Thread: Saints Days and moveable Feasts and Fasts Board: Ecclesiantics / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=008459

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

I noticed St David isn't commemorated in the CofE Common Worship lectionary today (1st March), presumably as Ash Wednesday falls on the same date as Dydd Dewi Sant this year.

I've heard, though, that he's still commemorated today in the Church in Wales lectionary.

Can anyone tell me what the rules are when Saints' Days and what-not fall on the same date as a moveable feast or fast such as the Easter cycle?

Posted by Basilica (# 16965) on :

In the Church of England, St David's day is a Lesser Festival. From the Church of England's "Rules to Order the Christian Year" :

quote:
When a Lesser Festival falls on a Principal Feast or Holy Day, on a Festival, on a Sunday, or on weekdays between Palm Sunday and the Second Sunday of Easter, its celebration is normally omitted for that year
Because Ash Wednesday (a Principal Holy Day) falls on 1 March this year, St David's day is not celebrated. (It may be celebrated "at the discretion of the minister" on another available day.)

Principal Feasts displace the Sunday (except the Annunciation, as it always falls on Sundays of Lent or Easter). Festivals are transferred to the next available weekday.

Things are slightly different in the Church in Wales. The biggest difference in this context is that St David's day is more important, because he is patron of Wales. In the Church in Wales, feasts are ranked between I and V. Ash Wednesday is a Class I day; St David's day is a Class II day. (These are the approximate equivalents of Principal Holy Days and Festivals in the CofE.)

Because Ash Wednesday is a higher rank, it is kept on 1 March. Because St David's day is a Class II feast, it must also be kept. The Church in Wales's rules state that "[days] in group II which are moved may be celebrated on any convenient day before the next Sunday".

It's a bit complex, but makes decent sense in the end.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Dyed Dewi Sant hapus, Gamaliel
At the Ash Wednesday service this morning, we had the collect for Ash Wednesday but also the collect for St. David's day

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

RCs are the same - St David is on Tuesday in Wales and disappears in England.

Posted by Stephen (# 40) on :

Well according to the 1984 BCP St.David is moved to Thursday - the same for Mathias if applicable
However we moved it to Tuesday so I think the new(ish) lectionary provides for that and I think we use the RCL

We had a said Welsh Eucharist on St.David's Day ( moved to Tuesday!) and a Choral Eucharist with Imposition of Ashes on Ash Wednesday this evening

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

Diolch!

Thanks folks, that's all very helpful.

Posted by The Scrumpmeister (# 5638) on :

In our calendar, St David remains on the 1st of March this year, alongside Ash Wednesday. But then our calendar is compiled with France rather than the British Isles in mind, so St David is a lesser commemoration and not considered of sufficient significance to warrant a transfer to ensure that he is celebrated.

© Ship of Fools 2016