Thread: Eccles: Eastern Catholic Church Liturgy Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000764

Posted by Eddy (# 3583) on :

I have been reading in Wikipedia etc about Uniate churches, and they seem fascinting. If I got it right they are Churches which keep their liturgies - like the Orthodox churches but are in full union with the Holy Father.

I take it this is what is also proposed for some Anglicans.

What I'm not so clear is whether or not the Uniate churches keep the same liturgy as the non- Uniate church i.e. does for example the Russian orthodox Church and the Russian Catholic Church use the same liturgy?

I can't quite see how they can as they must differ in doctrine if one is in union with the Holy Father and the other isn't.

Whatever, it seems to me that the principal is a good one.

Perhaps it could extend elsewhere. For example, Methodists in full union with the Archbishop of Canterbury who are allowed to use their Methodis liturgy.

[Title edit, T² Eccles Host]

[ 06. October 2010, 06:48: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Posted by sabine (# 3861) on :

I attended a Byzantine Catholic service once and the paper in my hand told me it was the "Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom," which I believe is also what the Orthodox use.

The priest invited both Orthodox and RC to receive communion.

The language used for the service was Old Church Slovonic (can't quite remember the spelling). It was fascinating.

But it was my only experience, so I can't provide more information.

sabine

Posted by Martin L (# 11804) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eddy:
I can't quite see how they can as they must differ in doctrine if one is in union with the Holy Father and the other isn't.

The Catholic Church allows the Anaphora of Addai and Mari as a valid eucharistic prayer, even though it does not contain the Words of Institution at all. It is used by Chaldeans in communion with Rome.

This directly concerns the most important part of the Catholic Mass--indeed concerns the moment of consecration, the words placed in HUMONGOUS letters in almost all missals--and those words are missing. Yet Rome still allows it.

Doctrinally speaking, if they allow that, what is to stop them from allowing pretty much anything else?

[eta, like Sabine, I attended the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom in an Eastern Rite Catholic church. Although I have no frame of reference, I can say it was what I would have expected for the DL of SJC, given what I have read. The liturgy I attended was mostly in English, with a tiny bit of Slavonic thrown in, mostly Gospodi stuff.]

[ 22. April 2010, 22:07: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posted by Manipled Mutineer (# 11514) on :

I know that Eastern Catholic* liturgies vary somewhat in detail one between the other (I have rather an interesting illustrated book on them which I much dip nto one day) but I believe that the liturgies are similar in most respects to those used in their counterpart Eastern Orthodox Churches, barring some accommodation which I have heard has taken place in some of them to Vatican II.

*a small note - I believe that "Uniate" is considered an offensive term by Eastern Catholics.

That is so interesting Martin L, and suggests in these Uniate Churches the RC Church allows things in doctrine and understanding of liturgy that they are not allowing or are even speaking against in other places. Now I call that pretty odd. But maybe some guy here can explain why it should be so.

I dont know about that Addai and Mari liturgy. I've not come across it, but it certainly doesnt sound as if it will go in the Missal.

But if these churches are in union with the Holy Father does he celebrate using there liturgies then?

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

I was under the understanding that the service was the same as the Russian Orthodox Liturgy of St. Ivan Goldenmouth. Even to the extent of leaving out the Philly O'Quay. I've been to one Byzantine Catholic service and didn't notice any difference at all from outside the iconostas, except there was no choir and they had pyooz and sat down for big chunks of the service (evil western influence). But I don't remember if the epiclesis was done aloud or silently so I can't say if the words were the same.

It seems odd to e if the liturgies are identical, and do they have the same orders that the Orthodox church do - like readers and subdeacons and so on, for there liturgies.

I dont know if the Orthodox liturgy names the bishop in it but if so then that'll be a difference if they are praying for the Holy father in the liturgy.

Posted by teddybear (# 7842) on :

Canonically I am a Ukrainian Greek Catholic. Most Eastern Catholics consider "uniate" a bad word, so be prepared to take some flack over that. Also, recent documents and agreements between the Orthodox and Eastern Catholics all say that the old "uniate" model is very outdated and something to be avoided. Eastern Catholics prefer to be called by their proper titles, i.e. Melkites, Ukrainian Greek Catholics, Byzantine Catholics, etc. If I remember correctly there are 22 Sui Juris Churches in communion with the Pope of Rome.

As for Liturgy, they are all "supposed" to use the exact same Liturgy as their Orthodox counterparts. Some may adapt the Liturgy in various ways, some may have illegally retained some Latin rite influence. Rome has called for them to return to their historical liturgical roots, but some have not always done so.

This is the best source for information on the various Eastern Christian Churches, both Orthodox and in Union with the Church of Rome. If you have more in depth questions, I can also put you in touch with the deacon at the local Ukrainian Catholic parish. He loves talking about the Eastern Catholic Churches.

PS I am sorry if Uniate is a none PC term.

Can someone clarify and help on this one, please?

No offense is meant in my using the term.

quote:
But if these churches are in union with the Holy Father does he celebrate using there liturgies then?

I don't know if there has been a pope yet who could speak Syriac or Aramaic let alone use them liturgically.

In the novendiales masses after the death of Pope John Paul II, Cardinal Sfeir celebrated an Eastern Rite liturgy, concelebrated by Cardinal Daoud, who for a long time (possibly still) could be seen along with the other cardinal-bishop concelebrants at most televised papal masses. He sometimes even concelebrated at the Roman rite papal masses, but in his Eastern vestments.

quote:
I dont know if the Orthodox liturgy names the bishop in it but if so then that'll be a difference if they are praying for the Holy father in the liturgy.

That doesn't count as a difference in the liturgy. Obviously the Orthodox parishes under different bishops are going to say their bishop's name rather than some other one -- but that doesn't mean they're not using the same liturgy. You wouldn't say you used a different baptismal service just because you stated the name of a different person to be baptised.

Posted by Manipled Mutineer (# 11514) on :

quote:
PS I am sorry if Uniate is a none PC term.

Can someone clarify and help on this one, please?

No offense is meant in my using the term.

As I noted in my post above, "Uniate" can be considered an offensive term. I am not familiar enough with the background as to why this might be to supply an answer at the moment but will see what I can find out.

Posted by Michael Astley (# 5638) on :

quote:
Originally posted by teddybear:
As for Liturgy, they are all "supposed" to use the exact same Liturgy as their Orthodox counterparts. Some may adapt the Liturgy in various ways, some may have illegally retained some Latin rite influence. Rome has called for them to return to their historical liturgical roots, but some have not always done so.

Thank you for this, teddybear.

I have no direct experience of Eastern Catholic worship but have relied on printed texts and videos. I have formed something of an e-friendship with a priest of a Ukrainian Greek Catholic parish which is quite prolific on Youtube, (many of you will know the parish I mean), and I have held them up before now as a model of faithfulness to the services of the Byzantine Rite. From what I have seen of their videos and service booklets, they actually offer the services more correctly than many Orthodox do!

However, I have seen photograps of the interior of my local Ukrainian Greek Catholic church and it does show some signs of latinisation. While that is only anecdotal, as is this, I did an analysis of one of the forms of the St John Chrysostom Liturgy used in the Catholic church and this is what I found.

In fact, having looked once again at that version of the Liturgy of St John Chrysostom, I notice that the priest's beautiful prayer of preparation before the Great Entrance has also been omitted, as has the dialogue of the cherubic hymn between the priest and deacon that follows it. I failed to notice this when I last looked at that liturgical text. The other prayers that the priest says quietly are included in that text so the fact that these examples are said quietly cannot be the reason for their omission. I can only assume that they are simply left out.

Here is the missing text:

quote:
None is worthy among those who are bound with fleshly desires and pleasures to approach Thee, or to draw nigh unto Thee, or to minister unto Thee, O King of Glory, for to serve Thee is grave and fearful even unto the heavenly hosts. Yet, by reason of thine ineffable and immeasurable love for mankind, Thou becamest man without undergoing change or alteration, and art become our High Priest, and hast delivered unto us the priestly service of this liturgical and unbloody sacrifice, as Master of all. For Thou alone, O Lord our God, art Master of things heavenly and earthly, Who art borne on the throne of the cherubim, Who art good and ready to hear: look upon me, thy sinful and unprofitable servant, and purge my soul and my heart from an evil conscience; and by the power of the Holy Spirit enable me, who have been invested with the grace of the priesthood, to stand before this thy Holy Table and to celebrate the priestly service of thy holy and immaculate Body and most precious Blood. For unto Thee I draw nigh, bowing my neck, and I pray Thee: turn not away thy face from me, nor reject me from among thy children, but vouchsafe that these gifts may be offered to Thee by me, thy sinful and unworthy servant. For Thou art He Who offereth and is offered, and Who accepteth and is distributed, O Christ our God, and unto Thee do we send up glory, with thine unoriginate Father, and thine all-holy, and good, and life-creating Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

The censing being complete, the priest and deacon stand before the Holy Table, and say the Cherubic hymn three times in a low voice. Each time, the priest raises his hands and the deacon his orarion. If there is no deacon, the priest says the entire hymn alone.

Priest: We who, in a mystery, represent the Cherubim, and who sing the thrice-holy hymn unto the life-creating Trinity: let us now lay aside all earthly cares...

They make a reverence.

Deacon: ...that we may receive the King of all, invisibly upborne in triumph by the ranks of Angels. Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

Posted by Forthview (# 12376) on :

The Ukrainian Catholic church in Edinburgh has no iconstasis (being sited in a former Presbyterian church) It has behind the altar a wonderful picture representing St Andrew,patron of Scotland ,in Kiev where ther is a church off St Andrew also.The liturgy used there is the same as the Orthodox liturgy,but in the list of bishops pryaed for there is the name of the pope of Rome.That is the only difference as I assume that the Orthodox do not have regular prayers for the pope, though I am not an expert on Eastern liturgies.

The word 'Uniate' is considered as a pejorative term because a good number of the 'Uniate' churches came into communion with rome possibly in the first place because of political considerations - e.g. a numeber of 'Uniate 'churches came into fullcommunion with rome during the period of Roman catholic domination over their territories.Western ukraine was incorporated into the Polish Lithuanian state and later into the Hapsburg empire.At this time the bishops saw it as politically expedient as indeed also thought the rulers to be united with Rome.That at least is the view both of some Orthodox as well as some Eastern rite Catholics,sometimes also called Greek Catholics. these Catholics may of course be no more Greek than roman Catholics are necessarily Romans. It just refers to the rite.

The Ukrainian church in Edinburgh has some Western looking icons of the Sacred Heart and our Lady of Lourdes,but is otherwise the same as an Orthodox church.The lack of iconostasis is a feature of this particular church building,not of the Ukrainian church in general.Eastern rite liturgies are regularly celebrated also in Latin rite churches in Scotland as pastoral necessity dictates.

P.S.sorry for the many spelling and typing errors.I should have read more carefully.I think that it can be understood.

On a slight aside - do the Uniate / Eastern Catholic churches use the Pope's version of the creed (Nicene) or do they use the Greek orthodox version?

That would be a bit of a doctrinal difference wouldnt it?

I hadn't realised tht the usual western formula of the Nicene Creed was the pope's version.So do anglicans use the pope's version of the Creed ? And ,if so, does that make them (almost) roman Catholics ?

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
I hadn't realised tht the usual western formula of the Nicene Creed was the pope's version.So do anglicans use the pope's version of the Creed ? And ,if so, does that make them (almost) roman Catholics ?

To my knowledge, those Catholic churches which use the Byzantine rite say the creed sans filioque because their liturgy is of Greek rather than Latin origin, and the filioque doesn't exist in the Greek version.

Anglicans are a mixed bag where this is concerned. Their heritage is from the Latin liturgical tradition and it is on this that the original BCP was based, so the filioque was simply inherited and that was that. However, recent times have seen variation. The Anglican Province of the West Indies did not print the filioque in its 1980 prayer book but it appeared in the 1995 (current) version. My understanding is that, while TEC has it, a motion has been passed to remove it at the next revision of its prayer book. The Church of England has the Creed with filioque in its main texts, but provides an alternative version without for use on "suitable ecumenical occasions", leaving it up to local authority to decide what such an occasion might be. I once heard that the Scottish Episcopal Church got rid of the filioque but I can't say when - it certainly appears in their 1982 services but I don't know whether they have done any revisions since.

quote:

Sorry for the shorthand. What I meant is do the Uniate churches use the usual western version of the creed or the other version?

You see if there is full unity with Rome then surely I think there is doctrinal unoty. So do the Eastern Catholics accept the Immaculate Conception and other western doctrines that the Orthodox christians do not accept.

Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras (# 11274) on :

TEC got rid of the filioque in the Liturgies for Trial Use (the "Green Book") that preceeded the adoption of the current 1979 BCP in which the filioque is restored. Should the filioque be definitively thrown out in the next prayerbook revision I would expect that a minority of parishes - Anglican liturgical traditionalists and more old fashioned Anglo-Catholics - won't conform to the "new" Creed sine filioque.

Posted by New Yorker (# 9898) on :

quote:
You see if there is full unity with Rome then surely I think there is doctrinal unoty. So do the Eastern Catholics accept the Immaculate Conception and other western doctrines that the Orthodox christians do not accept.

This is a very interesting question. I've always thought that Rome and the Eastern Churches fudged a little here. Maybe I am not informed enough on the matter?

Thanks New Yorker. I'm hoping someone can answer this one. It seems to me that whatever may be said there will be differences and I wonder how the RC Church copes with them, and how much doctrinal difference is allowed.

I think, but am not very up in the knowledge here, that there are in fact quite a few doctrinal differences between the Catholic (RC style) church and, say, the Greek Orthodox Church.

Well, I surfed the net and its seems that most Eastern Catholic sites that I came across state that they fully accept all of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, although they have their own version that deals with matters from an Eastern viewpoint. I bet they agree with Rome on all matters, but that they language used is crafted carefully.

Thanks for that New Yorker. One thing I think is that the Catholic church of the west says doctrine can develop and new things come - like Our Lady's Assumption as dogma. I think the East churches arent so keen on that and so that may make a difference.

That makes me think their may be differences in the liturgy and in feast days. Like do the Eastern Catholic churches have Assumption as a Solemnity? - Or Immaculate Conception? And are their special Icons for these solemnities.

Posted by otyetsfoma (# 12898) on :

I posess Sluzhebniks both of the Ruthenian (Ukrainian) and Russian eastern papal churches. The Ukrainian has the filioque in red brackets, but the Russian omits it entirely. Both differ from the orthodox in the rubric about the teplon (hot water added to the chalice before Communion). The Ukrainian has the whole ceremony of teplon in red brackets, and both specify that only a small quantity of hot water is added. The orthodox add enough hot water that the whole chalice feels warm. I believe that the red bracketed parts were used or disused at the discretion of the bishop.

Oh, to be able to explore your library! [Smile]

Posted by +Chad (# 5645) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Astley:
Anglicans are a mixed bag where this is concerned. Their heritage is from the Latin liturgical tradition and it is on this that the original BCP was based, so the filioque was simply inherited and that was that. However, recent times have seen variation. The Anglican Province of the West Indies did not print the filioque in its 1980 prayer book but it appeared in the 1995 (current) version. My understanding is that, while TEC has it, a motion has been passed to remove it at the next revision of its prayer book. The Church of England has the Creed with filioque in its main texts, but provides an alternative version without for use on "suitable ecumenical occasions", leaving it up to local authority to decide what such an occasion might be. I once heard that the Scottish Episcopal Church got rid of the filioque but I can't say when - it certainly appears in their 1982 services but I don't know whether they have done any revisions since.

These removals are the result of resolutions at two successive Lambeth Conferences, and said resolutions are the rsult of our Anglican/Orthodox conversations over a number of years.

The first joint statement was produced in 1976, and it was at the 1978 Lambeth Conference that the first resolution to dump the filioque was passed

As Michael points out, some Provinces grasped the nettle and got rid of it altogether, the CofE, in my opinion, dithered, and made it an alternative. [Disappointed]

They have dithered for a longer time than you think: the suggestion to remove filioque was first made in the days of William and Mary at the abortive "Liturgy of Comprehension" discussions.

I knew about the William and Mary proposal, I was just referring to more recent dithering.
Some might say we've been dithering since 1534! [Big Grin]

I suppose what is of interest about the Eastern Catholic churches in relation to the West is whether they use the same Calendar and Liturgy of their sister Orthodox church or if they have change things a bit, to fit in more with the Roman Catholic church.

However, I am puzzled on the feasts proclaimed as dogma by the Holy Father, and the Eastern catholic Churches. I mean if they are communion with the Holy Father then they have to accept Immaculate Conception and Assumption, for example. But its not just a matter of accepting is it, surely if you hold these things then you'll want to celebrate there feast days in your regular worship.

As far as I know all those in full communion of faith with the Roman pontiff ,must be - well - in full communion of faith. That means that they must agree in all essentials with the teachings of the Universal Church. How that agreement is expressed in mere human words can sometimes be a little bit difficult.

It is quite a different matter with the words and forms of the liturgy which are to some extent culture based.The exact temperature of the water added to the chalice ,for example,is not a matter of doctrine.The main thing is that there is a unity of faith and communion.

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

Sorr for the hit-and-run post, but for now:

quote:
I suppose what is of interest about the Eastern Catholic churches in relation to the West is whether they use the same Calendar and Liturgy of their sister Orthodox church or if they have change things a bit, to fit in more with the Roman Catholic church.

However, I am puzzled on the feasts proclaimed as dogma by the Holy Father, and the Eastern catholic Churches. I mean if they are communion with the Holy Father then they have to accept Immaculate Conception and Assumption, for example. But its not just a matter of accepting is it, surely if you hold these things then you'll want to celebrate there feast days in your regular worship.

The direction you're going with these questions is really headed more into Purgatory territory, IMHO, but for now:

The Catholic Church is made up of over 20 (forget the exact number right now) self governing churches (called sui iuris ). By far the largest is the the Latin Church everyone is familiar with, but there are also all the Eastern Catholic Churches like the Maronites, the Melkites, the Ukrainian Catholics etc.

In some cases the individual sui iuris church is identical with a Rite. Broadly speaking a Rite (with a capital 'R') is a particular tradition of prayer, spirituality, worship, liturgy and more. In other cases more than one sui iuris Church shares a Rite. This would be the case with many of the Eastern Catholic Churches who share the Byzantine Rite. For example, the Ukrainian Catholics Church and the Melkite Church both use the Byzantine Rite.

Not all Eastern Catholics use the Byzantine Rite. For example, neither the Maronites (originally from Lebanon) or the Syro-Malabars (originally from India) use the Byzantine Rite.

As far as I'm aware the churches that follow the Byzantine Rite pretty much follow the same Calendar and Liturgy of their sister Orthodox churches (It appears this was pretty much already pointed out to you above). There may be a few minor differences owing to the history and experiences of a given Eastern Catholic Church.

Because Eastern Catholics have their own Rites they have their own way of expressing the beliefs they share with Western Catholics. They have no need to express it the exact same way as it's done in the Latin Church.

I wonder why the difference on the teplon? Was that something they used to do before joining with Rome, and if so why did they stop?

[tangent]Isn't via media Latin for "the ones that dither"?[/tangent]

Pancho, thank you.

You write:
quote:
Because Eastern Catholics have their own Rites they have their own way of expressing the beliefs they share with Western Catholics. They have no need to express it the exact same way as it's done in the Latin Church.
Indeed.

But how then in worship do Eastern Catholics celebrate the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption.

And are there not other significant differences in doctrine between east and West that lead to a difference in worship?

I guess the same thought could come up with Anglican Uniates and Rome. I mean some Anglcian churches have been aloud to carry on their Book of Common Prayer services - but what about their Calendars? They too wont have some of the biggie RC solemnities

Posted by Mama Thomas (# 10170) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
TEC got rid of the filioque in the Liturgies for Trial Use (the "Green Book") that preceeded the adoption of the current 1979 BCP in which the filioque is restored. Should the filioque be definitively thrown out in the next prayerbook revision I would expect that a minority of parishes - Anglican liturgical traditionalists and more old fashioned Anglo-Catholics - won't conform to the "new" Creed sine filioque.

I don't mind the filioque in or out, but I do mind the word "power" added which is not in the original and is such a weak and watery word as well as an idea that Jesus was conceived not by the Holy Spirit, but by his "power", as indeed everything else was too. It is a weak and mitigating word, and I wonder why now one has jumped on our case for it yet.

I once knew an Orthodox family who were considering converting to an "Orthodox Church in Communion with Rome". They were arguing that the service was just the same, that the priest would was married, and indeed they had some distant relatives in the "united" Church.

After a couple of years of dithering, they decided to stay Orthodox because liturgy is not everything, the words might have been the same, but there was an certain undefinable something, an ethos I suppose, that felt "foreign" to them. This was in Romania, where most people are fiercely loyal Orthodox, at least once or twice a year.

The same problem is in many Anglican Churches. There maybe a breakaway under an African bishop or independent down the road using the same liturgy, 79, 28, missal, CW whatever, but does not allow women, or gays, or gay women, but though the words are the same, the ethos is quite different.

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
I don't mind the filioque in or out, but I do mind the word "power" added which is not in the original and is such a weak and watery word as well as an idea that Jesus was conceived not by the Holy Spirit, but by his "power", as indeed everything else was too. It is a weak and mitigating word, and I wonder why now one has jumped on our case for it yet.

"Power" is removed in the more modern versions (ELLC new versions).

quote:

But how then in worship do Eastern Catholics celebrate the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption.

And are there not other significant differences in doctrine between east and West that lead to a difference in worship?

I guess the same thought could come up with Anglican Uniates and Rome. I mean some Anglcian churches have been aloud to carry on their Book of Common Prayer services - but what about their Calendars? They too wont have some of the biggie RC solemnities [/QB]

The Ukrainian Greek Catholics celebrate the Conception of St. Anne on the 9th of December and celebrate the Dormition of the Theotokos on August 15th. We use the same Liturgy for these feasts as do the Slavic Orthodox. We also follow the same calender as the Orthodox, for the most part. We do have a few saints and feast days they don't, but they have a few we don't too. We have been told time and time again that our liturgies should have nothing more and nothing less than the Orthodox. The only difference in a Divine Liturgy celebrated by an Eastern Catholic Church and its Orthodox equivalent should be the naming of the Pope in the litanies.

OK, one last time and then I really, really, need to go...

quote:
Pancho, thank you.

You write:
quote:
Indeed.

Well, if they're Maronites they celebrate the way Maronites do , if they follow the the Byzantine Rite they observe the Dormition of the Theotokos or the Conception of St. Anne ( as it's known in the East) much like their Eastern Orthodox brethren do, and so on, and so on.

quote:
And are there not other significant differences in doctrine between east and West And are there not other significant differences in doctrine between east and West...
Not among Catholics. Not between Eastern and Western Catholics. That's why we are in communion with each other. That's why we are all in communion with the Pope. That's why I can receive Holy Communion at a Ukrainian Catholic or Ethiopian Catholic church and even join those parishes if I wanted to.

Between Catholics and Eastern Orthodox perhaps there are differences but how significant they are is open to discussion. Some people think they can be reconciled, others think they can't but that's between Catholics and Eastern Orthodox and another thread. On this thread you are asking about Catholics.

quote:
...that lead to a difference in worship?
The differences in worship are between Rites. Those Rites color the way a Catholic expresses his Catholic faith. A Byzantine Catholic inherits an expression of the Christian faith that took form in Constantinople and will approach and express his faith that way. I, a Latin Catholic, have inherited an expression of the Christian faith that took form in ancient Rome and I express and approach my faith in that particular way.

Even then there will be some broad similarities in the way we worship because we are both inheritors of the ancient Christians and they way they prayed and worshiped in Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria, Rome, and Constantinople.

quote:
I guess the same thought could come up with Anglican Uniates and Rome. I mean some Anglcian churches have been aloud to carry on their Book of Common Prayer services - but what about their Calendars? They too wont have some of the biggie RC solemnities
There was already a thread here about the Ordinariates a while back. Maybe you can search here or in Limbo for it.

1. Again, be careful of the word 'uniates'. I haven't seen any Anglican Use Catholics in the U.S. or people interested in the Ordinariates use that word for themselves. Usually, it's polite to use what people wish to be called.

2. The difference between the Eastern Catholics and the members of the Anglican Ordinariates, however they'll be called, is that Eastern Catholics are Eastern Catholics. The new Anglican Use Catholics (or however they'll call themselves) are and will be Western Catholics, Catholics of the Latin Church with their own ordinariates.

Whatever forms of worship the new ordinariates will use, it will be considered a variation (or Use) of the Roman Rite because the forms of worship used by Anglicans are derived by the traditions of worship in England which were variants of the Roman Rite.

3. It's up to them to decide how that's going to be but it hasn't been decided yet. Search for the older thread for some ideas of how it's going to be.

quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
quote:

There was already a thread here about the Ordinariates a while back. Maybe you can search here or in Limbo for it.
The Book of Divine Worship (here, large pdf) does not deprive Anglican Rite Roman Catholics of any Solemnities. In fact, it does not use the BCP79 calendar, but rather a Roman Catholic calendar.

This is natural, however, because the BCP79 (from which the BDW originates) is meant to fit within a 3-year lectionary system anyway. Might as well use the Roman Catholic Lectionary for Mass.

Posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd) (# 12163) on :

If you take everything on board from this thread Eddy I suspect all you'll be seeing is trees, trees and more trees.

May I suggest you purchase a copy of Fr Robin Gibbons excellent recent CTS Explanations pamphlet 'The Eastern Churches: Understanding the Eastern Christian Churches'? Robin aka Dr Gibbons is an English Melkite priest of real learning.

One of the great things about Eastern Catholicism is that it is as Catholic as the Latin Rite but is not carrying the donkey load of Scholastic Philosophy on its back.

Rites and histories vary.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

The issues here are fascinating. The various churches are in communion with the Pope, and the link with him seems to me to parallel the unity of the various Orthodox churches through the communion each bishop has with the others. In many ways, this goes back to the earliest days of the Church, perhaps extending forward to the anathemas of 1054. The churches in each location were in one sense independent, but linked through the communion of the bishops (sound familiar?).

Now, I appreciate that some of these churches, such as the Ukranian Catholic, did not exist in 1054, but what happened to those which did when the anathemas went flying? Did they remain in communion with Byzantium, or how did the communion cease? If it ceased, did it somehow revive upon the revocations?

The liturgy aspect is also extremely interesting. Madame and I find the sursum corda very moving, it being perhaps the only portion of the liturgy (apart from the Our Father) still common to both Eastern and Western Christianity - and by Eastern, I include those churches as far East as India, which trace their establishment back to St Thomas,as well as the Ethiopian church. It is a real indication of our ultimate unity beyond the differences which separate many of our day to day dealings.

Finally, there has been a reference to the ethos of the individual churches being discussed. In many ways, this parallels the discussions in the Anglican Churches about acceptance of the offer of the Ordinariate. Like many others, I suspect, we are happy to honour the Pope as Patriarch of the West, as we do the other Patriarchs. But we still have our Anglican ethos, and prefer to honour them from that position.

I am not an eastern rite Catholic,but I do not think that Eastern rite Catholics necessarily want 'the biggies of the RC solemnities'.It's just not the way they think.they want the 'biggies of the Byzantine rite' if that is the rite through which their liturgical life is expressed.
Most rites celebrate these 'biggies' with liturgies of the day.I don't think there is any other way one can put it.

The Ukrainian church here in Edinburgh,uses liturgically the Julian calendar,which means that they celebrate the Birth of Christ on 7th January. The feasts of the Easter cycle are celebrated on the same days as the Eastern church which often varies from that of the Western church. The Assumption is celebrated on 15th August ,BUT that is not the 15th August of the Gregorian calendar.

In course of time some but not all of the Ukrainians have become integrated into the Latin rite,but Christmas and Easter are very special feasts which are celebrated on the traditional Ukrainian days.

In very broad terms the Ukrainian Catholic church came into being as a rite of the Catholic church ,when the Polish-Lithuanian state took over administartion of the area.I think it was by the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk in the 1500s that the bishops of that area found it politically (and possibly also religiously) expedient to declaree that there was no real doctrinal difference between their communities and those directly under Roman discipline.As their lands became part of a 'Roman Catholic' state and they were 'unified' politically with the Polish Lithuanian state they became 'unified' also religiously with the Polish Lithuanian state.YThat is why in essence the word 'Uniate' is not seen as a helpful term.

Of course in later times the 'Uniate' churches laso saw a political (and religious) expedient in distinguishing themselves (by Roman protection) from their bigger Russian brothers.

This is much simplified,but I think I have mentioned here certain key elements of the history of the Ukrainian Catholic church with its Byzantine rite.

Nowadays we tend to see Poland as a country which has been dominated by its more powerful neighbours,but at one time Poland was a powerful state in Eastern europe.After the disappearance of Poland from the map the are was taken over by Austria,also a Roman Catholic power.Again the Eastern rite Catholics were integrated into the Habsburg state.

Without going into all the details it's not too politically surprising if after the Second world War and the domination of the Soviet Union in the areas known as Western Ukraine,the Ukrainian Catholic church was 'dissolved' and more or less re-incorporated into Orthodoxy.With the demise of the Soviet Union it has re-emerged within these territories.Like many other religious questions it is a very difficult mix of culture,history,religion,politics,sense of self worth etc.etc.etc.

I dont know a lot about the East Churches. But I think some are not in communion with each other because of the difference in how they see Our Lord. But am I right that these churches have a Catholic version as well.

Now here I guess the liturgy changes in the Catholic version of the church, to avoid heresy.

I am goin to do so web searching and see if I can find out more and come back on this one.

[ 25. April 2010, 22:35: Message edited by: Eddy ]

The Treaty of Brest-Litovsk was in 1918, not the 15th Century.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

May I point out that no Eastern Catholic Church is in communion with the Pope (or the Holy Father). They are in communion with the Catholic Church (Roman Catholic Church) of which each pope is a temporary and temporal head.

Point taken PeteC, wherever you are now. Any thoughts on the balance of my post. I appreciate that churches such as the Ukranian Catholic are not exactly popular with their Orthodox neighbours, but what about the Melkites, and others in that ancient group. Are they in communion with both Rome and Constantinople?

An Sir Pellinore , any idea where in Sydney I might get a copy of the pamphlet you refer to, please?

I doubt very much that any of the Eastern-Rite Catholic Churches can be in communion with both Rome and Orthodoxy. There are some which are not in communion with either, and a few which are in communion with the Anglican Communion. There are two churches here in Kerala which are in communion with the Catholic Church. These two, along with the Latin-Rite churches here (the Roman Catholic church) are the ones that I attend here, as is convenient to me. These two rites share a common mother-tongue and often join for major festivals (Christmas and Easter, e.g.) and social occasions. Membership may mingle as people move about, as it is much more convenient to attend a closer church than one a mile or two off, especially as transportation is usually by walking.

The flow chart at the end of this article may help unravel confusion.

Confused about the term Uniate. It is used all the time by the few Eastern Catholics with whom I'm in regular correspondence. That's how they refer to themselves - either that or "those of us in the Unia". Clearly the business of it seeing it as pejorative is not universal among Eastern Catholics.

Sorry,mousethief, for the mistake about the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk.I meant the Synod and Union of Brest in 1595-6.The Wikipedia article on this gives a good account of the various political and religious problems of the time.
It is really much the same with the churches of the Western Reformation where, political,cultural,linguistic as well as religious difficulties led to the setting up of the national churches of the Reformation.Both sides (Catholic and Protestant)portrayed the Reformation as a purely religious movement and both sides claimed to be right and the others wrong. Nowadays most people are able to see the Western Reformation more objectively and I suppose it should be much the same in the East.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Isn't via media Latin for "the ones that dither"?

[Razz]

(I feel a change of signature coming on!)

Thanks Pete C . I was (and remain) curious about the status of such as the Melkites when the anathemas were revoked. And sooner or later, relationships with the Copts and othere pre-Chalcedonians will have to be addressed - esp as many Coptic theologians are now attributing the break to a misudertanding/mistranslation. (I have used "break") as a non-judgmental and non-theological term.)

Posted by multipara (# 2918) on :

Interestingly, none of the Ukrainian Catholics that I know have a problem with the adjective "uniate" even of they prefer Byzantine Catholic".

As for Melkites, a colleague of mine was baptised in that tradition and her husband is Antiochan Orthodox ( better than committing incest and marrying one of her Melkite first cousins as she put it} and despite all the talk she and her mob are firmly in the Pope's camp despite being part of the Melkite Eparchy

m

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
May I point out that no Eastern Catholic Church is in communion with the Pope (or the Holy Father). They are in communion with the Catholic Church (Roman Catholic Church) of which each pope is a temporary and temporal head.

I hope that this is not too much of a tangent, but I would disagree with your statement - at least at first thoughts.

They are in communion with the Bishop of Rome - a person - not an entity. It is the fact that they are in communion with that specific person that makes them in communion with the Catholic Church.

Posted by ostiarius (# 13726) on :

Based on this construct, it seems to me that Communion is severed every time a Pope enters into his after-life. Would new Articles of Union be required with every change in Pontiff? Just wondering.

quote:
Originally posted by ostiarius:
Based on this construct, it seems to me that Communion is severed every time a Pope enters into his after-life. Would new Articles of Union be required with every change in Pontiff? Just wondering.

No. Communion continues with each successor of Peter.

This book may be of use to you, Eddy:

Instruction for Applying the Liturgical Prescriptions of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches (big pdf)

Straight from the horse's mouth (in this case the horse being the Congregation for the Oriental Churches).

[ 26. April 2010, 22:12: Message edited by: Martin L ]

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

To be pedantic I think the modern view is that both Eastern and Western Rite Catholics are equally Catholic and in communion with the Holy See.

Cardinal Walter Kaspar referred to this as the Church 'breathing with both lungs'.

In any genuinely catholic Church, neither East (where it all started) nor West can be ignored or undervalued.

The Pope could come from either East or Western Rite: the office is not restricted to members of the Western Rite.

If an Eastern Rite bishop (say a Ukrainian) became Pope it would certainly be quite a sign to all Eastern Rite Catholic churches, many of which have grievously suffered under Communism or Islam.

A Ukrainian as Pope may not bring much joy in Moscow.

Eastern Rite churches, thanks to recent proactive papal intervention, are beginning to stand up for themselves in the Anglophone world and not allow themselves or their members to be sat on by local Latin Rite bishops or priests e.g. chrismated children being refused communion. The Australian Catholic Bishops Conference recently issued clear guidelines on this.

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):
Eastern Rite churches, thanks to recent proactive papal intervention, are beginning to stand up for themselves in the Anglophone world and not allow themselves or their members to be sat on by local Latin Rite bishops or priests e.g. chrismated children being refused communion. The Australian Catholic Bishops Conference recently issued clear guidelines on this.

I imagine this may potentially cause some awkwardness when Eastern Rite children communicate in Latin churches. 'Mummy, how come they can have communion and I can't?' Then this isn't the fault of the Eastern Rite people and, in my opinion, merely serves to highlight the mess of delaying communion by years, (and confirmation, for that matter).

It is no drama. I have been to plenty of first communions and confirmations where the (mostly) Maronite and Melkite kids turn up for a blessing. The Ukies are largely diluted these days; it was my generation that tended to worship apart but not now.

We are better socialised these days in multicultural Oz.

m

quote:
quote:

I imagine this may potentially cause some awkwardness when Eastern Rite children communicate in Latin churches. 'Mummy, how come they can have communion and I can't?' Then this isn't the fault of the Eastern Rite people and, in my opinion, merely serves to highlight the mess of delaying communion by years, (and confirmation, for that matter).
Agreed.

If I understand Multipara's post correctly to mean chrismated Eastern Rite Catholic kids do not receive communion at Latin Rite masses it only highlights the point.

How can one lot of children be full members of the church from birth and others only have 'probationary licences'?

I would wish we Anglicans chrismated at birth.

Another good thing about Eastern Rite Catholics is that they are now much more assertive in ordaining married men as priests in the West.

Yet Latin Rite spokespeople still confute the priesthood and celibacy.

[Disappointed]

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

...noting that any in-depth discussion of non-liturgical differences such as Closure of Communion and Infant Baptism would be more suitable for Purgatory or DH rather than these hallowed halls...

dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

*hostly alert probably not necessary*

No Sir P, I wasn't going anywhere near closed communion.

Chrismated kids generally don't seem to receive communion at a Western Rite Mass until their Western Rite peers do, more by convention than anything else. They all want to tog up on First communion Day, though!

m

I agree with multipara's clarification; it is certainly the way I understood her original post.

And that practice is common in India, AFAICS. Once a young person receives first communion, he/she no longer sits with the boys/girls, but with the men/women.

[ 28. April 2010, 07:14: Message edited by: PeteC ]

Multipara, you may be interested in this quote from Dr Andrew Kania - an Australian Ukrainian Greek Catholic and currently Director of Religious Education at Aquinas College Perth on the ignorance the average Australian often has of the simplest piece of Eastern Liturgy, the making of the sign of the cross:

The year is 1977, the scene, a Catholic Boys School in Western Australia. A Year Six (11 years of age) class in Religious Education is coming to its close, as with another school day. To conclude the class, the teacher, a devout Latin Catholic asks her pupils to stand and say a final prayer. As the teacher initiates the sign of the cross, she stops the class and draws their attention to one of the boys, who in her words: “Has crossed himself the wrong way!” Bringing the child to the front she asks him to repeat his indiscretion. Seeing a chance to instruct the entire class further, the teacher poses the question: “Can any person in this class see what this silly boy is doing wrong?” To which 30 hands respond in answer. Grabbing the pupil by the right arm the teacher proceeds to correct the boy, who resists. Vigorous laughter ensues. Stating that she will not dismiss the class until the recalcitrant has shown to everyone that he has learnt his lesson the teacher forces the boy’s hand open (which had been positioned with three fingers joined together, representing the Holy Trinity in Byzantine formulae), and draws on him the sign of the cross – left shoulder first then to the right. The boy in this story became in time the author of the article before you, and the sad event took place nearly two hundred years after the first Eastern Christian, a Ukrainian, came to Australia on the First Fleet in 1788. (See: Clark1962, p. 94)

As an adult I was exposed to even more examples of the lack of catholic understanding of the Church by many Roman Rite Catholics.

Knowledge and tolerance are a two way thing.

Andrew's articles are on the Australian Catholic Ukrainian website.

http://www.catholicukes.org.au/tiki-index.php?page=Dr+Andrew+Kania%27s+Articles

Sir P, in my view (such as it is) Andrew K does have the inclination to beat the Ukie Catholic drum a bit too often for my liking; I've read more than a few of his articles in Catholica.com.au and his style irritates me not a little. For all the ill-educated (probably lay) RE teachers in WA who hadn't been told about the Orthodox way for making the sign of the Cross back in those benighted days (yes, 1977 ) there'd be plenty who would not have batted an eyelid.

just my 2 bob's worth,

m

Fair enough, multipara.

I suspect there are Catholics like yourself (intelligent, well educated and cosmopolitan) and twits like the schoolteacher.

Alas, twits will always be with us.

Posted by Young fogey (# 5317) on :

Yes, the Byzantine/Greek Catholic and Orthodox liturgies are supposed to be alike and as otyetsfoma said, the tiny Russian Greek Catholic Church (now really small groups of convert non-Russians not in Russia) obeys that. Few other Greek Catholics do.

(The Russian Greek Catholics: 100 years ago some Russian intellectuals converted themselves to Rome so the Pope set up this church to try to convert the rest of the Russian Orthodox.)

Today the strategy is corporate reunion, bringing whole churches under Rome, so Rome doesn't use the Greek Catholics to snag individual conversions but it accepts them of course, quietly.

When you know the rite and the cultures you can tell which is which. Lots of Ukrainian Catholics for example have long disobeyed Rome and latinised themselves with both old (statues, devotions such as the rosary) and new things (modern English language; the Ruthenians, the Ukes' Slav cousins, seem headed in that direction).

It's hard to describe but a lot of their churches feel like modern but relatively conservative Roman Catholic ones but with a few different externals. Some feel like nice (IMO) old-fashioned RC churches.

As the story from Australia says there's been a lot of ignorance and thus pressure from the majority Roman Riters adding to the latinisation. It also caused two schisms in the US when heavy-handedness from the Irish bishops (getting Rome to ban ordaining married men) made some Eastern Slav immigrants go to the Russians; most Russian Orthodox there, like in The Deer Hunter, are their descendants and originally not from Russia.

The Greek Catholics weren't supposed to add the filioque but did and now some are taking it back out. (Interestingly the official Greek version of the Creed in the RCC doesn't have it.)

Yes, the word 'Uniate' is out in knowledgeable religious discussions but in 25 years of knowing these people, specifically Ukrainian Catholics, I'd say you can call them anything but Russian Orthodox.

The Soviets banning their church in their home, the territory of Galicia not the whole Ukraine, with only the Orthodox church legal, adds to that. The story of the underground Ukrainian Catholic Church in those years, resurfacing to everybody's surprise in the late 1980s, is moving and heroic.

I'd say only converts to Greek Catholicism (from the Roman Rite etc.) call themselves 'Orthodox in communion with Rome'. A vocal minority online deny RC defined doctrine yet are Greek Catholics. Again Rome agrees with the OicwRs liturgically but...

Eastern Catholics do have to sign onto all RC defined doctrine.

Of course the online Orthodoxen may say better than me but I'd say the Orthodox run on a smidgen of doctrine ('Creed, Jesus is true God and true man, Mother of God and icons, and we're done') but lots of customs. When they say they don't believe in purgatory or the Immaculate Conception they mean they have no defined doctrine on those subjects, yet they pray for the dead and call Mary all-pure (customs such as the service books).

The Ukrainian Catholics used to use Slavonic like the Russian Orthodox (but with a different accent) until about 30 years ago and now use Ukrainian and local languages such as English.

Ukrainian Catholicism: a few Russianisms like the Cyrillic alphabet, onion domes, icons and married priests to show you're not Polish but tons of Polishisms like clean-shaven priests and statues to show you're not Russian. And they're not Russian: they were part of Poland (who didn't treat them well) from the 1300s until Stalin annexed them to the USSR in WWII. The rest of the Ukraine is Russian.

Dual communion is in theory not possible because of the rival one-true-church claims of the Orthodox and RCC but among Arabs in Syria and Lebanon (the Greek Catholics are the Melkite Church) it's long been so among the laity.

The case of the Assyrian anaphora is interesting and I have no objection to the lack of words of institution: it's Christendom's oldest rite still in use and the intent is obviously Catholic.

The coming RC ordinariates for ex-Anglo-Catholics aren't really a parallel to the Eastern Catholics because the people in them won't be having Book of Common Prayer or Common Worship services but cultural variants of the Roman Rite, for example like Roman Rite use in parts of the Church of England now. Also, the Eastern Catholic churches have their own bishops and canon law.

Using English isn't a Latinism. Sts. Cyril and Methodius translated the liturgy into the language of the people they were evangelizing; they didn't make them learn Greek. Using antiquated or dead languages in the service isn't some wonderful thing. It's stupid. Using English in a congregation whose primary language is English has nothing to do with Rome. One of the early saints of Alaska called for the liturgy to be translated into English well before Vatican II (sorry, can't remember which saint).

You copycats!

[ 01. May 2010, 02:49: Message edited by: mousethief ]

Had to have been Innocent. I believe he also commanded Nicholas of Japan to learn Japanese and translate the liturgy into Japanese.

I meant modern (contemporary, flat) English.

You mean the language that they actually speak. That's the one they should be allowed to worship in. We're not Pepys and Shakespeare. Sorry you don't like your own language. Kinda tough beans, huh?

quote:
Originally posted by Young fogey:
Of course the online Orthodoxen may say better than me but I'd say the Orthodox run on a smidgen of doctrine ('Creed, Jesus is true God and true man, Mother of God and icons, and we're done') but lots of customs. When they say they don't believe in purgatory or the Immaculate Conception they mean they have no defined doctrine on those subjects, yet they pray for the dead and call Mary all-pure (customs such as the service books).

Surely you must have realised as you were typing there was no way that was going to get past unchallenged. [Razz]

I wouldn't agree that we get by on a smidgin of doctrine, indeed that we "get by" on anything. We have our doctrine which we believe to be true. Just as some of it doesn't feature in other traditions so is something they don't have a defined position on and it would never occur to them to do so. I suppose the same is true of us where certain Roman Catholic teachings are concerned. However, in some cases, the objection is not simply that we kick up a fuss because we don't have a defined position on the particular subject ourselves but rather because of one or both of the possibilities that a) we see no reason to define such a thing and b) we see that the Roman Catholic definition conflicts with other elements of the Faith. Here is my attempt at explaining the latter of your examples.

That's all.

But mousethief, as you probably know the longstanding custom throughout Eastern Christianity is like English-speakers using Coverdale, Cranmer and King James, an archaic form of the language. Greeks use medićval Greek, not modern Greek; Russians and, until rather recently, Ukrainian Catholics, Slavonic, not Russian. And many Orthodox have always liked liturgical English; the Jordanville prayer book is written in it and the Antiochians still print the Hapgood service book (Isabel Hapgood, an Episcopalian who translated the Russian services about 100 years ago).

Eastern Catholics in English sound ICEL-ified, that is, a bit Novus Ordo-ey but with slightly better translations as the rites weren't radically revised and then paraphrased in the 1960s like the Roman. (Pope Benedict's new English version drops the paraphrase for translation; that problem's solved in the Roman Rite.)

Yes, Michael, I expected online Orthodox to challenge what I wrote.

quote:
But mousethief, as you probably know the longstanding custom throughout Eastern Christianity is like English-speakers using Coverdale, Cranmer and King James, an archaic form of the language. Greeks use medićval Greek, not modern Greek; Russians and, until rather recently, Ukrainian Catholics, Slavonic, not Russian. And many Orthodox have always liked liturgical English; the Jordanville prayer book is written in it and the Antiochians still print the Hapgood service book (Isabel Hapgood, an Episcopalian who translated the Russian services about 100 years ago).

All these things are bad. The gospel, and the services, should be in the language of the people. Dilettantes and Luddites shouldn't shove their dainty and selfish prejudices on the masses.

quote:
Yes, Michael, I expected online Orthodox to challenge what I wrote.

Young Fogey, forgive me for asking but are you using online Orthodox in a particular way? Your repetition of it made me wonder. I only ask because it is reminiscent of a disparaging phrase I have encountered in the past but I realise that you may simply be referring to Orthodox people who happen to be online.

mousethief, you're entitled to your opinion.

Michael, one can read either meaning of online Orthodox but that doesn't mean you're one of the bad ones.

quote:
mousethief, you're entitled to your opinion.

[Roll Eyes]

quote:
Michael, one can read either meaning of online Orthodox but that doesn't mean you're one of the bad ones.

Thank you for responding.

Posted by Think˛ (# 1984) on :

Dial down the snark, eccolytes, and if you want to get personal take it to hell please.

Eccles Host

Some Orthodox use English for their liturgies do the Eastern Catholic versions of those Eastern Orthodox use English as well?

I cant quite understand the Holy Father's position in Eastern Catholic churches. Is he the top bishop - the Pope - as in the West, or is he a patriarch among others? If its the first one then shouldnt he sometimes offer the Eastern catholic liturgy?

If the diocese of Rome is a Roman rite diocese (and it is) then it is only right that the bishop should celebrate according to the Roman rite.
On important occasions at papal Masses there are Byzantine rite priests who will chant the Gospel in Greek.
The present pope tried to adapt the pallium to an earlier and more Byzantine form.In time it was found to be impractical (I think) and he has reverted to a more Latin style pallium,though still a little different from the normal pallium granted by the pope to major archbishops.

Eddy, the question about English has already been answered, on this page even.

quote:
Originally posted by multipara:
*hostly alert probably not necessary*

No Sir P, I wasn't going anywhere near closed communion.

Chrismated kids generally don't seem to receive communion at a Western Rite Mass until their Western Rite peers do, more by convention than anything else. They all want to tog up on First communion Day, though!

m

If the parents are aware of their rights, they can complain to the bishop when this happens. In fact, Rome has published a letter about this very subject. Although most priests now days are better educated concerning the Eastern Catholic Churches, there are still a few who try to refuse Easter Catholic infants and children Communion, contrary to the law.

quote:
If the diocese of Rome is a Roman rite diocese (and it is) then it is only right that the bishop should celebrate according to the Roman rite.
On important occasions at papal Masses there are Byzantine rite priests who will chant the Gospel in Greek.
The present pope tried to adapt the pallium to an earlier and more Byzantine form.In time it was found to be impractical (I think) and he has reverted to a more Latin style pallium,though still a little different from the normal pallium granted by the pope to major archbishops.

Are you saying the Pope should never celebrate anything but the Roman Rite, Forthview, of just when he is in Rome. I mean to say yes he is the Bishop of Rome but he is more than that as well he is the Pope. I think it would be nice if he had the imagination to celebrate in an Eastern Rite when say visiting one of their churches, after all he is there Pope.

teddybear, these parents aren't that precious.

m

The pope has his position in the Universal Church by virtue of his office as bishop of Rome.
I wouldn't necessarily expect Byzantine rite bishops to celebrate in the Roman rite when in Rome and wouldn't expect the bishop of rome to celebrate in another rite.
What is important is the mutual recognition of the other rites as authentic expressions of the liturgy.
On a practical level I don't htink that a celebrant can just learn how to celebrate in another rite overnight.

But don't Eastern and Western Rite priests/bishops sometimes concelebrate in each other's Rites? The very limited experience I have with such things would seem to indicate that the principal celebrant would be a priest/bishop of the Rite being celebrated. So the Pope could join in concelebrating an Eastern Rite or perhaps simply be present in choir?

I seem to recall a televised papal mass from Rome many years ago: at the gospel an eastern rite deacon (from Grottaferrata I guess) chanted the gospel in greek with all the byzantine extras -sophia orthoi etcetera, but the rite was roman.

quote:
Originally posted by otyetsfoma:
I seem to recall a televised papal mass from Rome many years ago: at the gospel an eastern rite deacon (from Grottaferrata I guess) chanted the gospel in greek with all the byzantine extras -sophia orthoi etcetera, but the rite was roman.

In recent times, it is customary to do this on Maundy Thursday, if I recall correctly. I know I've seen JP2 and Ben do this on TV.

The practice is quite a bit older.

quote:
But don't Eastern and Western Rite priests/bishops sometimes concelebrate in each other's Rites? The very limited experience I have with such things would seem to indicate that the principal celebrant would be a priest/bishop of the Rite being celebrated. [/QB]
Yes...this happens quite often. At the ordination or installation of RC bishops, it is common for the Eastern Rite bishops of the local area to be present and concelebrating.

At St. Peter's Basilica, particularly in the last years of the JP2 pontificate, Cardinal Daoud was seated and concelebrated with the other cardinal-bishops (he being given that status as an Eastern patriarch-cardinal). Occasionally he would end up praying part of the Canon.

See 6:20 here, the funeral Mass of John Paul 2, in which [Eastern Rite] Cardinal Sfeir leads the Communicantes.

Liturgies need building to suit them and it seems to me that Eastern orthodox liturgies have different church space than Western ones. They are decorated different too and have different furniture.

So I wonder just how an Eastern Catholic liturgy fares in St Peters Rome. Then I wonder if the Eastern Catholic churches are different inside to their sister Eastern orthodox ones. Maybe they have a wider range of icons and saints.

Posted by Oblatus (# 6278) on :

quote:
So I wonder just how an Eastern Catholic liturgy fares in St Peters Rome. Then I wonder if the Eastern Catholic churches are different inside to their sister Eastern orthodox ones. Maybe they have a wider range of icons and saints.

I've seen photos of some Eastern Catholic churches that have altars similar to Roman Catholic high altars ("wedding-cake" style) but perhaps with more and different items, and no ikonostasis between nave and sanctuary.

quote:
Liturgies need building to suit them and it seems to me that Eastern orthodox liturgies have different church space than Western ones. They are decorated different too and have different furniture.

Mass on Day 7 of the Novendiales was celebrated in St. Peter's by Cardinal Sfeir, in a west-facing manner. In appearance, it looked like an Ordinary Form mass, with the chairs in front of the altar, then removed for the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

I know that the Orthodox have a big thing about beards for their ministers. Is this the same in the Catholic Eastern churches as well?

Are there any elements of Western Catholic tradition - e.g. the hymn, that have crept into the eastern Catholic ways or do they try to keep themselves pure>

quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
I've seen photos of some Eastern Catholic churches that have altars similar to Roman Catholic high altars ("wedding-cake" style) but perhaps with more and different items, and no ikonostasis between nave and sanctuary.

I think a lot has to do with where it is in the world and local history. There were times and places where Eastern Catholics wanted to emphasise their Catholic identity more and so they often sought to resemble their Latin Rite brethren. Now there are times and places where Eastern Catholics want to empasize their native Eastern identity and so seek to strengthen the Eastern appearance of the their churches. I've seen pictures of Eastern Catholic churches that 50 or 60 years ago had those wedding-cake style altars and no iconostasis but nowadays have an iconostasis and whose churches are much more Eastern (specifically Byzantine) in style.

Then again, I've seen pictures of Syrian Orthodox and Armenian Orthodox churches that to me resemble traditional Latin Rite churches as the altars have gradines that rise up to a picture, almost in "wedding-cake" style.

quote:
Confused about the term Uniate. It is used all the time by the few Eastern Catholics with whom I'm in regular correspondence. That's how they refer to themselves - either that or "those of us in the Unia". Clearly the business of it seeing it as pejorative is not universal among Eastern Catholics.

quote:
Originally posted by multipara:
Interestingly, none of the Ukrainian Catholics that I know have a problem with the adjective "uniate" even of they prefer Byzantine Catholic".
m

Michael Astley is in the U.K and multipara is in Australia. It's in the U.S. where "uniate" is a term not liked by some people because the history of Eastern Catholics in this country has sometimes been unhappy and led to tensions in neighborhoods and families. Don't be surprised if the term is used freely elsewhere, but also don't be surprised if you get a talking-to in the U.S.

I could have sworn Pope John Paul II celebrated or at least presided over a Divine Liturgy in Ukraine but maybe I'm imagining it? I definitely know that I've seen pictures of Bishop Sheen in Byzantine vestments and that he celebrated the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.

There's an article on the role the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Parma is playing in Bishop Sheen's cause for sainthood here.

It's primarily Orthodox of Russian heritage (or whose churches are of Russian heritage even if they're whitebread western Europeans) who wear beards. It was a big thing to wear beards for all men in Tsarist Russia. Making men shave off their beards was a big thing for Peter the Great, who wanted Russia to become France East. It was greatly resented.

quote:
I know that the Orthodox have a big thing about beards for their ministers. Is this the same in the Catholic Eastern churches as well?

Are there any elements of Western Catholic tradition - e.g. the hymn, that have crept into the eastern Catholic ways or do they try to keep themselves pure>

The Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgy that I attended last year (actually in a church under the authority of +Parma, mentioned in the previous post) had pews, and they also had a sermon right after the Gospel reading. I'm not sure if this is an unusual place or not for a sermon in an Eastern Rite liturgy, but for some reason I didn't expect one there. The pews were quite unexpected.

Thank you for that report Martin L.

I did wonder if there are differences or assimilation. Can you possibly point to an interior view of that church?

I thought the Eastern churches didnt really go in for sermons, but maybe found in the west they do.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
quote:

The Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgy that I attended last year (actually in a church under the authority of +Parma, mentioned in the previous post) had pews, and they also had a sermon right after the Gospel reading. I'm not sure if this is an unusual place or not for a sermon in an Eastern Rite liturgy, but for some reason I didn't expect one there. The pews were quite unexpected.
That's the proper place for a sermon if there is to be one, and is where it is usually found in the Greek church. However, the custom developed in the Slavic tradition of preaching near the end of the Liturgy, either during the communion of the clergy or after the communion of the people (after the Prayer Below the Ambo, to be specific). It is often said that this came about so that the people could still hear the sermon despite their excessive tardiness. How true this is, I don't know. At my parish, the sermon usually follows the Gospel.

In what sense,, Michael the 'proper place' - because thats where the books say it has to be, like the Missal does?

It would seem from what you are saying that in fact Eastern Catholics and Eastern orthodox may have agreement on this one. But it would be interesting to know if the Eastern Catholic churches ever put the sermon near the end.

quote:
At my parish, the sermon usually follows the Gospel.

This is the case for every Orthodox church I've worshipped in.

Eddy, Greek O. churches in the US very often have pews, organs, and stained glass. Some have hymnals. These are all western accretions. As are dog collars and clean-shaven priests (in the Russian heritage churches, anyway).

Ah! Thank you mousethief. I thought those accretions were maybe just Eastern Catholic.

I wonder though whether Eastern Orthodox churches have devotion to our Lady of Fatima? Here is an Eastern Catholic church with a Shrine to Our Lady of Fatima.

I've never seen an EO church with a devotion to any of the "Our Lady Of..." incarnations (so to speak) of the Virgin Mary. Not saying there can't be any; it's just outside of my experience. I'd look at EO churches in Mexico -- O.L. of Guadalupe is pretty big down there! Actually I don't know that. But she seems to be pretty up here with people of Mexican descent. You won't find a Mexican restaurant in this area that doesn't have an icon or painting of OLoG near the front door. I've seen some painted and fired tile images that were pretty impressive. I've also seen several icons -- or at least paintings -- of St Martin of Tours, although I don't know why.

I think the ROCOR cathedral in New York is Our Lady of the Sign, but that might be a paraphrase rather than a direct translation of the Russian. I don't know.

I'm still looking for an Our Lady of the Three Hands parish church or monastery. There must be one somewhere. Although it might have been destroyed by the atheists -- I mean Soviets -- during the Russian Revolution.

Yes, Our Lady of Guadalupe is extremely big in Mexico and among Mexicans everywhere because she is the Patroness, Queen and Mother of all Mexicans and we are fiercely devoted to her. St. Martin of Tours pops up at Mexican restaurants because he is also very popular in Mexico and in Latin America in general. He is known as San Martín Caballero. The word caballero can mean knight , horseman , or gentleman and alludes to him having been in the Roman army. He is usually shown in a scene from a famous legend of his, a Roman soldier astride his horse and giving part of his cloak to a beggar, as in this painting by El Greco . A more typical painting on this page. Some people consider him a protector or patron of (and lucky for) businesses which is also why you might see him at a lot of restaurants.

Too late to edit but that link to the El Greco doesn't work now. Anyways, just google El Greco and Martin of Tours and you'll see what I meant.

quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
He is usually shown in a scene from a famous legend of his, a Roman soldier astride his horse and giving part of his cloak to a beggar, as in this painting by El Greco .

Yes, that's how I knew it was him: I know that story from a book of saints. Thanks for the info! I'm afraid Americans know far too little about their immediate neighbours.

Posted by MSHB (# 9228) on :

quote:
In what sense,, Michael the 'proper place' - because thats where the books say it has to be, like the Missal does?

Even in the 2nd century, according to St Justin Martyr (died about 165 AD), a typical Sunday eucharist had the sermon immediately after the readings. The shape of the eucharist in ca. 150AD is recognisably the same broad shape as it is 1,860 years later.

quote:
In his First Apology St Justin Martyr wrote:
On Sunday we have a common assembly of all our members, whether they live in the city or the outlying districts. The recollections of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as there is time. When the reader has finished, the president of the assembly speaks to us; he urges everyone to imitate the examples of virtue we have heard in the readings. Then we all stand up together and pray. (my emphasis).
Link

[replaced long URL text that was causing page format problems]

[ 11. May 2010, 11:46: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Posted by MSHB (# 9228) on :

PS: St Justin Martyr was not trying to introduce something new, he was describing the normal practice of the church in order to de-mystify the Church in the eyes of the Roman authorities. His "Sunday eucharist" was no innovation.

So this pattern of the eucharist probably goes back much further, making it extant either in the time of the Apostles, or at least their immediate successors and disciples (like St Polycarp, who as a young man knew St John the Apostle, and was still alive in the mid second century).

So, having the sermon straight after the readings is most likely either apostolic or "sub-apostolic" practice.

My point about 'Our Lady of Fatima' Eastern Catholic church was not about 'Our Lady of...' titles in Eastern Orthodox churches, but more about 'Our Lady of...(a leading Western Catholic shrine)...'. I'd thought that it would be unusual to have say, a Greek Orthodox Church dedicated in honor of 'Our Lady of Lourdes.'

That then would be something Eastern Catholics may do but not Eastern Orthodox.

Such a dedication or shrine would bring with it a particular emphasis on Our Lady which may not be found in orthodoxy.

quote:
I think the ROCOR cathedral in New York is Our Lady of the Sign, but that might be a paraphrase rather than a direct translation of the Russian. I don't know.

In Russian it is called The Mother of God of the Sign [Znamenia Bozhie Matere]. She is referred to frequently in the liturgy as Our Lady [Vladychitsa nasha]

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

Is there a significant Eastern Catholic presence in the UK? (Apologies if this question has already been answered).

Slight tangent... someone mentioned Western-looking 'wedding cake' altars. Last Sunday I was in the Armenian Patriarchate church in Istanbul, which certainly had one. The whole church looked rather like a baroque-i-fied Wren church (think St Magnus the Martyr, with fewer statues). The Liturgy was seriously weird though (by Western standards: I'm not being disparaging) and interminable, so I left soon after what appeared to have been the Gospel. Otherwise I might have MWd it.

Regarding the Eastern Catholic calendar (and Eastern Orthodox calendar): I assume both keep Ascension as a feast day? On the proper Thursday after their Easter? Do either move it to a Sunday as is the fashion now among Roman Rite dioceses?

I can't speak for the Eastern Catholics. The Orthodox celebrate Ascension as one of the Twelve Great Feasts, 40 days (always a Thursday) after Easter. We don't move festivals to Sundays. The only moving to speak of gets done when the Annunciation (a fixed feast) falls on one of the moveable feasts/fasts of Lent or Holy Week or Pascha. And that's so complicated I'm content to let the bigwigs figure it out.

quote:
My point about 'Our Lady of Fatima' Eastern Catholic church was not about 'Our Lady of...' titles in Eastern Orthodox churches, but more about 'Our Lady of...(a leading Western Catholic shrine)...'. I'd thought that it would be unusual to have say, a Greek Orthodox Church dedicated in honor of 'Our Lady of Lourdes.'

That's what I was referring to (hence my example of Guadalupe). I didn't even realize that the "Our Lady Of" wording was used with Orthodox churches.

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
The Liturgy was seriously weird though (by Western standards: I'm not being disparaging) and interminable, so I left soon after what appeared to have been the Gospel. Otherwise I might have MWd it.

See, this is just a bad witness. We already think you guys are spiritual lightweights. You just can't go around confirming our suspicions like this! [Razz] [Biased]

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

quote:
We already think you guys are spiritual lightweights.

True. 'Not high church, nor low church, but short church.' © +Mervyn Stockwood.

Posted by malik3000 (# 11437) on :

quote:
I can't speak for the Eastern Catholics. The Orthodox celebrate Ascension as one of the Twelve Great Feasts, 40 days (always a Thursday) after Easter. We don't move festivals to Sundays. The only moving to speak of gets done when the Annunciation (a fixed feast) falls on one of the moveable feasts/fasts of Lent or Holy Week or Pascha. And that's so complicated I'm content to let the bigwigs figure it out.

I thought that if 2 feasts fell on the same day (e.g. Annunciation and Easter) the Orthodox celebrated them both on the same day.

Mostly true. But if the Annunciation falls in Holy Week, especially Good Friday, all Hell breaks loose.

The liturgy of the Eastern Catholic Church described here says the Eastern Catholic church uses:

quote:
the oldest liturgy in the Christian Church: the Liturgy of Saint James the Apostle, historically referred to as the Liturgy of Mar Mari and Mar Addai. It contains three different Canons which are utilised during the yearly calendar
Does this relate to Orthodox Eastern tradition as well?

Thank you for that clarification, Otyets Foma. I'm sure

quote:
Mostly true. But if the Annunciation falls in Holy Week, especially Good Friday, all Hell breaks loose.

There is a relatively new additional volume to The Order of Divine Services detailing how to construct the services for various Saints and feasts throughout the year in some considerable detail. For all of the days it includes that can possibly fall in the season of the Triodion or the Pentecostarion, this volume also gives the variations that would apply in each case. It really is meticulous. I note with a smile that any mention of the Annunciation is entirely absent from the book. I can only imagine that the compilers probably took one look at it and gave up before they even started. [Smile]

My memory suggests, though, that malik3000 is right about the Annunciation not being transferred (it coincided with Holy Saturday 2 or 3 yers ago and I have a translation of a very lovely reflection written by Fr Sergei Bulgakov for when it collides with Great Friday). The complexities come more from practical questions of how to combine it with the moveable observances.

Thats interesting Michael Astley but I've not got how it relates to Eastern Catholic Liturgy. Are you saying this is what eastern Catholics do as well.

The Italo - Albanian Catholic Church from what I can understand seems to be Eastern Catholic but is their a Italo-Albanian Orthodox church?
It seems from the article that this church is in Communion with the Holy Father, in many places uses the Western Missal and also allows married clergy.

This is where I red about it.

quote:
The liturgy of the Eastern Catholic Church described here says the Eastern Catholic church uses:

Eddy,
you linked to a church that is not an Eastern Catholic Church. That is, you haven't linked to a church in communion with the See of Rome. See here (my bold):
quote:
Throughout its long history, the Church has remained orthodox and patriarchal (in its worship, ecclesiastical form of government, polity, etc. not Papal (not under the jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic Church , the Patriarch of the West in Rome). This jurisdiction remains autocephalous (self-governing) to this day.

In 1902, the Metropolitan of India, with the encouragement of the Anglican Church missionaries from England, desired to bring this ancient church heritage into the west. A metropolitan was consecrated to do so. Through these efforts, in 1934, the Eastern Catholic Church came to these United States in the ministry of His Beatitude, Metropolitan Dr. Mar David of Edessa, O.H.S. (nee: Seine Durchlaucht, Prinz Stanislaus, Graf von Czernowitz). The present Metropolitan is His Beatitude, Metropolitan Dr. Mar Mikhael of Edessa, O.S.J. (Seine Durchlaucht, Fürst Heinrich XXVI Reuß).

Please point it out if I missed something but there doesn't appear to be any indication on that site that they are in communion with the Pope and all the other Eastern Catholic Churches.

The website has some information on their metropolitan here , and their metropolitan has a homepage here . Readers can judge for themselves, but don't take what is on those websites as reliable sources for information on Eastern Churches in communion with Rome.

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

quote:

But, this Annunciation-Good Friday concurrence is one that all you New Calendarists will never see.

[ 08. May 2010, 23:57: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Donne saw it. But then he was on the old calendar, wasn't he?

The Greek catholic church in Italy has a long history (chiesa italo-greca) going back to settlers who came from the other side of the Adriatic to settle in the country and give it ultimately its name (Italy - which is connected to a Greek word referring to bovine creatures -just as one of the southern areas is called Calabria and one is able to see the influence of the word which in English has become 'calf')

There has always been the possibility for these communities to worship in the Byzantine rite which they would have brought with them over 1000 years ago.

The Italo Greek dioceses are immediately subject to the Holy See and are not subject to the disciplines of the Latin rite bishoprics. They are organized into three dioceses Grottaferrata ,Lungo Calabria and Piana degli Albanesi ( and yes in certain circumstances the priests are allowed to marry)

As well as these dioceses not of the Roman rite,there is the section of Northern Italy around Milan which uses the Ambrosian rite.

Posted by Josephine (# 3899) on :

quote:
( and yes in certain circumstances the priests are allowed to marry)

Do you mean that priests are allowed to marry? Or that married men may be made priests? It's not the same thing. In the Orthodox Church, married men can become priests, but priests are not allowed to marry.

I don't really get it with this 'Greek Catholic Church in Italy'. Like the Eastern Catholic churches have an Orthodox parallel is the parallel of this one the Greek orthodox church or what? It cant be because dont the Greek Catholics have there own Patriarch - and Forthview says these ones relate direct to the Holy Father.

It seems v strange to me;

They are in Italy, they can use the Western rite, their priests can marry.

So can there be another RC church in a town using the Western rite but their priests can't marry.

How can the faithful tell them apart.

quote:
I don't really get it with this 'Greek Catholic Church in Italy'. Like the Eastern Catholic churches have an Orthodox parallel is the parallel of this one the Greek orthodox church or what?

Not every Eastern Catholic Church has an Eastern Orthodox counterpart. For example, the Maronites do not have an Eastern Orthodox counterpart.

Read this page about the Italo-Albanian Catholics

quote:
It cant be because dont the Greek Catholics have there own Patriarch
Not every Eastern Catholic church has it's own Patriarch. Some might be under a Metropolitan, for instance.

quote:
and Forthview says these ones relate direct to the Holy Father.
From the page I linked above:
quote:
Southern Italy and Sicily had a strong connection with Greece in antiquity and for many centuries there was a large Greek-speaking population there. In the early centuries of the Christian era, although most of the Christians were of the Byzantine tradition, the area was included in the Roman Patriarchate, and a gradual but incomplete process of latinization began.
quote:
It seems v strange to me;

They are in Italy, they can use the Western rite, their priests can marry.

So can there be another RC church in a town using the Western rite but their priests can't marry.

Read the page I linked to above.

quote:
How can the faithful tell them apart.
I imagine it's easy because those churches have been there for centuries. They'll hear Latin at one and Greek at the other.The local townfolk will know which one is the Latin church and which one is the Byzantine church.

You should really read this page and all the links on the right under "Table of Contents"

The Eastern Christian Churches - A Brief Survey

[Attempted to repair broken scroll lock. Mamacita, Host]

[ 10. May 2010, 17:27: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

I should have thought that in England for example most people interested in these things would easily recognise the difference between a Methodist church and a Baptist church,for example.There are even those,I think, who can easily recognise the difference between a High Anglican church and a low Anglican church.

When I take Italians to a Church of Scotland they often ask me (that is of course those who are interested ) Che rito e ? (What rite is followed here ?) Even Italians not particularly interested in religion - the great majority - know that there are different rites which are used in the Church.

quote:
When I take Italians to a Church of Scotland they often ask me (that is of course those who are interested ) Che rito e ? (What rite is followed here ?) Even Italians not particularly interested in religion - the great majority - know that there are different rites which are used in the Church.

Sensible question.

The Kirk - certainly at places like St Giles, Edinburgh - seems to be much 'Higher', at least in regard to decoration, than it was in John Knox's time.

I wonder if the average Latin Catholic could get a handle on the bare simplicity of much Church of Scotland worship?

Of course they could understand it intellectually but I think they might feel it lacked emotional life, warmth and colour.

Pancho , very many thanks for that link, which I have bookmarked. It is fascinating how many of these churches have survived over centuries of oppression - and in the case of the Syro-Malabari Church, isolation almost from the foundation.

quote:
I wonder if the average Latin Catholic could get a handle on the bare simplicity of much Church of Scotland worship?

A Catholic Mass can be quite plain and simple, and in the case of Italy it very often is. I'm not sure about the liturgy at St. Giles, but if it follows a standard Western pattern I would anticipate that the average Italian tourist would find it quite familiar to a simple parish church in Italy, but quite more musically-appealing, and quite a bit longer!

My own Lutheran church has more elaborate liturgy than the Roman Catholic Church, IMHO. We end up singing offertory verses, and up until recently we almost always sang a post-communion canticle (such as Nunc Dimittis). It is also relatively rare for Lutheran churches to do the Psalm cheat--with the people only saying/singing a refrain. Typically we all participate in the verses in one way or another.

[ 12. May 2010, 18:20: Message edited by: Martin L ]

I wouldn't call the responsorial psalm a "cheat". I believe that's how psalms were often sung in early centuries and why this was revived after Vatican II.

There's ceremony and ritual but there's also text and content. One service can be longer and have better and more elaborate music but at the same-time the prayers are broader and less specific about beliefs. Another service can be plain and without music but at the same time more definite and specific about beliefs.

It seems to me that in the Eastern Churches ceremonial and content go hand in hand while in the West they are not as tied together.

quote:
quote:

A Catholic Mass can be quite plain and simple, and in the case of Italy it very often is. I'm not sure about the liturgy at St. Giles, but if it follows a standard Western pattern I would anticipate that the average Italian tourist would find it quite familiar to a simple parish church in Italy, but quite more musically-appealing, and quite a bit longer!

My own Lutheran church has more elaborate liturgy than the Roman Catholic Church, IMHO. We end up singing offertory verses, and up until recently we almost always sang a post-communion canticle (such as Nunc Dimittis). It is also relatively rare for Lutheran churches to do the Psalm cheat--with the people only saying/singing a refrain. Typically we all participate in the verses in one way or another.

There are places like the Cathedral in Milan where they do a good Ambrosian Rite (the indigenous one).

Italians have feeling and a sense of drama. Scots, well middle class Edinburgh ones from places like Colinton & Morningside, tend to be somewhat 'emotionally restrained' (That's putting it politely! [Big Grin] ) and are very much into preaching (sometimes overlong).

Personally I have had no contact with Lutheran liturgy (I once knew a beautiful girl from Aachen, though, but this is definitely not the place [Big Grin] ).

Seriously, John Foster, a beloved and sadly departed university tutor, whose field was Modern German History, told me (bear in mind we are talking late 1960s/early 1970s here) that there was what he called 'a sort of High Church Lutheranism which was very much like Low Church Anglicanism). The traditional Low Church Anglicans (pretty much extinct in Oz & the US of A I believe) were into very measured ceremonial (a bit like German pietists).

Bear in mind we were traditionally an English culture with heavy Irish overtones. Our Lutherans were primarily of German origin. I think many in the USA were of Scandinavian descent. So you would know everything and I nothing of Lutheran worship in the USA and so am grateful for what you said.

I also suspect American Lutheranism, like American Anglicanism, has changed from that in its countries of origin.

American Methodism seems 'higher church' than Oz/British Uniting Church/Methodism.

I went once to the High Kirk of St Giles in Edinburgh with an Italian friend.She said afterwards 'that was just like a Catholic Mass'
Of course there were for the 'conoscenti'many differences but the average Italian,even those who go to church regularly ,are not interested in liturgical minutiae.

St Giles and another Edinburgh church ,St Cuthbert's,for the good burghers of Colinton and
Morningside,are not typical church of Scotland 'kirks' but they are still part of the Church of Scotland.

I like St John's in Perth,cradle of the Reformation,where John Knox encouraged the parishioners to destroy all evidence of idolatry. It looks today in some ways,more Catholic than an average Catholic church.

Thanks for your elucidating comments, Forthview.

The Kirk seems to have moved more towards liturgy, ornamentation &c since the grand old days of John Knox & Jenny Geddes. [Big Grin]

Scottish comedians always have a field day with sending up the posh Colinton accent. It is, of course, only a small segment of Edinburgh society who speak this way.

My first Headmaster was a Scot educated at Glenlmond College in Perth. Most Scots & others in the know find it amazing that many Fettesians, OGs and similar speak with an accent which would be more appropriate in the Home Counties than Edinburgh or Perth and Kinross.

I rather like the Scottish Episcopal Church which combines being genuinely 'High' and sensibly progressive.

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:

Slight tangent... someone mentioned Western-looking 'wedding cake' altars. Last Sunday I was in the Armenian Patriarchate church in Istanbul, which certainly had one. The whole church looked rather like a baroque-i-fied Wren church (think St Magnus the Martyr, with fewer statues). The Liturgy was seriously weird though (by Western standards: I'm not being disparaging) and interminable, so I left soon after what appeared to have been the Gospel. Otherwise I might have MWd it.

The Armenians are an extremely proud and independent people who were the first nation to embrace Christianity (somewhere in the 4th Century AD/'CE').

They are Oriental Orthodox and also have a Catholic offshoot.

Because they broke with Constantinople very early their liturgy has developed a life of its own.

Fascinating people.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
I don't know if there has been a pope yet who could speak Syriac or Aramaic let alone use them liturgically.

I'd imagine there have been several. If you subscribe to the strange theory that Simon Peter was the first Pope you can start with him [Biased] Probably none for over 1500 years or so though.

And of course there is always Pope Shenouda, and his predecessors to consider. It's far too easy to forget the churches east of Rome...

I have had the pleasure to read a book (Calmness) by HH Pope Shenouda III and it was fabulous. I'm admittedly no expert in holiness but this book gave me the impression that he is indeed a very holy man.

quote:
I have had the pleasure to read a book (Calmness) by HH Pope Shenouda III and it was fabulous. I'm admittedly no expert in holiness but this book gave me the impression that he is indeed a very holy man.

Also an extremely brave one. Being the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch in Egypt would require guts.

The Coptic church I understand isn't an official Orthodox church. Some of its teachings are different.

But then I read they use the same liturgy as the Greek orthodox, so maybe they ain't that different.

In the Coptic Catholic church are the teaching differences ironed out to make it more in line with the RCs?

quote:
From the font of all knowledge and wisdom:
Despite the potentially confusing nomenclature (Oriental meaning eastern), Oriental Orthodox churches are distinct from those that are collectively referred to as the Eastern Orthodox Church. The Oriental Orthodox communion comprises six groups: Syriac Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox, Eritrean Orthodox, Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (India) and Armenian Apostolic churches.[2] These six churches, while being in communion with each other, are hierarchically independent.

quote:
From Encyclopedia Coptica:
There are three main Liturgies in the Coptic Church: The Liturgy according to Saint Basil, Bishop of Caesarea; The Liturgy according to Saint Gregory of Nazianzus, Bishop of Constantinople; and The Liturgy according to Saint Cyril I, the 24th Pope of the Coptic Church. The bulk of Saint Cyril's Liturgy is from the one that Saint Mark used (in Greek) in the first century. It was memorized by the Bishops and priests of the church till it was translated into the Coptic Language by Saint Cyril. Today, these three Liturgies, with some added sections (e.g. the intercessions), are still in use; the Liturgy of Saint Basil is the one most commonly used in the Coptic Orthodox Church.

The Orthodox primarily use the Liturgy of St John Chyrosostom, although we also use St Basil's Liturgy at certain points throughout the church year (most particularly throughout Lent).

It's interesting to note, though, just how very different are the liturgies that both communions of churches refer to as that of St Basil - they are barely recognisable as the same thing. It just goes to show how different what we know today - in both traditions - is from what would have been known to those immediately after St Basil, as these things have developed over 1700 years and no doubt been influenced by other rites and doctrinal questions along the way.

Eddy:

quote:
The Coptic church I understand isn't an official Orthodox church. Some of its teachings are different.
Read the link Pancho provided. It is a fascinating guide to churches outside the Western tradition.

You're right, Sir Pell, about Pope Shenouda's courage. He combines it with dedication to ecumenicism, and that would not be very popular with the Egyptian authorities - too open to the outside for them.

In the case of the Eastern Catholic Churches (those in Communion with the Holy Father), do they use the same rites as their equivalent Orthodox or Oriental church.

So in that fascinating bit Mousethief quotes about the Coptic Orthodox church is the Eastern Catholic church using the same three liturgies in that way?

Churches, of cause, are not just about liturgy. I guess, but have no real knowledge on this, that the Eastern Catholics and eastern Orthodox may differ on some ethical or moral teaching, as I guess the Orthodox Church and the RC Church are not always eye to eye on these things.

quote:
In the case of the Eastern Catholic Churches (those in Communion with the Holy Father), do they use the same rites as their equivalent Orthodox or Oriental church.

So in that fascinating bit Mousethief quotes about the Coptic Orthodox church is the Eastern Catholic church using the same three liturgies in that way?

Churches, of cause, are not just about liturgy. I guess, but have no real knowledge on this, that the Eastern Catholics and eastern Orthodox may differ on some ethical or moral teaching, as I guess the Orthodox Church and the RC Church are not always eye to eye on these things.

You already asked these questions on the first post of this thread and you were given answers a number of times, including posts by Manipled Mutineer here , Mousethief here and here , Teddybear here and here , Forthview here , and myself here and here . Other shipmates must have answered as well.

Have you read the link I gave above , originally given by Teddybear on this thread and recommended by Gee D?

Pancho, thank you for taking the time and effort to reply to my last posting, but I think you haven't quite grasped what I was wondering.

I know the Eastern Catholic churches use the same liturgies that has been made clear. However, Mousethief pointed out the variety in the Coptic Orthodox church - how they use three different forms, with differing frequency, and one form was learned until it was written down.

What I wondered is whether or not the Coptic Catholic churches used those same liturgies in the same way - that is in the balance and the same frequency as the Coptic Orthodox churches.
Maybe its not possible to know this from people here.

I suspect, but I don't know, that the Eastern catholic churches may have a different geographical distribution to there Orthodox equivalents and so contact and knowledge of each other may not always be great.

I think your question about the Copts was essentially answered when it was explained that Eastern Catholics more or less worship the same way as their Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox counterparts do. So if the Coptic Orthodox use their liturgies a certain way the Coptic Catholics probably do as well. The only way to be absolutely sure is to visit a Coptic Catholic Church.

I believe you are mistaken in your last paragraph. Eastern Catholics and their counterparts often share the same territory.

p.s. again, if you would just read that link.....

[ 19. May 2010, 22:15: Message edited by: Pancho ]

Thank you Pancho, for that. I did suspect that it would be difficult to get the low down on whether the Coptic Catholics use the liturgies in the same way.

This Coptic Church is the Evangelical Coptic Church, and the mind boggles...just as their are Eastern Catholic versions of the Orthodox churches are their Protestant / Evangelical equivalents as well.

This is an Armenian Evangelical Church. And here too.

quote:
Thank you Pancho, for that. I did suspect that it would be difficult to get the low down on whether the Coptic Catholics use the liturgies in the same way.[/URL]

Actually it's not difficult at all to get the low down. We've given it to you on this thread. What you're asking is similar to someone asking about the frequency certain eucharistic prayers get used at Latin Rite churches. It tends to to the more random obscure stuff. If you're sincerely interested you can directly contact an Eastern Catholic Church to satisfy your curiosity. That's not difficult either. I present to you:

The Unofficial Directory to Maronite and Byzantine Catholic Links Based in the UK

If I, half way around the world, was able to find this with a quick search then the reader wonders why you aren't able to do so. I'm positive London is home to at least a few Eastern Catholics.

By the way, did you finish reading that link I gave above?

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

quote:
Thank you Pancho, for that. I did suspect that it would be difficult to get the low down on whether the Coptic Catholics use the liturgies in the same way.

This Coptic Church is the Evangelical Coptic Church, and the mind boggles...just as their are Eastern Catholic versions of the Orthodox churches are their Protestant / Evangelical equivalents as well.

This is an Armenian Evangelical Church. And here too.

By and large, the answer is a qualified no. In the countries of the former USSR, there are now a variety of denominations in addition to the small Russian Baptist church, which originated in Saint Petersburg in the latter part of Alexander III's reign. In the Arab world there is, of course, the Anglican dioceses of Jerusalem and Egypt as well as the mainly Lebanese Presbyterian church, founded by US Presbyterian missionaries from the ancient Christian churches.

I only know some Arab & Armenian evans, and they do not see themselves as that connected or parallel to their Orthodox/Oriental Orthodox counterparts, in the same way which the Eastern Catholic/Orthodox churches do.

There were for some years Ukrainian-speaking Byzantine-rite congregations of the United Church of Canada and the Presbyterian Church of Canada, a now-expired phenomenon about which little has been written.

With respect to an earlier observation on the Italo-Greek Byzantine church, there is no rationale for them to merge into the Latin RCs in Italy on the basis that they are in Italy, a western catholic country-- we need to remember that the Italo-Greeks preceded Italy's existence by a good millennium. The Patriarchate of the West always included them in their structure-- it is an interesting case of a particular church in the bosom of another particular church.

Rather than reading about the EC/EO reality, Eddy would be advised to attend their liturgies, perhaps a Ukrainian Catholic congregation for a few weeks, followed by attending a Ukrainian Orthodox services for a couple of Sundays, and then reflecting on the similarities and differences of the experience. I really think that Eddy might find this a useful experience.

Of course, there are always the Georgian Baptists - referred to a couple of years ago on the board - who mix Baptist theology and episcopal strucure. There is a site which shows prelates dressed as if in the most ancient of Eastern vestments, more ceremonial than the Pope celebrating on Easter Sunday, and of amazing colours and textures. Look them up, Eddy, via Google.

© Ship of Fools 2016