussion on equal terms and exchanging points of view. He can't surely be expected to not be honest with his friends about his views on subjects Catholic ?

On the issue of church teaching on contraception; the evidence would seem to be that it is not accepted by the 'faithful'. So some theologians would question whether it is actually a valid church doctrine.

As far as confession is concerned. If an individual is of firm belief in good conscience that contraception is or is not a sin then I would expect a priest to respect that - presumably if the belief is 'not a sin' then it wouldn't arise.

But, if someone is clearly struggling - woman with children who really does not / can't cope with more and who is borderline on contraception then I think that a sympathetic priest might enter into a conversation that encourages her to question whether it really is a sin. I would certainly expect a priest when faced with someone who is with a partner who is HIV + to enter into that conversation in a very serious way and confession might be a good opportunity to do that.

H

[UBB]

[ 22. May 2008, 21:22: Message edited by: dj_ordinaire ]

Perhaps you might suggest that your own priest go to confession. With his bishop as confessor.

Just to expand a bit on Max's point: a Catholic priest can give "general sacramental absolution" but only in truly extreme circumstances: a plane about to go down, for example, or a sinking ship, or a mission setting where hundreds of people want to confess but there is only one priest. See this document from the Vatican for more details.

Outside of those circumstances priests are required to give individual confession and absolution. The confessional prayers at Mass, even the one referring to "absolution" in the extraordinary form (Indulgentiam, absolutionem et remissionem peccatorum nostrorum, tribuat nobis omnipotens et misericors Dominus) aren't the same as the solemn statement of sacramental absolution from the priest.

And, Hanna May, welcome!

quote:
Just to expand a bit on Max's point: a Catholic priest can give "general sacramental absolution" but only in truly extreme circumstances: a plane about to go down, for example, or a sinking ship, or a mission setting where hundreds of people want to confess but there is only one priest. ...

A real example of general absolution was during the September 11 attacks. As the firefighters began to ascend the Twin Towers, the RC Chaplin had them pause for a few seconds and gave them all general absolution. Imagining that scene still brings a tear to my eye - and that's a very hard thing to do! The chaplain, Fr. Michael Judge, was killed only a few minutes later.

NY, I have heard tell that a priest of our mutual acquaintance also offered general absolution to the 9/11 responders, as they passed Immaculate Squashracquet on the way down.

quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Pole Vault:
quote:
Sorry Hannah - but just because your priest says so doesn't mean it's correct. Being an evil convert to the faith, I actually happen to believe that the church teaches truth and I don't think I'm in any position to teach against the church's teaching.
Max

Um.. it's a tough one that though, isn't it?
I mean, there are some that might condier your particualr views on worship to be beyond the parameters of Catholic tradition (or at least stretching the boundaries). The GIRM is church teaching, too.

Erm - Some might, the church actually doesn't however. Any liturgies that I organise I think are within the GIRM.

Max

quote:

As a layman, I've always assumed that was the case. I'd be interested in hearing from some Anglican priests on what they believe they're doing when they pronounce the general absolution.

DT

Posted by GoodCatholicLad (# 9231) on :

The time I went to the Latin Novus Ordo mass at St. Margaret Mary in Oakland they had people lined up for confession during the mass. I never heard of such a thing, there's a time for confession but should it be during the mass?

Yes - the church building is a bit like a supermarket offering different services at different parts of the building.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
I can see why Anglicans would want a grille, or would want to confess to a priest they don't know. Several factors:

2) Anglican priests may have spouses (someone with whom they might potentially share everything, even though one should trust that they don't)
3) Anglican priests may have children with whom you are friends--it might be awkward to confess to the parent of one of your friends
4) It's a safe bet that Anglican priests do not receive the volume of confessions as their RC counterparts, giving them less "in the trenches" experience
5) Roman Catholic priests are easy to think of as "otherworldly" because of their celibacy and a general perception of detachment from worldly concerns

Interesting reasons, but none of these reasons are my reasons for wanting to confess anonymously!

I was thinking along the lines of "what if I confess something really embarrasing and personal, i.e. sexual, etc"? I'd be embarrassed to look at my parish priest every Sunday after telling him something of that nature.

quote:
Originally posted by GoodCatholicLad:
The time I went to the Latin Novus Ordo mass at St. Margaret Mary in Oakland they had people lined up for confession during the mass. I never heard of such a thing, there's a time for confession but should it be during the mass?

Not only is it allowed, but the confessee may also receive communion at that same mass IIRC, even if they have a mortal sin to confess and they haven't managed to get to that.

Max

quote:
Just to expand a bit on Max's point: a Catholic priest can give "general sacramental absolution" but only in truly extreme circumstances: a plane about to go down, for example, or a sinking ship, or a mission setting where hundreds of people want to confess but there is only one priest. See this document from the Vatican for more details.

To give another example: the first statue at Gettysberg of a non-General was one of Fr. Corby giving general absolution.

[ 22. May 2008, 23:11: Message edited by: Hart ]

Posted by PD (# 12436) on :

I usually hear confessions sat inside the communion rail facing east, and the penitent kneels just behind me and slightly to my right, so they can speak into the ear that works properly.

I tend to prefer a box, or the "T" shaped screen affairs that they have at ASMS when I make my confession. I would like to put a box in our new church, but I haven't found the right spot yet.

PD

quote:
quote:

Interesting reasons, but none of these reasons are my reasons for wanting to confess anonymously!

I was thinking along the lines of "what if I confess something really embarrasing and personal, i.e. sexual, etc"? I'd be embarrassed to look at my parish priest every Sunday after telling him something of that nature.

Your reason certainly goes along with the above ones, though. It would be tough to look a priest in the face who has been around long enough to know (and befriend) your parents and grandparents, to have mutual acquaintances/friendships, and to be fully integrated into the community.

Roman Catholic priests are typically by no means quiet, anti-social people, but they are usually on the "fringe" of the community--always invited to events, always friendly, but detached from the community by an invisible wall of sorts.

Posted by GreyFace (# 4682) on :

quote:
The Confession at mass is a quick "Sorry" for our Sins and the priest simply asks for God to bless and forgive our sins, however it's not an absolution because an absolution calls upon the authority of Christ and his church to bring us to everlasting life.

This is a tricky one though.

The scriptural backing (I know, I know) for the idea of absolution is "If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven." - John 23:23 (NIV). It seems to me then that a priest praying for God to forgive sins can only not be an absolution if the priest is saying 1) "Lord, forgive them because I sure as hell don't" or 2) "Lord, I'm asking you to forgive them but I know you won't unless they get absolved properly."

Now if 1) is happening, the prayer is meaningless because "if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven" so the priest is asking something contradictory. If 2) is happening, then the prayer is not only meaningless but dishonest.

So I conclude that the Catholic recommendation towards private/personal confession is actually based on this being of profound spiritual benefit and of it being necessary to receive the forgiveness (where possible) in a more concrete way to give it greater effect in this life, which is what you would expect of something identified by the Church as one of the seven Sacraments.

I can think of 7 different ways of framing an act of absolution; people more skilled than I in linguistic philosophy would be able to label these as indicative, deprecative and so on.

1) "God absolves you from your sins"

2) "God absolves us from our sins"

3) "May God absolve you from your sins"

4) "May God absolve us from our sins"

5) "I absolve you from your sins"

6) "God has absolved you from your sins"

7) "God has absolved us from our sins"

RC priests use (5), and I think Russian Orthodox do as well, though some say that this is a "Latin influence". Do other Orthodox use (1)? I have seen a Coptic confession ritual that uses (4).

I have also read that some Orthodox do use a "general" (group) confession in addition to individual confession. Can any Orthodox shipmates confirm this?

Posted by Cyprian (# 5638) on :

quote:
5) "I absolve you from your sins"

RC priests use (5), and I think Russian Orthodox do as well, though some say that this is a "Latin influence". Do other Orthodox use (1)?

You're right. I have seen service books give a "Russian form" and a "Greek form" of confession, although the differences extend to beyond just the words of absolution, including the structure and other prayers used. I suspect that any churches that follow the Slavic rather than the Greek Use of the Byzantine Rite will also use that form.

The absolution to which I am accustomed is this:

quote:
May our Lord and God, Jesus Christ, through the grace and bounties of his love for mankind, forgive thee, my child, N. all thy trangressions. And I, an unworthy priest, by the power given to me by him, do forgive + and absolve thee of all thy trangressions: in the Name of the + Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen,
I, too, have heard that this is a western influence and, while it may be true that it is a non-Orthodox influence on the text, it certainly isn't in theology. The priest having authority from Christ to forgive sin is right there in Scripture. Besides, any suggestion (and people do accuse the Slavic formula of expressing this idea) that the priest is acting instead of Christ is shown by the invitation to confession to be unfounded:

quote:
Behold, my child, Christ standeth here invisibly and receiveth thy confession. Wherefore, neither be thou ashamed nor afraid, and hide thou nothing from me. Rather, fear not to tell me all that thou hast done, so that thou mayest receive forgiveness from our Lord Jesus Christ. Behold, his Image is set before us, and I am but a witness, bearing testimony before Him of all that thou tellest me. But if thou hide anything from me, thou shalt have the greater sin. Take heed, therefore, lest, having come come to the Physician, thou depart unhealed.
quote:
I have also read that some Orthodox do use a "general" (group) confession in addition to individual confession. Can any Orthodox shipmates confirm this?
To my knowledge, group confession has never been ruled out of Orthodox practice. I believe that the practice of the early Church was for all to confess openly, before the assembled Faithful. (Can anybody confirm this?) Certainly, there have been modern examples of this, as in the case of the spiritual children of Blessed Seraphim of Platina, where individuals would confess their sins in the presence of all. What I think hasn't been accepted as a substitute for this is the practice of saying a corporate prayer acknowledging our general sinfulness. Such general confession and absolution does feature in some of our Western rites, such as immediately before Communion in the Mass of St Gregory, but my understanding is that it is always in addition to, rather than instead of, regular, frank confession before a priest.

quote:

Before I say anything at all, I want to make it absolutely clear that I am not sitting in judgement of you, Martin L. It is simply that what you have said has reminded me of an exchange that I read a few days ago earlier on this thread and to which I had intended to respond but could not as I simply didn't have the time to at work.

I can relate directly to what you have said here, largely because I, too, felt the same way. I went through years of denying that the gneral confession for me was a cop out and simply didn't cut it, yet I couldn't bring myself to confess to a priest who knew me. When I finally mustered up the courage to ask a priest-acquainance of mine if he would hear my confession, he told me that he could not as he hadn't been ordained yet for more that five years, (let's not even go into that). Anyway, at first that threw me but I later used it as an excuse to myself for not making confession.

You see, in my case, it was pride, and nothing else. Yes, on the social level, I was embarrassed, but of what significance ought that to have been where confession was concerned? I was respected and had a certain reputation, and I set that over and above honesty and my own salvation simply to save face. I think that people were a bit hard on Max earlier when he said this:

quote:
I would only question his use of surely for I cannot know anybody else's heart with any certainty. Otherwise, I don't see anything wrong with what he said, and rather suspect that the reaction of some was because it struck a nerve.

On the night before my Baptism, I made a passing reference in my confession to what I had wanted to confess for so long, and I was baptised the following day. Yet it was over 18 months later, once I had grown accustomed to properly examining myself and facing my sins, and having some accountability before my spiritual father, did I eventually confess this. In the end, I was reminded that I had received absolution for this at my Baptism, but it wasn't half a weight lifted.

Pride is something of which we're all guilty. I still get embarrassed before each confession because yes, I know that what I have done time and time again is out of accordance with how I strive to live my life and the profession that I make before the world. Yet facing that takes humility that doesn't come easily for me. I am envious of people who are immediately aware of their wrongdoing, make their peace with those they have wronged, and readily confess. I need examination and preparation, and sometimes a forthright confessor who will not let me get away with veiled references to sins, such as I got rather unsuspectingly once last year.

Having grown like that, I would feel very much as though I had regressed if I were to revert to a short, corporate, acknowledgement of sinfulness. I need to challenge myself to grow, to pray, to fast, and to strive in my journey of deification by God's grace. It is too easy to become complacent, and pride is a catalyst for this.

Posted by §Andrew (# 9313) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Cyprian:
I, too, have heard that this is a western influence and, while it may be true that it is a non-Orthodox influence on the text, it certainly isn't in theology. The priest having authority from Christ to forgive sin is right there in Scripture.

No it isn't [Biased]

Is this the bit where you tell us that this is another portion of Scripture where the English translations inaccurately reflect the original Greek? [Razz]

Seriously, though, I have heard objections to this form but I genuinely don't see how they hold up.

The portions of the Slavic rite that I quoted above don't seem to me to be a departure in any way from an Orthodox understanding of this, as the priest is confessing his own unworthiness and stating that what he does is only by the authority of Christ.

Is there something obvious that I'm just failing to see?

That was my short answer.

My long answer is this.

When the priest experiences the presence of the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit informs him that He forgives the person that confesses his sins to Christ our God. And because the priest gets informed, he can assure the person confessing that his sins are forgiven.

According to Saint Symeon the New Theologian, one of the rare few* Saints to speak on confession, that's what the Lord meant when He granted that authority to His disciples. He didn't grant the authority to everyone, because the mysteries of the Church do not work in a magical way. It's about our personal relationship with God, and when we don't even experience God's presence, then things get tough.

In fact, Saint Symeon goes even further, saying that God seeing how wicked priests became, he took that gift from them, and he gave it to monks.

Anyway, for my part, I prefer the Byzantine way, where the priests, like in all Mysteries, pray to God that He forgives the man that confesses his sins. Everything is offered to God, and it is in His will to do whatever He wants. Like it is with all the mysteries.

The priest, points the person that confesses to God's mercy and love, and, if he is a real priest and not an impostor who has no love for God at all, and no interest in divine things, he assures the person of God's very real mercy and love for him/her.

A quick google search gave this:

quote:
O God our Savior, Who by Thy prophet Nathan granted unto repented David pardon of his transgressions, and have accepted the Manasses' prayer of penitence! Do Thou, in Thy love towards mankind, accept also Thy servant [name] who repents of his sins which he has committed, overlooking all that he has done, pardoning his offenses and passing by his iniquities. For Thou hast said, O Lord: I have desired not the death of a sinner, but rather that he should turn from the wickedness which he has committed, and live. And that even unto seventy times seven sins ought to be forgiven. For Thy majesty is incomparable, and Thy mercy is limitless, and if Thou shouldst regard iniquity, who should stand? For Thou art the God of the penitent, and unto Thee we ascribe glory, to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.
Of course, it is done through the priest, just like the eucharist is done through the priest, but that's different from saying that the priest has been given authority from Christ to forgive sin!

And because I don't want to make a lecture while the other Shipmates here are in a confessional mode (yeah, pun intended), I'd like to share a very unorthodox confession I had (what, you thought only Max would have all the fun?)

I went to see a priest (who is also a monk) for confession, and I went into his church. He found me and he asked me to follow him to his office. He offered me a seat. I remember he began by saying that what you have in your mind about confession might not be what I have in mind about the mystery. And we discussed. Well, he mainly did most of the talking, and I didn't want him to stop speaking, because I was in heaven.

When I left his office, I felt trouble free, and that experience was lasting! It was amazing.

Definitely not what's in the rubrics, but also, definitely eye opening and issue resolving experience. Glory be to God for all things!

* In fact, I have read in a book that confession is the mystery which the Church has done the less theology on, compared to the other mysteries...

Posted by Cardinal Pole Vault (# 4193) on :

quote:
Originally posted by §Andrew:

My long answer is this.

When the priest experiences the presence of the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit informs him that He forgives the person that confesses his sins to Christ our God. And because the priest gets informed, he can assure the person confessing that his sins are forgiven.

How does the Holy Spirit do all this 'informing'?

I don't know about people like Saint Symeon, for whom the presence of the Holy Spirit was conscious and unceasing, but I can relate to that expression "get information" (it's actually a very common expression in Orthodox stories from the elders of the Saints) as an ordinary (and not as an extra-ordinary man like Symeon!) man, when we pray to God about someone, and we experience God's warming presence in our hearts and we know that what we ask of God He will grant... but sometimes we pray and we pray and nothing happens, you know, and you know that something's wrong or that you haven't prayed with a clean heart enough for your petition to be accepted? Well, from that, I can relate to the expression, but I don't know what the elders or the Saints or the holy people in general experience.

Posted by CuppaT (# 10523) on :

On corporate confession:
Naturally, we all say the pre-Communion prayers, hopefully privately at home, and the one of St. John Chrysostom during the Divine Litugy: I believe, O Lord, and I confess that thou art truly the Christ....

But I think you perhaps mean something more by corporate confession? There is no other out loud, all together prayer that is prayed as a confession of sins by Orthodox that I know of, but there have been exceptions made over the years by certain saints. In a life of my dear Father John of Kronstadt that I read years ago I read about such a thing. He was well known for being a good confessor, clairvoyant and all. It came to be that too many people would crowd to him before the Liturgy to have their confessions heard, so he told them to bow their heads and say their confessions aloud, all together, then and there, from where they were standing, every single sin aloud with no shame and none left out, and he would absolve. Now, not everyone can get away with this. Those who did not make a full confession and hid things in their hearts he refused at the Altar when they came forward to receive, and talked to lovingly later, I'm sure. There is no shirking or pretense from the eyes of a man who can read hearts. His Liturgies were attended by thousands, and this happened frequently.

CuppaT

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cyprian:
I, too, have heard that this is a western influence and, while it may be true that it is a non-Orthodox influence on the text, it certainly isn't in theology. The priest having authority from Christ to forgive sin is right there in Scripture.

No it isn't [Biased]
I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed that the follow-up to "No it isn't (right there in Scripture)" was a lengthy post focused mostly on the teachings of Saint Symeon the New Theologian (A.D. 949 - 1022), and which didn't once reference Scripture.

I'm still waiting for an explanation how Jesus' statements in Matthew 16:19 and John 20:22-23 don't amount to "the priest having authority from Christ to forgive sin," as Cyprian put it.

This, of course, assumes that priests have received the authority given by Christ to the Apostles ... but it seems me that the folks involved in this part of the thread (Roman Catholics, Orthodox, and Anglo-Catholics) are working with that assumption.

For the record, while the 1662 C of E BCP has formulations where the priest always simply pronounces God's absolution (unless I have missed an "I absolve" somewhere!), which appears to me more in line with the Greek Orthodox approach, the American Episcopal Church 1979 BCP provides for the priest to say "I absolve you" (see, e.g., pages 448 and 451).

I don't have any problem with this change -- which puts our approach in line with that of Roman Catholicism -- because it seems to me to be in accord with Scripture.

DT

Ah, it was a reference to the Saint making exegesis for the passage. References to other scriptural passages are not always going to explain what a passage means. And since Cyprian has another way of understanding Scriptures than others here do, the exegesis I shared mattered (i.e. I didn't have to point to another passage to "shed light" on that one. That might be a venerable Protestant practice, but that's about it).

Anyway, the whole point is that Christ's sayings have an ontological content. This, compared to the fact that Christ's authority has to do with being, and He does not give His authority to us, simply because we do not possess the capability of saving others, explains why the priests do not have any authority to act in the place of Christ, why this doesn't work out. But this thread isn't about the theology of confession, so let's not get carried away...

quote:
...when we pray to God about someone, and we experience God's warming presence in our hearts and we know that what we ask of God He will grant... but sometimes we pray and we pray and nothing happens, you know, and you know that something's wrong or that you haven't prayed with a clean heart enough for your petition to be accepted?

You would make a good Pentecostalist, Andreas. Or at least a Methodist. That sounds like straight from the horse's mouth from a dozen or two charismatic evangelical sermons I must have heard.

Of course a conservative evangelical or a Calvinist would want to point out that our feelings don't count for much. We are standing on the promises of God and we can know that God will accomplish what he has said he will accomplish, whether or not "we experience God's warming presence" or even if the person praying hasn't prayed with a clean enough heart. Because its not our prayers (or the prayers of the priest) that save us, its God's grace. And its not our feelings that tell us we are saved, its God's word.

[ 23. May 2008, 17:45: Message edited by: ken ]

quote:
For the record, while the 1662 C of E BCP has formulations where the priest always simply pronounces God's absolution (unless I have missed an "I absolve" somewhere!), which appears to me more in line with the Greek Orthodox approach, the American Episcopal Church 1979 BCP provides for the priest to say "I absolve you" (see, e.g., pages 448 and 451).

In 1962, the form for private confession is found in the Ministry to the Sick, and the form "I absolve thee" is indeed used. Is this another 1662/1962 difference?

Interesting about 1979. In Canada, the BAS did away with the Prayer Book's use of the direct form, noting in the explanatory notes that it is a late development, and changes it to "...God...through my ministry absolve you..."

ken

First, who said anything about feelings? Feelings is something we experience, yes, but it's not the only thing that we experience.

And second, unless we have a relationship with God, what's the point? If we can't know God through experiencing HIm, then we are left with a man-made religion, where all we do is speak about God, and do good to others for God or because of God, and study books and have thoughts and feelings about God, but never get to actually know that God exists...

I mean, what's the point of having people telling you that you are saved, but you yourself do not experience any real* salvation?

*that sounds like the "real presence". As if we can have a presence that isn't real. But I want to draw some emphasis on salvation being a true "upgrade" of being, rather than something we speak and hear about but we don't actually live!

ETA: Cross-posted with LQ

[ 23. May 2008, 18:14: Message edited by: §Andrew ]

quote:
First, who said anything about feelings?

You did, just now!

quote:

And second, unless we have a relationship with God, what's the point?

Well, yes, exactly.

quote:

... a man-made religion ... but never get to actually know that God exists...

who said anything about that?

quote:

I mean, what's the point of having people telling you that you are saved, but you yourself do not experience any real salvation?

Well yes - but it was you talkng about what the priest tells you in confession

Posted by Liverpool fan (# 11424) on :

Well put Ken.

God is much more than our feelings, Andy boy. You should know that by now. There's deffo something in 1 John somewhere about 'even if our hearts condemn us one should know that God's love is stronger than our hearts'.

quote:
Well yes - but it was you talkng about what the priest tells you in confession

???

The priest talking is not the end of it! After every confession I had, I was a new man... The result is life, not words, nor sentiments.

And that's what I have to say to ChaliceGirl, from my experience within the Orthodox Church... With one clause of caution: Not all confessors are good: You have to be extra-careful about the man you open your heart to, because you might get hurt or get reckless advice. Choose your spiritual father with discernment and you will find that fulfilling and helpful in your relationship with God and others, and healing to the heart.

The confessor only absolves you if the Holy Spirit 'tells' them to absolve you?

Sounds too much like Ouija boards to me. It also allows for that ever-present human error issue which could lead a confessor who desires power over salvation to abuse. No, thank you, I'm not signing up for that. Either absolve all who make the long walk up to confess or don't offer yourself up as Christ's stand-in.

[ 23. May 2008, 18:44: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
In 1962, the form for private confession is found in the Ministry to the Sick, and the form "I absolve thee" is indeed used. Is this another 1662/1962 difference?

No, it's the same thing in the 1662.... You found the "I absolve thee" I had missed. The full priestly statement given there in 17th century English is what appears in the American 1979 "Reconciliation of a Penitent" rendered in modern English, as one of the options for absolution. The other statement the priest can use has "Our Lord Jesus Christ ... absolve you through my ministry...."

To use an expression Ken did in another context, the American 1979 offers a typically "Anglican fudge," allowing for both a direct "I absolve" and an indirect "Christ absolves," apparently at the discretion of the priest.

quote:
Interesting about 1979. In Canada, the BAS did away with the Prayer Book's use of the direct form, noting in the explanatory notes that it is a late development, and changes it to "...God...through my ministry absolve you..."
The BAS seems to be drawing on the same stream as the 1979 American BCP for this usage, though it drops the "Anglican fudge" ... I've always been suspicious of the BAS! [Big Grin]

I'm sure all kinds of discussion has gone on about which I am completely unfamiliar.

In any case, "is a later development," has become a common way of marking something to be eliminated from Anglican practice in favor of "reversion" to something supposedly earlier... as if what developed later is automatically problematic. [Roll Eyes] Mind you, I'm the one who grumbled about confessional boxes being a "late-Medieval innovation"! [Hot and Hormonal] ... So, it works this way ... late innovations are bad, unless I like them; then they're good. [Big Grin]

DT

Posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop (# 10745) on :

As a late comer to this thread, a lot of ground has already been covered. I am mindful of the Anglican maxim of making a private confession - all may; some should; none must. This same advice would seem to apply under its modern name of Sacrament of Reconciliation.

I am now in the habit of making my confession only when I go to Walsingham, so I have a different confessor each time. For me, once a year is quite often enough; for I have my besetting sins which I commit over and over again, whereas certain other sins have no place in my nature. Consequently, my "sin list" is more or less identical each time I go, which is why personally, I would have a problem with frequent confessions.

Do what you feel is right for you about whether you confess to a priest who is a stranger, or whether it is a priest you know well. One is obviously living a sincere and a devout life, or one wouldn't be going to confession in the first place. In that way, as far as I can see, if a penitent is genuine, then the sins being confessed are not likely to be embarrassing.

I forgot to say that I am used to both confessional boxes and face to face. To me, it doesn't matter.

quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
I am mindful of the Anglican maxim of making a private confession - all may; some should; none must. This same advice would seem to apply under its modern name of Sacrament of Reconciliation.

I have to say that as Max's dreaded Triden-teen I know it is one of those terms I am not supposed to like (like "celebrating" instead of "offering" Mass), but I think that "Reconciliation" is preferable, since it encompasses all the usual alternatives: "confession," "penance," and "absolution."

quote:
The confessor only absolves you if the Holy Spirit 'tells' them to absolve you?

Sounds too much like Ouija boards to me. It also allows for that ever-present human error issue which could lead a confessor who desires power over salvation to abuse. No, thank you, I'm not signing up for that. Either absolve all who make the long walk up to confess or don't offer yourself up as Christ's stand-in.

Interestingly, in +Michael Ingham's companion to the BAS, he is critical of his subject (in my count) a total of two times. One is for not explicitly providing an order for Compline (one was later published as a supplementary separate volume). The other is for removing the reference to the retention of sins in the ordination of the priests. In what strikes me as a rather un-Inghamlike statement (indeed, on this point, I'm more "liberal" than him, and agree with you, Spiffy) he notes that, while somewhat puzzling, this authority is found in the Gospels and should not be dispensed with without explanation.

quote:
For me, once a year is quite often enough; for I have my besetting sins which I commit over and over again, whereas certain other sins have no place in my nature. Consequently, my "sin list" is more or less identical each time I go, which is why personally, I would have a problem with frequent confessions.

And that is a good thing, to go to confession sincerely repenting and desiring to turn from sin and do it no more. Each time. Going once a year is more than some people in my own Orthodox parish seem to do. But there is a beauty to frequent confession that you may be missing. If you determine to go, say, once a month (I had it easy -- I was told to do so), and confess, "I did it again; I'm sorry", it is very hard and embarrassing to have to keep going to the same person and saying the same things. Honestly, you get sick of hearing yourself. You either cry out in desparation to the Lord to take the Thing away from you, or you ask the priest how to over come it, or whatever. Somehow, you more really are desparate to not sin again in that besetting way, even though you were truly sorry all those earlier times. Now you honestly want to be done with it and start to live differently. Infrequent confession won't usually get you on that path with an ingrown sin. Frequent confession just might.

By experience,
CuppaT

Thanks CuppaT for what I am sure is good advice. This is very likely where I am missing out and it would take a spiritual director to guide me and I don't have one at the moment. Some years ago, I was advised by a priest hearing my confession to go either fortnightly or monthly - I forget which. Unless one is in the right place such as living in or near Walsingham, it is difficult to find an Anglican cleric who would have room for hearing frequent confessions.

Posted by Nunc Dimittis (# 848) on :

quote:
quote:

As a layman, I've always assumed that was the case. I'd be interested in hearing from some Anglican priests on what they believe they're doing when they pronounce the general absolution.

DT

I was always taught that part of the reason the priest washes his/her hands at the lavabo before the Prayer of Consecration, is precisely because one cannot absolve oneself; they are the only person in the service whose sins have not been absolved by the General Confession and Absolution. The whole point of confession and absolution is that relationship is restored - which means it needs a relational context.

My first training rector always signs herself during the confession itself as a reminder that she too needs God's forgiveness and pardon.

As a mere deacon of course I can't absolve; but there is provision in several of our Prayer Book services for the minister taking the service to give an assurance of pardon (eg, If we repent of our sins, God is faithful and just, and will forgive us our sins, etc).

Posted by Bookworm (# 11575) on :

quote:

One of the blessings of being Episcopalian/Anglican is that you can go to a male or female confessor. If you're a woman, some things are (a little!) easier to confess in the presence of a woman, etc., whether you know the confessor personally or not.

And I actually think there can be something very powerful and grace-filled about receiving the eucharist from the hands of a priest who has also been your confessor.

quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
I was always taught that part of the reason the priest washes his/her hands at the lavabo before the Prayer of Consecration, is precisely because one cannot absolve oneself; they are the only person in the service whose sins have not been absolved by the General Confession and Absolution.

Yeah - it's a nice idea but it's not actually very accurate, priests are still supposed to go to confession just like anybody else. It's a bit of a problem now as there are a lot of priests who have to travel miles to make a confession, a lot of priests I'm sure celebrate the Eucharist after committing some kind of sin or grave disorder and they haven't been to confession. It's a rather worrying situation.

The lavabo actually has an interesting history, being celebrated BEFORE the offertory and symbolised purity. People could only approach the altar and take part in the Eucharistic meal whilst being pure and in the Ethiopian Rite (I mentioned that the Ethiopian Church have been untouched by modern Christianity on the Crosses and Crucifixes in Churches thread) they still do this, they also don't dry their hands but the priest flicks the water onto the congregation to remind them of this.

The Catholic Church moved the Lavabo to its present position in the Middle ages and the emphasis now is a lot more boring. It's simply washing hands before handling the gifts so that no dirt will fall upon the host when it's consecrated.

Not quite as exciting is it?

Max

Posted by Random Cathoholic (# 13129) on :

quote:
The lavabo actually has an interesting history, being celebrated BEFORE the offertory and symbolised purity. People could only approach the altar and take part in the Eucharistic meal whilst being pure and in the Ethiopian Rite (I mentioned that the Ethiopian Church have been untouched by modern Christianity on the Crosses and Crucifixes in Churches thread) they still do this, they also don't dry their hands but the priest flicks the water onto the congregation to remind them of this.

This stirs a memory in my hind-brain. I remember reading, a long time ago, that there are still some very old churches around Europe which have absolutely enormous holy water stoups (there's on in a church near me). The reason for this, it went on, is the mediaeval tradition - particularly in rural areas - of blessing oneself enthusiastically with holy water: it wasn't just making the sign of the Cross with the fingers, rather it was a ritual washing of the hands and sometimes the head.

Any experts in mediaeval piety care to comment? Did I actually read this, or was I imagining it?

quote:
People could only approach the altar and take part in the Eucharistic meal whilst being pure and in the Ethiopian Rite (I mentioned that the Ethiopian Church have been untouched by modern Christianity on the Crosses and Crucifixes in Churches thread) they still do this, they also don't dry their hands but the priest flicks the water onto the congregation to remind them of this.

That happens in the Liturgy of St James as well (Antiochene rite), and in the Byzantine Rite when the bishop serves.

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Random Cathoholic:
I remember reading, a long time ago, that there are still some very old churches around Europe which have absolutely enormous holy water stoups (there's on in a church near me). The reason for this, it went on, is the mediaeval tradition - particularly in rural areas - of blessing oneself enthusiastically with holy water: it wasn't just making the sign of the Cross with the fingers, rather it was a ritual washing of the hands and sometimes the head.

[tangent] A much more splendid and meaningful use of holy water than the mimsy anglo-catholic custom of the server, on the way out of the sacristy, dipping fingers in the holy water and offering a moist digit to the following priest. [Disappointed] [/tangent]

Since my own parish has no holy water, I tend to be quite un-Anglicanly generous when in places that do have it. [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
quote:

This stirs a memory in my hind-brain. I remember reading, a long time ago, that there are still some very old churches around Europe which have absolutely enormous holy water stoups (there's on in a church near me). The reason for this, it went on, is the mediaeval tradition - particularly in rural areas - of blessing oneself enthusiastically with holy water: it wasn't just making the sign of the Cross with the fingers, rather it was a ritual washing of the hands and sometimes the head.

Any experts in mediaeval piety care to comment? Did I actually read this, or was I imagining it?

That's quite interesting because I've noticed that in more Charismatic circles, people tend to do a lot with Holy Water, possibly taking a little sip of the water (ew), washing their foreheads etc.
I quite often will very irreverently pour some on my head if I'm feeling hot and back home in Somerset, I have had a few water fights with kids in the church with holy water from our bucket (we don't have a stoup, we used to have one but it fell off the wall too many times that now it doesn't really hold water for longer than a couple of minutes)

I would've thought that the medieval mind would've thought of Holy Water as a gift. Water cleanses, it sustains and refreshes just as the Sacrament of the Eucharist does. As we enter the church we remind ourselves of the sacramental qualities of water, the waters of baptism and we remind ourselves that we were washed clean of our sins at baptism. So by pouring holy water upon ourselves and by doing a ritual washing, we would be calling to mind all these themes!

I guess that's why you get this in the charismatic circles also (although my irreverent playing with Water with kids is simply being Joyful in the Lord!)

Max

I love Holy Water too and wish my church had it.

Stoups aren't all that expensive, are they?

[ 05. June 2008, 01:54: Message edited by: ChaliceGirl ]

Posted by Pommie Mick (# 12794) on :

You could simply have a bowl with holy water placed at the entrance of the church - an easy and cheap option.

quote:
Originally posted by Bookworm:
quote:

One of the blessings of being Episcopalian/Anglican is that you can go to a male or female confessor. If you're a woman, some things are (a little!) easier to confess in the presence of a woman, etc., whether you know the confessor personally or not.

And I actually think there can be something very powerful and grace-filled about receiving the eucharist from the hands of a priest who has also been your confessor.

I don't know if it is true in other traditions, but in the Orthodox Church the priests forget whatever they have heard in the confession after it is said. To some degree it is a gift. But on the other hand, really, there is nothing new under the sun. There just aren't that many sins! And they are rather boring. We may be rightly embarrassed by having committed them before God and the priest, and it is completely right to come and get rid of them, but they are nothing that the priest has not heard before lots of times, probably that he has not done himself. He is a man after all and understands being made of dust.

On the contrary, it is not embarrassing to look a priest in the eye after confession, maybe not the first second afterwards when your eyes are full of tears, but the next day when you are going up for Communion, his eyes will be full of love, (if he's really thinking of you at all, you know, because, really, the whole world does not center about you; I speak more about me than anyone else).

CuppaT

quote:
Originally posted by CuppaT:
I don't know if it is true in other traditions, but in the Orthodox Church the priests forget whatever they have heard in the confession after it is said.

If he is a good priest, yeah. That's how things are supposed to be in the Orthodox Church. But if he is not... [Devil]

Good thing that in your countries mostly people that really love Christ become Orthodox priests, so the ratio good:bad priests is rather high! Than God!

I have an update on this.

Well, I went ahead and did it!

I'd rather not say where, except that it was not in my hometown, and it was in a church that had a confessional that had a kneeler with a screen, plus a chair in front of the priest so that you could have both options of being anonymous or face-to-face.
Before I went, I kind have rehearsed what I was going to say. This should help, right?

Well, no.
I got in the confessional, kneeled at the screen. The priest said the opening lines (can't remember them right now).

I blanked out! I totally froze. [Eek!]
I said I was sorry, and I was a bit anxious. The priest asked me if I'd like to sit in front of him and relax. So I came out from behind the screen and sat in front of him. Hetold me that it was ok and to relax, which was nice.
He asked me some basic questions like my age, marital status, etc. I confessed some things that I won't repeat here (that's confidential!) and he was very calming when he spoke to me. He gave me counsel, absolved me, and told me to go in peace. he also shook my hand.

Afterwards, I was kind of shocked that I went through with it. I felt a mix of emotions, most of them good. I'm glad I did it and will do it again! I kneeled before the altar before leaving the church. I stayed there for a good 5 minutes or so. I felt at peace and was very moved.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

ChaliceGirl, thanks for telling us about that experience. And it's great that it was so positive and you obviously had a pastorally hearted priest who knew what to do with your nervousness.

I think the inability to speak when it comes to your actual confession (as opposed to the bits helpfully written down) is not uncommon. I have been in that situation at least once. I think its like getting into cold water - you just have to go for it, say something (anything!) and the rest will come - sort of, anyway...

Posted by ten thousand difficulties (# 9506) on :

I've had a lot of experiences, some really helpful, some pretty awful. I made a confession, face to face with my parish priest before I became a Catholic. I looked at my shoes and he started talking to me about the Easter present I'd just given him half way through. When I moved away we had no regular time; it wasn't used enough. You just had to 'grab a priest.' So I had confession in the crypt, behind the altar and in the corridor. I can recommend where in central Manchester is good...

In London, Brompton Oratory is notorious. I love the place but confesssion... I'd think twice. First of all ancient confesionals so you have to try really hard to not not hear the person in front of you. Secondly, a serious dressing down. One reduced me to tears. When I mntioned this to someone she said, 'but everyone knows not to go to Brompton! What were you thinking?' I go Westminster when I can. Anonymous and they're pretty good. I don't like it either when they just give you absolution not advice.

I hate confessing to someone I know so W.C. is great. My parish priest and I are very close so confessing to him is really hard. We have to look each other in the eye over dinner afterwards, although he does know all my boyfriend troubles since time imemrorial.

I must admit I was quite upset by having to discuss a very serious personal situation in an open church last week at my new parish priest. I'm on the reader's rota with the lady who was sitting at the back of the church and I didn't want her hearing what she could have heard. We could at least appeal for some privacy.

Bring back the confessional or at least the seperate room!

I went to confession again, this time in a church without a confessional, in an Anglo Catholic church about 45 minutes from home. The priest sat inside the altar rails and I kneeled in front of him. We followed the Reconciliation of a Pentinent form in the BCP.

Confession was scheduled for a half an hour but it looked like I was the only one who showed up for confession!

Anyway...it was a good experience. I was very happy with the priest, he was very kind. I think I may make him my regular Confessor.

Tenthousand, There's no way you should be forced to disclose personal stuff in the open. Why not ask your priest if you can speak to him privately?

So soon ChaliceGirl!? You must have told the priest when your last confession was, and what did he say to you when you said, "A fortnight ago"?

As I indicated, personally I have a problem with frequent confessions.

I think frequent confession is a good thing and I would say that it's preferable to go to confession at least twice a month.

Max.

Posted by glockenspiel (# 13645) on :

But would not that kind of frequency be an indication that the sacrament wasn't actually working? I note that the only time that this issue resulted in a doctrinal statement, the church obliged us to go once a year. Can't remember which council that was - can any shipmates fill us in on that, and the background to it??

No. The primary purpose of the Sacrament of Reconcilation is to absolve us from our sins, bringing us back into a fuller personal relationship with God.

The Sacrament doesn't promise to stop us from sinning. That's our own responsibility.
I think it's nearly impossible to stop sinning completly as a result of our flawed nature but at the end of reconciliation we put forward a promise to God that we intend to stay clear of occasions of sin.
But because of our human nature, we open to temptation and we fall short of what is expected of us and we sin and so we go back to confession.

It could be likened to a child learning to walk, one small mistake and *thud* the child is on his knees crying his little eyes out with a tiny little graze. That child has two choices, sit and mope about the graze, refusing to get up again should he fall again or he could get up, dust himself off and keep walking. Each time he gets up, his legs get stronger and more used to walking, he learns that putting feet under rugs is only going to result in him tripping so he steps OVER the rugs, he learns that stairs are dangerous and need to be climbed with care.

Confession is like getting up, each time we go to confession we become stronger, we learn to avoid occasions of the sin, we dust ourselves off and we keep on walking. As we walk, we learn to avoid sins that make us fall, only occasionally falling. We come across new obstacles which make us fall and again all we can do is get up and dust ourselves off in the confessional.

Max.

Each person has different needs. Even at different points of our lives we have different needs. Confession shouldn't be restrained by some imaginary time limits, but should be available when someone feels there is a reason to go to confession (and even when one doesn't feel there is a reason; sometimes we are too blind to our own sin and the discernment of a spiritual father might help).

quote:
So soon ChaliceGirl!? You must have told the priest when your last confession was, and what did he say to you when you said, "A fortnight ago"?

I would hope he said nothing at all about the length of time! As ChaliceGirl is an Anglican, I don't believe she is subject to any rules as to the frequency of her confession. RCs are subject only to a minimum frequency; there is no maximum.

Why should she have to wait longer than she feels she wants to for such a life-giving rite?

quote:

The Sacrament doesn't promise to stop us from sinning. That's our own responsibility.

Max.

I beg to differ, at least in regard to the sin we have specifically stated to the priest. It's our responsibility to discern what needs, above all, to stop, in order for us to move on in our life and faith. When we've put it into words, and into God's hands, job done.

quote:

And that "problem" is...?? [Confused]

Remember, I am fairly new to the church- not just to Anglicanism but to Christianity! Confession is a new thing for me. It's something that is helping me grow as a person, so pardon me if I "practice" a little more than your average Anglican. Cut me some slack!

PS- I might go back and confess again by month's end! [Big Grin]

quote:
Confession is a new thing for me. It's something that is helping me grow as a person

And that's what is important.

I make an examination of conscience daily (well, almost, I'm not perfect [Biased] ) and make my confession as and when I feel it necessary. That averages out to once a month, I suppose, but I don't keep count.

Posted by Mother Julian (# 11978) on :

Chalice Girl, it's been great reading this thread over the weeks. Thanks for starting it, and updating us on your journey. Frequency of confession is something I'm working on, having only started in the last year. Currently, I'm confessing three or four times a year, and it hurts my pride in having to confess the same sins time after time. Although painful, this is probably a good thing for me - the embarrassment helps me avoid occasions of sin, and I need all the help I can get! My parish priest commented recently that the general confession in the mass does not include priestly absolution (we follow the Novus Ordo), which has started me thinking that I need to make my confession more frequently.

quote:
Originally posted by glockenspiel:
quote:

Max.

I beg to differ, at least in regard to the sin we have specifically stated to the priest. It's our responsibility to discern what needs, above all, to stop, in order for us to move on in our life and faith. When we've put it into words, and into God's hands, job done.
Mmm, but in reality we do sin after confession, that's a fact. So obviously if you use that explanation then God is not doing his job properly and sin therefore disappears from this earth because God is making sure that nobody sins!

That's just not the case, we are granted forgiveness in the confessional and in exchange we promise to avoid the occasions of sin and to go out and with God's help, live a Christ-like life.
Because of our flawed nature, things don't always go to plan. Not God's fault, it's our fault so we have to come back to God and ask for forgiveness again.

Max.

Posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd) (# 12163) on :

I'm rather glad Confession is available for those who wish it in the Anglican Communion.

For myself I find the General Confession and Absolution given by the priest during the Eucharist enough, but I can understand people, particularly with serious things on their mind, wishing to obtain a more personal absolution and some sort of spiritual direction.

Therein lies a problem. I tend to agree with Greek Orthodox practice where not every priest is allowed to automatically be a Confessor. This is a very serious and responsible position and requires someone of the highest personal integrity as he/she will be giving someone important life advice. Not every bright eyed bushy tailed ex-seminarian, all of 23 or roundabouts, IMO has proved themselves enough to be granted that privilege.

They don't have Confession in the Uniting Church, but, if they did, I think Rowen would be an excellent Confessor.

Ditto madteawoman when she is priested.

I think one important thing which needs to be borne in mind is that, if necessary, one needs to make restitution to be forgiven (money, reputation, turning oneself into the police in certain circumstances) and also needs to 'sin no more'. If one doesn't have the intention of giving up a habitual vice, however difficult and however often one backslides...?

Confession is not 'Spiritual Supawash': it requires considerable personal involvement.

In these days of 'instant religion' I wonder if it's 'just too much' for many?

Haha - when I was in Australia I explained Confession to Rowen using Evangelical words. Nunc was in fits of laughter when I said "Accountability Partners" [Razz]

It's true though, My Accountability Partner is the ENTIRE office of priesthood! Catholicism ROCKS!

Max.

I like the General Confession too, but, I like the intimacy of the one on one confession. Being able to admit out loud my specific wrongdoings is very healing.

quote:
Haha - when I was in Australia I explained Confession to Rowen using Evangelical words. Nunc was in fits of laughter when I said "Accountability Partners" [Razz]

It's true though, My Accountability Partner is the ENTIRE office of priesthood! Catholicism ROCKS!

Max.

"Accountability Partner"? That's one I never heard. Sounds so......politically correct!

quote:
quote:
quote:

Max.

Mmm, but in reality we do sin after confession, that's a fact. So obviously if you use that explanation then God is not doing his job properly and sin therefore disappears from this earth because God is making sure that nobody sins!

That's just not the case ...

Max.

But that's why I think frequent confession is problematic. If I have, say, wound down my car window and shouted a torrent of abuse at another driver for a very minor incident, then I take it to confession, then I do exactly the same thing again on my way back home, then it makes a mockery of the whole thing.

Nunc, being schooled at CCSL and St Mary the Virgin, Waverley, is possibily not the best person to empathise with Evangelical explanations. [Smile]

I stand by what I said about Rowen and madteawoman in having the necessary ability to be good Confessors.

On my boyhood experience of Catholic confession in the 60s - similar to those in Joyce's 'Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man' and the wonderful Fred Schepisi film 'The Devil's Playground' - I would have to say 'Yuk!'

Posted by PD (# 12436) on :

I regard the teaching given in the Long Exhortation in the 1662 BCP Communion Office as the most sensible and balanced. To my mind confession is medicine not food, though for some people it is more like going to the chiropractor - something they have to do reguarly in order to stay fit.

PD

quote:
But that's why I think frequent confession is problematic. If I have, say, wound down my car window and shouted a torrent of abuse at another driver for a very minor incident, then I take it to confession, then I do exactly the same thing again on my way back home, then it makes a mockery of the whole thing.

But the idea is that you're supposed to try to make a fresh start, so you try not to do that!
If you do, it's not a mockery - it's you being sinful again and not trying hard enough.

Max.

Posted by Stranger in a strange land (# 11922) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):
Therein lies a problem. I tend to agree with Greek Orthodox practice where not every priest is allowed to automatically be a Confessor. This is a very serious and responsible position and requires someone of the highest personal integrity as he/she will be giving someone important life advice. Not every bright eyed bushy tailed ex-seminarian, all of 23 or roundabouts, IMO has proved themselves enough to be granted that privilege.

Well in the CofE, newly ordained priests don't normally hear confessions. I think it is 3 years in orders before you do that. Not that 3 years necessarily guarantees any greater worthiness though..

[Confused] No, my old Anglican Priest heard confessions the day after his ordination to the priesthood!

Max.

quote:
I tend to agree with Greek Orthodox practice where not every priest is allowed to automatically be a Confessor. This is a very serious and responsible position and requires someone of the highest personal integrity as he/she will be giving someone important life advice.

I am somewhat in agreement (Q: is this only a Greek custom, or is it found throughout Orthodoxy?). I've been blessed in my confessors. In 20 years of making regular confessions, I've always had the benefit of spiritual, compassionate and thoughtful priests.

Even when I've been on holiday or working away from home and have had the need to make confession, the worst I've experienced have been priests who seem to be paid according to their rate of absolutions per hour. I've certainly never experienced any of the horror stories that I've read about on the Ship, or heard about from others, but I'm sure such confessors exist. I don't know how I would respond in such a situation. Not positively, I suspect.

Believe me, I am not going to use confession as a "free pass" to go behave badly. That's not my intent at all.

quote:
quote:

And that "problem" is...?? [Confused]

Remember, I am fairly new to the church- not just to Anglicanism but to Christianity! Confession is a new thing for me. It's something that is helping me grow as a person, so pardon me if I "practice" a little more than your average Anglican. Cut me some slack!

PS- I might go back and confess again by month's end! [Big Grin]

This thread has grown so long, that if you referred back to what I said in my previous post, then you missed it. Here again is what I said:-

quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:I am now in the habit of making my confession only when I go to Walsingham, so I have a different confessor each time. For me, once a year is quite often enough; for I have my besetting sins which I commit over and over again, whereas certain other sins have no place in my nature. Consequently, my "sin list" is more or less identical each time I go, which is why personally, I would have a problem with frequent confessions.

I have confessed infrequently in this way for over 40 years. OK you are a new Anglican and it will take time to see what routine at making your confession is best for you. You don't say whether the priest said anything significant to you when you would have told him, "It is a fortnight since my last confession". In my experience, they insist on knowing how long ago. If he (or she)made no comment, I am surprised!

quote:
Believe me, I am not going to use confession as a "free pass" to go behave badly. That's not my intent at all.

This may have crossed with my new post, but I don't think that for one moment.

He didn't ask how long it was since my last confession, so I didn't say anything about it. I think he may of thought it was my first time since 1. I was visibly nervous and 2. He never saw me before. He did ask me if I had a priest and parish. I said I did but I'd rather confess to someone who did not know me as well. He understood.

Quoth Sir Pellinore:
quote:
Nunc, being schooled at CCSL and St Mary the Virgin, Waverley, is possibily not the best person to empathise with Evangelical explanations.
Once upon a time, maybe. Spending time with evangelicals in this diocese and this parish, and across denominations has perhaps altered this somewhat. I would hope that I could at least attempt empathy, even if I cannot in conscience agree with certain aspects of evangelical theology. One cannot be a priest in this diocese, (or even a priest, period?) without having to let go of prejudice.

I nevertheless really appreciate the warm sentiment behind what you said.

quote:

I stand by what I said about Rowen and madteawoman in having the necessary ability to be good Confessors.

I would agree with that, for both women.

quote:
quote:
I tend to agree with Greek Orthodox practice where not every priest is allowed to automatically be a Confessor. This is a very serious and responsible position and requires someone of the highest personal integrity as he/she will be giving someone important life advice.

I am somewhat in agreement (Q: is this only a Greek custom, or is it found throughout Orthodoxy?)...
As far as I know, in Greece itself, most clergy are what you would call "worker priests" i.e. they are ordained with minimal (if any) theological training and continue to work as a shoemaker, farmer, fisherman etc.

By and large they are not treated with overwhelming respect until they prove themselves.

Greek dioceses are fairly small and the bishop nominates certain knowledgable and well-respected clergy as Confessors.

I believe, apart from higher educational levels, it is similar with Greek clergy here.

Nunc, tis best you speak for yourself. [Hot and Hormonal]

I know you but slightly and most of our related posts have been on the Sydney situation which is bizarre and polarised.

Posted by Panda (# 2951) on :

quote:
[Confused] No, my old Anglican Priest heard confessions the day after his ordination to the priesthood!

Max.

I think the 3 years' experience is a recommendation, not a rule; I have also heard 5 years. I think the idea is that any priest, even one ordained yesterday, can absolve an individual penitent, but for the most part it might be wise to grow into the position (and great responsibility) a bit first.

Especially where the priest in question is on the young side - I have known one or two fresh out of theological college who would have been genuinly shocked at what they heard, even with the benefit of a year's diaconate.

Posted by Vaticanchic (# 13869) on :

(But not the college I went to.)

quote:
He didn't ask how long it was since my last confession, so I didn't say anything about it. I think he may of thought it was my first time since 1. I was visibly nervous and 2. He never saw me before. He did ask me if I had a priest and parish. I said I did but I'd rather confess to someone who did not know me as well. He understood.

It may be a pond difference - I don't know - but here in the UK, the invariable wording of the confession prayer includes ...that since my last confession which was ...... ago, I have committed these sins.... If the frequency of making your confession is wrong, then it will be picked up from there; that is my point.

My impression is that frequent confession is encouraged by Roman Catholics and very advanced anglo-catholics and I may be wrong, but I suspect the average Anglican cleric won’t have room for penitents who make frequent confessions – a priest’s time is not unlimited and there are other duties to fulfil. I find that in Anglican churches of a more moderate churchmanship, advertised times of regular confession all the year round are in the minority. One can always arrange a confession time by appointment.

That is why I doubt that you will have ample opportunity to make frequent confession on a permanent basis.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

I always had the impression, mainly gained through the movies, that if you went to confession you did so once a week or you couldn't receive communion. Which shows the depth and scale of my ignorance I suppose.

quote:
I suspect the average Anglican cleric won’t have room for penitents who make frequent confessions – a priest’s time is not unlimited and there are other duties to fulfil.

I very much hope you're wrong; we'll wait for an "average Anglican cleric" to come along and let us know. It hardly takes very long to hear a confession; I would suspect that any cleric who doesn't have time to hear confessions needs to rethink their priorities.

quote:
quote:
I suspect the average Anglican cleric won’t have room for penitents who make frequent confessions – a priest’s time is not unlimited and there are other duties to fulfil.

I very much hope you're wrong; we'll wait for an "average Anglican cleric" to come along and let us know. It hardly takes very long to hear a confession; I would suspect that any cleric who doesn't have time to hear confessions needs to rethink their priorities.
If they use the Confession thingy as set out in the BCP I'd say it would take the best part of 20 minutes! Their confession is a lot longer than ours!

Max.

I imagine, given the fact that, certainly in Australia, the average Anglican cleric has far fewer parishioners (round about 120-160 I'd say per head) than the Roman (1200+) I would imagine there'd be plenty of time. [Ultra confused]

Using the Roman wording and method (kneeling) sparks to me of a dated Betjemanesque Anglo-Catholicism.

quote:
quote:

It may be a pond difference - I don't know - but here in the UK, the invariable wording of the confession prayer includes ...that since my last confession which was ...... ago, I have committed these sins.... If the frequency of making your confession is wrong, then it will be picked up from there; that is my point.

My impression is that frequent confession is encouraged by Roman Catholics and very advanced anglo-catholics and I may be wrong, but I suspect the average Anglican cleric won’t have room for penitents who make frequent confessions – a priest’s time is not unlimited and there are other duties to fulfil. I find that in Anglican churches of a more moderate churchmanship, advertised times of regular confession all the year round are in the minority. One can always arrange a confession time by appointment.

That is why I doubt that you will have ample opportunity to make frequent confession on a permanent basis.

We (the priest and I) used Form I on pg 447 of the BCP. It says nothing about saying how long it's been since your last confession.
This particular church has weekly confession scheduled every Saturday from 9:30 to 10:00am, and then Low Mass begins at 10:00am.

BCP: great!

I think the Post Vatican Two name 'Reconciliation' is a more penitent empowering concept and title. [Big Grin]

OK ChaliceGirl, I take your point about taking it from the BCP. Oddly - in my view - in the BCP, it is intended for the ministry of the sick, but there is no reason why it should be confined to those who are sick.

I have never come across the sacrament of private confession taken from the BCP here. Believe me, it is normal practice to tell the priest when one's last confession was. If you are able to stick to the set time at the church you mention, then that may be the best arrangement for you. Amongst other things, a regular confessor would be able to regulate the frequency of hearing your confession.

BTW the modern name of the sacrament of reconciliation is a name that I favour.

Posted by Sister Mary Precious (# 8755) on :

I have made my confession for a number of years now. I go at least once a year and sometimes more often. I have never even seen an actual confessional in an Episcopal church on either the east or west coast U.S.A.

As mentioned above, there are real confessionals at S. Clement's Philadelphia.

Posted by Oblatus (# 6278) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sister Mary Precious:
I have made my confession for a number of years now. I go at least once a year and sometimes more often. I have never even seen an actual confessional in an Episcopal church on either the east or west coast U.S.A.

We've got two. One can be seen in this PDF: the two doors to the right of St. Anne. The other is to the left of the main-aisle doors. Two half-hour confession periods are scheduled weekly. Still, even in our parish, the number of confessions registered in the service-book averages fewer than one confession per week. About 35 last year, IIRC.

That said, I'm years overdue for mine and need to get over the fear of doing it wrong and just do it. I've even taken a Lenten series of classes in just how and why to do it, and still I haven't.

quote:
OK ChaliceGirl, I take your point about taking it from the BCP. Oddly - in my view - in the BCP, it is intended for the ministry of the sick, but there is no reason why it should be confined to those who are sick.

I have never come across the sacrament of private confession taken from the BCP here. Believe me, it is normal practice to tell the priest when one's last confession was. If you are able to stick to the set time at the church you mention, then that may be the best arrangement for you. Amongst other things, a regular confessor would be able to regulate the frequency of hearing your confession.

I suspect that since ChaliceGirl is an American, "BCP" here means 1979, which has a separate rite for "the Reconciliation of a Penitent" distinct from the Ministry to the Sick, as does the Canadian Book of Alternative Services.

Frankly, I find the first order overly structured and long (having grown up RC, I'm not accustomed to sitting and reciting psalms with my confessor for several minutes) and prefer the "short form."

I'm puzzled by Max's estimate of "twenty minutes." The 1662 BCP rite for confession consists of the penitent's catalogue of sins, the absolution, and a collect.

I have been told that the only parish of the Anglican Church of Canada with real confessionals is St James, Vancouver. Can our Shipmates there confirm?

[ 17. July 2008, 16:27: Message edited by: LQ ]

Posted by TheMightyMartyr (# 11162) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
quote:

I suspect that since ChaliceGirl is an American, "BCP" here means 1979, which has a separate rite for "the Reconciliation of a Penitent" distinct from the Ministry to the Sick, as does the Canadian Book of Alternative Services.

Frankly, I find the first order overly structured and long (having grown up RC, I'm not accustomed to sitting and reciting psalms with my confessor for several minutes) and prefer the "short form."

I'm puzzled by Max's estimate of "twenty minutes." The 1662 BCP rite for confession consists of the penitent's catalogue of sins, the absolution, and a collect.

I have been told that the only parish of the Anglican Church of Canada with real confessionals is St James, Vancouver. Can our Shipmates there confirm?

I can confirm that it does, and are used somewhat often, as it was the new rector's focus when he came into the parish. Confessions are also taken in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel in a face to face setting.

quote:

That is correct.

quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
Still, even in our parish, the number of confessions registered in the service-book averages fewer than one confession per week.

Each penitent registers his name in the service-book when he goes to Confession?

I assume that Oblatus is referring to the priest recording the number of confessions heard each week in the parish register, along with in-house visits, liturgical events like Masses, offices, Baptisms, funerals, etc. ECUSA prints a big red book for this purpose.

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:

I was talking about the 1979 BOE

Max.

The 1979 "long form" is indeed ridonculous.

quote:
I assume that Oblatus is referring to the priest recording the number of confessions heard each week in the parish register, along with in-house visits, liturgical events like Masses, offices, Baptisms, funerals, etc. ECUSA prints a big red book for this purpose.

Correct. No name recorded; just the fact that 2 confessions were heard on Sunday, or whatever. To know who it was, one would need to have seen the person entering or leaving the confessional, but then that's always possible. The content of the confession is confidential, not the identity of those who make their confession. But I'm sure priests generally don't share unnecessarily the names of those who have made their confessions.

Our 2007 annual report lists these numbers of confessions for the last three years:

The Form of the Proper Confession (for anybody who doesn't know)

Priest: In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Penitent: Bless me Father for I have sinned, it's been __ days since my last confession. I've examined my conscience and these are my sins:
Penitent lists sins, very quickly without too much detail
for these sins and any others that I have forgotten, forgive me Father and grant me absolution and penance.

Priest comments on sins and gives advice, usually beginning with "My, my, my... you've been a busy boy then haven't you?"

Priest then asks for an act of contrition

eg. "Lord God, I have sinned against you and I have offended you. Help me to live like Jesus and not to sin again. Amen."

Priest says: God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Penitent: Thanks Father!

What Max said - although slightly less rushed....

Thanks Max for posting that.

And here is the version I was talking about:

http://vidicon.dandello.net/bocp/bocp4.htm

I think it's interesting that it ends with the priest saying:

Go (or abide) in peace, and pray for me, a sinner.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LQ:
ridonculous.

This is my new word for the day, LQ! It may not be a real word, but it jolly well ought to be! [Big Grin]

While Max's format for RC confession may be a suggested version, I doubt it is used word for word like that. Confession is the most "informal" sacrament I would think. And sometimes, if there's a long line, the priest skips the full absolution formula and just says "I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

Since I was last logged on yesterday, I have sorted out the confusion surrounding BCP and I have been looking into this. I find I possess a copy of the American BCP 1979 which I brought back with me from my trip to US nearly two years ago. Thus, I was able to look up the American rite of reconciliation and form one in that book is virtually identical to the rite familiar over here. As ChaliceGirl has provided the words from that book in the mean time, I need not comment further.

quote:
quote:
quote:

If they use the Confession thingy as set out in the BCP I'd say it would take the best part of 20 minutes! Their confession is a lot longer than ours!

Max.

I did not suggest that Anglican clergy don't have time to hear confessions; I suggested their time is not unlimited and there is a difference. Max, depending which side of the pond you are, I am unsure whether you are referring to BCP 1662 or BCP 1979. I am unsure how you arrive at the 20 minutes you mention.

As I said above - 1979 BOE

Max.

Posted by chive (# 208) on :

I'm preparing to make my first confession so this thread has been very useful thankyou [Big Grin]

Next week I hope to go on retreat for a couple of days to examine my conscience and prepare. Has anyone got any suggestions about ways of doing this so that I can do it properly (including the bits I probably don't want to and would normally rush over in an attempt to pretend they're not a problem)? Are there any ways of structuring this?

Posted by Vaticanchic (# 13869) on :

Take your most important objects/memories with you. Try to make a silent retreat. Not too long. Ban yourself from leaving the property. Just suggestions. God bless you at this time.

As far as examining the conscious, I spend quiet time alone and any wrongs I've done, thought and said recently just pop up, and it is helpful to write them down.
Good luck with your first confession, remember it is nothing to be afraid of.

quote:
Originally posted by chive:
I'm preparing to make my first confession so this thread has been very useful thankyou [Big Grin]

Next week I hope to go on retreat for a couple of days to examine my conscience and prepare. Has anyone got any suggestions about ways of doing this so that I can do it properly (including the bits I probably don't want to and would normally rush over in an attempt to pretend they're not a problem)? Are there any ways of structuring this?

When I made my first confession, I was told to go away and examine three areas in which I might have committed sin: against God, against others, against myself.

You could look at the traditional 7 deadly sins, or the fruits of the Spirit, or get your hands on any manual which might give you a structure - I am sure a websearch might bring up some results.

As an afterthought, I thought I might add how my first confession went 45 years ago.

I have already highlighted the "normal practice" of stating when one's last confession was, and until this thread arose, I have never known any differently. I got to the church at the advertised time on Holy Saturday, having prepared my written list of sins beforehand. It was face to face and kneeling. I started to read the printed words of the prayer, and at Since my last confession I intentionally left that bit out. The priest interrupted me brusquely and demanded, "When was your last confession?" "This is my first confession." I looked up and he was looking hard at me, then he added, "All right". So it proceeded from there and he gave me friendly advice including to burn the bit of paper.

So I have used the sacrament of reconciliation most years ever since.

'It was face to face and kneeling.' Ecclesiastical Flip-flop

How did that work? I have knelt next to the priest - never facing them when kneeling. I have sat opposite 'face to face' however.

When I make my confession in the side chapel of the church (as opposed to in the rector's office) she sits on the celebrant's chair, in profile to me, and I kneel at the altar rail.

In my case the priest sits in a chair by the rail and I kneel in front of him, with the rail in between us. And this takes place in a side chapel. Sounds like the same sceanario as LQ.

quote:
Originally posted by aig:
'It was face to face and kneeling.' Ecclesiastical Flip-flop

How did that work? I have knelt next to the priest - never facing them when kneeling. I have sat opposite 'face to face' however.

It was openly face-to-face as opposed to anonymously through a grille; that is what I meant. Perhaps my words were ill-chosen. On the occasion in question, it was in a side chapel; the priest-confessor was seated and I knelt at a prie-Dieu. The arrangement was similar to what LQ and ChaliceGirl mention in response to my post.

I'm curious- what is the sacrament of Reconciliation of a Pentinent like in the 1928 BCP?

quote:
I'm curious- what is the sacrament of Reconciliation of a Pentinent like in the 1928 BCP?

What is the 1928 BCP as you know it? Here in England, it is the deposited book which did not get through both Houses of Parliament in that year. So 1662 BCP remained extant and until liturgical reform in the 1970s, the proposed BCP 1928 was used unofficially in many places. But that is another topic entirely.

I would have to see a copy of the book to which you refer to be able to look up the text for the sacrament of reconciliation as contained therein.

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

In the United States, the 1928 was the authorised prayer-book until until its replacement in the 1970s.

If you want to look up the form of Confession it provides, Chalice Girl, it should be in here somewhere...

ChaliceGirl, if you are referring to the US 1928, as far as I know there isn't a form for private reconciliation of a penitent. I imagine Catholic parishes in PECUSA used forms found in Fr. Belton's Manual for Confessors, the Holy Cross edition of St. Augustine's Prayer Book, or some other form. I believe that S. Clement's Philadelphia uses the form found in the English Ritual.

Double-posting to say - doesn't seem to be there! The Visitation of the Sick is included, and includes a rubric stating that a person may make a confession of any particular sin and be assured of God's forgiveness, but no liturgy is provided for this.

DJ_O, my understanding is that private auricular confession was a little too "advanced" or "extreme" for PECUSA to have included in the '28. It was certainly a hotly disputed practice during the eras of the Tractarians and the early Ritualists. Hence the use of extramural texts for the practice until the '79.

Yes, that would make sense. As, of course, Anglicans in the Church of England do now.

BCP 1662 Visitation of the Sick has:

Here shall the sick person be moved to make a special confession of his sins, if he feel his conscience troubled with any weighty matter. After which confession, the Priest shall absolve him (if he humbly and heartily desire it) after this sort.

OUR Lord Jesus Christ, who hath left power to his Church to absolve all sinners who truly repent and believe in him, of his great mercy forgive thee thine offences: And by his authority committed to me, I absolve thee from all thy sins, In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

As, of course, Anglicans in the Church of England do now.
dj_ordinaire

Common Worship now has a couple of Rites of Reconciliation, one of which is available in a handy booklet form. You can find them in the CW Rites of Initiation book.
Not all priests in the Church of England have discovered this yet and you may be given a copy of their preferred version (usually with the words 'you don't need to use this if you don't want to' as they pass it over.)

In the English Book of Common Prayer proposed in 1928, but never legally sanctioned by the Houses of Parliament, the wording is identical to that given above by Leo from the BCP 1662 Visitation of the sick - I think this is the wording on the card given to penitents in my shack.

Chive asked for help in structuring one's examination of conscience - I found the following three links helpful when I prepared for my first confession, and for subsequent confessions:
Anglican
Orthodox
a shorter Orthodox self-examination

I'm sure there are plenty more that others have used and could recommend.

The Anglican one was published in 1947!

Leo wrote:
quote:
Yeah, I know, it's a bit modern for my tastes too, but at least it's not infected with the taint of modernism ...

Posted by St.Silas the carter (# 12867) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mother Julian:
Leo wrote:
quote:
Yeah, I know, it's a bit modern for my tastes too, but at least it's not infected with the taint of modernism ...
Prudery-
That's a new word for me.
I learned some other new words from that too.
I'll remember them next time I make my confession.

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
I always had the impression, mainly gained through the movies, that if you went to confession you did so once a week or you couldn't receive communion. Which shows the depth and scale of my ignorance I suppose.

That sounds about right to me. Some priests, if they don't know you, will ask. IME, if you haven't confessed, you will either have your confession heard then and there by that priest who will "pause" communion for you, or, if there is another priets present, you may be directed to one of them. This is what my bishop does. Also, I have seen this done at the Pokrov parish in Manchester.

Posted by Mama Thomas (# 10170) on :

Here's a wonderful Examination of Conscience to copy and save based on the Seven Deadly Sins:

quote:
PRIDE
Putting yourself as the centre and objective of your life in place of God, or putting God in some compartment of your life. It is the refusal to recognise your status as a creature, dependent on God for your existence, and placed by God in a specific relationship to the rest of creation.

Irreverence
Making a choice of not going to the worship of God every Sunday in his church, or choosing amusements that keep you up late on Saturday night, or not paying attention to the service. Not thinking other Holy Days or of additional opportunities for giving God honour are important. Failure to thank God or to express your thanks to him adequately. Disrespect for God or holy things by treating them, in thought, word or deed, in a disrespectful, scornful or over-familiar manner. Use of holy things for personal advantage, or the attempt to bribe or appease God by religious practices or promises.

Sentimentality
Being satisfied with emotional ‘high’, or participating in religious activities with the hope of emotional ecstasy or admiring beautiful ceremonies without striving to obey God’s will.

Presumption
Depending on yourself rather than on God, therefore neglecting of the means of grace---sacraments and prayer. Dispensing yourself from ordinary duties on the grounds that you imagine you are superior to other people. Being self-satisfied or conceited over your spiritual achievements. Refusal to avoid, when possible, occasions of temptation. Always preferring your own ideas, customs, schemes or techniques. Foolish optimism. Failure to recognise your job as a divine vocation, or to offer your work to God. Unwillingness to surrender to abide in Christ, to let him act in and through you. Failure to offer God regularly in intercession the persons or causes that you should support.

Distrust
Refusing to recognise God’s wisdom, providence and love. Worry, anxiety, misgivings, scrupulosity, or perfectionism. Attempts to discern or control the future by magic, using spirits or ‘angels’, astrology, fortunetelling or the like. Magic or superstition. Taking offence at being slighted by others. Expecting that others will dislike, reject, or mistreat you; over-readiness so to interpret their attitude, or quickness to take offence. Unfounded suspicions. Being timid about accepting responsibility, or cowardly in the face of difficulty or suffering. Surrender to feelings of depression, gloom, pessimism, discouragement, self-pity, or fear of death, instead of fighting to be brave, cheerful and hopeful.

Disobedience
Rejecting God’s known will in favour of your own interests or pleasures. Disobeying the legitimate laws, regulations, rules or authority of the church, state, parents, teachers, etc.; or slow and reluctant obedience. Failure when in authority to fulfil responsibilities or consider the best interests of those under you. Refusal to learn God’s nature or will as revealed in scripture, expounded in instructions or expert advice, or discernible through prayer, meditation or the reading of religious books. Being absorbed in your own affairs, leaving little time, energy or interest for the things of God. Violation of confidence. Breaking of legitimate promises or contracts. Irresponsibility. Betrayal of another’s trust. Unnecessary disappointment of another, or the causing of shame or anxiety to those in your sphere of life.

Impenitence
Refusing to search out and face up to your sins, or to confess them or admit them before God. Disregard of your sins or pretending that you are better than you are. Self-justification or discounting your sins as insignificant, natural or inevitable. Self-righteous comparison of yourself with others. Refusal to accept just punishment or to make due reparation or compensation when possible. Deceit or lying to escape the consequences of your sins, or allowing another to take the blame for your faults. Overcompensation or attempts at self-reform or self-vengeance, to avoid surrender to God in humble penitence. Shame (hurt pride), sorrow for yourself because your sins make you less respectable than you like to think you are, or because you fear punishment or injury to your reputation, rather than sorrow for what sin is in the eyes of God. Refusal to admit that you were in the wrong or to apologise. Refusal to accept forgiveness from God or others. Doubt that God can forgive your sins, or being too proud to use the means of getting assurance of his forgiveness when you need it, that is making sacramental confession before a priest. Failure to examine one’s conscience regularly. Unwillingness to forgive yourself.

Vanity
Taking credit for yourself rather than for God your talents, abilities, insights, accomplishments, good works. Refusal to admit indebtedness to and dependence on others, or not adequately expressing thanks for their help. Hypocrisy. Pretending to have virtues you do not possess. False humility. Harsh judgment on others for faults you excuse in yourselves. Boasting, exaggeration, drawing attention to yourself by talking too much, by claiming ability, wisdom, experience, or influence you do not have, or by eccentric or ostentatious behaviour. Undue concern over, or expenditure of time, money, or energy on looks, dress, surroundings, etc., in order to impress others; or deliberate slovenliness for the same purpose. Seeking, desiring and believing flattery or compliments.

Arrogance
Insisting that others conform to your wishes, recognise your leadership, accept your own estimate of your worth as superior or inferior. Being overbearing, argumentative, opinionated, or obstinate.

Snobbery
Pride over race, family, origins, position, class, personality, education, skill, achievements or possessions.

ANGER
Open rebellion against God or your fellow creatures. Its purpose and desire is to eliminate any obstacle to your self-seeking, to get even against any threat to your security, to avenge insult or injury to your person.

Resentment
Refusal to discern, accept or fulfil God’s vocation. Not being satisfied with the talents, abilities, or opportunities God has given you. Unwillingness to face up to difficulties or sacrifices. Unjustified rebellion or complaint at the circumstances of your life. Escape from reality or the attempt to force your will upon it. Transferring to God, to your parents, to society, or to other individuals of the blame for your problems and lack of adjustment; hatred of God, and antisocial behaviour. Feeling and showing contempt for anyone for whom Christ die.. Being annoyed at the awkwardness of life and work; profanity, grumbling and murmuring.

Pugnacity
Attack upon another in anger. Murder in deed or desire. Combativeness or nursing of grudges. Injury to another by striking, cursing or insulting him; or by damaging his reputation or property. Quarrelsomeness.

Retaliation
Vengeance for wrongs real or imagined, or the plotting or harbouring revenge. Harsh or excessive punishment. Hostility, being petulant, or rashly judging a situation. Refusal to forgive, or to offer or accept reconciliation. Unwillingness to love, to do good to, or to pray for enemies. Boycotting or ostracizing another for selfish reasons. Spoiling others. Pleasure by uncooperativeness or disdain, because you have not got your way, or because you feel out of sorts or superior.

ENVY
Being dissatisfied with your place in God’s order of creation, manifested in resenting his gifts and vocations to others.

Jealousy
Offence at the talents, success or good fortune of others. Selfish or unnecessary rivalry or competition. Pleasure at others difficulties or distress. Belittling others.

Malice
Ill-will, false accusations, slander, backbiting. Reading false motives into others behaviour. Starting, collecting or repeating gossip. Arousing, fostering or organising antagonism against others. Unnecessary criticism, even when true. Deliberately annoying others, teasing or bullying.

Contempt
Scorn of another’s virtue, ability, shortcomings, or failings. Prejudice against those you consider inferior, or who consider us inferior, or who seem to threaten your security or position. Ridicule of persons, institutions or ideals.

COVETOUSNESS
The refusal to respect the integrity of other creatures, expressed in the inordinate accumulation of material things; in the use of other persons for your personal advantage; or in the quest for status, power or security at their expense.

Inordinate Ambition
Seeking status, power, influence, reputation, or possessions at the expense of the moral law, of other obligations, or of the rights of others. Ruthless or unfair competition. Putting self or family first. Conformity to standards you recognise as wrong or inadequate in order to get ahead. Intrigue or conspiracy for self-advancement.

Domination
Seeking to use or possess others. Over-protection of children; refusal to correct or punish lest you lose their affection; insistence that they conform to your ideal for them contrary to their own vocation. Imposing your will on others by force, guile, whining, or refusal to cooperate. Over-readiness to advise or command; abuse of authority. Patronising, pauperising, putting others under a debt of gratitude, or considering yourself ill-used when others. Selling your affection or compliance. Respect of persons, favouritism, partiality, flattery, fawning, or bribery to win support or affection. Refusing to uphold the truth to fulfil duties, to perform good acts, or to defend those wrongfully attacked, because you fear criticism or ridicule, or because you seek to gain the favour or approval of others. Leading, tempting or encouraging another to sin.

Avarice
Inordinate pursuit of wealth or material things. Theft, dishonesty, misrepresentation, or sharing in stolen goods. Cheating in business, taxes, school or games. Making worldly success the goal of your life or the standard for judging others.

Prodigality
Waste of natural resources or personal possessions. Extravagance or living beyond your income, to impress others or to maintain status. Failure to pay debts. Gambling more than you can afford to lose, or to win unearned profits. Unnecessary borrowing or carelessness with others. money. Spending on yourself of what is needed for the welfare of others.

Pretending to be poorer than you are
Undue protection of wealth or security. Selfish insistence on vested interests or on claimed rights. Refusal to support or help those who have a claim on us. Sponging on others. Stinginess. Failure to give due proportion of your income to Church and charity, or of your time and energy to good works. Failure to pay pledges promised to the Church or charities, when able to do so.

GLUTTONY
The overindulgence of natural appetites for food and drink, and by extension the excessive quest for pleasure or comfort.

Intemperance
Overindulgence in food, drink, smoking, or other physical pleasures. Fastidiousness, fussiness, demanding excessively high standards, or dilettantism. Condemnation of some material things or pleasures as evil in themselves, attempting to prohibit their use rather than their abuse.

Lack of Discipline
Negligence in keeping the days of fasting or abstinence, or failure to use other needed means of self-discipline. Neglect of bodily health. Not getting sufficient rest, recreation, exercise or wholesome nourishment. Failure to use or to cooperate with available medical care when ill. Use of sickness as a means of escape from responsibilities.

LUST
The misuse of sex for personal gratification, debasing it from the holy purpose for which God has given it to us.

Unchastity
Violation of the Church’s marriage laws. Lack of consideration for one’s partner in the use of the marital relationship. Refusal to fulfil the purpose of Holy Matrimony in the bringing forth and giving adequate care to children, or to take your full share in the responsibilities or work involved. Unfaithfulness to one’s spouse. Sexual indulgence outside matrimony, in thought or act, alone or with others.

Immodesty
Stimulation of sexual desire in others by word, dress,
or actions; or in one’s self by reading, pictures, or fantasies. Collecting or recounting dirty stories.

Prudery
Fear of sex or condemnation of it as evil in itself. Refusal to seek adequate sexual instruction or the attempt to prevent others from obtaining it. Stimulation of excessive and harmful curiosity by undue secrecy. Repression of sex.

Cruelty
Deliberate infliction of pain, mental or physical. Tormenting of animals.

SLOTH
The refusal to respond to your opportunities for growth, service or sacrifice.

Laziness
Indolence in performing spiritual, mental or physical duties, or neglect of family, business or social obligations or courtesies. Procrastination of disliked tasks. Busyness or triviality to avoid more important commitments. Devotion of excessive time to rest, recreation, amusement, television, or the like. Waste of employer’s time, or shoddy or inadequate work.

Indifference
Unconcern over injustice to others, especially that caused by currently accepted social standards; or unmindfulness of the suffering of the world. Failure to become adequately informed on both sides of contemporary issues or on the Christian principles involved. Neglect of duties to state or community. Failure to provide adequately for, or to treat justly those in your employ. Ignoring of needy, lonely or unpopular persons in your own or the parish family, or in the neighbourhood; or unwillingness to minister to them. Insufficient attention to the religious and other needs of your family. Failure to fulfil your obligation of Christian missionary witness, or to take a full and informed part to make the church’s unity and holiness a manifest reality on earth.

Posted by chive (# 208) on :

Thank you all for your advice. I made my first confession today. I had the choice of doing it face to face in the priest's study or kneeling next to him as he sat in a chair in the church. I didn't know which to choose so he decided to do it in the church so that his study didn't have any associations with it.

It was very scary and somewhat stressful but I'm so very glad that I've done it.

Nice to hear, chive. I am glad you did it. I felt the same way- scared, but glad afterwards.

quote:
Thank you all for your advice. I made my first confession today. I had the choice of doing it face to face in the priest's study or kneeling next to him as he sat in a chair in the church. I didn't know which to choose so he decided to do it in the church so that his study didn't have any associations with it.

It was very scary and somewhat stressful but I'm so very glad that I've done it.

Blessings!

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

Congratulations chive, I am so glad you have found a religious context in which you feel mroe at home.

Posted by Ahleal V (# 8404) on :

I went to confession for the second time in my life earlier this week - Anglo-Catholic style kneeling before the Reserved Sacrament.

Two things that have partiucuarly remained in my mind since then

1) How different it is to confessing at Mass - during then it all seems so rushed, and even pouring out my soul as I kneel at the rail seems more like a spiritual babble. This was slow and measured - and it all hits home as you get to the point where you actually have to list your sins. I froze for a moment.

2) The liturgy - it's still rather unfamiliar to me, but certain parts of it seemed to resonante as I heard them and have stayed with me since.

The Introit

The Lord be in thy heart and upon thy lips, that so thou mayest worthily confess all thy sins; In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

And the Dismissal

May the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the merits of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of all the Saints, whatever good thou shalt have done or evil endured, be for thee unto the remission of thy sins, the increase of grace, and the reward of everlasting life. Amen. Go in peace, and pray for me, a sinner.

The words seem to be still echoing around my mind even now.

x

AV

Nice thoughts, AV.

Posted by ecumaniac (# 376) on :

quote:
Thank you all for your advice. I made my first confession today.

[Axe murder]

Thought I'd bump this up because it's Lent and therefore... "Confession Season."

I do "confess" that I still have not done a private confession this Lent. (Yes, I know I still have time.)
Should I be feeling guilty?

quote:
I do "confess" that I still have not done a private confession this Lent. (Yes, I know I still have time.) Should I be feeling guilty?

You and I both. Don't feel guilty; just add it to your list. I haven't made a sacramental Confession in more than 20 years and again hope to do so this Lent.

© Ship of Fools 2016