Thread: New Ship forums launch next Wednesday, 28 February Board: The Styx / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003468

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Dear everyone, I'm very happy to announce that we're finally ready to move house. Thanks for bearing with us so patiently as we sort everything out. The new Ship of Fools forums will open for registration next Wednesday, 28 February, at 5pm UK time. At that time, I'll post the link to the new forums here in the Styx.

Once the link is online, we'll be disabling posting on all our existing boards except for the Styx. Admins and Hosts will respond there to anyone having trouble getting on board the new forums. So please regard 5pm next Wednesday as the definitive time when we move out of here and into the new Ship of Fools. All discussion (apart from questions about registration) will cease here at that time and move to 'the other place'.

We are launching the new Ship of Fools site in stages, with this move as the first stage. We won't be doing any off-site publicity surrounding next Wednesday's move, so this is an in-house launch for members (and readers) of the boards only. It's a pretty big moment, as the last time we moved house was in March 2001.

The long-term future of the old boards is that they will be set to read-only, and kept online as a permanent and public archive.

Thanks again to everyone who regularly supports the Ship, and to those who gave to the New Ship fund. We're all hugely grateful to you for making this move possible. And all the best to everyone for next Wednesday.

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

I'm surprised how excited I am by this announcement. Well done and thank you to everyone involved.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Hope we don't all rush over to the same side at once and scupper the new ship before she's even had chance to sail!

Many thanks to the captain and his gang for all their hard work bringing this venture to fruition.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

WoooooO!

Such good news, and well done.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Great news.

Thanks for all your hard work.

[Big Grin]

Posted by Jack o' the Green (# 11091) on :

That's great news. Can't wait for Wednesday. Thanks to everyone behind the scenes who must have been working so hard to get the new website shipshape and ready for use. To the undiscovered country!

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

Question: What about the PM links and PM-to-email links from the old boards? I feel these might need to be kept open for a week or longer, until old contacts are re-established on the New Ship. This as a relational safety net, for a certain period of time. Will our own Old Ship profiles remain accessible to us for a while?

Any thoughts on the issue, please? Thank you very much.

[ 24. February 2018, 11:26: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

Good question. I'd been assuming they would be available on a "read only" basis, like the rest of the boards. But hadn't checked.

Posted by mr cheesy (# 3330) on :

Possibly these are silly questions.

Will the hosts allow threads to continue from the old boards? Will there be an amnesty with regard to quoting what someone said on the old boards?

Fwiw the latter is going to be tricky if the poster hasn't identified themselves on the new board. But on the other hand, having a "clean break" and starting again might just be an invitation to repeat the same arguments.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

[Oh, dear. Having to move after 17 years! There's so much to do. Must pack up everything -- what did I do with those boxes? Maybe I should have decluttered before this. Will I need to clean everything before I go?]

Looking forward, with some trepidation, to next Wednesday!

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Possibly these are silly questions.

Will the hosts allow threads to continue from the old boards? Will there be an amnesty with regard to quoting what someone said on the old boards?

Fwiw the latter is going to be tricky if the poster hasn't identified themselves on the new board. But on the other hand, having a "clean break" and starting again might just be an invitation to repeat the same arguments.

Some hosts are planning on copying over a few of the recently busy threads, with a link to the old ones, and envisage this functioning in much the same way as when a thread is moved between boards here.

I'm sure everyone will employ common sense in this respect [Ultra confused]

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Will Simon be smashing a bottle of virtual champagne against the bows, before the shiny Ship slides sideways down the slipway into cyberspace?

Try saying that after a wee dram or several....

[Help]

Hope it goes well - see you all (hopefully)on board next week!

IJ

Posted by Miffy (# 1438) on :

I’ll be ashore and sans internet at time of launch until Friday evening. Does the new system work to ensure that nobody else would be able to pinch my ID in the meantime? Else I’ll be so miffed. [Paranoid]

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
I’ll be ashore and sans internet at time of launch until Friday evening. Does the new system work to ensure that nobody else would be able to pinch my ID in the meantime? Else I’ll be so miffed. [Paranoid]

From previous comments by the crew, there is no technical mechanism in place to ensure that only you can register as "Miffy". But:

1. There is an assumption that regular posters will behave like half-way reasonable people.

2. AIUI, people "stealing" another regular's name will not be looked on favourably by the crew if you make a complaint.

Posted by Miffy (# 1438) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:

From previous comments by the crew, there is no technical mechanism in place to ensure that only you can register as "Miffy". But:

1. There is an assumption that regular posters will behave like half-way reasonable people.

2. AIUI, people "stealing" another regular's name will not be looked on favourably by the crew if you make a complaint.

Thanks, yes, I’m probably worrying needlessly. Surprising how attached you get to something as daft as an online name.

Anyoldhow, I’m sure there are ways of getting round it, if push comes to shove.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
AIUI, people "stealing" another regular's name will not be looked on favourably by the crew if you make a complaint.

This.

I rather hope that there won't be too many name changes.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who always reads posts by certain Shipmates, but always scrolls past others'!

[Help]

IJ

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

Yay! Yay! Yay! Been so anticipating this!

Posted by Raptor Eye (# 16649) on :

Woohoo! [Axe murder] [Yipee] :

Well done and thank you to all who have worked so hard to make this happen. [Overused]

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

Trust me, we’re all as excited as you guys about finally moving in! The new digs look amazing, and some of the new functionality is going to be very useful [Big Grin]

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

Huzzah! Thank you, Simon.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Trust me, we’re all as excited as you guys about finally moving in! The new digs look amazing, and some of the new functionality is going to be very useful [Big Grin]

I'm not excited. The limitations of this old technology are part of the rhythm of my usage. Though I know I'll adapt to the new and likely appreciate the user improvements.
I am, though, happy for any improvement on the stability of the software. You lot need to put up with us (and each other) so it will be good if you do not need to also patch leaks and trim sail as often.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
I'm not excited. The limitations of this old technology are part of the rhythm of my usage. Though I know I'll adapt to the new and likely appreciate the user improvements.

The great thing about the new software is it’s perfectly capable of being used the same way as these ones (barring superficial appearance changes) if that’s what you want to do. The extra functions are just that - extra.

quote:
I am, though, happy for any improvement on the stability of the software. You lot need to put up with us (and each other) so it will be good if you do not need to also patch leaks and trim sail as often.
This is true.

[im looking forward to coding being easier in future. Especially when using a mobile phone]

[ 24. February 2018, 16:42: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

I would confirm with Marvin, that the new software looks different, but functions very much the same. I know some people don't do change well, and I believe that the change here can be quite small.

But there are also usefull additions, and - critically - it should be much more stable and reliable.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I would confirm with Marvin, that the new software looks different, but functions very much the same. I know some people don't do change well, and I believe that the change here can be quite small.

But there are also usefull additions, and - critically - it should be much more stable and reliable.

That's good. I'm glad that these changes will keep the old boat afloat in the coming years, but I'm such a techno-peasant (bless my heart!) that I'm feeling a little trepidation.

Posted by Pants (# 999) on :

But I'm playing with meerkats and armadillos at 5pm.

Posted by Adrienne (# 2334) on :

Yay! A big thank you to everyone who is making this happen. [Overused]

Posted by Stejjie (# 13941) on :

Yay! Looking forward to this - thanks to everyone who's worked to make this possible.

I may even post a bit more on the new Ship... that'll learn ya...

Posted by W Hyatt (# 14250) on :

quote:
I would confirm with Marvin, that the new software looks different, but functions very much the same.

Just out of curiosity, will it still be possible to see who has recently visited a thread?

No. Depending on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist, you are now free to assume either that everyone's reading your deathless prose, or that nobody is.

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

I'm bad enough at coding as it is. I hope the new site won't baffle me ...

Perhaps it's deliberate. A Gamaliel free zone ...

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Well done team. It will be awesome.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

Hip, Hip, Hooray! Something to get us in the mood!

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

I am assuming the incrowd* gets to register at 3 pm and have first crack at the canapés and gin.

*If you have to ask, you are not.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
I am assuming the incrowd* gets to register at 3 pm and have first crack at the canapés and gin.

Assume all you want. If you don't already know, you are not.

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

I am looking forward to this and have put a reminder on my calendar to hie me to the New Ship after my Usual Wednesday Commitment.

I am having way too much excitement for one day, a rare trip to a concert, a Calcutta Cup win and a New Ship.

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:

Assume all you want. If you don't already know, you are not.
I look forward to waving at you at 3pm MT, if I'm not napping.
Of course, some of us will already have well and truly claimed the chaise lounge having finished our degustation... [Biased]

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

quote:
Originally posted by W Hyatt:
quote:
I would confirm with Marvin, that the new software looks different, but functions very much the same.

Just out of curiosity, will it still be possible to see who has recently visited a thread?
I've been here all this time and my ego never knew such a feature existed. [Disappointed]

Probably for the best.

Wonderful news! A huge THANK YOU to all involved.

I'm normally leaving work at 5pm and get home at about 5.30. I can't believe I'm thinking of hanging back so I can register ASAP.

Posted by Alwyn (# 4380) on :

Thank you to everyone who has worked to create the new Ship! Even though I post rarely nowadays, I'm looking forward to reading it. Life woudn't be the same without it.

Thanks, everyone. We're hugely looking forward to welcoming you all to the new forums. We've had them to ourselves, getting them ready, for too long! Holy Gator, pray for us.

Aaaaay-men.

Glory, Glory, Glory.

Praise Jeeeesus..(and the other folks too).

IJ

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

Thank you for the hard work.

I'm an infrequent poster, but I love the Ship and hope to meet many more Holy Fools in the new place.

Cattyish, contemplating committing cookery.

Posted by verity (# 18571) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Will Simon be smashing a bottle of virtual champagne against the bows, before the shiny Ship slides sideways down the slipway into cyberspace?

IJ

I think that tradition and supersition dictates that only women may launch a ship.
So that'll have to fall to Amanda B Reckondwythe....

Simon (or other officers in the know), will the private boards be reopening on Wednesday, or later?

Thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by verity:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

IJ

I think that tradition and supersition dictates that only women may launch a ship.
So that'll have to fall to Amanda B Reckondwythe....

The Vikings believed that the sea gods demanded a human sacrifice with every launch (usually a slave). After Christianity took hold a goat was offered instead. So if anyone's got a spare goat (or slave), now's the time to speak up.

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Simon (or other officers in the know), will the private boards be reopening on Wednesday, or later?

Thank you.

As I understand it, all of the boards will ope at the same time. Including the 8th Day Write or Wrong!

Posted by Scots lass (# 2699) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
I am having way too much excitement for one day, a rare trip to a concert, a Calcutta Cup win and a New Ship.

I'm taking the Calcutta Cup win as an auspicious sign for the New Ship - a week including a miracle can't be bad for a Christian Website (TM)...

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

For all who worked to make this happen.
[Overused]

Hi Rossweisse... all the forums, private as well as public, will open on Wednesday. What are you thinking about Via Media? PM me if you want to discuss it.

Posted by Anglican't (# 15292) on :

I'm not planning to make the jump myself, but hope the transition goes well. Good luck!

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
I'm not planning to make the jump myself, but hope the transition goes well. Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear that, Anglican't. I know you haven't been very active lately, but I enjoyed meeting you at "my" Shipmeet in London (5 years ago?), and it's always fun to recognize you when you post. I hope you'll come aboard the new Ship at some point.

Somebody has probably already asked this, but what is the pixel x pixel size of the new avatars, so I can prepare one?

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

48x48 pixels.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
48x48 pixels.

Note however that the same picture appears on your profile page in a 250x225 format, so unless you start with quite a high-resolution image, the result can be very blurry.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

I've not clocked everything we have to do when transferring to the new ship. Especially avatars - do we pick new ones, or will the old ones automatically transfer?

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

I chose one from saved photos for it a few months ago. Then changed it yesterday to another of my photos. All done in your profile

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
I've not clocked everything we have to do when transferring to the new ship. Especially avatars - do we pick new ones, or will the old ones automatically transfer?

There is no automatic transfer of anything. If you want to keep your current avatar then save the image on your own computer then load it up when you register on the new site.

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

I’m using one of the standard avatars. AFAICT, if I download it, it is in 48px x 48px. Does it exist/ is it available in a larger format so that it will work on my profile page on the new ship?

A couple of other tips before Wednesday.

1. Your screen name and your login name are one and the same. And the max length is 20 characters (no prophet .... please note!). Because we won't have sigs repeated automatically on each post, if you do change your screen name, the only way of letting folks know would be to add something like "was xxxxxxx" to every post for a while!

I suppose you might want to lose the old connection, but I'm guessing that's a minority view. Simplest thing is just to retain your current screen name - which is what I've done. (no prophet ..... might just have to be a shorter no prophet .....)

2. The new software asks you to choose a password of at least 15 digits. That was a gulp(!!) moment for me, but I resolved it by including a memorable short phrase before some memorable numbers. And I've actually found the longer password easier to recall than shorter ones I've used. Technical advice is that longer passwords are a lot more secure. Anyway, I thought it might be helpful to know that in advance, get prepared.

(Examples of memorable phrases - or long words - with a number or two thrown in, might be things like "standardtime12noon" or "independenceday0704". )

There will be a practice thread in the Styx for the new software. That will probably accumulate some useful tips. Personally, I've found it pretty easy to adapt.

[ 26. February 2018, 08:24: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

1. Your screen name and your login name are one and the same. And the max length is 20 characters (no prophet .... please note!). Because we won't have sigs repeated automatically on each post, if you do change your screen name, the only way of letting folks know would be to add something like "was xxxxxxx" to every post for a while!

I suppose you might want to lose the old connection, but I'm guessing that's a minority view. Simplest thing is just to retain your current screen name - which is what I've done. (no prophet ..... might just have to be a shorter no prophet .....)

Many thanks for the information and advice. I'll be one of the minority. I've never really been happy with my signing in name which hasn't been the same as my screen name for years.

I shall ensure I add the requested sentence for a while.

Does anyone know if the new software will track a hippie's usage across devices? At the moment, if I look at the ship on my phone, posts I've viewed show as visited links, but when I look at the site on my laptop they don't. (By contrast my IMAP mail clients shows across all devices if I have read an email.)

Thinking about this, I don't even know if it is technically possible since in the case of email it is a matter of the information being held on the server and then read by each client. In this case it would mean the forum holding some information about users' history on the site, and somehow feeding that back to the different browsers.

A couple of whoopsies in my advice.

1. Should have said 15 characters, not digits.

2. My examples were to show what a 15+ character password might look like. But they are of course far too easily guessable. That was misleading. I should have added "Don't use generally memorable phrases, they are too easily guessable. Just use ones which are personal memorable for you. That's what I did. Same goes for numbers - probably a good idea to avoid 911, 1776, 1066 etc." The key really is to think "memorable to me, not easily guessable by anyone else".

[ 26. February 2018, 09:25: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
Does anyone know if the new software will track a hippie's usage across devices?

Yes, it does. There are "new post" indicators that will show until you read that post (well, open it, the software isn't smart enough to track your eyes to confirm you're actually reading what's displayed on your screen), on whatever devices you use. And, unlike the indicators on this software they actually work. Swap to a different device and what you've just read will no longer be listed as a new post.

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

Looking forward to this - exciting times.
Annoyingly I won't be home on Wednesday afternoon so I'll have to wait till the evening to see the sparkling new vessel.

quote:
Does anyone know if the new software will track a hippie's usage across devices?

Man. Tune in - turn on - post - Drop Out. [Cool]

[Razz]

Sorry, it was too good to miss [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

quote:
2. The new software asks you to choose a password of at least 15 digits. That was a gulp(!!) moment for me, but I resolved it by including a memorable short phrase before some memorable numbers.

The current software lets me stay logged in even if I turn off my computer. In other words, if I come to work and turn on my computer and go to the Old Ship, it remembers that I am logged in. As a result, I have not really had to remember my current Ship password as I seldom have to put it in. How will that work in the New Ship? If it will remember that I am logged in, then I have no problem using my Password Generator to spit out a random selection of 15 characters...but if I am actually going to have to remember the blasted thing when I log in to my computer each morning I might want something easier to remember.

It remembers you so long as you don't explicitly log out.

You may also be able to use your browser to remember passwords - certainly you can on Firefox.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Chrome remembers passwords, so long as you're logged in to Chrome. But it means I can switch between tablet and laptop easily. Haven't set the phone up yet.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

And I assume I can take my user name and password and use it across a number of devices -- the desk computer, the Ipad, the smart phone. If only I can remember it.

Sure Brenda.You can only have one login/screen name anyway.

All my devices remember my passwords and Google Chrome keeps an independent secure record as well.

But sometimes hardware and software failures get in the way and memorable passwords can be a help.

[ 26. February 2018, 14:11: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

I need a memorable password, because although at work I'm accessing the Ship from a computer on my desk it's still technically shared. So, I don't want to stay logged in, and I don't want Google to remember the password. Laptop at home and my phone are a different issue, as no one will be using them without a) having already stolen them and b) broken the password to login to them the risk is less.

Posted by Pine Marten (# 11068) on :

quote:

Sorry to be really dense but my login and screen name are different, and I'm logged in all the time even though I don't post much. How will that work exactly, with a different login and screen name..?

Registration is an all-new process. When you register, your login and your screen name must be the same. In your case, both could be Pine Marten [Smile]

[ 26. February 2018, 14:50: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posted by Pine Marten (# 11068) on :

Ah! thank you, Eutychus, my techy know-how is abysmally small [Smile]

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

Would members of Fair Havens please visit the board, or PM me.

Thanks
Q.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

quote:
(no prophet ..... might just have to be a shorter no prophet .....)

Dreams of a vessel before she was scheduled for scuttling....I had a thought that when name change amnesties occured, I would add the next lines to the story I was going to make with my usernames, i.e.,

no prophet's flag is set so...
no prophet went to sea...
where no prophet found...
etc

I'm sure everyone is glad I don't get to do this now.

Would members of Via Media please PM me?

(And if you think you might be interested in Via Media, the Anglican/Episcopal board, please PM me!)

no prophet .......

Commiserations [Biased]

I suppose you might just have to become "no prophet" again?

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

On the up side, Alan Cresswell convinced us to allow spaces.

Rossweisse... your PM box is full.

Thank you, Simon, and my apologies. I have done a bit of tidying.

(Will the New Ship have bigger PM boxes?)

Posted by Oscar the Grouch (# 1916) on :

Can I just take this opportunity to say that I will be taking advantage of the new registration to change my ID? I will, of course, make sure that my initial posts on the new Ship will refer to OtG and I intend to carry over my avatar. It is just that I have been wanting for some time to change names and this seems the perfect opportunity. Now all I have to do is decide what new name I want....

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

Who will be the last person to post here, I wonder, and live in infamy? I can picture people hovering over the post button as the second hand reaches 12...

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

Will there be a lifeboat drill?

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Who will be the last person to post here, I wonder, and live in infamy? I can picture people hovering over the post button as the second hand reaches 12...

Get some eBay boys on the job [Razz]

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

{Hands out tie-died Ship's t-shirts, plus love beads and Birkenstock sandals.}

Remembering that although marked by particular fashion and music choices, hippies were also the front line of peaceful mass protests against the Vietnam war. They "dropped out" of main stream American culture, but did so to be political activists from outside the main political processes. Portrayed as unpatriotic cowards by those (including the mainstream media and politicians) who thought the Vietnam war was essential to keep America great, they stood and sat in peaceful protest against that war, courageously suffering physical assault without retaliation.

We need a new hippy movement to stand in peaceful protest against the warmongers, hatred and injustice of mainstream western "civilisation".

Idea Re Current PM Boxes:

I'm copying any PMs I want to keep, and pasting them into a blank document. (One after another, in the same document.)

Two methods I know of:

1) Open the PM, and do a Select All. (Mouse right button OR from Edit menu.) Copy. (Same way.) Pasted into a blank document, and Save.

NOTE: This will pick up everything on the page, not just the PM, so it's a little messy. But, if you're in a hurry, this is quick.

2) Open the PM. Click at the left edge of the blue bar, and hold down the mouse button while you drag all the way to the end of the PM. Copy. (Mouse right button OR from Edit menu.)

I've been using Method 2, but may switch.

I know a lot of us have a backlog of PMs. Saving them now, at least the ones you really want, may save regrets later.

FWIW.

That activist side of hippydom still lives on. In the 60s I think we were really helped by Dylan, Pete Seeger, Joan Baez, early Simon and Garfunkel, and other minstrels, who articulated the dangers and the alienation.

Not sure whether there are such powerful minstrels today but YMMV.

Question re timing of shutdown of this site:

12:00 am Wed.? And is that UK time, or... ?

I'm on the West Coast of the US, so Pacific Time, about 7 hours behind UK time. If you're going by UK time, then the Ship will close down around 5 pm here.

TIA for clarification. [Smile]

Posted by Stejjie (# 13941) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Question re timing of shutdown of this site:

12:00 am Wed.? And is that UK time, or... ?

I'm on the West Coast of the US, so Pacific Time, about 7 hours behind UK time. If you're going by UK time, then the Ship will close down around 5 pm here.

TIA for clarification. [Smile]

I thought it was 5pm UK time, according to Simon's OP?

Stejjie--

Ah, thanks! I missed that; and some folks on this page were talking about right at 12, so I figured it was midnight.

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
quote:

{Hands out tie-died Ship's t-shirts, plus love beads and Birkenstock sandals.}
I think love beads might mean something slightly different in this day and age! Have SoF T-shirts ever been considered? I would definitely purchase a few if they were available (or pens, badges, fridge magnets.....)

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

I shan't be joining the new forums for at least several months, but I hope everything goes well. I'm keen to see what everything looks like!

Posted by Esmeralda (# 582) on :

Members of Waving, when you register for the new Ship, and it asks your reason for joining, say 'I am a member of Waving not Drowning', so that you get continued access. Visit the board today for other thoughts on the change.

I haven't yet seen the URL. I assume that will be provided when it is providential?

quote:
I haven't yet seen the URL. I assume that will be provided when it is providential?

Correct.

I got this info from one of our very hard working tekkies.

On PMs we'll probably have some time after the switchover. There's a Two Stage process involved in turning off this current site.

Stage 1, disabling of posting except for the Styx, still allows you to log in/stay logged in, to this current site and you will still be able to read your PMs - though you won't be able to write any more. The Styx will be open for moving queries for as long as it takes.

Stage 2, the archiving stage, essentially reduces all of us to "lurker" status for this current site. Effectively, we will all be logged out permanently. And lurkers have no access to PMs. The site will still be available to read all the posts preserved here - but not PMs.

I think we will be given notice of when we will move from Stage 1 to Stage 2.

Anyway, that's as I understand the technicalities, and no doubt a tekkie will be along to clarify if I've got this a bit wrong.

Can someone of a technical bent explain, very slowly and in simple language, what to do to save PMs? Some of them are precious.

Thank you!

The only option I know of is a manual copy and paste to a text document on your computer.

Open the PM you want to save, highlight the text, copy it, open a text editor/word processor file and paste the text in. You'll almost certainly need to insert the name it was from, the date and time etc. Repeat for all PMs you want to save (they can go in the same document if that's easier).

What sort of device are you using, Rossweisse?

Copy and paste techniques vary a bit, depending on whether you are using a computer or a tablet with a Windows operating system, or An Apple computer or Tablet (or smartphone) using the Apple operating system IOS.

More of us use smartphones these days, and if you are, what you do is a bit different again with an android phone compared with an iphone.

But whatever you've got, there is no alternative to one-PM-at-a-time copying, pasting, and adding information about who the PM was from, or sent to.

Printing a page of PMs to PDF using my browser function is what I'd do.

[ 27. February 2018, 18:21: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

This might be a really dense question.

Will the web address of the entire Ship change tomorrow afternoon? In which case, what will it change to, so that we can find the new port from which to re-embark.

Or will the Ship itself stay with the same home port, but we will be able to find the new boards to embark on by going to the home port and clicking on some sort of ticket office or quay that will appear there tomorrow afternoon?

Barnabas, I'm using a Windows 10 desktop.

Thanks!

Ross as I said I would use the "print" option in your browser to print a page of PMs to PDF. Top right corner "hamburger" menu in Firefox.

Thank you, Eutychus. I will try to figure it out; I'm not much good with this stuff anymore. (I blame chemo brain - it's got to be useful for something!)

Don't hesitate to PM me if you need a walk-through.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

Will the web address of the entire Ship change tomorrow afternoon? In which case, what will it change to, so that we can find the new port from which to re-embark.

AFAIK, the link will be posted here, and several other places on the Ship.

You'll have to try really hard to miss it!

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

AFAIK, the link will be posted here, and several other places on the Ship.

You'll have to try really hard to miss it!

Thank you.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
Thank you, Eutychus. I will try to figure it out; I'm not much good with this stuff anymore. (I blame chemo brain - it's got to be useful for something!)

Open the PM you want to save.

Right click anywhere on the page, then choose "Print..."

Under "Destination," chose "Save as PDF," the click on "Save."

You'll be prompted to choose a folder/location for the file and to give the file a name. Do those two things and click "Save" again.

Done. [Smile]

[ 27. February 2018, 19:47: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

I've been known to take a photograph of the thing I wish to save and save the image. I've also been known to handwrite interesting or touching or personally important internet things into a fabric bound notebook.
Cattyish, trying to stay awake a little longer.

Just a suggestion that maybe the Farewell to Uncle Pete thread in All Saints should be moved to Glory before the ship is set in drydock.

That will happen

Many thanks, Eutychus and Nick!

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

quote:
Can someone of a technical bent explain, very slowly and in simple language, what to do to save PMs? Some of them are precious.

Thank you!

I just did this with a PC computer which means it will work on a Windows, Linux or Google Chrome computer system. It would work on a Apple computer if you know how to select with a mouse, copy and paste as far as I know.

1. Go to the top of the PM you want to save and put your cursor above the icon of the sender on the left. You should be just below the band which says "Source (consider it)". Basically you're inside the frame of the messages.

2. Holding the Left mouse button down, scroll your mouse down to the bottom of the frame of the last message in the PM series.

3. Let go of the Left mouse button key.

4. Right click on the highlighted area you selected. A menu may come up which includes "copy", if so click on that. If the menu does not come up, hold down Control and hit the letter C (for copy).

5. Open up a word processor program (Word, OpenOffice, LibreOffice) and get a blank document.

6. Hold down Control key and hit the letter V which will paste the contents. The other way is go to a menu at the top of the program and find "paste", which is usually in the menu labelled "Edit".

You should have the messages, including the users' icons/avatars.

Rossweisse--

quote:

Thank you!

R, this is what I've been doing and suggesting:

quote:
Idea Re Current PM Boxes:

I'm copying any PMs I want to keep, and pasting them into a blank document. (One after another, in the same document.)

Two methods I know of:

1) Open the PM, and do a Select All. (Mouse right button OR from Edit menu.) Copy. (Same way.) Paste into a blank document, and Save. Repeat for all you want to save, pasting them into the same document.

NOTE: This will pick up everything on the page, not just the PM, so it's a little messy. But, if you're in a hurry, this is quick.

2) Open the PM. Click at the left edge of the blue bar, and hold down the mouse button while you drag all the way to the end of the PM. Copy. (Mouse right button OR from Edit menu.) Paste into a blank document, and Save. Repeat for all you want to save, pasting them into the same document.

I've been using Method 2, but may switch.

I know a lot of us have a backlog of PMs. Saving them now, at least the ones you really want, may save regrets later.

FWIW.

Posted by aliehs (# 18878) on :

Is that GMT?
Am I still here? wherever here is.
Am I on the new ship?
Or , am I still on the old ship?
till tomorrow, as it sinks into the Atlantic?

Was there a ritual bottle of champagne for the launching? Who swung the bottle?

In case I am designed to be relegated to Davy Jones' Locker, it's been a pleasure knowing you all.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by aliehs:
Is that GMT?
Am I still here? wherever here is.
Am I on the new ship?
Or , am I still on the old ship?
till tomorrow, as it sinks into the Atlantic?

Was there a ritual bottle of champagne for the launching? Who swung the bottle?

In case I am designed to be relegated to Davy Jones' Locker, it's been a pleasure knowing you all.

5PM GMT. Go here and add 5 hours to your time zone.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

It is now the 28th and I have only just seen this thread. I'll ask my technically-minded neighbour to give me a helping hand if I have problems, but will send out am SOS on The Styx if I can't get on board.

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

Ok. I'm worried. I have only been able to access the current ship from my cellphone as our laptop so wants to die a peaceful death. Will I be able to re-register tomorrow using just my smartphone? My phone is smart. I, however...

Yes, you will.

Posted by Alex Cockell (# 7487) on :

Please could someone make the URL of the new ship extremely obvious?

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:

Amen.

It will be.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

I am sure it will be.

Also, five o’clock is just the new luxury liner drawing up alongside the dock.

Gangplanks will be lowered, smartly-suited Crew will be on hand to direct you to your cabin, it will not sail away until everyone is on board. Well enough of the nautical metaphors. It’ll all be fine. There’s no hurry.

At 5pm GMT this evening the following will happen:

What won't happen is for there to be a cut-off on registration. If you're not here to register at 5pm GMT this won't be a problem. You will miss out on reading/posting on the new Ship until you can be online ... but you wouldn't have been reading/posting here then either (not being online). You may miss out on initial teething trouble. You may find that the solution to common problems is already posted here.

[ 28. February 2018, 07:27: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:

Amen.
Especially since some Shipmates use text-to-voice software, which AIUI can be somewhat troublesome. Their software might have a hard time finding the URL.

Thx.

Once the website is open for general business, it's also going to be obtainable via search engines. As are details of this website.

Posted by MaryLouise (# 18697) on :

This all sounds comforting except for Firenze's mention of 'smartly suited crew'. Who ARE they?

And what has happened to our shabby foul-mouthed Hosts?

ROTFL!

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
This all sounds comforting except for Firenze's mention of 'smartly suited crew'. Who ARE they?

And how much are they paying these young smartly suited seafarers in uniform?

(OK, I added a bit ..)

Young?

Forever Young.

quote:
Forever Young.

This should be the anthem for the New Ship [Smile]

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

quote:

I left.

P.O.S.H. now they be.

quote:

Some of us are confined to the boiler room until we set sail. Apparently.

‘Have you such a thing as a dungeon on board?

We have!

Then load him with chains and take him there at once!’

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

So where is this New Ship? Has it got frozen to the slipway ("delayed due to adverse weather conditions")?

Check your timetable. It's not due for a few hours yet.

[ 28. February 2018, 10:25: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

It's now 12 noon GMT. The new Ship boards open in five hours (give or take a minute or two).

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
‘Have you such a thing as a dungeon on board?’

Presumably on the Freedom and Song private board....

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
It's now 12 noon GMT. The new Ship boards open in five hours (give or take a minute or two).

Will I be required to smash a bottle of champagne against my computer?

Yes. Yes you should do that.

Posted by argona (# 14037) on :

I'm an occasional visitor so only found lately that this is happening. Do I need to do anything, to stay in touch?

Yes.

In a little over an hour, this Ship will start to close, and the new Ship will start taking on passengers.

You'll need to reregister on the new Ship (the URL of which will be prominently posted here), preferably using your existing username.

Further instructions are on this thread.

I'm a bit late in asking this (46 minutes to go!), but what will happen to the Gallery?

Many of the pictures are of Shipmates who no longer post. Will there be a fresh new Gallery at some point?

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I'm a bit late in asking this (46 minutes to go!), but what will happen to the Gallery?

Many of the pictures are of Shipmates who no longer post. Will there be a fresh new Gallery at some point?

It's been part of our discussions, but nothing firm has been agreed so far. As I'm sure you'll appreciate, it's not been one of the priorities.

The existing gallery will continue to exist on the same basis as the existing boards, so if lurkers can see it then it will remain accessible indefinitely.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

Brig. Ships have brigs.

tic tock, tic tock

Half an hour to go...

quote:
quote:

It's been part of our discussions, but nothing firm has been agreed so far. As I'm sure you'll appreciate, it's not been one of the priorities.

The existing gallery will continue to exist on the same basis as the existing boards, so if lurkers can see it then it will remain accessible indefinitely.

Thanks for the response. (It's obviously not high on my list either, since I just thought of it a few minutes ago.)

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

Brig. Ships have brigs.
Tell that to Messrs Gilbert and Sullivan.

Posted by AndyB (# 10186) on :

Silly but techie nerdy question (I'm both, so that's allowed.)

What software are you using for the new forums?

Vanilla v2.3.1

Posted by Anglican't (# 15292) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:

I'm sorry to hear that, Anglican't. I know you haven't been very active lately, but I enjoyed meeting you at "my" Shipmeet in London (5 years ago?), and it's always fun to recognize you when you post. I hope you'll come aboard the new Ship at some point.
Gosh, it was a while ago! Yes, likewise and was a fun evening. I've broken a few 2018 resolutions already, so never say never but, for now, adieu.

© Ship of Fools 2016