homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Best Pound Shop buys

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Best Pound Shop buys
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many retailers are suffering in these straitened times but £ shops are a success. What's your best buy for a quid? Mine is reading glasses. I left home today with no reading glasses in my bag but popped into a pound shop and bought two entirely acceptable pairs of specs at £1 each. Not only do they do they do the job but they look OK too.

I also bought 4 packs of ground coffee and a jar of Cadbury's drinking chocolate (low calorie).

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the tools in poundshops are cr@p, being made of monkey metal (a zinc + monkey turd alloy) but ours stocks UHU glue which isn't the normal UK formula but does a darned good job at a third the price in B & Q.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slitghly off-topic - but Lidl own-brand bread flour at 52p for 1.5kg rises as well as branded stuff at 3x the price. So my quid goes on nearly 3kg of bread flour...

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always buy the packs of 'handbag' sized tissues - you can often get 18 for £1 and they aren't too scratchy!

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The US equivalent are dollar stores. I frequently find useful objects there. Before Christmas I found a gizmo for opening all kinds of plastic packaging.

I bought one for myself and several for stocking-stuffers.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
The US equivalent are dollar stores. I frequently find useful objects there. Before Christmas I found a gizmo for opening all kinds of plastic packaging.

I bought one for myself and several for stocking-stuffers.

Moo

Jay Leno on The Tonight Show sometimes does a Christmas bit on doing shopping with $10 at Dollar Stores. They often come up with a pretty good haul. And I've done shopping at Big Lots! where stuff is usually at least half the price of regular stores.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter has a part-time job in a pound store, and is amazed how often customers ask her the price of an item.

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We call them $2 shops in Australia.

They are the backbone of Sunday school and playgroup organisers, being a good source of cheap craft materials. I visit most weeks!

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jigsaw:
My daughter has a part-time job in a pound store, and is amazed how often customers ask her the price of an item.

Am i correct in assuming from that statement that everything costs a pound? US dollar stores started out charging a dollar for every item or group of items. But that is no longer the case -- at least at Family Dollar, a chain of dollar stores where i live. Items are cheap , but there is no one particular fixed price.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always buy wrapping paper at $ stores, that and craft stuff for grandchildren.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
The US equivalent are dollar stores.

There are also Euro stores. (Last one I was in was in Donegal).

Stationery. I have an entire shelf of blank notebooks with pretty covers, but this does not stop me buying more. And pens of course, with which to never actually write in the pretty notebooks.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes stationery! pretty notebooks and stuff. You can save a fortune. Also shampoo, shower gel, deoderants etc, and cleaning products. I ought to go more often instead of buying these things in the supermarket.

Apparently Poundland's biggest sellers are chocolate; large Toblerones, boxes of Maltesers and multi-packs of Kit-Kats.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly tangential, at the moment Sainsburys are charging only 8p a tin for their basic mushy peas.

IMHO some of the "basic" items are better than the next grade up. Both the higher grades of coleslaw and toffees are too sweet. On the other hand, I once tried a basic tinned stew that was revolting.

Some of the basic fish items, I think are because the fish itself is the wrong size, half way between one portion and two, or three quarters of a portion.

I assume they want to shame us into not being seen with the bright orange and white labels in our trolleys. I reckon though one should wheel them with pride.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most recent best £ shop buy was a sparkly pink/purple cowgirl hat
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
I left home today with no reading glasses in my bag but popped into a pound shop and bought two entirely acceptable pairs of specs at £1 each. Not only do they do they do the job but they look OK too.

Our libraries have a few pairs on hand for borrowers aho forget their specs. So useful for the absent minded - who? me? of course not.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After Hurricane Katrina hit, a group from Blacksburg collected toiletries--toothbrushes, deodorant, etc. to take to them.

I wanted to get the most bang for my buck, so I went to the dollar store and could afford to buy quantities of stuff.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:

Wow! If I'm ever in need of a sparkly cowgirl hat I know where to go. Checking out the other things on that link I can see lots of useful church stuff - 4 tablecloths, disposable or wipe-clean, 30 (yes 30 [Eek!] ) printed doilies, disposable plates, cups and wine glasses, and wrapping paper, gift bags, balloons and party masks.

One thing I saw when I was buying my reading glasses was a 3-for-a-pound offer on boxes of 6 eggs. If I had several children to feed on a low income 18 eggs for a pound would be a really good buy.

I'm not surprised Poundland's best-selling items are chocolate. In a recession the sales of confectionery rise. This is because people can't afford expensive treats but they still want treats and especially want to give treats to their children.

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Slightly tangential, at the moment Sainsburys are charging only 8p a tin for their basic mushy peas.
Enoch, if you ever visit the North, you must drop in.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Circular plastic tea trays, 14" diameter, in dark green, and costing only 50pence each.
They have been sitting under the big plant pots on my patio for several years now, and cost about 1/5 of the price being charged for 'proper' plant pot saucers in the DIY stores

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]One thing I saw when I was buying my reading glasses was a 3-for-a-pound offer on boxes of 6 eggs. If I had several children to feed on a low income 18 eggs for a pound would be a really good buy.

Cheap eggs are never a good thing. Most likely, they're from appalling battery farms in Spain. If you really need to save money, do so on something else.

Caveat case:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1232196/Spanish-eggs-blamed-salmonella-deaths.html

[ 20. April 2012, 22:33: Message edited by: kankucho ]

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

I didn't look closely enough to see any country of origin but I'm guessing they were probably British. I buy mostly organic eggs, milk and cheese since I'm only shopping for myself these days. If I had a family to feed and not much money I wouldn't be so fussy, I'd be glad of a bargain and would probably have bought them. Anyway I've sent a query to Poundland about their sales of fresh eggs.
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We generally avoid our local dollar stores because of their CCC -- Cheap Crap From China; particularly their questionable canned foods. Sometimes,though, their brand-name cleaning supplies are cheaper than at neighboring stores. I also made what I thought was a pretty decent looking Advent wreath out of dollar-store votive candleholders and various bling, although my pleasure at the result was moderated by guilt at the thought of the eight-year-old factory workers who probably made the dollar-store stuff while chained to their stations.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never seen a store like this (or if I did I missed the point) but our crafts stores in the cities have sections like that. for Chasee#3's 10th birthday we did a Harry Potter bash (my actor friends showed up as various characters. being in a troupe has it's bennies). I went into a craft store to find little tote bags for the treasure hunt, but also made off with a shit ton of very nice little oddly shaped glass bottles with cork stoppers than we used for our "potions" class. after the party (and cleaning those bad boys was no treat!) I now use them to hold my homemade cough syrup or little samples of liqueurs or random kitcheny things like peppercorns and cloves and cardamom seeds. they kind of class up the place.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

I've heard back from Poundland re the eggs query. They said this:

quote:
I have spoken to our buying department who have confirmed that we only sell British Lion Assured eggs, these are higher than the "minimum standard of egg" and allows us to trace to the individual farm where the eggs have been laid, this also ensures all chickens are checked a minimum of 4 times a day.

All hens are fully vaccinated from birth and all of our eggs are picked, packed and dispatched to our stores within two days, this means a more reliable fresher egg with consistency & quality.

The British Lion quality standard is higher than required by the E.U. All eggs are marked with the British Lion and registered site number, as required under the new traceability legislation.

We use some of the largest and most reputable suppliers in the egg industry (who supply to the likes of Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys, Morrisons) and can assure you our eggs are fit for purpose and we are not breaking any laws in selling them.

We hope this has answered any concerns you may have.

Kind Regards
Rachel
Customer Relations
Poundland Limited

[ 23. April 2012, 14:49: Message edited by: justlooking ]

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:

Wow! If I'm ever in need of a sparkly cowgirl hat I know where to go.
I only need it this weekend so check on ebay after then [Big Grin]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only encountered one Euro store, and it had a sign announcing
quote:

Nothing over 180 Forints

My favorite purchases from the local version:

Tape measures. (I'm only interested in the spring steel blade for other purposes.)

Cleaning supplies, when I only need a small amount. (Especially bleach to kill bacteria in our well.)

Plastic spring clothes pegs.

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a set of four wine glasses (a good size too [Big Grin] ) from Wilkinson's for 87p. This was on the same occasion when I managed to buy one of their display Christmas trees, including tinsel and decorations, for £10 - it was about two days before Christmas and most normal people had already bought their tree, so they wanted to get rid of it.

Most of the big supermarkets do a 'value' or 'dead cheap' packet of smoked salmon trimmings for about 96p. Exactly right for putting in creamy pastas ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
Tape measures. (I'm only interested in the spring steel blade for other purposes.)

Dare I ask?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wrapping paper and cellophane which is much cheaper than any where else. Several different colours covers most needs. Mum used to buy their packs of different cards but I don't like them much.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Birthday cards for grandchildren. The quality is not as high as cards bought elsewhere, but the kids don't notice.

My favorite brand of hand-washing liquid (Jergens), which for some reason is hard to find elsewhere.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love pound shops (and 99p shops). I like them especially for stationery, greetings cards, woolly hats, hair clips and chocolate! Occasionally Poundland has some good books - I recently bought one on how to make cupcakes. Yesterday I bought a kitchen timer from the 99p shop, an item with many uses other than cooking. Pound shops can also be good for toiletries, but you have to be careful; some things can be bought cheaper elsewhere, especially if you're not too fussy about the brands.

In the near future I intend to buy a £1 roll-up rucksack and zip-up CD/DVD holder from Poundworld for when I go travelling again.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friends and I get our gift bags there. Especially if you have something large, spending $1 is so much better than $5.99!

We've gotten very nice picture frames there, too.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That's actually not a stupid question at all, because IME some pound shops are 'everything for a pound', whereas others are 'everything a pound or less'.

There's also a shop in Liverpool that has the tagline 'everything from £1', which would seem to be the most meaningless and pointless claim it's possible to compose ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And then there's Poundstretcher which is not a pound store but a discount store.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What's your best buy...? Mine is reading glasses. [/QB]
Us too - my wife bought me four pairs last time she went into a $ store.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Dare I ask?
I don't know, do you dare?

It is safe for the giraffe, at least.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Dare I ask?
I don't know, do you dare?

It is safe for the giraffe, at least.

But does it involve cheap gin?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
sllc
Shipmate
# 12707

- Posted      Profile for sllc   Email sllc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
quote:

Am i correct in assuming from that statement that everything costs a pound? US dollar stores started out charging a dollar for every item or group of items. But that is no longer the case -- at least at Family Dollar, a chain of dollar stores where i live. Items are cheap , but there is no one particular fixed price.
No, they are talking about such store as Dollar Tree, Dollar Stop etc. We have Dollar Tree here in Atlanta. I always buy batteries there. Can't beat their price.
Posts: 179 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016