Thread: 2018, let us be thankful Board: All Saints / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=006289

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

I am grateful for my wonderful grandchildren. Eldest celebrates his nineteenth birhday today.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

At the moment I'm thankful that this weather-bomb hasn't put the power out ...

... yet. [Paranoid]

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

I am grateful for the friendliness of strangers. See something they are doing via their web page I like and which could help me at work; ask about it; they come back offering to help and more. People are good.

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

[Votive] reading [Votive] raying [Votive] we wer in the scurc

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

I am utterly thankful for a new GP who treats me like an adult. It feels like we're getting to the truth of what is going on with me rather than being dismissed with "not trying hard enough with diet/exercise."

That sounds like very good news, Japes - hope he/she can get to the root of your problem and be able to put it right.

[Votive]

My own thankfulness today is for the power not going off during the storm we had yesterday, and for the neighbour who attacked our driveway with his snow-blower this morning.

[Overused]

[ 05. January 2018, 21:39: Message edited by: Piglet ]

I too am thankful for good neighbours. Arthritis in shoulders makes it hard to hoist bags from kitchen bin into bins downstairs. I am often helped by someone in car park who sees me moving to bin room. Aas I was this morning. I do not remember seeing this person before but she said she was an owner not a tenant. There have been a few sales lately so perhaps she has just arrived.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

I'm thankful for my new cat, Oreo. See the pet thread for details.

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive] and I want in the curch tomorow,

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

I am thankful for three things which went right professionally, all on the same day! Two where bad news turned unexpectedly into good news, and one firming up a contract. Very cheering. [Axe murder]

Things going right professionally are always a Good Thing. [Smile]

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive] and i fisne and it was beeg

[Votive] rursy [Votive] praying [Votive] and I wash in the church and they dave fur.

[Votive] raesing [Votive] praying [Votive]

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive] and I was in the church and it was good.

[Votive] radig [Votive] paying [Votive]

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

I'm thankful for the faithful prayers of daisymay and others.

I'm also thankful for the staff of Arriva Trains Wales, who do not regularly feature on my 'praise' list, but who got my 86-year old father across Wales on 3 separate trains, on an unfamiliar journey in cold weather, and who gave him free coffee and newspaper despite him not being booked first class!

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive]

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive] and I dood the church tomoro ad I will wilk

Posted by MrsBeaky (# 17663) on :

A year ago today our grandson Baby Beaky was fighting for his life in the NICU at St Thomas's hospital, London. I am still thankful for the prayers and support of fellow shipmates back then.

Today we gathered as a family for fizz and cake to celebrate Baby Beaky's 1st birthday.
He faces many sensory and motor challenges but is healthy and happy and we remain hugely thankful that he is in our lives.
[Axe murder]

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

That's a wonderful anniversary for Baby Beaky - and for all of you.

What lovely news to hear, Mrs Beaky. Happy Birthday to the birthday boy. [Yipee]

Like you, I am grateful here for support with Miss M’s leukaemia and thankful for those who still pray for her and send good wishes.

Happy birthday, Baby Beaky! [Smile] [Axe murder] [Smile]

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

For Baby Beaky and the Beaky family [Votive]

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

Happy Birthday, Baby Beaky!

[Yipee] [Big Grin]

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive] and I was in the chigish and it was good at 5

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

Excellent news, Mrs. B!

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive] and I was in the cherch and it was bread and watn.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Yay baby Beaky [Yipee]

The last few days here have been very hot ( well, for a temperate climate) - at the upper extremes since records were kept.

I have been sick, especially in the afternoons -very grumpy and not able to think straight. It worried me because otherwise I was feeling good. Then, when I was doing my needlework the new lenses in my glasses didn't seem to be helping me focus and I worried that maybe I would have to give it up, after having just re-discovered it.

Finally on Monday morning the reason dawned on me. I take meds which lower my otherwise high blood pressure. The heat was lowering my blood pressure further, so that it was now too low. This had happened for a few days last summer, but then it wasn't so relentlessly hot.

I Googled the Mayo clinic on the symptoms of low BP to confirm my suspicions and they fitted my experience. Then I remembered my GP suggesting I halve the meds on hot days, miraculous healing!

I am so relieved. When confusion is a symptom and you live alone with no one else you can check it out with life can get a bit scary.

Huia

Huia

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

Thank you God for my wonderful children and for prayers answered for me and my fellow shipmates.

[Votive] reading [Votive] raying [Votive] a was in he chirch at and it was fine.

That is good to hear, daisymay.

[Votive] praying [Votive] readind [Votive]

I am thankful when I see you post, daisymay.

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

[Votive] Huia, and all who live alone, with all that that entails

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive] dang sid in the scutisg and I was good and they also filde ferd and it was food.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

Deeply thankful to God for the new start that my forthcoming interim ministry represents

Best wishes to you and family as all this is worked out.

Zappa [Axe murder]

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

For you all, for this site.

Zappa [Yipee]

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

Zappa, yes indeed very good news. Can you yet tell us the new appointment?

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

Good news, Zappa.

[Votive] praing [Votive] seding [Votive]

Hurrah, Zappa!

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

Great news, Zappa!

---

I am thankful for a good GP. No, an excellent GP. As someone with various maladies real and in the head the fact he lets me go on for 30 minutes when I'm booked in for 10 [sorry to those behind me!] and is always supportive and caring is a wonderful thing.

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

I am grateful for my lovely granddaughter who turned 12 yesterday. However, she informed me that it is her last year to be nice as she will be a 'horrible'teenager next year! I can't imagine her doing anything to upset me.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

Our rector reported saying to his own teen daughter, "There is nothing you can do that will make me love you more, and nothing that can make me love you less."

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive] add and it was good with reading and woird it the church.

[Votive] reading [Votive] praingg [Votive] and i was in the baed in the church and I wit later in the church/

Always good and encouraging to read you, daisy may.

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

For surgeons, oncologists, medical teams, drugs, friends who think of things I hadn't considered, for MrD, for everything that is good about this situation I find myself in. Thank you God.
"For I am the Lord your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says "Do not fear; I will help you"

It's a big adventure I'm setting out on, that I didn't choose, but which will happen anyway. I might as well try to enjoy the ride!!(if cancer can be said to be a "ride"!!)

Dormouse, you're an absolute inspiration - I very much doubt that I'd be saying much on the "praise and thanksgiving" thread if I were in your situation.

[Overused] [Votive] [Overused]

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

For the nurse who came on Friday, and said she would like to see D in clean clothes on the next visit. I've offered to wash clothes, but she's kept them on, and she's ever ready to accuse me of being dictatorial, so I sort of gave up on that. But they are now clean, she's got laundered things that have been waiting for ages actually on, and I've got her some new stuff as well, so she can change regularly - hopefully. Thank you nurse, for being the one who not only noticed, but commented.

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

For a dear friend who has offered to pay for a holiday for MrD and me when everything is "better"! A holiday?! We are blown away by her generosity.

And Piglet, no, not an inspiration...Just trying to get through this the best I can!

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive] it have been at the chursh and bith at both at veld as pread

Posted by Pangolin Guerre (# 18686) on :

X-rays yesterday, and no follow-up cast after ten weeks! Thanks be to God.

[Votive]

[Votive] praying [Votive] soding [Votive] and I work in e church ad it was good.

quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
X-rays yesterday, and no follow-up cast after ten weeks! Thanks be to God.

[Votive]

That is good news for you.

My sister is safely back from surgery. Thank you for your prayers and thank you Father for prayers answered.

[Votive]

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive] and I waths in the church and it was good.

Giving thanks for the vocations of all who have chosen to live religious lives, whether in religious orders or otherwise.

[Votive]

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Amen to that.

In other news, praise be to God that my toenailectomy was nowhere near as painful (during or after) as I had feared, and that the two Episcopal Toes affected are healing up nicely.

IJ

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive] it been in the schurs and it was bood

Glad to hear that the episcopal piggies are on the mend! [Smile]

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive] I have been in he church and it was good .

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

Lots of goodness, decency, common sense, well-being, joy and upliftedness on the planet, despite those many bad things in the news. Thankful for this - like, over and over again, calm in the midst of the storm and of the sheer madness of the world. Amazing grace.

[Votive]

[ 03. February 2018, 22:05: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

What Wesley said. [Votive]

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive] and it was a curc and a long wate

Dear Lord, another day to love you!

[Votive]

[Votive] peding [Votive] praying [Votive] and I was in the church and it was gread and it was.

[Votive] reading [Votive] praying [Votive] she was in the church and I was in here.

God bless you, daisymay.

Bless God for His goodness - a great parents' evening. Teachers seem to be enjoying teaching the boy and to be pleased with his behaviour and achievement. Long may it last!

Great stuff.

AND - it's half term next week!

[Votive] praying [Votive] surid [Votive] and I was in the church at sind

Dil is home now after ankle surgery and says she is exhausted but in significantly less pain than she has had since accident almost a month ago.

Good news, Lothlorien.

Glad to hear it, Loth - wishing her a swift recovery!

Posted by Polly Plummer (# 13354) on :

Thanks and praise for the life and work of my friend M, to whom we gave a splendid send-off at Lichfield Cathedral yesterday. Good to know she died soon after being taken ill, so no long-drawn-out suffering.

May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

I was going to put this on the prayer request thread, but enough time has passed that I can breathe a sigh of relief and make this praise.

A very sweet young lady in the community where I work— let’s call her Dulce, because she is— got a call from someone claiming to be a representative of ICE, telling her she had tax issues that would threaten her work visa. ( from that point he continued on with the bank info/ iTunes card demands that tax scammers have been using for the last two years.

I overheard her boss tell her these people were crooks, and that ICE doesn’t operate that way. It was suggested she report the number to the IRS, but Dulce was understandably reluctant to draw attention to herself.

And she didn’t come to work the next day.

Since I had heard very little about the situation and it would not be appropriate for me to ask around, I told myself she was probably taking time off to review the situation, but due to the current immigration environment I was beating back catastrophic thoughts until she came back. Again I kept my ears peeled going by the office, and heard her telling her boss that everything checked out. All seems normal now.

Anyway— this is not the first time we’ve had one of these scares, and it won’t be the last. For now, Praise God that Dulce is ok.

I am doig chuch

Posted by sabine (# 3861) on :

Praying for Uncle Pete. See Smudgie's post on the Canada thread

sabine

Posted by sabine (# 3861) on :

OMG!! I am posting on a small phone with only one eye. The above belongs in the prayer thread.

sabine

Posted by Polly Plummer (# 13354) on :

It is confusing, hosts, that the prayer thread and the thanksgiving thread have changed places!

I've been thinking that, Polly. I think it may be to do with the relative times that each thread was started. I'll ask upstairs to see if they can be swapped.

Piglet, AS host

Piglet I have already asked about the manner to do it.

Heartfelt thanksgiving - it's half-term!

Even more thanksgiving if I manage to do half the things I have earmarked for the week....

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Piglet I have already asked about the manner to do it.

To all wanting a reversal of the order of posts. It can be done, but is a bit messy.

However. We now know how to avoid it happeneing, so when the new boards arrive, we will be careful to get them right.

[ 12. February 2018, 19:39: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Thanks Lothlorien! [Smile]

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I can hear, the other side of the flimsy bedroom wall, my friend breathing peacefully in his sleep. He has been finding sleep very difficult with his flu (or whatever it is) and his mother rabbiting on about trivia - he usually spends the night with her to make sure she used stairs safely, and she does not sleep at normal times - never has. Good peaceful sleep is what he very much needs.

It was so good to hear DIL say she was beginning to feel good in and about herself.Thr3ee weeks out from ankle reconstruction after accident occurred near the end of January.

No pain meds all day yesterda till evening was goofd too. She has check up with surgeon tomorrow and is resigned to more weeks of antibiotics for infection in the wound.

My teenaged granddaughter had them for three months for golden staph picked up in hospital when wounds from being hit by a car were dressed. I don’t think DIL has that problem but knows it is not a quick fix.

Posted by Lia (# 7396) on :

I asked for prayers a while ago in relation to a prolonged and nasty disciplinary process that could have led to dismissal.

It took 8 months of huge stress but I have kept my job and want to give thanks to my wonderfully supportive boss and all the friends who supported me through a horrible period.

Although I handled the stress will on the job, the anger I vented at my boyfriend as a result, has cost my my relationship, but that is another story (one for the prayer thread again...)

Posted by Landlubber (# 11055) on :

I am snowed in alone, for the first time. Today I had five 'phone calls checking that I am OK. So grateful.

Posted by Rosa Gallica officinalis (# 3886) on :

As this creaking vessel heads back to harbour I am so grateful for what this community has been (and will continue to be on a shiny new ship). A place where my thinking has been challenged and changed, where my vocational journey has been supported, where I've met some wonderful people, had fun, and prayed for them, and been prayed for in dark & difficult times. Thank you God for the Ship of Fools.

© Ship of Fools 2016