Thread: Pentecostal versus Anglican Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=023956

Posted by littlemiss (# 17372) on :

Can someone please help me to decipher the differences here!Pretty please.........

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

I'm not sure where this belongs, but, since I'm guessing it's not a game (unless you want to know why Pentecostals don't wave to each other across the liquor store), I'm going to see where this should go.

And welcome!

—Ariston, Circus Host

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

After discussion, we're moving this to Purgatory—which, at last check, neither Anglicans nor Pentecostals had much fondness for.

Be off with ye!

—Ariston, Host

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

Um ... I'm tempted to say a bit like the difference between a banana and a tractor, really. Or maybe more like a Porsche and a Cessna.

Perhaps ... for one worship is expressed in the spontaneous and ecstatic - the God of the dance - while for the other freedom is expressed (mainly) in order and dignity, the God who breathed order into chaos.

But really, I'd need a little more finessing of the question!

Posted by Custard (# 5402) on :

They're descriptions on different axes - like "red" and "over 5m tall". There are lots of red things, there are lots of things over 5m tall, and there are a few that are both.

Specifically, "Anglican" is a description of how the church is governed - there are bishops, priests and deacons, and the bishops have some kind of relationship with the Archbishop of Canterbury.

"Pentecostal" is much more about the style of the service. Most Anglican churches (in the Global North) aren't pentecostal in style; a few are.

Here's an example of a church that is both Anglican and Pentecostal.

It gets a bit more complicated than that though because of the word "charismatic". Some people say the difference between pentecostal and charismatic is that the pentecostals believe in a one-off post -conversion experience for Christians of "baptism in the Holy Spirit"; others say it's that Pentecostals have to be part of a denomination that is all pentecostal (like AoG), but charismatics can be part of other denominations (like Anglicanism, the Roman Catholics and so on).

Posted by Ramarius (# 16551) on :

quote:
Originally posted by littlemiss:
Can someone please help me to decipher the differences here!Pretty please.........

Greetings littlemiss. What prompted the question (it will help with the answer)
[Biased]

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Pentecostalism

And the same site on Church of England as an example of Anglicanism. Basically Anglicanism largely stems from the CofE but the CofE is an atypical Anglican Church as it is a national church.

Jengie

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

Andrew Walker the sociologist/theologian hit the nail on the head when he wrote that 'a charismatic is a middle-class Pentecostal.'

Seriously, though, it would help with the answers if littlemiss were to unpack the question a bit and tell us what she already knows of Pentecostalism and Anglicanism. That'd save us going off onto tangents or getting the wrong end of the stick.

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

quote:
Originally posted by littlemiss:

As others have said, it's difficult to know where to start, as you haven't given any context. Are you trying to decide which of two or more churches to attend, are you writing an essay, or has a friend criticised Anglicanism and/or Pentecostalism, and you don't know how to respond? Are there ethnic/cultural issues involved as well? I presume you've already done some googling?

Anglicanism and Pentecostalism were born several centuries apart, and in different continents. Anglicanism was founded as a national church, so it has 'establishment values' while being more tolerant of internal diversity; Pentecostalism was a grassroots movement, so it's more chaotic, while also having a pronounced autocratic streak.

Both have influenced each other. In the postmodern, globalised world we live in, they probably share lots of the same issues, while being divided by others. You might find Pentecostal Anglicans, and perhaps also Anglican Pentecostals; Anglicanism tends to imply religious stability, respectability and upward mobility, while Pentecostalism implies spiritual vitality and numerical or statistical growth. Each desires aspects of what the other has, but the merging of these different values (either by design or via less obvious influences) can create tensions on both sides. This is how it seems to me.

Anyway, that probably has nothing to do with your question!

© Ship of Fools 2016