Thread: Scottish Episcopal Church Decision (aka Yes!) Board: Dead Horses / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000708

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

Just reporting that the Scottish Episcopal Church has voted to allow those clergy who wish to be nominated to do so to conduct marriages for couples of the same sex.

I may be a little pleased on behalf of my friends whose marriage could only be blessed a couple of years ago.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Good! Well done, you Piskies...
[Overused]

Link?

And will the SEC have to produce a new liturgy for same-sex marriages?

IJ

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Found it on BBC news, of course:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40190204

Piskies, there may well be some business coming your way from south of the Border!

IJ

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

Well done, the Piskies. Hopefully we can join you in a couple of years' time.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Praise God from whom all blessings flow

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Well done Scotland!

I've already heard from two couples who are hoping to have a church wedding north of the border - better crack-out the morning suit in readiness [Yipee]

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

Gretna is the traditional destination for couples unable to marry south of the border, I believe.

[Axe murder]

[ 09. June 2017, 09:46: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posted by Net Spinster (# 16058) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Gretna is the traditional destination for couples unable to marry south of the border, I believe.

[Axe murder]

But those would have been non-church weddings back in the day.

There is a Piskie church in Gretna, All Saints, Gretna. However it is up to the local minister/church whether to have marriages where both partners are the same sex.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

What sort of legal preliminaries - residence in the parish, banns etc. - would be necessary?

Perhaps it's not as straightforward as people think for (any) English couple to quickly get married in Scotland.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

You don't need to reside in the parish to marry in Scotland. [Smile]

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

Couples have to give a minimum of twenty-nine days notice, so a very quick wedding isn't possible.

More details here.

Posted by stonespring (# 15530) on :

Now that Anglican in-church same sex marriage is on the shores of the British Isles (and this American is totally in favor of that!) what does this mean for the Anglican Communion? Does it mean that schism or the end of the Communion as we know it is even more inevitable?

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Couples have to give a minimum of twenty-nine days notice, so a very quick wedding isn't possible.

More details here.

I like the "Immediately after the ceremony, the Schedule must be signed in black fountain pen by both parties, by the person performing the marriage and by the two witnesses."

How often are fountain pens still required for official documents? What happens if a ball point pen is used. Or blue ink?

I checked what the denomination might require beyond the registrar. It seems consent of the priest but no requirements on being members, etc.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

Originally posted by Net Spinster:
quote:
I like the "Immediately after the ceremony, the Schedule must be signed in black fountain pen by both parties, by the person performing the marriage and by the two witnesses."

How often are fountain pens still required for official documents? What happens if a ball point pen is used. Or blue ink?

The idea of the black ink is permanency. It is a pretty normal requirement here that documents intended to have a long life - eg memoranda of transfer, changes of name, marriage certificates - be signed in black, but black biro is acceptable. Blue is supposed to fade.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

I've often wondered if, in Queen Victoria's time, a Civil Servant procured a vast quantity of permanent black ink (perhaps he wrote "gallons" on the order form rather than "fluid ounces") and that, ever since, there has been a desire to use it up.

In England, at least, you are supposed to use this horrible "special ink" - ordinary permanent black ink isn't considered good enough.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

The special ink is oak gall and iron, blue-black which turns black when it oxidises and also that oxidation reaction bonds the ink with the cellulose of the paper. That's what it's used as registrars' ink.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

These days I believe the requirement of black ink on official documents is because blue ink often doesn't show up when photocopied.

I was somewhat thinking of the Lord of the Rings where the witnesses to Bilbo's will signed with red ink when I mentioned blue ink.

Going back on topic, I see the Bishop of Maidstone has decided he is no longer in communion with the Scottish Episcopal church and won't attend most meetings including them; "I will no longer be able to accept invitations to Christian meetings where bishops of the SEC are actively participating, unless their broken communion is recognized in the arrangement". So when is the next Lambeth conference and who is going to get invited?

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Be fair to the Bishop of Maidstone. After all, it involves far fewer people for Rod Thomas to decide he isn't in communion with the Piskies than for all of us - Piskies and others - to have to waste our time with a formal declaration that we consider him beyond the pale and thus are not in communion with him.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The special ink is oak gall and iron, blue-black which turns black when it oxidises and also that oxidation reaction bonds the ink with the cellulose of the paper. That's what it's used as registrars' ink.

Fun Fact: Model T's, after the production line was introduced, were only available in black because it was the only colour which dried fast enough to keep up.
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
These days I believe the requirement of black ink on official documents is because blue ink often doesn't show up when photocopied.

This is no longer true. Modern copiers will handle just about any colour.

© Ship of Fools 2016