Thread: Israel and the land Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=023077

Posted by Ender's Shadow (# 2272) on :

In a previous thread we had:
quote:
Originally posted by the long ranger:
The Theology of the Land is that when enough Jews live in the land roughly (and inaccurately) called The Holy Land, Jesus Christ will come and rule over all the world and all the Jews will accept him as the messiah.

Thank - I've never heard it expressed like that, and it's certainly not my understanding of what the prophecies are getting at. What's clear to me is:

1) God promised the land to Abraham and his descendants through Isaac and Jacob

2) This promise is unconditional

3) God has prophesied the return of many to the land before the Parousia.

Therefore:

1) The return of Jews to control of the land is an indicator that the Parousia is significantly closer - we could have been sure that it wouldn't have happened before then

2) Actively opposing the presence of the Jewish people in the land is to oppose the revealed will of God

Which - before anyone complains - doesn't mean that Israel has the right to do whatever it likes in the land, but it does create a presumption in favour of Israel, and certainly makes support for a Palestinian 'right of return' - which would end the Jewish nature of the state - a mistake.

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

[Roll Eyes]

Well, how the long ranger expresses it is indeed the view of some, particularly US fundamentalists. I'll grant that it's not the dominant view among most UK evangelicals.

I must admit, though, that whenever this topic comes up my initial reaction is [Snore]

Why? Because it's a gigantic red-herring.

The state of Israel, for better or worse, exists. I, for one, wouldn't want to see it snuffed out or invaded by some of its nastier neighbours, such as Syria. But I also wish the religious right wouldn't give it such uncritical support and set eschatological timetables by the whole thing.

I'd much rather see people devote their efforts to brokering some kind, any kind, of peace-deal, rapprochement between Israel and the Palestinians.

Clinging on to arcane fantasies based on over-literal interpretations dreamt up by 19th century crack-pots and theological light-weights doesn't do anyone any good.

Posted by the long ranger (# 17109) on :

Well I can't really enter this conversation given that I don't hold a Theology of the Land.

I don't believe that God promises land to any one tribe, people or country. So the idea that you can use some theological or distant historical promise as a reason to turf people out of their homes is utter nonsense. Indeed, there is a very real danger of hatred and racism wherever this happens - see Bosnia for another very dangerous Theology of the Land.

As a Christian, I don't believe that there is any holy land as I don't believe there are any nations or tribes or peoples before God. If I believe that God is everywhere, he is as much 'in the land' where I store my garbage as in the sad old piles of stones in Old Jerusalem.

We invest religious meaning in places which is entirely unfounded and unnecessary. We then build all kinds of spurious theological structures - without properly taking account that a Theology of the Land is entirely the opposite of the Kingdom of Heaven that Jesus Christ said he was bringing in.

Posted by Zach82 (# 3208) on :

But the Jews were already given what they were promised, and the whole world with them- Jesus Christ. This "theology of the land" in a Christian context is all hokum.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
What's clear to me is:

I think you can only say that's "clear" if you adopt a very uncritical approach. What's clear to me is that people who were settled in the Land alleged that the land had been promised by God to their forebears. And they had the recently edited written condensation of a number of oral traditions to prove it.

Posted by Steve H (# 17102) on :

Modern Israel and the occupied territories were stolen from the previous inhabitants, who now live as refugees or second-class citizens. No amount of specious exegesis or dodgy theology can make that right.

Posted by Mockingale (# 16599) on :

quote:
quote:
The Theology of the Land is that when enough Jews live in the land roughly (and inaccurately) called The Holy Land, Jesus Christ will come and rule over all the world and all the Jews will accept him as the messiah.

Thank - I've never heard it expressed like that, and it's certainly not my understanding of what the prophecies are getting at. What's clear to me is:

I've never even heard of the "Theology of the Land," but then again my tradition is not much for apocalyptic thinking.

Even if we accept that the State of Israel fulfills some biblical prophecy, and even though I won't argue with you that Jewish and Christian tradition hold that the territory of modern Israel is (part of) the land promised by God to the Jews, I'm not going to use biblical language to turn a blind eye to violations of human rights. Doing so is intellectually lazy and ethically repugnant.

Nor should it give the nation of Israel carte blanche to annex other lands to which it claims to be entitled by God's covenant. They don't get to march into Egypt, Jordan, Syria and Iraq just to "reclaim what's theirs."

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

quote:

How is 'descendant of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob' defined? AIUI, both Jews and modern Palestinians are equally the genetic descendants of the people who lived in Palestine in, say, the first century AD.

Does 'Theology of the Land' mean that Palestinian Arabs are just as entitled to 'own' Palestine as the Jews?

Posted by Mudfrog (# 8116) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:

How is 'descendant of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob' defined? AIUI, both Jews and modern Palestinians are equally the genetic descendants of the people who lived in Palestine in, say, the first century AD.

Does 'Theology of the Land' mean that Palestinian Arabs are just as entitled to 'own' Palestine as the Jews?

No, because you also have to factor in 2 things:

1) Isaac is the son of promise - NOT Ishmael, as the Qu'ran wrongly has it.

2) The Exodus to the Promised Land was under the Mosaic covenant revealed by YHWH to the children of Jacob/Israel, again, NOT the sons of Ishmael.

[ 17. May 2012, 14:25: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

Are you saying that:

1.) the people living in modern Palestine are not genetically descended from the people living in first-century Palestine,

or

2.) the people living in first-century Palestine were descendants of Ishmael, not Isaac?

One ridiculous thing about this whole argument is that it ignores the presence of Arab Christians in the land.

And this whole 'my bible says x and the koran says y therefore I am right and you are wrong' is part of the problem.

quote:
One ridiculous thing about this whole argument is that it ignores the presence of Arab Christians in the land.

And this whole 'my bible says x and the koran says y therefore I am right and you are wrong' is part of the problem.

And that's not even remotely the most ridiculous part of the argument.

"Aw, gee, sorry that we cut off the water supply to your village in order to construct this swimming pool, and you can't visit your father in the hospital because there's a giant wall in the way and we won't give you a pass, but God gave us the land 3000 years ago. Says so right here in the Bible."

Posted by TurquoiseTastic (# 8978) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
But the Jews were already given what they were promised, and the whole world with them- Jesus Christ. This "theology of the land" in a Christian context is all hokum.

[Overused] This. The whole problem with such a theology is that it suggests there is some fulfilment of God's promises other than in Jesus. Which should be a big red flag right away.

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

Yep. The whole argument rests on a materialistic interpretation of the 'land' and the 'promise'. It is IMO a spiritual reality: the Church is the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and we are both 'now' and 'not yet' living in the land.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Christianity has spiritualised away 'the land' but the biblical references to it are only really capable of a materialist interpretation.

Posted by Trickydicky (# 16550) on :

Steve H. What he said.

Some of this 'let's fill Israel with Jews' stiff seems to be saying 'let's force God's hand'.

Basic concepts like, well, justice and fairness seem to be missed. the Palestinians and Jews are not perfect. they're just human beings, making a mess of it. like we all do. I am more sympathetic to the Palestinians (having been there) simply because the injustices they face are much greater.

Posted by no_prophet (# 15560) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Steve H:
Modern Israel and the occupied territories were stolen from the previous inhabitants, who now live as refugees or second-class citizens. No amount of specious exegesis or dodgy theology can make that right.

You forget the United Nations role in this. And the separation of the other major part of Palestine from what is Israel today. That is Jordan. Palestine = Israel + Jordan + a few little bits of other modern countries. It becomes complicated when we remember that Jordan had annexed the West Bank before Israel did.

I can't recall the term, but there is a concept of acceptance of boundaries between countries, essentially to accept the facts on the ground and to quit fighting over them. There are many examples in parallel.

This is sort of the case with Greece and Turkey since the expulsions of Greeks from Anatolia in the 1920s, and Turks from what is now Greece.

It is also the case more clearly with the expulsion of Loyalists from New York state in the USA in the 1780s with the expropriation of their lands - I actually know the specific land taken from my family.

We have the annexation of Mexican lands in the 1830s by the USA, and the right of return seems to be exercised informally by Hispanic immigrants. Hawaii is another example. The Philippines managed to avoid planned annexation. We could talk more generally of the dispossession of the First Nations in North America by the French then English, and then by my country of Canada.

Yes, the Jews are special because of the OT, and because of religion. But the actual facts of borders, people being dispossessed, and fairness are pretty common. The discussion probably becomes unresolvable if there is not acceptance that at least some of the Palestinians are going to be permanent losers of land, homes, farms, etc., regardless of their lengthy claims to them. Just like all those in history who've been similarly overcome by another country or power.

There is very little argument over the 1967 borders (the so-called 'green line'). But there is a lot of Israel outside of the 1967 green line, including East Jerusalem and the occupied West Bank - which are internationally accepted to be occupied land.

I'm not sure this is relevant to the point about the Theology of the Land in its general sense, because one could probably argue that 'God gave' the Jews land on both sides of the Jordan.

quote:
Originally posted by no_prophet:
quote:

You forget the United Nations role in this. And the separation of the other major part of Palestine from what is Israel today. That is Jordan. Palestine = Israel + Jordan + a few little bits of other modern countries. It becomes complicated when we remember that Jordan had annexed the West Bank before Israel did.

I can't recall the term, but there is a concept of acceptance of boundaries between countries, essentially to accept the facts on the ground and to quit fighting over them. There are many examples in parallel.

This is sort of the case with Greece and Turkey since the expulsions of Greeks from Anatolia in the 1920s, and Turks from what is now Greece.

It is also the case more clearly with the expulsion of Loyalists from New York state in the USA in the 1780s with the expropriation of their lands - I actually know the specific land taken from my family.

We have the annexation of Mexican lands in the 1830s by the USA, and the right of return seems to be exercised informally by Hispanic immigrants. Hawaii is another example. The Philippines managed to avoid planned annexation. We could talk more generally of the dispossession of the First Nations in North America by the French then English, and then by my country of Canada.

Yes, the Jews are special because of the OT, and because of religion. But the actual facts of borders, people being dispossessed, and fairness are pretty common. The discussion probably becomes unresolvable if there is not acceptance that at least some of the Palestinians are going to be permanent losers of land, homes, farms, etc., regardless of their lengthy claims to them. Just like all those in history who've been similarly overcome by another country or power.

What's uncomplicated now is that the government of Israel, while paying lip-service toward a two-state solution, routinely winks at land theft from Palestinians. Not in an abstract "This was once the Palestinian/Transjordan Mandate and now it's Israel" sense - in the "Ali's family has lived in this village for 10 generations and the settlers bulldozed his village, including his house, to build a Jews-only subdivision" sense.

You can't justify that with "that's what theology says" or "We did it 100 years ago to the Mexicans who did it to the Aztecs who did it to the etc. etc. etc." or "Arabs have done bad stuff too." If the activity of the settlers doesn't bother you, there's something deeply wrong with your moral compass.

quote:
Originally posted by Mockingale:
]What's uncomplicated now is that the government of Israel, while paying lip-service toward a two-state solution, routinely winks at land theft from Palestinians. Not in an abstract "This was once the Palestinian/Transjordan Mandate and now it's Israel" sense - in the "Ali's family has lived in this village for 10 generations and the settlers bulldozed his village, including his house, to build a Jews-only subdivision" sense.

You can't justify that with "that's what theology says" or "We did it 100 years ago to the Mexicans who did it to the Aztecs who did it to the etc. etc. etc." or "Arabs have done bad stuff too." If the activity of the settlers doesn't bother you, there's something deeply wrong with your moral compass.

Ignoring the comments about my internal moral navigational equipment.

The activity of all parties bothers me, though I have a little more emphasis on the legitimacy of the country of Israel than you may. I have noted that (this may or may not be you) many who talk about the post-1967 war annexations of territory are also soft on the pre-1967 borders, and press the issue that Palestinians (who are are not the same as Arabs) have also been dispossessed within the borders of the UN sanctioned state of Israel.

I have difficulty with what appears to be a concern for the Palestinians that is not also expressed for the Jews. I find it imbalanced in general (again this is a general comment, not directed at anyone specific). I think the only solution will be for the acceptance that Jordan is Palestine, and for both Israel and Jordan to contribute territory to a Palestinian state. All countries must agree to the borders. No sensible government would unilaterally renounce its best bargaining tool without that at minimum. Thus, until the hostile nations that surround Israel agree, it won't go. The alternative is to have Palestinians inhabit a variety of countries, much as the Kurds do.

Posted by FooloftheShip (# 15579) on :

Concern for the Palestinians is usually expressed by hand-wringing or the application of small amounts of explosive. Concern for the Israelis with nuclear bombs and tanks. Oh and vetoes of anything other than unconditional praise in any international tribunal with teeth.

Address that imbalance and I might just start caring about the theoretical legitimacy of Israel.

I am no anti-Semite, but I am a fervent anti-Zionist. God loves all of his creation equally: that is the primary datum, nothing else.

@no_prophet - a pretty stupid suggestion, albeit one that isn't entirely novel.
The truth is that several million Palestinians live in historic Palestine and there are several more in the diaspora. You can't just impose a country upon them and think the problem will just go away. They are never, ever going to agree to lands which they have owned for generations being taken. In fact, the presence of Israel (which was created, let us not forget) by literally destroying existing villages) has made the inhabitants of East Jerusalem and the West Bank even less likely to agree to any peace settlement that involves a further permanent loss of land.

As I said, everyone agrees to a negotiation based on the 1967 borders with agreement on Jerusalem and the refugees. Even Israel agrees that these are the substantive issues, yet refuses to actually implement it. In a sense, that is entirely understandable, because any peace plan would involve Israel giving up land and dismantling the settlements. There is no political will to do this when there is such a massive religio-political constituency in the USA which supports the expansion of Israel at the expense of the Palestinians.

For information, there are four sets of Palestinians inside the historic Palestine. First there are the Arab citizens of Israel who decided to throw their lot in with the Israeli state. Second there are the residents of East Jerusalem - who remain inside Jerusalem but have no national status because they refuse to participate with the occupying power in the disputed territories. Third there are the West Bank Palestinians - some still live in their historic villages, but some are refugees from other part of 1967 Israel. Finally there are the Gazan Palestinians who are largely descended from the refugees from the rest of Israel.

Immediately outside of historic Palestine there are a lot more refugees living in camps in Syria, Lebanon and Jordan. Many of these came from villages inside 1967 Israel.

They're all Arabs.

I agree. But when there are no reasonable suggestions, everything is stupid. The problems go back generations, and will continue for generations.

After discussions like this, I always end up with useless platitudes, like "I'm the side of the children, the ones that all the adults will step on so they can throttle the other group" and "pox on both their houses". We might as well hope for space aliens to come and impose a settlement, or the second coming.

quote:
quote:
]What's uncomplicated now is that the government of Israel, while paying lip-service toward a two-state solution, routinely winks at land theft from Palestinians. Not in an abstract "This was once the Palestinian/Transjordan Mandate and now it's Israel" sense - in the "Ali's family has lived in this village for 10 generations and the settlers bulldozed his village, including his house, to build a Jews-only subdivision" sense.

The activity of all parties bothers me, though I have a little more emphasis on the legitimacy of the country of Israel than you may. I have noted that (this may or may not be you) many who talk about the post-1967 war annexations of territory are also soft on the pre-1967 borders, and press the issue that Palestinians (who are are not the same as Arabs) have also been dispossessed within the borders of the UN sanctioned state of Israel.
Pardon my French, but that's horseshit. The first refuge of scoundrels on the pro-settler side in these arguments is to equate any criticism of Israeli policies or the actions of the settlers with anti-semitism and "denial of Israel's right to exist."

Nothing can be further from the truth, and I don't give a dog's balls about your anecdotes about other critics of the settlements and their supposed "softness" on the question of the pre-1967 borders.

Posted by chris stiles (# 12641) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Christianity has spiritualised away 'the land' but the biblical references to it are only really capable of a materialist interpretation.

Only if you ignore chunks of the New Testament.

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:

Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. Colossians 3:11

Just a start.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

quote:
quote:

3) God has prophesied the return of many to the land before the Parousia.

Therefore:

1) The return of Jews to control of the land is an indicator that the Parousia is significantly closer - we could have been sure that it wouldn't have happened before then

2) Actively opposing the presence of the Jewish people in the land is to oppose the revealed will of God

Which - before anyone complains - doesn't mean that Israel has the right to do whatever it likes in the land, but it does create a presumption in favour of Israel, and certainly makes support for a Palestinian 'right of return' - which would end the Jewish nature of the state - a mistake.

There are some serious logical slips and sideswipes occurring in here (and by saying this I don't mean to criticise you personally in your setting out of the logic).

Is the promise of the land a promise of exclusive ownership and possession?

Why does return to the land involve control of the land?

Why equate opposing Jewish domination with opposing Jewish presence (it's pretty rare to encounter, in the West at least, a positive assertion that Jews should actually leave)?

How would the presence of Palestinians affect the 'Jewish' nature of the State? First and foremost, people are Jewish, not abstract institutions.

I find "theology of the land" arguments unconvincing precisely because they are so simplistic and paper over all the cracks, or set up straw man opponents. The idea, for instance, that people are opposing a Jewish presence is nonsense if we're talking about people in the West who are opposing the current means by which Israel operates.

quote:
The first refuge of scoundrels on the pro-settler side in these arguments is to equate any criticism of Israeli policies or the actions of the settlers with anti-semitism and "denial of Israel's right to exist."

Indeed, and it irritates the heck out of me as well.

quote:
Pardon my French, but that's horseshit. The first refuge of scoundrels on the pro-settler side in these arguments is to equate any criticism of Israeli policies or the actions of the settlers with anti-semitism and "denial of Israel's right to exist."

Nothing can be further from the truth, and I don't give a dog's balls about your anecdotes about other critics of the settlements and their supposed "softness" on the question of the pre-1967 borders.

No. I won't pardon your french, being indirectly referenced as a scoundrel, nor at this time, your prior comment about my moral compass. Keep yourself civil, sir or madam, or take me to Hell. I think I have been patient enough now, and I ask you please to stop this.

I am neither pro nor against anyone. This is unsolvable problem and has been for many years. I refuse to side with either. I find that the tendency is in general to lean now toward pro-Palestinian. Nothing more. It was more pro-Israel in the past. We have very few of either group involved where I live, and I do not know personally anyone with significant stakes in the game. Perhaps naively, I have felt that there is something missing with a problem that has been in existence for so long.

The problem is that unless you base your argument on the accepted International Law and human rights, you are left resorting to cold and bland statements. Suggesting that several million people should be moved out from lands they have lived in for generations is not only a violation of international law, it implies that the people who live there have no rights or opinions worth listening to.

The situation is far from ideal, but the compromise has already been made by the Palestinians, in that they have consented (albeit by force) to the creation of Israel on their lands. Why should they compromise further based on the opinions of people thousands of miles away?

quote:
quote:
quote:

Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all. Colossians 3:11

Just a start.

And this is relevant to this debate how precisely? The claim of the Jews to the Land is based on the Old Testament, which is unambiguously based on the idea of a particular people chosen by God and given that particular piece of land.

Actually it is relevant, in that it abolished the right of Palestinian Christians to claim the status of Jews in order to claim a piece of the land. But given that most of them have left, leaving it mainly as Muslims who base their claim to the land on

a) force
b) descent from Ismail

who are at the core of the problem. Problem in the sense of providing a reason - sometimes abused - for the severe security measures that Israel has resorted to following the suicide attacks in the heart of her cities. As someone who visited prior to the first Intifada, before then there was easy access for all to all parts of the land. The present wall etc have occurred as a result of actions of [the leaders of] the Palestinians.

I have to admit this is on my list, along with the issue of homosexual practice, of doctrines which I wish weren't in the bible, as it would be far more comfortable to 'go with the flow'. But as someone who has this strange habit of expecting that when God makes a promise, He'll keep it, I have to extend that belief to His relations with the people of the Mosaic covenant as well. YMMV

Widening the historical perspective somewhat, it's also worth pointing out the example of the Germans expelled from Konigsberg, the Sudetenland and western Poland after WWII. This occurred at precisely the same time as the departure of many Arabs from within the pre-67 borders. At the same time about the same number of Jews came from Arab countries. There is no doubt that the Arab refugees could have been absorbed by the surrounding Arab countries in the same way as those expelled Germans were absorbed by Germany.

Sigh, this is where the Theology of the Land gets us: ethnic cleansing becomes a policy that is mandated by God. If it is a promise from God, it is a stupid, cruel, heartless, racist and horrible promise. Given I don't believe that God has favourites, and that he is not like that, I can only conclude that understanding is false.

There have been 70 years for the Palestinian refugees to be absorbed by surrounding countries, it hasn't happened yet, many are still living in unsuitable refugee camps.

Yes and no. Leaving to one side the issue of the extent to which the New Covenant fulfils and interprets the Old for the moment, the post-WWII population movements in Europe and inextricably linked to those of Israel-Palestine at the same time: I remember I think Robert Fisk interviewing an Arab family who had fled Haifa after 1949 and he discovered, after much digging, that their home had been occupied by Jewish survivors of the Holocaust who had been thrown out of their home in southern Poland by a Polish family who had been forced to leave Lvov/Lviv/Lwow in what had been eastern Poland but which was now western Ukraine to make way for a Ukrainian family who in turn had been forcibly relocated by Stalin from eastern Ukraine to make way for a Russian family...

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
Ender's Shadow: leaving it mainly as Muslims who base their claim to the land on

a) force
b) descent from Ismail

No, they claim it on the basis that they have lived there continuously for hundreds of years.

quote:
Given I don't believe that God has favourites,

Unfortunately that's what it says He DOES have:
quote:
6 For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession. 7 The Lord did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples. 8 But it was because the Lord loved you and kept the oath he swore to your ancestors that he brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt. 9 Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.
Deut 7:6-9
It's at this point my evangelical background comes out: I would argue strongly that either we take what the bible says seriously - in the sense of not running away from the bits we don't like - or we have to admit that we really don't know anything about God because the bible can't be trusted. In which case religion is
quote:
is just being nice. And a way of keepin' in touch with the neighbours.*
I really don't like this logic, and would much prefer it wasn't there, and do wish that Israel was more generous in its treatment of the West Bank Arabs etc etc, though of course it's only the bad news that we hear; when they get it right, it doesn't hit the headlines.

* The full quote from Terry Pratchett's 'Carpe Jugulum is:
quote:
Now if I'd seen him, really there, really alive, it'd be in me like a fever. If I thought there was some god who really did care two hoots about people, who watched them like a father and cared for them like a mother... well, you wouldn't catch me sayin' things like "There are two sides to every question" and "We must respect other people's beliefs". You wouldn't find me just being ge'rally nice in the hope that it would turn out right in the end, not if that flame was burning in me like an unforgiving sword. And I did say burnin' Mister Oats, 'cos that's what it'd be. You say that people don't burn folks anymore, but that's what true faith would mean, y'see? Sacrificin' your own life, one day at a time, to the flame, declarin' the truth of it, workin' for it, breathing the soul of it. THAT'S religion. Anything else... is just being nice. And a way of keepin' in touch with the neighbours.'

You can take it perfectly seriously without having to take it perfectly materialistically, and still be a GLE.

quote:
Ender's Shadow: Unfortunately that's what it says He DOES have:
What I do wonder: isn't there a nagging little thought in the back of evangelicals' minds that there's something wrong here?

Some idea that even if you believe that God has promised the land to this people, that you should also stop and ask yourselves: "What about the people who already lived there?"

Some threshold that when Israel trumps the human rights of these people enough, that it will start to make you think: "This should stop"?

Of course, you can try to explain everything away with perfect logic. But you only have to spend a couple of days in the region to see that This Isn't Right.

I can understand that this is a big choice to make. I see that it would mean adjusting your views of 'literacy' of the Bible, and then a lot of things will come crumbling down for you.

But somewhere, no matter how hard some people argue that these are Israel's 'rights', I'm guessing that there must be some seed of doubt in their minds too. That this isn't how God meant it to be.

Well, ES has already admitted that it bothers him, so you're kind of pushing at something of an open door, albeit perhaps one that needs some WD40 on the hinges [Big Grin]

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just a start.

And this is relevant to this debate how precisely? The claim of the Jews to the Land is based on the Old Testament, which is unambiguously based on the idea of a particular people chosen by God and given that particular piece of land.

The problem, ES, is that so many Christians seem ever so willing to back the Jews up on this. Are you restricting this theology of the land to the Jews, or to the numerous Christians (in the USA at least) who see the nation state of Israel as some kind of fulfilment?

Because if it's those Christians we're talking about, surely the New Testament has to come into it.

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

quote:
6 For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession. 7 The Lord did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples. 8 But it was because the Lord loved you and kept the oath he swore to your ancestors that he brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt. 9 Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.
I don't have time to post all the Bible passages, but you forget that this covenant was conditional upon Israel's obedience and faithfulness to God and his Law, which includes BTW caring for the alien and stranger in their midst.

Israel's attachment to the Land did not stop God sending them into exile as punishment for their disobedience. Yes, the Jews returned but they were still bound by the same covenantal stipulations.

[ 18. May 2012, 11:52: Message edited by: Anglican_Brat ]

quote:
It is relevant to this thread, where Christians are falling to using a theology of the land. From a purely objective point of view, the Old Testament claim is nothing so far as justice and international law is concerned. I have, furthermore, no interest in starting a debate about whose holy books are truer.

Yet the case in a Christian context is clear. "Christian Zionism" forgets to center all the promises of God on Jesus, as the New Testament does. The foundation of Jewish identity, indeed the foundation of all human identities, is nothing before the judgment of God revealed in Jesus Christ. "Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God." 1 Cor 7:19 "And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham." Matthew 3:9

quote:

I'd start somewhere else. The Deutronomic Covenant is a continuation of the Abrahamic Covenant. Who does the NT say the heirs of Abraham are, and what do they inherit?

quote:
No. I won't pardon your french, being indirectly referenced as a scoundrel, nor at this time, your prior comment about my moral compass. Keep yourself civil, sir or madam, or take me to Hell. I think I have been patient enough now, and I ask you please to stop this.

I didn't indirectly call you anything. You cast aspersions of antisemitism at me with no basis, and I will not stand for it. It's among the ugliest of epithets and does nothing to further a conversation that was, until then, in good faith.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

Originally posted by no_prophet
quote:
The alternative is to have Palestinians inhabit a variety of countries, much as the Kurds do
And how is that working out for the Kurds, BTW?
The only sensible solution is for the Israelis and Palestinians to share. Odds of that happening, not so good.

quote:
quote:

Jews mainly DO ignre the New testament. It has nothing to do with them, in their view. So they interpret THEIR scriptures differently from those Christians who have co-opted it into their religion and see fit to change its meaning.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Are you saying that:

1.) the people living in modern Palestine are not genetically descended from the people living in first-century Palestine,

or

2.) the people living in first-century Palestine were descendants of Ishmael, not Isaac?

No-one has answered this point yet. I suppose that is because its irrelevant to anti-Zionists and embarrassing to Zionists. But the "Arab Christians" of Palestine and Syria now are the spiritual and biological descendents of the Jewish Christians of the first few centuries. Just as much descended from Abraham and Isaac and King David as the Jews who did not become Christians.

(Of course we are all descended from Abraham and Isaac and King David at least a little bit, but Jews - and other Palestinians - are statistically likely to be more descended from them than most people are)

But saying that the state of Israel had or has the right to exclude Palestinians from their homes is exactly the same as saying htat theoy would have the right to exclude Peter and Andrew and James and John. And that would be a fulfilment of Jesus's words to the disciples:

quote:

They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the hour cometh, that whosoever killeth you shall think that he offereth service unto God.

[ 18. May 2012, 16:37: Message edited by: ken ]

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
But the "Arab Christians" of Palestine and Syria now are the spiritual and biological descendents of the Jewish Christians of the first few centuries. Just as much descended from Abraham and Isaac and King David as the Jews who did not become Christians.

I'll be honest, I've never heard that Palestinian Christians (or some of them) are ethnic Jewish descendants of the first Christians. Do you have something I can read about that?

I'd figured that they are ethnic Arabs who accepted Christ before the rise of Islam or in lieu of it, and this seems backed up by the fact that they speak Arabic and have Arabic family names (most Jews who remained in the Middle East during the rise of Islam adopted as vernacular a dialect of Arabic analogous to Yiddish, with Hebrew lettering).

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

quote:
quote:
But the "Arab Christians" of Palestine and Syria now are the spiritual and biological descendents of the Jewish Christians of the first few centuries. Just as much descended from Abraham and Isaac and King David as the Jews who did not become Christians.

I'll be honest, I've never heard that Palestinian Christians (or some of them) are ethnic Jewish descendants of the first Christians. Do you have something I can read about that?
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pretty much a fact that there is no genetic difference worth speaking about between the semitic peoples of the near east. It is, for the want of a better way of looking at it, simply a difference in hats.

It isn't exactly a new (nor, it seems an exact) science, but some geneticist claim that Palestinians and Jews share a genetic history. There was some hoo-ha a while back when an academic journal pulled an article with a similar sounding thesis.

There is a good written pedigree for some Palestinian families going back at least until the 7 century but I've never heard of Palestinian Christians being considered to be a distinct population within the Palestinian community. I very much doubt this is true.

Palestinians themselves say they are most closely related to Iraqis, though there must have been significant mixing of the populations in Syria, Lebanon and Jordan in the twentieth century, if not before.

I suspect the origins of the Palestinians are largely myth, but another popular belief (among some Palestinians at least) is that they are related to the ancient Philistines (hence the name - which in Arabic sounds much more similar).

I suspect the truth is that their history goes back to antiquity and is a mixture of Jewish, Saracen, pre-Islamic Bedouin and so on. When the Jews were scattered by the Saracens and then the chaos of the crusades, my guess it is impossible to say for sure who is related to whom.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
quote:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pretty much a fact that there is no genetic difference worth speaking about between the semitic peoples of the near east. It is, for the want of a better way of looking at it, simply a difference in hats.
I'm speaking more about ethnography. The English and the Irish are extremely similar in a genetic sense, but you can't ignore the fact that two branches of the same people have developed very distinct cultures to the point that they are ethnically distinct.

A genetic test may not be able to distinguish between an Ashkenazi Jew, a Middle Eastern Jew, an Arab and a Palestinian Christian, but there must be some ethnographic or historical studies suggesting a link between Palestinian Christian families and Christian Jews of the 1st century, as opposed to descent from other peoples like the Arabs or Samaritans. It would be interesting to read.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
quote:

These things go by populations not lineage of course, but in general, on the whole, the people of what you might call "Greater Syria" - that is Syria, Lebanon, Palestine/Israel, northern Iraq and a bit of south-central Turkey, and including the returned Jews in Israel - seem to be on average more closely related to each other than to either peninsular Arabs or to Europeans.

Which was not what I personally would have expected. I'd have imagined that the Ashkenazim were on average closer to Eastern or South-Eastern Europeans. (There are some threads on usenet from aboty twenty years agi with me saying that - in the Age of the Internet nothign is deniable)

Of course it all goes by populations, not lineages. Everyone is related to everyone else, more closely than most people suspect.

quote:
The English and the Irish are extremely similar in a genetic sense, but you can't ignore the fact that two branches of the same people have developed very distinct cultures to the point that they are ethnically distinct.

Not distinct, but different - there are plenty of people who participate in both cultures to some extent. Also not very different. We are more like each other in all sorts of ways than we are like, say, the French. Or possibly even the Americans.

quote:

...but there must be some ethnographic or historical studies suggesting a link between Palestinian Christian families and Christian Jews of the 1st century, as opposed to descent from other peoples like the Arabs or Samaritans. It would be interesting to read.

Hard to see how there could be. Ordinary people don't keep geneological records. Even kings and queens can rarely trace their ancestry back to ancient times. Its hard to see how semi-literate farmers would.

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

ken wrote:
quote:
We are more like each other in all sorts of ways than we are like, say, the French. Or possibly even the Americans.
A Czech colleague once pointed out to me that so far as most slavic commentators are concerned, the English and the French appear to be damn close to identical. Especially in the way they consider themselves so different. I'm just reporting the comment and have no particular views myself.

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
ken wrote:
quote:
We are more like each other in all sorts of ways than we are like, say, the French. Or possibly even the Americans.
A Czech colleague once pointed out to me that so far as most slavic commentators are concerned, the English and the French appear to be damn close to identical. Especially in the way they consider themselves so different. I'm just reporting the comment and have no particular views myself.
Oh yes. Its inter-relatedness all the way down.

Its possible for us Euro-Brits to irritate Australians and New Zealanders by finding them more similar than they do each other. Or Canadians and USAnians. Or indeed white and black Americans.

There is more and less foreign. The south East of England isn't foreign to me at all, its home. The north of England and Scothland are hardly at all foreighn - I've lived there, I have friends and family. Wales a bit foreigner than that to me, Ireland a bit foreigner than Wales. Then maybe Belgium. After that north Germany and Denmark are not very different. from us (On my very brief visit Denmark felt more like England to me than Germany did). France a little further away still - but still very near, especially the northern parts. Its not at all strange or odd that it should be like that. Ethnicity - culture and race and nationality - is not a binary thing, not either-or, you can be mostly one thing and at the same time a little bit another - most people probably are.

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

Yes, the point about degrees of foreignness is well made. I tend to get suspicious when it seems to take a forefront in the rhetoric. Which it sometimes does in the subject of the OP.

quote:
quote:
It is relevant to this thread, where Christians are falling to using a theology of the land. From a purely objective point of view, the Old Testament claim is nothing so far as justice and international law is concerned. I have, furthermore, no interest in starting a debate about whose holy books are truer.

Yet the case in a Christian context is clear. "Christian Zionism" forgets to center all the promises of God on Jesus, as the New Testament does. The foundation of Jewish identity, indeed the foundation of all human identities, is nothing before the judgment of God revealed in Jesus Christ. "Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God." 1 Cor 7:19 "And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham." Matthew 3:9

Listen to Zach, he is going great guns on this thread.

Paul famously addresses this topic in Romans. He says that Abraham's descendants are by faith (represented by Isaac) rather than by physical descent (represented by Ishmael). But the whole thrust of the argument is not that you have to be physically descended from Isaac - that would be to make the whole mistake over again! The inheritance is by faith - to both Jews and Gentiles - being a child of Abraham is not dependent on your physical descent. Paul even goes so far as to say "not all Israelites truly belong to Israel" (Romans 9:6).

ES, it should be remembered that many of the strongest critics of this sort of theology are conservative evangelicals. A friend who was at St. Helen's Bishopgate once said "This is one of the first things we're told not to believe!"

Zionism presents major problems for Jewish theology as well. The vindication of the Jewish people is supposed to be an act of God in the Messiah, not of a strong military and wise strategic alliances. "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the Lord our God."* "Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and stay on horses, and trust in chariots, because they are many; and in horsemen, because they are very strong; but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel, neither seek the Lord!"**

Too many supposedly learned Christians these days, "Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth,"*** rush to deny a Christian interpretation of the Old Testament without giving thought to why Christians came to interpret it the way they did.

*Psalm 20:7
**Isaiah 31:1
***2 Timothy 3:7

quote:
Zionism presents major problems for Jewish theology as well. The vindication of the Jewish people is supposed to be an act of God in the Messiah, not of a strong military and wise strategic alliances. "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the Lord our God."* "Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and stay on horses, and trust in chariots, because they are many; and in horsemen, because they are very strong; but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel, neither seek the Lord!"**

*Psalm 20:7
**Isaiah 31:1

Indeed - Neturei Karta are a Jewish group who deny the legitimacy of the state of Israel on those grounds. I don't think that works because if the return from Babylon was achieved without the intervention of the Messiah, it seems reasonable that this return will be as well.

quote:

Too many supposedly learned Christians these days, "Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth,"*** rush to deny a Christian interpretation of the Old Testament without giving thought to why Christians came to interpret it the way they did.

***2 Timothy 3:7

Yes, there's a long tradition in the church of trying to interpret OT passages as being about the church and 'spiritual' things - ever since Origen - when the natural interpretation is to see them as about visible realities. For me the fact that so many commentators - I've already quoted J C Ryle - predicted Israel's return and it has now happened, makes it seem the best interpretation of the relevant passages. On top of that, the sheer survival of Israel through the 1948 and 1973 wars is remarkable.

A further thought: given Paul's injunction - 'What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church?'*, the willingness of the church to get involved in condemning Israel is probably unwise, though this is a criticism that we all need to be aware of!

* 1 Cor 5:12

quote:

A further thought: given Paul's injunction - 'What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church?'*, the willingness of the church to get involved in condemning Israel is probably unwise, though this is a criticism that we all need to be aware of!

Do you apply those same rules to other nation states? Do you not permit yourself to criticise Italy or Burma or Australia or Iraq?

If not, then judge the state of Israel in the same terms as any other. Its perfectly possible to believe that it has the same right to exist as any other state, and to recognise that it is a state, a human political construct, something people made for their own purposes. (*)

Yes, they've got exactly the same moral and legal right to organise their government as anyone else has. Including Arabs. But it is just a government, just a state. No more (and no less) a God-given miracle than a county council or a football club or the United Nations or a political party or the EU or any other political arrangement people make for themselves. If it does wrong it doesn't get a free pass.

And less of "condemn". NO-one here is "condemning" Israel. If I condemn something I am consigning it to destruction. Wishing that it did not exist. I might say that I condemn the government of North Korea. (**) And by that I mean that the state of North Korea shoudl not exist. Its borders should be torn down, its laws abolished, its officials dismissed, its rulers jailed, its army disbanded and their weapons confiscated and destroyed, its land and buildings expropriated and given to someone else, its people (who are its victims) liberated and allowed to choose their own political future. (***)

But I don't say all that about Israel. And I don't think anyone who has posted on this thread yet does. A lot of people do but not us here, or not so far.

(*) And just as a state is something humans have made it is something that will one day be unmade, whether by its own citizens not having a use for it any more, or by being superseded by something else, or by being dismantled from outside, or bys some natural catastrophe. Just as some time in the future England will no longer exist, or the UK, or China, or Peru, or the USA, or any other nation or state or government.

(**) I guess I would have said that about Nazi Germany or Tsarist Russia had I been alive at the time. And I did about apartheid South Africa, and (to some extent) the Soviet Union and Iraq. And probably would now about Saudia Arabia. Which is not the same as saying that I want to see anyone atart a war against those places.

(***) Which is unlikely to be much of a choice in the only circumstances that that is likely to happen in in the near future which is that the place would either be occupied by a few million Chinese soldiers of have had most of its cities destroyed by American bombs. Or both. But there you are, history is contingent, we have to play the cards we're dealt.

quote:
Indeed - Neturei Karta are a Jewish group who deny the legitimacy of the state of Israel on those grounds. I don't think that works because if the return from Babylon was achieved without the intervention of the Messiah, it seems reasonable that this return will be as well.
Really? If the last return without the Messiah wasn't the ultimate vindication of the Jewish people and fulfillment of God's promises, then it seems more reasonable to believe that this return without the Messiah isn't the ultimate vindication of the Jewish people and fulfillment of God's promises either.

Of course, if you believe the Jewish people are saved apart from the Messiah given to everyone else, you are simply departing Christian belief altogether. There is no salvation outside of Jesus Christ. Full stop.

quote:
Yes, there's a long tradition in the church of trying to interpret OT passages as being about the church and 'spiritual' things - ever since Origen - when the natural interpretation is to see them as about visible realities.
Allegorical interpretation was not the only method the Church Fathers used to interpret the Holy Scriptures, and they were hardly the only ones to be using it anyway.

quote:
For me the fact that so many commentators - I've already quoted J C Ryle - predicted Israel's return and it has now happened, makes it seem the best interpretation of the relevant passages. On top of that, the sheer survival of Israel through the 1948 and 1973 wars is remarkable.
Take up the debate about biblical interpretation in the proper forum- but the final sentence here is the most egregious. The survival of Israel during the 1948 and 1973 wars is proof of the power of militarism, not faith. biblical promise is an example of the trend started in the theology of the land- a removal of faith in the power of God and of placing that faith in human endeavors.

The hope of Israel is the same hope as that given to the rest of the nations- Jesus Christ alone.

Missed the edit window...

"The survival of Israel during the 1948 and 1973 wars is proof of the power of militarism, not faith. It is an example of the same trend started in the theology of the land- a removal of faith in the power of God and of placing that faith in human endeavors."

Go Zach! Go Zach! [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

I'm with Zach and Ken.

Ender's Shadow is guilty of faulty exegesis and a highly selective approach that overlooks exegetical strands and emphases within his own evangelical tradition. He cherry picks those commentators and authors whose views most closely represent his own.

I will stop short of accusing him of having a wonky moral compass because of the injunction not to judge ... my own moral compass needs unwonkying too, no doubt.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Jews mainly DO ignre the New testament. It has nothing to do with them, in their view. So they interpret THEIR scriptures differently from those Christians who have co-opted it into their religion and see fit to change its meaning.
You are shifting ground here away from your original contention that it was 'only really capable of a materialist interpretation' (which is actually a specific materialist interpretation). I was also not aware you were Jewish.

Anyway, I believe in a materialist interpretation too - God has only one people, who are all grafted in as Abraham's heirs and who inherit not just what he was promised but more.

quote:
God has only one people, who are all grafted in as Abraham's heirs and who inherit not just what he was promised but more.

So you would argue that Jews AND Christians have a right to the land of Israel rather than Muslims? If that's not what you mean, your phrase is meaningless IMHO.

quote:
quote:
God has only one people, who are all grafted in as Abraham's heirs and who inherit not just what he was promised but more.

So you would argue that Jews AND Christians have a right to the land of Israel rather than Muslims? If that's not what you mean, your phrase is meaningless IMHO.
No no no no no

The physical land of Israel is a foreshadowing, a type, of the kingdom of God - God's people in God's land under God's king.

Now the type has been fulfilled.

God's people is the Church
God's land is the kingdom of God
God's king is Jesus Christ

There is no need (in theological terms) for anyone, Jew or Gentile, to keep on with an attachment to the physical land of Israel, any more than there is a need to keep performing animal sacrifices to take away sins.

The physical land of Israel is just the physical land of Israel and no-one has a particular "right" to it any more than, for example, New Zealand or Nunavut. Of course general moral principles apply, just as they do in New Zealand or Nunavut. And of course an Israeli or Palestinian might well be emotionally attached to the land as their homeland, just as a Maori or Pakeha might be attached to New Zealand.

Posted by Niteowl2 (# 15841) on :

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:

The physical land of Israel is a foreshadowing, a type, of the kingdom of God - God's people in God's land under God's king.

God's people is the Church
God's land is the kingdom of God
God's king is Jesus Christ

There is no need (in theological terms) for anyone, Jew or Gentile, to keep on with an attachment to the physical land of Israel, any more than there is a need to keep performing animal sacrifices to take away sins.

The physical land of Israel is just the physical land of Israel and no-one has a particular "right" to it any more than, for example, New Zealand or Nunavut. Of course general moral principles apply, just as they do in New Zealand or Nunavut. And of course an Israeli or Palestinian might well be emotionally attached to the land as their homeland, just as a Maori or Pakeha might be attached to New Zealand.

This. Just as many Jewish scholars missed the coming of the Messiah, many of today's Christian theologians are missing the true meaning of the Church, the New Covenant and what the new heaven and earth truly mean.

Revelations was a book primarily written in code with the OT being the decoder. It primarily relies on symbolism. Even the 12 tribes listed in Revelations is not the same 12 tribes listed in the OT if you compare one against the other.

Posted by Saul the Apostle (# 13808) on :

From a theological POV the Messianic community often adopt an ''olive tree'' approach to their position on where they are as believing Jews (believing in Messiah or Christ that is).

quote:
Olive Tree Theology refers to a theological view introduced by David H. Stern, a Messianic Jewish theologian, which maintains that the Messianic Congregation (or Church) and Israel are part of same spiritual entity which is represented as an olive tree, having one common root stock with original growth and grafted-in branches from "wild stock" (gentiles) and "broken branches" (Jewish people who come to faith in Jesus). See Romans 11:16-24. It is different from both dispensationalism and supersessionism, which both make a distinction between Israel and the Church.
Many evangelicals today and Messianic Jews would put forward there is a strong link between Israel and the land.

I was bought up in a very strong pre - millennial household and the place of Israel was seen to be crucial and tied up to last days times etc etc etc.

Whilst I wouldn't hold to all of these beliefs today, I feel St. Paul's argument about the olive tree in Romans are valid and maybe David H. Stern is simply elucidating St. Paul's argument in Romans? Could this be a way that avoids some of the hard edge of J.N. Derby etc and yet also acknowledges the place of the Jewish people today?

Saul the Apostle

quote:

Nice try except for the verse:
quote:
God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable.
Rom 11:9
So because God has given the land to the people of the Mosaic covenant, it's not on for us to claim now that He's withdrawn that gift.

quote:
quote:

God has one people who are all the OT-era saints who were saved by faith in the (promise of) the messiah, and the NT-era saints who are saved by faith in the messiah.

And yes, we have a right to the land - and not just the land but the whole created order, and we'll rule it when creation is restored in the new heavens and new earth.

That's not 'spiritualization', that's the greater reality that we'll live in long after these things have all passed away.

quote:
quote:

quote:
So because God has given the land to the people of the Mosaic covenant, it's not on for us to claim now that He's withdrawn that gift.

The gift has always been on the basis of faith, not of physical descent. This is why Paul says "not all Israelites truly belong to Israel" (Romans 9:6), which makes no sense under your interpretation.

And I am not saying that he has "withdrawn the gift". He has extended the gift to (ultimately) cover the whole universe, with Christ at its head. But there is only one olive tree, one Israel, comprised of those (whether formerly Jews or Gentiles) who are in Christ.

quote:
And I am not saying that he has "withdrawn the gift". He has extended the gift to (ultimately) cover the whole universe, with Christ at its head. But there is only one olive tree, one Israel, comprised of those (whether formerly Jews or Gentiles) who are in Christ.

Except that the New Testament speaks of us as citizens of heaven and exiles in this world (e.g 1 Peter 2 v 11). Therefore we can't have rulership over it in the way that OT Israel had the Land.

I agree with you that membership of the communities of both covenants is defined by faith, not hereditary, which means that people who convert to Judaism become beneficiaries of the promise, and those who don't seek to claim the status - such as Arab Christians in my understanding, who don't make any attempt to live by the law of Moses - don't have such a claim. And no, I'm in no way suggesting it is salvific to eternal life for its beneficiaries. It is however part of the way in which God continues to stand by his promises.

Posted by IconiumBound (# 754) on :

ISTM we have had this debate a few times before. The issues over the rights to the land (and what lies beneath it) have been put forth ad infinitum with historical, theological and political argument.

I have not yet, however, seen any reference to the human issues around the Arab reaction to the establishment of Israel in 1948 when the Palestinian inhabitants were told that They must flee to Gaza before they were slaughtered. And why Gaza, not Jordan, a Palestinian state?

Short of a locked room face-to-face with both sides being held there until a settlement is reached I see no solution.

@iconiumbound - I don't understand your point - Palestinian refugees fled in all directions. There are refugee camps in Jordan.

quote:
Except that the New Testament speaks of us as citizens of heaven and exiles in this world (e.g 1 Peter 2 v 11). Therefore we can't have rulership over it in the way that OT Israel had the Land.
The New Testament describes Jesus as the King of Israel. You know, him being he Messiah and all. This connects to the recurring theme of the Old Testament- the Jews are NOT the rulers of Israel, and it is NOT really their possession. The land belongs to God, and God is the true ruler of the people of God.

It's always been one of the catastrophic mistakes of your sort of theology to isolate the Old Covenant from Jesus Christ entirely, which isn't at all how the New Testament writers or Church Fathers imagined matters.

quote:
Originally posted by IconiumBound:
ISTM we have had this debate a few times before. The issues over the rights to the land (and what lies beneath it) have been put forth ad infinitum with historical, theological and political argument.

I have not yet, however, seen any reference to the human issues around the Arab reaction to the establishment of Israel in 1948 when the Palestinian inhabitants were told that They must flee to Gaza before they were slaughtered. And why Gaza, not Jordan, a Palestinian state?

Short of a locked room face-to-face with both sides being held there until a settlement is reached I see no solution.

I would agree we have debated the Israeli state and related issues extensively.

The period 1948 is contentious - no doubt about it - there were bad things being perpetrated on both sides. That is very clear. Both sides had blood on their hands.

There was also the perception by many Arab families that they would be leaving in a planned way, but just temporarily, until the Jews were pushed into the sea by the combined armies of Egypt, Jordan and Syria. In fact some Palestinian still have their front door keys to their old house in places like Haifa etc.

The role of the British in the Arab Legion cannot be underestimated either, the British trained and were officers in the Arab Legion and it is likely if it hadn't existed, Jerusalem would not have been a divided city in 1948. They held the line for Jordan at that time and prevented a wholesale victory by the infant state of Israel in 1948.

This period is contentious and Arabs in fact fled to all of the surrounding countries (not just Gaza). Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt and further afield too.

In modern Israel the land (''Eretz Israel'') takes on a mystical and sacred element; it is the defender of the Jewish people and a guarantee that ''never again'' will the Jewish people be forced to rely on the good nature of some kind gentiles, whilst 70% of the Jewish population of Europe were systematically wiped out.

The stakes are high. But certainly the demonology of one side or the other by their relevant supporters is common place. Often history shows reality far more complex and multi faceted than the headlines would portray. 1948 is a good example.

The US magazine 'Life' provides a fascintating picture of all sides back in 1948. Well worth a look IMHO.

http://benatlas.com/2009/07/life-in-israel-in-1948-part-1/

Saul

[ 20. May 2012, 15:18: Message edited by: Saul the Apostle ]

quote:
The New Testament describes Jesus as the King of Israel. You know, him being he Messiah and all. This connects to the recurring theme of the Old Testament- the Jews are NOT the rulers of Israel, and it is NOT really their possession. The land belongs to God, and God is the true ruler of the people of God.

Except of course that Jesus explicitly says 'My kingdom is not of this world'. (Jn 18:36) The phrase 'King of Israel' is used by others of Jesus but not by Jesus. The phrase that does seem to be commended is 'King of the Jews' - as used by Pilate to wind up the Jewish leaders, but that doesn't necessarily reflect a temporal rulership.

Meanwhile throughout the OT the land is given explicitly to Abraham and his descendant forever. Which is why if we are to believe what God promises for us, we have to accept what He has promised to others.

quote:
... Palestinian refugees fled in all directions. There are refugee camps in Jordan.

And there at least used to be in Lebanon and Egypt.

I'm not sure there have been any camps in Egypt, ken, but they certainly still exist in Syria, Lebanon and Jordan.

Outside of formal refugee camps, there are populations in many Middle Eastern countries.

quote:
I agree with you that membership of the communities of both covenants is defined by faith, not hereditary, which means that people who convert to Judaism become beneficiaries of the promise, and those who don't seek to claim the status - such as Arab Christians in my understanding, who don't make any attempt to live by the law of Moses - don't have such a claim. And no, I'm in no way suggesting it is salvific to eternal life for its beneficiaries. It is however part of the way in which God continues to stand by his promises.

But in your OP, you stated that "God promised the land to Abraham and his descendants through Isaac and Jacob," and "This promise is unconditional." Now you're saying it's actually conditional on making some attempt to keep the Mosaic law.

The implications of Theology of the Land seem to me pretty clear. If it's an unconditional promise to the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, then many Palestinian Arabs (as well as descendants of Spanish conversos and similar groups) are heirs to the promise just as much as the Jews. If you have to make some form of commitment to the Mosaic law to qualify, then it's not an unconditional promise.

Seems to me there is a failure of logic even if you believe the sacrifice was to pay for the sins of the people: namely there has not been the sacrifice for a long time because there hasn't been a functioning temple.

Therefore those who reject Jesus and who are under the law are not fulfilling their 'side of the bargain' in continuing to sacrifice for the sins of the people. Therefore nobody and nothing is paying for sins and therefore the people are still sinful before God - and as God cannot co-exist with sin, he therefore must consider them sinful and separate himself from them.

If you are saying that the sacrifice is not necessary any more... then I'm not sure I'm following how you reason that the Jews are subject to the conditions of the Old Covenant and are still His People.

quote:
Meanwhile throughout the OT the land is given explicitly to Abraham and his descendant forever. Which is why if we are to believe what God promises for us, we have to accept what He has promised to others.
You are failing to make the connection that the promise of Jesus and the promise made to Abraham are the same promise. Viewing the promises of the Old Testament in isolation from the New Testament may be convenient for your theology, but it isn't a Christian one without it.

quote:
Seems to me there is a failure of logic even if you believe the sacrifice was to pay for the sins of the people: namely there has not been the sacrifice for a long time because there hasn't been a functioning temple.

Therefore those who reject Jesus and who are under the law are not fulfilling their 'side of the bargain' in continuing to sacrifice for the sins of the people. Therefore nobody and nothing is paying for sins and therefore the people are still sinful before God - and as God cannot co-exist with sin, he therefore must consider them sinful and separate himself from them.

If you are saying that the sacrifice is not necessary any more... then I'm not sure I'm following how you reason that the Jews are subject to the conditions of the Old Covenant and are still His People.

Long Ranger: you are missing that

a) the promise to Abraham of the land to his descendants is prior to the instructions about the Mosaic Covenants

b) Hebrews expressly denies that the sacrifice of animals actually takes away sin.

c) the return from Babylon occurred despite the absence of temple sacrifices

quote:
quote:
You are failing to make the connection that the promise of Jesus and the promise made to Abraham are the same promise. Viewing the promises of the Old Testament in isolation from the New Testament may be convenient for your theology, but it isn't a Christian one without it.
That sounds impressive, but doesn't actually mean anything to me. Can you unpack why the New Testament's occurrence makes the slightest difference to the debate, given that the Jesus seems to agree that the 'kingdom will be restored to Israel' in:
quote:
6 Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”

7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.

Acts 1:6-7

quote:
quote:

But in your OP, you stated that "God promised the land to Abraham and his descendants through Isaac and Jacob," and "This promise is unconditional." Now you're saying it's actually conditional on making some attempt to keep the Mosaic law.

The implications of Theology of the Land seem to me pretty clear. If it's an unconditional promise to the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, then many Palestinian Arabs (as well as descendants of Spanish conversos and similar groups) are heirs to the promise just as much as the Jews. If you have to make some form of commitment to the Mosaic law to qualify, then it's not an unconditional promise.

Yeah - I'm not quite sure how that works: certainly unless the Arabs concerned express a claim on the land on the basis of the old covenant, then they can't expect to benefit from the promise, and I've never heard of any doing so. This is the same logic that suggests that you will only be forgiven for your sins if you ask for such forgiveness. Beyond that, how it works in God's eyes I don't know, but that's no reason to discard the claim of the Jews to the land, and our celebrating God's faithfulness in fulfilling His promise to bring them back to the land in our time. Of course we need to recognise that the response of the Arab states by keeping them as a distinct refugee population has created major suffering, but the suggestion that this should be resolved by depriving the Jews of what is theirs is the point at which we've gone too far.

Just some questions: does this 'literal' reading of Bible texts necessarily imply that Israelites will live in this land alone? As far as I can tell, they never have.

And does the idea of an 'inheritage' exclude sharing it with others? Especially if you combine it with Jesus' ideas that to rule is to serve.

@Ender's Shadow - ok, but according to you, sacrifice is necessary for forgiveness. And according to the Mosaic law, animal sacrifice is necessary for the forgiveness of the people of Israel.

Hence surely if they're not sacrificing they are not forgiven.. and hence not considered to be part of the covenant - which stretches back to the promise of Abraham.

I can't see how you can have it both ways when you've already apparently stated that sacrificial atonement is necessary for the forgiveness of sins.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
Which is why if we are to believe what God promises for us, we have to accept what He has promised to others.

Doesn't this essentially boil down to "Palestinians should be kicked out of their homes so that I can go on believing I'll be Saved"?

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Just some questions: does this 'literal' reading of Bible texts necessarily imply that Israelites will live in this land alone? As far as I can tell, they never have.

And does the idea of an 'inheritage' exclude sharing it with others? Especially if you combine it with Jesus' ideas that to rule is to serve.

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Which is why if we are to believe what God promises for us, we have to accept what He has promised to others.

Doesn't this essentially boil down to "Palestinians should be kicked out of their homes so that I can go on believing I'll be Saved"?
Trying to take these two related points together; the problem is twofold: relating to land ownership and relating to political rights. As far as the first is concerned, the logic of the Old Testament points to the fact that the land, having been given to the people of Israel, cannot be alienated from them. The concept of Jubilee means that land can only be sold for a limited period. Therefore the land which the Arabs 'own' was forcibly and unlawfully taken from the Jews at some point, and should return to their ownership. At least that is what the logic of the Old Testament points to. Now whether modern Israel wants to follow that logic, or accept the presence of Arabs on its agricultural land is a matter for it. But as Christians who take the OT seriously, we can't object in principle to their regaining the land. I would suggest they might well be wise to resist the idea, or if they do it, do it 'gently', looking to offer generous compensation.

The political issue of the presence of a substantial Arab minority in the land is more complex. The main problem here is that we are fixated on the concept of democracy, and regard it as unacceptable to exclude people from 'representation'. Given that a 'one state' solution where all the residents of the territories west of the Jordan would be treated equally would result in the de facto destruction of Israel as a Jewish state, it is not legitimate for Christians to call for this solution. The experience of Gaza offers little hope that a two state solution will work - though if Israel wishes to adopt such a settlement, it should be their choice. Again, we must hesitate to pressurise them into such a choice; they will be taking an enormous risk because the public commitment of many groups within Islam to Israel's destruction gives them very good reason to be sceptical that such a peace agreement would work.

However there are also serious practical issues associated with any full sovereignty for an Arab state on the West Bank; if it has control of who is allowed to live there, and allows many of the residents of the camps outside Israel to return, the issue of water supply will become a BIG issue. Specifically the shared aquifers under the land are liable to be drained to the point of becoming filled from the sea, with major consequences for everybody.

So I can see where you are coming from Marvin - and I hope that Israel doesn't go all the way down that route. But ultimately it would be their choice; they have the right to do it, but it would probably be unwise.

What is really needed is a recognition by the Arabs and everyone that the refugees aren't going back. Instead they should be encouraged to go to countries that are looking for immigrants: the USA, Canada and Australia are still open for settlement, or else integrated into the states where they currently reside. However this would disarm the Arabs of one of their biggest weapons in the situation; the reality that they've failed to go down that road is a clear indicator that at heart they are committed to the destruction of Israel as a state, which gives Israel a strong reason to remain sceptical of peace offers. It's nice to grandstand in condemning Israel and demanding they risk their existence when you aren't risking anything.

quote:
@Ender's Shadow - ok, but according to you, sacrifice is necessary for forgiveness. And according to the Mosaic law, animal sacrifice is necessary for the forgiveness of the people of Israel.

Hence surely if they're not sacrificing they are not forgiven.. and hence not considered to be part of the covenant - which stretches back to the promise of Abraham.

I can't see how you can have it both ways when you've already apparently stated that sacrificial atonement is necessary for the forgiveness of sins.

I don't see why you are so fixated on the issue of forgiveness of sins. As I've already said, the terms of the promise of the land are not conditional on that sort of issue: yes God did judge them for their failure to keep the covenant, but that doesn't mean the land stops being theirs. And of course from a Christian perspective, the forgiveness is achieved by Jesus' death, and not by the sacrifices, so the point is moot; in practice that deals with the issue of sin, even if the Jews don't realise it.

quote:
quote:

quote:

No, the gift has not been withdrawn, thanks be to God. But I don't think that the word 'gift' in this context means what you think it means...

By his death AND resurrection, Ender's Shadow.

I can see your concerns on the practical issues and no-one here is suggesting that the Palestinians and the surrounding Arab nations are all nice and cuddly.

However, it would make no more sense to deport the Palestinians to Canada or Australia or wherever than it would to demand that the Israelis do likewise.

I think the 'olive tree' idea that Saul has mooted has much to commend it - provided it doesn't lead us into the kind of knee-jerk Zionism or overly-literal approaches that you seem to be advocating here.

The whole 'land' thing is a hot-potato, from all sides. Today in the Calendar it's the day that commemorates St Helena, 'Protector of the Holy Places'. There's a double-edge to that. On the one hand it's legitimate and understandable that certain places are deemed 'holy' but equally it can be a recipe for all manner of hassle and even bloodshed.

You'd probably be one of the first to scoff at the idea of relics and some of the shenanigans that go on in Christian shrines in the Holy Land - the way that Orthodox, Armenians, Copts and Catholics and others all seem to squabble and bicker over particular sites.

Yet you seem to think it entirely legitimate for the Israelis to have their plot of sacred land and turf anyone else off who gets in their way.

No, there has to be a way that allows all the competing faiths in the region to share the same hallowed ground - Christian, Muslim and Jew. How we do that is the moot point.

Chucking the Palestinians out as if they were illegal squatters (even though they've been there probably as long as the Jews have) ain't going to solve anything.

Destroying the State of Israel isn't an option either, and I'd certainly not want to see that happen.

So there's an impasse. How to resolve it? Dialogue.

How NOT to resolve it? Act like you are doing.

quote:
the problem is twofold: relating to land ownership and relating to political rights. As far as the first is concerned, the logic of the Old Testament points to the fact that the land, having been given to the people of Israel, cannot be alienated from them. The concept of Jubilee means that land can only be sold for a limited period. Therefore the land which the Arabs 'own' was forcibly and unlawfully taken from the Jews at some point, and should return to their ownership. At least that is what the logic of the Old Testament points to. Now whether modern Israel wants to follow that logic, or accept the presence of Arabs on its agricultural land is a matter for it. But as Christians who take the OT seriously, we can't object in principle to their regaining the land. I would suggest they might well be wise to resist the idea, or if they do it, do it 'gently', looking to offer generous compensation.

You speak for yourself. Try reading the prophets - if the people do not follow the rules, God disowns them and the land is taken away. According to you, God was not entitled to allow the people to be taken into captivity in Babylon - yet it is clear that this was allowed due to disobedience of the people.

quote:
The political issue of the presence of a substantial Arab minority in the land is more complex. The main problem here is that we are fixated on the concept of democracy, and regard it as unacceptable to exclude people from 'representation'. Given that a 'one state' solution where all the residents of the territories west of the Jordan would be treated equally would result in the de facto destruction of Israel as a Jewish state, it is not legitimate for Christians to call for this solution.
You speak for yourself again. Kindly stop projecting as to what Christians should legitimately call for. Who are you to determine legitimacy?

quote:
The experience of Gaza offers little hope that a two state solution will work - though if Israel wishes to adopt such a settlement, it should be their choice. Again, we must hesitate to pressurise them into such a choice; they will be taking an enormous risk because the public commitment of many groups within Islam to Israel's destruction gives them very good reason to be sceptical that such a peace agreement would work.
Gaza has 'failed' largely because it is a large prison totally controlled by Israel. We should not hesitate to call Israel to live up to their humanitarian responsibilities in Gaza.

quote:
However there are also serious practical issues associated with any full sovereignty for an Arab state on the West Bank; if it has control of who is allowed to live there, and allows many of the residents of the camps outside Israel to return, the issue of water supply will become a BIG issue. Specifically the shared aquifers under the land are liable to be drained to the point of becoming filled from the sea, with major consequences for everybody.
Water is already a big issue. I know of one Palestinian village in the West Bank where their best fields are regularly polluted from the sewage overflow from the illegal settlement which is built above them. They clearly do not care that their behaviour adversely affects their neighbours.

quote:
So I can see where you are coming from Marvin - and I hope that Israel doesn't go all the way down that route. But ultimately it would be their choice; they have the right to do it, but it would probably be unwise.

What is really needed is a recognition by the Arabs and everyone that the refugees aren't going back. Instead they should be encouraged to go to countries that are looking for immigrants: the USA, Canada and Australia are still open for settlement, or else integrated into the states where they currently reside. However this would disarm the Arabs of one of their biggest weapons in the situation; the reality that they've failed to go down that road is a clear indicator that at heart they are committed to the destruction of Israel as a state, which gives Israel a strong reason to remain sceptical of peace offers. It's nice to grandstand in condemning Israel and demanding they risk their existence when you aren't risking anything.

Stop talking ignorant shite. Palestinians have a right to return to their homes from which they were removed in 1948 and 1967. If you believe anything otherwise you are clearly someone who has no interest in international humanitarian law. Practically speaking, that might be very difficult to do (in which case proper compensation is a must), but do not run away with the idea that they have no right to their homes, because it is rubbish.

quote:
I don't see why you are so fixated on the issue of forgiveness of sins. As I've already said, the terms of the promise of the land are not conditional on that sort of issue: yes God did judge them for their failure to keep the covenant, but that doesn't mean the land stops being theirs.
You make this assertion with no proof or logic or reasoning. Either we're talking about the People of Israel, in which case they are bound to the Mosaic law, or the children of Abraham - in which case that might well include all of the non-Jewish inhabitants of the land.

quote:
And of course from a Christian perspective, the forgiveness is achieved by Jesus' death, and not by the sacrifices, so the point is moot; in practice that deals with the issue of sin, even if the Jews don't realise it.
AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!

I give up.

quote:

It has been suggested, and it makes sense to me, that, whereas the conventional view of history is that Judaism continued from ancient times to the present day, with Christianity alongside it as a sister-religion for the last 2000 years, what really happened was that ancient, temple-based Judaism ended at the time of the destruction of the temple 2000 years ago, and was replaced by two new successor-religions: Christianity and synagogue-based Judaism.

[ 21. May 2012, 11:00: Message edited by: Steve H ]

quote:
quote:

It has been suggested, and it makes sense to me, that, whereas the conventional view of history is that Judaism continued from ancient times to the present day, with Christianity alongside it as a sister-religion for the last 2000 years, what really happened was that ancient, temple-based Judaism ended at the time of the destruction of the temple 2000 years ago, and was replaced by two new successor-religions: Christianity and synagogue-based Judaism.
My understanding, though, is that Temple based Judaism complete with sacrifices will continue if the Temple is rebuilt, which I doubt will happen.

The whole right to return business, I don't understand.

Israel always carps on the fact that the Palestinians do not have a right to return to their homes but Israeli policy allows any Jewish person in the world to immigrate to Israel freely live there. To me, this is patently unjust. The Palestinians have been living in that land for generations. Why shouldn't they return?

Not only that, but Israel has not ceased building settlements in the occupied territories. It is not enough that Israel denies Palestinians the right to return, Israel builds homes and expropriates land within territory that the international community deems it does not own.

Many of the Palestinians are Christian, members of the household of faith. Shall we not consider that sinning against them is akin to sinning against members of our own family?

quote:

quote:
quote:

Actually, the Arabs (Muslims) believe that Ishmael is the son of promise, and not Isaac. You may not be aware that the Qu'ran falsely changes the story of Abraham and Isaac, and the substitutionary sacrifice, to Abraham and Ishmael. They believe that God's promises come through Ishmael and that Isaac the father of Israel, is not under God's promise.

The promise is made to Israel in the name of YHWH, not to Ishmael. The Promised Land is promised, covenanted, to the children of Israel, not to the Arabs.

If one is going to use the Bible for anything, one also has to include these promises that specifically exclude the Arabs, the sons of Ishmael, who was NOT the heir of Abraham.

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
quote:

quote:
quote:

Actually, the Arabs (Muslims) believe that Ishmael is the son of promise, and not Isaac. You may not be aware that the Qu'ran falsely changes the story of Abraham and Isaac, and the substitutionary sacrifice, to Abraham and Ishmael. They believe that God's promises come through Ishmael and that Isaac the father of Israel, is not under God's promise.

The promise is made to Israel in the name of YHWH, not to Ishmael. The Promised Land is promised, covenanted, to the children of Israel, not to the Arabs.

If one is going to use the Bible for anything, one also has to include these promises that specifically exclude the Arabs, the sons of Ishmael, who was NOT the heir of Abraham.

But God did make promises to Ishmael as well. Genesis 16 he promises Abraham that he will make Ishmael into a great nation, but he will always fight with his brothers (ain't that the truth) and again confirms his promise to Hagar in Genesis 21. He may not share the exact covenant of Isaac, but God made promises for the descendants of Ishmael to be a great nation as well. If the promises to Israel are interpreted as still in effect, so are the promises to Ishmael. Can't have it both ways.

ETA: Ishmael was also circumcised along with Abraham.

[ 21. May 2012, 11:43: Message edited by: Niteowl2 ]

Well indeed, the promise to Ishmael was in my mind as I typed; but we are considering the covenant made to Israel and the promise of the land of Canaan that was given to them after the exodus.

Great nation or not, the sons of Ishmael were never promised the land of Canaan and never had a unique covenant with the Lord God.

quote:
Mudfrog: Great nation or not, the sons of Ishmael were never promised the land of Canaan and never had a unique covenant with the Lord God.
The thing is: I don't even mind when people hold this interpretation of the Bible. Everyone is entitled to their view.

The big problem is that this view brings about big military support to Israel, that is used to trump human rights and prolongue the conflict. This view costs lives. And that can't be right.

There's no doubt in my mind that if Israel couldn't count on the unconditional military support of the US, it would be forced to take the peace talks much more seriously, and the conflict would already be long over.

I don't mind how you read the Bible or how you interpret it. That's your prerrogative. But how many lives must this take? And don't you care about that at all?

And what does this say about your religion, if your interpretation of the Book is more important than human lives?

quote:
Well indeed, the promise to Ishmael was in my mind as I typed; but we are considering the covenant made to Israel and the promise of the land of Canaan that was given to them after the exodus.

Great nation or not, the sons of Ishmael were never promised the land of Canaan and never had a unique covenant with the Lord God.

But like it or not, the promise to the descendents of Ishmael still stand and Israel is going to have make compromises in the current peace process if you believe God honors his promises. The 2 brothers are still fighting and at present the sons of Ishmael are getting the very short end of the stick. Ender's Shadow seems to be under the impression they aren't entitled to any land or anything else and that is simply not the case if you are going to state equivocally that God's promises to Israel still stand with respect to it's statehood. Statehood was also promised to the sons of Ishmael, even other terms of the covenant with Abraham weren't.

ETA: I'm one who thinks the Kingdom of God is now the Church and not a physical state.

[ 21. May 2012, 11:58: Message edited by: Niteowl2 ]

quote:
That sounds impressive, but doesn't actually mean anything to me. Can you unpack why the New Testament's occurrence makes the slightest difference to the debate, given that the Jesus seems to agree that the 'kingdom will be restored to Israel' in:
I can unpack it easily: what you understand by "Kingdom" is not what Jesus understood by "Kingdom." What is this Kingdom like? Jesus told us many times. "The Kingdom of God is a man who forgave his prodigal son." "The Kingdom of God is a pearl of great price." "The Kingdom of God is a mustard seed."

That's why Jesus had a hard time selling his status as Messiah. People want land and soldiers and guns and bombs, with a nice gentile alliance to protect the claims of the Jews, but God has given us a homeless preacher from Nazareth, crying out in the wilderness against our lack of faith. "But Lord, this isn't the Kingdom we wanted! We wanted land and wealth and military power!" But it is the Kingdom we are given, and "the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether."

A strictly materialist interpretation of the promise to Abraham is wrong, but where it absolutely leaves biblical belief is when it stops trusting in God alone in restore those promises. The Bible calls all to trust in the power of God through the Messiah. Zionists put their faith in the powers of this world. "All they that take the sword shall perish with the sword" while only they that live by the name of God shall live.

quote:
quote:
I can unpack it easily: what you understand by "Kingdom" is not what Jesus understood by "Kingdom." What is this Kingdom like? Jesus told us many times. "The Kingdom of God is a man who forgave his prodigal son." "The Kingdom of God is a pearl of great price." "The Kingdom of God is a mustard seed."

That's why Jesus had a hard time selling his status as Messiah. People want land and soldiers and guns and bombs, with a nice gentile alliance to protect the claims of the Jews, but God has given us a homeless preacher from Nazareth, crying out in the wilderness against our lack of faith. "But Lord, this isn't the Kingdom we wanted! We wanted land and wealth and military power!" But it is the Kingdom we are given, and "the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether."

A strictly materialist interpretation of the promise to Abraham is wrong, but where it absolutely leaves biblical belief is when it stops trusting in God alone in restore those promises. The Bible calls all to trust in the power of God through the Messiah. Zionists put their faith in the powers of this world. "All they that take the sword shall perish with the sword" while only they that live by the name of God shall live.

While I argued for statehood for the descendents of Ishmael if one holds God's material promises true for a material Israel, Zach82's statement above is what I personally believe. We need to be pushing for a valid peace process which necessarily involves 2 nation states. That fits with both interpretations I think - except for those that want to nullify the promise to one while insisting the other is still in effect.

I believe the Palestinians were once offered a 2 nation state solution, a place of their own; but they refused it?

Do the Palestinians want Israel to have a nation state?

The Church has not replaced Israel. That doctrine is the foundation of 2000 years of antisemitism.

quote:
I believe the Palestinians were once offered a 2 nation state solution, a place of their own; but they refused it?

The Church has not replaced Israel. That doctrine is the foundation of 2000 years of antisemitism.

The point of contention has always been Jerusalem, which was acquired wholly by Israel in 1967. There are politicians in Israel discussing the possibility of a split capital, including former PM Olmert. As there are Muslim holy sites there including Dome of the Rock, that may be a price of peace. Everything else in that accord was agreed to by both sides.

And will you please drop the charge of antisemitism? It's patently false and is the common reply of people when they want to dodge issues and claim moral superiority. I know you well enough that that's not aimed at you personally - just a note that the argument is invalid, not to mention insulting, in it's entirety. My views are based Biblically, drawn from OT, NT and studying the symbolism used in Revelations as it relates to both. This is a matter of interpretation where there are differing viewpoints on the Church and what the Kingdom of God entails.

quote:
The doctrine of supercessionism, which puts the Church in Israel's place in God's plan and tosses out the Jews, is surely false, so far as the Bible is concerned. Yet this does not in any way grant Israel special legitimacy, for the Cross supercedes every nationality, Jewish and gentile alike. God's judgment is that all have sinned and fallen short, Jew and gentile alike, and that nevertheless, God will offer his salvation to all, Jew and gentile alike.

Zionists might demand some special consideration of Jewish identity, but Christianity sees all of humanity getting a new identity in light of the Cross of Christ, where both circumcision and uncircumcision count for nothing.

quote:

Nowhere in the Bible is Ishmael described as the ancestor of the Arabs. That idea comes from the Book of Jubilees and the Qur'an.

In any case, you are still not addressing my point, which is that Palestinian Arabs are to a large extent genetically descended from 1st-century Judaeans, which, on your view, makes them descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. It makes no difference whether or not they're also descendants of Ishmael.

quote:
quote:
The doctrine of supercessionism, which puts the Church in Israel's place in God's plan and tosses out the Jews, is surely false, so far as the Bible is concerned. Yet this does not in any way grant Israel special legitimacy, for the Cross supercedes every nationality, Jewish and gentile alike. God's judgment is that all have sinned and fallen short, Jew and gentile alike, and that nevertheless, God will offer his salvation to all, Jew and gentile alike.

Zionists might demand some special consideration of Jewish identity, but Christianity sees all of humanity getting a new identity in light of the Cross of Christ, where both circumcision and uncircumcision count for nothing.

You put it a little better than I did. God's wish and focus is Jew and Gentile together in salvation.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
So I can see where you are coming from Marvin

I'm not so sure you do see where I was coming from. I was critiquing your approach to this issue, specifically the way you seem to think that in order for you to be able to believe that your Salvation as a Christian is assured then you must also believe that the people of Israel must be in posession of what is currently the land of Israel. Or as you phrased it, "if we are to believe what God promises for us, we have to accept what He has promised to others".

But that's not true. The very most we are called to do as Christians is trust in the promise we have been given through Christ, and to love our neighbour as ourselves. And for the elimination of doubt, "our neighbour" is the Palestinians just as much as it is the Israelis.

Work out your own Salvation in fear and trembling, ES, and let Israel worry about Israel's. Do you not trust God? Do you not have the assurace of the Holy Spirit in your life at this very moment? Do you really require a sign, a guarantee that if you can see a promise being very visibly kept to another people then you can truly believe the one that has been made to you? Or worse, that if you can use your own political and military power to bring about one of God's promises to someone else then it will somehow assure His promise to you, as if God's hand can be forced in such a way?

We aren't subject to any promises God has given to anyone else, and we certainly aren't expected to use our political and military power to ensure that those promises are kept. All we are called to do is to love all the people of the Middle East, and do what we can to help them to live together in peace. Because even if God plays favourites with the races of the earth, we have been emphatically told not to.

quote:

No, the doctrine that is the foundation of 2000 years of antisemitism is the idea that the Jews killed Christ.

You are confusing two notions of Israel here. There is the political State of Israel and the Jewish race as a people. Those are two separate concepts.

One can affirm that the covenant between God and the Jewish race as a people still is valid while at the same time recognizing that the political State of Israel is to be measured to the same ethical standard demanded of all political states.

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
quote:

No, the doctrine that is the foundation of 2000 years of antisemitism is the idea that the Jews killed Christ.
Both supercessionism and the Christ-killer idea feed into antisemitisism. It is both/and, not either/or.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Both supercessionism and the Christ-killer idea feed into antisemitisism. It is both/and, not either/or.
Replaced Israel? No. Joined/grafted with Israel with end being the completed Bride of Christ, not a nation state? Yes. And it's based in the Bible, not on antisemitism. Prooftexted by several. The answer to everything is NOT antisemitism. There is a world still full of it out there it needs to be wiped out. Accusing people of it for just about everything makes that job harder.

Just to add to the above as my edit time has expired. I am for the nation state of Israel, but not out of belief that that nation state has any supremacy over the Church. Israel is to be defended in it's right to exist. I also believe the Palestinians are entitled to a nation state and they must work it out among themselves. We've tried in the past to assist them and we should continue pressure towards a just peace agreement while having their back against any who seek to destroy it. It's the politicians (and some theologians) who have a problem with peace.

The whole thing is a conundrum of the first order.

I think that the reality of Israel (the Jews) in the land is now of course a settled reality.

To be fair back in 1999 there was a comprehensive peace treaty on the table and as far as I am aware it did even include Jerusalem.

As a Christian, I am concerned for fellow believers, both Jew and Arab, over there. Believers are between a rock and a hard place right now as I've said many times on the Ship, with a few notable exceptions, the Arab community has been wholly let down by it's leaders, who have shown a craven desire to fall back into the default 'let's push the Jews back into the sea' approach.

We have to accept a militarily strong Israel as we have to accept other factors. The Jews are in their land and it is their right to be at one in their own land. Eretz Israel isn't going anywhere soon. It is there and will remain so.

There will need to be painful real mediation & compromise on all sides. No quick fixed and no retreat to default reactionary positions - on either side.

The Grand Mufti of Jerusalem (during World War 2) is a good example of a seriously blinkered Arab mentality and as he cuddled up to national socialism, he lost moral high ground and IMHO a good part of the Palestinian community has never found that high ground since 1945.

As Churchill said:

quote:
Sir Winston Churchill stated in 1939 about what role Russia might play in World War II:
"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma, but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

That is a fair summary of the Israeli - Arab impasse. Just take out names and so on and the cap fits!

Saul

[ 21. May 2012, 14:01: Message edited by: Saul the Apostle ]

quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Replaced Israel? No. Joined/grafted with Israel with end being the completed Bride of Christ, not a nation state? Yes. And it's based in the Bible, not on antisemitism. Prooftexted by several. The answer to everything is NOT antisemitism. There is a world still full of it out there it needs to be wiped out. Accusing people of it for just about everything makes that job harder.
Christ and His Church are the fulfillment, not the replacement of Israel.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Christ and His Church are the fulfillment, not the replacement of Israel.

This.
[Overused]

quote:

'Feed into' is a weaselly term.

The idea that there is an objective difference between Jews and Gentiles 'feeds into' anti-Semitism, insofar as one can't be anti-Jewish if one believes that Jews are essentially the same as everyone else.

There is actually a serious point here. Bicovenantalism, as I have heard it expressed, always seems to me an essentially racialist doctrine (racialist in a 'separate but equal' sense). It supposes that 'Jewish' is not simply an ethnic category established by society, but something set in stone by God, such that in the mind of God Himself one law and covenant applies to those on one side of the line, and different laws to those on the other.

quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
quote:
quote:

You put it a little better than I did. God's wish and focus is Jew and Gentile together in salvation.
Now this I entirely agree with. In the Millennial Kingdom - ie after Christ returns to reign, there will in actual fact be no Jew and Gentile, just Israel - made up of all those redeemed by Christ.

What we are seeing today is the process.

Since Pentecost, we are in the day of grace, in the time of the Gentiles. At the end of the last days, the reconstituted Israel will see their Messiah and believe, having the veil removed. They shall look on the one they have pierced and 'all Israel will be saved.'

The last 65 years of Israel's existence is part of the run up to the fulfilment of that promise. Israel as it stands now is not the covenanted Israel of Scripture; I accept that: it is made up of those who refuse Christ as the Messiah. It is, however, the forerunner of the redeemed Israel and is therefore part of God's plane to bring them back to himself under his OT covenant - a covenant into which the gentiles are grafted.

I have been asked to cease from using the term 'antisemitism.' I am afraid I cannot.

I do not level the accusation against anyone here. Indeed I have not called anyone here an antisemite. What I do legitimately believe - and the historical evidence is there - is that the belief that the Church has replaced the Jews as God's covenant people has led to all sorts of atrocities and justification of the persecution of the 'Christ-killers'.

It is a matter of historical record, for example, that we celebrate Easter at a different time to the Passover in order to avoid sharing a festival with Jews:

quote:
"It was ... declared improper to follow the custom of the Jews in the celebration of this holy festival, because, their hands having been stained with crime, the minds of these wretched men are necessarily blinded.... Let us, then, have nothing in common with the Jews, who are our adversaries. ... avoiding all contact with that evil way. ... who, after having compassed the death of the Lord, being out of their minds, are guided not by sound reason, but by an unrestrained passion, wherever their innate madness carries them. ... a people so utterly depraved. ... Therefore, this irregularity must be corrected, in order that we may no more have any thing in common with those parricides and the murderers of our Lord. ... no single point in common with the perjury of the Jews. Council of Nicea

The Bible does not place the age of reconciliation of Jews and Gentiles in the future. It is, indeed, impossible to call this the "Age of Gentiles" based on the New Testament, because most of it was written in a Jewish Christian context. The Gentile Church was just starting to develop in the writings of Saint Paul, and was much more a "graft" onto Jewish life like the metaphor suggests. In the New Testament, a mostly Gentile Church, with the reality of the Church "veiled" to the Jews, was inconceivable.

This was actually the whole battle of Saint Paul. While much of the Church saw the Church as Jewish and demanded conversion to Judaism to be part of Christian life, Paul recognized that the old distinction between Jew and Gentile was done away with in the resurrection of Jesus. "Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all." This absolute solidarity between all sinners is a present reality, not something safely in the future where it cannot really challenge the apparent status quo.

quote:
Romans 11:25-31

25 I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written:

“The deliverer will come from Zion;
he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.
27 And this is my covenant with them
when I take away their sins."
28 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, 29 for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. 30 Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, 31 so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now receive mercy as a result of God’s mercy to you.

Can it not be seen that this is the time of the Gentiles when Israel is hardened to the truth that one day will be revealed to them?

Only if you want it to mean that, Mudfrog, and apply a particular interpretive lens that reached its full development in the 19th century.

That's the problem I have with all this Millenium malarkey you keep spouting. It's over-realised, over-literal and doesn't help.

Zach's on the money in my view, FWIW.

I'm not theologian, but from what I can gather no serious theologian holds the kind of view that you're promulgating here - it's the province of 19th century millenarian sects. Ok, so there are some earlier precedents and it appears that some of the Fathers did take a fairly literal approach to this issue - but by no means all of them.

I agree with you on the anti-semitism issue with the date of Easter and much else besides, but to see the Church and the Jews jointly grafted into the same olive-branch as it were (salvation is of the Jews) with us Gentile branches not boasting over the root which supports us doesn't strike me as being anti-Semitic.

It is important, Mudfrog, to interpret that passage in its own context, and not in the carefully constructed context of dispensational theology.

Paul is writing in a context when the Gentile Church necessary for your theology was still a long time off. The Church was still dominated by Jews, and was considered even by Christians to be a Jewish sect. However, the Church was starting to be marginalized in Jewish circles because of its revolutionary new policy towards Gentiles.

That's the situation Paul is trying to explain in that passage. He is explaining that God's new inclusion of the Gentiles in the Covenant does not mean He is finished when the Jews. This is predicated on the assumption that the reconciliation between Jews and Gentiles is happening right now, not in the future. An "age of gentiles" would have still been completely inconceivable to Paul.

quote:
It is important, Mudfrog, to interpret that passage in its own context, and not in the carefully constructed context of dispensational theology.

Paul is writing in a context when the Gentile Church necessary for your theology was still a long time off. The Church was still dominated by Jews, and was considered even by Christians to be a Jewish sect. However, the Church was starting to be marginalized in Jewish circles because of its revolutionary new policy towards Gentiles.

That's the situation Paul is trying to explain in that passage. He is explaining that God's new inclusion of the Gentiles in the Covenant does not mean He is finished when the Jews. This is predicated on the assumption that the reconciliation between Jews and Gentiles is happening right now, not in the future. An "age of gentiles" would have still been completely inconceivable to Paul.

But Romans was written to a majority gentile audience.

quote:

Just as an interesting sidenote; This situation continued for quite a long time, there appears to have been both conversion and conversation between the two communities throughout the first few centuries.

A large percentage of the new converts to Christianity in the first two centuries were Hellenized Jews, this continued at a slower pace during the next two centuries.

quote:
I would recommend a careful reading of Romans, beginning to end, apart from any dispensationalist commentaries. Rome was a mixed community in Paul's day, and the Epistle to the Romans contains direct addresses to both Jews and Gentiles.

quote:
The last 65 years of Israel's existence is part of the run up to the fulfilment of that promise.

Why, exactly?

To be honest, I can never quite see why God's promises to the Jews are all that linked to the existence of a political earthly Israeli state. There wasn't a country of that name for a couple of millennia. And frankly, the current one acts like a complete basket case at times.

[ 22. May 2012, 03:41: Message edited by: orfeo ]

quote:
quote:
I would recommend a careful reading of Romans, beginning to end, apart from any dispensationalist commentaries. Rome was a mixed community in Paul's day, and the Epistle to the Romans contains direct addresses to both Jews and Gentiles.
quote:
"(The) expulsion of Jews (from Rome) would have included Jewish Christians, as Luke himself implies when he mentions that it was because of this edict of Claudius that Priscilla and Aquila had come to Corinth. The expulsion (which is probably to be dated in AD 49) would have had a significant effect on the make-up of the Christian community in Rome: Gentiles, who up to this point comprised a minority of believers, were now left as the only Christians in the city. Therefore, although Jews had been allowed to move back to Rome by the time Paul wrote to the Romans - Priscilla and Aquila, for instance, had returned - Gentiles were in the majority in the church, and had come to dominate both its leadership and theological tone."

Romans, in New Bible Commentary, IVP, 1994, p1115

[ 22. May 2012, 07:00: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
The last 65 years of Israel's existence is part of the run up to the fulfilment of that promise.

Why, exactly?

To be honest, I can never quite see why God's promises to the Jews are all that linked to the existence of a political earthly Israeli state. There wasn't a country of that name for a couple of millennia. And frankly, the current one acts like a complete basket case at times.

The logic is that there are predictions made in the bible that haven't been fulfilled; if the Parousia is to occur, those predictions need to have been fulfilled if God is to be shown to be trustworthy. Therefore the reestablishment of a Jewish state, in fulfilling that prediction, makes the parousia possible in a way that it wasn't before. This is a logical extension of Paul's teaching in 2 Thess that the anti-Christ must appear before the second coming.

Of course for those who reject the possibility of a visible return of Christ in glory this is an irrelevant argument.

It's also irrelevant to those who do believe in a literal Parousia but who don't sign up for an overly literal pre-millenialist or dispensational package.

That includes me. It also includes most Christians in the classic Reformed traditions, the Orthodox and the RCs. The only people who hold the kind of views that you espouse are a particularly narrow band of Protestant fundamentalists - although I have come across a rather odd Orthodox priest online who holds similar views under the influence of Protestant evangelicals/fundamentalists. One reason why our Orthodox friends are rather wary of ecumenism is that it can lead to people espousing some of these more left-field views.

[Biased]

I don't see why we have to take on the baggage of dispensationalism nor the interpretive grid of pre-millenialism through which to view the scriptures as an antidote to anti-semitism.

I recently heard a liberal female rabbi on Radio 3 talking about her experience of studying theology at Cambridge in the early 1970s and her subsequent experiences in Israel.

She'd been given a very hard time in the '70s by Christians of all stripes - both conservative and liberal. I felt for her, believe you me.

Her experience in Israel itself was positive, on balance, and her view of the potential of Israel was very upbeat, but certainly not uncritical.

On the Christian attitude to the Jews thing, she was also remarkably positive. She held the RC Church up as an example of how attitudes could change. Without eliding its dire track record in terms of anti-semitism, she felt that recent pronouncements from the Vatican were evidence of a sea-change in Catholic thinking.

Sure, it'll take a while to filter into the pews, these things always do, but she was quite optimistic about the way things were going and the way that the RC Church now regarded the Jews.

It's interesting, don't you think, that the Vatican has experienced something of a change of heart - in a 'progressive', perhaps even radical direction - WITHOUT imbibing the whole superstructure of millenarian speculation or buying into what I maintain is an interpretive grid imposed upon the scriptures - which is effectively what the whole Schofield Reference Bible influenced/promulgated interpretations are.

On a contentious note, perhaps, and one that certainly isn't going to help me make friends and influence people, I don't see why I should take your view of prophecy that seriously, Ender's Shadow, when your blog contains jejune and putative prophecies of a very unconvincing nature.

Sure, I believe in the fulfilment of prophecy, I'm even open to aspects of what you're talking about in terms of an 'anti-Christ' and so on - although there are different ways to understand that.

You are perfectly entitled to your eschatological views, of course, as is Mudfrog and anyone else. Mudfrog, at least, will acknowledge that they are theories and not insist on them having the status of holy writ - although he does cross the line a few times IMHO.

Still, there's no-one single, 'authoritative' interpretation of eschatological issues so you are 'free' as it were, to believe what you like.

Just as long as you don't expect the rest of us to swallow it.

quote:

Of course for those who reject the possibility of a visible return of Christ in glory this is an irrelevant argument.

Please remember that those who don't agree with your particular interpretation of prophecy can and do accept and look forward to the return of Christ in glory.

ETA I should have read Gamaliel's post first before responding. He went into detail.

[ 22. May 2012, 08:24: Message edited by: Niteowl2 ]

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Why, exactly?

The logic is that there are predictions made in the bible that haven't been fulfilled; if the Parousia is to occur, those predictions need to have been fulfilled if God is to be shown to be trustworthy. Therefore the reestablishment of a Jewish state, in fulfilling that prediction, makes the parousia possible in a way that it wasn't before. This is a logical extension of Paul's teaching in 2 Thess that the anti-Christ must appear before the second coming.

Yes, but you don't have to be a pre-mill dispy (very much a Johnny-Come-Lately guest at the eschatological and general theological table) to believe in the literal return of Christ.

You missed the second part of that quote, Mudfrog, which explained that the Jews had been allowed to come back. Even if, as that article suggests, the Church at Rome was mostly Gentile, that does not make for a Gentile Church as a whole. The Church was still mostly centered in Palestine, and when it ventured out into rest of the empire it centered itself around Hellenized synagogues. Rome was an outpost of the Church, not the center.

Romans as a whole, is very difficult to reconcile with your views. Paul is making a plea for inclusion of both Jews and Gentiles in the section your quote, not limiting it to Gentiles. If you really want a Gentile themed letter, you have to look to Galatians. Even this, however, is not your foundation for a mythical Gentile Church, since the Galatians are being forced to accept Jewish practices, and Paul is writing to assure them that becoming Jewish is not necessary. If the Church was a Gentile thing, where is all the confusion then?

There is a reason no serious Scripture scholar is a dispensationalist. It's like the creationism of eschatology.

I think I'll open a book on the date this thread gets moved to 'Dead Horses'.

I'll take my turn insisting that I believe in Christ's return in glory. I just don't accept the "pre-mill dispy" account of matters. It was constructed by extracting all the supposed prophecies from their places in their own books, interpreting them as literally as possible without any understanding of the contexts of those books, stringing together what was never meant to be together, and by filling in the blanks with a rather horrid imagination.

That is not how Scriptural exegesis is done. Each work of the Bible has its own integrity, has its own point to make, and when we admit that the dispy system starts to break down.

quote:
Zach82: interpreting them as literally as possible
Not even that. To me, it looks more like making all kinds of wild substitutions of the text "35 weeks is really 7 years", "the 10 horns stand for the European Union", "the Beast stands for ..." etc. and then saying they've interpreted the text literally.

It's unbiblical bullshit. And when given political power, it's dangerous bullshit.

This:

'There is a reason no serious Scripture scholar is a dispensationalist. It's like the creationism of eschatology.'

[Overused]

And what Zach82 subsequently said.

I'm afraid I find it very, very hard indeed to take anyone seriously as a Bible expositor or church leader or minister in any way, shape or form if they hold to a dipsy dispy position.

I'm sorry, Mudfrog, that cuts you out my friend ... [Disappointed] though it grieves me to say so ... [Waterworks]

I'm sure I'm not worthy to carry your tambourine but I wouldn't want to be part of anything where anyone in leadership was a dispy.

Harsh?

Of course, it doesn't undermine everything else that they say, but I'm afraid it would cast a doubt in my mind over their theological credibility overall.

Sorry old boy ...

It doesn't help when you keep referring to tambourines and my rank in such a sarcastic way, as you have done in the past. If you're going to resort to disparaging The Salvation Army and implying that there is something worthy of commenting on these things in a discussion that has nothing to do with the Army, then I'd rather not make further comment.

quote:
The logic is that there are predictions made in the bible that haven't been fulfilled; if the Parousia is to occur, those predictions need to have been fulfilled if God is to be shown to be trustworthy. Therefore the reestablishment of a Jewish state, in fulfilling that prediction, makes the parousia possible in a way that it wasn't before.

Yes, and the Scriptures show us the earthly government of Israel repeatedly failing to act as God commanded, and repeatedly being overthrown, with two long periods of complete exile. That can happen again.

God isn't bound by our time. God doesn't have to wait for the future. If the current state of Israel were to fail, God's promises would still stand.

I would also want to reflect on this:

That God's covenant stood firm, even when Israel was faithless, and that the existence of the state of Israel today does not necessarily involve God's endorsement on their actions - either political or religious.

The Bible clearly speaks of Israel in existence as a nation when Christ returns. It doesn't say that God approves or supports the government. In fact, Christ comes and changes everything.

The teaching that Christ will come back and establish an earthly Kingdom, restoring the Kingdom to Israel, is not an invention of the Schofield reference Bible nor is it merely an over-literal interpretation. It seems to me to be an entirely rational reflection on the texts.

It also seems to me that some here are very good at deciding what should be taken literally or not. I just wonder upon what grounds you have become so certain.

quote:

The teaching that Christ will come back and establish an earthly Kingdom, restoring the Kingdom to Israel, is not an invention of the Schofield reference Bible nor is it merely an over-literal interpretation

You are right. It dates back (in it's current form) to Edward Irvine and JN Darby.

quote:
The Bible clearly speaks...
The thing is that it doesn't. Once we stop stringing unrelated prophecies together and filling in inconvenient blanks with dispy bible commentaries, none of that stuff is clear at all.

I don't understand how you can speak of a literal return of Christ but then dismiss anything the Bible speaks of in a literal way, as in the nation of Israel.

What do you expect Jesus is going to do when he returns? Sit in church?

[ 22. May 2012, 19:45: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

quote:
quote:
The thing is that it doesn't. Once we stop stringing unrelated prophecies together and filling in inconvenient blanks with dispy bible commentaries, none of that stuff is clear at all.
You'll be telling us next that none of the unrelated prophecies in the OT - Isaiah, Psalms, Micah, etc - have anything to do with the birth of Christ, and that we are taking them all too literally.

That Jesus will return in glory is clear. The details, however, are extremely vague. The problem with dispensationalist theology is that it attempts to fill in the blanks of biblical eschatology with extremely dubious exegetical methods.

For example, much of the Book of Revelation is not even about the future. John was connecting the suffering of the Church in his own day with God's ultimate plan. Dispensationalist theologians, however, take it as a blueprint of the Last Days, and indeed can hardly be bothered to interpret the symbolism of the book in its own context.

quote:
I don't understand how you can speak of a literal return of Christ but then dismiss anything the Bible speaks of in a literal way, as in the nation of Israel.

What do you expect Jesus is going to do when he returns? Sit in church?

Judge the living and the dead, and then rule over his people in the new heavens and the new earth.

quote:
quote:
quote:
You'll be telling us next that none of the unrelated prophecies in the OT - Isaiah, Psalms, Micah, etc - have anything to do with the birth of Christ, and that we are taking them all too literally.
Uh...shall I burst your bubble?

Prophecy is not fortune telling. Prophecy is political commentary. The Hebrew prophets were proclaiming to the people at the time "If you don't stop disobeying God, this will happen." So the predictive nature of prophecy is wholly conditional, in much the same way that a political commentator might say "If we don't do anything about global warming, this will happen."

Jesus Christ inherited this prophetic teaching in his ministry. In so far, as the prophets envisioned a world rooted in covenant obedience to the God of Israel, this vision was perfectly fulfilled in the life and witness of Jesus Christ.

[ 22. May 2012, 22:32: Message edited by: Anglican_Brat ]

Rather than do it myself, may I draw your attention to the extended discussion of the matter by J C Ryle in Chapter 5 of his collected sermons. This lays out a coherent model of biblical interpretation works for me...

I believed that stuff myself at one point, and trust me when I say I am quite aware of the system and how it proponents arrived at their conclusions. But like creationism, the theory can't withstand education very well.

The Old Testament tells the story about a country that's deliberately chosen by God because it is weak, and surrounded by strong bullies. Sometimes it's hard on this country. But repeatedly, we see God saying: "Trust Me, I'm with the weak." And when things seem at their dimmest, He comforts them: "One day, you'll be back in your own country, living in peace. I promise it."

But sometimes the leaders of this country don't trust this promise, and look for an easier way out of the situation. Then the country starts to neglect its God and the people, invents glorious stories about its conquests, and uses weapons to bully other countries.

But clearly, God doesn't like that and He shows it. The leaders should repent, treat their own people better, and trust God instead of weapons.

It's a beautiful story, that also has an important meaning to us: power doesn't win in the end, God sides with the weak. A story that continues into the New Testament.

However, somewhere in the 19th Century, this story got twisted and turned around. Suddenly, it didn't seem to be written for the Jews in that time anymore, but it got transformed in some sort of a code book from which modern day evangelicals could decipher clues of when Jesus would come back. Taking verses out of their context, giving them explicitly different meanings, combining verses that have nothing to do with eachother.

"One day you'll be back in your country, living in peace" becomes: "Jews must become the sole rulers of Israel before Jesus can come back." And "Israel should repent of its ways" becomes "Israel should convert to Christianity."

All this twisting and turning leads to a weird, convoluted timeline:
  1. The Jews become the sole rulers of Israel.
  2. The Jews stop being Jews, and convert to Christianity (or 144.000 of them, I never get that part right).
  3. Jesus comes back.
It's stupid in its silliness. It turns Jesus into a childish figure. And it's more than a little anti-semitic.

For a while, this idea stayed pretty much underground, until in the second half of the 20th Century, when it got mixed up with politics. It resulted in a largely unconditional support of evangelicals for Israel's policies, a country which became more and more of a bully to his neighbours.

In doing this, Israel is doing exactly what God forbade it time and time again in the Old Testament. It trusts on military power, it neglects the stranger in its own land, it's become increasingly haughty and arrogant. All the things that God was against in the OT.

To me, the only solution can come if Israel starts to trust in God again, instead of on its weapons and on stronger countries. In modern terms that means: don't rely on sustained (and often deliberatly provoked) conflict to achieve your goals, but try to achieve safety by making real peace with your neighbours.

What we can do, who are living in the West, is to stop the unconditional support to Israel. "You want our support? Military aid? In the UN? Ok, we won't stop that right away, but there are going to be some conditions. The most important one: real commitment to the peace process."

This to me is the real Theology of the Land. In fact, I find it profoundly prophetic. And this is taking the Bible seriously.

quote:
It also seems to me that some here are very good at deciding what should be taken literally or not. I just wonder upon what grounds you have become so certain.

Really? I would say it's the pre-trib dispensationalists and other 'prophecy scholars' who pick and choose in a more or less arbitrary manner which bits are literal, and then show amazing certainty about their results, despite the fact that they can't even agree with each other.

Like Zach, I used to believe that stuff. What you get is non-literal interpretation of Scripture as soon as it doesn't fit whatever extra-Biblical schema you're using.

Obviously 'Israel' means a literal state of Israel, but 'Babylon the Great' doesn't refer to Babylon at all, but to Rome or New York or Mecca or wherever the current bogeyman lurks.

The lengths of time in Daniel refer to actual lengths of time (albeit multiplied by a factor of something unspecified), but the Jehovah's Witnesses are considered laughably absurd for believing that 144,000 will be saved means that 144,000 will be saved.

When the Israelites are exile in Babylon and Assyria, and a prophet tells them that Yahweh will bring them back from the nations in which He has scattered them, that obviously doesn't mean Babylon and Assyria, but the completely separate dispersal after the destruction of the Temple by the Romans.

Occasionally you hear that prophecy is like looking at three mountains, each one bigger than the last: you can see forests and snow on each of them, but you can't tell what belongs to which mountain. (Google 'mountain peaks of prophecy' for what I mean.) Great analogy! But there's no evidence in Scripture to suggest this is how prophecy should be interpreted.

I might have slightly more sympathy if 'prophecy scholars' could actually come to consistent conclusions using these methods. But in fact they squabble furiously among themselves about whether there will be a Rapture, and the length and nature and divisions and existence of the Great Tribulation.

The 'prophecy scholars' don't know what they believe, they don't know why they believe it, and yet they still feel certain enough about it to lobby American foreign policy. This is what seems to me dangerous.

@Mudfrog, apologies for teasing you. I meant no offence. [Hot and Hormonal]

For the record, I have a lot of time for the Salvation Army and have defended them time and again against some of the more sacramentally prescriptive posters on these Boards. I happen to know RC priests and other more sacramentally inclined people in real life (not here on Ship) who share my respect and admiration for the Army - as I'm sure you do too.

If I tease you it'd only be the same as the way I sometimes tease Quakers for their silence or Anglo-Catholics for their tat. I pretty much tease everybody, it's one of my many faults. You're probably only most fully aware of this when it's aimed in your direction.

[Hot and Hormonal]

On the prophecy thing - I do believe in prophecy and I do believe that Christ fulfilled the prophecies that we find in the OT - Isaiah, Micah etc. But I don't see this happening in a woodenly 'linear' way in some instances. So, what seems to have happened is that the disciples applied some of the prophecies and types to Christ because they observed what he was doing and made connections. In some instances Christ himself was explicit about these, in others they seem to have put two-and-two together - often in ways that we might find a little 'forced' if we're honest.

Now, I do believe that they were led and guided by God the Holy Spirit in all of this - but at the same time it doesn't stop being a human activity. It's a synergy thing.

Just as Christ is fully God and fully man at one and the same time, I believe that the scriptures are both the word of God AND a human production at one and the same time - and, moreover, that the Church too is both a human and divine organism as it were - full of redeemed sinners and nincompoops but also the people of God ...

So, in the same way, an Old Testament prophecy can have a contemporary fulfilment or application in its own time and frame of reference - which the Isaiah and other prophecies certainly had - and be capable of wider interpretation or 'fulfilment' if you like in terms of Christology etc.

Am I making sense?

What I don't see if the OT prophecies and their NT glosses and interpretations as offering a blow-by-blow systematic blue-print about what to expect before the return of Christ.

We can believe in a literal Parousia without having to take an over-realised or overly futuristic view of the Book of Revelation or certain tantalising passages in the Gospels, for instance.

All that said, there appears to be a level of physical detail there that gives me pause - such as the references to an actual 'man of sin' rather than, say, to a general 'sin principle' or something disembodied of that kind.

But I find some of the dispensationalist attempts to fit all of this stuff into a neat and systematic schema both unconvincing and often downright risible. If you'd heard some of the things that were preached at the Gospel Hall I sometimes attended in my late teens/early 20s you'd chuckle too. Scriptures torn out of context and applied to the number of aerials on the latest Israeli tank, an increase in the vulture population in the Negev Desert backed up by proof positive from The Reader's Digest ...

Ok, I'm not accusing you of such howlers, but the interpretive tradition you seem to represent leads to that sort of stuff and produces it in spades.

If I've offended you, I apologise. But I maintain my ground on the rest of it.

Sorry to double-post, but I've been thinking about this:

'It also seems to me that some here are very good at deciding what should be taken literally or not. I just wonder upon what grounds you have become so certain.'

I can only speak for myself, Mudfrog, but I tend to take the 'that believed everywhere and by all' approach to a certain extent - something I've picked up from the more Catholic traditions on these Boards.

Consequently, whilst all Trinitarian Christians believe in the deity of Christ and the deity of the Spirit, for instance - or are supposed to - [Biased] it's obvious that not everyone agrees on secondary issues such as eschatology.

Some people, like your good self, take a more literal approach to certain passages (and interpret them, I maintain, through a particular theological grid) whilst others don't.

Consequently, my inclination is not to go with the idiosyncratic and the partial (ie. your approach in this particular instance), but with the closest I can find to a consensus.

In this case there is more of a consensus among the historic churches and the traditional denominations. There ain't a great deal of difference, it seems to me, between the line taken by the classic Reformed churches, the RCs and the Orthodox on this one. So I reckon I'm on safer ground by siding with them on this particular point than I would be following the more idiosyncratic interpretations favoured by Irvine, Darby and those who adopt millenarian positions today.

Sorry about that.

Of course, I am selective in how I apply this principle. So I wouldn't write off all innovations and developments.

But to all intents and purposes, on the Big Issues, I am inclined to side with the broad sweep of Christian tradition rather than adopt personal or idiosyncratic interpretations.

To coin a phrase you've used before and adapt it to my purposes, it isn't so much that I want a 'Patriarch to tell me what to believe' as much as I trust the collective judgement of generations of Christians (of all stripes) more than I trust individual 'revelation' or personal interpretations such as that represented by the whole dispensationalist package.

The whole thing lends itself to whacky interpretations and time-wasting debates over details about seven years of this and times-and-times-and-half-a-time of that.

That doesn't mean that the more traditional mob don't have their own problems. Of course they do. But loose-cannon eschatological speculation isn't among them and its one less thing I'd rather worry about thank you very much.

Yes, I believe in the literal return of Christ. I'm just not as literal on the detail as you are.

I prefer to be broader-brush that way.

Posted by South Coast Kevin (# 16130) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
...This to me is the real Theology of the Land. In fact, I find it profoundly prophetic. And this is taking the Bible seriously.

quote:
I would say it's the pre-trib dispensationalists and other 'prophecy scholars' who pick and choose in a more or less arbitrary manner which bits are literal... What you get is non-literal interpretation of Scripture as soon as it doesn't fit whatever extra-Biblical schema you're using.

[Overused]

Thanks, both of you. I'll certainly be drawing from these arguments of yours next time I get into conversation with a pre-trib dispensationalist (which does happen every now and then, though not with people in my particular church).

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

I can only speak for myself, Mudfrog, but I tend to take the 'that believed everywhere and by all' approach to a certain extent - something I've picked up from the more Catholic traditions on these Boards.

Yes, they did that to Martin Luther as well, I believe.

So?

What are you saying, Mudfrog? That the dispensationalists are on the same level as one of the great Reformers? That a dispensationalist interpretation is potentially on the same level, in Protestant terms, as justification by grace through faith? You're having me on if you believe that ...

While we're at it, even Lutherans will acknowledge that the guy went too far by trying to tear out bits of the Bible that didn't appear to fit his particular schema. No doubt, though, you'll accuse us non-dispies of doing the same when we don't apply Daniel, the Book of Revelation and so on to the kind of over-literal and over-realised interpretations current in some circles.

If this all sounds very 'Catholic' to you then you obviously hadn't noticed (or chose to ignore) my comment that I apply this principle selectively. I am still a Protestant, after all, and not RC or Orthodox.

But I maintain that the broad principle still stands.

Even with a more Protestant hermeneutic I think one can pick dirty great big holes in the dispensationalist position.

You seem to be working with a model of prophecy that goes from the past, through the NT, to the present and then on into the future.

I'm suggesting that it tends to work the other way around. That after the great 'Christ event', the life, death and glorious resurrection and ascension of Christ, the disciples/early Church understood the promises to Israel in a new light. They interpreted them through the new lens, as it were, of Christ the Messiah and, as the Apostle Paul articulates in the epistle to the Romans, came to appreciate that the Gentiles were grafted in too.

The Vatican certainly seems to have shifted its ground on its attitude to Jewry in recent years an that's very welcome in my view. But they haven't done so by imbibing dispensationalist emphases but by working things through in the context of their own tradition and allowing that tradition to inform and direct their thinking.

Ok, I recognise that this leaves some loose ends untied but I can live with it. I don't have to have everything battened down and neatly packaged.

[Roll Eyes]

I'm not saying that there aren't times when someone shouldn't make a stand and challenge the accepted status quo - 'Athanasius contra mundum' -

Nor am I saying that enthusiastic or pietistic groups such as the Salvation Army, the Brethren, the Quakers, the Pentecostals or whoever else don't have a role to play in challenging or reminding the 'mainstream' of some core facets of the Gospel or neglected emphases etc.

I just don't buy the pre-millenialist, dispensationalist thing. If you want to hold that as a personal opinion then that's fine, that's your right and your eccentricity .. [Big Grin] ... just don't go round promulgating it as if it's the last word on the matter or the TruthTM of Holy Writ.

Am I making any sense?

quote:
quote:

Yes, they did that to Martin Luther as well, I believe.
I think there's a fairly good case that can be put forward for Luther subscribing to the Vincentian Canon and the medieval Catholic Church having departed from it...doubtless our Catholic Shippies will disagree with me there but just sayin'...!

Gamaliel said:
quote:
I just don't buy the pre-millenialist, dispensationalist thing. If you want to hold that as a personal opinion then that's fine, that's your right and your eccentricity .. ... just don't go round promulgating it as if it's the last word on the matter or the TruthTM of Holy Writ.
I understand your drift Gamaliel.

I have come from the Open Brethren and we were weaned on J.N. Derby etc etc etc. Happy or not so happy memories as boy and man trying to understand Ezekiel chapters 38 and 39 (Gog Magog etc etc).

I feel more comfortable these days with the Messianic theology of the ''olive tree'' which to be fair incorporates some elements of classic pre millennium dispensationalism - but note, not all!!!!!

I do feel that the ''pan'' approach to Israel and the land might be a good way to go . That is it will all pan out OK in the end [Roll Eyes]

One aspect of dispensational theology I don't like is that it can lead to this very formulaic approach and I think many Jewish believers in Christ (and others too) feel that they are almost pre programmed to act in particular ways and say specific things; life just a'int like that. This is for me the main weakness with J.N. Derby etc. but I would say that we must be careful not to throw out the proverbial baby with the bath water here - the Jewish people do have a part to play in God's end time economy. But maybe not in such a deterministic and planned way as some may think.

Saul

quote:
So?

What are you saying, Mudfrog? That the dispensationalists are on the same level as one of the great Reformers? That a dispensationalist interpretation is potentially on the same level, in Protestant terms, as justification by grace through faith? You're having me on if you believe that ...

Are people deliberately missing point?

The point was that Martin Luther - and anyone else for that matter - who had a theological thought that didn't have the imprimateur on it would have had a hard time getting past the 'but we've always thought like this, so you're wrong' philosophy.

I was in no way suggesting that anyone came close to the heights of the Reformation fathers. I was simply suggesting that just because an idea is a new or minority view when it first is espoused, doesn't mean it is wrong.

Just think of all the different theologies that have developed since the nineteenth century; are they all wrong too because they are not everywhere believed?

[ 23. May 2012, 19:29: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

And while we going about me interpreting Scripture in the light of the Schofield Reference Bible - something I don't possess or have even read; and while there is the charge that the Bible is being read by me through a grid of dispensationalist nonsense, can I suggest that my own theological views are being interpreted by you in the light of your experience with some very dodgy sounding brethren and charismatic beliefs - none of which I subscribe to.

I have read most of the stuff in the posts above and thought, 'well I don't believe that either, particularly!'

It seems to me that you are assuming that because I simply believe in the restored nation of Israel being an element of fulfilled prophecy in the run up to the second coming, I automatically subscribe to the stuff you saw and heard in Brethren meetings. It doesn't follow at all.

I think you'll find that I've couched my comments in terms like, 'I'm not accusing you of doing this, but ...' and so on.

I am well aware that you don't share some of the whackier interpretations found among full-on dispensationalist outfits like the Brethren. Although, I understand from Kaplan Corday that the Brethren assemblies where he is at least appear to have moved on from dispensationalism now and pretty much hold what might be termed more 'mainstream' views on eschatology ...

[Biased]

As for the 'heights' that the Reformers reached - well, that all depends on your perspective of course. They were a pretty mixed bunch, just like anyone else.

And of course I understood your point that just because something has developed more recently than the last Ecumenical Council (however many we consider there to have been) it is automatically wrong.

I didn't assert any such thing and if you'd read my post properly you would have recognised that.

What I said was that as a general principle I tend to operate by the rule of thumb that when it comes to the Big Issues it is wisest to go with the broad consensus and thrust of the Church Universal - or Christendom in general as it were. And I gave some examples to show what I meant.

Consequently, I'd take a stand on the major creeds but wouldn't go to the stake over peripheral issues such as eschatological theories.

I don't hold these to be of prime importance and you'll notice that I respect your right to hold the views you do, even if I think they're a tad on the eccentric side. Which I do.

As for the particular charismatic group that I was involved with and their eschatology - well, in lots of ways it was a lot less whacky than yours.

We were certainly over-egged and over-realised to some extent - and in different ways - but broadly we were within the envelope, as it were, of what I'd consider to be the broad consensus of Christian opinion on these matters. Rather similar to the views that Zach82 and others have expressed here.

The only groups that I am aware of that hold anything near a pre-millenial dispensationalist position are highly conservative to the point of fundamentalism - if not out-and-out actual fundamentalists.

Show me one serious theologian who holds a pre-millenial dispensationalist position.

[Biased]

quote:
The point was that Martin Luther - and anyone else for that matter - who had a theological thought that didn't have the imprimateur on it would have had a hard time getting past the 'but we've always thought like this, so you're wrong' philosophy.

Actually that's not true of Luther (or most of the other Reformers of the Magisterial stripe), large chunks of his written work consist of tracing his theological thoughts back to Augustine and the other church fathers.

quote:

Just think of all the different theologies that have developed since the nineteenth century; are they all wrong too because they are not everywhere believed?

The ones that are right are generally extensions of existing theologies, the rest are mostly garbage.

Well, Chris ... dispensationalists would claim to be going 'back to the source' too, of course. On previous discussions about these issues Jamat has quoted Patristic sources to 'prove' that the Fathers had a millenialist approach.

To an extent, I would agree that millenarian views did go back to antiquity. I've seen some Orthodox acknowledge as much on Orthodox discussion boards (not here, elsewhere). I think it was Justin Martyr (I'm not very up on the early Saints and so on) or someone similar who held very millenarian style beliefs and claimed apostolic imprimatur as he claimed he'd received it from John the Apostle.

I think it is clear that millenial and imminent-return beliefs were current in the early centuries. The Montanist controversy was as much about an over-realised eschatology and whacko eschatological views as it was over pneumatology and putative prophecies.

Equally, the initial reluctance of some of the Eastern Churches to accept the canonicity of Revelation points to a concern that people would get all kinds of eccentric views by taking it literally and using it to map out future projections.

This ties in with the 'that believed everywhere and by all' approach too, of course. The sense of conciliarity and consensus.

I don't doubt that views that could be taken as precursors of later dispensationalist thought circulated much earlier. But they don't ever appear to have been a majority view and the broad sweep and thrust of Christian teaching - as you'll know better than me as a clever bloke - didn't incline in this direction at all.

It's often been said that many dispensationalists would be shocked if they realised that many of their pet theories were based on the writings of a 16th century Jesuit with a bee in his bonnet about these things.

But then, I've come across some dispies who seem cool with that. Such is their selectivity.

[Biased]

@Mudfrog, while I'm at it, I didn't say that you were interpreting the scriptures through an interpretative grid derived from the Schofield Reference Bible. The interpretative grid that you're using goes back further, of course, it was simply popularised and promulgated further by the Schofield Reference Bible. But it's still an interpretative grid all the same ...

In fairness, though, I certainly wouldn't accuse you of falling foul of what I see as some of the more nefarious effects (or side-effects) of dispensationalism. Its effect in Brethren terms, as far as I could make out as a young man, was to effectively to rule out any practical application of the Beatitudes and to project any of the moral or practical teachings of Christ onto other people beside ourselves.

So, the Sermon on the Mount was intended for the pre-Christian period and not for us, whole swathes of the Gospel only had a future application and only a tiny proportion of the NT appeared to be of present day import.

Now, that's certainly not the case with the Salvation Army, far from it. If anyone takes the Sermon on the Mount and the moral and ethical teachings of Christ seriously, it's the Sally Army - and yes, I'm aware that there isn't any 'official' or standard Army 'line' on eschatology.

You may be right that I have something of a gripe about the whole thing, which is why I've been giving you such a hard time. I'd accept that. I'd also accept that some of the more 'out there' aspects of dispensationalism don't apply to you.

But I still have an issue with it as an interpretative model. It doesn't mean that I've got anything 'against' you though, and I do apologise for some of the teasing and intemperate tone I've adopted during this discussion.

quote:
Well, Chris ... dispensationalists would claim to be going 'back to the source' too, of course. On previous discussions about these issues Jamat has quoted Patristic sources to 'prove' that the Fathers had a millenialist approach.

Sure, though MudFrog was arguing on the basis of his view being fairly recent in origin.

There are a (very) few references to millenialist ideas in the fathers, but most of them tended to be historic pre-millenialists of some kind (as was JC Ryle who Ender quoted earlier).

quote:
Mudfrog: The point was that Martin Luther - and anyone else for that matter - who had a theological thought that didn't have the imprimateur on it would have had a hard time getting past the 'but we've always thought like this, so you're wrong' philosophy.
"Just because you're a lone caller in the desert, that doesn't mean you're right."

(I'm sure that's a quote from someone, but I can't remember from whom [Biased] )

I'm wondering which recent theological developments ie. post-19th century, that Mudfrog has in mind that might be worthy of all acceptation.

Let's see ... Sea of Faith liberalism? I wouldn't have thought so.

John Hicks and his 'Myth of God Incarnate'? Hardly.

Pentecostalism? Perhaps some aspects ... but it's essentially an extension of earlier Holiness spirituality with roots in 18th century pietism.

I'm wondering what developments he's actually referring to ...

For the record, I think all of us have welcomed the insights of modern contextual studies and Biblical criticism. The discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls have shed much light on the context of first century Judaism and the milieu in which Christianity arose.

But all the positive developments that I can think of are more a case of light shone on old treasures rather than innovations per se.

The emphasis on women's ministry and on equality has to be a good thing too - but again, one could argue that this was already latent within the 'tradition' ... that's probably a more debatable point but there are earlier echoes here too.

Meanwhile, and I know I posted late and it's still early, I'm waiting for Mudfrog to name me one serious theologian who holds to a dispensationalist position ...

quote:
I'm wondering which recent theological developments ie. post-19th century, that Mudfrog has in mind that might be worthy of all acceptation.

Let's see ... Sea of Faith liberalism? I wouldn't have thought so.

John Hicks and his 'Myth of God Incarnate'? Hardly.

Pentecostalism? Perhaps some aspects ... but it's essentially an extension of earlier Holiness spirituality with roots in 18th century pietism.

I'm wondering what developments he's actually referring to ...

For the record, I think all of us have welcomed the insights of modern contextual studies and Biblical criticism. The discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls have shed much light on the context of first century Judaism and the milieu in which Christianity arose.

But all the positive developments that I can think of are more a case of light shone on old treasures rather than innovations per se.

The emphasis on women's ministry and on equality has to be a good thing too - but again, one could argue that this was already latent within the 'tradition' ... that's probably a more debatable point but there are earlier echoes here too.

Meanwhile, and I know I posted late and it's still early, I'm waiting for Mudfrog to name me one serious theologian who holds to a dispensationalist position ...

Isn't it interesting and quite revealing how you slip in phrases that show your prejudice? You ask me to answer your question but your question tells me what sort of answer is going to be acceptable to you before I tap a single key!

You ask me what the recent, post 19th century theologies might be - a fair question thus far, but then you add the rider 'that might be worthy of all acceptation.'

Does that mean these theologies have to be acceptable to everyone? Why can't they be recent theologies that are worthy of consideration, whether you accept them or not??

Anyway, I was thinking of liberation theology, black theology, feminist theology, womanist theology, ecological (creation) theology and the like.

And as for the last question, repeated as it has been: "I'm waiting for Mudfrog to name me one serious theologian who holds to a dispensationalist position." You hold the card there Mtr G because you are going to decide who is, and who is not, a 'serious' theologian! It sounds a bit elitist to me - what is the criteria for a 'serious theologian'? I think I already know the answer - catholic, liberal, and non-evangelical. My goodness! I've seen even Barth and Moltmann criticised on the Ship so who am I going to be able to put forward who will be acceptable to the rather sniffy, dust-inhaling, incestuous dwellers of theological academia?

I have to tell you however that I didn't study dispensationalism for my theology degree and so I am afraid I cannot name any academics in that field - though doubtless there will be some fine minds who espouse it.

[Biased]

I do like to play with words and phrases so the 'worthy of all acceptation' thing was part of that. I was stringing you along to some extent.

In seriousness, I'm applying the 'that believed everywhere and by all' thing as a general principle. It doesn't mean I think that everyone should sign up to identical beliefs on every issue we can think of. That doesn't even happen among the Orthodox who are big on the conciliarity thing.

And, as it happens, I'd also be open to the insights of the groups/movements you mention - feminist theology, black theology, liberation theology ...

I'd suggest, though, that there is a difference between saying something like: 'Women have been marginalised in the church and in society, here is something we can do to rectify that ...' and 'This is the definitive take on eschatology and the obvious way that things will pan out before the return of Christ because it's so blindingly obvious from the Bible ...'

I'm not suggesting that you're saying as much. But you do write as though you believe dispensationalism to be more than a 'theory' at times - even though you clearly accept that this is what it is - at best.

As for academic theology, well, I'm with the Orthodox in the view that theology should be done in the churches, among the people of faith. 'The one who prays, he is the theologian,' is one of their more folksy dictums (dicta?) and one which I would completely endorse.

I'd certainly be open to the views of evangelical theologians. Heck, give me an evangelical theologian any day of the week rather than an uber-liberal one who picks it all to pieces.

But even within the broadly evangelical constituency, I would suggest that dispensationalism isn't a view that has a lot of 'academic' weight behind it. There may well be some fine minds among those who hold it, but I'm sure the same is true among those who believe that the earth is flat or that the moon is made of green cheese ... [Biased]

No, I am teasing there, of course. I'm trying to think of a discipline I'm aware of where there are some theories that are considered but seen as ultimately eccentric. There will be examples in most disciplines, whether among the humanities or the sciences.

Dispensationalism is one of those. Forgive me, but it's a bit 'Janet & John'. As Zach82 has pithily observed, it's the 'Creationism of eschatology.'

You're going to tell me that you're a literal Six-Day Creationist next ... [Biased] [Razz]

You might be right, though, that there were/are people with fine minds in the dispensationalist camp. I know F F Bruce was Brethren and very conservative - yet respected and admired as a Biblical scholar beyond his own constituency. He might have been a dispensationalist, as far as I know. And even if he was it wouldn't have obviated anything else he might have held that was more widely accepted.

I have been exaggerating a bit to make a point - that's my posting style. But I still think that dispensationalism is a pretty marginal position, for all its popularity. I wouldn't insult you by suggesting that if you thought it through properly you'd reject it ...

[Razz]

But I am suggesting that it is something that thrives in the rather humid margins rather than the mainstream.

@Gamaliel - I do have a lot of sympathy with @Mudfrog's position re your criticism of his theology. You appear to be trying to appeal to history and general orthodox beliefs (without really explaining what that means - for example how do you address the issue that the Orthodox rejected the book of Revelation altogether for a long time (I am no expert, I just read about this the other day)) whilst at the same time suggesting he (mudfrog) should take account of recent thinking.

So you want him to do both accept the old and accept the new. And you state this in such a way as to imply it is obvious which one should accept and which one should reject. And then you claim you are not doing this whilst continuing to do it.

I think @mudfrog's theology is utter bunk. But please stop appealing to history and authority when he clearly doesn't accept the paradigms you are working from. It is just silly.

Well, a fair call perhaps, the long ranger.

I don't have a big issue, as it happens, with the Orthodox not accepting Revelation into the canon until comparatively late. The reason they didn't do so earlier was precisely to avoid people getting the sort of funny ideas that Mudfrog is coming up with.

As for us operating from different paradigms and frameworks, well, yes we are to some extent, but I'd still maintain that with a shared evangelical heritage Mudfrog and myself have plenty of common ground. I've certainly got more in common with him than I would have with a Spong-ite liberal.

To be honest, I've struggled to express myself adequately on this thread and consequently I can understand Mudfrog's annoyance - and your calling me on aspects of what I've written. Fair enough in both cases.

I will confess to a certain amount of irritation with evangelicals who hold to a dispie position. As Mudfrog has correctly diagnosed, this comes down to exposure to loopy-doopy views in the past.

I still maintain that dispensationalism is untenable and depends on reading the scriptures through a particular interpretive lens. But I'd also maintain that we ALL read the scriptures through one form of lens or other. None of us have 20/20 vision and besides, as someone who has moved further up the candle in a lot of ways, I'm not sure that there's such a dichotomy between scripture and tradition as many evangelicals make out. On one level scripture IS tradition ...

But it's a complex issue, of course.

© Ship of Fools 2016