homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Trumpton (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trumpton
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re restroom doors:

Sometimes, there's no *outer* door to the restroom. Have found that mostly at parks and state-owned rest stops. Some are designed that way, and others are simply missing a door that was there.

I've run into that kind of purposeful doorless design other places--multiplex theater, IIRC. Generally, the walls of the entry curve around, so you can't actually see anything unless you go in.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is often the case in airports as well. It's for the convenience not only of handicapped persons, but of persons towing rolling suitcases.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
The only place I've seen doorless stalls in public women's rooms in the U.S. is on Waikiki Beach many years ago (don't know if they still have them). I assume the doors were removed because of illegal activity, but using one while wearing a one-piece swimsuit is horrid.

Decision made by men, I assume.
Those I encountered were mostly in the desert South-west at remote, low visitor tourist sites so one is spared that level of indignity at least.

They have them in St. Louis city parks. All the women I know would rather dehydrate in the sun than use them.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At CPAC:

quote:
Trump told the country’s biggest annual gathering of conservative activists that he would crush the Islamic State, deport criminals, crack down on welfare, overhaul healthcare and put miners back to work.
[brick wall]

We seem to have a war on welfare here, while they want to give large businesses, some of whom pay little or no tax, tax cuts. But stuff the poor...stuff those struggling due to circumstances outside their control...stuff those mentally or physically ill...

Bloody politicians should have to live on benefits for a month and see how they go.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
That is often the case in airports as well. It's for the convenience not only of handicapped persons, but of persons towing rolling suitcases.

It's good for hygiene, too. A lot of people zip it up and then leave without washing their hands. I hate having to touch outside doors in those places.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trump* quotes painted on the bodies in this link are NSFW, and not safe for any civilized human being. Disgusting. The bodies on which they are painted are fine as far as I am concerned.

Re shaking trump's* hand. No. Don't do it.

*trump. gets a lower case t. low class, lower case.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I Know This Is A Christian Website, but this sounds like a Good Idea (if only for letting off steam.....):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39090334

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a writer friend who runs a New Agey shop in Gloucestershire. I have urged her to set up an online service; there are plenty of Americans who would pay good money for a working from a bona fide witch.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

All right, this is funny, but I'm not sure if the link will act -- it should take you to an image on Facebook. It is a nice chart of crystals and what they can do for you in the current political climate. My favorite: "Lapis lazuli. Get a big one and drop it on a racist's head. Great for warding off negative energy."

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live close to a botanica. I could get a candle for "The Seven African Powers." Pretty sure they could withstand extreme vetting.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
I hate having to touch outside doors in those places.

That's why God created elbows.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
I hate having to touch outside doors in those places.

That's why God created elbows.
So long as the doors open out. And don't have knob-shaped doorknobs.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But, alas and alack, a knob as PGiC. [Frown]

Heaven help us.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
I Know This Is A Christian Website, but this sounds like a Good Idea (if only for letting off steam.....):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39090334

[Two face]

IJ

Sorry, to me it doesn't. Quite apart from any spiritual significance, I find it negative, divisive and counterproductive.

In the knowledge that many Christians have severe problems with sorcery, this is more designed to animate them to become protective of Trump rather than actually do any real harm to him.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ian Climacus:
quote:
Bloody politicians should have to live on benefits for a month and see how they go.
A month isn't long enough. Six months. Even that isn't really long enough to give them a real taste of what people on benefits have to go through, because the politician will have lots of rich friends to scrounge meals off, all his/her work-related travel paid for, plenty of clothes and shoes to wear, insurance policies up to date, new or nearly new kitchen appliances...

Bet they wouldn't be expected to pay the bedroom tax either.

[ 27. February 2017, 09:28: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

A month isn't long enough. Six months. Even that isn't really long enough to give them a real taste of what people on benefits have to go through, because the politician will have lots of rich friends to scrounge meals off, all his/her work-related travel paid for, plenty of clothes and shoes to wear, insurance policies up to date, new or nearly new kitchen appliances...

This is the basis of Iain Duncan Smith's claim to understand unemployment and poverty isn't it ?

He trots out the tales of a month or so on the dole, neglecting to mention that at the time he was living rent free in a house on his father in laws estate.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Ian Climacus:
quote:

Bet they wouldn't be expected to pay the bedroom tax either.

And, most importantly, they know there's an end to it. We can cope with most things if we are sure they are time limited.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
chris s:
quote:
This is the basis of Iain Duncan Smith's claim to understand unemployment and poverty isn't it ?

He trots out the tales of a month or so on the dole, neglecting to mention that at the time he was living rent free in a house on his father in laws estate.

Yup. Just like the tosser who made the news today, claiming that because he only needed a few pills to get over his anxiety disorder all the people who are signed off work with it are malingering and not really disabled.

Or Nigel Farrago, whining that he daren't put his nose out of doors because UKIP is being demonised. So, he can dish it out but he can't take it? Poor fragile flower. How fortunate for him that he is rich and can afford bodyguards.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The execrable and deservedly ex-politician Rick Santorum (Google his name for a bit of fun, but not at work!) announced the other day that Americans draw on their health insurance for fun and profit. Yes, there's nothing like deliberately getting diabetes or kidney disease and thoroughly enjoying the experience as you rake in the cash. I think a long bout of swollen prostate would do him good.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another great link. This time to German Karnival (Mardi Gras) parade floats. On public streets in Germany, but they also like naked hiking. So borderline in the NSFW department.

German Carnival floats show Trump, May, other politicos no mercy

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The photo of the Statue of Liberty float should grace every postcard sent to the White House on March 15.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I've been routing postcards out of desk drawers, etc. for this purpose, so will not probably be able to make one with any particular image. However I do solicit advice on sentiments to write on the other side. I know people who are putting considerable effort into sonnets and so on. I think I may just write LIAR! in red sharpie.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget "Show us your taxes".

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Don't forget "Show us your taxes".

I've put that on several of mine.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow our e-mail address got on to a White House mailing list - they must think we are fans. We got a mass e-mailing yesterday asking us if we had any suggestions on how to make America great again, to help donald fart with his speech today. Oddly enough, we had quite a number of suggestions that I hope he will find useful, though we're not expecting a 'thank you' note for suggesting that a healthy and educated nation could be a great one. My recommendation to begin the impeachment proceedings as quickly as due process allows, was, I thought, a particularly helpful one. It's nice to be able to help a struggling leader when he asks.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My recommendation to begin the impeachment proceedings as quickly as due process allows, was, I thought, a particularly helpful one. It's nice to be able to help a struggling leader when he asks.

[Killing me]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Somehow our e-mail address got on to a White House mailing list ...

Me too. I did not respond, but reported it as spam and blocked it. The next day the sane thing. It seems to be non-blockable.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Go down to the bottom of the email and see if there is an 'unsubscribe' link. If there is, use it -- it ought to work. I was actually able to unsubscribe from Trump campaign mailings, which list I accidentally got onto when I went and voted for Marco Rubio in the GOP primary in my state. (It is an open primary, so any voter can roll in and vote -- my son told me that this would stop Trump. Alas...)

Oh, and the POST humor columnist discusses Lyin' Donald's speech last night. The money quote: "Yup, Donald Trump spoke to Congress, and he did not bite a live bat in half." Everyone in DC is delighted.

[ 01. March 2017, 14:29: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watched the speech last night. Interesting and not a little obvious when Trump tried to flex off script. He can't not embellish, and it's still odd to hear. Maybe he'll get out of campaign mode soon. Hated his remarks to the fallen Navy SEAL's widow. Sheesh.

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:
Hated his remarks to the fallen Navy SEAL's widow. Sheesh.

Smarmy is my word for those remarks. He took advantage of her while at the same time throwing "the generals" under the bus.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
He can't not embellish, and it's still odd to hear. Maybe he'll get out of campaign mode soon.

I don't think it is campaign mode. It is full-of-himself mode.

"It will not out of the fleshe, that's bred in the bone"*. The guy can't not show that he is what he is: "treat them like shit", "young and beautiful piece of ass", "grab them by the pussy", "must be a pretty picture you dropping to your knees", "blood coming out of her whatever".

Just read "USA" for "them", "her" and "your's". and read again with "the world".

*quote from John Heywood, 1546.

The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I mean, this bit: "And Ryan is looking down right now. You know that. And he’s very happy, because I think he just broke a record."

1. Trump knows there's a heaven & it's located beyond the sky.

2. Trump knows what the soul of Navy SEAL William "Ryan" Owens is doing *in* heaven -- nothing at all otherworldly -- just looking at Trump's talking party.

3. Trump knows that Ryan's widow knows that, too.

4. Trump knows that Wm. Owens is happy -- happy -- not b/c he's *in* heaven, but b/c the people who attended Trump's talking party clapped for Owens' visibly grieving widow for 4 min. Happy?! For applause?! I just can't even.

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I can't tolerate the sound of the man's voice. And I have to download that app, that swaps out his image in everything and replaces it with a picture of a kitten.

--------------------

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, and the POST humor columnist discusses Lyin' Donald's speech last night. The money quote: "Yup, Donald Trump spoke to Congress, and he did not bite a live bat in half." Everyone in DC is delighted.

Good call.

Meanwhile, this could/should have been your president:

Bernie Sanders takes the wrecking ball to DT's "speech" and says what Trump should have said.

...and he does it in 15 minutes. Eloquent. Measured. Coherent. Compelling. [Waterworks]

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

quote:
Originally posted by molopata:
quote:

Good call.

Meanwhile, this could/should have been your president:

Bernie Sanders takes the wrecking ball to DT's "speech" and says what Trump should have said.

...and he does it in 15 minutes. Eloquent. Measured. Coherent. Compelling. [Waterworks]

I was thinking the other day that if God looked like a human, he would be old, grumpy, immovable, right, and behind it all, compassionate. A lot like Bernie, in fact.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Trump Sons Detained At Vancouver Airport Due To Alleged Ties With Fascist Dictator. "The Trump boys, who have followed in their family’s rich tradition of leeching off their father,"

Okay it's humour. But!

No local politician would show up for the opening of their hotel.

quote:
Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump are in police custody at YVR airport this evening, after alleged ties to a fascist dictator surfaced during routine questioning.

The two sons of a former American billionaire, had flown to the pacific northwest for the unveiling of the new Trump tower in Downtown Vancouver.

There is another headline "Pope urges trumpf to give up presidency for Lent", which you may also read.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is a good (and free) of the Russian shenanigans to date.

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Places the BBC is currently prevented from reporting from by governmental action:

a) Zimbabwe
b) The White House

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(c) North Korea

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
(c) North Korea

I wonder who Kim Il-trump will ban next.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

It appears that donald fart believes that anti-semitic atrocities are really a way for his enemies to get at him. Lord, how much longer must we tolerate this pathetically paranoid weakling?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
(c) North Korea

I wonder who Kim Il-trump will ban next.
Or bump off.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
.... I just can't even.

Apparently on teh intrawebz, reactions were neatly divided between those who have a direct connection to the armed forces and those who don't. I'm proud to say despite not being military or sentimental about the military, I was APPALLLED. He actually said, "They lost Ryan." [Mad] I heard someone try to spin that as Drumpf saying the SEALS felt they lost one of their own, not Drumpf ducking responsibility. [Mad] Even if that was what he meant (in between blaming Obama and the generals), there's no excuse for such poor phrasing in his most important speech to date.

And if The Riv and I agree, we must both be right.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
T was wrong to say/do what he did. However, a small bit of good may have come of it: the soldier's wife looked like it was a much-needed catharsis, based on the changes in her face during the applause.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
This is a good (and free) of the Russian shenanigans to date.

We've heard that there are now more Russians in the White House than play for the Washington Capitals*.

(*NHL, National Hockey League)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Cheeto appointee says something stupid.*
Ben Carson, living refutation that a brain surgeon need not be able to use his own, calls slaves "immigrants".
Sam Jackson's response mirrored my own reaction.
quote:
OK!! Ben Carson....I can't! Immigrants ? In the bottom of SLAVE SHIPS??!! MUTHAFUKKA PLEASE!!!#dickheadedtom
*Yeah, I know.

[ 08. March 2017, 01:13: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

This video link is a short piece from 08 Mar 2017 CBC "The National". It asks if trump believes his untruths and documents some of them. It also asks about the media not labelling untruths.

I was greatly struck with the discussion of trumpy's speech to the USA Congress which was characterised as positive, "a game changer", "presidential" and other such silliness. The National focusses on several of these, the one I recall is that trump said there were 94 million Americans unemployed, which is sort of true, but only if you include retired people, full time students and several groups which have no intent to work at all. If only those who are truely unemployed and looking for work are included, the number is 9.5 million.

They also played video, with dates, of trumpy sometimes say "don't know Putin, never talked to him", which are interspersed with him saying "I have a relationship with Putin". What is true one day is false the next.

Can anyone tell us how it is that this man doesn't get completely skewered for his falsehoods? I just don't get it.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
This video link is a short piece from 08 Mar 2017 CBC "The National". It asks if trump believes his untruths and documents some of them. It also asks about the media not labelling untruths.

I was greatly struck with the discussion of trumpy's speech to the USA Congress which was characterised as positive, "a game changer", "presidential" and other such silliness. The National focusses on several of these, the one I recall is that trump said there were 94 million Americans unemployed, which is sort of true, but only if you include retired people, full time students and several groups which have no intent to work at all. If only those who are truely unemployed and looking for work are included, the number is 9.5 million.

They also played video, with dates, of trumpy sometimes say "don't know Putin, never talked to him", which are interspersed with him saying "I have a relationship with Putin". What is true one day is false the next.

Can anyone tell us how it is that this man doesn't get completely skewered for his falsehoods? I just don't get it.

He IS repeatedly skewered for his falsehoods-- daily, and in multiple venues. A whole more-than-cottage industry of fact checkers has arisen. The problem is, neither he nor his followers seem to care. And to some degree the repeated infractions only undermine the discussion-- people have heard it so many times they have started tuning out the issue of his fabrications.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Then the problem is why enough Americans don't think the truth is an issue. Not being an American and not being immersed in the culture, it boggles.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Then the problem is why enough Americans don't think the truth is an issue. Not being an American and not being immersed in the culture, it boggles.

Truth, like any other value humans have, will have variable weight depending on the context. This is true in Canada as well as the US. And UK for that matter. There is also the fatigue factor that I do not think Canadians are any different to.
Add in that many people seem to accept any number of flaws if it advances particular agenda of their own.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016