Thread: Isaac -- It Is To Laugh! Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=023738

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

Well, it's either laugh or cry...

TS Isaac

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

I think folks all over the world will be holding the people in its path, and those who have already had 'the experience', in the Light.

[Votive]

Higher Ground

Janine, I see this thread as enabling Shipmates to discuss and publicly pray for and about the effects of Hurricane Isaac - and for Shipmates affected to call in and let us know how they are doing. I'd rather it isn't filled with youtube™ links.

Thanks.

WW
All Saints Host

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Well, we've been having 'sun bands' between some of the rain bands. Janine, I hope Isaac turns into a non-event for you like it has been for us.

I think there are about six branches on my grass that need to be taken to the street. Not bad. A nice amount of rain, which is OK!

So, on the book of the face, folks have been posting "Remember Isaac 8-27-12" posters with pictures of a street with one palm frond on the pavement, or a picture of a plastic lawn dining set with one chair overturned. And, we are not complaining! [Big Grin]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

For the record, Janine, I just checked your location and see that you are about as smack dab "in the path" as a person can be.

I respect your attempts to be cheery in the face of here-we-go-again, but I will be praying like a mofo.

Judy-- glad things are relatively smooth.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

One of my brothers lives in Florida - zip code 33138 (I don't know the geography of the area at all). I know he was in the path, but don't know if he still is. Have been praying for all affected and will continue to do so.

Huia

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

One of my friends has children in New Orleans. May Isaac decrease in intensity as it crosses the coast, like a good tropical storm should. Amen.

I did find this a useful scale to look at, though.

Posted by BessHiggs (# 15176) on :

Huia, that zip code is on the east coast of Florida, so I'm guessing that your brother made out fine, maybe some gusty wind and a little rain, more likely he just got really really bored with the "OMG A STORM IS COMING" news coverage and went on about his day.

jj- [Yipee] ! glad you didn't get whomped.

Janine - hunker down girl, hunker down!

Here, we're watching the track that takes Isaac up the Mississippi and hoping like heck we get some rain out of him. If we were closer to the coast, I'd most definately NOT be hoping for the storm, but this far inland, if we get anything, it should just be a good dousing, which we badly need.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

quote:
Originally posted by BessHiggs:
Janine - hunker down girl, hunker down!

I know you're an old hand at this hurricane business, but be assured of our prayers. Couldn't hurt.

Posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde (# 54) on :

I talked on the phone to both Janine and JediJudy and they both seem in good spirits. If I had that thing in my direction, I don't think I would be anywhere near it. [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

You all are on my mind. Friends in Mississippi seem to be taking it in stride, although they are getting a little sick of the Weather Channel reporting that the storm is likely to hit "somewhere in the land mass between Mobile and New Orleans."

Posted by Late Paul (# 37) on :

Be safe and look after yourselves.
[Votive]

Posted by JB (# 1776) on :

Motherboard just walked into the office and changed the TV to the "Hurricane Isaac Channel" on DirectTV, channel 349.

It even has advertisements for where to buy your sandbags.

I didn't even go out to get any sandbags. (The parish pays for that, perhaps also the state. Bags and piles of sand are set down around the parish, you go out and fill some and bring them home.)

FG Sr. asked if we were going to go for them, but we didn't consider it since we probably won't flood here. FG Sr. chuckled and indicated he knew that but meant to eventually use the sand in low spots on the lawn. [Smile]

That's about how serious the situation looks here between the bayous, for us personally. Of course there's always the lower-lying neighborhoods, possible flooding could ruin houses.

The wind could cause a lot of problems. Some quirky higher-speed gust could come in at just the wrong angle for my poor, poor roof.

And we could always lose power for a day or two even without severe storm damage. I'd really hate to lose that freezer full of shrimp FG & I peeled (and peeled and peeled) several days ago.

But, we don't expect anything dangerous to life or limb, so long as the Lord agrees.

The wider possibilities for flash flooding as the remains of Isaac progress north against that high pressure system draped across the Southwest, now, that could be a fearful problem for the northern half of Louisiana, for much of Mississippi, Alabama, even Arkansas.

Google has a map for it:

http://google.org/crisismap/2012-tropical-system-isaac

I just got a text from Janine, the storm is just stalled over her, so it is wet. Her power is out. Some houses are underwater in some parishes due to rising water. Tidal surges are pretty bad and there are photos of water up to the roofs of houses on the TV. The levees have held up and boats are picking up people off their roofs in some places.
The wind is roaring and the rain coming down in sheets.

Keep praying.

Janine Update:

"Office of Emergency Management has lost power. Winds peaked supposedly at 4 PM. The storm surge is possible as the Isaac moves Northwest. "

She is inland and won't get the full brunt of the storm, but this hurricane is a real puzzler, it just stalled because of the High north of there not moving it along like it should have. Hurricane people will be talking about this one for a long time.

Braithwaite, Louisiana is totally under water. It is a mess east of New Orleans and the rain is still falling and the wind is still blowing. The levees are holding up to a point, although I saw that they are going to be putting holes in a levee (to be repaired later) to relieve some of the water pressure when the tide goes down.

Keep praying, it isn't over yet.

She's also frequently updating on Facebook, so if you have her on, check in. (I just did. ) Seems like she's safe but will probably need morale boosts along the way.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

Here is some information and pictures of the storm.

Moo

We got the power back. [Big Grin]

Little pieces of Isaac are still wandering around raining on people who really don't need more water. Homes along the Tangipahoa River were supposed to be evac'd by lunchtime today, since a damaged dam over in Mississippi might give way & dump its whole load downstream at once. That's one place they're doing controlled levee-breaching.

The Braithwaite levee trouble is of course major disaster for the people who suffer from it -- but it wasn't a levee that was part of the whole Army Corps revamp. It was still sort of a local levee, you could say -- improved and strengthened, but still not quite the "100 Year Storm" levee. So, it's not a huge shock they had trouble.

I haven't been hearing of "we're about to drown" flooding -- no one was calling a radio station at midnight to announce they were standing in a flooded attic holding an infant --

What I hear is more where people are surrounded by floodwaters and need to get out because they're elderly or have infants or are otherwise unable to "hunker down" in an isolated home for more than a day.

Major inconvenience. Wind and rain damage. Individual homes and neighborhoods with substantial flooding -- as late as lunchtime today, people near Slidell were being evac'd from rising floodwater, even with Isaac becoming more and more a non-issue.

There are places that didn't receive more rain than we usually do in any rainstorm, but they happen to live in a "funnel", a place through which other regions drain. Some spots like that are still in trouble.

We got out and drove around town a bit this morning. If we'd been out earlier we could've had breakfast in the cafeteria at the hospital. (The hospitals, jails, schools and other institutions around here actually have fantastic food.)

In the end, we were able to get a hot lunch at the deli across the bayou from the house. Only a couple days using a generator made me crave something more than I could cook at home. The steaming crispy fried chicken did a lot for my mood. [Axe murder]

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
We got the power back. [Big Grin]

Hurray!
[Big Grin]

Glad its abating. The horrid aftermath of flooding we really understand down here in Oz. The rot. The smell. The insect and snake problems in summer. Not to mention a lot of hard work and $$$ for whole communities. Waiting and waiting and waiting for rewiring.

But I do give thanks that people have survived, and are working together to make things better. And YAY that you can still get fried chicken!

Glad you're OK, Janine! Fried chicken cures what ails you, doesn't it?

I'm waiting to hear about friends in Slidell. Hopefully they're all OK.

How are things in Dagobah, Judy?

Except for that one tree, things are fine! (Let those with ears to hear...)

We were very lucky on this one. Some flooding, and God's tree limb removal service. Some folks lost power, but I don't think anyone in our area was even injured.

The remnant of Isaac may bring us some much-needed rain on Tuesday. It depends on how far east the track is.

Moo

Isaac might bring some tropical depression rain as far as Ohio...

quote:
"...Officials rushed to evacuate more than 100 nursing home residents from Plaquemines Parish, an area with a reputation for residents hunkering down to weather storms and perhaps the hardest hit by Isaac. In this hardscrabble, mostly rural parish, even the sick and elderly are hardened storm veterans...."
Isaac leaves behind as much inconvenience, destruction, worry and consternation as he dealt while here.

Franklinton is having an awful time. The Bogue Chitto River surpassed the projected high water mark, early and by a lot. Pray for the flooded, stranded and some destroyed homes/homeless residents, right now.

Per WWL-AM Radio a few minutes ago, something like 414,000 customers are still without power tonight. There are still folks experiencing rising water as late as this afternoon and tonight, still stranded people looking for shelters, Red Cross struggling (?) to keep up.

We actually found the Houma Olive Garden operating, full hours/full menu tonight. (Still a boil-water order in effect. They had a big iced tea dispenser on the restroom counter for hand-washing, and brought us bottled water to the table.)

I had a nice small sirloin, rare, new on the menu -- I know, you don't go to Olive Garden for steak, but one wants what one wants -- and I tried a new Malbec they were offering. It was pretty much a perfect little glass of red wine, meant to be consumed with a sirloin and broccoli and mashed potatoes.

I particularly found it interesting to alternate sips with the trademark Olive Garden Andes mints. FG stuck with the "never-ending pasta bowl", alfredo sauce and Italian sausage. You know Olive Garden, there was the inevitable huge fresh tossed salad and hot breadsticks.

Then we returned home to a houseful of ants. (Not a shock, that, we've been aware of them since halfway through the storm.) The crazy ants were driven in by Isaac. Thank God they appear to be non-aggressive vegetarians. FG thinks they must've boomed, in the week before Isaac, because he had recently staked the yard and killed off the fire ants. Heck, I bet the fire ants were all that was holding the crazy ants at bay. Either by simply being aggressive at them and fighting for territory, or maybe by eating them and especially their larvae and pupae.

You never know what to expect with a hurricane. Or, rather, you know exactly what sort of horrors to expect, but you hope to escape the worst of them!

At least it looks like TS Leslie is going to take a different path but may cause Bermuda some problems.

Here is a statement from this site.
quote:
...the remnants of Isaac will begin moving east and eventually east-southeast around this ridge. In fact...tracking the remnants
of Isaac through the GFS/ECMWF...it appears by the end of next week the remnants of Isaac could well be right back in the Gulf where it started. This will result in an extended period of deep tropical moisture remaining poised across the middle-Atlantic region...which overall is good news given the recent overall prolonged hot...dry Summer.

Moo

Hurricanes and tropical storms are very strange creatures. IIRC, Ivan (of the year of many hurricanes in Florida) missed us the first time, made a big circle and came back and got us the second time. And Fay was the tourist tropical storm. She made about seven landfalls in this state. She kept going out into the water then coming back. Very weird.

Hopefully Isaac will quit messing with folks near Janine, and will give rain where it's needed to the north.

Posted by maleveque (# 132) on :

What appear to be remnants of Isaac are booming overhead now, and it looks like it will be raining for the next few days.
- Anne L.

© Ship of Fools 2016