Thread: One minute's silence is quite enough for us, say Caffe Nero Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=023802

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

I am fuming. I've just been into a Caffe Nero not far from my workplace and seen a very dignified, black bordered notice saying "Caffe Nero will be observing One minute's silence on Sunday 11 November at 11 AM."

WTF! Can they really not be arsed to do the full two minutes? I think I am more upset by this than I would be if they didn't observe it at all. It is so shabby.

[Mad]

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Go to Starbucks!!!

Actually, i am quite surprised they are keeping ANY silence. There was a time when the silence was moved to the nearest Sunday. keeping on the day itself became popular again after 9/11 when a new generation were forced to confront war and death afresh.

As a near-pacifist I value this pause in the secular week to think seriously about warfare and its casualties.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Maybe they forgot that the tradition was two minutes. My brain works like that sometimes, too.

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

No, it was bfore 9/11- I think after some significant anniversaries in the 90s (50th of VE/VJ Day, 80th of the Armistice). Until then it had really, as leo says, only been observed on Remembrance Sunday- which is good enough for me.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

I can never hear about the two minutes' silence without thinking of Orwell.

Posted by pete173 (# 4622) on :

The reinvention of the 11.00 on the 11th of the 11th is a bit of romantic nonsense. Most of us grew up with Remembrance Sunday - which is manageable and sensible. The reason why the 11/11/11 thing fell into desuetude was that it was impractical in the midst of a working day. Now we get all the guilt trip stuff about wearing poppies for weeks, BBC compulsion on appearing on screen with one, and bringing back weekday remembrance. It really doesn't help with the main thing - which is remembrance and thankfulness for those who died, prayer for peace, financial support for those injured in war and resolve not to allow carnage in the future.

So I just stay out of the way of people on 11th November because I don't want to be picked on by prissiness. Let's do proper Remembrance, not this tokenistic stuff.

Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras (# 11274) on :

That's the Two Minutes Hate, Ruth. Clearly it was inspired by the Two Minutes Silence, however. More interesting to me is how prescient Orwell was about Newspeak. Think of the term "Satnav", for example: pure Newspeak.

Posted by art dunce (# 9258) on :

Couldn't you just choose to remain silent an extra minute?

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
That's the Two Minutes Hate, Ruth. Clearly it was inspired by the Two Minutes Silence, however.

Yes, I know. And I think anyone who is so upset at the thought that others will shorten the observance by half or -- hold onto your hankies, folks -- ignore it altogether would do well to reread 1984.

quote:

More interesting to me is how prescient Orwell was about Newspeak. Think of the term "Satnav", for example: pure Newspeak.

Yes, such things are doubleplusungood.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
The reinvention of the 11.00 on the 11th of the 11th is a bit of romantic nonsense. Most of us grew up with Remembrance Sunday - which is manageable and sensible. The reason why the 11/11/11 thing fell into desuetude was that it was impractical in the midst of a working day. Now we get all the guilt trip stuff about wearing poppies for weeks, BBC compulsion on appearing on screen with one, and bringing back weekday remembrance. It really doesn't help with the main thing - which is remembrance and thankfulness for those who died, prayer for peace, financial support for those injured in war and resolve not to allow carnage in the future.

So I just stay out of the way of people on 11th November because I don't want to be picked on by prissiness. Let's do proper Remembrance, not this tokenistic stuff.

I used to agree with that, bishop. Until i was faced with working class kids in my classroom after an edict from a head teacher told us to incorporate the silence in our lessons before morning break.

As a lefty union rep. I asked all sorts of questions which were not understood.

But I understood what the kids wanted. So I tried to make it some sort of secular spiritual experience and was won over by it.

Typical Church of England, I suppose!

Posted by shamwari (# 15556) on :

Nov 11th falls on a Sunday rhis year.

I cannot do 11/11/11th because I have two services and timing does not co=incide.

I will do Rememberance.

And I will wear a poppy put on for the Day / Occasion.

But I hate with a perfect hatred the way the BBC sanctimoniously starts the compulsory wearing of poppies 2 weeks before the event. Worse still, the BBC ensures that programmes made well in advance still insists on presenters wearing poppies. They must have done so in early October when the programmes were made.

I agree with Bishop Pete/

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
Most of us grew up with Remembrance Sunday - which is manageable and sensible. The reason why the 11/11/11 thing fell into desuetude was that it was impractical in the midst of a working day. Now we get all the guilt trip stuff about wearing poppies for weeks, BBC compulsion on appearing on screen with one, and bringing back weekday remembrance. It really doesn't help with the main thing - which is remembrance and thankfulness for those who died, prayer for peace, financial support for those injured in war and resolve not to allow carnage in the future.

[Overused] Just to say this paragraph is not deserving to be in Hell.

Around here the 2 min thing seemed to be revived by moderate Nationalists and then went on to curry favour with the masses , well before 9/11 as I recall.
On a positive note It could be said the patriotism has been reclaimed from the union-jack waistcoat wearing football yob of the 70s.
That's as long as history is going to repeat itself . What we see now could be the 'small wars' era of 150 years ago.

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

Wuzzamatterwi' SatNav, fercryinoutloud?

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
[QUOTE] Around here the 2 min thing seemed to be revived by moderate Nationalists and then went on to curry favour with the masses , well before 9/11 as I recall.

In 1995 to be precise.

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Go to Starbucks!!!

I am rarely that desperate!

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
But I hate with a perfect hatred the way the BBC sanctimoniously starts the compulsory wearing of poppies 2 weeks before the event.

I agree. It's like shops that haver already started to plug Christmas. Poppies should not be worn before November 1st, and preferably not before the Sunday before 11th November.

Posted by Reuben (# 11361) on :

Maybe the cafe's owners are Australian.

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Go to Starbucks!!!

No fucking way! Tax-dodging scum!

Plus I have a Costa Card [Two face]

[ 06. November 2012, 11:07: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

Posted by Caissa (# 16710) on :

Our rector cancelled the main service on Remembrance Day (10:30 a.m.) ostensibly to encourage parishioners to attend the local Remembrance Day ceremonies. We are having our Act of Remembrance at 9 a.m. when almost nobody will bloody well be present. Many parishioners question whether she will be attending the local service or just be having an early end to her day by only taking 1 service insetead of 2. The Act of Remembrance at the 10:30 service meant the names of the war dead would be read around 11 a.m. This year I'll probably be reading them closer to 9:30. I'll be reading more names than parishioners present in the congregation. Our Rector should be called to hell for this questionable decision. If only she was on the Ship.

© Ship of Fools 2016