homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Kitchen tools you can't cook without. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kitchen tools you can't cook without.
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. Image was doing the dishes the other night and observed that he almost always ended up washing my two handled strainer, and the kitchen shears. He was puzzled as to why I was always using these two items, no matter what I was cooking. After thinking about it I realized he was right. Among other things,I strain greens after washing them, run warm water over frozen shrimp to thaw, drain pasta water, wash fruit, and drain canned food all using my strainer. I open boxes, chop herbs, cut twine for trussing a bird, cut the plastic wrap off of cheese, and trim the ends off of green beans and many other kitchen jobs with the shears. What are your favorite kitchen tools?
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spatula (for stir-frying, pancake flipping, rice-cooker-gouging out, batter-bowl-scraping-out) and a deep frying pan which can double as a sauce pan. Eee, I've forgotten the hot water pot. Instant near-boiling water is useful for a million things.

[ 23. August 2012, 22:42: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am still using the wooden handled paring knife that my mother had before me for almost all my cutting needs. I only get the big knife out for Thanksgiving's turkey. I'm guessing it's about fifty years old.
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another paring knife fan, although mine doesn't come with as much history.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Things I can't cook without:

-My mom's 50-year-old potato masher
-A contact grill
-My gimmicky little egg poacher, a coated, raised platform with four indentations for the eggs. You place the thing in a pan with a couple inches of water, bring the water to a simmer, break the eggs into the indentations -- perfect poached eggs that slide right out of the poacher.
-Wooden spoons. Baked goods just don't seem the same when the batter/dough isn't stirred with wooden spoons.;-)

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can opener. [Razz]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glass rolling pin - but since I have a feeling the much-beloved Heavenly Hosts shudder at Heaven threads which become simply lists - I like a glass rolling pin because I can add a measure of cold water to it, changing its weight for a variety of different tasks.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a melamine spoon that has a flat edge, it's perfect for stirring soup, browning onions etc as the flat edge scrapes as the spoon stirs. It just seems to be the perfect size and fits in the hand nicely.

Sadly melamine is out of fashion now due to safety concerns, if I ever break this i don't know what I'll do.

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From today's Sydney Morning Herald...

This

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My 8" chef knife and 9" iron skillet would see me through if I had nothing else in my kitchen. They were the last items to be packed in my recent move, and the first to be unpacked.

I allow no unitaskers in my kitchen. I simply don't have the room. So I find myself using various tools for strange things sometimes. Like using a pastry blender as a potato masher.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cryptic:
I have a melamine spoon that has a flat edge, it's perfect for stirring soup, browning onions etc as the flat edge scrapes as the spoon stirs.

Like my strong plastic spatula with a broad straight end – I can do perfect non-sloppy scrambled eggs only if I have it to scrape the bottom of the pot as the egg sets.
But we wonder how any household can function without a Little Red-handled Screwdriver™. The blade is 5mm wide, rounded and blunted; it is useful for inserting under the edge of a screw-cap to release the seal without damaging it, or for anything where delicate poking or prying is needed, such as pushing a rag into a space that can otherwise not be cleaned. And in a thousand other tricky situations.

GG

[ 24. August 2012, 04:03: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My self-locking, silicone-tipped tongs, which are good for turning pieces of meat you are browning; serving stuff; tossing and serving salads. We're eating a lot of salads lately, so I should include the salad spinner (device for drying washed greens). And my two Cutco knives -- a paring knife and the "petite carver" size. I use one or the other every day. Superb quality. (But if you're going to purchase one, order it on-line. They do in-home sales, employ young college kids on commission, and train them to be extremely aggressive. But the product is good.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto, I'm a kitchen charismatic - my life was transformed the day I received the gift of tongs...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A butcher's steel is essential for sharpening knives. And knives must be kept sharp, very sharp indeed.

I think it comes with being the son of a fishmonger. the sharpness of knives used in that profession has carried over into my kitchen.

A good sharpening steel is longer than the longest knife you own. If you get a knife set with a steel shorter than the knife blade, throw the steel away. You want long, heavy and magnetised.

There are two ways to use it, point down against a chopping board, and sharpen the knives blade downwards, or (if you can find a professional to train you) with the blade towards your hand — not recommended for novices — but it gets the best edge.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has to be my spatula for all those flippin jobs
Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phone.

AtB Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zester for zesting limes and lemons. Oranges too.

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Boston shaker.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Sharp Knives for all manner of preparation; the Big Spoons for turning, stirring and serving.

These are the primordial implements. Society got by without the fork for all but the last few hundred years.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx-e found this tool helpful
code:
 Phone 

[Killing me]
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Pyx-e found this tool helpful
code:
 Phone 

[Killing me]
Use it every Friday night to make pizza.

AtB Pyx_e (3 hours to go)

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
There are two ways to use it, point down against a chopping board, and sharpen the knives blade downwards, or (if you can find a professional to train you) with the blade towards your hand — not recommended for novices — but it gets the best edge.

I prefer stone or ceramic. One can sharpen a very long blade on a very short stone/steel, but it is not ideal.
The key to sharpening, IMO, is maintaining a consistent angle.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My silicone spatula. How ever did I scrape out bowls before I had it?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been giving sales pitches for small toaster ovens to anyone who will listen for some time now. Feeling lazy and need a snack? Two corn tortillas and some cheese are all you need for a passable quesadilla that will be ready in five minutes. Need an extra starch for dinner so that there will be more leftovers the next day but don't want to heat up the whole house or tend to a rice pot? Poke some holes in a sweet potato, pop it in, set the timer for an hour, and take the dog for a walk. Fancy a fancy sandwich shop toasted sandwich? Got you covered. I didn't have one until recently, but they are awesome.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Serrated knife. It chops lots of things, cuts them, opens packets, severs string and rubber bands, and stays sharper far longer than a non-serrated knife.

Microwave. Invaluable for defrosting, warming up, re-heating, quick boiling, and occasionally, cooking.

My glass casserole dish, with lid. I bought this when I was a student and it has served me extremely well as an all-purpose utensil over the decades. The dish has had roasts, crumbles, casseroles, puddings, soups etc in it, while the lid has been very useful as an improvised pie dish, or for putting stuff in to go under the grill, or in the microwave, and could then serve as a heated-up plate.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Combination microwave - which I use more than my main oven - and two of my parents/grandparents knives - one with a long curved blade, the other a breadsaw which is perfect for carving meat.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A teeny, tiny stainless steel grater, used for garlic, for cheese, for limes, nutmeg, etc.
It came on the top of a shower present to my wife 40 years ago, with a note reading:
"You may think Loquacious beachcomber is great, but this is a little grater."
Use it just about every time I cook!

[ 24. August 2012, 19:16: Message edited by: Loquacious beachcomber ]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
From today's Sydney Morning Herald...

This

Which includes
Or the egg separator - a contraption into which you broke an egg to catch the yolk while the white dribbled down the sides - some once swore was an absolute necessity in the kitchen?
which has now been superceded by this

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
John D. Ward
Shipmate
# 1378

- Posted      Profile for John D. Ward   Email John D. Ward   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sadly melamine is out of fashion now due to safety concerns, if I ever break this i don't know what I'll do.

Buy second-hand.

Melamine spoons on eBay Australia

Posts: 208 | From: Swansea, Wales, U.K. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My large collection of original corningware pieces. All oven, microwave and dishwasher safe.

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
My 8" chef knife...

I have one of those, too! (Plus the standard big one.) When I worked the hot line at a restaurant many years ago, I got that for some of the fiddly chopping. The men all laughed at me and my little knife, until they saw how handy it was. They all ended up borrowing it from me. Wouldn't be without it!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A broiler pan. One with a decent rack. It must be able to both bake (heat from the bottom element) and broil (heat from the top element).

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Photo Geek:
My large collection of original corningware pieces. All oven, microwave and dishwasher safe.

AND stovetop safe. I love mine.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a lovely knife that I used for everything and then one day, my wife Jennifer who really knows better, used my favorite knife to try to chop up some very frozen chicken. The tip of the knife snapped off and I was so annoyed with her--then she went and bought me one of those ceramic-bladed knives that supposedly never needs sharpening (ha!). It's not as good as the knife she ruined but alas, we have many other things to purchase and have not gotten around to buying a set of kitchen knives. [Frown]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I have my Mother's 4 piece set. All lidless now, unfortunately, but the bowls are so useful for so many things. I remember how pleased she was to get this at Christmas 1958. Or maybe her birthday.

Every time I use one, I remember my Mother.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PeteC: Isn't it weird the things we remember? Someone here was talking about a wooden-handle paring knife and that made me think of my mom's wooden-handle paring knife. Then I thought of Corningware and Pyrex. My mom had a bunch of Pyrex bowls and a small measuring cup. Simple things, in the great scheme of life but just remembering brings back fond memories... my mother died in 1979 when I was twelve.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my cast iron! the 9 inch pan I inherited from my grandmother through my mother; the 12 inch handed down from a friend downsizing; the 6 inch I found all rusted out behind an abandoned cabin; and my favorite: a giant wok that I bought new myself! I can cook anything in that bad boy.

also - my large brass mortar and pestle - for spices and herbs, and for when the power is out and I need to grind coffee. The pestle is so heavy and badass I always figure I'll go for that if I need to defend myself.

and then there's the knife set I bought myself after my divorce. Okay, I bought it for looks, but the knives are so damn good I'll never use another brand - novelty be damned. (besides, it's a great conversation piece!)

the alaskan birch cutting board my mother made me (because all retired grannies have a wood shop, right?) because it's tough, doesn't warp, doesn't hold smells or mildew, and has my name carved on it.

finally - going towards more modern implements - the little garlic choppity choppity thingie. I don't know what it's called, but it's cheap plastic with a zig zaggy blade and you smack the crap out of the top and it pulverizes the garlic. good shit.

honorable mentions to the blender, the giant chest freezer that could hold 3 adult human bodies, and the meat grinder. the uses of these three items are not necessarily related.

I admit nothing.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The way I cook it would be the rubbish bin. I do the dishes. Except when Kuruman's away, like now, when I burn prepackaged objects in a frying pan, meaning that steelo pads become indispensible.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
and then there's the knife set I bought myself after my divorce. Okay, I bought it for looks, but the knives are so damn good I'll never use another brand - novelty be damned. (besides, it's a great conversation piece!)

[Killing me] I spit all over my computer screen! And snorted several times! I want one.

I have a (cheap) set of stainless steel mixing bowls, and one or more are used almost every day. They aren't pretty, but they are really useful! Mixing stuff, of course! Fruit bowl, cereal bowl, float the broken flowers in water bowl, let the little kids bang on something bowl. Yup. Pretty good investment lo these many years ago.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Why is it? I've been trying everywhere recently to get a melamine chopping board, but they all seem to be either wood, glass or plastic.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
I've been giving sales pitches for small toaster ovens to anyone who will listen for some time now.

Yes! If a friend is on her/his way, a cup of flour, tablespoon of baking powder, 25g butter, half cup of milk, handful of sultanas or cakefruit. By the time you've rubbed the butter into the flour, mixed in the rest, patted it flat on the oven's tray and cut it into six pieces, the oven will have reached 220°C and ten minutes later we'll have hot buttered scones (US biscuits?) with our coffee.

And yes, to the silicon spatula, and in fact to the silicon baking sheet and loaf 'tins'.

GG

[ 26. August 2012, 09:51: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Haydee
Shipmate
# 14734

- Posted      Profile for Haydee   Email Haydee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I moved house a couple of months ago for some strange reason I packed the tin opener somewhere in the dpeths, but left out the (solid metal) mortar & pestle.

The pestle bashed open the lid of the tin after only a few blows.

So - a mortar & pestle (or even just the pestle). One of those kitchen must-haves.

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I was really sad - and annoyed - when someone broke my corningware roaster!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:

Why is it? I've been trying everywhere recently to get a melamine chopping board, but they all seem to be either wood, glass or plastic.
Melamine is not microwave-safe, and can chip, break or crack if overheated. When heated at high temperatures, a melamine product can potentially release toxins into food.

While melamine is not considered very toxic for adults, it can combine with other chemical compounds to cause kidney stones and renal failure in small animals and infants. Additionally, most melamine resin dinnerware contains small amounts of formaldehyde, a potent carcinogen, although the general scientific consensus is undecided on whether this poses a potential safety hazard.

READ MORE

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
And yes, to the silicon spatula, and in fact to the silicon baking sheet and loaf 'tins'.

I have some silicone muffin pans that I like very much. They are especially good for caramel pecan rolls because the caramel and pecans are much less likely to stick. If they do stick, I can scrape them off with a spoon and put them back on the rolls, and no one would know they had come off.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My little old rusted potato peeler. I have struggled with so many crappy potato peelers over the years that when I found this one, I stole it!

In my defense, it was part of the contents of a furnished rental, and I replaced it with a brand spanking new one. But I firmly believe that there is only one peeler out there for everyone, so that when you find it, you should never let it go.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

My three wooden chopping board of various sizes and designs! One of which I have had for over 25 years now and is still going strong!

--------------------

Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

finally - going towards more modern implements - the little garlic choppity choppity thingie. I don't know what it's called, but it's cheap plastic with a zig zaggy blade and you smack the crap out of the top and it pulverizes the garlic. good shit.

I just bought one of these last week and have used it every day since. I've found I can use it to dice onion and peppers too.

Probably more than anything, I use my colander and 8' serrated knife. The colander gets used for almost everything, from draining rice, pasta, and veggies, to draining frozen ground meats as they thaw and serving as my spinach-water-press-out vessel. I also use it to steam things. I don't know how I ever cooked without one.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:

Emli - you need to visit this place which is Corningware Heaven!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:

Emli - you need to visit this place which is Corningware Heaven!
That is a a dangerous place to visit! And relatively easy for me to reach. I've bought stuff in that shop and shoes and silk goods and wrm underwear from Kathmandu and...

[ 27. August 2012, 02:38: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016