Thread: Hell: Well Hooray. Guardian Readers Will Tell Me How To Vote Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001035

Posted by MadFarmer (# 2940) on :

http://guardian.assets.digivault.co.uk/clark_county/

They're having people write to voters living in Clark County. I live in its next-door neighbor, Greene, and if anything, I can tell you that we Ohioans are about fed up with the whole world breathing down our necks about how we'll vote.

+ side of living in a swing state: Got to see Springsteen and Bright Eyes for fairly cheap.

- side of living in a swing state: British people are now telling us how to vote.

[Disappointed]

[ 02. April 2005, 05:40: Message edited by: RooK ]

Posted by KenWritez (# 3238) on :

MEMO

TO: Guardian Readers Telling Americans For Whom to Vote
DATE: Nov 2 2004
RE: Guardian article
===============================

Fuck off.

--America

Posted by AdamPater (# 4431) on :

You want to get a hair-cut, KenWritez... and maybe consider some new shoes.

quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
MEMO

Fuck off.

--America

Posted by Bea Ond (# 8322) on :

Arrrggg! This is such a bad idea. If there is anything that could get an undecided to vote for Bush is a Britt telling him to vote for Kerry.
I understand how they feel. I am a Canadian, I am watching all this, I am concerned, I have my own opinions about it all, but I know it is none of my business. If some American tried to tell me who to vote for in a Canadian election, I would scream bloody murder.

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

Maybe it would go over better if the Guardian referred to it as "Regime Change".

I hope not.

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

I'm just grateful they didn't target New Hampshire. Bad enough having to worry about running into a presidential motorcade when you're just trying to get to the grocery store.

(Though it might be fun to see if the Guardian would make the same mistake as most of the campaign computers seem to do, and assume that my husband is married to my daughter (I have a different last name, so I don't show up in between them on the voter checklist, which only has a couple of thousand names on it).)

Posted by Leetle Masha (# 8209) on :

Hush, Jennifer! Remember the voting machines in Florida!

I am grateful to the British for trying to help us, but we are (imho) beyond help.

Posted by Kyralessa (# 4568) on :

I read this myself earlier today. At first I was annoyed by it, but that soon faded into amusement at picturing all those Guardian staffers telling each other what a great idea this is to write and try to convince Americans how to vote. Cause for sure the number one thing I think about when I go to the polls is "How will my dear neighbors in the U.K., and the rest of the world for that matter, take the results of this election? How can I vote so as to impress them the most?"
[Killing me]

When are the next Brit elections, by the way? Cause I have this great idea...

Posted by Sir George Grey. (# 2643) on :

Strewth.
First I thought this was going to be a thread about the Manchester Guardian telling everyone to vote LibDem.

Then I thought it must be about some rednecked local rag telling everyone to vote Bush on pain of being impaled on horns of 'Kissinger', the local prize bull.

Wrong again..

Posted by Sioni Sais. (# 5713) on :

FAO Americans

The Guardian is so well-known for its rich crop of literals* (typos) that there is a chance that this will result in a show of support for Bash or Merry. Or even Wader, if he's on the ballot there.

*In Private Eye and elsewhere it is often referred to as "The Grauniad". It got its own name wrong once.

Posted by Zwingli (# 4438) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kyralessa:
I read this myself earlier today. At first I was annoyed by it, but that soon faded into amusement at picturing all those Guardian staffers telling each other what a great idea this is to write and try to convince Americans how to vote. Cause for sure the number one thing I think about when I go to the polls is "How will my dear neighbors in the U.K., and the rest of the world for that matter, take the results of this election? How can I vote so as to impress them the most?"
[Killing me]

Dear British voter,

The government of the UK has a profound influence on many peoples throughout the world, yet only Britons can affect who is in power there. Hence, on behalf of the rest of the world, I would like you to consider our interests when voting. In particular, please vote for a party which will remove the UK from the EU and increase non- EU immigration into the UK. Since the 1960s and 70s, the UK has mercilessly reduced ties with its former colonies, abandoning people it had previously conquered, and abandoning the descendents of British emigrants who helped build your empire. The destruction of trade ties has hurt many of the world's poorest nations, while cutting immigration has stopped many from moving to the country their ancestors originally came from. Please vote for a party who will end these blatant pro-Europe, anti- Commonwealth policies,

Yours faithfully,
a concerned Australian.

ps. should you happen to read the Guardian please stop it is full of shite.

Posted by wesleyswig (# 5436) on :

Well I am going to take the "concerned abroad person" approach and write a letter!
I shall post it up here and see if I elicite a response.

I shall write along the lines of.....
The Gruaniad newspaper set up a system where we could write to voters in America
I thought I would write to you and share my thoughts
Spill out my thoughts
Explain that I don't worry who you vote for, so long as they get out and vote!
Also, I would finish by saying I look forward to hearing from them.....
Then sign of in my usual happy jolly way

That said, I better get someone to read my spelling.

I think that if I recieved that letter I would be fine.

What would have to be explained is this is very much "Gruaniad" sense of humour - and I find it funny and also engaging.

Intreged to see such a violent response against it though.

Oooh - just to say .... The Guardian asked all to vote Lib Dem in Hartlepool by election although they still support the Blair reigime.

Many Regards As Ever
John

Posted by wesleyswig (# 5436) on :

Just to say...again....

I won't be entering my letter to win the competition though......will cost too much as you have to pay for everything bar airfare and basic accomodation....thus taxes, visas, food etc.

MAke sure you all read the small print!

Many Regards
John

Posted by GeordieDownSouth (# 4100) on :

quote:
Originally posted by wesleyswig:
Oooh - just to say .... The Guardian asked all to vote Lib Dem in Hartlepool by election although they still support the Blair reigime.

Did they? Why?

Posted by anglicanrascal (# 3412) on :

I would just like to say that I am horrified by the insularity of the Shipmates who seem to think that people in the Colonies will take umbrage at Guardian-readers telling them how to vote.

Wot's the point of having an Empire if one can't control it to one's liking?

Posted by GreyFace (# 4682) on :

This does raise a serious question. Should we vote in our own interests, in the interests of the rest of our country, or in the interests of the rest of the world?

The annoying thing for me if I received a letter such as Zwinglis, would be the implication that I hadn't considered the issues he raises, not that an Australian would be asking me to consider his interests when I vote.

This is of course redeemed by his excellent if poorly punctuated postscript:

quote:
ps. should you happen to read the Guardian please stop it is full of shite.

Posted by Callan. (# 525) on :

It could be worse, people.

It could have been Le Monde.

Posted by Lurker (# 1384) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kyralessa:

Most Brits know what the two main parties in America are, and a majority of those who read broadsheet newspapers will know who the main candidates are, and what they stand for.

I can just see a campaign going the other way

"Write to people in Britain"

"But who'll translate it into whatever language they speak there?"

Posted by Moth (# 2589) on :

Dear People of America.

Please vote for George W. Bush. Go on, you know you want to.

A concerned (but slightly craftier than usual [Biased] ) Guardian Reader.

Thankyou.

p.s. I now know that Aussies run UKIP, so that solves that little mystery.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Moth:

What mystery? Maybe, why UKIP seem to be composed of a bunch of criminals?

Posted by Cheesy* (# 3330) on :

Dear American Person,

I am writing to you on the offchance that you are a completely brainless idiot who cannot make a political decision to save your life.

We Brits are world renound for our independance of thought and ability to make sound judgements on the issues of the day. Therefore you should sit down and pay attention.

There are two small boys. We'll call one Bill and the other Ben. Now Bill and Ben are like most other adults and will do anything to avoid doing their job (ie running the country and passing legislation, respectively). At the moment, they have decided to have a battle.

Now Bill is currently holding a nice shiny new rattle and Ben says it is his. Ben's claim on the rattle is based on a strong moral stance and sense that he could shake it much more convincingly. Bill is the Devil. Therefore, the British nation is telling you that you must vote for Ben otherwise we will send the boys round. That's right, if you vote the wrong way, you're getting Jack Straw and John 'two-jags' Prescott.

Now, I'm sure you appreciate that the future of the planet rests on you using your democratic vote and doing as you are told. It isn't that we actually like you or anything, but hey, you influence election in South America, so now its our turn.

And remember, if you do this wrong, you'll have to keep going back until you get it right. We'll be watching.

Your friendly guardian reader.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

What mystery? Maybe, why UKIP seem to be composed of a bunch of criminals?
[Snigger]

We're coming back to haunt you. Never again will sending convicts to the other side of the world seem like a good idea.

Posted by Barabas (# 8632) on :

Americans are obviously free to vote for whoever they choose but it's worth noting that Bush in his latest head to head with Kerry said (and I quote)"I can't tell you how much I belive in freedom". Consider how the last US election was rigged with many Florida residents denied the very freedom that Mr Bush seems to cherish, it does'nt seem unreasonable for the outside world to try bring an element of balance. After, this was America has been doing with Zimbabwe for the same reason!

Posted by Atmospheric Skull (# 4513) on :

quote:
Fuck off.

Jesus. It's perfectly simple -- if you don't want primitive foreign people from outside your sacred borders passing comment on your politics, then STOP ELECTING LEADERS WHO WANT TO FUCK ABOUT WITH THE REST OF THE WORLD.

(Oh, and not calling yourselves protectors of democracy or banging on about freedom of speech all the time would help you look less conflicted, also.)

Just some friendly advice from your allies across the seas.

I've just noticed that my last post has certain words either not fully typed in or missed out completey!

This is very embarrassing because it reads like a George Bush speech [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Wesley S Chappell (# 4186) on :

I thought 'Guardian' readers were opposed to Britain meddling in the affairs of its former colonies - surely that's elitist and imperialist?

[Killing me]

Posted by Erin (# 2) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Atmospheric Skull:
quote:
Fuck off.

Jesus. It's perfectly simple -- if you don't want primitive foreign people from outside your sacred borders passing comment on your politics, then STOP ELECTING LEADERS WHO WANT TO FUCK ABOUT WITH THE REST OF THE WORLD.

(Oh, and not calling yourselves protectors of democracy or banging on about freedom of speech all the time would help you look less conflicted, also.)

Just some friendly advice from your allies across the seas.

I don't really care if you primitive foreigners pass comment. I do mind a trash "newspaper" encouraging its mentally deficient readers to spam people half way across the world.

[ 14. October 2004, 13:33: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posted by strathclydezero (# 180) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I don't really care if you primitive foreigners pass comment. I do mind a trash "newspaper" encouraging its mentally deficient readers to spam people half way across the world.

The probability of finding a good English newpaper editorial policy is slimmer than Calista Flockhart.

Posted by Gambit (# 766) on :

quote:
I do mind a trash "newspaper" encouraging its mentally deficient readers to spam people half way across the world.

Erin, if you belive this is what the Guardian is doing then I encourage you to take it to court. As I am sure you know, sending spam from a computer based in Britain is now illegal under the laws of this country.

(If only the States would do the same, maybe I would stop receiving offers to enlarge my breasts, although, I suppose, it's something I could try)

[ 14. October 2004, 13:47: Message edited by: Gambit ]

Posted by HangerQueen (# 6914) on :

Ah, I wondered how long it would take before our cousins across the Pond noticed this one [Big Grin] .

I prefer the idea of sending a huge wad of dosh to the NAACP - but I'm skint at the moment [Frown]

Seriously, though, the President of the USA has an enormous influence on the world - you can't blame us for being concerned about who wins, 'specially since Britain is now reduced to the status of vassal state.

Posted by Wesley S Chappell (# 4186) on :

quote:
Originally posted by HangerQueen:
Ah, I wondered how long it would take before our cousins across the Pond noticed this one [Big Grin] .

I prefer the idea of sending a huge wad of dosh to the NAACP - but I'm skint at the moment [Frown]

Seriously, though, the President of the USA has an enormous influence on the world - you can't blame us for being concerned about who wins, 'specially since Britain is now reduced to the status of vassal state.

Agreed, but you must admit there is something hilarious about the readers of one of the lowest circulation newspapers of a 'vassal state' pompously writing to foreigners in a 'nanny knows best' style. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Ah well, that's OK then, since that explicitly isn't what's happening:
quote:
(We don't want individual Clark County voters bombarded with lobbying letters so this site will assign only one name and address to each user - please don't pass yours on to anyone else.)
Also, no email is involved -- just old-fashioned transatlantic post.

(Perhaps, though, you've become inextricably wedded to this straw man in some disturbing Wicker Man-style ceremony, and won't feel able to take mere facts on board.)

Strath

Hoots mon,

Do yer no ken that yer tattie wee Scotch pappers
are jest full o' anti-sasanach clap trap? [Razz]

quote:
quote:
Fuck off.

Hey, here's an idea! If we don't want primitive foreign people from outside our sacred borders telling us how to vote, why don't they fuck off?

Yes, I believe that is the correct answer: Fuck off. All of you.

Askull and Barabas, you have our permission to fuck off, and do so now.

quote:

No, it'd just make us all look more like you. No thanks.

Posted by lapsed heathen (# 4403) on :

Dear 'Merican
Vote for whom ever you like, it won't make any difference to us in TROTW, or you for that matter.
Yours indifferently.
tommy

Ken,

If we primitive foriengers did fuck off as you suggest, would you return the compliment by taking out all the military hardware you keep in our country (which is only there to bolster your overseas empire)?

quote:
quote:

Ah well, that's OK then, since that explicitly isn't what's happening:
quote:
(We don't want individual Clark County voters bombarded with lobbying letters so this site will assign only one name and address to each user - please don't pass yours on to anyone else.)
Also, no email is involved -- just old-fashioned transatlantic post.

(Perhaps, though, you've become inextricably wedded to this straw man in some disturbing Wicker Man-style ceremony, and won't feel able to take mere facts on board.)

Snail mail or e-mail, it's still unsolicited and junk. So get technical about the term spam, dickcheese, but it's the same regardless. I find it hilarious that all of the stupid tree-huggers are willing to kill some trees just to re-elect Bush.

I've sent this story to the local news media. Interesting to see what will happen.

Erin,

Please tell me that you were only joking when you said you were going to vote for that meglamaniac Bush? [Help]

Posted by IntellectByProxy (# 3185) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Barabas:
If we primitive foriengers did fuck off as you suggest, would you return the compliment by taking out all the military hardware you keep in our country (which is only there to bolster your overseas empire)?

And Amanda Jenkins, from our office, who is from Pennsylvania, and is fucking insufferable.

Ta.

Philadelphia's wealthies tend to be rather liberal in their politics, especially the ones who have trained themselves to speak with affected pseudo-British accents in order to better their positions in high society.

Looking or sounding British is a veritable social asset here, where Anglophilia is a social disease.

But I would suggest that if it's the "society vote" you're looking for, have readers of the _Times_ or the _Financial Times_ write your lobbying letters, and be sure to send them on cream-laid stationery, addressed by hand in the manner of the beloved lady on "Keeping Up Appearances". <my favourite comedy show in all the world, besides "To the Manor Born">

Penelope Keith for President!

Well, if it's people they're taking back, can they come and get one of my colleagues?

He is the rudest man I ever met, which I do not attribute to his nationality. However, I reckon he only lives over here because if he lived in an armed society he'd be dead by now!

I'll package him up and send him surface transport.

Posted by Jerry Boam (# 4551) on :

Dear Barabas and skullface,

Shut the fuck up.

And you especially, Barabas. Please don't pause to take your head out of your ass, just keep it up there until you run out of air. You will be doing us all a favor.

For fuck's sake! Until you had to spew your shit Mark the Punk and the Riv had a near monopoly on the deep end of the dumbass political bullshit hole, but you have outdone those dim bulbs. I didn't think it was possible.

You make ME want to vote for Bush...

If you don't like your participation in the empire, change your Satrap. Do not presume to address your betters on political subjects again.

And, yes, Erin and even the Riv are counted among your betters in these matters.

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley S Chappell:
quote:

Agreed, but you must admit there is something hilarious about the readers of one of the lowest circulation newspapers of a 'vassal state' pompously writing to foreigners in a 'nanny knows best' style. [Roll Eyes]
But being pompous cultural imperialists is what the Gruaniad does best!

Having read the article, the people who wrote it were well aware of the dangers of pissing off the good voters of Clark County. They were aware that it could be counterproductive but thought that the risk was worth taking. I'm of the opinion that writing an unsolicited letter to a complete stranger and talking about politics would be a recipie for disaster.

Jerry Boam,

I think it's time you got a sense of perspective.

Some 3000 people died on 9/11; a huge a mount of people! So many in fact that it amounts to almost one third of the innocent civilians killed in Iraq by America and their client states.

And you don't think the outside world should have a say in whether a man like Bush is returned to power? [Confused]

Posted by Zach82 (# 3208) on :

If fucking Euro-trash doesn't want Americans to vote for Bush, they should figure out ways to make us hate them less than we hate Bush. Europe isn't exactly making it clear why it's worth maintaining ties with it when it does arrogant, annoying bullshit like that.

And Barabas? You're a twit.

Zach

quote:
And you don't think the outside world should have a say in whether a man like Bush is returned to power? [Confused]

For crying out loud Barabas, no; we shouldn't be able to vote in American elections.

Why the fuck should we? If we vote in American elections then they get to vote in ours, and do you really want some nation geographically hundreds of miles away and culturally millions of miles away voting for a man who they only see on the news?

No?

Well neither do they, and to suggest that we ought to is insulting and degrading. Shut up.

Posted by Leprechaun (# 5408) on :

quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
And Amanda Jenkins, from our office, who is from Pennsylvania, and is fucking insufferable.

Ta.

But can you send back those nice Americans who came to my church last year? They were very friendly.
They are probably all Bush voters, and they are mostly in Ohio, so it will also help the Kerry campaign.

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

quote:
Jerry Boam,

Some 3000 people died on 9/11; a huge a mount of people! So many in fact that it amounts to almost one third of the innocent civilians killed in Iraq by America and their client states.

No. They need to keep catering to American interest like mine. Where is my beer? Go and fetch it and shut up. Thx. - Sgt. Queen Duchess

[you really need some education on your place, you are getting uppity. Kiss my @$$]

[ 14. October 2004, 15:24: Message edited by: duchess ]

quote:
Jerry Boam,

Let's see if I can answer in a rhetorical style that will be familiar and may get through the poor neural pathways in that shitbag on top of your neck:

Hydrogen and Helium sit way up at the top of the periodic table, while the actinide series is sort of in a class by itself down at the bottom. The United Kingdom has a large population! So large in fact that it can actually register in a comparison with the population of China, if you show enough significant digits. The concept of a left-right axis in politics stems from seating arrangements during the French revolution. Supermassive blue giant stars are relatively short lived and come to spectacular ends.

No, the outside world should not have a say in how Americans vote for their leadership. Some of us will note what is said about us with more less interest. All of us will be pissed off by being told how to vote.

Got that? Good.

Now fuck off.

Maybe I can paraphrase the argument of Barabas?

"I want Americans to vote in my best interest"

Presumably it follows he'll listen to the American people when it comes round to our election - then he can return the favour and vote in Americas best interest.

Doesn't that seem fair? Of course it's fair. Totally fucking stupid, but fair.

quote:

There is a process in place for you to have your say. It's called the citizenship process. If you're not willing to do that, then NO YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE A SAY in who the US elects.

Go fuck yourself.

quote:

I live in Britain and am a more-or-less humble web user and poster.

I have no say in whether George W Bush is elected on Nov 2nd nor in whether Barabas retains his posting rights on this board.

Believe me, I've got opinions on both issues, but there is nothing I can do about either; it isn't in my power.

Hey Barabas, how long before you reach Shipmate and we can take aim at these targets you draw all over yourself?

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais.:
Hey Barabas, how long before you reach Shipmate and we can take aim at these targets you draw all over yourself?

Why wait?

O God, I'm almost crying with laughter as I type this. Barabas, you and your ideological conjoined twin in stupidity have managed two things I didn't think I'd ever see: Alan using the word "fuck" in a post, and Jerry Boam and Zach agreeing politically.

Oh. Oh my! Excuse me, please, I have to go laugh some more!

quote:
Maybe I can paraphrase the argument of Barabas?

"I want Americans to vote in my best interest"

Presumably it follows he'll listen to the American people when it comes round to our election - then he can return the favour and vote in Americas best interest.

Doesn't that seem fair? Of course it's fair. Totally fucking stupid, but fair.

Alan, I am surprised!

You are normally a paragon of virtue on these boards, spreading informed common sense, rational perspective and disciplined thinking wherever you post...

But be honest, here--you just made that up. There is no argument in Barabas' words. You have taken the hodge podge of snide taunts and extraneous recitations of fact and sentiment that constitute his emissions here and imagined an argument that might lie behind them.

I know you mean well, but you should let him try to do it on his own. He may even be capable of it--scant evidence so far, I'll admit, but you never know if he'll sink or swim until the last air bubble rises.

Posted by Ophthalmos (# 3256) on :

I'd write a letter. Someone might change their mind and vote the right way. You can't argue that who the American president is doesn't affect the rest of the world.

I don't think I WOULD have a problem with Americans writing to tell me how to vote next year in the UK. You can just ignore them, just like you ignore anything else.

Anyway, I'm getting a US vote. Hopefully.

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Boam:
But be honest, here--you just made that up. There is no argument in Barabas' words. You have taken the hodge podge of snide taunts and extraneous recitations of fact and sentiment that constitute his emissions here and imagined an argument that might lie behind them.

Good point. I plead that I'm only human, and we do have a tendancy to look for patterns in random events - constellations if star distribution, pictures from clouds etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Ophthalmos:
I'd write a letter. Someone might change their mind and vote the right way. You can't argue that who the American president is doesn't affect the rest of the world.

I don't think I WOULD have a problem with Americans writing to tell me how to vote next year in the UK. You can just ignore them, just like you ignore anything else.

Anyway, I'm getting a US vote. Hopefully.

Just for you, I am voting for BUSH.

Fine. If you want to shaft everyone else as well as your own country, that's your prerogative.

quote:
I'd write a letter. Someone might change their mind and vote the right way.

This, of course, assumes there is a 'right' way and that it is plainly obvious to a Guardian reader if not to an American voter.

Do you have a Monster Raving Loony party in the US? I think we might have a candidate for the future.

C

Posted by The Undiscovered Country (# 4811) on :

quote:
MEMO

Fuck off.

--America

That's the US' mission statement isn't it?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by duchess:

This has to be a wind up!

Posted by The Riv (# 3553) on :

quote:
And, yes, Erin and even the Riv are counted among your betters in these matters.

Dearest Jerry, though I'm proud to be mentioned in the same breath with the venerable Erin, you may want to apologize to her. Oh, and thanks for the laugh.

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesy*:
This, of course, assumes there is a 'right' way and that it is plainly obvious to a Guardian reader if not to an American voter.

Sorry. The right way as I see it.

It is, as KenWritez giggles, an amusing shift of oeuvre.

By all means, use forums like this one to express opinions about anything on the globe. It's a great thing to do so. But for a media source to suggest and organize a peer-pressure style political propaganda is what nations at war do.

[Links arms with Jerry Boam and Zach82]
Aaaallll we are saaaaaayyy-iiinnnng...
Is fuck off and diiiiiiiieeeee.

[ 14. October 2004, 16:07: Message edited by: RooK ]

I don't see it as being a peer-pressure style political propaganda movement.

I see it as a way of voicing global concerns to the best audience.

I'm not going to write a letter. Too lazy and apathetic by half.

quote:
Originally posted by The Undiscovered Country:
quote:
MEMO

Fuck off.

--America

That's the US' mission statement isn't it?
Oh damn! Speaking as a member of the Vast American Fundamentalist Right-Wing Conspiracy to Dominate the Earth with Fast Food, Fire and Sword, I'm appalled we've been that transparent.

Clearly, secrecy is for shit around HQ here. Damn.

C'mon US, don't be so pompous. Where's the harm? Why shouldn't people in one country express views about another? If US voters take any notice its their own choice and their own fault.

I seem to remeber US politicians having plenty to say about Northern Ireland, even though it was none of their business.

[ 14. October 2004, 16:07: Message edited by: The Undiscovered Country ]

Too right.

Not to forget that Ken Bigley would probably be alive today if America had't stepped in stop it's puppet rulers from releasing a woman scientist.

quote:

Do you really think that a few people in one county of one state are the best audience? And, do you think sending unsolicited mail (aka spam) to people who probably don't care what Brits think anyway is a good method?

This is a partly political broadcast to the nations.

(You could...possibly, maybe) Vote United States National Offical Monster Raving Loony Party Candidate (USNOMRLP) Hollywood Dave.
quote:

Emergency Preparedness policy: In areas prone to hurricanes, the USNOMRLP proposes to form the Federal Approaching Hurricane Relief Team (FAHRT).
FAHRT will issue everyone living within one-half mile of a threatened coastal area with a personal fan (you know, the ones you can get in the dollar stores-they take two 1.5 volt batteries and you can slip them in your pocket).
When weather monitoring organizations announce the impending arrival of a hurricane, all FAHRT members in that area will line up along the beach and as the hurricane approaches, they will activate their fans. The resulting rush of wind will stop; the offending hurricane in it’s tracks and send it scurrying back from whence it came.

This message is brought to you in the name of balance by the British people. Never say we don't give you anything.

C

I'm not saying that it's illegal, or immoral, or anything else that is going to make the gloves come off.

I'm saying it's offensive in its rudeness. You may expect offensive rudeness in return, you arrogant shitheads.

quote:
Not to forget that Ken Bigley would probably be alive today if America had't stepped in stop it's puppet rulers from releasing a woman scientist.

I'm so sorry to hear about your braincell, bara. Maybe you'll get reunited with it next week, I hope so.

THEN YOU MIGHT START TALKING SENSE YOU GIBBERING IDIOT.

C

quote:

Bullshit.
I'm loudly against the war in Iraq (now that there's no WMD), but this claim is just plain stupid.

RooK - I'm all for arrogance and rudeness in return. We in Britain obviously know better about who the President of the USA should be. Care to have a go at our political system? I'm all ears. (Well, actually, I'm one, singular eye...perhaps eye should get a new avatar?)

quote:
quote:

Do you really think that a few people in one county of one state are the best audience? And, do you think sending unsolicited mail (aka spam) to people who probably don't care what Brits think anyway is a good method?
No, of course not. But unfortunately they haven't yet invented a way of transmitting directly into the entire population of a country's brainwaves.

Look, your country elects Bush's lapdog, so clearly you're not effective enough to influence the elections you CAN vote in. Once you get your own house in order then you are free to take a shot at ours.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:

Bullshit.
I'm loudly against the war in Iraq (now that there's no WMD), but this claim is just plain stupid.

They just dug up yet another grave full of dead Kurds the other day to use as evidence against Saddam (read off of google yesterday). Things are more complex than they seem.

Well, they're kind of both my houses...

I would categorise myself as British, but that doesn't mean I'm not American.

quote:
I seem to remeber US politicians having plenty to say about Northern Ireland, even though it was none of their business.

Oh yes, that's right! How could I forget that massive letter-writing campaign sponsored by the Boston Globe?

You, remember--the one which had Americans inundating UK citizens with Instructions to vote the tories out so that our puppet (Blair) could start doing his bit to further our global hegemony! Thatcher had megalomaniacal delusions of grandeur (thought she was an equal because she called him 'Ronnie') and the dull gray chap was completely incompetent in executing his orders from Washington.

A grand letter writing campaign and a successful one.

And how the English, Walish, and Scotties loved it! I wish I had a little treat for each of them! They can sit and roll over too!

If you want to vote in the US elections, have your government apply to Congress for statehood.

Wasn't Undiscovered Country talking about Clinton?

quote:
C'mon US, don't be so pompous. Where's the harm?

Harm? Who said anything about harm? How we vote is simply none of your business and you have zero right to tell us how to vote.

If you're all that hot and bothered about our leaders, then become a US citizen, and vote. Yes, I'm afraid this will mean involving yourself legitimately in our political system.

quote:
Why shouldn't people in one country express views about another?

No one here's said Britons can't or shouldn't express opinions about our leaders and our country. When you're at home or down the pub or on these boards or even standing on a soapbox in the park, express your opinions all you like.

Where Americans draw the line is foreign nationals telling us "Vote how we want you to." The Guardian is not stumping for Pres. Bush, either, so this translates to, "Vote for Kerry."

quote:
If US voters take any notice its their own choice and their own fault.

So you must believe I, and 270+ million other Americans, also have the right to tell you how to vote.

I believe we've given, and will give, this idea all the consideration it deserves.

But, since you see no harm in it, let's see how you like it.

Hey, your place is a dump! Jeez, when's the last time you cleaned up or, God forbid, painted the walls? Ever heard of a vacuum cleaner? (I believe you call it a 'Hoover.')

You actually go out in public wearing those clothes? O God, you must give your pub mates quite the laugh.

Let's look at your job and school performance. O my! You suck! Tell me, do you do anything constructive during your time, or do you just download porn all day and jack off to it when no one's around?

You call these idiots "friends"?! Evidently your taste in clothing and home decor is exceeded in negative magnitude only by your desperate willingness to associate with social bottom feeders and plague victims.

quote:

Yes, and you'll notice it was politicians commenting about Northern Ireland, and since when has a national border stopped any politician, anywhwere, from pontificating about another country's problems?

more about graves
goes with my previous post.

quote:
Where Americans draw the line is foreign nationals telling us "Vote how we want you to." The Guardian is not stumping for Pres. Bush, either, so this translates to, "Vote for Kerry."

Actually, the Guardian hasn't revealed much bias yet. And in the article in question, they provide information for both sides of the debate, and make it clear that you would only receive an independent Clark County voter's address.

quote:
quote:

So you must believe I, and 270+ million other Americans, also have the right to tell you how to vote.
Go for it! Oh you did. Is that the best you can come up with? We're far worse than that.

quote:
quote:

Yes, and you'll notice it was politicians commenting about Northern Ireland, and since when has a national border stopped any politician, anywhwere, from pontificating about another country's problems?
Are you telling me I'm not a politician? I hold political sway, therefore I am a politician. Just because they hold office or are running for office doesn't make them any more a politician. It just means they're higher up the decision making ladder and ultimately wrest more power.

Sorry, was that a bit too ideologically democratic for you guys? I'll try and tone it down.

quote:
And how the...Walish...loved it! I wish I had a little treat for each of them! They can sit and roll over too!

Damn those Walish! [Mad]

I knew they'd get us in the end!

quote:

quote:

I believe we've given, and will give, this idea all the consideration it deserves.

But, since you see no harm in it, let's see how you like it.

Hey, your place is a dump! Jeez, when's the last time you cleaned up or, God forbid, painted the walls? Ever heard of a vacuum cleaner? (I believe you call it a 'Hoover.')

You actually go out in public wearing those clothes? O God, you must give your pub mates quite the laugh.

Let's look at your job and school performance. O my! You suck! Tell me, do you do anything constructive during your time, or do you just download porn all day and jack off to it when no one's around?

You call these idiots "friends"?! Evidently your taste in clothing and home decor is exceeded in negative magnitude only by your desperate willingness to associate with social bottom feeders and plague victims.

So the British talk about politics in relation to other countires. When it coems to US citizens talking about other countires, their political knowledge extends only to abuse.

Posted by Níghtlamp (# 266) on :

quote:
quote:

Oh yes, that's right! How could I forget that massive letter-writing campaign sponsored by the Boston Globe?

I think he is alluding to the clinton involvement in Northern Ireland and the indirect sponsoring of terrorist organisations by Noraid which indeed was supported by some US politicians.

OK, for those who think the Guardian campaign is a good idea, let's review:

You have strong evidence that Americans are unlikely to respond positively to exhortations to vote one way or another received in the mail from foreigners who were given the postal address by a random process in a computer.

You have heard that some Americans who might be undecided could be pushed to vote against whoever you are advocating, just because they are annoyed by your letter.

But you still want to write letters.

So this has nothing to do with your hoping to affect the election, it's just about you getting off on your own fantasy.

You are a bunch of pathetic wankers.

You have every right to be as stupid as you want, just as we have every right to tell you to fuck off and die.

Fuck off and die.

KenWritez brings up a good point that reminded me why I should tell you Brits how to vote (for one I have a good British surname, for two I lived there before back in 1989).

When I was there, I experienced being snubbed in a pub by some old fart Irish guy since when he heard my surname, he asked if I was born Protestant or Catholic. I answered and he got up and left the table.

I also used to walk by this embassy (forgot which country) off of Brompton Road on my way home to my flat in London. Read about a bomb being found under the car I used to walk by one day, very much scared me.

Put that together and I am glad Blair is Bush's bud in the war against terror. I luv me some Blair. BLAIR ROX.

That...and I rule all with my cohorts.

Thank you.

quote:
So the British talk about politics in relation to other countires. When it coems to US citizens talking about other countires, their political knowledge extends only to abuse.

In rebuttal, I refer you to Barabas' and ASkull's most excellent posts. Substitute "Blair" for "Bush" and "British" for "American" in their posts and you'll see what I'm talking about.

quote:
Originally posted by NÕghtlamp:
quote:
quote:

I think he is alluding to the clinton involvement in Northern Ireland and the indirect sponsoring of terrorist organisations by Noraid which indeed was supported by some US politicians.
Oh good, the "bolster my argument with totally irrelevant facts" model helpfully supplied by Barabas is now gaining wider currency on the Ship. Just what we need.

Clinton's intervention in Northern Ireland: undisputed. Noraid funds and boatloads of weaponry sent off to support terrorists: sad, but true. Tell me again what this has to do with a newspaper encouraging individuals to send mail with voting instructions to Ohio?

Gambit, Re: Walish--Do you think Americans should know or care how to spell 'Welsh?" Fair enough. Perhaps Guardian readers and their ilk should learn something about the US before coming up stupid ideas like this campaign.

You remind me of those morons who take huge puppets to political rallies--clueless morons telling themselves that they are taking action when they are just jerking themselves off and discrediting their cause in the process.

[ 14. October 2004, 17:11: Message edited by: Jerry Boam ]

quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
Put that together and I am glad Blair is Bush's bud in the war against terror. I luv me some Blair. BLAIR ROX.

So when are the Blair and Bush coalition going to bomb the Americans who gave a small fortune to the IRA (which was then funnelled to General Quadaffi in exchange for arms) back to the Stone age, just like the rest of the 'states' (pun definately intended) that support terrorism?

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
quote:

So when are the Blair and Bush coalition going to bomb the Americans who gave a small fortune to the IRA (which was then funnelled to General Quadaffi in exchange for arms) back to the Stone age, just like the rest of the 'states' (pun definately intended) that support terrorism?
You really do need to do your homework. The Americans who funded and fund terrorism in Northern Ireland are Irish Americans with strong centers in Boston, New York and the Northeast in general. They are historically Democrats, so it's just a matter of time before Bush (should we have the misfortune of seeing him win again) declares them non-citizens and enemy combatants. If it's useful at that juncture to prosecute Irish Americans under the Patriot Act for their support of terrorism, rest assured, Homeland Security will be on top of that situation. Blair will do as he's told, as usual. But it's highly unlikely that Blair's role will involve bombing Boston.

The European stereotype of Americans is one of parochial ignorance. I used to think it was earned, but posts like these make me wonder if it isn't all projection.

Posted by Ship's Meerkat (# 5213) on :

quote:
Look, your country elects Bush's lapdog, so clearly you're not effective enough to influence the elections you CAN vote in.

This is probably part of the Guardian's motivation. I think that the letter campaign is ludicrous, and well below them. But...

Americans, try and see it from our point of view. Our Prime Minister is reduced to kowtowing to a monkey outwitted by about 55% of his own country. We've been dragged into what is widely regarded as an immoral war as a consequence. That's not all, but you get the idea.

It's bloody embarrassing for us Brits.

quote:

A succinct and well-argued correction of my last post.

Thank you for correcting me, and if my post caused offence, accept my apologies.

(A much chastened)
Gambit

[ 14. October 2004, 17:37: Message edited by: Gambit ]

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
quote:

A succinct and well-argued correction of my last post.

Thank you for correcting me, and if my post caused offence, accept my apologies.

(A much chastened)
Gambit

No offense taken, Gambit! If there was any overtone of umbrage in my reply, it was probably residual warm feeling for Barabas.

Duchess, on the other hand may require that you kneel and kiss her ring.

*shudder*

I'm sure she's a lovely Lady really.

Duchess, you think American troops in Iraq are going to raise those people from the dead? Next you'll explain the campaign of fucking for virginity. And what the holy cellulite-jiggling OZ-humping bible-thumping Hell does any of this have to do with this thread? Go masturbate and come back after you can think straight again.

Oppy, surely you realize that I'm not an American voter?

Posted by Mad Geo (# 2939) on :

That's it.

I'm going to become a Brit and vote for Thatcher in the next election.

quote:
Originally posted by Ship's Meerkat:
Americans, try and see it from our point of view. Our Prime Minister is reduced to kowtowing to a monkey outwitted by about 55% of his own country. We've been dragged into what is widely regarded as an immoral war as a consequence. That's not all, but you get the idea.

So? How in the name of holy fuck is that our fault?

quote:
quote:

So? How in the name of holy fuck is that our fault?
No, I wasn't saying it was your fault. It's ours, because we elected the sycophant. But it's reasonable for us to want the situation not to carry on, even if a certain newspaper gets the wrong idea about how to encourage this.

quote:
No, I wasn't saying it was your fault. It's ours, because we elected the sycophant. But it's reasonable for us to want the situation not to carry on

Patience Grasshopper. There'll be an election in the UK soon.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Duchess, you think American troops in Iraq are going to raise those people from the dead? Next you'll explain the campaign of [edited out] for virginity. And what the holy cellulite-jiggling OZ-humping bible-thumping Hell does any of this have to do with this thread? Go masturbate and come back after you can think straight again.

<snip!>

Listen proud tosser, those people in graves are a darn good reason for us to be in the war, outside of any WMD debate, in themselves, God rest their souls. Go and beat yourself and have fun doing it.

[your obsession with sex is quite obvious. Hopefully your nurse is still around administraing you meds. You still need them.]

[ 14. October 2004, 19:19: Message edited by: duchess ]

Yes, someone argued that to me earlier, Duchess. Didn't buy it then, either.

RooK - I know you're Canadian (obviously) but I thought you might be naturalised.

quote:

Why not? How do you suppose Saddam could be stopped from murdering more innocent people?

quote:
So this has nothing to do with your hoping to affect the election, it's just about you getting off on your own fantasy.

You are a bunch of pathetic wankers.

You have every right to be as stupid as you want, just as we have every right to tell you to fuck off and die.

Jerry Boam has hit the nail on the head. To run with his Boston Globe analogy, I have always been of the view that the moment we could decently reunite the bit of Ireland we foolishly hung onto in 1921 with the Republic, we should do so.

Had, at any point during the 1980s, I been in receipt of correspondence from some opinionated Bostonian, whose knowledge of the Irish problem derived from a folk memory about the potato famine and several choruses of 'the wearing of the green', brought on by drinking Guiness, exhorting me to end protestant hegemony in Ulster and end the British Imperialist Occupation, I would have been sorely provoked. A flurry of letters later and I would have been investing in an orange sash and bowler hat. You see Britain is my country. The Irish question is our problem and there is no better way to get any moderately patriotic person's back up than to have some opinionated foreigner telling one what to do.

As Americans have this same human reflex, I can only imagine that an attempt to persuade them to vote for Kerry by the readers of the Grauniad is going to have a similar effect. Admittedly Grauniad readers tend not to have patriotic reflexes and may not intuitively understand this. Trust me - if you want to provoke a swing voter to go for Bush write to him and tell him that in the name of world peace it his his duty to vote for Kerry.

In fact, If I were Karl Rove, I would be kicking myself that I had not thought of this myself and be on the phone to every left wing journal in Europe.

Which part of 'It's fucking stupid, don't do it' are people wrestling with.

(and the accumulator is running).

Can we be honest about Saddam? If his status as an evil murdering bastard was the reason we needed to go to war, then why didn't we go after North Korea, China, Syria, Sudan, Congo, Zimbabwe?

Is it the quantity or the quality of the tortures and killings that requires immediate, half-witted, invasion by an inadequately small force?

The war was a colossal fuck up, whatever the reason.

The dead Kurdish babies in the killing fields don't change that.

None of this has any bearing on whether twits in the UK should send political spam to American voters. Don't like the UK's participation in the war? Think that there's a better candidate for PM than Blair? I believe you will have the opportunity to vote in your own elections.

Posted by Son of a Preacher Man (# 5460) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zwingli:
quote:

Why not? How do you suppose Saddam could be stopped from murdering more innocent people?
You can't use Saddam murdering innocent Iraqis as justification for invading Iraq. We were very happy to let him bleed Iraq dry of young men when they were being used as cannon fodder against Ayatollah Khomeni's army. We did nothing when he suppressed the Shiites and Kurds after the first Gulf war.

You can't use 9/11 as justification for invading Iraq either.

Even Bush didn't do that. He sold us on the war with the weapons of mass destruction angle. Go back and read his 2003 State of the Union Address. There is not one word linking Saddam with the 9/11 attacks, but a flood of them about WMD.

It's only now, after the weakness of the WMD argument has been made known, that we are getting the "Well, we removed a brutal murderer and...oh yeah, he also was involved in 9/11" line.

Posted by Spawn (# 4867) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Son of a Preacher Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Zwingli:
quote:

You can't use Saddam murdering innocent Iraqis as justification for invading Iraq. We were very happy to let him bleed Iraq dry of young men when they were being used as cannon fodder against Ayatollah Khomeni's army. We did nothing when he suppressed the Shiites and Kurds after the first Gulf war.

You can't use 9/11 as justification for invading Iraq either.

Even Bush didn't do that. He sold us on the war with the weapons of mass destruction angle. Go back and read his 2003 State of the Union Address. There is not one word linking Saddam with the 9/11 attacks, but a flood of them about WMD.

It's only now, after the weakness of the WMD argument has been made known, that we are getting the "Well, we removed a brutal murderer and...oh yeah, he also was involved in 9/11" line.

Why are there so many assholes around. WMD was one reason for the war. It was a pretty good reason at the time. Any world leader confronted with the sheer barbarism of 9/11 would start to get worried about the possibility of WMD reaching the hands of Osama Bin Laden from complete madmen like Saddam Hussein. Furthermore, Saddam Hussein spent 10 years pretending he had WMD when apparently he'd destroyed them (and there's still a heck of a lot about that that doesn't make sense). Everyone thought he had some stocks of WMD, including Hans Blix, including German, French, Russian and Chinese intelligence.

In addition to this the legal reason for going to war was the fact that Saddam Hussein was flouting the cease fire agreement of 1991 and subsequent UN resolutions. If some criminal gets out on parole and consistently breaks the law, they go back into jail. The fact is that 9/11 was the reason that the US gathered the political will to shove the genocidal monster back in jail - and for once I'm grateful to Tony Blair that he did the right thing.

Posted by Falling Star (# 5006) on :

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

quote:
None of this has any bearing on whether twits in the UK should send political spam to American voters. Don't like the UK's participation in the war? Think that there's a better candidate for PM than Blair? I believe you will have the opportunity to vote in your own elections.

Quite right. I look forward to exercising my right to vote accordingly, and not writing to any residents of the USA about their thoughts about doing likewise. None of which stops me me from hoping that Bush goes out on his ear, as indeed I would hope the rest of the world would be concerned if Thatcher somehow came back.

Posted by Pob (# 8009) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
Everyone thought he had some stocks of WMD, including Hans Blix...

who asked for more time to do his job, and was denied it, not by the UN but by Bush. Given time, he'd have concluded there weren't any, without having to bomb the country to bits.

quote:
In addition to this the legal reason for going to war was the fact that Saddam Hussein was flouting the cease fire agreement of 1991 and subsequent UN resolutions. If some criminal gets out on parole and consistently breaks the law, they go back into jail.
It's for the UN, not one or two nations, to decide if the resolutions have been broken to the extent that war is the best response, just as it's not for the officer on the beat to decide that someone's violated his parole and can therefore be locked up without further reference to the legal system.

I'm glad Saddam's gone. But I'm angry that he was removed with so much bloodshed and in a way that's likely to fuel international terrorism, and that the governments which overthrew him are happy to tolerate and even work with tyrants who are just as bad, with no hint of shame.

Posted by Son of a Preacher Man (# 5460) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Falling Star:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing

It is. It can help prevent you from making the same mistake twice. If you are willing to swallow your pride and admit you made a mistake.

Back to the OP, it's crap like that that almost makes me glad I don't live in Ohio anymore, much as I miss it. Though I must say that I wonder what the good citizens of Clark County would do when an honest-to-goodness real life snail mail letter arrives from some other country. They probably won't open a single one. They'll round them all up for antrax testing, or, more likely, just burn them all.

quote:
Furthermore, Saddam Hussein spent 10 years pretending he had WMD when apparently he'd destroyed them (and there's still a heck of a lot about that that doesn't make sense). Everyone thought he had some stocks of WMD, including Hans Blix, including German, French, Russian and Chinese intelligence.
Oddly enough your comments in brackets struck me. It seems to me likely that Saddam needed to preserve his status as scourge of the US Imperialists in order to bolster his regime's shaky legitimacy and to prove to potentially dissident elements that he retained his cojones. Presumably he thought that 'doing a Gaddafi' was more of a threat to him internally than any US President might of been - ignoring the fact that Bush jr. was not a realpolitician like Bush snr. or a liberal internationalist like Clinton.

We will never know, I imagine, unless there is a draft of 'Time Has It's Epochs' or 'The Common Weal' by Saddam tucked in a bunker somewhere. I must say that, whilst I disagree with you about the merits of the war, under the circumstances it can hardly be denied that part of the responsibility for its outcome must be placed squarely at the feet of Saddam.

Mind you, in the days when I used to study diplomatic history I was a fully paid up member of the 'Soviet Union - nervous status quo power, rather than ubervillain bent on world dominance' school of thought. So those of you with more robust views on foreign policy can file me under 'hopeless appeaser'. [Biased]

Posted by Spawn (# 4867) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pob:
quote:
Everyone thought he had some stocks of WMD, including Hans Blix...

who asked for more time to do his job, and was denied it, not by the UN but by Bush. Given time, he'd have concluded there weren't any, without having to bomb the country to bits.
Blix simply couldn't have concluded that to everyone's satisfaction. Under the threat of troops amassing around his borders Saddam was beginning to comply with the weapons inspectors but he never fully complied. There would always have been doubt. In the world of real politik you simply can't keep troops prepared for an invasion on the borders for eternity - or to satisfy the French (a country which was hypocritically already busting sanctions). A pragmatic decision was taken not to delay.

quote:
quote:
In addition to this the legal reason for going to war was the fact that Saddam Hussein was flouting the cease fire agreement of 1991 and subsequent UN resolutions. If some criminal gets out on parole and consistently breaks the law, they go back into jail.
It's for the UN, not one or two nations, to decide if the resolutions have been broken to the extent that war is the best response, just as it's not for the officer on the beat to decide that someone's violated his parole and can therefore be locked up without further reference to the legal system.

I'm glad Saddam's gone. But I'm angry that he was removed with so much bloodshed and in a way that's likely to fuel international terrorism, and that the governments which overthrew him are happy to tolerate and even work with tyrants who are just as bad, with no hint of shame.

It was largely with the manpower, and the will, and the expense of the USA that the first Gulf War was conducted with the support of the UN and an international coalition built by the Americans. Under UN auspices nothing was then done for over a decade to ensure compliance with the ceasefire. During that time the Americans and the British, with little support had manned the no-fly zone while an increasing number of countries were undermining sanctions and the UN's Oil/Aid programme had been entirely subverted and corrupted. The UN is totally unable to take decisions of this nature for a variety of obvious reasons.

Put it this way. If the Metropolitan police lacked the resources or the will to put a consistent parole breaker back behind bars, would you have any objection to another arm of law enforcement taking those steps (say the SIS, or the Flying Squad)? That it seems to me is a more useful analogy.

I can understand your anger, but the Gulf war was a relatively bloodless conflict, the past couple of months have been pretty bloody but that is hardly surprising.

[Fixed quotes. Reasoning left broken.]

[ 14. October 2004, 21:23: Message edited by: RooK ]

quote:
Fine. If you want to shaft everyone else as well as your own country, that's your prerogative.
You're right. It is duchess's prerogative. In fact, it's her right. And she has the right because she's a citizen of this country. duchess is voting for Bush, who I think will indeed give my country the shaft. As someone who wants Bush out of office, let me say I strongly resent this letter-writing campaign. It is offensive. duchess is an adult, and can make electoral decisions without the help of Guardian readers. (And, heh heh, she can also speak for herself - this rhetorical device of using her as a metonymy for every American makes it sound like I'm trying to speak for her, which I am not doing.)

Now, duchess, firmly as I support your right to vote for Chimpy McAWOL, I feel the need to point out that the Kurds were gassed by Saddam because Chimpy's daddy told them to rise up in rebellion against Saddam and left them out to dry when they did. Saddam gassed them because they retaliated, thinking we were going to support them in a revolution. We used them and those graves are testament not only to Saddam's murderous policies but ours as well.

Oh yes and Barabas is stupid.

That is all.

[ 14. October 2004, 22:07: Message edited by: MadFarmer ]

quote:
Oh good, the "bolster my argument with totally irrelevant facts" model helpfully supplied by Barabas is now gaining wider currency on the Ship. Just what we need.

Clinton's intervention in Northern Ireland: undisputed. Noraid funds and boatloads of weaponry sent off to support terrorists: sad, but true. Tell me again what this has to do with a newspaper encouraging individuals to send mail with voting instructions to Ohio?

The point that was made was that people in the USA have tried to influence politics in the UK you disputed that point with some drivel about the Boston Globe. I gave examples of the people from the US interfering in politics in the UK and you agree with me.
The precedent has long been set with people from one country involving themselves in another country. Chill out.

quote:
Originally posted by N’ghtlamp:
The point that was made was that people in the USA have tried to influence politics in the UK you disputed that point with some drivel about the Boston Globe. I gave examples of the people from the US interfering in politics in the UK and you agree with me.
The precedent has long been set with people from one country involving themselves in another country. Chill out.

Dear Nightlamp, the reply was not directed at you specifically, but rather at The Undiscovered Country and anyone who thought that was a reasonable point...

But come on! "involve themselves!" Surely you are not suggesting that the morons who think it would be clever to send political exhortations to registered independents in Clark County, Ohio, are "involving themselves" in the affairs of the US in the same way that the morons who send guns and money to terrorists in Northern Ireland are "Involving themselves" in UK politics?

These things can't be cited as precedent because they are categorically different.

quote:

But come on! "involve themselves!" Surely you are not suggesting that the morons who think it would be clever to send political exhortations to registered independents in Clark County, Ohio, are "involving themselves" in the affairs of the US in the same way that the morons who send guns and money to terrorists in Northern Ireland are "Involving themselves" in UK politics?

These things can't be cited as precedent because they are categorically different.

I agree they are different sending letters is so small as to be insignificant. But since they are are either involving themselves or not involving themselves they must be involving themselves since they are trying to change a political outcome. They might be unwanted but that's another matter.

If you want a another precedent how about the mutual support the Labour party and the Democrats have provided over the years and for that matter the Republicans and the Conservatives.

Posted by Corfe (# 633) on :

I'm amazed that people are so wound up about the Guardian.

It's just a form of lobbying, where interest groups try to persuade those appointed to make a decision, to decide the way they want.

In this case US citizens have the vote and others want to influence them. So what? No-one is forcing anyone to vote a particular way. Democracy is not reduced.

IMO, honest appeals from ordinary people to US voters seems closer to the spirit of democracy than professional lobbyists paid by big business
to ease the way for their clients' causes with gifts and entertainment.

I don't think the Guardian is seriously expecting to have much influence.

We have a UK election in the not-too-distant future. I will be interested to see how people here react if others try to persuade us to vote a particular way.

Sending guns and bombs is a very serious crime, with deadly and horrible consequences.

Sending letters is an insignificant piece of braindead fuckwittery, unlikely to have any effect other than pissing Americans off and tiping a few of the undecideds into the Bush camp.

"involving themselves" as a blanket term for both these activities is an unworthy linguistic figleaf.

I am a Democrat and pro-Labour party. I think the cooperation of Democrats and Labourites, like the cooperation of Republicans and Tories, is natural and positive, however awkward the result may be when Americans elect a complete idiot form one party and Brits elect a fairly decent PM from the opposite camp.

Seeing Blair adjust himself to Bush was tragic, like watching Powell adjust himself to Rumsfeld's coup.

quote:
In this case US citizens have the vote and others want to influence them. So what? No-one is forcing anyone to vote a particular way. Democracy is not reduced.
Fine. We'll make sure all the mail from the Guardian is forwarded to you.

quote:

IMO, honest appeals from ordinary people to US voters seems closer to the spirit of democracy than professional lobbyists paid by big business

They're actually very similar.

quote:
Originally posted by MadFarmer:

The differences I can see are gifts and entertainment given by US businesses to sway decisions vs letters from foreign individuals.

A much bigger threat to democracy here is the that a US citizen owns a large influential part of the UK press and therefore has huge unelected power. Murdoch's blessing is sought by the main parties and they feel a need to please him. It rather dwarfs a few letters in foreign influence, I think.

Posted by Amazing Grace (# 4754) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Callan.:
In fact, If I were Karl Rove, I would be kicking myself that I had not thought of this myself and be on the phone to every left wing journal in Europe.

Indeed, I had that very same thought. I drafted up a little International Post of my own, to the Guardian, telling them why I thought it was such a bad idea, and said that I thought Rove would be cackling maniacally. Actually I thought that he would pop a giant stiffy at the thought (esp. with the extra crunchy irony of having the lefties do his work for him), but was unsure whether that idiom was commonly understood trans-Pond. Perhaps some kind British shipmate could advise me on that matter? [Two face]

Charlotte

quote:
Originally posted by Corfe:
quote:

The differences I can see are gifts and entertainment given by US businesses to sway decisions vs letters from foreign individuals.

A much bigger threat to democracy here is the that a US citizen owns a large influential part of the UK press and therefore has huge unelected power. Murdoch's blessing is sought by the main parties and they feel a need to please him. It rather dwarfs a few letters in foreign influence, I think.

Is there a new competition for "thickest of Britain" going on?

Has the pressure of gravity left a lattice of neutrons in place of normal matter between your ears? Is there any risk of collapse to a singularity? Such dense matter should not exist except in ancient. massive stars.

You are comparing the output of a media mogul's empire with individual communications sent directly to individual Americans. There is a difference, unless you want to call both activities "involvement" in the Nightlampian mode.

quote:
I'm amazed that people are so wound up about the Guardian.

It's just a form of lobbying, where interest groups try to persuade those appointed to make a decision, to decide the way they want.

I don't think the Guardian is seriously expecting to have much influence.

The election is close enough that every vote is important in the swing states (which will decide who wins the EC). It really is being micromanaged by the campaigns.

In this case, the lobbying idea is wooly-minded enough that it would swing things exactly opposite of the way that apparently was intended. Mind you, the Guardian could be interested in keeping George Bush to kick around for the next four years, in which case the whole thing makes twisted sense.

What part of "It's an amazingly stupid idea" is so incredibly difficult to understand?

Charlotte

quote:

A clarification: I meant that they are similar as regards whether or not they are in "the spirit of democracy."

quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:
Penelope Keith for President!

[Overused] [Axe murder]

And either Patricia Routledge or Dame Judi Dench for vice-president, I think....

Posted by Mousethief (# 953) on :

Once again, Jerry Boam, I find myself in agreement with you. Knock it off, will ya? [Two face]

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
The election is close enough that every vote is important in the swing states (which will decide who wins the EC). It really is being micromanaged by the campaigns.

Bush has even dug the hole he's going to dump awkward ballot boxes into.

I think I was taken a bit too literally in earlier posts when I suggested that Britain has a right to have a say in America's election.

However, the colonials call to revolution in the American War of Independence was 'no taxation without representation'. America's war in Iraq has cost Britain a great deal (not just in money but a massive loss of respect from the Arab world). I believe that Britain was forced into that war because she is so closely tied to America economically that whichever Prime Minister was in power, he or she would have been coerced into it.

Britain's long standing friendship with America will surely be effected if the US continues to use it's influence to bully the UK into actions which the majority of it's citizens abhore. At the moment, most of the UK is wary of closer European intergration but what if Bush is re-elected and Britian is forced into new wars with Syria or Iran (or even Nrth. Korea)? If this pushes the UK away from the 'special relationship' and into a Franco-German dominated Europe, the consequences for the world will be unlikely to be for the better.

quote:

I think it was the great Emo Philips who said that it would be terrible if an insect laid its eggs in your head because one day you might think you were having a great idea, but really it was just the insects hatching.

I suspect this is what happened to you.

Look, it's quite simple (which is lucky, really, considering). If the women prisoners had been released for any reason while Ken Bigley was being held to ransom, the kidnappers would have assumed the coalition had acquiesced to their demands.

This would have opened the floodgates for terrorists to take hostages for ransom.

Once you negotiate with one terrorist you will negotiate with a hundred times more the next day. The only way to stop hostage taking is to never bow, or look like you're bowing, to the demands of a terrorist.

It's terrible for Ken Bigley's family, but there was no other way.

quote:
I think I was taken a bit too literally in earlier posts when I suggested that Britain has a right to have a say in America's election.

However, the colonials call to revolution in the American War of Independence was 'no taxation without representation'. America's war in Iraq has cost Britain a great deal (not just in money but a massive loss of respect from the Arab world). I believe that Britain was forced into that war because she is so closely tied to America economically that whichever Prime Minister was in power, he or she would have been coerced into it.

Britain's long standing friendship with America will surely be effected if the US continues to use it's influence to bully the UK into actions which the majority of it's citizens abhore. At the moment, most of the UK is wary of closer European intergration but what if Bush is re-elected and Britian is forced into new wars with Syria or Iran (or even Nrth. Korea)? If this pushes the UK away from the 'special relationship' and into a Franco-German dominated Europe, the consequences for the world will be unlikely to be for the better.

As another Brit I have to tell you that the only thing we can do is vote and participate in British and European politics, which we do have a say in instead of wishing we had a say in the Presidential election. Howsabout we get a vote next time Mugabe comes up for election? Ariel Sharon? Whoever your bogeyman is this week?

Intellect,

I agree with you about not bowing to terrorists
and they must never be seen to be influencing the rule of law.

However, in the case of those women scientists, it's different because they are being held (IMO) illegally. The was an illegal war, America was not being threatened by Iraq and has no right to detain it's citizens (especially when we've seen how they have been abused).

quote:
I agree with you about not bowing to terrorists...however, in the case of those women scientists, it's different because they are being held (IMO) illegally.

It's not different in this case, and you are logically inconsistent.

Whether you believe it was an illegal war or not (and there are a lot of people who agree that it was), this does not give you carte blanche to be an ass.

quote:
However, in the case of those women scientists, it's different because they are being held (IMO) illegally.

In that case, take up your complaint with the Iraqi interim government (such as it is). They're held in Iraqi jails, with Iraqi guards, awaiting trial in Iraqi courts for crimes against Iraqi citizens (specifically assisting in the development of chemical weapons deployed against the Kurds and others).

I don't see how spamming the good citizens of Ohio will make much difference to how Iraqi law is enforced.

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Geo:
That's it.

I'm going to become a Brit and vote for Thatcher in the next election.

Charmed as I am sure we would all be to have you on board, Mad Geo, you won't be able to vote for Lady Thatcher because we made her a peer of the realm. They, together with lunatics, aliens etc. cannot be elected to Parliament.

I wouldn't like to think of you coming all this way only to be disappointed.

Posted by quantpole (# 8401) on :

quote:
[SNIP]...

Sorry, but WTF are you trying to say here? Seems to be some cross between Grauniad and Daily Mail politics to me... [Ultra confused]

quote:
I believe that Britain was forced into that war because she is so closely tied to America economically that whichever Prime Minister was in power, he or she would have been coerced into it.

I believe that economically (not to mention politically and culturally) Britain is much more closely tied to the rest of Europe than we are to the US. And, the rest of Europe wasn't all that keen on the war (was Spain the only other European nation to send troops?).

quote:
Britain's long standing friendship with America will surely be effected if the US continues to use it's influence to bully the UK into actions which the majority of it's citizens abhore.
For a start I don't think the UK was bullied by the US. I believe that Bliar went into the war firmly believing it to be the right thing to do - though, as you pointed out, a large proportion of the population disagreed with him. Though just how strongly the people disagree will be clear come the election - if the majority of UK citizens think the war was as abhorent as you imply then Bliar doesn't have a chance, though it looks like he does which rather ruins your argument.

quote:
If this pushes the UK away from the 'special relationship' and into a Franco-German dominated Europe, the consequences for the world will be unlikely to be for the better.
I don't think the EU is that strongly dominated by France and Germany; the UK has a substantial voice, as do the Scandinavian countries; the new members will be a strong influence (though they may have to act together a bit to take full advantage of their influence), and many small countries punch above their wait (eg Ireland).

And, even if the EU was as Franco-German dominated as you think, would closer UK ties with Europe be a bad thing? Why?

Alan

There are two reasons why Tony Blair has a gpd chance of being re-elected -

1) A good reocrd on the economy and employment

2) The opposition is even more US - leaning (certain Tories have advocated leaving the EU and joining NAFTA!!)

Re. Europe, I love the concept of a united Europe, in principle but I am pessamistic that the main powers will continue to selfishly try to manipulate Europe for their own ends. Eg. I am in principle in favour of the Euro but look how Germany (and I think France) have flouted the rules on which the currency is based!

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

Look folks, it wasn't about those women scientists.

The thugs who kidnbapped the engineers had possibly never even heard of them - and if they has it wasn't them they were talking about.

We aren't the audience for their terrorism. The people they are playing to are the disaffected Arab Muslims. Who, in their view, just Somehow Know that the US and the UK and their Zionist mercenaries are holding hundreds - thousands - tens of thousands - of innocent Muslim Arabs, men and women, in concentration camps and torturing and raping and starving them.

The demand to release the women prisoners was a deliberatly impossible demand, intended to show the Arabs how recalcitrant the Americans are.

If those scientists had been released (which should have happened months ago) they would just have demanded that all the other women prisoners be released. Whether there were any or not.

The only way to free those US & UK prisoners would have been to pay millions of dollars, which would just have been used to organise the next terrorist attack.

Or, just possibly, to ally with some of the extreme Shia groups (& maybe even with Iran) and see if we couldn't shoot our way in. Which would almost certainly have resulted in them getting killed anyway.

But the demands weren't meant to be fulfilled. They were meant to show up the US or the UK getting humiliated by the kidnappers, as a publicity stunt to increase their influence in Iraq. That's why this nonsense about a personal appeal to Mr. Blair was broadcast.

Originally posted by Intellect by Proxy:

quote:
Once you negotiate with one terrorist you will negotiate with a hundred times more the next day. The only way to stop hostage taking is to never bow, or look like you're bowing, to the demands of a terrorist.
No. You should not bow to terrorists but neither should you refrain from doing something which is right or prudent merely because it gives the impression that you are bowing to terrorists.

If terrorists can make governments behave in a stupid and autocratic manner that is as big a defeat for democracy and the rule of law, as if they make governments act in a cowardly and unprincipled manner.

quote:
Originally posted by Intellect by Proxy:

quote:
The only way to stop hostage taking is to never bow, or look like you're bowing, to the demands of a terrorist.
No. You should not bow to terrorists but neither should you refrain from doing something which is right or prudent merely because it gives the impression that you are bowing to terrorists.

No.

In the Bigley case it might have helped his release. I don't think it would, but it might.

But then it would have looked exactly like the ransom had been paid, which would have set a precedent and ten hostages would have been taken the next day.

It's awful for Ken and his family (and I hope that if I were in his family's position I'd think as I do now), but the message had to be sent that hostage-taking is not a tool for political change.

I'm not convinced that it would have helped his release either. Nor am I certain that it was the right thing to do. But I do believe very strongly that if it had been right and appropriate it should have been done, even if it happened to be a terrorist demand.

It is one thing to allow a hostage to die in order to preserve the principles of good government and the rule of law. It is another to allow someone to die merely in order to look hard, which is what you appear to be suggesting.

A hypothetical suggestion. Supposing someone is detained under emergency legislation of some sort. Suppose a hostage is taken and demands for the release are made. Suppose, in the mean time, it has been decided independently that the person should be released. Should one, therefore, overrule that decision in order not to give aid and comfort to the terrorists? Of course not. It is the right thing to do, even though terrorists are demanding it. If you keep the person in prison you are altering your policies in the face of terrorist demands, just as much as if you released a convicted criminal in order to get back a hostage.

Callan,

The holding of the women scientists is now symbolic of the lack of rule of law in Iraq.

The 'independent' government of the people of Iraq wanted to release at least one of them.
The American conquerers forbade this, demonstrating what a farce these puppet regimes are!

quote:
quote:
quote:

Is there a new competition for "thickest of Britain" going on?

Has the pressure of gravity left a lattice of neutrons in place of normal matter between your ears? Is there any risk of collapse to a singularity? Such dense matter should not exist except in ancient. massive stars.

You are comparing the output of a media mogul's empire with individual communications sent directly to individual Americans. There is a difference, unless you want to call both activities "involvement" in the Nightlampian mode.

Jerry, I usually respect your views as intelligent so I'll assume you have misunderstood me.

I was contrasting a few personal letters as a way of swaying opinion, against professional lobbyists representing big business interests. MadFarmer said he thought they were similar so I pointed out some differences. I'm saying that they are both attempts to influence people but they're not the same. One big difference is that lobbying on behalf of business becomes corruption if gifts are given. Personal letters can only compete if presents are enclosed. Chocolate anyone?

Then I said that in Britain there is a much bigger erosion of democracy: a US citizen who owns British newspapers and can influence public opinion by the way the news is reported. Tony Blair needs this man's continued goodwill to avoid slipping further in public opinion. This large scale influence of millions and the likely desire of TB not to have policies which annoy this man, makes a few hundred letters (if it gets as big as that) seem pretty insignificant by comparison.

Amazing Grace said:
quote:
In this case, the lobbying idea is wooly-minded enough that it would swing things exactly opposite of the way that apparently was intended.
Could, not would. Not many will bother to write these letters (I won't be writing) and most people who receive them will probably ignore them. Only the very stupidest recipients will say to themselves "if these people want X, I'll vote for Y; that'll show them" as no-one will see how they vote. Most will say "well, that's their view but I'm voting for X".

quote:
What part of "It's an amazingly stupid idea" is so incredibly difficult to understand?
Charlotte, I don't particularly support the Guardian scheme but saying you think it's a stupid idea doesn't make it true, even in Hell. Come on, you can do better.

Corfe, I am in the middle of a project that requires very high levels of concentration and energy in random burst throughout the day. This means I'm often left sitting with nothing to do, but in a very keyed up state. Hence my visits to Hell and gentle, considerate self expression here. Please don't take my hyperbolic merriment as anything personal.

That said...

You raise two interesting facts. By virtue of their wealth, corporations can influence politicians in a way private citizens cannot. Media Moguls can influence large numbers of people.

Neither of these constitutes an erosion of democracy.

If you don't like these influences, vote in politicians who will enact laws to limit them. The vote is still yours.

And do you really think Blair is afraid of pursuing an agenda that will offend Murdoch? Every position of the Labour government except the war is inimical to Murdoch. Surely, if your theory was correct, Blair would sound more like Thatcher or Enoch Powell?

OK... given the context I may regret this, but I'm going to [try to] be [relatively] reasonable about this.

When I first heard about the Guardian letter-writing campaign, it sounded like a sane enough idea to me. Apparently, though, this is because I'm a civilised human being.

You see, I would have no problem whatsoever with receiving a personal letter from someone outside the UK giving their opinions on the forthcoming election, even if it exhorted me to vote for someone I wasn't going to. This would apply particularly if the letter was from someone in a country which was strongly affected by UK foreign policy -- Iraq, say, or Afghanistan -- as I would consider people in these countries to have a legitimate interest in the makeup of the British government.

Of course it goes without saying that I'd be unlikely to change my vote unless they were very persuasive; but I wouldn't (and nor, I honestly believe, would most of the Britons I know) react in the hysterical way exhibited by some of the US posters on this thread. Just to repeat -- the Guardian proposal is for polite, tactful, moderately-worded and above all individual correspondence with selected undecided US voters. To call such a correspondence "spam" (unsolicited though it may be), or to refer to anybody "telling" anybody else "how to vote" is wilful misrepresentation.

However, during the course of this thread it has become clear to me that the campaign is, indeed, a very bad idea -- if, that is, the visceral reactions we've seen displayed are any indication of how the average American is likely to react. I'll gladly admit that, on the evidence, I appear to have radically overestimated the open-mindedness of the average US voter.

(I did actually visit the Guardian site and get allocated a Clark County voter, but I won't be writing to him now. Yes indeed, that's one citizen who's been protected from the unthinkably horrific experience of exposure to someone else's opinion.)

So, I'll return to quietly panicking about the fact that the individual with the strongest influence over how my country is governed is shortly going to be appointed, entirely without my control or consent, by a bunch of foreigners... who appear, again going by the evidence displayed in this thread, to include a startlingly high proportion of cretinous xenophobes.

Have a nice election, guys.

[ 15. October 2004, 14:09: Message edited by: Atmospheric Skull ]

quote:
I wouldn't (and nor, I honestly believe, would most of the Britons I know) react in the hysterical way exhibited by some of the US posters on this thread.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily be hysterical. But if I were to get such a letter my first response would be "bloody cheek", followed by throwing it in the bin (perhaps having removed any stamps as various charities collect them as fund raisers). If it was clearly a coordinated campaign then I might, if I had time and could be bothered, consider writing a letter of complaint.

quote:
So, I'll return to quietly panicking about the fact that the individual with the strongest influence over how my country is governed is shortly going to be appointed, entirely without my control or consent, by a bunch of foreigners... who appear, again going by the evidence displayed in this thread, to include a startlingly high proportion of cretinous xenophobes.
Take cover!

Posted by Scot (# 2095) on :

quote:
When I first heard about the Guardian letter-writing campaign, it sounded like a sane enough idea to me. Apparently, though, this is because I'm a civilised human being.

There are other possible explanations.

quote:
If you really believe this load of ass-dribble, then what you should be panicked about is your own government not being in control of your country. Why the fuck should anyone take political advice from people who have let their own nation arrive at such a sorry state of affairs?

Your post shows that the extremely broad brush you are using should be applied to you as well. I suggest doing it by shoving the broad brush up your own cretinous, xenophobic ass.

quote:
Apparently, though, this is because I'm a civilised human being.

Right. You are as qualified to directly engage US voters as a toddler is to play with firearms or construction equipment.
quote:
Sorry, but the PM, his cabinet and your MPs have the strongest influence over how your country is governed. You are in denial. Do you think that UK foreign and military policy is inextricably bound to US foreign and military policy? Why do you think that is? Who made the decisions that have maintained this special relationship through Labour and Conservative governments? Do you honestly believe that Lib Dems or anyone else will be able to change that in the short term?

And that you didn't already know that the US has shitloads of cretinous xenophobes (oh and the Yanks who have posted here are not actually among these), only confirms that you are too ignorant of American political life to safely try to influence it.

Thanks for not writing to your designated Clark County voter.

Jerry,

What's your point about the US having 'shitloads of cretious zenophobes'?

quote:
What's your point about the US having 'shitloads of cretious zenophobes'?

He means that the US is just like most other places in that regard. Like, for instance, Bristol or Stockport.

quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
Why the fuck should anyone take political advice from people who have let their own nation arrive at such a sorry state of affairs?

A fair comment, if the adviser is approaching it from a "Look here, you're doing it all wrong- watch how we do it" direction. However, I don't think Atmospheric Skull was suggesting that- perhaps that both countries are in a political mess (previous US election, war on terror et al) that each could try to pull the other out of; and while a letter of advice from some foreigner would probably be poorly received, it wouldn't be so rude or provocative if written from the latter perspective.

Why aren't there any British acts on the music tours through the swing states? Or are there? That would probably be more agreeable for the target audience, and is a more acceptable political technique. If only Martyn Joseph were more widely appreciated...

ASkull, you and Barabas blame Americans and the US government for your own political failures. The xenophobia you claim we demonstrate is nothing but your own projection. Your paranoia is pretty nasty, too, BTW.

You both are presumably voters in your country, presumably competently educated, presumably able to differentiate between your ass and a hole in the ground, so you have no excuse for your posts. If you despise your country's current relationship with the US, if you abhor its policies and actions in Iraq, get off your butts and work to change them.

I realize it's comfortable down there in your bunker, like a survivalist, with everyone outside clearly wearing the FRIEND or ENEMY label, and no gray areas. But going from bunker to tomb is only a very small, short step.

quote:
... perhaps that both countries are in a political mess (previous US election, war on terror et al) that each could try to pull the other out of...

This conjures images of two kids about to jump off of something distressingly high into some body of water of uncertain depth, each saying to the other "you first".

Meanwhile, KenWritez's political posts always remind me of this song.

I do indeed go "vrrrrrmmm vrrrrrmmm, problem solved!" You'd be surprised at the high number of political issues successflly resolved at the business end of a chain saw.

Feel my thrumming jealousy.
[In the actual song "Malcolm solves his problems with a chain saw", there's some really great screaming in the background during vvrrrrrrmmm vvrrrrrmmm. Inspirational stuff.]

[ 15. October 2004, 19:53: Message edited by: RooK ]

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

Is it as good as Happy Flowers' "Clown on Fire?"

It's not as good as the same Worms's "Me Like Hockey" (probably not actually called that but my daughter has the CD)

quote:

Have a nice election, guys.

Dude, when you locate your testicles, let me know. I absolutely refuse to believe that the British are so pathetically emasculated that they are helpless in the face of the whims of the US government. If this is really an accurate portrayal of the state of politics in the UK... good God what a bunch of fucking pussies.

[ 16. October 2004, 03:41: Message edited by: Erin ]

Believe it, Erin, believe it [Frown]

To continue with my previous post, Tony Blair has got his head shoved so far up George Bush's ondongi that he doesn't know whether it is day or night. Parliament, despite knowing that a sizeable proportion of the British public didn't want us to go to war in Iraq, rolled over and let the government walk all over them. In the aftermath of the war, we've found out that there are no WMDs and that our government manipulated intelligence to provide a causus beli. And yet Tony Blair is still in his job and that doesn't look like changing any time soon. Very depressing.

Parliament isn't the government? What the hell is it, then?

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:

It's the place where all the Members of Parliament sit and debate stuff - similar to the House of Congress (Representatives?). The Government is part of Parliament and is made up of elected Members of Parliament, but they're not the same thing.

Actually I've always found it interesting that American administrations usually choose one person from the opposing party to be Secretary of something - usually something low key, but interesting all the same. How does that work out in practice?

That's confusing. I think what you're calling "the government" is what we'd call "the cabinet."

From my perspective "the government" includes the judiciary, the elected officials (including hte president and congress), the appointed officials, and the careerr beaurocrats who run the various services (printers of money, military members, and a zillion various pencil pushers). All that together is "the government".

I don't know anything about cabinet members from the opposite party -- another 'merican will have to help you with that question.

Actually, I think you might be right - I've been writing a scientific paper all day and my brain is turning into jelly [brick wall] Can any Brits out there help me explain the system of governance of my own country? [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Cosmo (# 117) on :

There is the Legislature, namely the House of Commons and the House of Lords. They debate, vote on and amend legislation. The members of the House of Commons are elected. The members of the House of Lords are not.

There is the Executive which is made of Her Majesty's Government headed by the First Lord of the Treasury or Prime Minister. The senior members of the Government (Home Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer, Foriegn Secretary etc) form the Cabinet. The Government does not include the Civil Service or any judges (except the Lord Chancellor - see below) or policemen or armed servicemen etc etc, none of whom are elected. All members of the Government and the Cabinet must be members of Parliament, either in the Commons or Lords.

There is the Judiciary made of the judges, again none of whom are elected, merely appointed by the Lord Chancellor.

The curious bit is that some senior judges sit in the House of Lords and thus have limited legislative powers (although it is very rare for a serving Law Lord - as they are known - to vote on a parilamentary bill). They only remain in the Lords whilst they are a judge. In addition the Lord Chancellor, the senior judge, is a member of the Government and thus from the political party in power. He chooses the judges but can be sacked by the Prime Minister in the way that any other minister can be. He also loses his job if the Government switches party. The role and position of the Lord Chancellor may soon be changed.

All of these bodies are appointed by and are under the authority of the Crown, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

That's not to mention the farce that is the European Parliament, European Commission etc etc.

OK?

Please continue with the rest of the conversation.

Cosmo

[ 16. October 2004, 08:09: Message edited by: Cosmo ]

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

quote:

Well in simplistic terms that I can understand, Parliament is all of our elected representatives (MPs - Members of Parliament) from all different parties, who debate and pass legislation. Wheras the Government is the prime minister and his cabinet etc, basically those MPs who are members of the party that won the last General Election (the party that got the most seats in parliament). The government proposes legislation, but it has to be passed by a vote in parliament.

Does that make it any clearer? Maybe its wrong, but its how I understand it, and ignores complicating factors like the House of Lords, who's composition/mechanism/powers I do not fully comprehend

quote:
I absolutely refuse to believe that the British are so pathetically emasculated that they are helpless in the face of the whims of the US government. If this is really an accurate portrayal of the state of politics in the UK... good God what a bunch of fucking pussies.

But Erin, you must remember we're incapable of making up our minds. We need someone to tell us what to do. I'm sure there are some people in Clark County, Ohio, who will happily write us just before our election and tell us who to vote for.

Thanks, Cosmo and gracious Rebel - you learn a new thing every day. I didn't know Tony Blair was First Lord of the Treasury. Bet Gordon doesn't like that! [Big Grin]

Originally posted some time back by Callan
quote:
Oddly enough your comments in brackets struck me. It seems to me likely that Saddam needed to preserve his status as scourge of the US Imperialists in order to bolster his regime's shaky legitimacy and to prove to potentially dissident elements that he retained his cojones. Presumably he thought that 'doing a Gaddafi' was more of a threat to him internally than any US President might of been - ignoring the fact that Bush jr. was not a realpolitician like Bush snr. or a liberal internationalist like Clinton.

We will never know, I imagine, unless there is a draft of 'Time Has It's Epochs' or 'The Common Weal' by Saddam tucked in a bunker somewhere. I must say that, whilst I disagree with you about the merits of the war, under the circumstances it can hardly be denied that part of the responsibility for its outcome must be placed squarely at the feet of Saddam.

Mind you, in the days when I used to study diplomatic history I was a fully paid up member of the 'Soviet Union - nervous status quo power, rather than ubervillain bent on world dominance' school of thought. So those of you with more robust views on foreign policy can file me under 'hopeless appeaser'.

Saddam's been talking recently to his interrogator. Apparently he kept up the pretence that he had WMD in order to stop Iran from getting any funny ideas. He also thought that America would eventually have to do a deal with him. Guess he didn't understand the shift in American foreign policy that 9/11 wrought.

I think that the Sovs were just as terrified of us invading them as we were of them invading us.

quote:
Thanks, Cosmo and gracious Rebel - you learn a new thing every day. I didn't know Tony Blair was First Lord of the Treasury. Bet Gordon doesn't like that! [Big Grin]

I don't think he is overly fond of Tony Blair being Prime Minister either. [Big Grin]

Howdy'all

On Monday BBC Radio 2's Jeremy Vine show will be coming from Midland, TX, George W Bush's hometown.

Here is a link to the show's home page. Note that a poll has been done through the show and (I've checked this with Mrs Sioni) it's fair to say that the Radio 2 listenership is a whole lot more conservative than that of Radio 4, which in turn is probably closer to Britain's typical Shipmate. Also that this show is transmitted at lunchtime so most of the listeners are (again checked with Mrs S) at home parents over 30 and retired folks.

Posted by angloid (# 159) on :

I can't be arsed to read all four pages of this thread to see if someone (ken I hope) has said it before, but as a gentle unaggressive Guardian reader who doesn't in the least hate Americans, just aware of the damage that power-crazed US presidents can cause, I'd just like to say [a] that there are plenty of crap newspapers in Britain but the Grauniad isn't one of them [b] if the Americans believe in freedom (and a free world) why can't we at least comment -- no-on'es asking for a vote -- on matters that affect all of us [c] the Grauniad's affectionate nickname was given it in the old hot-metal days when it was renowned for typos: these are now rare and no more common than in any other papers. But I take the point that no-one, especially provincial Americans, is going to take much notice of a foreign newspaper or its readers. After all, most people in this country (78% anti-Bush) don't take notice of the predominantly right-wing and pro-Bush British press.

Angloid, had you read the previous four pages, you'd have seen your point B was repeatedly answered.

quote:
I think that the Sovs were just as terrified of us invading them as we were of them invading us.

True enough. And even moreso of nuking them. The US never signed anything promising no-first-strike.

quote:
Angloid, had you read the previous four pages, you'd have seen your point B was repeatedly answered.

What's more, if you'd read the fucking thread, we might give a shit what you have to say about the subject.

quote:
What's more, if you'd read the fucking thread, we might give a shit what you have to say about the subject.

Or maybe not.

Posted by dinghy sailor (# 8507) on :

quote:
Writing to a Clark County voter is a chance to explain how US policies effect you personally
I never knew that writing to Clark County was required for me to personally exist?

{If you personally existed you would get your UBB code correct.}

[ 17. October 2004, 08:12: Message edited by: Níghtlamp ]

Posted by angloid (# 159) on :

I realise that Hell is dangerous territory for Guardian readers, but some of us have lives to live and can't waste time ploughing through pages and pages of other people's rants. I don't have to read them and you don't have to read mine, so let's leave it at that.

quote:
quote:
I absolutely refuse to believe that the British are so pathetically emasculated that they are helpless in the face of the whims of the US government. If this is really an accurate portrayal of the state of politics in the UK... good God what a bunch of fucking pussies.

But Erin, you must remember we're incapable of making up our minds. We need someone to tell us what to do. I'm sure there are some people in Clark County, Ohio, who will happily write us just before our election and tell us who to vote for.
Indeed.

I will note that Tony Blair is really popular in this country.

Charlotte

quote:
Amazing Grace said:
quote:
In this case, the lobbying idea is wooly-minded enough that it would swing things exactly opposite of the way that apparently was intended.
Could, not would. Not many will bother to write these letters (I won't be writing) and most people who receive them will probably ignore them. Only the very stupidest recipients will say to themselves "if these people want X, I'll vote for Y; that'll show them" as no-one will see how they vote. Most will say "well, that's their view but I'm voting for X".

quote:
Charlotte, I don't particularly support the Guardian scheme but saying you think it's a stupid idea doesn't make it true, even in Hell. Come on, you can do better.

The peevedness across the political spectrum of the Americans at the prospect of this scheme should have been your first farkin' clue.

I have seen at least two people on the ship whom I regard as very intelligent (um, if somewhat contrary) getting their backs up for Bush as a result of British election-nannying. That should have been another huge steaming pile of Cluely Goodness.

I'm absolutely not surprised at their reaction. I know the environment. Numerous of your countrymen seem to have sussed these basics out, for which I salute them. The logical conclusion is that your own powers of observation are seriously lacking.

I have said more than "it's an amazingly stupid idea", and you snipped it. I have also seen you similarly disregard others who have been more eloquent. So, yeah, I'll get RIGHT on that. *snork* If you want a Purgatorial-style debate, grasshopper, you need to at least pretend to be listening.

The way to participate in the US elections is to move to the US and take citizenship. We're hardly alone in restricting that sort of activity to the citizenry. That's the way things work. Deal with it. Some of the Get out the Vote (or election monitoring - I heard that Carter will be sending observers to Florida, and jolly glad I am of that, too) type orgs may allow contributions from foreigners, or you can find out if any of the UK parties is officially* aiding the Dems** and send them a couple of quid.

Or chocolate. You could send Green and Blacks to the poor harangued Clark County voters. That would be actually useful. Don't try to get political with them, they're sick of that right now.

You'll get your own election pretty soon. Please don't do something that might screw up ours. It really is that close a lot of places.

* Does anyone know if this sort of thing happened before Major's attempt to get GHWB re-elected? Which, of course, Clinton returned with interest.

** I'd also hope that the people actually on the ground had enough understanding of "how things work" to avoid pissing off the electorate, which I haven't seen from the people here who think this scheme is even remotely close to being a good idea.

Tinkerty-tonk, and I meant that to sting,

Charlotte

quote:

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Way to win friends and influence people, dood!

Charlotte

Posted by Just Ruth (# 13) on :

quote:
quote:

But Alan, you're married to an American ... you can just ask her how you should vote when the UK holds its next elections. [Big Grin]

More importantly, he still has time (I think, depends on whether she is still registered to vote somewhere and has time to mail off an absentee ballot) to tell her how to vote!

(Excuse me while I wander off to google if and how ex-pats married to furriners register to vote...)

Better hurry. Absentee ballots are already being cast.

quote:
Originally posted by angloid:
I realise that Hell is dangerous territory for Guardian readers, but some of us have lives to live and can't waste time ploughing through pages and pages of other people's rants. I don't have to read them and you don't have to read mine, so let's leave it at that.

Then STFU.

quote:
Hell is dangerous territory for Guardian readers,

No. Hell is dangerous territory for stupid people. It would appear that you still qualify as being at risk.

quote:
some of us have lives to live and can't waste time ploughing through pages and pages of other people's rants

Then you don't need to post here. If you can't take the time to read the thread, then go find something else to do. But don't jump into the middle of a conversation and expect to be anything other than ridiculed. Because if you act like a fuckwit, you'll get called on it. This is Hell, not the penny sweet shoppe.

Fuckwit.

Posted by Gort. (# 6855) on :

[Killing me] Remember Rook: There can be only one thing worse than stupid people...and that's stupid people near you.

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
More importantly, he still has time (I think, depends on whether she is still registered to vote somewhere and has time to mail off an absentee ballot) to tell her how to vote!

(Excuse me while I wander off to google if and how ex-pats married to furriners register to vote...)

And from his avatar there was me thinking Alan was a Dr. Evil mad scientist type of person.

Oh, you said foreigners. I thought you meant furriers. My bad.

Oh, our dear Dr Alan is indeed an evil scientist type and now he is also married to whatever the Scottish equivalent of 'furriner' is.

Mwahaaaahaaaa.

Posted by MarkthePunk (# 683) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:

Indeed. Tomorrow I'm going to vote for Bush to spite Guardian readers and other fer'in Comm'rnists. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by MarkthePunk:
quote:

Indeed. Tomorrow I'm going to vote for Bush to spite Guardian readers and other fer'in Comm'rnists. [Big Grin]
D'ya reckon that if I spam a few Yanks who post on here (RuthW, RooK, etc) and tell 'em to vote for Kerry, they will vote for Bush too?

quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:
D'ya reckon that if I spam a few Yanks who post on here (RuthW, RooK, etc) and tell 'em to vote for Kerry, they will vote for Bush too?

Hmmm.

KERRY IS EVEN BETTER THAN HERBAL VIAGRA.

CALVARY GREETINGS FROM THE CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC. VOTE FOR KERRY.

GET MORE XXX ACTION. VOTE FOR CLINTON, uh, I mean, KERRY!

Just to add a little more spice, here are some of the replies the Guardian received.

I particularly like this one:

quote:
Please be advised that I have forwarded this to the CIA and FBI.
United States

Pure comedic genius.

quote:
Just to add a little more spice, here are some of the replies the Guardian received.

I just want to say I did NOT write this reply:

Real Americans aren't interested in your pansy-ass, tea-sipping opinions. If you want to save the world, begin with your own worthless corner of it.
Texas, USA

quote:

[Killing me] [Overused]
These are magnificent! I haven't loved Americans so much since I watched Band of Brothers!

quote:

I can assure you that no matter what you or anyone else does, it will not affect my vote in the American presidential election.

And what's all this stuff about Brits and bad teeth?

quote:

a) RooK isn't a Yank.
b) I wouldn't vote for Bush even if my life depended on it - because my liberty and pursuit of happiness already seem to be on the line.

quote:
Originally posted by Just Ruth:
I wouldn't vote for Bush even if my life depended on it - because my liberty and pursuit of happiness already seem to be on the line.

You're secretly attracted to him, aren't you?

[Killing me]

You're projecting, KenWritez.

Found this reply:

quote:
Consider this: stay out of American electoral politics. Unless you would like a company of US Navy Seals - Republican to a man - to descend upon the offices of the Guardian, bag the lot of you, and transport you to Guantanamo Bay, where you can share quarters with some lonely Taliban shepherd boys.

Well isn't that nice? Some uppity little sod thinks that just because he gets a letter he doesn't want his country's military "elite" (excuse inverted commas) should come over to the Guardian offices and round them up for Legal Limbo.

The editorial team of the guardian seem to have removed the phrase "Yee-haw" from the end of this letter. Oh, has anyone heard of Tom Lehrer?

quote:

Typically we are caricatured with yellowing teeth sticking out at right angles to our faces. It could be a general opinion, or it could be to do with the historic Royal Navy, who acquired the nickname "limeys" when they were prescribed citrus fruit for scurvy, one of the symptoms of which is loosening of the teeth. The stereotype has probably worsened since our dental system got screwed up.

quote:
Well isn't that nice? Some uppity little sod thinks that just because he gets a letter he doesn't want his country's military "elite" (excuse inverted commas) should come over to the Guardian offices and round them up for Legal Limbo.

If you tea-sipping pansy-asses hadn't disarmed yourselves, you wouldn't have to worry about casual invasion of your newspapers by political interns (Republican to a man!) pretending to be special forces operators.

[ 18. October 2004, 07:31: Message edited by: Scot ]

quote:
quote:

Typically we are caricatured with yellowing teeth sticking out at right angles to our faces. It could be a general opinion, or it could be to do with the historic Royal Navy, who acquired the nickname "limeys" when they were prescribed citrus fruit for scurvy, one of the symptoms of which is loosening of the teeth. The stereotype has probably worsened since our dental system got screwed up.
On the other hand, we can laugh at American over-prefect teeth. I can't be the only one who turned the contrast down on my TV to see the Osmonds' rows of artificially white, straight choppers still visible through the gloom?

And just look at Barney the purple dinosaur - an American set of perfect white teeth in his smiling mouth. Very odd, if you think about it!

It is a bit sad that some people will put their kids through lengthy and uncomfortable treatment for cosmetic reasons. And that society should think the worse of them if they don't.

It must be all the tannin from the cups of tea we drink, together with a severe dental reaction to marmite.

Why are you 'Mericanos getting so uptight about it? You could always just throw away the missive or reply in a suitable rude fashion.

When you stand before the Lord in glory and he says

'Why on earth did you vote for that loser, Bush?'

Are you seriously going to say

'Well, to be honest, some British $%$&*£"$^ sent me a letter telling me to vote for Kerry'?

Vote Kerry. Your eternal happiness depends on it.

C

Correction, I should have said

'Why did you vote for that loser Bush?'

The Almighty is rather better at punctuation than I am, I suspect.

C

If the British are this desperate to have a say in our politics, I think we should just make it official. Blair will be the first governor of the State of England.

On the contrary, Erin. Kerry will become Governor General of the re-formed American colony. Don't worry, we do it to all our ex-colonies: grant them independance, encourage democracy, then tell them how to vote. It is a cunning plot and eventually they all realise how much better it was to be in the British empire in the first place.

C

quote:

It is a bit sad that some people will put their kids through lengthy and uncomfortable treatment for cosmetic reasons. And that society should think the worse of them if they don't.

A few years ago my cousin had a brace which included clip-on plastic appendages which sat outside the mouth. It was all the rage in California.

Me; I am the classic Limey/Pom/whatever. I drink six cups of stewed tea daily, my teeth are brown, and I never get toothache. I ascribe this to the coating created by the tannin. I also own suits made out of natural fabrics, and which fit me.

quote:
If you tea-sipping pansy-asses hadn't disarmed yourselves, you wouldn't have to worry about casual invasion of your newspapers by political interns (Republican to a man!) pretending to be special forces operators.

Our special forces are harder than your special forces!

Ner-ner ner-ner ner!

Look: Duchess' future husband posted. How can she find this man?:

quote:
Real Americans aren't interested in your pansy-ass, tea-sipping opinions. If you want to save the world, begin with your own worthless corner of it.
Texas, USA

I love this thread. Can we have it made a sticky? It's the funniest thing I've read on the internet for ages.

Does anyone remember the Big Book of British Smiles from The Simpsons?

quote:
Originally posted by Sir George Grey.:
Me; I am the classic Limey/Pom/whatever. I drink six cups of stewed tea daily, my teeth are brown, and I never get toothache. I ascribe this to the coating created by the tannin. I also own suits made out of natural fabrics, and which fit me.

[Overused]

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Look: Duchess' future husband posted. How can she find this man?:

quote:
Texas, USA

My dear lady, I guess you have not kept up with the TDA thread 411 on me. Don't you keep up on the latest gossip on the ship? You disappoint me. I thought you cared!
[Waterworks]

[ps, nope, I ain't tell you. I don't need anymore conservative men, thank you and AMEN.]

[ 18. October 2004, 16:06: Message edited by: duchess ]

quote:
Originally posted by Sir George Grey.:
quote:

A few years ago my cousin had a brace which included clip-on plastic appendages which sat outside the mouth. It was all the rage in California.

Crest strips work fairly well matey.

quote:
I love this thread. Can we have it made a sticky? It's the funniest thing I've read on the internet for ages.

Does anyone remember the Big Book of British Smiles from The Simpsons?

I do. The dentist shows it to Bart after Bart says he flosses daily:

"Don't turn my office into a House of Lies!"

All this passive-aggressive dental boasting from Americans is confusing me.

Look, if the seventh best-selling daily newspaper in a country about one sixth our size, that most of us find slightly tacky and old-fashioned (but a fun place to go for a booze-break) decided to voice an opinion about a British election, can you imangine how much fuss there would be from the Brits here?

That's right. None at all. Its not so much that we wouldn't care as that we wouldn't even notice. It would be well undereneath our radar.

Would be be offended if someone told us that the Sydsvenska Dagbladet of Malmo suggested that readers write to voters in Charles Kennedy's constituency? Do we get riled at Belgian opnions on Michael Howard?

Oh I don't know, Ken. Belgium opinions on politics might be worth hearing. They have a lot going for them, the Belgians. Beer at 7 am, for a start.

C

The Guardian response page ( here, I think ) has a spread of opinions- I wonder whether this is proportionally representative, or whether they picked the two or three bits of positive feedback out of a mountain of vitriol (and people telling us we'd be speaking German but for ol' grandpappy...)?

It seems that it could be the people who were inclined to vote Democrat anyway that might think the campaign was a good idea, and both the Republicans and the undecided might react negatively.

quote:
Crest strips work fairly well matey.

Thanks Duchess. But I don't want white teeth. It just wouldn't be right. Too pure. My teeth should be honest, and stained with original sin (or Taj Mahal Original, at any rate).

[Your UBB was stained with your moronitude.]

[ 18. October 2004, 18:27: Message edited by: RooK ]

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
All this passive-aggressive dental boasting from Americans is confusing me.

Look, if the seventh best-selling daily newspaper in a country about one sixth our size, that most of us find slightly tacky and old-fashioned (but a fun place to go for a booze-break) decided to voice an opinion about a British election, can you imangine how much fuss there would be from the Brits here?
That's right. None at all.

Depends on the issue. I could see an almighty rucus if the Dutch launched a pro-Europe campaign for example.

Posted by alienfromzog (# 5327) on :

I've been reading the replies on the Guardian website. It's all quite sad really.

I happen to think that Kerry would be far better for the world at large than Bush but you'd think that the Americans would finally realise that getting rid of Bush is in their own interest. They should vote for Kerry out of selfishness!

Why?

Well it's like this;
The economy. The Clinton administration turned a massive deficit into a surplus. How? By carefully planning from the beginning. The reduction in a borrowing and thus in interest rates was worth far more to most middle class voters than any of the tax cuts that Bush has given and promised. Furthermore, under Bush the deficit is back with a vengence and unemployment is out of control.
Healthcare. I am a doctor (almost). I have seen the NHS at it's best and worst and I have seen medicine in various countries including Africa. I read the transcript of the last debate and I can tell you this; Bush knows nothing about healthcare. I don't know how good Kerry's plan is but given that the number of people not covered by health insurance (including children) has increased in the last four years having been falling significantly for the previous 8, it's not too difficult to work out.

That's just a couple of issues. It's incredible how upset some of these people have gotten both writing to the Guardian and on this thread. How can it possibly be a big deal for someone to express an opinion? I have no objection to someone suggesting how I should vote if they give me good reasons and if they accept that I will make up my own mind in the end and I don't have to tell anyone who I'm voting for if I don't want to.

I may be an ignorant Brit and have no right to interfere in American politics (according to one person who wrote to the Guardian, I could be arrested as a spy) but come on! I mean you have to wonder why the American people voted for Bush in the first place, and then you remember, they didn't.
[Disappointed]

quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
I've been reading the replies on the Guardian website. It's all quite sad really.

I happen to think that Kerry would be far better for the world at large than Bush but you'd think that the Americans would finally realise that getting rid of Bush is in their own interest. They should vote for Kerry out of selfishness!

In case you haven't figured it out, we don't really give a flying fuck who you think our next president should be. In much the same way that none of you give a flying fuck who we think your next PM should be.

Jeez. It's not rocket science, people.

Posted by alienfromzog (# 5327) on :

I was expecting Erin to reply.

Insightful as ever I see.

[Killing me]

A bit Purgatorial, I know, but are there any USA citizens who do care who the next UK prime minister is (irrespective of whether you'd actually do anything about it)? Why, or why not?

I care that you get the Prime Minister =you= want, but only because I care that Great Britain is a well-governed country able to live in peace both at home and abroad.

Years ago, when I was in Greece, I joined in an all-night vigil to pray for the election of a new Greek Prime Minister. On the ticket were a Mason, a socialist, and a communist. The socialist won. He stayed in office for many years. Greece is still on the map.

I hope "There'll always be an England."

Posted by kiwigoldfish (# 5512) on :

quote:
A bit Purgatorial, I know, but are there any USA citizens who do care who the next UK prime minister is (irrespective of whether you'd actually do anything about it)? Why, or why not?

I would guess that (in private, if not in public) Kerry and Bush both have their preferences.

quote:
If the British are this desperate to have a say in our politics, I think we should just make it official. Blair will be the first governor of the State of England.

Heck, you might as well. Then we can all vote for Hilary in 2008.

Posted by Kyralessa (# 4568) on :

quote:

No, don't care a hang. Who's their current prime minister, anyway?

No, no idea who's running, what the parties are, what's at stake, nothing about the British prime ministerial race whatsoever. (I have the impression Blair's on the way out, but that may just be because the Guardian is the only British rag I read.) And I don't see any reason to find out who their next PM will be. Had the British not joined us in Iraq...then we'd just have gone to Iraq without the British. *shrug* After all...we had Poland. [Big Grin]

[And trust me, ken, the "fuss" is mostly confined to SoF. No American I've talked to has heard of the Guardian, let alone its campaign.]

[ 19. October 2004, 02:35: Message edited by: Kyralessa ]

alienfromzog, the latest US unemployment stats reveal a steady 5.4% figure, which is decidely not 'out of control', rendering the rest of your post suspect by association.

quote:

[Killing me]

Thanks for the link. You might see "Berkeley, California" in the not too distant future. [Snigger]

Charlotte

I thought this was priceless:

quote:
My dear, beloved Brits,
I understand the Guardian is sponsoring a service where British citizens write to Americans to advise them on how to vote. Thank heavens! I was adrift in a sea of confusion and you are my beacon of hope!

Feel free to respond to this email with your advice. Please keep in mind that I am something of an anglophile, so this is not confrontational. Please remember, too, that I am merely an American. That means I am not very bright. It means I have no culture or sense of history. It also means that I am barely literate, so please don't use big, fancy words.

Set me straight, folks!
Dayton, Ohio

Who said Americans don't do irony? [Big Grin]

Posted by nicolemrw (# 28) on :

i've been staying off this thread like poison, partly because i don't need the agravation, partly because i thought it was a tempast in a teapot, since i hadn't heard anything about it anywhere else.

however, its just made cnn so now everybody's going to hear about it.

stupid, stupid assholes. [Mad]

in a race this tight, this may have just given bush the edge.

idiots. absofuckinglutly imbicilic idiots.

Posted by Emma. (# 3571) on :

quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
partly because i thought it was a tempast in a teapot,

saw my name and then realised it wasnt me... [Angel]

CNN continues to enjoy a decreasing viewership. If any of the mainstream Media were going to have an exposure impact, CNN would certainly manifest the least.

Posted by Joykins (# 5820) on :

Had fun reading the replies. I wondered how many times the phrases "would be speaking German if it weren't for us", "chestnuts out of the fire" and "bad teeth" would all be used and I wasn't disappointed.
quote:

When looking for a new lapdog, do you want one that's already housetrained or one you will have to train yourself?

Joy

[who should not attempt manual UBB]

[ 19. October 2004, 20:56: Message edited by: Joykins ]

quote:
CNN continues to enjoy a decreasing viewership. If any of the mainstream Media were going to have an exposure impact, CNN would certainly manifest the least.

CNN, being the most liberal of the main non-print news outlets in this country (aside from NPR), is the one least likely to be watched by the sort of idiots who would vote for Bush just because a bunch of foolish Brits asked some people in Ohio to vote for Kerry.

quote:

As stereotypes go, it seems about on a par with insisting that all Americans wear stetsons and call one another "pardner".

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to my castle to drink some tea.

quote:
quote:

CNN, being the most liberal of the main non-print news outlets in this country (aside from NPR), is the one least likely to be watched by the sort of idiots who would vote for Bush just because a bunch of foolish Brits asked some people in Ohio to vote for Kerry.
I don't disagree with you, MT. My point, was that CNN's audience is just plain small.

quote:
My point, was that CNN's audience is just plain small.

True since there's not much market in this country for liberal media. Pace what some have averred.

The story is also in today's New York Times.

A kind word for those of you who still think this a good idea:

You are lazy and ignorant--as President Bush has shown, these qualities are dangerous when combined with an impulse to act. If you had the initiative to do a little research into Ohio, you would know that the state has "closed primaries." This means that only voters who have declared an affiliation with a political party are permitted a vote in that party's primary election. Anyone declaring themselves "independent" has chosen to forgo any say in selecting the candidate of either party (and this is a two party system, to all intents and purposes). There are a many of reasons why people make this self-limiting choice, but common among these are that they see political parties as corrupt and themselves as "rugged individuals" acting independently of outside influence.

Just the sort of people who are likely to respond extremely negatively to random contacts from foreigners attempting to direct their voting.

And the Guardian chose only registered independents to include on its mailing list.

A little research, a few moments of googling are all that's required, would reveal to you that most of these registered independents already intend to vote for Bush or Kerry. Only a tiny minority are undecided. What sort of people do you think these voters are? Do you imagine that they are broadly familiar with geography, history and current events and are evaluating the propaganda from the Democrats and Republicans on the basis of that extensive knowledge? Do you suppose that a little bit of additional data from a concerned citizen of the UK will be all they need to tip their vote in the desired direction?

Anyone with the temerity to actually write to a Clark County registered independent as part of the Guardian campaign might do well to read a little bit about the history and culture of Ohio as part of their preparation. Evidently, Antonia Frasier and Richard Dawkins did not, or they would not have written the clumsy, inflammatory letters that they shared with the Guardian.

Ogden Nash, for God's sake! What the fuck was she thinking?

You think that you are thoughtful and clever, but you are lazy, ignorant and very, very stupid. Not many people would cast their vote one way just to spite some jackass who sent them a note telling them to vote the other way, but if you wanted to find that tiny group of people, looking for undecided independents in Ohio would be a pretty good start.

If Bush wins again, I will hold you personally responsible, you degenerate fuckwits.

jerry:

once again i am reduced to this:

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

i'm starting to wonder if maybe its a lack of knowledge of american history on british part. i mean, judging by sophs post in heaven, its not taught much.

do you people realize that we fought a long and bloody war for independance from you, and another one in 1812, and this practically defines our national mythology???

and now you want to tell us how to run our government, and who to elect? good god, people, its damn near enough to make _me_ want to vote for bush just for spite! [Eek!]

[ 20. October 2004, 16:41: Message edited by: nicolemrw ]

Posted by hedonism_bot (# 5027) on :

I can only apologise sincerely for the shrill and hectoring portion of my countrymen who have been indulging in this risible behaviour. And if it's any consolation, we all find Richard Dawkins* and Lady Antonia Fraser** utterly ludicrous too.

* Biologist. Knows a lot about how fish grow legs. Knows absolutely fuck-all about anything else. Is not in the least bit deterred from commenting on anything else by this.

** Socialite. Claims to be radical socialist, writes chocolate-box history books called "Dearest Darling Duchesses" and suchlike.

quote:
Originally posted by hedonism_bot:
I can only apologise sincerely for the shrill and hectoring portion of my countrymen who have been indulging in this risible behaviour.

No problem. "Stupidity is more common than hydrogen," and every day too many people of every possible group (me included) demonstrate the truth of this. If I held you all responsible for Antonia Fraser and Dawkins, you'd have excuse to hold me responsible for Fred Phelps or Noam Chomsky.

quote:
** [Antonia Fraser] Socialite. Claims to be radical socialist, writes chocolate-box history books called "Dearest Darling Duchesses" and suchlike.

Isn't "radical socialist" and "socialite" two very opposite extremes? Also, what are chocolate-box history books? Extremely simplified pop culture history?

Good to know that Celebrity Fuckwits Spouting Off on, well, damn near anything but especially politics is not limited to the U.S.

Come to think of it, Celebrity Fuckwits Spouting Off might make a good television show. We can change the name to a more "politically correct" title such as "60 Minutes", "20/20", or "This Week with Cokie Roberts and Sam Donaldson".

Or Cross Fire. And then someone like... oh, say, Jon Stewart can go on the show and call Tucker Carlson a dick.

Wouldn't that be lovely?

quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez
Isn't "radical socialist" and "socialite" two very opposite extremes? Also, what are chocolate-box history books? Extremely simplified pop culture history?

Not over here, I'm afraid - the far left is mad up almost exclusively of toffs. I belive that the Workers' Revolutionary Party once had a working-class member, but they threw him out for using the wrong knife for the fish course. And Lady Antonia Fraser's books tend be composed of endless gushing about upper-class women of days gone by.

{Your inability to do quotes is quite amazing why don't you use this "" button?}

[ 20. October 2004, 21:11: Message edited by: Níghtlamp ]

quote:
Not over here, I'm afraid - the far left is mad up almost exclusively of toffs. I belive that the Workers' Revolutionary Party once had a working-class member, but they threw him out for using the wrong knife for the fish course.

And Lady Antonia Fraser's books tend be composed of endless gushing about upper-class women of days gone by.

WTH? How do they square their elevated social standing with the stereotypical socialist agenda of "nobs against the wall!" come the Revolution?

In Leninist jargon: the lumpenproletariat in a bourgeois society have developed a false consciousness and will only come to a realisation of class interest by actions of the revolutionary vanguard elite. In Redgrave/Pinter speak: of course, the poor dears just don't know how to think, and so of course it falls to people like us to tell them what's best for them...

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
WTH? How do they square their elevated social standing with the stereotypical socialist agenda of "nobs against the wall!" come the Revolution?

The same thing happens on this side of the pond. Every member of the Weather Underground in the 1970s came from a very wealthy family.

Moo

quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
i'm starting to wonder if maybe its a lack of knowledge of american history on british part. i mean, judging by sophs post in heaven, its not taught much.

do you people realize that we fought a long and bloody war for independance from you, and another one in 1812, and this practically defines our national mythology???

The letter I intend to post/send to the Guardian has the phrasing "While "1776 and all that" may be a footnote in your history books, let me assure you that it is a central part of ours".

The less educated among our citizens bookmark the "special relationship" with "we pulled your chestnuts out of the fire in WWII". Not a statement I would agree with, but a widely held opinion all the same and not one that will allow for such meddling to be taken kindly.

We are not part of the Commonwealth. We were your colony once, a long time (for us) ago, and your idiot government at the time fucked it up with us, so we went off on our own. Deal.

Like Jerry, if Bush takes Ohio by a slim margin, and that turns out to be crucial in the EC, I will hold you lot who think it's even remotely close to being a good idea personally responsible. You want the privileges, you take the freakin' responsibility that goes with it.

Yours from the Big Blue State,

Charlotte

Posted by Joykins (# 5820) on :

quote:
The less educated among our citizens bookmark the "special relationship" with "we pulled your chestnuts out of the fire in WWII". Not a statement I would agree with, but a widely held opinion all the same and not one that will allow for such meddling to be taken kindly.

Eh, it's "pulled your chestnuts out of the fire twice", isn't it? (Well, in a sense, we did, but that was because we had a lot more young bodies and came to the fight late both times).

I tried, tried, tried to read the Antonia Fraser letter. I couldn't get through it. It's as fucking unreadable as her biographies. It's stylistically--what's that word you Brits use, twee?

Joy

quote:
Originally posted by Joykins:
I tried, tried, tried to read the Antonia Fraser letter. I couldn't get through it. It's as fucking unreadable as her biographies. It's stylistically--what's that word you Brits use, twee?

Twee will do, if we're feeling kind.

quote:
Originally posted by Joykins:
quote:

Eh, it's "pulled your chestnuts out of the fire twice", isn't it? (Well, in a sense, we did, but that was because we had a lot more young bodies and came to the fight late both times).

Joy

Antonia Fraser is married to Harold ............. Pinter. Cut the lady some slack please.

I'd say her prose is self-indulgent rather than twee, but this isn't a LitCrit thread.

quote:
In Leninist jargon: the lumpenproletariat in a bourgeois society have developed a false consciousness and will only come to a realisation of class interest by actions of the revolutionary vanguard elite. In Redgrave/Pinter speak: of course, the poor dears just don't know how to think, and so of course it falls to people like us to tell them what's best for them...
I think that it was George Bernard Shaw who summed up the attitude of the British socialist intelligentsia when he remarked: "I am not a friend of the working class. I want to abolish them and replace them with sensible people". [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sias
Antonia Fraser is married to Harold ............. Pinter. Cut the lady some slack please.

Why? Is this a "she's suffered enough already" argument?

Incidentally, I'm suprised that Pinter has so far declined to favour the voters of Cook County with one of his pithy poems. I'm sure that they would react favourably to being told that they are "the shittiest shits who ever shat shit"...

quote:
"the shittiest shits who ever shat shit"...
That's shitten well written! Did Harold Pinter write that, or did you, hedonism_bot?

I =love= stuff like that, truly Rabelaisian!

It was a parody of Pinter's rather unique poetic style, and not an unfair one (this is the man, after all, who once used the phrase "the awful pong of death" in a poem and has so far failed to die of embarrassment.) His usual m.o. is to churn out a few lines of expletive-ridden drivel, often of Sadian repetitiveness, and then complain bitterly about censorship and police states when the Independent decline the opportunity to print it on their front page.

In fact, for those who enjoy a good laugh, here is old Harold's very latest masterpiece.

[Killing me] wonderful, hedonism_bot!

That's almost on a par with Rabelais' famous rondeau , that

"Yesterday, shitting, I did know
The profit to my arse I owe..."
Gargantua and Pantagruel Book I, Chapter 13.

But returning to our muttons, I do not think that Americans from the "Rust Belt" of Ohio where unemployment is so rampant will take kindly to advice from Dames who dwell in Great Houses. "How'd =they= get so rich?" will be the question.

quote:
Originally posted by leetle masha
I do not think that Americans from the "Rust Belt" of Ohio where unemployment is so rampant will take kindly to advice from Dames who dwell in Great Houses

True. If they enjoyed being patronised by condescending aristocrats then they'd be firm Kerry voters in the first place.

quote:
True. If they enjoyed being patronised by condescending aristocrats then they'd be firm Bush voters in the first place.

I fixed your post.

No, they'd be firm Bush voters if they enjoyed being patronised by condescending aristocrats pretending to be good ol' boys.

Owing to the fact that residents of the Rust Belt are probably firm Kerry voters in the first place, a condescending aristocrat pretending to be a good old boy still would not confuse anyone, dear Brits.

A condescending aristocrat is a condescending aristocrat. We have our own variation of those over here, and they tell me to vote both ways. I vote my conscience, and as Louise says so beautifully, "De'il colick the waime o' ye!"

quote:
From hed_bot:
In Leninist jargon: the lumpenproletariat in a bourgeois society have developed a false consciousness and will only come to a realisation of class interest by actions of the revolutionary vanguard elite.

Lenin never got laid much, did he? Although if Antonia Fraser is any standard of the intellectual flaccidity of Bolshie girls....

quote:
From hed_bot:
[...] "the awful pong of death"

"The awful original Atari 8-bit videogame of death"?
Harold P's "special relationship"

Or, as I rewrite it:

My poems go off
The legs go numb
The heads go blank

The arms go stiff
The feet go tired
The light goes out

The heads go off
The legs go off
Your time is up

The dead are lucky
The lights go out
The dead read no more
'Cos they don't pay the electric bill

A man bows down before another man
And says, "I wasted thirty seconds of my life readin' that crap?"

I have to confess, this whole Harold Pinter/Anotnia Frasier thing I find endlessly fascinating, like watching ants eating each other in combat, albeit I have no idea what Antonia Fraser would look like trotting home with Harold's severed arm clutched in her jaws.

From Pinter's website, "Harold Pinter has been made a Companion of Honour in the Queen’s birthday honours list for services to Literature."

The Queen decided to invite him to her birthday party because she likes to read him whilst sitting on the pot?!

[You code like you vote: stupidly.]

[ 21. October 2004, 22:37: Message edited by: Sarkycow ]

quote:
I have to confess, this whole Harold Pinter/Anotnia Frasier thing I find endlessly fascinating

I have always thought that their domestic life would make a marvellous sitcom. It might go something like this...

Scene : The dining room of a luxurious townhouse in Eaton Square. HAROLD is breakfasting on Multi-Cheerios and reading the newspaper. He occasionally looks up to grimace with rage. Enter ANTONIA.

ANTONIA : Good morning, dear.

HAROLD : Shitting shitty shit from a shitting arse full of shit!

ANTONIA : That's a nice poem, dear. Are you going to send it to the Independent on Sunday?

HAROLD : It's not a shitting poem, woman. I'm swearing at the newspaper. That woman has to go!

ANTONIA : But Mrs Thatcher has gone, dear. Don't you remember? You and Salman and Tariq wrote an open letter to the Guardian demanding the overthrow of her corrupt fascist junta, and only nine years later she was out of Downing Street.

HAROLD : I don't mean her, you silly cow. I mean the Queen. She's gone and made me a Companion of shitting Honour.

ANTONIA : That's nice.

HAROLD : Nice? There's nothing shitting nice about it! Now we'll have to go to Buckingham shitting palace and kowtow to the totally outmoded, puppet monarchy that is just a shitting front for Bush's illegitimate Pinochet-backed dictatorship!

ANTONIA : Ooh, I do hope Deborah Devonshire will be there. You know, she once told me the most charming little story about her ancestor, the third Duchess : apparently, she once asked one of her ladies-in-waiting to pass her the pincushion, and she misheard and passed her an actual cushion. Isn't that fascinating?

Pause

HAROLD : Shit.

...and so on.

Posted by Ultraspike (# 268) on :

Well, looks like The Guardian has called it quits, but not before garnering more votes for Bush. [Snigger]

You really know how to salt a wound, dontcha, Ultraspike?

I notice that the local branch of the Democrats, as it were, advised the Guardian it was a stupid thing to do. If Bush wins by a nose in Ohio, and the election by one state...

What on earth possessed them? Quite apart from the obvious objections, when one is considering approaching citizens of one of the most devoutly Christian nations on earth, why the hell did they think Dawkins would be well received? Perhaps their next ripping wheeze will be to get Gene Robinson to advise the Nigerians in their next election. Tossers, the lot of them. Lenin would have had them shot for being objectively counter-revolutionary.

quote:
If Bush wins by a nose in Ohio, and the election by one state...

I'll throw the biggest party I can!

quote:
What on earth possessed them?

Stupidity.

quote:
[...] why the hell did they think Dawkins would be well received? Perhaps their next ripping wheeze will be to get Gene Robinson to advise the Nigerians in their next election.

On a more Purgy note, it's ignorance of US culture by the Guardian editor and letter writers. Being on the Ship has taught me that Brits are not Americans with odd accents who live overseas. British and US culture have some common references, but many differences as well, and trying to comprehend and sympathize with the differences is difficult, I think in part because each expects to find congruency in the others who look and live so similarly.

[ 22. October 2004, 20:52: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

After election, I expect somebody to remember that I said Kerry would win and should he win, pls remember me and throw a lot of alcoholic chocolate in my direction. I will need it. Thank you.

-Sgt. Queen Duchess

Posted by Zeke (# 3271) on :

I hope people are joking, but maybe there really are people stupid enough to change their vote because they are annoyed at someone.

quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
I hope people are joking, but maybe there really are people stupid enough to change their vote because they are annoyed at someone.

It is worrying, but possible- if they're not too bothered about politics, and couldn't be bothered to use their vote, and then they get a letter from someone they've never met telling them they think he should listen to them because they obviously haven't thought much about it... That might do it.

quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:

If they are so "smart" as to vote for the Democrats in the first place, won't they be smart enough not to change their vote because of the cranks at the Guardian?

Posted by GeordieDownSouth (# 4100) on :

According to their own off the record politicians:

quote:
One senior local politician, speaking off the record to avoid offending his neighbours, said: "They picked the wrong county for many reasons. One is, we're very parochial. When people talk about The Guardian of London, they think you mean London, Ohio, which is in the next-door county. Another is, we have some issues with literacy round here."

being too smart isn't going to be a problem [Eek!]

Posted by Divine Outlaw Dwarf (# 2252) on :

As a Guardian reader I think that you should vote for neither of them. So there you are, Guardian readers, like Anglicans, do not speak with a united voice.

Well President bush does trust those pesky people from overseas so we can't see this web site.

The dim bulbs at the Grauniad have gone on to confirm just how stupid and clueless they really are. They called for the assassination of Bush...

Which would leave... Cheney in charge.

Bright, bright idea, guys.

Of course, they've issued an apology for the assassination thing, but they can't take back the conclusive evidence of their imbecility.

quote:
The dim bulbs at the Grauniad have gone on to confirm just how stupid and clueless they really are. They called for the assassination of Bush...

I don't know about US papers but British ones - even evil authoritarian conservative hate-sheets like the Mail - publish both editorial columns that are the views of the paper (in at least some sense) and opinion columns that are the views of the writer. They are usually pretty clearly marked out as "opinion".

The Granudain does this more than most. Every day it'll have 3 or 4 pages of quite often contentious views. They can come from just about anywhere politically. I've seen people like Richard Perle and Henry Kissinger in there.

The piece you are talking about:

1) was not the official line of the paper

2) was meant to be funny

3) succeeded in being funny

4) got pulled from their website because namby-pamby Americans who, unlike the Irish and Australians don't shaer our robust British traditions of political argument, complained about it. Wimps. Your congressdudes are always so polite. They should spend more time slagging each other off. Maybe they'd attract moe attention that way.

Like I said before the really silly thing about all this storm in a teacup is that some Americans seem to care about it, to be genuinely annoyed. I don't see why they even noticed.

No-one here cares what the Tri-County Courier Express thinks about British politics. Why shoult the Yanks care about the Garunadai?

You guys are Top Nation these days. You are the imperial power. Your empire is bigger than ours & has been for going on 50 years.

What are you all so sensitive about?

Just get over it.

Posted by Ultraspike (# 268) on :

Bush has a message for The Guardian.

quote:

You think the idea of President Cheney is funny? [Ultra confused] [Eek!] [Ultra confused]

George Bush (snr) had Dan Quayle has his V.P. His son has Cheney as his.

I reckon they both thought "who will have a pop at us with these guys next in line? Could they be a kind of insurance policy?

[ 28. October 2004, 15:22: Message edited by: Sioni Sais. ]

Pearls from ken:
quote:
You guys are Top Nation these days. You are the imperial power. Your empire is bigger than ours & has been for going on 50 years.

What are you all so sensitive about?

I thought the point was that we're not sensitive enough.

I have heard (can't confirm) that Bush carried Clark County, Ohio by 1600 votes.

I wonder if the attempted intervention of the Guardian had any effect.

Moo

The Guardian must have a list of the names and addresses they gave out, so they could be contacted to find out what effect the letters had.

There was such a negative reaction here and in direct the responses to the Guardian that it can't have had the effect they were hoping for.

Buried somewhere in the Jerimiad which has been the Gruaniad for the last few days (one of it's writers even claimed that Bush's victory was the reason that everyone on the tube looked miserable on Wednesday morning - as we all know, London commuters are normally given to whistling happy tunes and greeting strangers cheerily as they make theur way to work) was a claim that Cook County swung to Bush by 3%, which was no more than the rest of the Buckeye state. And I don't think that even Richard Dawkins could piss off 160,000 Democrats into voting for Bush.

I was amused to note that at least one Democrat blogger assumed that Lady Antonia Fraser was a Karl Rove sockpuppet, on the grounds that no-one that clueless and patronising could actually exist. Ah, the innocence of those who have never attended a Nicaraguan Awareness Event at the Tricycle Theatre...

[Edited for Gruaniad-standard spellgni]

[ 05. November 2004, 23:43: Message edited by: hedonism_bot ]

Posted by Trisagion (# 5235) on :

quote:
Buried somewhere in the Jerimiad which has been the Gruaniad for the last few days (one of it's writers even claimed that Bush's victory was the reason that everyone on the tube looked miserable on Wednesday morning - as we all know, London commuters are normally given to whistling happy tunes and greeting strangers cheerily as they make theur way to work) was a claim that Cook County swung to Bush by 3%, which was no more than the rest of the Buckeye state. And I don't think that even Richard Dawkins could piss off 160,000 Democrats into voting for Bush.

I was amused to note that at least one Democrat blogger assumed that Lady Antonia Fraser was a Karl Rove sockpuppet, on the grounds that no-one that clueless and patronising could actually exist. Ah, the innocence of those who have never attended a Nicaraguan Awareness Event at the Tricycle Theatre...

[Edited for Gruaniad-standard spellgni]

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Posted by Peppone (# 3855) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
Bush has a message for The Guardian.

That's charming.

Here is an article in USA Today about the effects of the Guardian initiative.

Moo

Posted by Gremlin (# 129) on :

Makes you wonder how many wavering Shipmates were inadvertantly persuaded to vote Republican because of the *helpful* debates on US foreign policy on the Ship.

Gremlin

bumping this for the benefit of hoppik.

Posted by Big Chaz (# 4862) on :

quote:
quote:

You think the idea of President Cheney is funny? [Ultra confused] [Eek!] [Ultra confused]
No but I think the idea of President Cheney being the next one to get done over would be, could we throw in Tony ( [Big Grin] Blair [Big Grin] )on a two for one deal. the bastards ought to be culd on a regular basis just to keep them on there towes.

I think that President Rumsfeld would be much better ... any chance of it?

quote:
In Leninist jargon: the lumpenproletariat in a bourgeois society have developed a false consciousness and will only come to a realisation of class interest by actions of the revolutionary vanguard elite.

Hmmm. Did Lenin get laid more by talking this incomprehensibly? Or can we lay the blame for his totalitarianism on the fact he wasn't getting any?

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Here is an article in USA Today about the effects of the Guardian initiative.

Moo

Well I say we use this in the next election as a tactic in a swing state. Only this time try to get them to vote for Jeb instead of the democrat.

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 3631) on :

quote:
Hmmm. Did Lenin get laid more by talking this incomprehensibly?

It's ironic how one can use a plethora of words to verbalize a paucity of thought.

But then, talk's cheap.

Posted by The Black Monk (# 8771) on :

I've seen a few TV programmes in recent months where journalists have gone out interviewing American voters.

I don't think the Guardian readers could have made any difference one way or the other whilst so many Americans appear to be under the sickening delusion that they have an intelligent, hard working, God fearing, 'Good ol' Texan boy' (some people interviewed actually said this!) sitting in the Whitehouse.

When there are people like Bush sitting in the Whitehouse, all the rest of us can is turn to God and pray for deliverance!

Overdramatize much?

And such a novel concept too. This Internet thingie is edumacational. I've never heard anything like that before!

Charlotte

Scot

I evidently failed in my attempt to understate the situation!

quote:
Originally posted by The Black Monk:
I don't think the Guardian readers could have made any difference one way or the other whilst so many Americans appear to be under the sickening delusion that they have an intelligent, hard working, God fearing, 'Good ol' Texan boy' (some people interviewed actually said this!) sitting in the Whitehouse.

I now officially hate you. Because now I feel compelled to point out the stupidity of your comments, which is a de-facto defense of Dubya.

The "delusions" about Dubya you cite as self-evident are:

Now go fuck off and die and get off my side, while I bathe myself in bleach.

Rook,

I understand that you hold the exhalted position of
'Host' but I would be grateful for clarification as to what it it means to be 'officially hated'.

Are there some Shipmates who you hate informally or unofficially?

There are people I hate, and people I don't hate as much. This status can be unknown to people other than myself, or they can be offically announced. Your status is currently without ambiguity.

Posted by Gort (# 6855) on :

[ 22. January 2005, 02:19: Message edited by: Gort ]

It really pisses me off that I feel compelled to defend Dubya any more at all. I shall have my revenge, you tungsten-pantie wearing freak.

Bite my 10ghz front-side buss, you expatriot, puck flingin' canuck.

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
hard - working - The only "work" this man did was run an oil company, invested in by the Bin Laden family, which ultimately failed.[/QB]

Not true. I think he also ran a baseball team or something into the ground.

All he did was count beans in the front office and pass out season tickets to his cronies.

quote:
All he did was count beans in the front office and pass out season tickets to his cronies.

Have you ever tried counting beans? That's hard work, man!

Yes, I did. It gave me ulcers and broke up my first marriage. Now, I live a simple life of contemplation and philosophic philanthropy.

Is that what made your hair go white?

No. That was a 27,000 volt ground fault shock I received while adjusting the convergence on a new color picture tube during my television repairman days.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
quote:
hard - working - The only "work" this man did was run an oil company, invested in by the Bin Laden family, which ultimately failed.

Not true. I think he also ran a baseball team or something into the ground. [/QB]
"Hard-working"

One of the commonest excuses put forward for people who aren't reaslly up to the mark. I'd rather have an idle sod that can do the job than an industrious one that can't.

© Ship of Fools 2016