Thread: Birthdays, Anniversaries and Other Significant Dates Board: All Saints / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=006059

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

Welcome to our new thread to mark and celebrate the significant dates for Shipmates.

You can post here telling us of forthcoming events that you want to note and celebrate - tell us (if you want to) when your birthday is approaching, or an anniversary, the feast day of a favourite saint, or you think we need to celebrate "put a pillow on the fridge day".

Please don't post more than two weeks ahead of the day. We don't want to be embarrassed for forgetting the birthday you told us about 6 months before. A link giving further information about a particular memorial day or event is appreciated.

To help you out, there is a plethora [wealth?] of resources on the internet for listing of events for all sorts of events and communities worldwide such as:

Holidays Worldwide
The Old Farmer's Almanac
Interfaith Calendar
Awareness Day Calendar
Days Of The Year

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

As we are starting a new system of marking the Ship's calendar, it is perhaps altogether fitting and appropriate to observe that September 1 is Calendar Adjustment Day.

Posted by ElaineC (# 12244) on :

Tomorrow Mr C and I celebrate our 41st Wedding Anniversary.

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:
Tomorrow Mr C and I celebrate our 41st Wedding Anniversary.

Wow! Congratulations!

On 8th September the Tubblet will be 12. She also starts secondary school this month too! [Eek!]

Tubbs

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

Congratulations Elaine and Mr. C.! [Smile]

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

Congratulations, Mr and Mrs C!

Interestingly, 7th September is buy a book day, yet read a book day is on the 6th. Wouldn't it make more sense to swap them around, so you buy a book and then read it?

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

No, no. You finish your current book on the 6th, buy another on the 7th.

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

Well, yes, there is that. But surely every day is read and buy a book day....

(can you tell I'm awaiting a parcel with, I think, 5 or 6 books in it?)

[ 01. September 2015, 08:52: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Friday, September 4 is Bring Your Manners to Work Day. I may just have to call in sick.

September 4 is the first game of Fordham University's 2015-16 football season, but I imagine that is only of interest to an old alumni like myself.

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Friday, September 4 is Bring Your Manners to Work Day ...

I bring my manners everywhere with me, and they're nearly always quite good ... [Angel]

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Interestingly, 7th September is buy a book day, yet read a book day is on the 6th. Wouldn't it make more sense to swap them around, so you buy a book and then read it?

It gets worse! Read a Book is the 6th, Buy a Book is the 7th, but Literacy Day isn't until the 8th!!

According to posts on Facebook Wednesday 9th September is International Buy a Priest a Beer Day. I've also seen mention of it as Buy Your Pastor a Beer Day. Which is I'm sure many on the Ship would appreciate.

What better way of spending a day, a pint and a good book!

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

September 4th is also Simon's birthday. Have a good one mein Kapitan.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Yes indeed - and no falling in de water!

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
It gets worse! Read a Book is the 6th, Buy a Book is the 7th, but Literacy Day isn't until the 8th!!

Ah, but:

6 Sept. "Read A Book Day." Borrow book from library. Enjoy it hugely, stay up late to finish it.

7 Sept. "Buy A Book Day." Decide to buy own copy and return library version.

8 Sept. "Literacy Day." Filled with enthusiasm for reading, return to library to borrow more, stop off at bookshop and splurge on sale, go home and buy sequels online. Consider joining book group so as to have something else to do in evening, but phone Bookaholics Anonymous Hotline instead.

Makes sense to me.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Apparently it was World Beard Day yesterday.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Five years ago today my best friend and canoeing buddy died of cancer. We did two trips after he was diagnosed. One between bouts of chemo, one between bouts of radiation. If you go to nfb.ca, and search for the film 'waterwalker', you will get an idea of the spirituality we found in wilderness canoeing. It is really worth watching if you want understand Jesus walking on the water, but not quite like you are used to.

We are sitting on the edge of a lake and saying compline like we always did just now. By God, much can happen and does in 5 years. Are there canoes in heaven? And campfires? And tea?

Surely there must be tea in Heaven - probably a nice full leaf Orange Pekoe.

Important anniversary for me today - doesn't time fly?

If there isn't Earl Grey in Heaven, I suspect D. will want to go t'other way ... [Big Grin]

Whatever your anniversary is, Wodders, congratulations! [Smile]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Definitely campfires, no prophet..

Sunday was Fight Procrastination Day, but I kept putting off posting it. I'll actually get round to fighting procrastination tomorrow.

Posted by Chapelhead (# 21) on :

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Are there canoes in heaven? And campfires? And tea?

I understand that there is a large river (of life) in heaven, and a glassy sea, so canoeing shouldn't be a problem. There is definitely fire (for burning incense before the altar, among other things), and God seems quite keen on tents (of meeting) so campfires should be fine. As for tea, well, in heaven, all will be comforted. The way to comfort a person is to offer them a hot beverage, as Sheldon's mother taught him. As Mrs Cooper knows a thing or two about God and heaven, I think we can conclude that in heaven tea will be provided.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
As for tea, well, in heaven, all will be comforted. The way to comfort a person is to offer them a hot beverage, as Sheldon's mother taught him. As Mrs Cooper knows a thing or two about God and heaven, I think we can conclude that in heaven tea will be provided.

Doesn't Isaiah 40 invite us to "Come for tea, come for tea my people, saith your God"?

Indeed it does. It doesn't actually mention CAKE, but it wouldn't be very Heavenly without it, would it? [Smile]

Presumably Angel Food Cake?

Posted by Chapelhead (# 21) on :

But not raisin cake.

September 9 is the feast day of St. Peter Claver, the Patron Saint of Negro Missions. In the early 17th century, he worked to abolish the Negro slave trade.

It is also the feast days of St. Wilfrida and St. Wulfhilda.

[tangent]To be honest, reading up on both of them, there seems to be a large amount of overlap between their stories, making me wonder whether they are actually the same person, or two people whose life histories have been blended:

St. Wilfrida (a/k/a Wuifritha and Wulfthryth) was born circa 937, and gave birth to a daughter by King Edgar I (Edgar the Peaceful) out of wedlock. Some stories have Edgar carrying her off from a nunnery at Wilton Abbey and she returning there after the birth of her daughter (who would become St. Edith of Wilton). Other versions have her going to the Abbey for the first time after the birth of Edith to atone for her...ummm...interactions with the king. In any event, Wilfrida eventually becomes the abbess of Wilton, dying circa 988.

St. Wulfhilda (a/k/a Wlfhildis)was a novice at Wilton Abbey and King Edgar the Peaceful sought her hand in marriage, eventually tricking her to come to him (under the belief that she was going to see her sick aunt). She was alarmed at his "fervour" and fled, leaving her sleeve in his hand and she went back to Wilton Abbey. No child is mentioned in her story. She goes on to be come the Abbess of Barking (not of Wilton) and establishes another monastery at Horton. Oh, and allegedly Edgar the Peaceful's wife became jealous of her and, after Edgar's death deposed her as Abbess of Barking until Wulfhilda was restored to the position by Edgar's son, the memorable Ethelred the Unready. This doesn't quite fit, though, as Edgar died circa 975 and Wulfhilda apparently didn't even become Abbess until 993.

You get my point. If these are two different women, it seems pretty clear that their respective histories have been merged.

[/tangent, and thank you for your patience]

Not a feast day as such, but I think it's worth noting that on 9th September 2015, Queen Elizabeth II becomes the longest-reigning monarch in British history, breaking the record held by her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, who presumably Is Not Amused.

Congratulations, Your Majesty. [Smile]

Posted by marzipan (# 9442) on :

Tomorrow is our fourth wedding anniversary. Doesn't seem like that long! (And on Saturday my friend who was my bridesmaid is getting married)

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Not a feast day as such, but I think it's worth noting that on 9th September 2015, Queen Elizabeth II becomes the longest-reigning monarch in British history, breaking the record held by her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, who presumably Is Not Amused.

Congratulations, Your Majesty. [Smile]

And the first in modern imperial history (beginning with Elizabeth I), as well. The Maple Crown salutes you)

quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:
Tomorrow is our fourth wedding anniversary. Doesn't seem like that long! (And on Saturday my friend who was my bridesmaid is getting married)

Congratulations. May you have many more years ahead.

Congratulations, Marzipan! [Smile]

The Rural Fire Service in NSW has designated this weekend as Get Ready Weekend.

Advice for any in fire prone areas, not just NSW and a reminder that it is not just outlying bush areas which are in danger. Sydney has suburbs which burn easily.

Anyone in an area where disaster of any sort can strike should have a plan to deal with an emergency. It is not just for bushfires.

The reminder is a good addition to the household calendar.

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

It's my birthday! and (in slightly hushed tones) I'm 64 - eek!
[Ultra confused]
Please, no choruses of dodgy Beatles tunes...

Mrs. S, who has as yet no grandchildren (and will protest most vigorously if Miss S shows signs of naming them Vera, Chuck or Dave!)

Happy Birthday, you youngster, you.

I have no kids so no grandkids but my siblings and their kids seem to be quite prolific and I have nieces and nephews and great nieces and great nephews galore - the oldest of those greats is a great nephew of 30 and another of 29 so great-greats might not be far away!

The Beatles song (dodgy or otherwise) is "When I'm 64", not "Now I'm 64". So, it's totally irrelevant. Happy Birthday.

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
[Ultra confused]

It's all relative. I can remember at the age of 11 looking at the sixth-formers who were a staggering 18 years old and grown-ups and finding it hard to imagine I'd ever be that age. When I was 21, 30 seemed a lifetime away and a horrible fate and so old. When I was 39 I didn't want to be 40. It was frightening and middle-aged.

Now that I'm 50-something (which I find hard to believe) I realize that it's not actually that old at all. Enjoy being 64, take each day as it comes and make the most of what you've got while you still have it. Happy birthday!

Many happy returns, Mrs. S. [Smile]

Ariel's right - I too remember when 17 was irredeemably ancient, and while I'm not sure that I can get my head round the fact that I'm in my fifties, I can't really say it bothers me. After all, I can do the square root of bugger-all about it ... [Big Grin]

Thank you all - but actually, I don't really mind 64. Lots of people of that age are in worse nick than I am, I don't feel like a Little Old Lady (you'd be horrified how many Little Old Ladies of 60 there are in older novels [Ultra confused] ) and I'm still able to do most of what I want to do, thank the Lord for all his mercies.

I still have friends older than me, which is good - I suspect distress sets in when you become the oldest person you know!

Oh, and many congratulations on all the wedding anniversaries. [Overused] You can't help having birthdays, but anniversaries can require putting in considerable amounts of W*rk!

Mrs. S, still elated from yesterday

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

And a very happy Various Life Event Celebration to everyone. [Big Grin] Breath of fresh air after previois day of angry memes and ritual TV somberness.

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
[Ultra confused]
Please, no choruses of dodgy Beatles tunes...

Mrs. S, who has as yet no grandchildren (and will protest most vigorously if Miss S shows signs of naming them Vera, Chuck or Dave!)

Ooh, I think we share the 9/11 birthday, happy birthday! ... I've just turned 50, but will be celebrating it tomorrow.

In which case, Trudy, I wish you Happy Birthday Celebrations and belated Happy Birthday.

Many happy returns, Trudy! [Smile]

Happy Rosh Hashanah!

We do, Trudy - 9/11 was actually MY 50th birthday! (and also, quite coincidentally the day my beloved car (The Precious) was first registered, though I didn't buy her till almost three years later.

(still love her dearly [Axe murder] )

Hope you had a lovely day - mine included a trip up the scaffolding to see the new roof being put on to Hinton Ampner (note to non-soft-southern-shippies - a lovely NT property between Winchester and Petersfield)

Mrs. S, older but no wiser [Killing me]

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

Just to join the party, albeit late. 9/11. And surprisingly, very slightly younger. Still on the whippersnapper side of 50.

Belated felicitations, you young bit thing! [Big Grin]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Arrrr! Tomorrow* be International Talk Like a Pirate Day me hearties!

*In fact it will be ITLAPD in a matter of minutes in the South-western Pacific.

Well, me timbers have never been so shivered!

This is my sort of pirate ... [Big Grin]

Yes, yes!

I prefer this pirate (I actually saw that production. As well as Tim Curry as the Pirate King, the performance I saw also had Pamela Stephenson as Mabel, George Cole as the Major General, Bonnie Langford as Kate and Michael Praed as Frederick)

quote:
This is my sort of pirate ... [Big Grin]

Yes, yes!

Thanks, I like that pirate!

Today is World Gratitude Day.

So, thank you to everyone who has contributed to making the Ship the place that so many of us gain so much from. Everyone who has contributed to the discussions, the games, the creative silliness. Even those who posted the stuff we all disagree with, allowing us to hone our arguments for what we do believe in.

Thank you for the reminder, Alan. I did indeed have cause to be grateful and was glad to feel that way.

Well said Alan - my life has been much more fun since the Ship became part of it.

Thanks everyone! [Smile]

Happy Elephant Appreciation Day! Have you hugged your elephant today?

quote:
Happy Elephant Appreciation Day! Have you hugged your elephant today?

Does the day still apply to the elephant in the room? [Biased]

It is almost two years since Miss M, my granddaughter was diagnosed with ALL, acute leukaemia. Still on chemo and will be for a while. However doctors are happy with the way things are going.

Today she turns 11 and will have a small party at a park this afternoon. She offers you a disposable cup which she has filled with multi coloured layers of different flavoured jelly. A very sweet tooth. She thanks you for prayers, as do her dad and I.

Happy birthday, Miss M - you keep on fighting!

[Smile]

Today is Drink Beer Day. Which seems pretty pointless, doesn't everyone drink beer everyday?

|     |
|     |--
|     |  |
|     |--
|     |
------

I have always liked wine but for a long time I did not like beer. I think this was a memory o 6:00 pm closing when I was a child. Drinkers would spill out of the pub and the place would stink of spilt beer.

Then my adult sons introduced me to boutique beers down here. Now I am a fan of the good stuff.

For me, Wednesday is Drink Beer Day - I always have a pint after choir practice, but very rarely otherwise.

Noted! I was given some very nice beer for my birthday, so I have a better reason than ever.

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
I have always liked wine but for a long time I did not like beer. I think this was a memory o 6:00 pm closing when I was a child. Drinkers would spill out of the pub and the place would stink of spilt beer.

Then my adult sons introduced me to boutique beers down here. Now I am a fan of the good stuff.

I still can't stand any beer (lager, cider, ale, bitter, stout, etc). The smell of it is repulsive and the taste abominable. [Projectile] Some wines are OK, but I hate the dry whites. What's the point of a drink that dries your mouth out like it's got sand in it?

Give me port or mead any day.

According to my paper today is the International Day of Older Persons, so I suppose that might include me as a 66 year old.

Happy International Day of Older Persons [what a cumbersome title] to all who fit the criteria. I think I'll think of it as Old Fogies Day as it gives me more of an excuse to irascible - not that I've ever needed one being sweetness and light personified.

[Cool]

Happy Crumblies' Day? [Big Grin]

[tangent]
Am I alone in finding the plural "persons" a bit cumbersome? What's wrong with "people"?
[/tangent]

[ 01. October 2015, 03:30: Message edited by: Piglet ]

I've been getting promotional mail from Saga, who specializes in financial services for older folk, since I turned fifty.

I find it depressingly useful [Frown]

[pedant alert]
According to Google this is "Teacher's Day".

Yes, really. If you scroll over the Google doodle, you get a message saying "Teacher's Day 2015" (my bold).

I wonder which one of the x million teachers in the world is the one to be honoured this year?

You'd imagine an organisation the size of Google could afford to employ someone who understands the use of the apostrophe.
[/pedant alert]

However, assuming that it's not directed at one specific teacher, a great big "hello" to all the teachers out there - you're doing a great job and deserve all the recognition you can get.

[Overused]

I think it's a sign that we should all partake of a particular brand of whisky today. [Yipee]

Sorry Sipech - that particular brand of whisky is only useful for cleaning one's headlamps ... [Devil]

It doesn't do a bad job of getting a BBQ going either.

Never thought of that - you learn something new every day. [Big Grin]

74 years ago today, 8th October 1941, a Royal Artillery Bombardier [or seargent?] married an Assistant Librarian and part time Can-Can dancer [yes, seriously] and subsequently they had three sons, of which I am the youngest - and prettiest.

Happy Anniversary to my Mum & Dad, long dead but never forgotten.

'twas on a Saturday morning, after nigh on a two week delay, that my mother did give birth to a son.

An integer-power-of-2 years later, that son seems to have found himself posting on an internet forum that thinks its a boat.

Happy birthday, Sipech.

Yes indeed, you're looking good for 128!

Erm, okay, 64, you young thing, you.

Many happy returns, Sipech! [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Yes indeed, you're looking good for 128!

Erm, okay, 64, you young thing, you.

Same conclusion I reached.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ Happy birthday tooo yoouuu Sipech! ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

My mum would have been 88 today - hope you're having a GIN and tonic in Heaven, Mum. [Tear]

The ever famous Neph turned 19 yesterday, and today was spent celebrating with pizza and various libations. Many years, Neph! [Axe murder]

Happy Birthday , Neph. It seems a while since I have heard of you on these boards. Have a great day.

quote:
74 years ago today, 8th October 1941, a Royal Artillery Bombardier [or seargent?] married an Assistant Librarian and part time Can-Can dancer [yes, seriously] and subsequently they had three sons, of which I am the youngest - and prettiest.

Happy Anniversary to my Mum & Dad, long dead but never forgotten.

I missed this earlier but it does account for your legs, which you have mentioned. [Biased]

[Hot and Hormonal] - but these days the varicosing is marring the effect a bit.

[Waterworks]

You'll just have to wear thicker stockings ... [Devil]

Happy birthday, Neph! [Smile]

quote:
You'll just have to wear thicker stockings ... [Devil]

Huh, I don't even think he owns a pair!

It's true, I rarely wear very much.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

A sadder anniversary - 49th anniversary of the Aberfan disaster [Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
A sadder anniversary - 49th anniversary of the Aberfan disaster [Votive]

A friend posted this on FB yesterday. I was at school 2,000 miles away and the headteacher told us about Aberfan at morning assembly next day (which allowing for time differences would be 49 years right now, almost to the minute). Many of us had already heard about it on the radio but to hear about it in the school context was very powerful.

[Votive] A community still mourning.

Such disasters affect not only families but communities for years.

[Votive] [Votive]

Yes, a schoolfriend had been home for lunch, I think, and brought back the news - it was a very quiet classroom that afternoon.

A year ago, Parliament Hill was under attack by a lone gunman. He killed one soldier and was slaughtered in return. There was a ceremony to mark this at the National War Memorial.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

Today would have been my wife Kristi's 65th birthday. Hardly seems possible. Memory eternal, dear.

Today is the 600th anniversary of the Battle of Agincourt, in celebration of which we had some nicely mediaeval-sounding organ music this morning.

Full-time score: England 1, France 0. [Devil]

Yesterday was our 41st wedding anniversary [Yipee] - there were times when I was sure we'd never make it, but here we are. Thank you to God and to everyone else who has supported us on this journey!

Mrs. S, rejoicing again [Axe murder]

Congratulations Mr and Mrs S.

Thank you Loth!

Congratulations from over here too! [Smile]

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

I have a certain affection for St Ercus, whose feast day is celebrated on 2nd November.

Remember, remember! The fifth of November, The Gunpowder treason and plot…

For those in the UK, enjoy the fireworks safely. Check there's no wildlife sheltering in the bonfire before you light it.

The rest of us will have no such fun (the best I'll manage is the regular loud fireworks set off by the local school ... at 6 in the morning!)

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Ha! the anniversary of Mr. Lamb's installation as pastor here. I remember thinking Guy Fawkes' Day was appropriate. [Devil]

quote:
Remember, remember! The fifth of November, The Gunpowder treason and plot…

For those in the UK, enjoy the fireworks safely. Check there's no wildlife sheltering in the bonfire before you light it.

The rest of us will have no such fun (the best I'll manage is the regular loud fireworks set off by the local school ... at 6 in the morning!)

First time I ever went to England we landed on the afternoon of bonfire night. It was also (they said) the worst rain storm to hit the UK in decades. We saw one lonely oil drum bonfire sputtering on a rooftop across from our hotel.

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

It always rains on bonfire night. The Good Lord knows we cannot be trusted with fire so sets the sprinklers to over time.

Jengie

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

Today is the Day of Black Consciousness in Brazil.

On this date in 1928, John Barrymore married Dolores Costello.

This union would result in two children (Dolores Ethel Mae Barrymore and John Drew Barrymore). On his fourth marriage, John Drew Barrymore would father Drew Barrymore.

Today is Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day - I celebrated mine by having a 2 hour nap this afternoon - I'm really good at naps!

I have a unique talent for being born on this day [Big Grin]

No wonder you are so uniquely talented! Happy Birthday!

Felicitations Kelly!

[Yipee]

Now, some may consider the last Thursday in November to already be a special day to give thanks.

But, don't forget the even more important celebration. Today is Cake Day [Big Grin]

Did someone mention CAKE? [Yipee]

While I'm here, may I wish all our American shippies seasonal felicitations and happy turkey-eating?

[Smile]

The Feast of Saint Andrew today. Patron Saint of Scotland, in the Western tradition and of many places within the Eastern tradition.

I cooked a haggis supper last night after our prayer meeting. OK, so it was haggis from cans (because I didn't fancy the logistical difficulties of bringing a proper haggis half way around the world). Tatties were simple. Neeps a bit more challenging, I resorted to a mix of carrot and diakon - which worked quite well.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

You probably couldn't get any Irn Bru, though ...

We have a bottle ready to be opened later.

No, I didn't use any of my 23kg allowance to carry Irn Bru. Just single malt whisky.

Proper thing too - although you could possibly use the Irn-Bru if you over-indulge in the whisky ... [Big Grin]

Happy St. Andrew's Day to all, and happy haggis-hunting! [Smile]

[Hot and Hormonal]

Yesterday I missed putting World AIDS Day on here - after 30+ years the fight goes on and the search for a cure continues. Like many gay men I have lost a number of friends to the disease - but remember that worldwide it is primarily a disease that affects women and that, as in most things, the poor are the most vulnerable - but is a disease that can strike anyone.

Today is Disability Day so let us please be aware of how the world around us disables so many people and how something as sample as a single step can disable others - not so far from here and very close to where we used to live they built a beautiful new mosque with a fabulous ramp up from street level to improve access - except at the bottom of the ramp was a step! Thus wheelchair users were unable to worship there.

Today is also Roof over your Head Day just to help us realise that there are a lot of people in this world who don't have this luxury - and mainly we just take it for granted - I know I do.

Posted by barrea (# 3211) on :

on Wednesday we shall (God Willing)be celebrating our 65th Wedding Anniversary. Time goes by so quickly. Has anyone else on SOF been married longer. We have had some hard times. But God has been with us and we have survived.praise Him.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

Blimey, barrea. Very impressive. Many congratulations.

Congratulations to you both, barrea.

Great to hear from you again barrea. Many congratulations!

Congratulations, Barrea - that really is quite some achievement! [Smile]

December 4: Bartender Appreciation Day.

I believe I can do that... [Smile]

Today is also World Wildlife Conservation Day - and added to that I saw a mongoose dash across the road in front of us on the way back from the shops. Cute but can be vicious.

quote:
Today is also World Wildlife Conservation Day - and added to that I saw a mongoose dash across the road in front of us on the way back from the shops. Cute but can be vicious.

No surprise. It's basically a tropical ferret on steroids, and ferrets are best known for getting their teeth into anything and not letting go.

Posted by MrsBeaky (# 17663) on :

quote:
Originally posted by barrea:
on Wednesday we shall (God Willing)be celebrating our 65th Wedding Anniversary. Time goes by so quickly. Has anyone else on SOF been married longer. We have had some hard times. But God has been with us and we have survived.praise Him.

Many congratulations to you both- that is certainly something worth celebrating!

Some folks here [including a penguin person] will be excited that today is Sachertorte Day but it is also World Soil Day so is pretty darned important when it comes to some of the little things, like FOOD!

We like Food!

I saw on the Rural Fire Service page that today is Volunteers Day. I did much volunteer work for many years. I am grateful for the thousands who volunteer down here, particularly those like rescue services and fire fighting.

quote:
Originally posted by barrea:

Many years! [Smile]

So Hanukkah started at sundown yesterday, and we still have a few days to celebrate the Festival of Lights.

December 7, 1787: My home state of Delaware became the first state to ratify the United States Constitution. Hence, Delaware is billed as "The First State."

Of course, December 7 is also National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day to remember the 1941 surprise attack on Pearl Harbor.

Congratulations barrea and Mrs barrea!

My Better Half is turning 60 today. Am I really old enough to have a husband who qualifies for a bus-pass?

[Smile] [Axe murder]

No, you aren't - at least, not in Britain! [Frown]

The age is going up: I will be 62 in February but I won't qualify for my Pass until 2019. Things may be different in Canada.

Anyway, congratulations - is he having a special Recital to celebrate?

Posted by Abigail (# 1672) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
The age is going up: I will be 62 in February but I won't qualify for my Pass until 2019.

Move to London! We get ours at 60! (it was the only thing about turning 60 last year that i actually enjoyed [Big Grin] )

[ 10. December 2015, 12:40: Message edited by: Abigail ]

Now that I think about it, I don't even know if it applies here or not. There are one or two places (restaurants, cinemas etc.) that offer "senior discounts", and he's been offered them for years, as his hair's somewhat white ... [Big Grin]

I understand from friends in the Irish Republic that you not only get a bus-pass, but free train travel when you're an OAP (not sure whether the cut-off is 60 or 65). We used to know a couple in Cork who would use it to go up on the train to Dublin to baby-sit their grandchildren.

BT - no recital (he just did an ordinary one yesterday). We are, however, doing some restaurant research in the evening. [Smile]

[ 10. December 2015, 13:30: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

posted by Abigail
quote:
Move to London! We get ours at 60!
Whereas those of us who don't live in the capital don't. If you are 60 this month you won't get your bus pass until your 66th birthday - maybe. Latest word from DWP requesting my projected pension details is that I should receive my pension at age 66 with the caveat that the information "is correct at the time of writing" - make of that what you will.

quote:
Am I really old enough to have a husband who qualifies for a bus-pass?

That is entirely his own fault for marrying a child-bride thirty years his junior...

quote:
My Better Half is turning 60 today. Am I really old enough to have a husband who qualifies for a bus-pass?

[Smile] [Axe murder]

Perhaps it is different in Canada's newest province, but in Ontario, I got mine at 65. I get a lot of senior discounts - one today without even asking. [Eek!]

My bus pass is not free, not at all. But $42.50 a month beats $125 a month all hollow.

quote:
We are, however, doing some restaurant research in the evening. [Smile]

Gosh ... how many meals will you be trying (for comparative reasons, of course)? [Devil]

Just one this evening - and it was a very good one - my saffron risotto with veal cheek was one of the nicest things I've ever eaten. [Smile]

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Happy birthday to a much loved musician.

Oh, and Beethoven too... [Razz]

And you managed to get that into a Hell thread too. Congratulations [Big Grin]

My brother Dave (deuce2) died seven years ago today. It doesn't seem that long, and the ache in my heart is just as big as it was that day. I wouldn't want him back, sick as he was with pancreatic cancer, but I miss him. [Tear]

Hugs Pete. I was thinking of him yesterday and wondering how long ago it happened. There is always a hole. Raw grief may ease, but the hole remains.

Today is International Migrants Day and this year it seems most appropriate as there are so many migrants in the world - both migrants by force and migrants by choice - I'm one of the latter and am a descendant of Huguenots who were the former.

Another Migrant By Choice checking in - I'll join you in a wee celebration! [Smile]

Not much of the migrant about me but Mrs S and Youngest Son were born in Malta, her mother has Breton forebears and her Irish father has some Norwegian. Me? British and a bit of French, way back.

December 21 is International Dalek Remembrance Day.

quote:
December 21 is International Dalek Remembrance Day.

I think that deserves a little commemoration.

EX - TERM - IN - ATE!!!

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

Today is the anniversary of my escape from the claustrophobic confines of the womb. All shall make merry. On pain of death.

[Big Grin]

To hear is to obey, O Great One.

[Overused]

Many happy returns, M the M! [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Today is the anniversary of my escape from the claustrophobic confines of the womb. All shall make merry. On pain of death.

[Big Grin]

I read yesterday that December 21st was International Dalek Day. We'd better be careful.

(Otherwise Marvin, have a great birthday! I'll get a bottle of something out and raise one to you.)

As I understand these things, which is nowhere near as well as I should, Milad un-Nabi, or the Feast of the the Birth of the Prophet, is staring about now, here though the date given in most calendars is 24th December, which will be a public holiday here. Like many of the major feasts in both Judaism and Christianity in Islam they are taken to start at sunset the previous calendar day.

Of course as Islam uses the Lunar calendar the feasts move forward by about 11 days a year.

December 25. Of course there is a major holiday celebrated on this day....

Pumpkin Pie Day!

Of course, there are those who do not believe in Pumpkin Pie and are offended at the attention it gets. They insist on the use of the more generic "Happy Dessert Day."

As I'm British, am I allowed to call it "Happy Pudding Day"? [Big Grin]

As it happens, I don't like pumpkin pie; I don't often eat puddings anyway, but I'll make an exception tomorrow and have a spot of Christmas pudding.

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

12 years ago this very day I ventured on board this Ship.

Thank you al for your company on this voyage.

[Yipee]

A worthy anniversary to note, Japes. Here's to many more years of sailing.

What Loth said - congratulations Japes! [Smile]

From me, too.

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

I'm taking over my favourite Irish-owned pub for my birthday on Saturday!

Have a good time and happy birthday.

Have a good one, Sir K. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Bibaculus:
Happy Feast of the Circumcision/naming of Jesus/Mary, Mother of God

I will copy this over from Arbitrary Time greetings to Anniversary, Birthday etc thread as this thread seems for New year greetings.

Lothlorien AS host

[ 01. January 2016, 23:21: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

January is "Hot Tea Month" as well as "Soup Month." I sense a theme...

As I had my first attempt at making proper pea soup yesterday (v. good - I'll be doing it again), I find that pleasingly appropriate.

When it's as cold as it gets here in January, making soup is the best way of dealing with it.

Today is, apparently, I can't take it any more, Day - been there, done that!

Isn't that basically everyday?

I think that is very true.

January 13 will be Skeptics Day. Or at least so they claim.

On a much more reasonable note, January 13 will also be Rubber Duckie Day! Woo hoo!

For the upcoming few days, January 17 is an interesting one for classic film fans, being the birthday of Noah Beery (1882), Carl Laemmle (1867) and Mack Sennett (1880).

January 18 is Martin Luther King Day in USA, but is also Winnie-the-Pooh Day (being also the birthday of A.A. Milne). One assumes Piglet will celebrate in style.

Piglets eat haycorns to celebrate and Pooh has hunny, epecially for elevenses. That is the proper Pooh and Piglet, not Disney!s idea of them.

Absolutely, Loth - the Disney Corporation should be collectively shot for the way they messed about, especially with Piglet (as you can understand, I'm rather sensitive about him ...)

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

Disney's vile concepts of Pooh and the Piglet are a byword and a hissing. If there were ever a case for "The book was better," this is it.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Was it Disney who also butchered Mary Poppins? . Whoever did that should have the fleas from a thousand camels infest his jockstrap. [Devil]

Huia

Don't mince your words, Huia dear - say what you mean! [Devil]

After giving a nod to Piglet, today is set aside to honor Smudgie:

Penguin Awareness Day!

Love it! What's not to like about penguins? [Smile]

27 years ago today I started avoiding alcohol, a day at a time - it's worked so far so I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

quote:
27 years ago today I started avoiding alcohol, a day at a time - it's worked so far so I'll give it another go tomorrow.

That's a great achievement.

As rolyn said, a great achievement.

Good on you WW. [Smile]

I missed this year's notice re alcohol free because I have so often been physically present when the auspicious day arrives and get my own notification.

Congratulations, my very dear friend. Until next year!

It's Burns Night!

Yesterday I was at a multicultural, multifaith event in St Andrews Cathedral, Aberdeen, listening to Burns being sung in Bengali, with Scottish musical accompaniment, and in Scots with Bengali musical accompaniment. Plus "A Man's a Man" sung by a Scouser with a banjo. Burns in a Scouse accent is surprisingly effective.

The late broadcaster Ludovic Kennedy told the story of crossing from Harwich to the Continent with his wife. The ship's captain was a Dutchman who spoke terrible English. On discovering that Kennedy was Scottish he insisted on reciting Burns to them. They cringed and resigned themselves to their fate but, to their great surprise, the captain recited really well.

Afterwards he explained that a lot of the voice sounds in Dutch are much like those found in Scots dialects.

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
It's Burns Night!

Not at 10.35am it isn't - although we do plan to kill a haggis later.

My haggis was shot well before dawn, had its fur skinned and feathers plucked before the butcher opened at 7am, I bought it at 10 am and it's in my fridge now.

I did the haggis, neeps and tatties last night before taking the children back. Of course, being quite young one who a year ago would eat haggis 'til it came out her ears has declared she doesn't like it (so, cook some sausages as well) and despite it being at least 3 years since I last cooked them neeps apparently I was supposed to know they don't like neeps (so, some frozen peas in the microwave as a quick veg substitute).

Tonight I'll be on my own, but I will raise a wee dram.

I remembered about it rather too late; I have been known to make the odd haggis and foist same on my unsuspecting friends, but haven't given it a thought this year.

I do, however, raise a metaphorical dram to those of you who'll be celebrating tonight.

Slainte mhor! [Smile]

Happy birthday to Amanda B. Reckondwythe!
[Overused]

Australia Day down here. Congratulations to those who were given Australians of the Year awards last night. Very worthy of the awards and decisions must have been difficult with the calibre of all the finalists. People who have actually done something worthwhile and were not retiring cricket captains or bank CEOs or similar

...and it's Republic Day here, too.

quote:
...and it's Republic Day here, too.

I know it is a little late for India but it is still Republic Day here. So, without further ado:

Ganna Jana Manna

I'd do the Australian one, but I am unsure what it is this year.

Oops, that was, of course, Gana Jana Mana.

Posted by Polly Plummer (# 13354) on :

Don't let us ever forget Holocaust Memorial Day.

I met my husband thirty years ago today. I cannot believe that we are this old. [Help]

February 6th is Waitangi Dayin Aotearoa/New Zealand. This marks the anniversary of the signing of a treaty between the British Crown and some Maori. It is regarded as our founding document, although hasn't always been honoured as such.

I'm posting today because on the 6th I will be commemorating the day and eating hangi* cooked food which I haven't had since Waitangi Day a few years ago.

* This is a traditional method of cooking food.

Huia

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I met my husband thirty years ago today. I cannot believe that we are this old. [Help]

You've known each other since you were toddlers?

It feels like it! We met at a 21st birthday party.

Technically, we'd met before that because our flat in student halls had broken its casserole dish and tried (unsuccessfully) to borrow the North East Man's flat's casserole dish so that we could pass our flat inspection. So I had heard the NE Man say "Do not give her our casserole dish" but he was talking about me, not to me on that occasion.

In Canada and America, today is celebrated as Groundhog Day. If the groundhog comes out of his burrow and it's sunny and he sees his own shadow, he goes back for another six weeks' nap.

It's cloudy here today, so he wouldn't have seen his shadow, but I'm still not convinced that we'll see anything that could meaningfully be called "spring" here for at least another couple of months. [Frown]

quote:
In Canada and America, today is celebrated as Groundhog Day.

Again?

Every 2nd February.

Various places have ceremonies where they let a groundhog out to see whether or not he sees his shadow, and predicts the length of winter accordingly.

The best-known one in Canada is probably Wiarton Willie.

I wouldn't normally celebrate such a thing but I think Carrot Cake Day is a forgivable exception - excellent stuff, served warm with a spoon of Mascarpone...

Yum, yum, yum.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

Today I am 80! [Smile]

I know it is not an unusual age to be these days, but, with sensible living and grateful acknowledgement to the NHS I am thrilled to bits to have arrived here!

It is, quite appropriately I feel, tap class this morning, so I cannot think of a better way to celebrate. 

Congratulations and Happy Birthday, SusanDoris. I hope your day is absolutely wonderful.

Lothlorien

Thank you!

Happy Birthday from over here, too.

Today is World Cancer Day.

[Votive] Miss Molly, and all our friends taken from us.

Happy Birthday, SusanDoris!

WW and North East

Thank you. [Smile]

Greetings from over here too - have a good one! [Smile]

Thank you, Piglet. I think the chances of getting to 90 are remote,but, well, you never know!!!

quote:
Today is World Cancer Day.

[Votive] Miss Molly, and all our friends taken from us.

[Votive] I've lost too many (which is to say "more than zero").

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

Congratulations SusanDoris!

(I just prayed to God that you'll have many more years. So from now on, each day of your life will be proof of His existence [Smile] )

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:

(I just prayed to God that you'll have many more years. ...

Thank you, Le Roc.
quote:
So from now on, each day of your life will be proof of His existence [Smile] )
Splutter, splutter!! There used to be an emoticon on the old BBC message board which had steam coming out of its ears!!! Please imagine that here!

On a rather sombre note, today marks seven years since my brother-in-law lost his battle with cancer, the day after his 56th birthday.

RIP R., who was the nicest bloke on the planet.

[Tear]

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:

(I just prayed to God that you'll have many more years. ...

Thank you, Le Roc.
quote:
So from now on, each day of your life will be proof of His existence [Smile] )
Splutter, splutter!! There used to be an emoticon on the old BBC message board which had steam coming out of its ears!!! Please imagine that here!

Maybe it is LeRoc who should have
Incurable Optimist under his avatar. [Big Grin]

Hope your birthdays continue to be fun Susan Doris.

Huia

Ten years today since my dad died - a lovely man, much missed but I also know how fortunate I am to have had him around until I was 56, most folks don't get that lucky.

I remember that, WW, and I was very impressed at how lovingly and carefully your Indian family took care of you.

Next Monday marks the 5th anniversary of the mag 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch in which 185 people were killed, over half of them in the same building. This building contained a Language School which meant many of the dead were international students.

Many people came from around the world to offer their help, which is also remembered by Christchurch people. I also remember with thanks the many Shipmates who offered their support and prayers for me personally - and have continued to do so through the over 15,000 aftershocks.

This is very much in the minds of Christchurch people as we had the largest aftershock for some time on Sunday.

On Monday I will join a group floating flowers down the river in memory of these people and the other man who died in a later aftershock.

Huia

[Votive] for you, for the people of Christchurch and for the souls of those who died.

Posted by Doone (# 18470) on :

Amen [Votive]

Up late-- forgot to note yesterday (February 19) marks the 74th anniversary of President Roosevelt's executive order to begin internment of Japanese American citizens. There is a shopping mall built over one of the former camps near me,,and I stopped by the memorial rock garden.

Wishing all our Welsh shippies a happy St. David's Day/Dydd Dewi Sant Hapus i pawb!

Happy birthday to Hugal!

All the best people are born in March - Happy Birthday indeed.

Not quite all, WW - some of us arrived early ... [Big Grin]

Happy birthday Hugal! [Smile]

A significant date for me today. The anniversary of Dad's death in 1998. I still miss him. Mum died on 18/3 in 2009 and she too is sorely missed, especially by my sons who were close to her. They often speak of her. These dates bookend a family birthday, so are not forgotten.

International Women's Day!

I was born in one country and now live in another - does that make me an International Woman?

[Big Grin]

Clears throat and begins to sing:

Happy birthday to you
{dodges rotten egg}
Happy birthday to you
{dodges rotten tomato}
Happy birthday dear Wodders!
Happy birthday to yyyooouuu!

I'll join in the chorus, Uncle Pete - it'll already be WW's birthday by now in Wodderland.

HB, WW! [Smile]

This afternoon is the fifth anniversary of the Tohoku earthquake, and subsequent tsunami. Leaving more than 18,000 people confirmed dead or missing and displacing more than 300,000 people (with about 100,000 still unable to return home). [Votive]

This afternoon is the fifth anniversary of the Tohoku earthquake, and subsequent tsunami. Leaving more than 18,000 people confirmed dead or missing and displacing more than 300,000 people (with about 100,000 still unable to return home). [Votive]

Today is indeed The Feast of the Blessed Saint WW - the consolation is that I'm still a lot younger than UnclePete.

Which also means hou are younger than I am.

Happy birthday.

quote:
Which also means hou are younger than I am ...

... but still older than me. [Devil]

Today is White Day, a largely Japanese celebration.

Alternatively, just eat lots of pi.

Today is the tenth anniversary of the accident that left me walking with a crutch.

Ow, it still hurts.

[Votive]

According to my desk calendar, Monday March 14 is when "Orthodox Lent Begins." Can any of our Orthodox Shipmates confirm?

(Because, honestly, I don't quite trust the accuracy of this desk calendar.)

Beware The Ides of March!

quote:

Coming in a bit late to comment on this (due to an inefficient lines company)but I remember this in my prayers every year because it was so soon after the fatal Christchurch one, and with so much more horrendous effects. I remember with gratitude the Japanese urban rescue team who helped in Christchurch and hope NZ was able to repay that help in some way.

Huia

[Votive]

Happy St Patricks day and enjoy any processions. Sydney's has been canceled due to lack of funding. Read debts still left from last year.

Happy St. P's day from over here too. [Smile]

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

It's my birthday! 54 and counting...

Happy birthday.

Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday [Smile]

Yes indeed - have a great day!

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
It's my birthday! 54 and counting...

You've just caught up with me - many happy returns! [Smile]

Today is Easter Day!

A happy and blessed Easter to all.

Indeed - happy Easter! [Smile]

Thanks to everyone who wished me Happy Birthday, and I wish everyone a Happy Easter!

Today is Zoo Lovers Day and I think I probably qualify when it comes to the better zoos. I know the ethics of zoos is sort of complicated but places like Chester and Mysore and Darjeeling are just amazing and do a huge amount of very necessary conservation work.

eta: yesterday I missed the fact that it was No Housework Day - BLISS!

tbh, in my life most days are a No Housework Day!

[ 08. April 2016, 12:24: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Happy 90th birthday to eminent German theologian, Jurgen Moltmann [Axe murder] [Angel]

Today is Vishu, a huge festival here in Kerala and traditionally we will all eat far too much and then sit there groaning "Why did I eat so much?" but it will be fun.

It may be a theoretically a purely Hindu festival but all communities join in - and the fireworks have been going off most of the night, despite their availability having been curtailed somewhat by the police after the recent tragedy 200 kms south of here.

Why did I eat so much?

quote:
Why did I eat so much?

It's TRADITION!

It would have been rude not to. [Big Grin]

April 15: Jackie Robinson Day in baseball, commemorating the day in 1947 that Robinson broke the racial barrier that had existed in major league baseball.

Proper thing too. [Overused]

From Hedgehog's link:
quote:
An unwritten "gentleman's agreement" created a color barrier in major league baseball ...
Doesn't sound very gentlemanly to me.

Sending a shout-out to any other Orcadians on the Ship on the feast-day of St. Magnus, their patron saint.

As a loyal subject, I'd like to note the 90th birthday of HM The Queen, and wish her many happy returns.

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

And me too.

M.

AND me!

Happy birthday, ma'am [Axe murder]

Posted by Laud-able (# 9896) on :

And from me.

Happy birthday, Your Majesty.

I remember the 90th birthday of the Queen Mother... it was yesterday! How can this be? Impossible!

[Eek!]

I am truly uncertain whether we have any Jewish Shipmates, but it should be noted that Passover starts today.

And today is also Earth Day. I believe I shall re-read Pope Francis' encyclical on the environment and inequality (which provided me with my current sig line).

I'm a bit late (sorry about that [Hot and Hormonal] ) but a happy St. George's Day to all the English Shippies out there from one of your northerly neighbours.

[Smile]

Anzac Day down here for Australia and New Zealand,in commoration of the original landing in 1915 and also of all thise who have taken part in any wars since then.

As I understand it, today (April 25) is International Penguin Day.

[ 25. April 2016, 22:28: Message edited by: Nicolemr ]

quote:
As I understand it, today (April 25) is International Penguin Day.

Enjoy your special day, Smudgie. [Smile]

Just sayin' that it is only 8 months until Christmas...

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Just sayin' that it is only 8 months until Christmas...

Did you have to? [Ultra confused]

It's only four months since Christmas.

Posted by starbelly (# 25) on :

Do not forget that today is Ed Balls day.

May he T.I.P. (Tweet in peace)

Neil

Sorry, I missed this yesterday.

International Bereaved Mother's Day.

[Votive] For Elizabeth-Anne

To those of you of a Star Wars persuasion (JJ, I'm thinking of you!), May the Fourth be with you.

[Smile]

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

And also with you! [Big Grin]

It's the 46th anniversary of the Kent State shooting.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

Sunset tonight marked the start of Yom ha-Shoah (Holocaust Rememberance Day.)

[Votive]

Wishing any Norwegian Shippies a happy Norway Day! [Smile]

My birthday will be on Friday and my brother [Axe murder] who lives in the US is flying in on Thursday [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

This is the best birthday present ever!

Huia -madly cleaning the spare bedroom so he doesn't disappear beneath an avalanche of needlework stuff.

Sure is a great present. Enjoy the time.

According to the Book of Face, today is Hedgehog Day.

Any excuse to post pictures of cute little hedgehogs. [Smile]

quote:
According to the Book of Face, today is Hedgehog Day.

Any excuse to post pictures of cute little hedgehogs. [Smile]

[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

I thought owls ate hedgehogs!

quote:
I thought owls ate hedgehogs!

Not this owl -- I love hedgehogs (and I don't mean as a meal).
[Biased]

Today is the feast day of St Columba of Iona; he who banished the Loch Ness monster, among other good works.

Well, he doesn't seem to have done a very good job, seeing it keeps popping up from time to time.

Or not ...

It has to, because the Highland tourist industry would go a**e over tip if it didn't.

Poor old St. Columba probably didn't know that ... [Big Grin]

Today and tomorrow, Delaware (and, more specifically, New Castle, Delaware) will be celebrating Separation Day, the day when the 3 counties of Delaware declared themselves separate and independent from Pennsylvania and the Penn family and (by extension) from the British Crown.

The Separation happened in June of 1776, so this is the 240th anniversary of Delaware celebrating the fact that it is not Pennsylvania. A raucous time is expected! [Smile]

quote:
Today and tomorrow, Delaware (and, more specifically, New Castle, Delaware) will be celebrating Separation Day, the day when the 3 counties of Delaware declared themselves separate and independent from Pennsylvania and the Penn family and (by extension) from the British Crown.

The Separation happened in June of 1776, so this is the 240th anniversary of Delaware celebrating the fact that it is not Pennsylvania. A raucous time is expected! [Smile]

I don't associate Delaware with anything raucous. Do they give all the company registration plates a polish?

quote:
It has to, because the Highland tourist industry would go a**e over tip if it didn't.

Poor old St. Columba probably didn't know that ... [Big Grin]

I wouldn't worry. Tourists still come claiming descent from the many fictitious characters of the Waverley novels. Almost as many as claim Sherlock Holmes as great-great-great-uncle.

Today is International Panic Day - but I refuse to get involved.

Panic, me???? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

If you need something to calm your nerves, according to a knitting enthusiast friend of mine, today is also Knitting in Public Day.

Now doesn't that make you feel better? [Smile]

I am deeply ashamed that yesterday I missed announcing International Music Day.

quote:
I am deeply ashamed that yesterday I missed announcing International Music Day.

You're ashamed? Think how I feel, as an amateur musician married to a professional one ... [Big Grin]

Here's to all my musician friends, and to the ones who are already making music in Heaven.

[Smile]

[ 22. June 2016, 14:00: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Today is Public Service Day, a day to remember all those who work so hard to keep society functioning.

I'm not sure if that's a good coincidence or a bad one, as it's my penultimate day of working in public service (for the moment anyway).

To those of you still in it: [Overused]

Posted by Curious (# 93) on :

Feeling very guilty that I've crept in here after so long, but I have a Big Birthday on Saturday. Suffering a little pre-celebration trauma.... [Help]

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

Hey Curious, long time no see! Good to see you back

Welcome back, Curious, and have a good one! [Smile]

Yes indeed, good to see you again.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

I was 65 last week!

But still working and definitely not planning to wear purple. [Big Grin]

Many happy returns, Jacobsen, and enjoy that bus-pass! [Big Grin]

In other news, it was 28 years ago today that D. and I tied the knot, in Cranmer's matchless prose, on what would have been his 499th birthday.

Happy birthday, Tom! [Smile]

Happy Fourth of July to all our American shippies! [Smile]

Today is, wait for it:

Teddy Bears' Picnic Day!

For me it is a sort of Soft Toys Appreciation Day as, apart from Teddies, I also have rabbits and dogs and tigers and koalas and even a raccoon! It is going to be a wet day so I reckon the picnic will be an indoor affair.

...and as I type that the sun comes out!

Here's the link.

You would probably love the event one of my local village churches is doing this afternoon - parachuting the teddies of local children/grownups off the church tower with a prize for who can get the furthest (cream teas for non-flyers!).

I hope some childs much loved toy doesn't get stuck on the roof, in the branches of a tree or otherwise lost.

Yeah, hopefully parents will have the sense to suggest a brand new unattached bear for the event.

Our teddies' picnic will have to be an indoor affair too - it's cold, wet, windy and decidedly unpicnicish here, and they'd get their fur all wet, which would lead to unhappy bears. [Frown]

Pleased to report that all went well and a great time was had by all [Yipee]

The soft toys all got Doone safely then.

[Snigger]

And the award for Groan of the Year goes to ...

Alan Cresswell!!! [Overused]

I can't help but think that this is a case of unfortunate scheduling, but July 16 is both:

World Snake Day and Guinea Pig Appreciation Day.

I am sure some snakes would appreciate a guinea pig...

My MiL rang the doorbell yesterday to tell me she had just chased a snake off the verandah. Good for her.

While I'm delighted to check the link for World Guinea Pig Day (aaaaahhh!!), I'd be very grateful if another passing host would check the other one mentioned by Hedgehog ...

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I've done it, never fear.

Today is the feast day of St. Anne, the mother of the Virgin Mary.

When we were in St. Anne's Cathedral in Belfast, it was affectionately known as "the Cathedral Church of Thy Most Holy Granny", and some of us formed a pub-quiz team with friends from St. George's church, and called ourselves Dragons and Grannies.

And today, July 27, is Scotch Whisky Day. Personally, I am a bourbon man (although I missed Bourbon Day (June 14)) but hold scotch in high esteem.

The web-site in your link, Hedgehog, is clearly written by a Heretick of the first order, as that glass has ICE in it.

[Devil]

Today is my fifteenth anniversary of joining the Ship of Fools! Good grief! Almost a quarter of my life!!! [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Help] [Axe murder]

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Today is my fifteenth anniversary of joining the Ship of Fools! Good grief! Almost a quarter of my life!!! [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Help] [Axe murder]

[Yipee] [Overused]

quote:

Keep taking the tablets, jj.

[Big Grin]

Congratulations!

[Axe murder]

Congratulations, JJ - here's to your next fifteen! [Smile]

Thanks everyone! [Big Grin]

quote:
Keep taking the tablets, jj.

pssst...Wodders...it's the GIN in the host's lounge! [Cool]

Here's one for Boogie - today is Assistance Dog Day!

A well merited day in my estimation.

Speaking of today's date, it is 2²/2³/2⁴

My wife, Zeke, celebrated her 60th birthday over a two-day period starting on the 31st with a party for our friends and ending with a quiet dinner out on the 2nd. She got over 80 face-book comments!

Happy birthday Zeke.

Yes, happy birthday!

Many happy returns Zeke! [Yipee]

If he wasn't dead, it would be my maternal grandfather's 130th birthday today. I've always thought that his life spanned one of the most interesting periods in history, and he got the best out of it. When he was a boy, advanced technology generally meant steam, and railway development was still pretty exciting; the penny farthing bicycle was the way for a dashing young man to get around. He was at the opening of Tower bridge and talked about the great treat of riding on a horse-drawn lorry through the new Blackwall Tunnel under the Thames. He saw the earliest underground electric trains in London, and remembered the sparks flying from their electrical pick-ups. He and his brother were making home-brewed colour photographs (negatives, not coloured prints) in the 1920s. One of his passions was Esperanto, the one thing he failed to pass on to his grandchildren, despite strenuous attempts. By the time he died, people had been to the moon, and he was full of admiration for the new computers that were doing things that he could never have done with his slide rule. He saw two world wars - served in the RAMC in one of them - and made it his personal mission to make as many friends as he could in post-war Germany when I was old enough to take notice, making a lasting impression on me. He wanted no more wars and didn't waste any time waiting for others to bring our countries closer together. I don't think my life will have been as interesting as his. So I'm quietly celebrating Grandpa's birthday today.

Happy birthday Grandpa [Smile]

All together now, Happy Birthday, dear Pete, happy birthday to you. [Yipee]

Good grief, is it his birthday again? He seems to have them remarkably regularly.

Happy Birthday Pete!

quote:
Good grief, is it his birthday again? He seems to have them remarkably regularly.

Happy Birthday Pete!

I celebrate twice a year. As a cancer survivor, I celebrate quietly the day I was declared cancer-free (which makes me 14 (with a double Amrut single malt) and, more loudly, today.

Happy birthday, Uncle Pete!!

Uncle Pete [Yipee]

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
quote:

Happy Birthday Pete!

I celebrate twice a year. As a cancer survivor, I celebrate quietly the day I was declared cancer-free (which makes me 14 (with a double Amrut single malt) and, more loudly, today.
Happy Double Birthday, Pete! So you must be about 130 too?

quote:

Happy Birthday Pete!

Does anyone except those born on the 29th February have irregular birthdays? AFAIK they are all separated by a year exactly.

Jengie

Many happy returns, Uncle Pete - have a good one! [Smile]

Yesterday was Lazy Day but it was far too much effort to post about it.

You'll be delighted to know that D. and I celebrated it in an appropriate fashion ...

[Snore]

Jealous more than delighted but after your recent news you have busy days ahead!

[Big Grin]

Eldest grandson is one year old on Sunday (21 August). This is all wrong as it only feels like about 3 months since he was born.

That long ago! Goodness, me.

I think Nunc Dimittis and I share today so Happy Birthday to her.

Happy Birthday to you both!

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

It seems like only yesterday that my age could be divided by 17....now it can be divided by 13. [Yipee]

There was one year when all of my brothers and I had prime numbers for ages. 37,41,43,47.

There was another one much earlier but being a teenager I didn't really notice at the time. (Oops got some math wrong edited out a thing)

Its a weird way of looking at age but hey...better then moaning about getting older.

No, this isn't a puzzle just observations.

Kid is 21

[ 23. August 2016, 11:17: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

I'm another one that plays games with numbers all the time - currently in a prime year, the last one was six years ago and it will be another 4 years before I'm a prime age again.

Today, amongst other things, is Knife Day. Despite the temptation, using them on your most un-favourite politician is not recommended and could have serious consequences.

quote:
I'm another one that plays games with numbers all the time - currently in a prime year, the last one was six years ago and it will be another 4 years before I'm a prime age again.

Today, amongst other things, is Knife Day. Despite the temptation, using them on your most un-favourite politician is not recommended and could have serious consequences.

Did you read about the Indian guy who swallowed 40 knives and went to the hospital complaining of a tummy ache? He must have celebrated early! [Eek!]

I saw a picture of them. Amazing in a horrifying sort of way.

Seeing the state of the knives they removed from his stomach the acid looked to have been busy!

Thirty-seven years!

No, not since I was born, thirty-seven years since I married Mrs Sioni!

We are very pleased.

[Yipee] Congratulations! [Yipee]

Congratulations! [Smile]

Today is the 6th Anniversary of the 7.1 quake that started the sequence of earthquakes in Canterbury, NZ. Although the biggest it was not the most destructive and there was no loss of life.

Huia

It's my birthday!

I am 65 years old today - no wonder our US friends always remember my birthday. And I have today lived 10 years longer than my father - RIP Dad.

Still, happy birthday to me [Yipee]

Mrs. S, celebrating

Happy Birthday from us, too.

Happy birthday [Yipee]

I have struggled to decide where to post this, but as it is the 15th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attack, I feel that this remarkable essay on a comic strip website needs wider distribution.

Thank you Hedgehog [Tear]

Happy birthday, Mrs. S.! [Smile]

And, as ever on this day, sending up a prayer for the souls of those who died on 11th September 2001 - may they rest in peace and rise in glory.

[Votive]

We have had this thread going a year and more because:

Today be International Talk Like a Pirate Day, me hearties!

And we'll be a keel-hauling those that won't do it, see.

I see no ships!

Arrrrrrrrrrrghhh.

It's the 6th anniversary of the death of my best friend, 6 weeks after my mother died, the same year. Going back 2 further years, my father-in-law, a week earlier in September. I don't sleep well in September.

Yesterday I was a tad busy and so I missed posting about two notables in that yesterday was both:

World Gratitude Day when, even more than usual, we should have been grateful for the many blessing in our lives; and

International Day of Peace when we pray for peace in the world and peace within ourselves.

I'm sorry I mised them and hope we can celebrate them both but just a little bit late - apart from people on the other side of the globe where yesterday is still today - you lot can do it on time.

Wishing peace and gratitude to all.

Today is a day which, in my former wage-slave persona, I took quite seriously - it is Ask a Stupid Question Day. I am a firm believer in there being no such thing as a stupid question - the person who asks the question may be a fool for a moment but the person who doesn't ask the question is pretty much guaranteed to be a fool for a lifetime!

quote:
Today is a day which, in my former wage-slave persona, I took quite seriously - it is Ask a Stupid Question Day. I am a firm believer in there being no such thing as a stupid question - the person who asks the question may be a fool for a moment but the person who doesn't ask the question is pretty much guaranteed to be a fool for a lifetime!

The downside of asking a stupid question is that it guarantees a stupid or at best evasive answer, plus a black mark on your record if you have put the Boss on the Spot.

quote:
I am a firm believer in there being no such thing as a stupid question

What time does the 24 hour garage close?
What relation were you to your deceased husband?
Shall we invite David Icke to give the keynote speech at the General Synod?

My "students" included Teachers, Police Officers, Hospital Consultants, Care Staff, Nurses, Social Workers, etc. - you have no idea of the inanity of some of the questions!

By contrast today is Older People's Day and, as I probably qualify, I just thought I'd mention it.

[ 01. October 2016, 04:06: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

As I'm so very much younger than you, WW, I'll raise a glass in your general direction.

[Snigger]

It's the compassion of you younger folks, still wet behind the ears, as keeps us going.

[Two face]

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

I'd best remember that tomorrow me and 'er to whom I'm wedded 'ave bin wed 18 years tomorrow ... and we're actually in the same town (and house) for once ... [Axe murder]

Posted by Latchkey Kid (# 12444) on :

Congratulations, Zappa.

Have you ordered the flowers and champagne?

Congratulations Zappa and Mrs. Z. [Yipee]

Today is World Day of Bullying Prevention, which is, I think, worthy of attention from all of us.

Congrats Mr and Mrs Z [Yipee]

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

[Smile]

quote:
Today is World Day of Bullying Prevention, which is, I think, worthy of attention from all of us.

Yea and amen.

According to Facebook, today is World Smiles Day, so here are a few smiles:

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

And to you too! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Ticked over another year today. When I was a child I didn't imagine I'd be spending my adult birthdays alone on a sofa, eating a bag of crisps, drinking port and watching a Harry Potter film.

Things don't always go to plan, but it's not all dispiriting.

Happy birthday Sipech from downunder.

Belated Happy Birthday Sipech - and I agree that the way things turn out is seldom as imagined.

Also Belated Wedding Anniversary to my late parents who were married 8th October 1941 so 75 years ago.

Many happy returns, Sipech! [Smile]

Also, to the Canadians on the Ship, happy Thanksgiving Day. [Smile]

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but our daughter, born in May, was baptised yesterday.

Absolutely the right place, may she blessed.

WW - AS Host

Posted by Hilda of Whitby (# 7341) on :

Today is my late brother John's birthday. He'd be 67 if he were still alive (of course he is still alive in my heart). He died in a car wreck in 1977. He was a wonderful person and he was undoubtedly the most influential person in my life. I credit many of the positive qualities I have to his influence.

Happy birthday, dear John. [Votive]

In memory of my great-niece, Danielle, whose 29th birthday would be today. She attempted suicide before Christmas 2013 and after being in a coma for several days, died on 1 January 2014

May both of them rest in peace. I remember Uncle Pete talking about his niece at the time.

It's also my own birthday today and I'm counting my blessings: I have a job, a roof over my head, a choice of what to eat when I want it, clothes to wear, clean (and hot) water when needed. I can read, and drive, and have a lovely little car to help open up horizons. I have my health and enough money to buy the things I need.

And I know that life doesn't last and things can change, sometimes overnight. It's been a difficult year, and I hope the worst of it is coming to a close now. I want to think that there are things to look forward to, and I want to be surprised by the beauty in small things and actions and unexpected places, and glad for the kindness of people known and unknown, felt or observed.

My best wishes to anyone marking an anniversary of whatever kind around now. If it's a good one, may it bring you joy; if it's a sad one, may you find peace and comfort.

[Votive] Uncle Pete, and for Danielle [Votive]

Happy Birthday, Ariel. Many Happy Returns [Smile]

Happy birthday, Ariel.

RIP Danielle. [Votive]

And happy birthday Ariel! [Smile]

Belated Happy Birthday Ariel!

Did you know that yesterday was TV Talk Show Host Day?

Aren't you glad we didn't celebrate it?

It probably depends on who the host is - Michael Parkinson and Terry Wogan were both rather good at it. [Big Grin]

42 years ago today Mr S and I stepped out on our journey together. I don't suppose either of us really appreciated what we were promising, almost two lifetimes ago (if you see what I mean - I was 23 at the time!) but here we are none the less [Axe murder]

Miss S and SiL celebrated their third wedding anniversary on the 11th, with the Intrepid Grandson, and we wish them many happy returned of that happy day [Axe murder]

And on Saturday Master S will marry the (Brave and) Lovely Girlfriend, and we wish them as happy and stable a marriage as we have [Axe murder]

MrsS [Axe murder]

Happy anniversary, Mr. and Mrs. S. [Smile]

Thank you for your kind wishes [Overused]

Congratulations from here, too.

Apparently, today (October 27) marks the 334th Birthday of the City of Philadelphia.

I forgot to send a card.

Happy birthday, Philly! [Smile]

Today, it's Friday over here, is Plush Animal Lovers Day so I reckon Piglet and I will both be celebrating - well there are a score and more of the little demons looking down at me here in the study and there is another little group that share my bed and as this all includes several tigers [as well as an Eeyore, many dogs and quite a few bears*] I think discretion is the better part of valour!

* including one apparently parachuting down from a shelf!

quote:
Today, it's Friday over here, is Plush Animal Lovers Day ...

<Hedgehog pats his avatar fondly on the head, then tickles its tummy while asking "Who's a little hedgehog?">

quote:
Today, it's Friday over here, is Plush Animal Lovers Day so I reckon Piglet and I will both be celebrating ...

Absolutely - what a nice thing to celebrate! At the moment we're rather underpopulated as most of our bears are still in storage (and being missed).

I think the purchase of some CAKE to celebrate with Piglet*, Quite Large Bear and Small Bear with Little Green Tartan Friend (the ones we decided we couldn't do without) would be in order.

* a very cute, much-loved piglet knitted by my sister-in-law twenty-mumble years ago when she was pregnant and tired of knitting little boots, and who's become a sort of mascot. Where we go, he goes. [Smile]

Today, Saturday 29th October, is not only Diwali [Deepavalli] here but it is also Cat Day which would get Himself's vote - and the vote of little boy across the lane who is 11 and already has 4 cats!

Happily his mum quite likes them, too.

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

Mr Bee and I will be celebrating our ruby wedding tomorrow and are having a party tonight. Not quite sure how that happened!

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Mr Image and I are about to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. I must have been married as a child bride because I am much to young to have been married so long.
We were married in December in the mist of a large snow storm. So to be safe this time we are celebrating a month early.
We have rented a large house on the coast and children and grand children will be joining us for the week-end. Having a catered meal brought in and a magician has been hired to do a show for the family. Also each person is instructed to come ready to do one magic trick. ( The real magician is a surprise) Theme for the celebration we said was the song, "That Old Black Magic has me in it's Spell."

Congratulations to Mr And Mrs Tree Bee and Mr and Mrs Graven Image. You both mention how quickly time passes. I guess the policemen are getting younger too? I do understand. My first grandchild was just a few months old last weekend and he has now graduated from high school and finished exams.

My grandson was 14 in May. It seems like yesterday he was being cuddled in my arms, and yet when I saw him on Tuesday, he was just over 6 feet, taller than his Dad and towering over his mum at 5'4" [Eek!]

Congratulations to Tree and Mr. Bee, and Graven and Mr. Image. [Yipee]

Today [Sunday] is apparently Create A Great Funeral Day, which has the serious intent of getting families [by any definition you choose] to talk out what is to happen at funerals BEFORE your loved one dies.

I, however, read it as making me think of lots of people whose funeral it would be a pleasure to plan and attend, but they are all still alive!

As far as D. and I are concerned, as long as we can get (a) the right words (i.e. Cranmer's matchless prose) and (b) the right music, we'll be content.

Any deviations, and we'll come back and do a spot of haunting ... [Devil]

[ 30. October 2016, 21:28: Message edited by: Piglet ]

I believe that it was seven years ago today that the magnificent and brilliant writer of recipes, dance and pie theory, KenWritez, went to Glory. I do hope that he is in the kitchen helping with that Heavenly banquet, but perhaps not suggesting some of his more...erm...cannibalistic creations!

Ken, looking forward to another hug! But not too soon! [Biased] [Axe murder]

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

[Tear] KenWritez was one of a kind. Now I'm all weepy, rereading his memorial thread on the Glory board. But could he ever make us laugh!

Will look on glory board soon. It must be the time of the year. Kenwritez, Miss Molly and the Nativity play are read by me every year at Christmas. Not quite there as far as time goes yet, but leading up to it.

There's a new version of the song 'Fields of Gold' out here in the UK, so I'm thinking of Molly often.

Hope that Heavenly Shipmeet is going well. Too many Shipmates way too soon, but I'm sure they will save a seat for us.

I didn't have a huge lot of Ship contact with KenWritez, but I remember his pie quotient theory, and thought of him last night when we were at the Cathedral harvest supper, where for pudding there was an absolutely indecent quantity of pies.

Hope he's enjoying them in Heaven, where they presumably have no calories, even if you put cream on them ... [Smile]

Today we shall no doubt see wild celebrations everywhere on the Feast Day of St Ercus.

My mum would have been 99 today! Silly her went and died back in 1989 but she is still missed every day.

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Today we shall no doubt see wild celebrations everywhere on the Feast Day of St Ercus.

Darn it! I forgot to put up my St. Ercus Day tree and send out my St. Ercus Day cards!

According to the Daily Telegraph, today is Winnie the Pooh's 90th birthday (and by extension, presumably Piglet's as well).

Happy birthday to both of them! [Smile]

Have some haycorns, Piglet.

That's right, leave the thistles for me, as usual!

[Razz]

Didn't realise your name was really Eeyore. [Waterworks]

Eeyore is a fabulous creation, I've always held him as my favourite character!

quote:
Have some haycorns, Piglet.

Thank you! [Smile]

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, today is the day for PTSD Awareness,

1st December is World Aids Day, a time to remember the victims of the disease that is still rampaging round the world, and killing thousands every year, mainly women.

30th November 1997 was the day of my official retirement [I hadn't been to work for some months after my breakdown in August] and so 1st December 1997 was the first day of my new life of freedom - and the day I landed here in Kerala to start my life as an ex-pat.

And I'm still here!

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

I was going around yesterday muttering "Just where did the last 25 years go?!"

So today sees the 25th anniversary of the death of my younger brother, then aged 24. (motorcycle accident)

My Mama is 81 years old today! My sister is here and she and I and my Daddy-O are going to celebrate! I'm very grateful to be one of the few of my generation to still have both parents.
[Axe murder]

Happy birthday, Jedi Mum! [Smile]

Today is Disability Day or, as I prefer it, International Day of People with Disability. Disability can be either visible or invisible - or both!

It is also Roof Over Your Head Day when we can all consider our gratitude that we have a roof over our head and also think of and consider the plight of those who don't.

Today is World Wildlife Conservation Day so let us remember the complex interdependences on this planet of ours and remember that it is the only planet we've got - if we mess it up in the end we are the ones that will suffer!

December 7 is "Delaware Day": on December 7, 1787, my home state of Delaware became the first state to ratify the Constitution of the United States.

Another little bit of information gained from SoF. [Biased]

Kirk Douglas is 100 years old today. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Kirk Douglas is 100 years old today. [Smile]

Really? Happy birthday to him! [Smile]

Talking of birthdays, it's my Better Half's birthday today, so I'll wish him a further happy birthday although he's not really on the Ship much these days.
[Axe murder]

Happy birthday wishes for you, David.

Happy Birthday indeed Mr Organist, Sir.

quote:
My Mama is 81 years old today! My sister is here and she and I and my Daddy-O are going to celebrate! I'm very grateful to be one of the few of my generation to still have both parents.
[Axe murder]

Yes you are, Mother barely made it to eighty and Dad almost saw 83. I am praying for ninety!

Almost forgot - it's still St Lucia Day here. We don't celebrate it any more, but cherish a fond memory of a great party at Provost Ross's House in Aberdeen with the Scandinavian Society, many, many years ago.

Well, I've made it to half a century today. They say if you haven't grown up by 50 you don't have to, so that's a relief.

Given that Hugal and I have had such wonderful times (sometimes with Shipmates!) in some of the Disney parks, it's interesting that I was born the day after Walt Disney died.

Happy birthday, Gill! I have enjoyed meeting with you and Hugal and hope to see you again soon!!

Happy Birthday you youngster, you!

I hope you have a great day.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

74 tomorrow! As my mum puts it, I've been living on borrowed time for 4 years. But she's been living on borrowed time for 27 years ...

Happy birthday to you. And many more as one of our former Orthodox posters would say. Former posters that is.

Have a great day.

Many happy returns to Gill H. and to B62 - hope you both have/had wonderful birthdays. [Smile]

Happy Birthday B62! Have a great day.

Today is also International Migrants Day , which has all sorts of connotations these day.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

[Big Grin]

HB2U, MtM!!! MTFBWY!!

Many happy returns, Marvin! [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
[Big Grin]

I guess it's time for this again!

Santa Claus comes tonight!

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

50 years married to Mr Image. He is a Saint. [Axe murder]

Congratulations! That is quite an achievement.

Congratulations Graven and Mr. Image - Wodders is quite right! [Overused]

[ 02. January 2017, 17:16: Message edited by: Piglet ]

30 years ago today, I lost one of my best friends, a former roommate, and co-worker. Friendships don't stop because someone has died, but death stalls the life of the deceased at the age they died. He's forever young, even as I am old. We'll raise a glass to Angus today.

RIP Angus. [Votive]

Today my eldest grandchild came of age. Happy birthday,A. Eighteen today.

Happy Birthday indeed!

Many happy returns, A! [Smile]

The Twelve Days are over, and it's now the Feast of the Epiphany.

My wreath and Christmas cards have been taken down. I probably won't get to my tree until tomorrow. However, my Nativity set will stay up a bit longer, since the Wise Men are part of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
... my Nativity set will stay up a bit longer ...

Our Nativity set, along with the candle-bridges, would stay up until Candlemas.

Tree and decorations are scheduled to come down tomorrow. I hate it. It always depresses me. I suspect copious amounts of bourbon will be assaulting my liver tomorrow.

Although, this year, I have to agree that the tree is doing a fine job of taking itself down. I may as well finish the job. It will be bare of needles in another week anyway.

I do leave a string of Christmas lights up in the bedroom until about March or so. It gets me through the long dark nights.

I know what you mean, Hedgehog. I've always hated when the decorations come down - the place always looks so bare and cold.

Oh well, I suppose the days are getting longer ...

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:

In New Hampshire I learned the saying, 'When the days begin to lengthen, the cold begins to strengthen.'

Moo

That was one of my dad's weather mantras; it was often true for the weather in Orkney, which would usually be much more interesting in January than it had been in December. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

In New Hampshire I learned the saying, 'When the days begin to lengthen, the cold begins to strengthen.'

Moo

I hadn't heard that one - it's good, and it certainly applies around here too. We have the predictable annual phenomenon of the sudden mid-winter thaw about the turn of the year, and within a week or two, as the days get longer, winter's teeth really begin to bite. Except for this week, as the weather gods have arranged for rain on top of the ice. This was not kind of them.

Happy Feast of the Ass to one and all. Plus it is my 21st birthday, but not for the first time.

Happy birthday, balaam! Congratulations on catching back up with me! [Big Grin]

Many happy returns, Balaam, to you and all asses ... [Big Grin]

Happy birthday Balaam. Many more 21st to you.

Posted by neandergirl (# 8916) on :

Happy! Happy!

January 20, 2017: Donald Trump will be inaugurated as President of the United States.

75 years earlier, on January 20, 1942, the Wannsee Conference was held where the Nazis decided on their "final solution" of "the Jewish question."

But that is probably just a coincidence.

A happy event in my family. My parents had their 64th anniversary yesterday! Not only am I blessed that I still have my parents and they live less than a mile from me, but that they have continued as a team after all these years! [Yipee] [Big Grin]

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

Mazel tov, Judy!

Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Jedi. [Smile]

A year of being in remission from leukaemia for Miss M, my granddaughter [Yipee] [Yipee]

Posted by neandergirl (# 8916) on :

Truly yay worthy! [Yipee]

That is indeed "yay-worthy" - long may Miss M. enjoy the best health possible.

[Smile]

Seconded from here, too.

Yay, Miss M! [Big Grin]

Happy Republic Day from those of us in Mother India (January 26)

National Anthem

Hope you all have a wonderful day! [Smile]

Thanks to Pete and Piglet, it is a good day so far and I have faith that that will continue.

And also happy Australia Day to our chums Down Under. [Smile]

Today, Saturday 4th Feb is World Wetlands Day, so I'm off to a Celebrate Our Estuary event this afternoon. The Estuary we're celebrating is where both of Christchurch's rivers mingle to flow into the sea.

It's a long weekend in Aotearoa/New Zealand as on Monday we mark the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi/Tiriti o Waitangi in 1840, New Zealand's founding document. This was meant to mark a partnership between Maori and the Crown, however the Maori and English versions differ, and Maori understanding of what they were signing was not what the Crown representatives thought they were signing. This has been a source of disagreement and tension.

The Wikipedia version of the Treaty is factually flawed as it only records some North Island Chiefs signing whereas some South Island Chiefs signed too.

Huia - annoyed inhabitant of Te Wai Pounamu -the South Island.

Happy birthday to Piglet. [Yipee] [Yipee]

[ 09. February 2017, 20:47: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Cheers, Loth! [Smile]

It's still 9th February here, and eight years ago today my b-i-l lost his battle with cancer, the day after his 56th birthday.

Rest in peace, R. [Tear]

Piglet, it is lunchtime on the tenth down here now, a hot day feeling like almost 42° C. Hotter tomorrow

Today is Pooyem Day here [otherwise known in Tamil as Thaipusam] when the whole village comes alive with music and dancing in honour of Lord Murugan, one of the sons of Lord Shiva and his consort Parvati - celebrations started last night and will go on after midnight tonight.

I don't suppose food would be involved, would it, WW? [Big Grin]

Hope it was a good one. [Smile]

quote:
I don't suppose food would be involved, would it, WW? [Big Grin]

Hope it was a good one. [Smile]

Food is always involved.
Family lunch (10th wedding anniversary), followed by multiple infusions of chili bajis at the temple followed by ice cream. And that was just the first visit!

Pete, on the other hand, barely eats enough to keep the entire Indian population of house sparrows alive!

Judging by what I understand to be the preferred strength of chilli chez WW, I suspect the ice-cream was probably a necessary antidote ... [Big Grin]

Happy belated, Piglet! [Big Grin]

11 years yesterday since my dad died - actually it was Sunday here when he died but Saturday in UK.

Still missed, he was a good guy.

Copied over from another thread for NEQ

Yesterday was our 28th wedding anniversary, and today was the 28th anniversary of my becoming a kirkit bride.

I wonder if any bride now uses the term "kirkit bride"? A bride is kirkit the first time she attends church with her new husband, and they sit together as a new unit, rather than with their respective parents. Given that we met at University and our families lived elsewhere in two different cities, we had never attended church sitting apart prior to our wedding. Even so, I liked the idea that I had been kirkit.

Also, as I didn't wear my glasses at my wedding and everything was a bit blurry, it wasn't till we went to church the following day that I saw my wedding flowers!

Congratulations NEQ and North East Man! [Yipee]

I'd never come across the expression "kirkit bride" before; the day after D. and I got married* we turned up at church five minutes late for choir practice, and got a rousing cheer from the basses ... [Snigger]

* In those days, most people in Orkney got married on Friday evenings so that they could leave on the boat or plane next day, but we decided to break with tradition and got married on a Saturday afternoon.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Judging by what I understand to be the preferred strength of chilli chez WW, I suspect the ice-cream was probably a necessary antidote ... [Big Grin]

I know a gentleman who makes ice-cream with ghost peppers. It's an interesting experience.

I like the kirkit bride too. I hadn't heard it before - didn't happen a lot in our family. I hope there's a kirkit groom too. I checked Auntie Google for symbols, but they skip 28, though you can look forward to pearls in two years time. (Sapphire for our next one, on Christmas Day.)

Tomorrow is the 6th anniversary of the earthquake in which 185 people lost their lives and the city of Christchurch was badly damaged with 85% of the buildings in the CBD either being demolished or needing demolition.

I'm mourning both the people and the city.

Huia

[Votive] for Huia and all the people of Christchurch.

Happy St. David's Day to all the Welsh shippies, or, as my FB friend Jo (who's married to a Welshman and has Welsh roots) put it, Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus Pawb.

[Smile]

Happy (big) birthday to Hugal and welcome to the best decade ever!

A big Hug to Hugal on this significant day! [Big Grin]

Happy birthday Hugal! [Smile]

My dad died on this date in 1998. His hundredth birthday would have been this year.

International Women's Day and what would have been my Mother's 98th birthday.

On behalf of WW (aka Wodders or Weasel) I would like to announce that he has taken yet another totter into decrepitude. [Overused]

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Hippo Birdie 2 Ewe, WW!

Today would have been my late Ma's 105th birthday. May she rest in peace, and rise in glory.

IJ

Many happy returns, Wodders! [Smile]

Happy birthday, Wodders!

Thank to you all - at least as I totter into decrepitude I follow those who seem to be racing there pell-mell!

[Biased]

My late father-in-law would have been 90 today.

RIP, L. [Votive]

I'm a tad late, but I'd like to wish all the Irish shippies a happy St. Patrick's Day.

Enjoy the Guinness! [Smile]

It's my birthday today! 55, but who's counting [Big Grin]

Many happy returns, Nicole - you've just caught up with me. [Big Grin]

I'm thinking about my late mum today, as it's Mothering Sunday, and would also have been hers and Dad's 66th wedding anniversary.

Today, my Daddy-O turned 87! To celebrate, I took Dad (and Mom, too!) a dozen donuts. At this stage of life, sweets aren't going to hurt them! [Big Grin]

Happy birthday JJ's dad! [Smile]

Happy Birthday, indeed.

Today is Himself's birthday - 48 today and he doesn't look a day over 93!

Thanks for the good wishes! I will pass them on to Dad when I see him later this morning. [Smile]

quote:
Today is Himself's birthday - 48 today and he doesn't look a day over 93!

That's what comes of having 8-month-old twins. [Eek!] Happy birthday, Himself. [Smile]

When I saw the date I realised that I started school 50 years ago today*.

I'm getting awfully elderly.

* I know it seems an odd time of year to start; the policy in Orkney at the time was to start the oldest class in the year-group after the Easter holidays. We went for mornings only until the summer, and then were joined by the other three classes, who, being younger than us, were immeasurably inferior. [Big Grin]

A sort of strange day here today - it is the most solemn day in the Christian Year [Western Calendar] and simultaneously one of the biggest feasts and most joyful days in the Kerala Hindu year so

A Blessed Good Friday to all; and

Vishu Asamsakal Happy Vishu.

It is also Dr Ambedkar's [father of the Indian constitution] birthday but I don't think that is hugely celebrated, great man though he undoubtedly was.

Also, the probably not unconnected, Tamil New Year.

Happy New Year everybody!

Today is the tenth anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings. It was a terrible tragedy, but it also created a stronger sense of community among students, faculty, administration, and the townspeople.

I have never had any formal connection with Virginia Tech (formerly known as VPI), but many members of my family have.

There has always been a strong supportive tie between the town and the university; indeed the university charter states that they are not only to educate students, but also help the surrounding community. There has also been a willingness on the part of the faculty and administration to respond to student concerns. Without this background, the tragedy would have been a much greater disaster.

I never appreciated slogans before this, but the poet Nikki Giovanni, who was on the faculty, wrote a poem with the lines, "We will prevail". Those words appeared on signs all over town. It was very encouraging.

There is a memorial to those who died that day. It was originally designed by grieving students on the day of the shootings. They took stones from a nearby building site and labelled each with the name of a victim. Then people began to bring items appropriate to each individual--sports equipment, etc.

The university at first intended to have people from the architecture school design a memorial, but they decided to go with the students' design. This is what I mean when I say that the administration pays attention to the students. The original stones were replaced with stones cut for the purpose, with a name on each. I took an out-of-town friend there one Sunday morning. As we looked at the stones, a car drew up, and a man and woman got out, carrying a bunch of flowers. They laid the flowers beside one of the stones, stood there for a bit, and then left. We went over and read the card on the flowers. It said," To so-and-so on her twenty-third birthday." I guess they do this every year for every person who died.

There have been articles in the paper all week about the shootings. Today they told about one of the survivors, who was shot in the arm. He recovered completely and went on to become a veterinarian, which was his life's ambition. He apparently has a special talent for handling animals that have been abused.

I could write a lot more, but I think this is enough to give you an idea of what things are like here.

Moo

The people of Orkney (and in particular of St. Magnus Cathedral) today celebrated the 900th anniversary of the martyrdom of St. Magnus, Orkney's patron saint.

Very appropriate that it should fall on Easter Day.

I'm thinking of my mum, who died five years ago today.

May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

[Votive]

I almost forgot to post that this would have been Erin's birthday, today. One of our saints in Heaven. The one with the teeth. [Big Grin]

quote:
I almost forgot to post that this would have been Erin's birthday, today. One of our saints in Heaven. The one with the teeth. [Big Grin]

[Votive]

Happy Birthday Erin, we miss you.

[Votive]

Today The Smudgelet has a birthday!

Happy Birthday Smudgelet, you are much loved around these halls.

Happy birthday, Smudgelet! [Big Grin]

Happy birthday to the Smudgelet.

Many happy returns, Smudgelet! [Smile]

Also, should have said yesterday, happy Norway Day to any of our Shippies in that fair and beautiful country.
quote:
Ja, vi elsker dette landet, som det stiger frem,
furet, værbitt over vannet, med de tusen hjem

The quote is from the beginning of the Norwegian national anthem, and translates somewhat thus-ish:

Yes, we love this country as it rises forth,
rugged, weathered, over the water, with the thousands of homes

[ 18. May 2017, 21:23: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Its 5 years since I lost my other half and it feels as raw now as it did then. [Votive]

[Votive] L'organist [Votive]

Thanks WW. Had a long skype with the children (on their travels at the moment) which cheered me up a bit.

May 23rd is the 17th annual World Turtle day!

Hug your turtle today!

quote:
... Hug your turtle today!

If I had one, I absolutely would. [Smile]

It's Towel Day! I totally forgot to have my towel with me today. [Frown]

quote:

I can't take mine out today. It is outside in the sun drying.
[Waterworks]

Yes, I do have more than one, but this one is my favourite.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:

Wikipedia noted that, but not that it was Ascension Day. It did not remember Anzac Day either.

June 6th is, of course, the anniversary of D-day, the Allied invasion of Normandy.

Thank you Nicole. I thought of that yesterday, but forgot to come over here and note it. Now the 7th downunder.

Wishing The Prince Philip a happy 96th birthday.

And it appears to be HMQ's official birthday. Was it sunny and warm in UK for Trooping the Colour?

[ 10. June 2017, 17:43: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

Queen's Birthday long weekend down in NSW this weekend, Pete.

Piglet, we all owe you the Most Humble Apologies - yesterday was World Gin Day!

I hope you can see your way to forgiving us.

I think I might manage that, WW. [Big Grin]

I noticed something about it on Facebook, but I must confess to not having observed it myself. Having said that, we're having some friends round for supper this evening, and we have the GIN, the tonic, the ice and the lemon, so I think it would be an appropriate aperitif.

[Smile]

Fifteen years ago today, my SIL died, leaving my brother and their son who was ten at the time. Nephew struggled for quite a while but is now doing well.

It's Father's Day in the US.

Ooops, missed this one. And, it's especially for Chorister. Yesterday was National Cream Tea Day

And over on this side of the pond, it's Canada's 150th birthday. [Smile]

A day to leave the candles burning and not blow them out, Perhaps some light from them will head south?

If only ... [Big Grin]

In other news, 29 years ago today, D. and I plighted our troth according to the rites of the Book of Common Prayer.

[Axe murder]

Very appropriate as it was also Thomas Cranmer's 499th birthday.

Congratulations to you both.

Sixty-nine years ago today my late parents were married; sixty-eight years ago today my late sister was baptized in the same church.
[Votive]

Happy 241st birthday to the USofA!

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

quote:
Happy 241st birthday to the USofA!

And to me! Birthday that is, not 241st......

Happy birthday Lucia, and happy birthday USA! [Smile]

BBC News this morning informed me that it's the 80th anniversary of the launch of a certain canned meat

Somehow this got missed, apparently World Chocolate Day was yesterday. Apparently, there are at least six reasons why Chocolate is good for you and that is from India.

Jengie

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
... there are at least six reasons why Chocolate is good for you ...

I wish I liked dark chocolate more than I do - all the things about it being good for you seem refer to dark rather than milk chocolate.

Eating milk chocolate makes me smile - surely that can't be bad, can it? [Smile]

Because it is one of my triggers for migraine so I have had to learn to dislike it - but I have no animosity towards those who enjoy it.

Gee D mentioned the possible benefits of dark chocolate on the Parkinsons thread last August. Being concerned about eventual Parkinsons (hereditary), and loving chocolate, I decided to do more research. It seems that dark chocolate can indeed be beneficial for lots of reasons, which is the happiest medical advice I've ever found, so I now have two squares of dark chocolate every morning. And I can justify it as being healthy!
[Yipee]

I love the dark chocolate. Darker the better. Am now enjoying the 85% and also the 90%. Yum, Yum.

One time when hosts were given chocolate, someone sent me an African chocolate that was 100% cocoa. It wasn't sweet, but it wasn't bitter either. I would love to have some of that again.

Moo

This morning I read that "allons enfants de la patrie" is Aussie for "c'mon kids. We're having a party." Be that as it may, today is 14th July down here. Bastille Day and a reason for a party.

*sings loudly*

Happy Birthday to yous
Happy birthday to yous
Happy Birthday, dear twins
Happy Birthday to yous

*hem hem* [Hot and Hormonal]

Hope weasel Uncle didn't eat ALL your cake.

[ 16. July 2017, 13:50: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

Pete, please don't sing!*

The cake was 60 cms square and I got one of the first pieces but it was horribly sweet, or two sweet for me - sponge cakes with a soft frosting. I think the twins were a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing but they seemed to have a good time. Probably a couple or three hundred turned up. Unsurprisingly V father of the other V was first to turn up to help - he was about the last to leave as well. I absented myself a couple of times for a lie down - I'm not as young as I used to was!

Bliss when everyone had gone - I think there should be a moment after a while when the Host can stand up and say:

quote:
Right, it's all over, thanks for coming, thanks for the gifts, now just bugger off the lot of you!
*For the uninitiated Pete's singing reminds me in some ways of the Late Great and much lamented Florence Foster Jenkins!

[ 16. July 2017, 15:45: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Many happy returns, twinlets! [Yipee]

Happy birthday to the twins.

Happy Birthday to my father. 100 today. I still miss you, Dad.

My dad's birthday is next Sunday - he would have been 105! Similarly missed every day.

Today is the Feast day of St. Anne, mother of the Blessèd Virgin Mary, or (as she was known in Belfast Cathedral, which is dedicated to her), The Lord's Most Holy Granny*.

[Smile]

* When we were in Belfast we and some friends from St. George's parish church had a pub-quiz team called the Dragons and Grannies. [Big Grin]

And a happy birthday to horses everywhere.

Happy birthday to my beautiful Daughter-Unit!
She was pleased to be carded twice this week; yesterday at an R rated movie where she was told she had to be 18 to see the movie, and two days before that when she bought an adult beverage.

She is thirty today! [Big Grin] [Axe murder] [Yipee]

Happy birthday, Daughter-Unit! [Smile]

Yay, Happy Birthday from here, too!

Today is Assistance Dog Day, which will appeal at least to Boogie but, I'm sure, many other Shipmates as well, including me.

It is also International Beer Day, which may also appeal to a Shipmate or two.

quote:
Today is Assistance Dog Day, which will appeal at least to Boogie but, I'm sure, many other Shipmates as well, including me.

It is also International Beer Day, which may also appeal to a Shipmate or two.

I'm sure there are assistance dogs that know the way to the pub, which is a double celebration!

Assistance dogs do a wonderful job, no matter what it may be. [Biased]

Absolutely.

Anyone seen Spike, or is he out celebrating International Beer Day? [Big Grin]

Today is the Feast of the Blessed Uncle Pete! Not quite a National holiday in Canada but...

Happy Birthday Pete!

Happy birthday, Uncle Pete!! [Axe murder]

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

Happy Birthday, Uncle Pete, and safe travels for Saturday.

Happy birthday, Uncle Pete!

Happy Birthday Uncle Pete

Today sees 70 years of Indian Independence after they kicked out the British!

...but we're back!*

*In my case with no political ambitions except for world peace, brotherhood and lots of lovely South Indian food!

Happy Birthday to my friend Lothlorien

Thank you Pete, best birthday in a long time. Although I can't really say much in public. But think family, food. Lovely.

Edited because spelling and typing are both up the creek this morning.

[ 20. August 2017, 21:29: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

Oh, happy, happy. Lothlorien! I hope this will be a good year for you.

A bit late to the party, but Happy Birthday Lothlorien. I hope the coming year brings you much joy.

Huia

Thank you Huia. Started off well.

Sorry I seem to have missed them, but happy birthdays to Uncle Pete and Lothlorien!

[Smile] [Smile]

International Bacon Day, September 2

Before I even knew of this, I had two short rashers of tasty streaky bacon sizzling away for part of my breakfast.

Our dear friend WW would be most disappointed if I didn't pop in at this point with an Opinion. [Big Grin]

IMHO, streaky bacon (which sadly is the norm around these parts) is only fit for covering roasting chickens to stop the breast-meat drying out, or as the basis for bacon, lentil and tomato soup.

While we were home, we scoffed as much Proper Bacon™ as we could get our hands on.

Today is 9/11 16 years later. [Votive]

Indeed - very few of us will forget where we were or what we were doing when we heard about the Twin Towers.

May those who were killed rest in peace and rise in glory.

[Votive]

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

Has no one on these boards mentioned it's Talk Like a Pirate Day?

Sorry, Mamacita, not something I have ever paid attention to.

[ 19. September 2017, 21:49: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

I did see a mention of it on Facebook, but didn't think about it again until I saw Mamacita's post on the Prayer thread. [Big Grin]

Posted by TonyK (# 35) on :

I'd like to ask Shipmates to join Mrs TonyK and me in celebrating our Golden Wedding Anniversary on Saturday 23rd September.

I'd buy all of you a drink, but technology (and my bank balance!) preclude this option - but should you be indulging in alcoholic (or other) liquor on this day, please remember us...

quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
I'd like to ask Shipmates to join Mrs TonyK and me in celebrating our Golden Wedding Anniversary on Saturday 23rd September.

I'd buy all of you a drink, but technology (and my bank balance!) preclude this option - but should you be indulging in alcoholic (or other) liquor on this day, please remember us...

How wonderful! Best wishes to you both from Sydney and I will join you later on. Breakfast has just passed, so a bit early, but a G&T later this afternoon in heat will be welcome.

quote:

Congratulations! I have friends over for my 60th (which was on 21st), so you will be remembered.

Congratulations and best wishes to you too, Sioni.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:

Many congratulations! I just had a glass of wine in your honour, which I think qualifies given that it's Saturday in the UK.

Congratulations Tony and Mrs. K.! [Yipee]

Posted by TonyK (# 35) on :

Thanks guys - much appreciated!

Yours aye - (a slowly recovering) TonyK

I'd like to mark the 100th birthday of Dr. Francis Jackson, organist-emeritus of York Minster, composer and gentleman.

I suppose I'll have to leave him off my Celebrity Death Pool list now ... [Big Grin]

Posted by Cathscats (# 17827) on :

We mentioned Francis Jackson's centenary in church on Sunday. We were singing one of his tunes, and my husband, the organist, refused to start playing till I remembered to announce it!

East Acklam? [Smile]

Today would have been my mum's 90th birthday. Hope she's celebrating in Heaven.

[Axe murder]

eta: they do have GIN in Heaven, don't they?

[ 10. October 2017, 15:33: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Today is the thirtieth anniversary of my husband's death. He died from the result of a freak accident. Our daughters were teenagers at the time.

Life goes on and you go with it. I enjoy life, but when I see elderly couples together, I think how lucky they are.

Moo

[Votive] Moo and the soul of Mr. Moo [Votive]

(((Moo)))

Ten years before the mast!

Excellent, North East Quine! We're very glad you are here!

Absolutely - the Ship wouldn't be the same without you. [Smile]

602 years ago today, St. Crispin's Day, was the Battle of Agincourt.

Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

(Yes, I tend to confuse Shakespeare's version of history with the real thing.)

Two months until Christmas! [Two face]

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
602 years ago today, St. Crispin's Day, was the Battle of Agincourt ...

Deo gratias!

My parents had little money and less inclination to send us to the”pictures” at the local picture show every Saturday afternoon. So I had had little experience of films till my year at High School went to the local theatre, old even then to see Olivier in Henry V It was a revelation to me at the time. So thanks for raising those memories, Piglet.

[ 26. October 2017, 04:27: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

I was a teenager when it came out. I saw it five times and developed a crush on Laurence Olivier.

Moo

Today, Mr S and I have been married for 43 years [Yipee]

Another 3 years, and I'll have been married to him twice as long as I have not! [Axe murder]

Happy anniversary sweetie [Smile]

On Sunday will be Master S and the Lovely Girlfriend's first anniversary, and back on the 12th it was The Former Miss S and SiL's 4th. October is our month for weddings [Yipee]

Mrs. S, rejoicing

Happy anniversary, Mr. and Mrs. S!

Several dates are given for Black Cat Day. This is one of them and I remember George one of them. A very definite character, much set in his ways and views.

Wishing all our American Shippies a jolly Thanksgiving! [Smile]

It’s my birfday. [Hot and Hormonal]

HIPY PAPY BTHUTHDTH THUTHDA BTHUTHDY* Kelly

* well if it's good enough for Winnie the Pooh and Owl ...

Have a great day, Kelly.

{sings}

Hippo birdie two ewes
Hippo birdie two ewes

Moo

Hippie birdie, Kelly! [Yipee]

And many moooorrre!! [Big Grin]

Wishing all my fellow-Scottish Shippies all the best for St. Andrew's Day, and a good start to the haggis season! [Smile]

Slightly early but happy birthday to me for tomorrow!

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Slightly early but happy birthday to me for tomorrow!

You share a birthday with Beethoven!
[Smile]

Funny you should mention it, because Beethoven's birthday came unbidden into my mind this afternoon.

Schroeder would have approved.

Happy birthday, Gill H. and Beethoven! [Smile]

Thank you! Yes indeed, as this incredible cast from the Broadway musical reminds us, it is:

Beethoven Day

(And yes, I know, there's a 'non-traditional' character here. Yes, that's right, Lucy isn't wearing blue!)

Happy birthday to Gill and Ludwig!
Also this is the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party! [Biased]

quote:
Happy birthday to Gill and Ludwig!
Also this is the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party! [Biased]

Little Ludwig was just three.

"Peanuts" re-ran my favorite strip this morning (at least in some areas) -- the Beethoven's Birthday one from 1970 (his 200th), and probably the only English-language comic strip ever to have quoted the opening of the Fourth Movement of the Ninth Symphony in German.
[Yipee]

Fifteen years ago today, Miss_Molly got on that Heavenly Train. She may not have been able to finish enjoying the Nativity Play with us, but she knows how the story goes! [Tear]

Judy, I knew it was around Christmas and I was reading the thread for herlast night. Never fails, it makes me cry. Then I saw the date and was surprised. That must be somewhere in my subconscious. I read that thread every Christmas and the Nativirty play. That may be for tonight.

I thought tiday, the one upside to The Dowager's lack of connection to dates, times etc is that she no longer breaks her heart about all the sad anniversaries that December brings - my father's death (and his birthday the next day) best friends - two of them! - dying and being buried in December; and my poor brother, ditto [Waterworks]

This must be the first year in 40 or so that she hasn't been troubled by them [Smile]

Mrs. S, always looking for the silver lining

As with a friend of mine with dementia, she may remember down the track. Depending on state she is in, I usually say little. It doesn’t help.

Feel your way gently because these things are also in your memory and so is the decline in your mum.((()))

[ 29. December 2017, 20:05: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Happy Birthday, Amanda B. Reckondwythe!

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Thank you, kind madam.

Happy birthday indeed, ABR! [Smile]

As you share your birthday with a certain Scottish poet, will your health be toasted in a fine single malt, with some haggis and clapshot to absorb the alcohol?

[Big Grin]

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

If only! It will be a very quiet day today, but I'm planning some festivities for the weekend and will keep your suggestion in mind.

Happy birthday, Miss Amanda.

Wishing everyone a happy and blessèd Candlemas. [Smile]

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

A belated birthday wish, Miss Amanda!

And a Happy Birthday to Penny S!

Happy Birthday, Piglet. Have a great day.

Thanks, Loth! [Smile]

Things happen to my family in February; my brother-in-law, who was the nicest man on the planet, died 9 years ago today, the day after his 56th birthday.

I'm going to reach that age tomorrow; he would have reached retirement age yesterday.

My father turned 93 on Tuesday, and is at the "end-of-life treatment" stage and not expected to last much longer.

[Tear]

Family things happen in February here, too. My wonderful grandmother was born in February, married in February and just mananaged to die in February, on 29-2-92. I can't think of a more "Gran" date to die than the awkward date of 29th Feb, and a palindrome, too!

My grandfather followed four years later, and was buried on the 29th February 1996.

We got married on their 57th wedding anniversary. They made it to their 60th.

The North East Loon was born in February.

I love February! The days are lengthening, the snowdrops are out, the dark days of winter are over.

I hope this February is a gentle one for you, Piglet.

[ 12. February 2018, 08:35: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Thanks, NEQ - I suspect it won't be, but your thought is much appreciated. [Smile]

© Ship of Fools 2016