Thread: Purgatory: Catholic Church Official Stance Question Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001212

Posted by NoSuchThingAsNothing (# 16382) on :

Could I please ask a question, no judgement being asked for or given? Is it the official Catholic Church's stance that noone except members of the Catholic Church go to Heaven? I was just wondering the other day about ex-communication and what the Church believed it was doing when it ex-communicated someone, condemning them to hell or just to an earthly life away from them? Is there any coming back from it? Not sure if this is the right place to ask. I couldn't see any other question threads.

[ 05. January 2015, 01:14: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Or any church for that matter. I suppose it varies?

If there's a more appropriate place to ask this please delete this thread and let me know. I know Purgatory is more for debate than questions.

Posted by pjkirk (# 10997) on :

That isn't an accurate reflection of the RCC stance now. Others can elaborate more I'm sure.

Posted by five (# 14492) on :

It also isn't an accurate stance of ex-communication. Ex-communication means you can't have communion, ie, the Eucharistic feast. However, you can (and it is hoped you will) turn up for mass and repent and atone so that you can return to full communion with the Church. Some ex-communicants will want to do this, some won't, it is the hope of the Church that all will. But none of it has to do with whether or not you're going to Heaven.

My understanding of the official Church stance is that we have no way of knowing who goes to Heaven and who does not apart from the Saints, who of course let us know they are in Heaven by the performance of miracles. This doesn't mean people other than Saints don't go to Heaven, just that we have no proof otherwise. Similarly, while we know there is Hell, we do not know who has gone there. And maybe some have not arrived yet - they may be in Purgatory being cleansed of sins to arrive in Heaven pure, as all must be in Heaven.

So if we can't tell you who among the faithful goes and who doesn't, it would be equally be impossible to say who goes who is not among the faithful.

Then again, that's my understanding, which may or may not be the official doctrine. It has been a rather long time since my catechism classes!

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

I can't quote chapter and verse, but from what I've read on-line the RC Church is far more open to the possibility of people from other religions, as well as Christianity, being 'saved' than many Protestant groups I could mention.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Excommunication is meant to be a desperate last measure to try to rescue you, mainly by shocking you into sense about whatever evil you (this is all general "you") may have fallen into and are refusing to let hold of. It's not intended to be a statement that we (general we) want you in hell, or that we hope you die and all your toys get taken away.

To be sure, there ARE those who are evil themselves and misuse excommunication just as they do everything else in the world. I've been a victim of this (though not in the RCC). But the abuse of something doesn't make its proper use a no-go area.

Ah. Interesting. Thanks for the replies. [Smile]

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

Here's the official Catechism of the Catholic Church (promulgated by John Paul II) on other Christian denominations: CCC 817-819 & CCC 836-838, as well as other religions: CCC 839-845. The general (re-)interpretation of "outside the Church there is no salvation" is given in CCC 846-848. If you are looking for declarations at the highest level of authority, check out Lumen Gentium, paragraphs 15 & 16 of Vatican II.

The basic picture is this: We should follow God in Christ. Christ has instituted the RCC to allow this to happen (in the opinion of the RCC). Thus our wish to follow Christ should lead us to become full members of the RCC in good standing. However, for various reasons and in various degrees people are ignorant of this role of the RCC. A Christian of another denomination may believe (falsely, in the opinion of the RCC) that he follows Christ better in that denomination, a Muslim may believe (more falsely, in the opinion of the RCC) that he is obeying God better in Islam, and some people on this earth still may not even have heard of Christ. To the extent that these are "honest" errors due to circumstance, people are not culpable for them and hence their salvation is not threatened. This can be the case even for say a Protestant fully aware of the RCC: by historical circumstance that person may be in a position where in spite of knowing RC claims, they may honestly be mistaken about their truth value. They may even be completely closed to all attempts to change their mind and still not culpable (so-called "invincible ignorance").

However, this is not to say rejection of the RCC has no importance. It is in principle "grave matter" to reject the RCC, thus if it is done with "full knowledge" and "deliberate consent", then this becomes a mortal sin which endangers one's salvation. While the RCC has never stated about any human being that they are definitely doomed to hell, it is hence a fair guess that those who have brought about large scale schism and heresy (say Arius or Luther) are in considerable danger of hell on account of separating from the RCC and misleading many others alone.

Posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard (# 368) on :

That there can be no hint of irony in invincible ignorance is most droll.

Posted by malik3000 (# 11437) on :

The Pre-Vatican 2 Catholicism was what my mother conveyed to me in my early childhood, and aspects of it messed me up i believe, but in fairness i must say that she was very clear that anyone could go to heaven, not just Catholics, or Christians for that matter.

What about unregenerate Satanists even after postmortem evangelism ?

Posted by Forthview (# 12376) on :

We have no way ofseeing into the minds and understandings of 'unregenerate Satanists'
what people are on the outside is not necessarily the way that God sees them.He is the one who decides who goes to Heaven - assuming that there is both a God and a Heaven.

The RCC would claim to point the way to Heaven but even the pope is not the final judge and arbiter of who goes to Heaven - even if St Peter is waiting at the Pearly Gates.

Posted by Gregory's Girl (# 16275) on :

FWIW, I remember one of my university lecturers(an authority on the Crusades and himself a practising Catholic) explaining that the rationale of the Inquisition going so hell-for-leather (pun intended??) after first-generation Protestants was that their children, having been brought up in error, would be less culpable for their beliefs so such things had to be stamped out before it reached that stage.

On a less serious note, there is the joke which I probably heard in Anglican circles:
St Peter is showing a new (Protestant) arrival round Heaven. The newbie notices a wall and hears people behind it so he asks: "who's behind that wall?
St Peter replies (whispering): it's the Catholics. They think they're the only ones here!"
Though IMHO it's the Evos I've met who expect that Heaven will be uni-denominational.

That's not the question Forthview.

And of what am I invincibly ignorant ?

That nearly all Poles, the French, Iberians, Italians, Irish, Walloons, Czechs, Slovaks, Croats, Slovenes, Romanians and half the Germans et al are not ?

What about the Orthodox ?

That's a LOT of lavatories I get to clean.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
And of what am I invincibly ignorant? That nearly all Poles, the French, Iberians, Italians, Irish, Walloons, Czechs, Slovaks, Croats, Slovenes, Romanians and half the Germans et al are not? What about the Orthodox? That's a LOT of lavatories I get to clean.

I would say the main thing you are ignorant about is that the faith does not revolve around what you think and believe, and that it is not ultimately you standing alone before God. Basically, your faith requires a Copernican revolution.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
I would say the main thing you are ignorant about is that the faith does not revolve around what you think and believe

Eh? Then why does the RCC put such an emphasis on dogma?

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
I would say the main thing you are ignorant about is that the faith does not revolve around what you think and believe

Eh? Then why does the RCC put such an emphasis on dogma?
You are assuming the wrong emphasis in what I said there. Not: "The faith does not revolve around what you think and believe.", but rather "The faith does not revolve around what you think and believe." Clearer?

(quote bold removed to preserve the emphasis)
quote:
You are assuming the wrong emphasis in what I said there. Not: "The faith does not revolve around what you think and believe.", but rather "The faith does not revolve around what you think and believe." Clearer?

Not really. Are you saying it doesn't matter what I (or any given individual) think and believe? In which case why bother having a profession of faith at baptism?

quote:
Are you saying it doesn't matter what I (or any given individual) think and believe? In which case why bother having a profession of faith at baptism?

The point is that you are making a given profession of faith, something provided to you as requiring your agreement. You are not simply being asked to say whatever you happen to believe in. Of course, you may well believe exactly what the profession of faith suggests, in which case the difference is subtle. When you don't, it's glaringly obvious. It is this difference - sometimes subtle, sometimes obvious - which is always there in the background for RCs and Orthodox, because it is a difference the Church has made, makes, and will make. For Protestants there are basically only some remnants left over from Church history. You may still say a particular, historic profession of faith. Or maybe not: in the end that's between you and God. For RCs and Orthodox that is not so. It's always between you, the Church, and God.

Posted by New Yorker (# 9898) on :

quote:
.. that it is not ultimately you standing alone before God.

IngoB, thanks for your input. I always appreciate your thoughts.

Can you expound on the above? It happens to coincide with things I've been pondering of late. In what since is salvation a solitary experience and in what sense is it a corporate experience? (I hope that this is not too much thread drift.)

Posted by Triple Tiara (# 9556) on :

Indeed.

That is the major flaw in the otherwise excellent film A Man for all Seasons, where Thomas More is made to say "The important thing is not that I believe it, but that I believe it". That precisely is what Thomas More would not have said and was in fact fighting against.

Posted by PaulTH* (# 320) on :

quote:
The point is that you are making a given profession of faith, something provided to you as requiring your agreement. You are not simply being asked to say whatever you happen to believe in.

I am 57 years old, and it has taken me until now to grasp this. With my "free thinking" Protestant background I always thought that is something isn't obvious to me, then no one can ask me to believe it. It's only now, that I've taken on the discipline of being Catholic that I realise that it isn't about what I believe. Within faith taditions such as the Catholic and Orthodox churches, discipline is as important to belief as it is to any other aspect of spirituality, such as prayer, fasting or fulfilling one's obligation to partake of the Sacraments. I think this is one of the most important things that has been lost in the Protestant tradition.

quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH*:
I think this is one of the most important things that has been lost in the Protestant tradition.

And I think that no longer having to believe whatever the church tells you to believe, and instead being free to work out your own faith in fear and trembling throughout your lifetime's walk with God, was one of the greatest steps forward Christianity has ever taken. It may not have been popular with the heirarchy, of course, but then encouraging people to think for themselves has never been popular with heirarchies.

Posted by Niteowl2 (# 15841) on :

quote:
quote:
The point is that you are making a given profession of faith, something provided to you as requiring your agreement. You are not simply being asked to say whatever you happen to believe in.

I am 57 years old, and it has taken me until now to grasp this. With my "free thinking" Protestant background I always thought that is something isn't obvious to me, then no one can ask me to believe it. It's only now, that I've taken on the discipline of being Catholic that I realise that it isn't about what I believe. Within faith taditions such as the Catholic and Orthodox churches, discipline is as important to belief as it is to any other aspect of spirituality, such as prayer, fasting or fulfilling one's obligation to partake of the Sacraments. I think this is one of the most important things that has been lost in the Protestant tradition.
Sorry, but it is about what we understand through our own study of God's word along with accountability to the church. Cults gain followers by insisting that it's followers accept what it teaches without question. I've never understood any church that is uncomfortable with those who ask questions or seek to verify what others are teaching them.

The RCC and every other denomination have made grave errors and have lead the followers who trust leadership (look up history on some popes and protestant founders) down the road to ruin.

One of my favorite teachers at a missions school I was on staff at used to throw out some outrageous statements just to see if any of the students had the gumption to call him on it, either during that class session or at the next session. You'd be amazed how few ever did. His point was to get students to verify teaching on their own.

Posted by CL (# 16145) on :

quote:
quote:
I think this is one of the most important things that has been lost in the Protestant tradition.

And I think that no longer having to believe whatever the church tells you to believe, and instead being free to work out your own faith in fear and trembling throughout your lifetime's walk with God, was one of the greatest steps forward Christianity has ever taken. It may not have been popular with the heirarchy, of course, but then encouraging people to think for themselves has never been popular with heirarchies.
Or in other words, it's all about me.

quote:
Originally posted by CL:

Not all, no. Just the bit that pertains to me.

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

quote:
Originally posted by CL:
quote:
quote:

No, it's about Truth.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CL:

Not all, no. Just the bit that pertains to me.
Truth and me are not mutually exclusive.

You cannot have the one without the other.

I would have thought with love, love your neighbour, love your enemy, love the Son, love your Father, it's all about me being all about you neighbour, you enemy, you Jesus, you Father.

(interesting reading, thanks Ingo)

[ 11. May 2011, 12:35: Message edited by: NoSuchThingAsNothing ]

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
No, it's about Truth.

Yes, but whose truth? This is why there are thousands of denominations which could loosely be called Protestant, ranging from the theologically conservative to quite outlandish. If we are all free to interpret out own truth, we will all come up with something a bit different. The Bible is not always easy to interpret, and it certainly doesn't plainly interpret itself. I have come to believe that an authority, the magisterium, is necessary to give coherance to what we believe. A perpetuating schism is the only possible result of us all seeking our own truth from Scripture.

Posted by Fugue (# 16254) on :

quote:
quote:
No, it's about Truth.

Yes, but whose truth? This is why there are thousands of denominations which could loosely be called Protestant, ranging from the theologically conservative to quite outlandish. If we are all free to interpret out own truth, we will all come up with something a bit different. The Bible is not always easy to interpret, and it certainly doesn't plainly interpret itself. I have come to believe that an authority, the magisterium, is necessary to give coherance to what we believe. A perpetuating schism is the only possible result of us all seeking our own truth from Scripture.
It would be lovely if this worked out in practice, but unfortunately, as Galileo might tell you if he were still around, the teaching of the magisterium doesn't necessarily guarantee coherence in matters of belief. Which is why blind obedience to it is not, to my mind, a good thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Fugue:
the teaching of the magisterium doesn't necessarily guarantee coherence in matters of belief.

Or truth, for that matter.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
Yes, but whose truth?

Truth doesn't belong to anyone.

Tell me what my faith is IngoB. And how you know what it is.

Posted by uffda (# 14310) on :

Somehow I feel at home on this thread.

(note sig below)

About a decade ago I edited a magazine and for fun looked back through the archives. In the 1920s, much more emphatic and divided times, there was a Q&A section and one such ran something like this:

Q: I am an Anglican and cannot see much difference between our religions. Is there a difference?
A: Yes. As an Anglican you can believe whatever you choose to believe. As a Catholic I believe what the Church believes and teaches.

I chuckled long and hard at that.

As some have done in this thread, the Catholic position can be dismissed as mindlessly believing whatever you are fed. I see it very differently. I don't have to start from scratch and come up with answers. Instead I have to engage with the Faith of the Church, secure in the knowledge that greater minds and holier souls than mine have already wrestled with those questions and come to much more profound conclusions than I ever would. As Pope Benedict has said, truth is not something one constructs, it is something one encounters.

I don't know of any instruction ever that says Catholics should not think or ask questions. What is the case, however, is that Catholics cannot posit their own thoughts as Catholic thought if it veers from the magisterium. I might believe that Jesus was an alien and that would be my business. But as soon as I started telling others that Jesus was an alien that would no longer be just my business as I would be misleading others.

Of course, the Church would want me to correct my error if it came to light that I believed Jesus was an alien. After all, it's the business of the Church to lead people to the Truth, who is Christ, not leave them in ignorance, error and fantasy.

quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:

Instead I have to engage with the Faith of the Church, secure in the knowledge that greater minds and holier souls than mine have already wrestled with those questions and come to much more profound conclusions than I ever would.

Tut, tut Triple Tiara. Why sell yourself short? Did someone tell you you were a very naughty boy as a child? [Razz]

quote:
As Pope Benedict has said, truth is not something one constructs, it is something one encounters.

I quite agree.

But there's just no guarantee where and when we might encounter it!

quote:
Of course, the Church would want me to correct my error if it came to light that I believed Jesus was an alien. After all, it's the business of the Church to lead people to the Truth, who is Christ, not leave them in ignorance, error and fantasy.

Cool. I just wish the church would have a bit more humility and openness to the possibility that it too may have errors that need to be corrected. That it too may need to be led back to Christ. That it too may be mired in ignorance, error and fantasy.

Amen Marvin.

That prayer thread in All Saints must be getting to you.... [Biased]

The trouble is, if a bastion of truth starts to admit infallibility, the whole shaboodle may fall apart.

Can't do that.

Having said that, I'm sure there must be a mechanism the Catholic Church uses to monitor itself.

I suspect us Protestants just don't know what it is.

quote:

As some have done in this thread, the Catholic position can be dismissed as mindlessly believing whatever you are fed. I see it very differently. I don't have to start from scratch and come up with answers. Instead I have to engage with the Faith of the Church, secure in the knowledge that greater minds and holier souls than mine have already wrestled with those questions and come to much more profound conclusions than I ever would. As Pope Benedict has said, truth is not something one constructs, it is something one encounters.

I don't know of any instruction ever that says Catholics should not think or ask questions. What is the case, however, is that Catholics cannot posit their own thoughts as Catholic thought if it veers from the magisterium...

The highlighted sentence to me exemplifies the problem, in that essentially saying it is ok to think for yourself and then you will see the truth of what you've already been told by the magisterium. But if you come to different conclusions to the magisterium, what then? Silence, lest your views mislead the faithful? Just leave and find another more congenial church in which to worship? Whilst this latter solution may make sense to many, it does not fully take into consideration the position of people (like me) who were baptised as infants into the Catholic Church, and who have grown up with it as a central part of their life and cultural identity. For such people, seeking to conform one's mind and heart with the official teaching may have been a sincere struggle over many years, even to the point of insanity.

"Greater minds and holier souls" than mine have indeed drawn more profound conclusions than I suspect I will ever be capable of. I listen to them. But it cuts both ways. Some of those great minds and holy souls have been instrumental in forming magisterial teaching, and many more have found themselves to concur with it. But I would also argue that greater minds and holier souls than mine have differed from magisterial teaching, too, and I don't think their voices should simply be silenced.

quote:
I might believe that Jesus was an alien and that would be my business. But as soon as I started telling others that Jesus was an alien that would no longer be just my business as I would be misleading others.

Let's face it, dissent from doctrinal teaching of the RCC is not usually focussed these days on the provenance of Jesus, but on ethical matters such as contraception, homosexuality, or the ordination of women and married men. You may consider the current magisterial teaching to be the last word on these matters, until the doctrinal position is reformulated in 500 years time (maybe, who knows?).

Meanwhile others perhaps battle on as loyal but despised dissenters on the margins of the fold, or, like me, leave altogether for a less authoritarian place to worship. I'm not sure where my apostasy leaves me in the eyes of the RCC in relation to the question of eternal damnation. IngoB's comment above about Arius and Luther was somewhat ominous, I thought.

But hey, I'd rather take my chances with God and be an honest heretic than an uptight saint.

Sorry to double post, but just a clarification about my final remark above: I did not mean to imply that I think people who uphold an orthodox Roman Catholic position are necessarily "uptight", in case anyone might read it that way. That's just how trying to conform my mind to the whole package of RC teaching left me, personally.

I actually have great respect for the RC tradition and its theology, but personally consider something has gone wrong at the highest levels in its exercise of authority and its inability to admit possible error or unknowing. On this I'm in agreement with Marvin's pertinent comment above.

Posted by GreyFace (# 4682) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Fugue:
The highlighted sentence to me exemplifies the problem, in that essentially saying it is ok to think for yourself and then you will see the truth of what you've already been told by the magisterium. But if you come to different conclusions to the magisterium, what then?

I'm interested in getting an answer to this one too - I've been digging around it for years. The assumption in some of the official documents I've read trying to address the issue is that a properly informed conscience cannot disagree with the magisterium, on anything. One should not go against one's conscience BUT if one bothered to inform one's conscience one would never go against the Church either.

The only conclusion I can make from this is that anyone who's made a serious and sincere effort to understand the teaching yet come to a different conclusion, is either too stupid or too spiritually blind to understand (I'm, not condemning this, I usually have to read anything Ingo posts more than once before I grasp what he's getting at so I'm more than willing to put myself in that category, potentially). There is no room for the Church being wrong, on anything. Yet this is at odds with the way the Church limits claims of infallibility and has an apparent hierarchy of authority - which incidentally is not self-referential and therefore not infallible.

If the issue involves mortal sin, does the Church really say, in the words of Obi-Wan, "You must do what you think is right" when the consequences are potentially so severe?

[ 12. May 2011, 11:15: Message edited by: GreyFace ]

Posted by Hawk (# 14289) on :

quote:
As Pope Benedict has said, truth is not something one constructs, it is something one encounters.

Yes, I quite agree with Benedict's statement - but as men and women, the RC claims to have constructed it! An accumulation of the encounters of holier and more profound minds constructed over the millenia into doctrine and dogma. Where is the room for you to encounter truth if you are trapped within the constructs of others? It only works if you believe the construct is the truth!

quote:

This is one of my favorite quotations of Benedict. Another one is from, I think, Archbishop Burke:

"What do you do when you disagree with the Church? You change your mind."

Ouch.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

Interesting reading. But for a long time now I've been at a loss to explain why Christians of various reformed traditions care about what the Roman Catholic Church thinks.

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

quote:
quote:

Marvin, I am not leaping to the defence of the me/church/God perspective. Nor am I defending hierarchies or intransigent dogma.

But ............. I am somewhat currently convinced that salvation comes in community. Therefore the coupling of me, my community and our God as a reflection of my story before the throne resonates.

Indeed the more I think on it the more it feels like; us, our community before the communal throne of the Trinity.

Is there as much danger in isolation as there is in blind following of communal rules?

All the best, Pyx_e

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Interesting reading. But for a long time now I've been at a loss to explain why Christians of various reformed traditions care about what the Roman Catholic Church thinks.

Cos they are the biggest kid on the block. If you share a garden with an elephant you have to pay attention to where its going to step next.

Oh, most certainly. Accountability to others is very important, as is the ability to learn from their insights.

I'm just saying that that applies in all directions. No individual or organisation is unaccountable. No individual or organisation has nothing to learn from the others. No individual or organisation gets to command ultimate agreement in all things simply because of who or what it is.

quote:
Tut, tut Triple Tiara. Why sell yourself short? Did someone tell you you were a very naughty boy as a child? [Razz]

no, actually. I was too much of a goody two-shoes. I broke out and became a naughty boy in my thirties, and then got bored of that. It helps to concentrate the mind when you are put in charge and are the one people fight against, rather than being the gadfly. I still occasionally pick a fight, unwisely, with those above me.

quote:
Cool. I just wish the church would have a bit more humility and openness to the possibility that it too may have errors that need to be corrected. That it too may need to be led back to Christ. That it too may be mired in ignorance, error and fantasy.

Interesting. You should pay attention sometime [Big Grin] . There are often theological commissions to examine subjects. And back in the sixties we had a seismic shift in emphasis: you may hear Catholics keep harping on about Vatican II, precisely because quite a significant shift happened in its wake: ecumenical outlook, approach to religious freedom, relations with other religions to name a few. John Paul II had things to say about the Church getting it wrong on a number of matters, such as the case of Jan Hus for example. And certain quarters got their knickers in a twist just a year or two ago because Benedict XVI officially declared the idea of limbo to be no more than theological speculation and not in fact helpful.

But don't hold your breath if what you are actually saying is "the Catholic Church ought to agree with me".

quote:
Having said that, I'm sure there must be a mechanism the Catholic Church uses to monitor itself.

I suspect us Protestants just don't know what it is.

It's called the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. It was headed for about 25 years by Joseph Ratzinger.

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
quote:

Yes, I quite agree with Benedict's statement - but as men and women, the RC claims to have constructed it! An accumulation of the encounters of holier and more profound minds constructed over the millenia into doctrine and dogma. Where is the room for you to encounter truth if you are trapped within the constructs of others? It only works if you believe the construct is the truth!
[Confused] That's odd. In fact the Catholic Church strongly believes in divine revelation, and says very strongly that it does not have the right to "construct" truth. "That which we have received, that we pass on to you" as St Paul said. You will see this in operation very iconically if you ever care to read Papal or Vatican documents. The groundwork is always laid by pointing to that which has been received. The phrase used by popes is usually the rather poetic "as my venerable predecessor of blessed memory, Pope whoever wrote in his Encyclical etc etc ..."

If you inhabit a mindset of having to arrive at conclusions yourself all the time, and having to make your own judgement, you will never accept this is of course. You end up feeling trapped, as you say.

quote:
Oh, most certainly. Accountability to others is very important, as is the ability to learn from their insights.

I'm just saying that that applies in all directions. No individual or organisation is unaccountable. No individual or organisation has nothing to learn from the others. No individual or organisation gets to command ultimate agreement in all things simply because of who or what it is.

Join the Ordinariate [Big Grin] . The Pope has created a space within the Catholic Church for Anglicans to share their treasures and insights (which are not contrary to the Faith the Church has received) with the rest of us. And, as it happens, the Ordinary is not a Bishop because he is married and the Catholic Church is mindful of the fact that the Eastern Churches do not ordain married men to the Episcopate.

But doctrine is not a free-for-all decided by democratic vote, if that's what you are asking for.

Fugue, I am mindful of your post but am loathe to engage with it here because it seems to me to be tied up with personal story and experience. The hot issues you identify aren't exactly easy ones and each generates quite a lot of discussion coupled with emotion. Of course there is a division of opinion on those matters, ranging from those who try to dismiss others as mere dissenters to those who cry foul oppressors at the other end. So I will leave it at that.

quote:

Fugue, I am mindful of your post but am loathe to engage with it here because it seems to me to be tied up with personal story and experience. The hot issues you identify aren't exactly easy ones and each generates quite a lot of discussion coupled with emotion. Of course there is a division of opinion on those matters, ranging from those who try to dismiss others as mere dissenters to those who cry foul oppressors at the other end. So I will leave it at that.

I appreciate your acknowledgement and your sentiments, Triple Tiara. [Smile]

I agree - I did touch on some ethical and ecclesial issues that are complex and very emotive and as far as the Ship goes probably all belonging in Dead Horse territory, anyway... I wasn't anticipating a discussion on them in this context.

It's very regrettable, as you indicate, when disagreement on these and other matters polarises members of the church along 'dissenter/oppressor' or even 'liberal/conservative' lines. It is indeed more complex than that.

quote:
Originally posted by NoSuchThingAsNothing:
I would have thought with love, love your neighbour, love your enemy, love the Son, love your Father, it's all about me being all about you neighbour, you enemy, you Jesus, you Father.

I'll quote myself because noone answered or maybe it was that I'm new and trying to break into territory already claimed by others here,
It's not about truth, it's about Jesus. And Jesus was about Us. Jesus wasn't about "me" though. He was "you". Just as He sacrificed everything for me, he sacrificed even more for you. He didn't sacrifice Himself so I could claim to know Truth. He sacrificed himself so anyone could claim, were they a disciple of truth, to be able to share truth with YOU!

quote:
I still occasionally pick a fight, unwisely, with those above me.

Onya mate. Keep em honest. [Biased]

quote:
quote:

I'll quote myself because noone answered or maybe it was that I'm new and trying to break into territory already claimed by others here,
It's not about truth, it's about Jesus. And Jesus was about Us. Jesus wasn't about "me" though. He was "you". Just as He sacrificed everything for me, he sacrificed even more for you. He didn't sacrifice Himself so I could claim to know Truth. He sacrificed himself so anyone could claim, were they a disciple of truth, to be able to share truth with YOU!

I don't really understand what you're saying here STAN.

We are disciples of truth in Jesus but he did not come so that we could know Truth.

He sacrificed himself so I could share the truth or truth with YOU? What truth are we sharing? The truth of love?

If so, then yes. The truth of love is a generally agreed principle in Christianity. [Big Grin]

The trouble comes when we try and figure out what that means! What does it mean to love each other?

quote:
But don't hold your breath if what you are actually saying is "the Catholic Church ought to agree with me".

If that were what I was saying I'd be no better than the church, would I? [Biased]

quote:
Join the Ordinariate [Big Grin] .
If it weren't for the unfortunate misogynistic implications of such a move it would actually be quite tempting. Finding a way to be in communion with the RCC (among others) without having to believe in every single dogma of that church is a significant part of my ecumenical journey.

quote:
But doctrine is not a free-for-all decided by democratic vote, if that's what you are asking for.
Of course it's not. But neither is it something that any given heirarchy can just declare to be true.

quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:
The assumption in some of the official documents I've read trying to address the issue is that a properly informed conscience cannot disagree with the magisterium, on anything. One should not go against one's conscience BUT if one bothered to inform one's conscience one would never go against the Church either.

The only conclusion I can make from this is that anyone who's made a serious and sincere effort to understand the teaching yet come to a different conclusion, is either too stupid or too spiritually blind to understand ... There is no room for the Church being wrong, on anything.

I have no idea what you have been reading there, and hence I have no idea how you jumped to these conclusions. They are, however, clearly wrong...

Wikipedia does a reasonable job at roughly categorizing the teaching levels of the magisterium. The magisterium can be wrong, wherever it is not infallible (and given the human condition, hence will be on occasion). Furthermore, the number of times the Church has "extraordinarily" claimed infallible status is limited (a few ex cathedra and conciliar pronouncements), and the number of times where "ordinary" infallibility can be claimed unequivocally is also limited. Finally, most of such infallible statements concern faith (e.g., some doctrine about the Trinity) rather than morals.

I doubt that one could make a reasonable case for more than a dozen infallible moral dogmas of the RCC. Perhaps there are only a handful. On all the rest, the Church hence could be wrong and therefore one could disagree and where one does so in best conscience, one in fact should. This can potentially cover, as Wikipedia correctly shows, disobeying theologians, priests, bishops and popes in most of their moral pronouncements.

That said, the caveats must begin.

Firstly, conscience speaks through applying moral knowledge to an individual case. Clearly, lots can go wrong with that: one may not correctly understand the case, one may have faulty knowledge, one may be incapable or unwilling to apply the knowledge correctly, one may ignore the conclusions reached, etc. A lot derives from this practical consideration, for example the duty to inform one's conscience. However, my main point is this: we all can reasonably assume that our individual efforts to work out difficult moral problems will mislead us often. Even without any religion, we may hence look to others - in particular groups of knowledgeable people, say a committee of bioethicists - to supply us with a better moral evaluation than we ourselves could come up with. For a person of faith that should hold even more true concerning the Church, since in addition to a "non-faith" assumption of moral expertise we expect to find there the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Thus our conscience should in case of conflict with the Church assume in the first place that we must be mistaken. That's simply reasonable given the difficulties conscience faces.

Secondly, our obedience to the Church is precisely not just a reasonable evaluation of law and circumstances. The Church is our mother in the faith, and we obey her as one obeys a much beloved and respected parent. Even if mum is wrong, it can be right to do what she says until one has gently convinced her to change her mind. The modus operandi is not in general the frontal confrontation, the bitter shouting match. And yes, it may require unreasonable sacrifices to stay in her good book, and on a purely objective level one may consider that unjust. But it is your mother in the faith we are talking about, there must not be a purely objective evaluation of your relationship with her. That's just plain wrong and ugly.

The "religious submission of intellect and will" is a function of both these caveats. Even where we know that the Church could be wrong, we must reasonably start with the assumption that we are wrong, because our religious faith tells us that the Church is a source of authoritative moral teaching with Divine guidance. It is hence likely that the fault lies with us. Thus we should try really hard to agree with the Church. However, even where we have come to the firm intellectual conclusion that the Church is wrong, we should generally follow our religious love for the Church and decide to act with her rather than against her. For every baby step the Church makes, we normally should be willing to run the extra mile. It is hence morally possible to ignore an evil of the Church our conscience has clearly identified for the good of our love to her. That can be the very operation of charity, the love above laws, informing our conscience of a greater good.

This is not to say that there is never a time to stand up to the Church in the name of one's conscience. There is a time and a season for "tough love". However, "tough love" really must be tough for the sake of love, not destructive for the sake of vengeance. Furthermore, while some of the above applies analogously, it is a rather different kind of moral problem when members of the Church act immorally. For example, the recent abuse scandals could in no way or form be justified from anything the Church has ever taught on morals. (And this includes attempts to cover up the situation by some bishops.) That was not a failure of Church doctrine, but of Church personnel and to a lesser extent of Church discipline & law. Nobody in the Church, no layperson, no religious, no priest, no bishop and no pope, has any sort of guarantee from the Holy Spirit that they will be morally impeccable. And there's nothing that ultimately stops Church bureaucracy & organization from being broken...

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
The Church is our mother in the faith, and we obey her as one obeys a much beloved and respected parent.

But this is just a metaphor. A good one, perhaps, but still just a metaphor. It's a good illustration of what you mean, but not a good argument for it.

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
The Church is our mother in the faith, and we obey her as one obeys a much beloved and respected parent.

But this is just a metaphor. A good one, perhaps, but still just a metaphor. It's a good illustration of what you mean, but not a good argument for it.
I feel that this is more than just a metaphor. There's something real and concrete about it. We're born into the Faith through the Church, by way of Baptism. We're nourished in the Faith through the Church, by way of the Sacraments. We're fed in the Faith through the Church, by way of the Holy Eucharist.

By way of the Church we're engrafted into the family of God with Christ at its head. We rely on the Church like a child relies on its mother, for its spiritual needs. People think they can go it alone and find faith by themselves, and cultivate it by themselves, but ultimately everything we know about the faith, about Christ and the scriptures, we've received through the Church, even if we've ceased to recognized it, or prefer to dispute it.

What is The Faith ?

Posted by Pancho (# 13533) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
What is The Faith ?

As a Catholic, this is the quickest summary of the Faith I can think of.

<cross post with Pancho, who partly addresses my first point>
quote:
quote:

I'm not entirely sure that I understand your problem here. Are you asking me to justify the similarity of the Church to a "much beloved and respected mother"? Once that likeness is established, and our love is taken as a given, then the behavioural consequences follow by analogy (and hence this becomes a "good argument" for the religious submission of the will in my book, though admittedly not everybody is as impressed by analogies as I am). Or are you asking me to justify that we ought to love the Church? Or what?

[ 13. May 2011, 18:05: Message edited by: IngoB ]

quote:
If it weren't for the unfortunate misogynistic implications of such a move it would actually be quite tempting. Finding a way to be in communion with the RCC (among others) without having to believe in every single dogma of that church is a significant part of my ecumenical journey.

Marvin, you've made 2 seriously wrong assumptions about the Ordinariate here. The first is that there is any misogyny. I can assure you that we love our women! We just obey the, so far, revealed doctrine of the Universal Church, that women aren't ordained to the priesthood. This isn't about misogyny, rights, or equality. It's about the received teaching of the Church.

The second is implied in your suggestion that you don't have to believe every single dogma of the Church. The doctrinal standard for the Ordinariate is the same as it is for the rest of the Catholic Church, all contained in The Catechism of the Catholic Church. What we may personally believe has already been discussed on this thread. Perhaps we all doubt. There is no incompatibility between doubt and faith. Obedience to the revealed teaching of the Church is far above anything I, as an individual, may think.

quote:
<cross post with Pancho, who partly addresses my first point>
quote:
quote:

I'm not entirely sure that I understand your problem here. Are you asking me to justify the similarity of the Church to a "much beloved and respected mother"? Once that likeness is established, and our love is taken as a given, then the behavioural consequences follow by analogy (and hence this becomes a "good argument" for the religious submission of the will in my book, though admittedly not everybody is as impressed by analogies as I am). Or are you asking me to justify that we ought to love the Church? Or what?
It's that you seem to be basing your argument on a metaphor. The tenor and vehicle of a metaphor are not in fact the same thing. Metaphors break down. The Church is not in actual fact a mother, a person who gave birth to a human being. One may learn a lot from the comparison a metaphor makes, but it's not logical to build an argument upon one.

As a catholic I can have no problem with that creed Pancho.

So is this Faith the same as the gift of faith that Jesus gives?

quote:
The Church is our mother in the faith, and we obey her as one obeys a much beloved and respected parent. Even if mum is wrong, it can be right to do what she says until one has gently convinced her to change her mind. The modus operandi is not in general the frontal confrontation, the bitter shouting match. And yes, it may require unreasonable sacrifices to stay in her good book, and on a purely objective level one may consider that unjust. But it is your mother in the faith we are talking about, there must not be a purely objective evaluation of your relationship with her. That's just plain wrong and ugly.

quote:

It's that you seem to be basing your argument on a metaphor. The tenor and vehicle of a metaphor are not in fact the same thing. Metaphors break down. The Church is not in actual fact a mother, a person who gave birth to a human being. One may learn a lot from the comparison a metaphor makes, but it's not logical to build an argument upon one.

And a further problem with the metaphor is that in real life, while of course our mother remains our mother, we still have to grow up and leave home and establish our own lives according to our conscience, sometimes at the cost of upsetting mother, unfortunately. This doesn't mean we stop loving our mother, of course. But the more mother tries to hold on and enforce her ways, the less likely one is going to be able to develop a properly adult relationship with her. I suspect in terms of Church and faith this might be experienced rather more by those who are born and raised Roman Catholic, and perhaps a little less by converts who may well have reached a stage in life when their assent to magisterial teaching can be made without compromise to their intellectual and psychological integrity.

Although this may in some ways look like an "ego" thing, I'd argue that only in the healthy development of the ego can we truly learn to become selfless individuals capable of renouncing ego and living for others. We cannot renounce what has yet to be formed, and living at home into adulthood with mother, or remaining unquestioningly obedient to the Church even when one in all sincerity cannot agree with her, is not to my mind the best way to ensure our healthy psycho-spiritual development.

From Paul TH :

quote:
The first is that there is any misogyny. I can assure you that we love our women! We just obey the, so far, revealed doctrine of the Universal Church, that women aren't ordained to the priesthood. This isn't about misogyny, rights, or equality. It's about the received teaching of the Church.
Paul, I disagree. I accept that in the two valid for reasons for joining the Ordinariate (Scripture and Tradition) the only one that holds any water is Tradition. And I accept that you personally are not misogynistic.

However there has always been a underbelly. No one is prepared to be labelled a women hater in this day and age and are very careful about what they say or do and would rightly cry for evidence but the “tainted alters” debacle and my personal experience at for instance St Stephens House clearly indicates that some male priest are not coming from a rational or loving place when it comes to women priests. This is all at best weak, but it is unhelpful to write “we love our women!” Some of you don’t.

Secondly and more strongly me this has always been a justice issue. You deny a women the opportunity to fulfil her calling for biological reasons. You can wrap it up in tradition but it only applies because she is a women and or no other reason. While misogyny is too strong a word to describe this you have to accept that it is a far stretch from “we love our women!” It is discriminatory in the same way that discrimination by race is. If you truly loved your women (in its self a patronising phrase) you would be at the forefront of the struggle in the church to ensure this 2000 years of patriarchal nonsense was overcome. Not fleeing into a bastion.

Sorry if I have drawn to close to a Dead Horse but I could not let it pass.

All the best, Pyx_e

Posted by Russ (# 120) on :

quote:
What we may personally believe has already been discussed on this thread. Perhaps we all doubt. There is no incompatibility between doubt and faith. Obedience to the revealed teaching of the Church is far above anything I, as an individual, may think.

Would it be fair to say that in any human relationship there's inevitably a certain amount of "I don't fully buy into this but I'll go along with it for the sake of the harmony of the group" ?

Even when it's a group of two.

Best wishes,

Russ

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
From Paul TH :

quote:
The first is that there is any misogyny. I can assure you that we love our women! We just obey the, so far, revealed doctrine of the Universal Church, that women aren't ordained to the priesthood. This isn't about misogyny, rights, or equality. It's about the received teaching of the Church.
Paul, I disagree. I accept that in the two valid for reasons for joining the Ordinariate (Scripture and Tradition) the only one that holds any water is Tradition. And I accept that you personally are not misogynistic.

However there has always been a underbelly. No one is prepared to be labelled a women hater in this day and age and are very careful about what they say or do and would rightly cry for evidence but the “tainted alters” debacle and my personal experience at for instance St Stephens House clearly indicates that some male priest are not coming from a rational or loving place when it comes to women priests. This is all at best weak, but it is unhelpful to write “we love our women!” Some of you don’t.

Secondly and more strongly me this has always been a justice issue. You deny a women the opportunity to fulfil her calling for biological reasons. You can wrap it up in tradition but it only applies because she is a women and or no other reason. While misogyny is too strong a word to describe this you have to accept that it is a far stretch from “we love our women!” It is discriminatory in the same way that discrimination by race is. If you truly loved your women (in its self a patronising phrase) you would be at the forefront of the struggle in the church to ensure this 2000 years of patriarchal nonsense was overcome. Not fleeing into a bastion.

All the best, Pyx_e

Justice does not, has not and never will come into the equation with regards to WO. That is an inapplicable secular criterion based on nothing more than emotion. The ontological reality is that women cannot receive holy orders anymore than a man can bear a child.

quote:
It's that you seem to be basing your argument on a metaphor.

I'm still not too sure what sort of "argument" you believe I am making, and what problems you have with it. The use of metaphor is perfectly valid in debate in two distinct ways. Firstly, as a rhetorical device to engage the heart - this is usually effective for those who largely share a common perspective, it provides motivation. This was largely my intention: an appeal to those who would be moved due to prior commitment. Secondly, by directly providing or implying analogical content for reasoning with those who disagree. This I did not particularly intend, but the analogy motivated here is quite good and can be drawn our further. I tried to find out if you agree with the basic terms of the analogy, since you apparently wish to argue. Once the terms are agreed upon, one can. But you have not provided that information.

quote:
One may learn a lot from the comparison a metaphor makes, but it's not logical to build an argument upon one.

The comparisons a metaphor makes - and also those it motivates - are analogical in nature, and analogy is perfectly fine as an intellectual tool (namely as a form of inductive reasoning) and its workings of course can be checked logically. Though as usual induction provides fewer checkpoints to logic than deduction. Frankly, if you forbid analogy for reasonable discourse, then you forbid theology. In which case we might as well close shop, and all emigrate from Purgatory to All Saints, as far as religious topics are concerned...

Fugue, I would contend that in this life many of us remain infants, toddlers and little children in faith. Some of us perhaps reach the "age of reason" in faith, where we can start to become more independent and be relied upon for many a task, and the very best of us - the saints - become teenagers in faith, almost adult but for the sometimes painful lack of experience, knowledge and know-how and the occasional loss of good sense. We will become adults only when we reach heaven and see God clearly. Thus I would say that you still have your feet under mum's table, even though you feel all grown-up as - perhaps - a cocky teenager.

quote:
Originally posted by CL:
Justice does not, has not and never will come into the equation with regards to WO. That is an inapplicable secular criterion based on nothing more than emotion. The ontological reality is that women cannot receive holy orders anymore than a man can bear a child.

See? This is problem with authority. Equality and justice is dismissed as emotion when it does not suit.

Women cannot receive holy orders because it is an ontological reality?

Ontological reality my ass.

[Killing me] [Killing me]

Prove it.

You can't.

quote:

That's why it's a dead horse, and it is rather unfair of you to challenge where those who disagree may not properly respond. Suffice to say here that there simply is no Divine call to the priesthood for women.

Posted by Chesterbelloc (# 3128) on :

quote:
quote:
Finding a way to be in communion with the RCC (among others) without having to believe in every single dogma of that church is a significant part of my ecumenical journey.
What has that got to do with the Ordinariate?

There have been so many threads on this in the last few months that I'm surprised anyone could miss that Ordinariate Catholics will be just that: Catholics.

They'll be "signing up" for the whole doctrinal deal - every "jot and tittle".

quote:
Ontological reality my ass.

To Pyx_e and Evensong. This discussion is descending into dead horse territory, so I must choose my words carefully to avoid this. So I'm not talking about the rights or wrongs of women's ordination. Suffice it to say that the only undoubtedly Apostolic Churches in the world are the Catholic and the Orthodox. I am aware that to Protestants of non-sacramental beliefs, this doesn't matter, but to a sacramentalist it is of vital importance.

These two large Churches, which together, make up a majority of the world's Christians, don't ordain women to the priesthood. As I said above, this is their revelation so far. Perhaps it will change. But it isn't about rights or equality. Nor was it my reason for joining the Ordinariate. I have always believed in the ecclesiology of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. While I was an Anglo-Catholic, I accepted the branch theory that we were part of it. But many Anglo-Catholics, as far back as Blessed John Henry Newman eventually find that view to be inadequate, and that the logical outcome of Anglo-Catholicism is union with the Holy See.

From the mid sixties, and the beginning of the ARCIC process, many hoped for a corporate reunion between the Church of England and Rome, though it must be acknowledged that they were always a minority within the C of E. What Pope Benedict's Anglicanorum Coetibus has done, is to provide that corporate reunuion for those Anglicans who want it. So I have followed, what to me is a logical outcome of a long quest, and joined the largest Church on earth which doesn't ordain women. That doesn't make me, or anyone else who has followed this journey, a misogynist.

quote:
Suffice to say here that there simply is no Divine call to the priesthood for women.

You forgot to say, ... according to the Catholic tradition.

Using metaphor and analogy in theology is always limited because the reality is always beyond and different. In the end I have arrived at the conclusion that the only thing we can say about God is that He is different. Whatever we say about Him is always limited and there is more to be said and He is not fully contained by any of the metaphors we use about Him. But precisely because of that we are constrained to use metaphor.

If we take each of the persons of the Trinity we see that in operation: how can we call God "Father"? And yet that is what Jesus does. Pertinent to tomorrow's Gospel, what does it mean to say Jesus is the Good Shepherd? And what about the Holy Spirit as wind, fire and dove?

If one simply sticks with the metaphor then one is left with an absurdity. But the metaphor is a pointer to a greater reality.

The metaphor of the Church as Mother is an ancient one. The most striking, to me, is St Cyprian of Carthage (d.258AD) in De unitate Ecclesiae: "He can no longer have God for his Father who has not the Church for his mother".

And so to Fugue: indeed, one can walk away from Mother. Just as one can walk away from Father. The parable of the Prodigal Son is all about that. I would even argue that perhaps the prodigal could never know just how much he belonged and was loved if he had not walked away. That is always the freedom we have. Now that I am older and have indeed left the paternal and maternal home, I have a wonderful relationship with my parents which is both filial and adult. I have not rebelled against them, I have not walked away from them: they remain my parents. Of course, I will always be aged about 10 in their eyes [Big Grin] . I have had marvellous conversations with my father about precisely this subject and that has helped me to see me through their eyes, not just my own. As my father said to me: from the moment you were born we loved you and were concerned for your well-being. That hasn't stopped just because you are an adult living far away. I still wake up at night and hope you are safe and okay".

As to the Ordinariate, some are odd, but then it would be odd if there weren't any odd ones! I have had close dealings with some of them and have been hugely impressed and heartened. The truism being spoken is there is surprise about some who have joined, just as there is surprise about some who would have been expected to join and have not. The charicature is just that: not an accurate reflection. And the best advice given to Ordinariate Catholics who have to live with that negative imagery is: don't accept the narrative. It's not your issue, it's the issue of those who feel the need to defame you.

for IngoB

quote:
To Pyx_e and Evensong. This discussion is descending into dead horse territory, so I must choose my words carefully to avoid this. So I'm not talking about the rights or wrongs of women's ordination. Suffice it to say that the only undoubtedly Apostolic Churches in the world are the Catholic and the Orthodox. I am aware that to Protestants of non-sacramental beliefs, this doesn't matter, but to a sacramentalist it is of vital importance.

Hate to break it to you PaulTH but the Catholics are just the heretic branch of the Orthodox. You're no more apostolic than I am as an Anglican.

And I am sacramental.

Doesn't make me a misogynist but.

But hey, if that's your new Creedo, go for it. Just don't tell me it's ontological.

Because it's not.

It's traditional.

And as for the Heterodox ...

quote:
quote:
Suffice to say here that there simply is no Divine call to the priesthood for women.

You forgot to say, ... according to the Catholic tradition.
The only one that matters.

quote:
Hate to break it to you PaulTH but the Catholics are just the heretic branch of the Orthodox. You're no more apostolic than I am as an Anglican.

So St Peter wasn't an Apostle? So the Catholics and the Orthodox had a big bust up a thousand years ago. But they both trace their origins directly back to Apostles of Jesus Christ. Anglicanism traces its origins to Henry VIII's dynastic problems.

quote:
But hey, if that's your new Creedo, go for it. Just don't tell me it's ontological.

I never used the word ontological. You're confusing me with someone else. And I agree with you that it's traditional . But this is the tradition I've chosen, for my own reasons, to belong to. I grew up in the Baptist and Evangelical tradition, so it has been a long, sometimes painful transition. I don't accept that everyone who chooses to join the Catholic or Orthodox Churches does so for reasons of misogyny. I genuinely believe in the Apostolic Church as an essential of sacramental assurance.

quote:
If you truly loved your women (in its self a patronising phrase) you would be at the forefront of the struggle in the church to ensure this 2000 years of patriarchal nonsense was overcome. Not fleeing into a bastion.

There's nothing patronising about loving people, and there are women for whom I have a great deal of love. But here, you seem to be saying that if I truly loved women, I wouldn't want to be Catholic. I realise that you feel very stongly about this, but it's a truly ridiculous assertion. I have, over a period of many years, developed a growing preference for Catholic theology over Protestant theology. I've also come to believe that the fragmented state of Christianity is an insult to Christ, who commanded that we all be one. I have, for some time, accepted, in principle, the primacy of the See of Peter, which is quite Scriptural.

All of this has led me to believe that no Christian unity will ever be possible, which doesn't take into account the Roman Catholic Church as the largest Christian body on earth. And you interpret all this as fleeing to a bastion of misogyny, which means that I don't truly love women. God help us!

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

The thread of Dead Horsiness has been duly raised and noted, and Pyx_e has called IngoB to Hell to say things he presumably couldn't say safely in Purgatory, so I will restrict myself to a reminder. Unlike the other thread which I just moved to Dead Horses ("Will the C of E become more intolerant?") this thread has an OP which in no way presumes or requires a discussion of women's ordination. If you want to talk about the Catholic church's view on OOW, you know where to do it. If you want to fling mud at IngoB or Pyx_e, or watch them fling mud at each other, you know where to do it. Please return discussion on THIS thread to the non-Dead Horse topic of the original post.

Trudy, Scrumptious Purgatory Host

So Peter, the first Pope in Rome by Roman tradition, excluded all women from the Royal Priesthood ?

Posted by Jahlove (# 10290) on :

quote:
<snip>
total snip to avoid a long nested quote simply to add one smiley:

[Overused]

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

quote:
Originally posted by CL:

More than a secular criterion.

Sorry, hadn't seen the hostly ruling.

[ 14. May 2011, 23:30: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

IngoB: Of course I do not "forbid" analogy! Or metaphor. All I'm saying is that one must be as awake to the limits of metaphor and analogy as to their power. You are drawing a lot of conclusions about how the Church is to be regarded solely upon the comparison of the Church to a mother. There are of course many ways in which the Church is very dissimilar to a mother, not the least of which is that it is a body of many persons. This being the case, I cannot concur with your conclusions about how the Church is to be regarded.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Anglicanism traces its origins to Henry VIII's dynastic problems.

I'll see your Henry V111 with a bevy of bent popes. Then I'll raise you 100s of sexually frustrated priests.

Why not look at what's happening now and what's needed in our culture today instead of hiding behind the skirts of 'tradition'?

IngoB, your response to the point I raised exemplifies the problem highlighted by RuthW of stretching metaphor beyond its limits. I agree that most of us are mere infants when it comes to matters of faith. But when the hierarchy wields the parent-child metaphor as an instrument to keep us that way, it seems to me that the metaphor has lost its moral and spiritual potency and become simply authoritarian.

quote:
quote:
If you truly loved your women (in its self a patronising phrase)[...]

There's nothing patronising about loving people, and there are women for whom I have a great deal of love. But here, you seem to be saying that if I truly loved women, I wouldn't want to be Catholic.
[Snore]

As I am sure you are aware despite this apparently ingenuous brush-off, what you wrote was:

quote:
I can assure you that we love our women!

In other words "we" are men and there are some extraneous women out there who "we" love. The church being essentially a body of men who might collectively love, or not, women, but among whom women are not counted. Not only very clearly patronising (and patriarchal) but far more sexist than the RCV dogma you are doing such a bad job of defending. Maybe you would sound more convincing if you talked as if you actually believed it rather than merely clinging to it as the biggest boat in the water after you jumped overboard from your previous one.

quote:
But they both trace their origins directly back to Apostles of Jesus Christ. Anglicanism traces its origins to Henry VIII's dynastic problems.

You are far too clever to believe such transparently ahistorical bollocks so I assume you are just posting it here to get Protestants riled.

As you know what Henry's lot did was take over the local government of the churches and sell much of its property to make money. Just as happened in France and Spain at various times. If there is anything very distinctive about the Church of England its what was decided in Elizabeth's reign, and when the monarchy was restored in 1660 and finally in the settlement of 1688. Henry's Reformation merely gave the English the space to run their own churches, but was of very little importance in deciding how they were to do it.

And of course those churches are just as much the direct descendents of the Apostles as are the Catholic and Orthodox. Or the Presbyterians.

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

quote:
quote:

I too am 57 and also a convert to the RCC. I agree.

What Ken said. Closer in fact. It's only in those traditions that the Augustinean heresy is being dumped.

Posted by Alfred E. Neuman (# 6855) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
...And of course those churches are just as much the direct descendents of the Apostles as are the Catholic and Orthodox. Or the Presbyterians.

I'm curious about this "apostolic succession" claim. Serious question - how do the various churches claiming this unbroken connection to Jesus (or Peter?) settle the problem of corrupt Popes such as Alexander VI (who evidently bought the title)?

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:
quote:

I too am 57 and also a convert to the RCC. I agree.
But, in fact, it is about what you believe - otherwise you couldn't be a convert, could you? You believe that your belief is different, because you believe that accepting this idea of discipline makes it different. The actual beliefs you hold within that discipline are secondary to your belief that you should accept that discipline - and that's just as much of a belief as the belief of someone who rejects it.

quote:
Originally posted by Alfred E. Neuman:
I'm curious about this "apostolic succession" claim. Serious question - how do the various churches claiming this unbroken connection to Jesus (or Peter?) settle the problem of corrupt Popes such as Alexander VI (who evidently bought the title)?

There is no Divine guarantee about the qualities of any individual in the apostolic succession, nor against damage they may do to other individual believers and the Church, merely a corporate guarantee from God that the Church will somehow survive and not force falsehood on its faithful irrevocably. What is important for the sacramental life of the Church is that the worthiness of the minister of a sacrament plays no role at all for its efficacy (as the early Church worked out in late antiquity contra the Donatists).

[ 15. May 2011, 22:21: Message edited by: IngoB ]

quote:
]There is no Divine guarantee about the qualities of any individual in the apostolic succession...

Are you saying the method of succession is not important but the connection to Jesus and Peter is simply in the title of Pope? That the structure of the Church is more important than the individuals holding positions within it or how they attain their rank?

It seems rather bizarre that an insurrectionist could take over the Holy See by force or intrigue, install himself as Pope and the succession would still be valid.

What example of corrupt succession would invalidate the connection to Peter?

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

And for example: how was it worked out who had the proper succession back at times when there were two popes with quite a few bishops, archbishops, cardinals, and secular rulers supporting their claims? The one who eventually came out on top by having appointed the cardinals who decided his successor who was more unequivocally known as "the Pope"?

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
And for example: how was it worked out who had the proper succession back at times when there were two popes with quite a few bishops, archbishops, cardinals, and secular rulers supporting their claims? The one who eventually came out on top by having appointed the cardinals who decided his successor who was more unequivocally known as "the Pope"?

No no no. It was always about who had the biggest stick.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Paul--

I'm glad you've found a faith home. I know it's been a long journey for you. I've had a long journey, too.

I accept that you're not in the RCC for misogynistic reasons. I don't think I've ever seen you say something misogynistic.

There are wonderful things about the faith practice of the RCC. (IMHO, not so much about the structure.) But there are misogynistic elements. Some people may simply accept them as part of the received faith, some may really be misogynists, and some may be a mixture of both.

From what I've seen over the years, you always try to be faithful to the current stop on your journey. You really go for it.

Just please be aware that the RCC is not perfect. I don't personally believe it is the repository of the One True Faith--but, even if it is, it's still imperfect.
[Angel]

quote:
Are you saying the method of succession is not important but the connection to Jesus and Peter is simply in the title of Pope?

No, I was saying that there's no Divine guarantee that a bishop will be saintly, competent, charitable, intelligent, etc. There's only a Divine guarantee that if a bishop does certain things, then God will make certain things happen. Among them is that a bishop can ordain other bishops.

quote:
That the structure of the Church is more important than the individuals holding positions within it or how they attain their rank?

That is true. I think the point you are missing is that the apostolic succession is ultimately not based on people, but on God. In fact, interestingly enough the religion I practiced previously, Zen Buddhism, also has a claim of unbroken succession to ancient times. But there it is a claim that enlightenment was passed "mind to mind" from one enlightened teacher to the other, originally from Shakyamuni Buddha to Mahakashyapa and then all the way to the enlightened Zen master in front of you. That is a claim based on people: all of these transmission must really be a "mind to mind" handing on of the enlightenment state (or at least there must have been a "enlightenment re-routing" past any failures), or the person in front of you may well be "fake" (at least there's no guarantee that they are enlightened). It doesn't work that way with bishops.

quote:
It seems rather bizarre that an insurrectionist could take over the Holy See by force or intrigue, install himself as Pope and the succession would still be valid.

The pope is not a guarantor of the apostolic succession (but of - wait for it - Christian unity). As far as ordination is concerned, the pope is simply a bishop, just as St Peter was simply an apostle. There are however special powers of governance attached to the position of St Peter, as leader of the apostles. This is basically like saying that a board of directors has a CEO, and that if the old one leaves he will get replaced, because the board of directors needs someone to be CEO. Historically, the "CEO of the RCC" has become associated with the see of Rome, and he happens to be elected to this position by a select group of fellow "board members of the RCC" (the cardinals - originally, these were simply the priests of the dioceses of Rome).

An insurrection that replaces the pope would hence not endanger the apostolic succession as such, but rather the governing process of the RCC. In fact, if the RCC was wiped out entire, a valid apostolic succession would continue chiefly among the Orthodox. Only if all validly ordained bishops worldwide were killed, then the apostolic succession would end.

quote:
What example of corrupt succession would invalidate the connection to Peter?

Since the successor of St Peter is simply elected by the bishops from the faithful, it is rather difficult to imagine how the connection could be terminally severed (other than by killing all bishops). What is of course possible is that there is no successor of St Peter for a while (happens every time a pope dies) or that it is unclear who got validly elected to be that successor (has happened with the so-called anti-popes). In some sense the latter does not really matter in the long run, as long as the governing system snaps back to normality at some point. Again, imagine a board of directors infighting, with multiple CEOs being "elected" at the same time. Of course this is no good for the company while it lasts. But if this gets sorted out eventually, then in some sense the only importance of determining who was the "real CEO" is to determine which orders given then actually had governing power behind them. And largely that will be sorted out by the new, now undisputed CEO confirming particular actions, and not others.

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
quote:
quote:
Finding a way to be in communion with the RCC (among others) without having to believe in every single dogma of that church is a significant part of my ecumenical journey.
It was the (quite clear to me) implication of TT's post.

quote:
quote:
Are you saying the method of succession is not important but the connection to Jesus and Peter is simply in the title of Pope?

No, I was saying that there's no Divine guarantee that a bishop will be saintly, competent, charitable, intelligent, etc. There's only a Divine guarantee that if a bishop does certain things, then God will make certain things happen.
Ah yes. Justification by works.

That was the trouble in the Reformation if I recall....

Jesus didn't speak about a Bishop doing certain things to guarantee salvation.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

No no no. It was always about who had the biggest stick.
In the most famous case the man with the biggest stick was King Sigismund of Hungary, Bohemia, Croatia, and quite a few other places.

And if you think the Reformation was a bad idea, and if you want to blame someone for it, blame him and his friend Pope Martin V. Because after they had fucked up the Council of Constance, it was going to happen.

quote:
Ah yes. Justification by works. That was the trouble in the Reformation if I recall....

Uhh, what? [Ultra confused] I was talking about sacramental functions, like consecrating the host so that it becomes the body of Christ. It's not something a human can do by his own power, obviously it requires God to act. And God precisely does not act because the human in question is particularly virtuous, very saintly or has done impressive works. God acts here because He has promised to do so under specific conditions, which happen to be fulfilled. It's very roughly as if God had issued a supply of cheques for specific supernatural acts to the apostles. The apostles were able to pass these on to whom they deemed worthy (that's ordination), and those who got cheques could pass them on further (that's the apostolic succession). Obviously, you can end up with the wrong sort of people getting hold of some cheques, and that has happened, is happening and will happen again. But to some extent that is our problem, really. God has not promised to monitor where every cheque may end up. He has promised to cash in the cheques as they are presented to Him, and that's what He does. (My analogy stinks in all sorts of ways, but given that the misunderstanding here is apparently total, it may at least be clear enough to restore some mutual comprehension...)

quote:
Jesus didn't speak about a Bishop doing certain things to guarantee salvation.

If bishops guarantee salvation at all, then only in a corporate sense, by keeping the "salvation service" Christ Himself has instituted for His faithful running in a concrete and practical manner here and now.

Thanks for the response, IngoB. It's clearer now.

IngoB - you don't see the irony do you?

quote:
quote:
Ah yes. Justification by works. That was the trouble in the Reformation if I recall....

Uhh, what? [Ultra confused] I was talking about sacramental functions, like consecrating the host so that it becomes the body of Christ. It's not something a human can do by his own power, obviously it requires God to act. And God precisely does not act because the human in question is particularly virtuous, very saintly or has done impressive works. God acts here because He has promised to do so under specific conditions, which happen to be fulfilled.
Getting a bit deep here...

I'm aware of the Donatist heresy. No qualms there.

But can you not see how sacramental ministry being effective under only certain conditions is much like Paul arguing against circumcision being necessary to effect the Grace of Christ?

What of ask, knock, receive?

I fail to see how apostolic succession can guarantee Grace.

Even if you think it does somehow, would not those bishops in the Anglican church of Henry the 8th have had their apostolic succession assured by the laying on of hands by the Catholic bishops? Would not those Anglican bishops that had rejected the Sea of Rome still have that succession intact?

Besides the question of how succession intimates Grace during the Eucharist, on what basis is apostolic succession considered true?

quote:
But can you not see how sacramental ministry being effective under only certain conditions is much like Paul arguing against circumcision being necessary to effect the Grace of Christ?

I can't. That is, I can see what you're getting at but I disagree. I think St Paul was saying that Gentiles don't need to put themselves under the Law of Moses and become Jews, in order to be Christians, and indeed that they should not do so. He wasn't (again, in my opinion) ruling out any action on the part of Christians to take hold of God's gifts.

quote:
It's an authority issue. Acts 19 hints that outside the authority of the Church we have no guarantees, although God can and does do what he wants, wherever he wants. Apostolic succession is then a means if identifying where the authority of the Church is in place. People will disagree over the definition, but that's what's going on.

quote:
Even if you think it does somehow, would not those bishops in the Anglican church of Henry the 8th have had their apostolic succession assured by the laying on of hands by the Catholic bishops? Would not those Anglican bishops that had rejected the Sea of Rome still have that succession intact?
Catholic-minded Anglicans say yes, Roman Catholics say no or at least, not sure enough to say yes. The arguments against though, are either that there was an actual break in the succession (that is Bishops were appointed who weren't properly ordained by Bishops) or that the intent to consecrate Bishops of the Church became defective (that is, a Bishop laying on hands and praying "Hocus Pocus" whilst trying to turn his victim into a frog, is unlikely to motivate the Holy Spirit to elevate the recipient to the purple). For what it's worth, the closest I've seen to a definitive answer from the Orthodox is that the succession is intact but does no good because we're not Orthodox.

I remain unconvinced and therefore still Anglican, and most Protestants reject the terms of the theory anyway, but if we're going to have the argument let's hit the real target.

<cross-post with GreyFace>

quote:

Firstly, the claim is not that we know that only a male priest standing in the apostolic succession can for example make God turn a piece of bread into the body of Christ. It is certainly within the power of God to do the same when some woman of Anglican orders goes through similar motions. And the question whether God actually does so or not can only be answered by second-guessing Him, which tends to be a bad idea. Rather, the claim is that only for a male priest standing in the apostolic succession we know that he can for example make God turn a piece of bread into the body of Christ. Since however it is idolatry to pray to a piece of bread, the risk of wrongly second-guessing God simply cannot be taken. (Furthermore, I would second-guess anyhow that the mentioned Anglican attempt will fail, for a variety of reasons. However, I happily admit that I could be wrong there.)

Secondly, the question Paul was busy with is not whether circumcision was good for the Jews (it was, see Romans 3:1-2), but whether it was required as well for gentile Christians. By projecting this controversy onto ours here, you are de facto assigning the status of "Jews" to traditional Christians and "Christians" to liberal Christians. I think that makes no sense at all, neither from a traditional nor from a liberal point of view. The question we are trying to answer is what the Lord asked us all to do back then, not how He has modified and interpreted old customs and laws recently. (Unless I missed the Second Coming...)

quote:

If you ask in your local RC parish, and knock about in their RCIA, then I'm confident that you will be received into the RCC. Whereupon you can for example ask your local RC priest for the sacrament of reconciliation, then knock your knees together in the confessional and I'm confident that you will eventually receive forgiveness of your sins. Of course, you may well favour a more abstract conception of "ask, knock, receive", because it is just much more convenient to ask yourself whether you are OK with God, knock down opposing thoughts, and thereby receive reassurance for getting on with life. I'm not saying that that does not work. Of course it might, God is merciful. Am I confident (Latin root: "with+faith") of that though? Nope...

quote:

It guarantees access to those channels of grace commonly called sacraments.

quote:

That's a technical and historical question, not one of principle. It appears that the apostolic succession has been broken among Anglicans. But I'm no expert in history or liturgy, I cannot judge that myself. I can just trust the judgement of others in this matter (in this case, of a pope being quite - though perhaps not infallibly - definite about it...). However, it is of course possible for an apostolic succession to exist outside of the communion with the successor of St Peter, e.g., the Orthodox one.

quote:
Besides the question of how succession intimates Grace during the Eucharist, on what basis is apostolic succession considered true?

Are you looking for an answer like this one? As far as I am concerned, the apostolic succession and the sacramental system make perfect sense. That's exactly what is needed to have a chance in hell to get people to heaven throughout history. The Protestant ansatz seems to me about as absurd as trying to replace schools and universities with internet access and Wikipedia. (Wikipedia is brilliant in its own way, of course, just not in the way needed.)

[ 17. May 2011, 13:43: Message edited by: IngoB ]

Posted by Invictus_88 (# 15352) on :

quote:
quote:

If you ask in your local RC parish, and knock about in their RCIA, then I'm confident that you will be received into the RCC. Whereupon you can for example ask your local RC priest for the sacrament of reconciliation, then knock your knees together in the confessional and I'm confident that you will eventually receive forgiveness of your sins. Of course, you may well favour a more abstract conception of "ask, knock, receive", because it is just much more convenient to ask yourself whether you are OK with God, knock down opposing thoughts, and thereby receive reassurance for getting on with life. I'm not saying that that does not work. Of course it might, God is merciful. Am I confident (Latin root: "with+faith") of that though? Nope...
As true as this is, perhaps we should be careful about stating it too derisively. In their heart of hearts, a lot of Protestants are weighed down by their accumulated sin and unstable in excusing themselves of it.
Given what's at stake, I'd add to the above the affirmation that the Church will welcome and not judge for earlier errors.

quote:
I was talking about sacramental functions, like consecrating the host so that it becomes the body of Christ. It's not something a human can do by his own power, obviously it requires God to act.

quote:
And then he posted:
Rather, the claim is that only for a male priest standing in the apostolic succession we know that he can for example make God turn a piece of bread into the body of Christ.

Its make-your-mind-up time! Which is it?

quote:
Also originally posted by IngoB:

It appears that the apostolic succession has been broken among Anglicans. But I'm no expert in history or liturgy, I cannot judge that myself. I can just trust the judgement of others in this matter (in this case, of a pope being quite - though perhaps not infallibly - definite about it...).

[Snore] Is this horse dead or just sleeping? [Snore]

Anyway, we were told upthread that it wasn't just about Popes but about bishops, priests, and laypeople, continuing churches. So even if the Pope and the heirarchy went off the rails the ordinary churches would still be in the Apostolic Succession. Which sounds fair enough.

But now you say Ahah! That's all theoretical! In practice what the Pope says goes despite all that!

Again, which is it?

Going back a page...

quote:
This is not to say that there is never a time to stand up to the Church in the name of one's conscience. There is a time and a season for "tough love".

Thanks for the detailed reply. It occurs to me that the Catechism could do with a key system indicating the infallibility level of the teaching - and that's not even slightly tongue-in-cheek.

Given then that the Church admits the possibility of her being in error and that one of the faithful might legitimately act against her teaching, how does this work out in terms of, for want of a better word, practical reconciliation theology? What I mean is since the possibility exists, then the Church must have developed a mechanism by which absolution can be granted for actions which she considers to be sinful that are not accepted by the penitent. Otherwise the direction to follow conscience over teaching makes no sense.

Is it that the person is deemed to lack culpability and is therefore not in need of absolution? Is a conditional absolution given just in case if the penitent acknowledges the possibility of being wrong?

quote:
Its make-your-mind-up time! Which is it?

Sorry? What you quoted is not self-contradictory. I cannot fly a helicopter. Say my friend can and owns a helicopter, and has promised to fly me around whenever I ask him to. Then it is both true that I cannot fly a helicopter (myself) and that I can fly around in one whenever I choose to (by asking my friend to fly me). My ability to use the helicopter relies not on me, but entirely on my friend - in particular, on him keeping his promise. A priest cannot turn bread into the body of Christ, but he can be certain that if He asks God in the right manner, then God will do so. Not because the priest can command God, but because God has promised that He would. And God keeps His promises without fail.

quote:
So even if the Pope and the heirarchy went off the rails the ordinary churches would still be in the Apostolic Succession. Which sounds fair enough. But now you say Ahah! That's all theoretical! In practice what the Pope says goes despite all that! Again, which is it?

I'm not sure what you mean by "ordinary churces" here. If this is supposed to mean something like "all churches besides the RCC", then you will not find me asserting anything like what you wrote. I said above "In fact, if the RCC was wiped out entire, a valid apostolic succession would continue chiefly among the Orthodox." There are other churches, like the Polish National Catholic Church, which the Holy See recognizes as having a valid apostolic succession while not being in communion with the pope. But this does not extend to the Reformation churches. Again, it is conceivable that the Holy See errs in some of these judgements. But I certainly have neither the knowledge nor the interest to challenge them. As far as I am concerned, there's precisely one fitting solution to absolutely all of this: become Roman Catholic (by which I also mean here Catholic in another particular Church that is in communion with the pope).

Posted by Chesterbelloc (# 3128) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
quote:
quote:
It was the (quite clear to me) implication of TT's post.
Did you miss the "which are not contrary to the Faith the Church has received" bit?

quote:
It occurs to me that the Catechism could do with a key system indicating the infallibility level of the teaching - and that's not even slightly tongue-in-cheek.

Well, I used to think that. Now I see that pastorally, that's probably a bad idea. As far as truths of faith go, you can consult the reasonably trustworthy compilation by Ludwig Ott. (That's a translation. If you speak German, you can get a much updated edition here.) I'm not aware of a similarly useful compilation concerning Catholic morals (suggestions much appreciated).

quote:
Given then that the Church admits the possibility of her being in error and that one of the faithful might legitimately act against her teaching, how does this work out in terms of, for want of a better word, practical reconciliation theology? What I mean is since the possibility exists, then the Church must have developed a mechanism by which absolution can be granted for actions which she considers to be sinful that are not accepted by the penitent. Otherwise the direction to follow conscience over teaching makes no sense.

Huh? If in the best of conscience you decide that X is not sinful, even though the Church says that it is, then you have nothing to confess or be reconciled about! You should then simply live your life as an otherwise faithful Catholic - and of course do X as proper occasion suggests. You think that you are not sinning, the Church thinks that you sin but are not culpable. The Church certainly cannot absolve you where you are not contrite, and how can you honestly repent of something that you do not consider as sinful? The sacrament of reconciliation follows a rite but is no charade.

quote:
Is it that the person is deemed to lack culpability and is therefore not in need of absolution? Is a conditional absolution given just in case if the penitent acknowledges the possibility of being wrong?

Indeed, you lack culpability for sins committed in following your best conscience. If you admit the possibility of being wrong, then you should follow the teachings of the Church. Because you should, by faith, follow the Church in love if not in mind. Only if you are sure and see the harm done in consequence (in particular to others) as not acceptable, then you should resist.

Here are some perhaps useful comments (in the context of confessing about married life, but generally applicable):
quote:
Vademecum for cofessors...
On the part of the penitent, the sacrament of Reconciliation requires sincere sorrow, a formally complete accusation of mortal sins, and the resolution, with the help of God, not to fall into sin again. In general, it is not necessary for the confessor to investigate concerning sins committed in invincible ignorance of their evil, or due to an inculpable error of judgment. Although these sins are not imputable, they do not cease, however, to be an evil and a disorder. ... Whenever the confessor considers it necessary to question the penitent, he should do so with discretion and respect.

The principle according to which it is preferable to let penitents remain in good faith in cases of error due to subjectively invincible ignorance, is certainly to be considered always valid ... And this applies whenever it is foreseen that the penitent, although oriented towards living within the bounds of a life of faith, would not be prepared to change his own conduct, but rather would begin formally to sin. Nonetheless, in these cases, the confessor must try to bring such penitents ever closer to accepting God's plan in their own lives, even in these demands, by means of prayer, admonition and exhorting them to form their consciences, and by the teaching of the Church.

Italics mine. Basically, a priest must not lead you into culpably sinning. His primary job is to get you into heaven best he can, as shepherd, not to defend the truths of Catholicism (for that you have me, self-appointed hammer of heretics, aren't you lucky... [Biased] ).

So Satan's OK then? He's right in his own eyes. Guilty of nothing. Ashamed of nothing.

quote:

Indeed, you lack culpability for sins committed in following your best conscience. If you admit the possibility of being wrong, then you should follow the teachings of the Church. Because you should, by faith, follow the Church in love if not in mind. Only if you are sure and see the harm done in consequence (in particular to others) as not acceptable, then you should resist.

I'm not sure how this works in practice. It seems from what you are saying that if you follow your best conscience, but it leads you to act in such a way that it contradicts the teaching of the church, it is only if you are "sure" you are right that you are not culpable. But, assuming that truth and goodness are not subjective but have their objective foundation in God, how can anyone ever be absolutely sure they are right, even when they are convinced in their conscience that such and such an action or decision is the one they must choose? To know something with absolute certainty would seem to be something only God can do. We finite creatures on the other hand can only do our best. Given that, can there ever be any occasion when in fact we are not morally culpable if we act against the teaching of the Church?

quote:
Originally posted by Invictus_88:
quote:
quote:

As true as this is, perhaps we should be careful about stating it too derisively. In their heart of hearts, a lot of Protestants are weighed down by their accumulated sin and unstable in excusing themselves of it.
Given what's at stake, I'd add to the above the affirmation that the Church will welcome and not judge for earlier errors.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

The Church doesn't judge, but you don't have a problem doing so?

[Smile] eee RuthW. ooda thought it.

How does one get past being patronized and ostracized by the biggest gang on the block in their helpless imparsimony AND having to rate them higher than ones self ?

Sigh.

quote:
If in the best of conscience you decide that X is not sinful, even though the Church says that it is, then you have nothing to confess or be reconciled about! You should then simply live your life as an otherwise faithful Catholic - and of course do X as proper occasion suggests. You think that you are not sinning, the Church thinks that you sin but are not culpable.
Can you flesh this out some more? It seems to me that this is dangerous territory. Are you saying that if I decide sexual acts outside of marriage are not sinful and I sincerely so believe even though the Church says they are, then, I'm not guilty of sin? I can still take Communion and participate in the Church and have the promise of heaven, even though I'm fornicating away? That would seem to lead to everyone potentially rationalizing his/her way out of sin.

Yeah and being a lying murderer is OK if you're OK with that, surely ?

© Ship of Fools 2016