homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » In a parallel universe I'm...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: In a parallel universe I'm...
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not completely sold on the idea of modal realism, but if indeed there are an infinite number* of universes, then surely in one of them, we took different routes in life that we might sometimes dream about in this universe. Maybe there's a hobby you might have opted to do professionally, but didn't; maybe there's just something you suspect you might have enjoyed had you known about it early enough to study it and all. And we don't have to limit ourselves to careers here, but perhaps any vocation or avocation.

At any rate, I'm sure of these two --

In one parallel universe, I'm a record producer. I suppose that means I'd have to be a musician and not just a music fan. Had I the discipline and the affinity to learn to play an instrument, I think I would've wound up at the controls in a recording studio rather than on stage.

And in another, I studied art restoration. Not only do I touch up artworks, I also restore the frames on paintings, and research their history (frames are, after all, works of art in themselves. I always wish there were information on frames in museums and not just on the paintings).

In this universe, it's still not entirely certain what I am (presumably, I'll graduate and teach theology, but who knows). But I certainly am not, and will never be, either of the above. So I hope the parallel mes are enjoying those professions for me.

How about you?

-----
*Yes, I know technically "infinite number" is contradictory, but it's colloquially acceptable, so sue me.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parallel universe I'm beside myself.
Sorry but someone had to say it [Biased]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in Rome, doing as the Romans do.

Cattyish, having a holiday at home with the rain.

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parallel universe I would have taken up the offer of a nice gent in Washington, DC, and gotten a job there for a break year before college. The job might have been that of a security guard in one of the national museums, but what the hey. I think I would have turned out to be more independent and less afraid of taking interesting paths in life. [Tear]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are so many possibilities. A couple that might have happened given the right conditions and experience:

Academic Psychologist - I'm fascinated by the way the brain works, how easily it's deceived, and how quickly we react to anything that challenges our sense of identity by building up ever stronger defences. Most of all, I'm fascinated by how much of the brain seems to be entirely separate from what we think of as "us".

Or maybe a sommelier - OK, probably it's just that I like wine, but I really enjoy the game of matching a wine to food. Unfortunately, I lack the budget to be constantly experimenting and discovering new wines, but in this parallel universe that isn't a problem. I think my Y chromosome is more of an obstacle in this line of work.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there's also a parallel universe where I'm a photographer. In that universe, I picked up a camera in my early adolescence and never put it down - and I had the patience to learn all the technical aspects of photography, first from my dad, then from classes.

In this universe, I seem to have some kind of mental block for the technical aspects of photography. Several people have tried to teach me, but for some reason, I understand the general concepts but the practical operations never stick.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Travelling through time and space with the Doctor in the TARDIS saving the universe ... [Big Grin]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In one parallel universe, I didn't listen to my father's opinions about women playing sports and kept on playing ice hockey. The first woman ever to play in the NHL is my age, my size and played my position.

In another parallel universe, I didn't listen to my boyfriend's opinion about auditioning to be a clown with the circus. At that time, I was fit, limber, physically active and had just taken a clowning class.

In another parallel universe, I said yes when I was offered a position as a crew member on a treasure-hunting boat. At the time, I just couldn't see myself running away to sea.

But all in all, I guess I'm pretty happy with this universe, although I hope the other me's are 1) in the NHL hall of fame, 2)making children of all ages laugh with my famous juggling pies while riding a unicycle routine and 3)happily sailing around the world's oceans finding all sorts of treasure.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parallel universe, I'm healthy again, I'm the proper weight, I don't have any debilitating depression or other cognitive issues and I have a great job, a beautiful house, and partners who are also not sick, overweight, and didn't have horrible childhoods...

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my parallel universe, I was bold enough to do a forward roll, aged five. From that piece of physical courage, a whole different life flowed.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must say, having come to live in Darwin (after years of wanting to), I have to pinch myself often to ascertain whether I am or am not in a parallel universe. So far the evidence is inconclusive. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually unstuck between universes and pop back and forth between serving as lieutenant with Captain Jack Aubrey on the Surprise in the early 19th century, and serving on a lieutenant with Captain Picard on the Enterprise in the 24th century. In neither universe am I a red shirt.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In various universes I am:

A rock star;

an ethnomusicologist, specializing in the music of the African diaspora;

a novelist (I write eccentric fantasy novels);

a gigolo (well, probably a retired gigolo at this point);

a street singer in New Orleans (the only really good place to do that);

a Trappist monk.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
Travelling through time and space with the Doctor in the TARDIS saving the universe ... [Big Grin]

Tubbs

Well, that would be the default, sure...

Also, Enigma? You rule .

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:

Tubbs

Well, that would be the default, sure...

Also, Enigma? You rule .

It's been my default option since I crawled out from behind the sofa mumble, mumble years ago and started watching the programme ... Of course, I'd be younger, fitter and more glamorous whilst travelling through time and space. [Big Grin]

Tubbs

[ 26. September 2012, 13:07: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Tubbs, you made me think...

I went on this ride at Disneyland a few weeks back. (because we Californians nip down there every other weekend, you know) and went on this virtual reality ride that simulated a feather-light/hang glider ride over the California Coast. And I actually did this intense regressing thing where I was back in grade school nursing a big hero worship for Murdock on the A-Team, and basically wanted to be a girl version of him. It was beyond exhilarating. I made my family take me on again.

This reverie went on for several more of those stationary VR rides*-- I was girl Murdock, executing daring flight extravaganzas, saving the world (I highly recommend the Transformers ride at Universal City.I kicked ass--Optimus Prime told me so.)

So to heck with the Doctor, I wanna steal the TARDIS and go joyriding. And to heck with glamour, I wanna do it in a leather bomber jacket and a baseball cap. [Big Grin]

In reality--crap vision.Painfully crap. Otherwise I would have tried flight school long ago.

*I should add that I hadn't been on one of those rides in a decade, and the fantasy helped settle my initial panic.I had to suck it up if I wanted to hang with the Neph.

[ 26. September 2012, 18:20: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parallel universe, I'm a multi-instrumentalist and singer who also draws and... this is the crucial point... I make heaps of money!!!

*In this universe I only know how to sing, play drums, and draw. And I certainly don't make money from these talents. Sigh...

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Flossymole
Apprentice
# 17339

- Posted      Profile for Flossymole   Email Flossymole   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parallel me eloped to Gretna Green aged 18 with her 18-year-old boyfriend when he first suggested it, instead of laughing it off as a joke (me), playing the field (both of us) and dithering (both of us) for the next three years. But she's probably missed out on rock climbing, potholing and computer programming, so I don't wish to swap.
Posts: 43 | From: Derbyshire UK | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parallel universe I'm a good 6 inches taller than I am now (I'm 4 foot 11).

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In one parallel universe, I went and did a music degree after school, not science and law, and ended up using my sense of structure to craft beautiful songs instead of crafting legislation.

And in another parallel universe, I took a chance on a job offer in Melbourne in 2003 rather than staying put in my home town, and maybe met the man of my dreams 9 years earlier before he'd developed the complications that have got so badly in our way. [Frown]

(Yes, a bit moody for Heaven, sorry. Sniff.)

[ 24. October 2012, 12:38: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my parallel universe I would have followed up an opportunity to join Naval Intelligence. If not selected for that, I'd have got a job as a Solicitor. My total lack of career focus as a young man cost me dearly,in finance and job satisfaction.

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parallel universe I did not come to mistakenly believe I was destined by God to be a Primary School teacher. I am not married to the person I am in this universe with the kids I have here, and am probably still living in parallel Leeds. More than that, I have little idea, except that parallel me has probably assisted the Fox and Newt a bit more than this me has.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parallel universe I would be sailing the world in a beautiful tall ship.

In another one I would have learnt to knit as well as sew and I would be able to make my own jumper to keep warm instead of having to buy them.

In another one I would have opened a cake shop with my friends after we left uni (we joked about it if nobody got jobs but eventually we all did)

In yet another one I would have learnt properly about programming, computers and games and be a geek instead of just being married to one.

In this one I flit wildly between all of these things (except the programming!)

Oh and then there's the one where I'm a librarian and I got the job at St Deiniol's library/the Bodleian/the V&A (yes I actually had interviews at all those places! I'm terrible at interviews though)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aethelstan
Shipmate
# 3502

- Posted      Profile for Aethelstan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parallel universe I would, like all humans, have a trunk (and not a cold). How primates came to miss out on this massively useful piece of kit is a complete mystery to me and pretty conclusive proof that this universe is not the best one to be in.
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am actually in a parallel universe, having once made a wish. I now want to get back to where I came from.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parallel universe, this really works and I'm doing a lot of foreign trips.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parallel universe, I'm a professional Hip-Hop dancer.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In one universe that diverged from my current one about twenty five years ago, I would have become a bush pilot in Burma or Brazil.

Sigh...

But one should not cry over the road not taken. It's dramatic enough at the moment, for universes are about to diverge once more.

the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parallel universe I ignored the sensible education advice and studied what I am actually interested in - philosophy. And I'm probably a lot happier than I am in this universe.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parallel universe, I didn't listen to the "careers teacher" who told me that I had to have Latin O level to become an archaeologist. Thus I am an archaeologist, delving into the past - possibly uncovering Richard III, possibly discovering tombs in Egypt (or more likely getting covered in mud excavating in a cold field somewhere miles from civilisation) - and loving it!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parallel universe I have proved conclusively that there are no parallel universes.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parrallel universe I actually decided to become what I trained to be. I change job regularly according to where the funding is, therefore I am relatively well travelled (actually about half my employment has been overseas in a variety of interesting countries) but my usual work situation is a prefabricated hut on some research station in the middle of nowhere (alternating between zoo or university). I would be pretty good at recognising birds and plants and have a whole host of stories although I rarely would end up on sharp end of the research, rather I get the boring job of entry of records at the end of the day. Therefore I also am pretty good at getting computers to work under the most unlikely of situation. Probably with quite long periods of unemployment inbetween, or maybe I just work take temporary contracts with pharmaceutical companies rather than resting.

I would be an ecological statistician! I was only realised this sort of career existed towards the end of my masters.

Jengie

[ 27. October 2012, 19:02: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a parallel universe I did what my father and teachers wanted, went to a top level university, and became a doctor. I then worked my ass off for the next zillion years, bought a nice house in California, and married someone similar to myself that I was not happy with for long and had 2.4 kids. After the divorce and subsequent financial and family problems, I thought, oh shit, I could have done what I thought I was called to do back in high school, but it was too wild and crazy, and everybody would have disapproved.

I like being in this universe. [Razz]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
and... this is the crucial point... I make heaps of money!!!

If you manage to locate that universe, you'll let us all know how to get there, won't you?

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016