Thread: Kitchen tools you can't cook without. Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=023240

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Mr. Image was doing the dishes the other night and observed that he almost always ended up washing my two handled strainer, and the kitchen shears. He was puzzled as to why I was always using these two items, no matter what I was cooking. After thinking about it I realized he was right. Among other things,I strain greens after washing them, run warm water over frozen shrimp to thaw, drain pasta water, wash fruit, and drain canned food all using my strainer. I open boxes, chop herbs, cut twine for trussing a bird, cut the plastic wrap off of cheese, and trim the ends off of green beans and many other kitchen jobs with the shears. What are your favorite kitchen tools?

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Spatula (for stir-frying, pancake flipping, rice-cooker-gouging out, batter-bowl-scraping-out) and a deep frying pan which can double as a sauce pan. Eee, I've forgotten the hot water pot. Instant near-boiling water is useful for a million things.

[ 23. August 2012, 22:42: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

I am still using the wooden handled paring knife that my mother had before me for almost all my cutting needs. I only get the big knife out for Thanksgiving's turkey. I'm guessing it's about fifty years old.

Posted by Squirrel (# 3040) on :

I'm another paring knife fan, although mine doesn't come with as much history.

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

Things I can't cook without:

-My mom's 50-year-old potato masher
-A contact grill
-My gimmicky little egg poacher, a coated, raised platform with four indentations for the eggs. You place the thing in a pan with a couple inches of water, bring the water to a simmer, break the eggs into the indentations -- perfect poached eggs that slide right out of the poacher.
-Wooden spoons. Baked goods just don't seem the same when the batter/dough isn't stirred with wooden spoons.;-)

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Can opener. [Razz]

Posted by Loquacious beachcomber (# 8783) on :

Glass rolling pin - but since I have a feeling the much-beloved Heavenly Hosts shudder at Heaven threads which become simply lists - I like a glass rolling pin because I can add a measure of cold water to it, changing its weight for a variety of different tasks.

Posted by Cryptic (# 16917) on :

I have a melamine spoon that has a flat edge, it's perfect for stirring soup, browning onions etc as the flat edge scrapes as the spoon stirs. It just seems to be the perfect size and fits in the hand nicely.

Sadly melamine is out of fashion now due to safety concerns, if I ever break this i don't know what I'll do.

From today's Sydney Morning Herald...

This

Posted by Barefoot Friar (# 13100) on :

My 8" chef knife and 9" iron skillet would see me through if I had nothing else in my kitchen. They were the last items to be packed in my recent move, and the first to be unpacked.

I allow no unitaskers in my kitchen. I simply don't have the room. So I find myself using various tools for strange things sometimes. Like using a pastry blender as a potato masher.

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Cryptic:
I have a melamine spoon that has a flat edge, it's perfect for stirring soup, browning onions etc as the flat edge scrapes as the spoon stirs.

Like my strong plastic spatula with a broad straight end – I can do perfect non-sloppy scrambled eggs only if I have it to scrape the bottom of the pot as the egg sets.
But we wonder how any household can function without a Little Red-handled Screwdriver™. The blade is 5mm wide, rounded and blunted; it is useful for inserting under the edge of a screw-cap to release the seal without damaging it, or for anything where delicate poking or prying is needed, such as pushing a rag into a space that can otherwise not be cleaned. And in a thousand other tricky situations.

GG

[ 24. August 2012, 04:03: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

My self-locking, silicone-tipped tongs, which are good for turning pieces of meat you are browning; serving stuff; tossing and serving salads. We're eating a lot of salads lately, so I should include the salad spinner (device for drying washed greens). And my two Cutco knives -- a paring knife and the "petite carver" size. I use one or the other every day. Superb quality. (But if you're going to purchase one, order it on-line. They do in-home sales, employ young college kids on commission, and train them to be extremely aggressive. But the product is good.)

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Ditto, I'm a kitchen charismatic - my life was transformed the day I received the gift of tongs...

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

A butcher's steel is essential for sharpening knives. And knives must be kept sharp, very sharp indeed.

I think it comes with being the son of a fishmonger. the sharpness of knives used in that profession has carried over into my kitchen.

A good sharpening steel is longer than the longest knife you own. If you get a knife set with a steel shorter than the knife blade, throw the steel away. You want long, heavy and magnetised.

There are two ways to use it, point down against a chopping board, and sharpen the knives blade downwards, or (if you can find a professional to train you) with the blade towards your hand — not recommended for novices — but it gets the best edge.

Posted by pjl (# 16929) on :

Has to be my spatula for all those flippin jobs

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

Phone.

AtB Pyx_e

Posted by Mary LA (# 17040) on :

Zester for zesting limes and lemons. Oranges too.

Posted by Prester John (# 5502) on :

My Boston shaker.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

The Sharp Knives for all manner of preparation; the Big Spoons for turning, stirring and serving.

These are the primordial implements. Society got by without the fork for all but the last few hundred years.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Pyx-e found this tool helpful
code:
 Phone 

[Killing me]

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Pyx-e found this tool helpful
code:
 Phone 

[Killing me]
Use it every Friday night to make pizza.

AtB Pyx_e (3 hours to go)

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
There are two ways to use it, point down against a chopping board, and sharpen the knives blade downwards, or (if you can find a professional to train you) with the blade towards your hand — not recommended for novices — but it gets the best edge.

I prefer stone or ceramic. One can sharpen a very long blade on a very short stone/steel, but it is not ideal.
The key to sharpening, IMO, is maintaining a consistent angle.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

My silicone spatula. How ever did I scrape out bowls before I had it?

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

I've been giving sales pitches for small toaster ovens to anyone who will listen for some time now. Feeling lazy and need a snack? Two corn tortillas and some cheese are all you need for a passable quesadilla that will be ready in five minutes. Need an extra starch for dinner so that there will be more leftovers the next day but don't want to heat up the whole house or tend to a rice pot? Poke some holes in a sweet potato, pop it in, set the timer for an hour, and take the dog for a walk. Fancy a fancy sandwich shop toasted sandwich? Got you covered. I didn't have one until recently, but they are awesome.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Serrated knife. It chops lots of things, cuts them, opens packets, severs string and rubber bands, and stays sharper far longer than a non-serrated knife.

Microwave. Invaluable for defrosting, warming up, re-heating, quick boiling, and occasionally, cooking.

My glass casserole dish, with lid. I bought this when I was a student and it has served me extremely well as an all-purpose utensil over the decades. The dish has had roasts, crumbles, casseroles, puddings, soups etc in it, while the lid has been very useful as an improvised pie dish, or for putting stuff in to go under the grill, or in the microwave, and could then serve as a heated-up plate.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Combination microwave - which I use more than my main oven - and two of my parents/grandparents knives - one with a long curved blade, the other a breadsaw which is perfect for carving meat.

Posted by Loquacious beachcomber (# 8783) on :

A teeny, tiny stainless steel grater, used for garlic, for cheese, for limes, nutmeg, etc.
It came on the top of a shower present to my wife 40 years ago, with a note reading:
"You may think Loquacious beachcomber is great, but this is a little grater."
Use it just about every time I cook!

[ 24. August 2012, 19:16: Message edited by: Loquacious beachcomber ]

Posted by HughWillRidmee (# 15614) on :

quote:
From today's Sydney Morning Herald...

This

Which includes
Or the egg separator - a contraption into which you broke an egg to catch the yolk while the white dribbled down the sides - some once swore was an absolute necessity in the kitchen?
which has now been superceded by this

Posted by John D. Ward (# 1378) on :

quote:
Sadly melamine is out of fashion now due to safety concerns, if I ever break this i don't know what I'll do.

Buy second-hand.

Melamine spoons on eBay Australia

Posted by Photo Geek (# 9757) on :

My large collection of original corningware pieces. All oven, microwave and dishwasher safe.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
My 8" chef knife...

I have one of those, too! (Plus the standard big one.) When I worked the hot line at a restaurant many years ago, I got that for some of the fiddly chopping. The men all laughed at me and my little knife, until they saw how handy it was. They all ended up borrowing it from me. Wouldn't be without it!

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

A broiler pan. One with a decent rack. It must be able to both bake (heat from the bottom element) and broil (heat from the top element).

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Photo Geek:
My large collection of original corningware pieces. All oven, microwave and dishwasher safe.

AND stovetop safe. I love mine.

Moo

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

I had a lovely knife that I used for everything and then one day, my wife Jennifer who really knows better, used my favorite knife to try to chop up some very frozen chicken. The tip of the knife snapped off and I was so annoyed with her--then she went and bought me one of those ceramic-bladed knives that supposedly never needs sharpening (ha!). It's not as good as the knife she ruined but alas, we have many other things to purchase and have not gotten around to buying a set of kitchen knives. [Frown]

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

quote:

I have my Mother's 4 piece set. All lidless now, unfortunately, but the bowls are so useful for so many things. I remember how pleased she was to get this at Christmas 1958. Or maybe her birthday.

Every time I use one, I remember my Mother.

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

PeteC: Isn't it weird the things we remember? Someone here was talking about a wooden-handle paring knife and that made me think of my mom's wooden-handle paring knife. Then I thought of Corningware and Pyrex. My mom had a bunch of Pyrex bowls and a small measuring cup. Simple things, in the great scheme of life but just remembering brings back fond memories... my mother died in 1979 when I was twelve.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

my cast iron! the 9 inch pan I inherited from my grandmother through my mother; the 12 inch handed down from a friend downsizing; the 6 inch I found all rusted out behind an abandoned cabin; and my favorite: a giant wok that I bought new myself! I can cook anything in that bad boy.

also - my large brass mortar and pestle - for spices and herbs, and for when the power is out and I need to grind coffee. The pestle is so heavy and badass I always figure I'll go for that if I need to defend myself.

and then there's the knife set I bought myself after my divorce. Okay, I bought it for looks, but the knives are so damn good I'll never use another brand - novelty be damned. (besides, it's a great conversation piece!)

the alaskan birch cutting board my mother made me (because all retired grannies have a wood shop, right?) because it's tough, doesn't warp, doesn't hold smells or mildew, and has my name carved on it.

finally - going towards more modern implements - the little garlic choppity choppity thingie. I don't know what it's called, but it's cheap plastic with a zig zaggy blade and you smack the crap out of the top and it pulverizes the garlic. good shit.

honorable mentions to the blender, the giant chest freezer that could hold 3 adult human bodies, and the meat grinder. the uses of these three items are not necessarily related.

I admit nothing.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

The way I cook it would be the rubbish bin. I do the dishes. Except when Kuruman's away, like now, when I burn prepackaged objects in a frying pan, meaning that steelo pads become indispensible.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
and then there's the knife set I bought myself after my divorce. Okay, I bought it for looks, but the knives are so damn good I'll never use another brand - novelty be damned. (besides, it's a great conversation piece!)

[Killing me] I spit all over my computer screen! And snorted several times! I want one.

I have a (cheap) set of stainless steel mixing bowls, and one or more are used almost every day. They aren't pretty, but they are really useful! Mixing stuff, of course! Fruit bowl, cereal bowl, float the broken flowers in water bowl, let the little kids bang on something bowl. Yup. Pretty good investment lo these many years ago.

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

quote:

Why is it? I've been trying everywhere recently to get a melamine chopping board, but they all seem to be either wood, glass or plastic.

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
I've been giving sales pitches for small toaster ovens to anyone who will listen for some time now.

Yes! If a friend is on her/his way, a cup of flour, tablespoon of baking powder, 25g butter, half cup of milk, handful of sultanas or cakefruit. By the time you've rubbed the butter into the flour, mixed in the rest, patted it flat on the oven's tray and cut it into six pieces, the oven will have reached 220°C and ten minutes later we'll have hot buttered scones (US biscuits?) with our coffee.

And yes, to the silicon spatula, and in fact to the silicon baking sheet and loaf 'tins'.

GG

[ 26. August 2012, 09:51: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

Posted by Haydee (# 14734) on :

When I moved house a couple of months ago for some strange reason I packed the tin opener somewhere in the dpeths, but left out the (solid metal) mortar & pestle.

The pestle bashed open the lid of the tin after only a few blows.

So - a mortar & pestle (or even just the pestle). One of those kitchen must-haves.

Posted by Emendator Liturgia (# 17245) on :

quote:

I was really sad - and annoyed - when someone broke my corningware roaster!

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:

Why is it? I've been trying everywhere recently to get a melamine chopping board, but they all seem to be either wood, glass or plastic.
Melamine is not microwave-safe, and can chip, break or crack if overheated. When heated at high temperatures, a melamine product can potentially release toxins into food.

While melamine is not considered very toxic for adults, it can combine with other chemical compounds to cause kidney stones and renal failure in small animals and infants. Additionally, most melamine resin dinnerware contains small amounts of formaldehyde, a potent carcinogen, although the general scientific consensus is undecided on whether this poses a potential safety hazard.

READ MORE

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
And yes, to the silicon spatula, and in fact to the silicon baking sheet and loaf 'tins'.

I have some silicone muffin pans that I like very much. They are especially good for caramel pecan rolls because the caramel and pecans are much less likely to stick. If they do stick, I can scrape them off with a spoon and put them back on the rolls, and no one would know they had come off.

Moo

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

My little old rusted potato peeler. I have struggled with so many crappy potato peelers over the years that when I found this one, I stole it!

In my defense, it was part of the contents of a furnished rental, and I replaced it with a brand spanking new one. But I firmly believe that there is only one peeler out there for everyone, so that when you find it, you should never let it go.

My three wooden chopping board of various sizes and designs! One of which I have had for over 25 years now and is still going strong!

Posted by Edgeman (# 12867) on :

quote:
Originally posted by comet:

finally - going towards more modern implements - the little garlic choppity choppity thingie. I don't know what it's called, but it's cheap plastic with a zig zaggy blade and you smack the crap out of the top and it pulverizes the garlic. good shit.

I just bought one of these last week and have used it every day since. I've found I can use it to dice onion and peppers too.

Probably more than anything, I use my colander and 8' serrated knife. The colander gets used for almost everything, from draining rice, pasta, and veggies, to draining frozen ground meats as they thaw and serving as my spinach-water-press-out vessel. I also use it to steam things. I don't know how I ever cooked without one.

quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:

Emli - you need to visit this place which is Corningware Heaven!

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:

Emli - you need to visit this place which is Corningware Heaven!
That is a a dangerous place to visit! And relatively easy for me to reach. I've bought stuff in that shop and shoes and silk goods and wrm underwear from Kathmandu and...

[ 27. August 2012, 02:38: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
My little old rusted potato peeler. I have struggled with so many crappy potato peelers over the years that when I found this one, I stole it!

In my defense, it was part of the contents of a furnished rental, and I replaced it with a brand spanking new one. But I firmly believe that there is only one peeler out there for everyone, so that when you find it, you should never let it go.

Yes!!! I visited daughter in Canada and found she only had The Other Kind™, which I can't use. So I sent her mine. After buying several packs of two, at a couple of dollars a pop, I finally got another that worked. The rest I binned...

GG

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

I always buy the same basic style. As you found, they don't all work. My guess is that it is something to do with the angle of sharpening on the blade which determines their success. I've now had the same one for quite a few years.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

When we were married, we pooled our stock of corning ware and pyrex. Most has survived and what has is in very frequent use. A very useful purchase was an hachinette - a small round wooden bowl, with a crescent shaped and wooden handled chopper. It's in daily use to chop herbs, garlic, shallots and so forth. It's indispensable. A good set of knives from Madame's mother, kept sharp by the knife grinder who regularly visits the local shops.; sharp knives are much safer than blunt, and well balanced ones much less tiring to use. The last essential device is a hand operated mouli, which does a much better job of pureeing soups and so forth than a food processor.

[ 27. August 2012, 11:24: Message edited by: Gee D ]

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

I remember my mother using a mouli over 50 years ago when preparing food for my baby brothers.

Essential item is a breadboard made of kahikatea or NZ white pine well over 100 years ago, and given to my great aunt and uncle as a wedding present.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

Our mouli was used for Dlet's food. Fortunately, it's stainless steel and can go though the dishwasher. My original was tin plate, and got ditched as soon as this one was bought.

Can you leave me your breadboard please? It sounds beautiful

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:

I have some silicone muffin pans that I like very much. They are especially good for caramel pecan rolls because the caramel and pecans are much less likely to stick. If they do stick, I can scrape them off with a spoon and put them back on the rolls, and no one would know they had come off.

Another one: the slow cooker. We just moved, and my mother in law offered to buy us a new crock pot, given that our old one was looking a little worn (the knob is lost, but you can still twist the switch into position with a pair of pliers or your fingers). We told her that we would always be happy to accept one, but that we were not throwing away the old one unless she thought she could get one for us before the Monday after our move, because that is how we cook our dinner every Monday. No cooking to do after a long day, leftovers for lunch the next day, it is a perfect invention.

Moo

I went in for the silicone ice cube trays. The cubes pop out of the silicone without the effort required for the hard ones, and they come out in a general cube shape, which just makes an old fashioned look that much better.

[ 27. August 2012, 23:12: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

Posted by Mr Curly (# 5518) on :

I love our small whisk. It gets used for all sorts of things, and is nick-named Nigella, after I saw her use one once and went straight out and bought it.

mr curly

This is what I mean. It's Monday, and even after one edit, I end up with most of my text in the comment I was replying to. I have no business cooking tonight. Good think the crock pot started bubbling away six hours ago.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

In approximate order of vitalness:

Wooden spoon.

A real bread knife with a serrated edge (serrated edges also useful for cutting some softer fruit & veg like tomatoes)

Small sharp knife.

Scissors.

An ordinary fork.

Tin opener. A real one, that looks like this. Made out of pressed metal with a butterfly grip. Modern fancier ones are all trickier to use and usually leave a sharp edge round the top of the tin.

Big sharp knife.

That's the *real* essential tools.

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Tin opener. A real one, that looks like this.

I have a variant of that designed for people whose hands don't work well. I love it.

Moo

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
This is what I mean. It's Monday, and even after one edit, I end up with most of my text in the comment I was replying to. I have no business cooking tonight. Good think the crock pot started bubbling away six hours ago.

Whisk(e)y solves all.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
I love our small whisk. It gets used for all sorts of things, and is nick-named Nigella, after I saw her use one once and went straight out and bought it.

mr curly

You are possibly the only male to have looked as far as the objects in her hands

Posted by Mr Curly (# 5518) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:

mr curly

You are possibly the only male to have looked as far as the objects in her hands
It might have been a repeat viewing. [Hot and Hormonal]

mr curly

quote:
Sorry, of maybe more of support for Mr Curly, but I also look at her tools and not elsewhere! [Angel]

quote:
Originally posted by Cryptic: Emli - you need to visit this place which is Corningware Heaven!
Hmmm, and Birkenhead Point is on the way to The Essential Ingredient - now, THAT is one dangerous combination!

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Can opener. [Razz]

Me too. That means a manual can opener for me, though - I hate electric ones. The only reason anyone should have an electric can opener, IMO, is if they have arthritis or some other disability that makes using a manual one too difficult.

Funny I'm so opinionated about a kitchen tool when I hardly ever cook!

I also use paring knives a lot. My sister had received a knife block & set for her wedding that she hadn't registered for, as well as the one she did register for, so she gave me the unwanted one. I rarely use any knives but the paring knives, even when the task probably requires a different knife. I could probably give that knife block away and just keep or buy a paring knife.

ETA: Oh, and in the spirit of Lyda*Rose's post, for me that would be a microwave. And the right-front burner on my stove.

[ 29. August 2012, 20:15: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

© Ship of Fools 2016