Thread: Apostolic Succesion Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024113

Posted by Godric (# 17135) on :

I've been looking on the net for the succession of 'continuing' Anglican Churches although they sometimes seem less than transparent on that subject. Do continuing Anglican Churches have any Anglican succession or has their succession been arrived at from another source?

I know about the origins of the REC and the Bishop of Kentucky; are there other examples similar to this one?

I write on funerals and burials at http://godsacre.blogspot.co.uk/

Posted by Zach82 (# 3208) on :

Most of them got a bishop or two in the deal, or were given one by a conservative province.

Posted by Olaf (# 11804) on :

Most continuing Anglican churches are very open about apostolic lineage on their websites. It provides some interesting reading.

Posted by Mr. Rob (# 5823) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Godric:
I've been looking on the net for the succession of 'continuing' Anglican Churches although they sometimes seem less than transparent on that subject. Do continuing Anglican Churches have any Anglican succession or has their succession been arrived at from another source?

I know about the origins of the REC and the Bishop of Kentucky; are there other examples similar to this one?

It was Bishop George Cummins (1822-76), a former Methodist minister, who became an Episcopal priest in 1845, and was elected assistant bishop of Kentucky in 1866.

Go to Anglicans Online and look at what is considered to be a definitive listing of the many Anglican/Episcopal churches listed as 'not in communion with Canterbury'. Many of them proudly display their lists of episcopal lineage by tactile succession. For some, that list is their only claim to fame. There is a deal of play with the words Anglican and Episcopal, despite the fact that they are not recognized by the See of Canterbury or the Instruments of Communion.

Anglicans Online Churches not in the Communion

In North America the term "continuing" is not used. The term "spin-offs" or "schismatic" is much more accurate and appropriate because these churches are the result of splits or schisms from The Episcopal Church USA or the Anglican Church of Canada, which are, in fact, the continuing bodies.

Posted by Ruudy (# 3939) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rob:
In North America the term "continuing" is not used. The term "spin-offs" or "schismatic" is much more accurate and appropriate because these churches are the result of splits or schisms from The Episcopal Church USA or the Anglican Church of Canada, which are, in fact, the continuing bodies.

I may be confused, but aren't there plenty of parishes that identify as "continuing Anglican". Is the Continuing Anglican Movement not what the OP is referring to?

Does the term "continuing" have a different meaning somewhere else?

[ 14. October 2012, 20:47: Message edited by: Ruudy ]

quote:
Originally posted by Ruudy:
quote:

I may be confused, but aren't there plenty of parishes that identify as "continuing Anglican". Is the Continuing Anglican Movement not what the OP is referring to?

Does the term "continuing" have a different meaning somewhere else?

A simple Google search will confirm that the majority of those non-TEC Anglican churches do use the term "continuing" to describe themselves.

Their connection with the Anglican Communion is perhaps dubious. They may claim connection through the oversight of a province elsewhere in the world. Then again, they may not.

Whether one chooses to acknowledge that the term "continuing" is appropriate or not, the fact is that they choose to describe themselves thus.

That's what I thought. I don't hear anyone calling them the "spin-off" or "schismatic" Anglican churches.

quote:
That's what I thought. I don't hear anyone calling them the "spin-off" or "schismatic" Anglican churches.

You clearly haven't been talking to many Episcopalians.

Posted by PD (# 12436) on :

One or two of Continuing groups have Old Catholic Orders, which can be a problem if they are detived through some of the more fringe groups within the Mathew Succession. The Anglican Catholic Church, Anglican Province of Christ the King and United Episcopal Church share a common succession which derived from Canterbury via the Protestant Episcopal Church. For convenience I will use Henry Knox Sherrill as the jumping off point

Henry Knox Sherrill Presiding Bishop of the PECUSA consecrated (1950)

Albert Lichtenberger, Bishop of Missouri, who as presiding Bishop consecrated (1962)

Albert Chambers, Bishop of Springfield, who on 28/1/1978 consecrated

C.D.Dale Doren, Bishop of the Diocese of the Midwest; Peter Watterson, Bishop of the Diocese of the Southeast; James Orin Mote, Bishop of the Diocese of the Holy Trinity (Rockies and Plains States) ; and Robert Sherwood Morse, Bishop of the Diocese of Christ the King (Left Coast). At the time all four sees belonged to the Anglican Church of North America (Episcopal). Subsequently the original bishops of the ACNA(E) has some pretty strong disagreements and at least two of them did not ratify the Constitution and Canons as drawn up 1978-81 because they represented too great a departure from Anglican/Episcopalian tradition. Of the original Sees Midwest and Holy Trinity became part of the Anglican Catholic Church; Southeast and Christ the King became part of APCK to simlify greatly. The UECNA's original diocese started in 1981 and was named the 'Diocese of the Ohio Valley' but being a Central to Low Church jurisdiction the centre of gravity in the UECNA has tended to move southwards.

PD

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

I don't think
quote:
spin-off
or
quote:
schismatic
are particularly helpful words to use for purposes of this conversation, nor do they shed any light on the question in the OP.

PD, thanks for the family tree!

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:

You clearly haven't been talking to many Episcopalians.
Bingo! I have engaged more with with continuing Anglicans from The Anglican Mission in America (AMIA) who are starting to think that falling under the omophorion of Uganda one week and then Rwanda the next, may not be the most sustainable of structures for a US church. I have primarily interacted with folks who are now considering Roman Catholicism or Eastern Orthodoxy.

IME the continuing Anglicans I have met have been rather low church - but with enough knowledge of church history that they would like to check the Apostolic succession box. I find the description of the AMIA's episcopal leadership structure confusing.

And if, for the sake of this discussion, we can all agree not to call them spin-offs and schismatics, then I won't call Rome and Canterbury spin-offs and schismatics. [Devil]

[ 15. October 2012, 12:26: Message edited by: Ruudy ]

Posted by Fr Weber (# 13472) on :

quote:

I refuse to be ruled by your semantic preferences, sir.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

I didn't realise until I saw the list how many of these there are? But of them, which ones are of significant size and doing significant work for the advancement of the Kingdom? I've only heard of two in this country, and by all reports, they are are both tiny - one by the way is I think about 150 years old, and is still tiny.

I'm not aware that either of them has achieved more towards the reconversion of the hosts of the ungodly than what they presumably regard as the erastian and Laodicean ecclesial community presided over by ++ Rowan and John.

Also, why are there so many? Why don't people who fall out with the current ECUSA or get thrown out of it, simply join an existing freelance ecclesial community rather than form yet another new one?

Enoch : Mt 18:20 & Lk 15:7.

[Biased]

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

quote:
quote:
In North America the term "continuing" is not used. ...

It is perhaps useful to keep in mind, Who is doing the naming?

I'm guessing that, in the initial flush of separation, the term Continuing Anglican seemed a convenient collective moniker by those who could not in good conscience remain within the Episcopal Church, by virtue of the fact that there were more than a few groups who found themselves in that situation. Especially as this separation has, in the current wave, been going on since 1977, or so.

The following poking around for search terms is not definitive of usage, but certainly seems suggestive to me. So, to Mr. Rob's point, then, these google searches, to pick only three of the more prominent groups:
quote:
  1. site:http://anglicanchurch.net/ continuing
  2. site:http://www.theamia.org/ continuing
  3. site:http://www.anglicanpck.org/ continuing
    ...and...
  4. site:http://anglicanchurch.net/ continuum
  5. site:http://www.theamia.org/ continuum
  6. site:http://www.anglicanpck.org/ continuum

turn up essentially nothing that suggests these churches' publicity arms refer to their churches as Continuing or part of a Continuum. (There were only three such uses of Continuing and none for Continuum.)

Though Continuing and Continuum were essentially a grab for a terminological legitimacy ("we're not like that other lot who've changed beyond recognition"), it's a definition by exclusion. Nought wrong with that; but, it seems that ACNA and AMiA, at least, are just getting on with "being church," to use that unsettling Episcopalianism, rather than remaining locked in struggle with what-they-are-not.

This may be the view from the inside.

For those outside these groups, since they are relatively small (perhaps, only for the moment) and their constitution is in flux, it may be convenient, as in the Wikipedia articles, to clump them together under this convenient term, Continuing Anglicans. Note our opening poster's decoration of his first use of the word Continuing with single quote marks.

As far as lumping and splitting go, since splitting is one of the unarguable Notes of the Fissiparous West (wherever this may be), the word Schismatic retains a certain utility, for what is happening is certainly schism; though perhaps, we can employ the word, when necessary, with charity. Can I suggest we leave Spin-off for deadline-pressed journalists?

[ 15. October 2012, 19:31: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posted by georgiaboy (# 11294) on :

quote:
Originally posted by PD:

… Albert Chambers, Bishop of Springfield, who on 28/1/1978 consecrated

C.D.Dale Doren, Bishop of the Diocese of the Midwest; Peter Watterson, Bishop of the Diocese of the Southeast; James Orin Mote, Bishop of the Diocese of the Holy Trinity (Rockies and Plains States) ; and Robert Sherwood Morse, Bishop of the Diocese of Christ the King (Left Coast). …
PD

It's been a long time ago, but was this not the famous/infamous 'consecration by cable-gram,' in which a scheduled-to-coconsecrate' bishop from Asia (IIRC) couldn't get there to lay on hands, but sent his agreement by cable?

quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

… Albert Chambers, Bishop of Springfield, who on 28/1/1978 consecrated

C.D.Dale Doren, Bishop of the Diocese of the Midwest; Peter Watterson, Bishop of the Diocese of the Southeast; James Orin Mote, Bishop of the Diocese of the Holy Trinity (Rockies and Plains States) ; and Robert Sherwood Morse, Bishop of the Diocese of Christ the King (Left Coast). …
PD

It's been a long time ago, but was this not the famous/infamous 'consecration by cable-gram,' in which a scheduled-to-coconsecrate' bishop from Asia (IIRC) couldn't get there to lay on hands, but sent his agreement by cable?
Yes--that would have been Mark Pae, I think, from S. Korea.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

Wait, wait, he did the bishop equivalent of "phoning it in?" Assuming I'm reading the above post correctly, can that possibly be a valid consecration? And to tie this back (loosely perhaps) to the OP, wouldn't the laying-on of hands be a necessary part of Apostolic Succession?*

*I get that the "unbroken line" notion is disputed in some quarters, but shouldn't we give it our best shot nowadays? [/aside]

[ 16. October 2012, 20:54: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

Technically, it only takes one bishop. The others are insurance.

Of course, that is tradition. This probably depends on the canons of the church in question. If the canons demand three, then perhaps it is valid but illicit, or simply invalid.

Insurance, perhaps--but more importantly, I think, a symbol of collegiality, that it isn't just one rogue bishop acting on his own.

Valid, but illicit? Probably, at least from ECUSA's point of view. It was certainly an irregular consecration, but if its canonical regularity invalidates it then the validity of post-Roman Catholic consecrations in England becomes questionable as well.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what has any of this got to do with worship practice? [Confused]

Posted by Spiffy (# 5267) on :

I'm suddenly wondering if a telegram assenting to the consecration of a bishop is valid if it's not on paper that's the liturgical color of the day.

Valid but illicit.

Canons of the Episcopal Church, 150.7.2a (Singing telegrams in the Tonus Peregrinus need not meet color requirements.) Passed by resolution at General Convention, 1976.

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Perhaps I'm missing something, but what has any of this got to do with worship practice?

Probably more than my disquisition on the nomenclature of folk separated from the Episcopal Church, the Anglican church in the Americas below the 49th parallel.

It is partially the touchy-feely portion of the liturgy that is in question, the laying on of (which!) episcopal hands.

Besides, I'm guessing the Purgatory hosts are earnestly wishing for discussion of licit, valid, illicit, invalid, and episcopi vagantes in general to bleed onto their board. I could be wrong, though.

[ 17. October 2012, 03:25: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

Ok. Let's go to Purgatory...

seasick, Eccles host

Posted by Mark Betts (# 17074) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Perhaps I'm missing something, but what has any of this got to do with worship practice? [Confused]

You are missing something - it all depends on one's view of what "The Church" is. We all want to be part of the Church which Christ founded don't we?

So some will say that to be part of that One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, your local church and it's bishop need to be succeeded from the founders of the Church - the Apostles. That way, it is not only Holy Scripture which is passed on to succeeding generations, but also Apostolic Tradition, for example in the form of liturgy for Holy Communion.

But others take the view of an "invisible" church, where to be a part of it, the local church needs to be faithful to the teaching of the Apostles found in the Bible - that means that anyone can stroll into WH Smith, buy a Bible and study it, then set up their own "true" church. That is why there are 20 000 or more different protestant denominations - each one claiming to have a correct and biblical understanding of Apostolic teaching.

Sorry for double post, but I forgot to mention the issue of Authority - for it is this Authority which Christ gave to his Apostles when he charged them with their mission. It is this Authority, particularly with the Sacraments, which is handed down in Apostolic Succession, by the laying on of hands.

Within this is Holy Tradition, which contains the interpretation of Holy Scripture, which the Church is bound by.

The alternative, Sola Scripture, will insist that, as we are all part of a Priesthood, therefore we all have the authority to interpret Scripture - but it leaves the problem of us all interpreting it differently.

I'm just talking off the top of my head, so I probably haven't explained it all very well, but I'm sure others will fill in the gaps - or give a better rendition of things from the Protestant side.

@Spike:
Ooops! I only just noticed that you were Admin - forgive me if I have stepped out of line!

[Hot and Hormonal] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Posted by Pre-cambrian (# 2055) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
The alternative, Sola Scripture, will insist that, as we are all part of a Priesthood, therefore we all have the authority to interpret Scripture - but it leaves the problem of us all interpreting it differently.

I have no truck with sola scriptura, but to correct this it means that only what is found in scripture is a valid basis for doctrine, morality, worship practice etc. I.e. no role for tradition. It doesn't imply anything to do with the Priesthood of all believers or each christian's interpretation of his bible, even if that has been an accretion in some circles.

Well, close.

Sola scriptura is the belief that Scripture alone contains all knowledge necessary for salvation. It doesn't mean the automatic exclusion of whatever is not found in Scripture; both Luther and Hooker* express that very clearly. (Hyper-Calvinists espouse the Regulative Principle of Worship, but that's something a bit different)

It means that any other authority has to be subordinate to God's Word, and where it contradicts that Word it must be discarded. It doesn't mean that tradition is of no value--Luther wasn't against church decorations, vestments, or ceremony--just that tradition is not to be given primacy or equality with Scripture.

*The so-called "three-legged stool" is actually a misquotation of Hooker's hierarchy of authority (first Scripture, then Reason, then Tradition).

Posted by k-mann (# 8490) on :

quote:
Go to Anglicans Online and look at what is considered to be a definitive listing of the many Anglican/Episcopal churches listed as 'not in communion with Canterbury'. Many of them proudly display their lists of episcopal lineage by tactile succession. For some, that list is their only claim to fame. There is a deal of play with the words Anglican and Episcopal, despite the fact that they are not recognized by the See of Canterbury or the Instruments of Communion.

Neither the Church of England nor the Episcopal Church are recognized by the Holy See, yet they still retain the use of ‘catholic.’ Why is it OK for someone do so so, bu not OK for someone who has broken off from the Church of England or the Episcopal Church to retain the use of ‘anglican’ or ‘episcopal’? Are those terms any more ‘sacred’? Do the Anglican communion ‘own’ these terms? Should I, who am part of the Lutheran Church of Norway, demand that Lutheran free churches should stop to define themselves as ‘Lutheran’?

I don't mind if they call themselves Episcopalians or Anglicans, but they probably ought to come around to the fact that the Anglican Communion in the United States is The Episcopal Church.

At least until, and if, they get their own invitations to Lambeth.

Maybe I'm biased, but barring a true blue conservative in Canterbury I can't really see that happening.

quote:
Go to Anglicans Online and look at what is considered to be a definitive listing of the many Anglican/Episcopal churches listed as 'not in communion with Canterbury'...

Sorry but I think you have misrepresented this list. This is not a list of churches not in communion with Canterbury. This is a list of Anglican churches without formal relations with Canterbury.

It is a list of churches not in the Anglican Communion. Which this site notes "To be part of it, a church must have a formal relation with the See of Canterbury." The site goes onto explain that "It is entirely possible for a church to be in full communion with the Anglican Church without being in the Anglican Communion."

Does it matter whether your organizational body is large enough and formal enough to have formal relations with Canterbury or have its leader invited to Lambeth - just so long as the faithful are still in communion with Canterbury?

Am I missing something? Maybe I am approaching things from an Eastern Orthodox perspective. I think we'd treat communion as the test, not formal relations. We are used to multiple jurisdictions (not quite as many as are on this list) with overlapping geography here in North America. It's far from ideal and we are working to change it, but it's a matter of fact at this time.

And how do you know which of these churches are in communion with Canterbury and which are not? Is there a list?

[ 19. October 2012, 01:55: Message edited by: Ruudy ]

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

Perhaps someone has more knowledge of this than I, but is not the Church of England in South Africa in communion with Canterbury, but without formal relations?

Posted by Sir Pellinore (# 12163) on :

This interview with CESA's Presiding Bishop might clarify its situation vis a vis the Anglican Communion to you, Augustine.

http://frstephensmuts.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/interview-with-church-of-england-in-south-africa-presiding-bishop-desmond-ingl esby/

Speaking as a fairly ordinary English member of the CofE, and looking out from these islands, I suspect most of us would puzzle how a person can call themselves an Anglican, or why they should want to, unless they belong to a church which is in Communion with ++ Canterbury. We would also puzzle how one could legitimately have two Anglican ecclesial communities both claiming to be covering the same area.

Looking out from here, the two areas where there are problems that we are most conscious of are Zimbabwe and the USA. In Zimbabwe, an excommunicated bishop with government support has tried to usurp the legitimate church. Most of us take it for granted that the one we are really in communion with is that led by Bishop Chandiya.

Despite all the talk of this on the Ship, I know less about the USA and find it harder to understand. It looks as though the one ++ Canterbury is formally in communion is the ECUSA, but it is obvious that since the last Lambeth Conference, intercommunion has become a bit tentative and rocky.

This may be very unfair. As I say, I don't know enough about it. But from here, it also does not look as though some of the key people at the top of the ECUSA seem to care much about this, or to be prepared to stretch themselves to repair bridges or to fit in with other churches in the Communion. From here also - and again, I may be being grossly unfair - it also looks as though that leadership is aggressive and litigious towards clergy and laity further down the tree who do not agree with them totally and completely in all things.

Nevertheless, for so long as the ECUSA is the church in communion for the USA, I don't see that any other ecclesial community there can properly be Anglican.

There are only three orders. Notionally, all bishops are equal. So, where possibly things could be more complex would be if a jurisdiction evicted an entire diocese and tried to replace it with their own tame nominees, or if, following the Zimbabwe example, if a jurisdiction excommunicated key members of its own hierarchy, who then refused to go.

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore:
This interview with CESA's Presiding Bishop might clarify its situation vis a vis the Anglican Communion to you, Augustine.

http://frstephensmuts.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/interview-with-church-of-england-in-south-africa-presiding-bishop-desmond-ingl esby/

That seems to be an incredibly one-sided interview, not least with the accusation (from the interviewer!) that the recognised Anglican Church of Southern Africa has been "bought" by the PECUSA. There is far more than just the name of CESA that associates it with apartheid.

Most informative for me, from that interview, is that they seem to think TEC is a vastly wealthy, world wide conspiracy to co-opt the True Faith. I wonder how they would react if they found out that there's less than 2 million of us, and that we can hardly afford a full time priest at nigh 75% of our parishes.

I fear that, having read through the interview, I'm not much further ahead although some details on their co-operation commission with the CPSA (now the ACSA?) might be helpful. I agree with other shipmates in that he had some odd preoccupations.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore:

The kindest description of the interview would be that it was very, very soft. Fancy an interviewer stating as an accepted fact that TEC had bought the mainstream Anglican church!

As a bit of a tangent perhaps, CESA has always had very strong links with Sydney, and in particular the parish of Christ Church St Ives. This was so even in the days when CESA was a supporter of the apartheid regime. Ironic given the presence in St Ives of a substantial population of Jewish refugees from South Africa.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Speaking as a fairly ordinary English member of the CofE, and looking out from these islands, I suspect most of us would puzzle how a person can call themselves an Anglican, or why they should want to, unless they belong to a church which is in Communion with ++ Canterbury.

Some of us might also puzzle how a person--scratch that, entire *parishes* who no longer use the Prayer Book can call themselves Anglican (Common Washup doesn't qualify as the Prayer Book).

Before going so far, though, I'd hope we would realize how fatuous it is to reduce an entire religious tradition to one incidental detail.

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Wait, wait, he did the bishop equivalent of "phoning it in?" Assuming I'm reading the above post correctly, can that possibly be a valid consecration? And to tie this back (loosely perhaps) to the OP, wouldn't the laying-on of hands be a necessary part of Apostolic Succession?*

*I get that the "unbroken line" notion is disputed in some quarters, but shouldn't we give it our best shot nowadays? [/aside]

Actually letters of consent of various kinds have been used in the past where there have been considerable difficulties in assembling a groupof bishops to perform a consecration. For example, John Carroll, first (Arch)bishop of Baltimore was consecrated by a single bishop with the Papal Letters of appointment supplying the rest; the same happened a few years later when Carroll consecrated a couple of bishops solo with Papal letters providing the necessary top up.

Old Catholic Orders depend on a whole series of solo consecrations from Villette onwards, and no-one says much about their validity, and the matter of irregularity is glossed over.

In the Anglican context, Bishop Cummins (Asst. KY) consecrated Edward Cheney of the REC in a highly irregular manner - both clergymen were under suspension for basically not towing the High Church line on Baptismal Regeneration and Intercommunion. But no-one seems to employ much energy being venomous about them, and that applied even back in the 1890s.

It should also be noted that the present SSPX bishops are the product of a solo consecration by Lefebre without Papal Mandate, but Rome seems to treat them, like the mainstream of the Duarte-Costa succession as aving valid, if irregularly conferred, orders.

The Denver Consecrations should have had four bishops present - Chambers, Pagtakhan, Eastaugh and Pae - but two were unable to come. Eastaugh was hospitalized with heart problems in January 1978, and Pae had various issues that prevented him from attending. The use of a letter of consent, although unusual and undesireable, does not in and of itself make the consecration invalid. I do not argue with anyone who says that the Denver Consecrations were irregular, but it probably has as much to do with the various methods by which the dioceses were erected, which the bishops elected to fill than with the actual circumstances of the consecration. As it happens the only one of the four whose consecration depended on the Letter of Consent was Bishop Doren. Being between a rock and a hardplace it was decided that he should serve as the second co-consecrator for Watterson, Morse, and Mote. That resulted in another round of squawking from the Traddies in ECUSA, but there you go. Assents from the various dioceses of the original ACNA had been garnered for all four men, so it was about as unirregular as it could have been under the circumstances.

Since then ACC, APCK and UECNA have been keen to avoid irregularities. There is, after all, no need to make the same mistakes twice! At the last ACC consecration, which was of a Missionary Bishop for the Congo, there were seven bishops from two jurisdictions present and participating in the laying-on of hands. The legal formalities concerning writ of election, consents, etc., were followed to the letter. This should be enough to demonstrate that at least at the more responsible end of the Anglican Continuum, procedure is only departed from in cases of genuine neccessity.

PD

From a lay perspective; I wonder whether or not the nature or quality of the consecrations by the laying on of hands, letter or even by email actually matters as attendances at Church decline. After all; the Episcopacy aren't like performers and the laity don't know which apostolic succession is 'better' or 'worse' than another. It's the nature of the ministry that matters, right?

My observation is that the presence of Rwanda and Uganda seems to have 'let the geni' out of the bottle in the same way that Arnold Harris Matthew and Vilatte saw the increase in numbers of 'free' bishops. Perhaps we can speculate that the Episcopalians in North America are heading quickly to some sort of 'Vagentes' existence with the passing of time and the dilution of the Anglican line?

My remaining thought with the passing of time and contemporary developments in Anglicanism, "Does the historical presence of an Old Catholic in the line of Matthew/Vilatte invalidate the 'spin-off', 'traditional' or 'continuing' Episcopalian bishop?"

I'm not sure what you mean by "the dilution of the Anglican line," Godric. Bishops are inducted into the fullness of the episcopacy- there is no partial consecration. It technically only takes one bishop to confer orders.

Hello Zach,

I meant the insertion of more and more 'non-Anglicans' such as Old Catholics into an Anglican organisation although, as you say, that is perhaps the wrong way of thinking about Episcopacy.

It must require more than the simple laying on of hands to make a true bishop. It must take place within some sort of ecclesial community that calls and recognises within itself and preferably in a relationship with others. Otherwise, a rogue retired bishop with a disbelief in the ontologically supernatural and a pay per view website could offer consecrations as an extra and we would all be expected to recognise them.

I don't know of any Anglican theologians that believe Anglican Orders have their own special charism. So far as High Church Anglicans are concerned, orders are Catholic and come from Christ.

The appeal to Old Catholics was (ostensibly at any rate) grounded in the hope of convincing the pope that we've got valid orders after all, since the Roman Catholic Church rejects the validity of Anglican orders.

Edit: It actually takes the laying on of hands and the intent of the bishop to do as the Church has always done. Wording is a matter of some (rather surprising) debate.

[ 28. October 2012, 13:09: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

Many of these posts, and perhaps the OP itself, seem concerned with the apostolic succession of bishops, a mark of its ecclesial catholicity, as the same thing as the validity in the tactile succession of the ordination of bishops. Tactile succession, meaning bishops after bishops, generation after generation, laying hands in succession with prayer and invocation of the Holy Spirit, all the way back to the Apostles (apostolic). A lot of people believe that.

It's all popular church myth, somewhat akin to an urban legend. Tactile succession does exist in a somewhat limited way for the modern historical era, but it cannot be documented with any kind of certainty before the 15th cen. Only scattered documentary evidence of bishops consecrations or mandates for bishops consecrations exist from before that time. These scattered references cannot be pieced together to establish any kind of documented tactile succession of bishops back to the Apostles in the western or eastern churches.

All documented consecrations in the Roman church are traced back to Cardinal Scipione Rebiba (1504-77). The line of properly documented tactile sucsession consecrations of bishops stops there with him.

Rebiba was appointed auxiliary bishop of Chieti in 1541. During the consistory of December 20, 1555, he was created a cardinal and appointed Archbishop of Pisa. It is widely believed that Rebiba was consecrated by Gian Pietro Carafa, the cardinal who became Pope Paul IV, but supporting documentation for that has not been found, and therefore the episcopal genealogies stop at Rebiba.

In the early 18th cen, Pope Benedict XIII, whose holy orders were descended from Rebiba, personally consecrated at least 139 bishops for various important European sees, including German, French, English and New World bishops. These bishops in turn consecrated bishops almost exclusively for their respective countries causing other episcopal lineages to die off.

Today, more than 91% of the New World's and more than 5,000 Catholic bishops alive today, including Pope Benedict XVI, race their episcopal lineage back to Rebiba.

Anglican and Utrecht Old Catholic bishops are connected to this Rebiba line. The Pre-Reformation tactile successions of England, Ireland and Scotland all died out or are undocumented.

Of course all of this begs the question of the worth of the technicalities of tactile succession. Many theologians today think that for practical purposes theories of tactile successions are next to worthless. It was that view of the episcopate that was embodied in the formularies of the Porvoo Communion.

Porvoo Communion Churches

I must say that I can't help but agree.

One
Holy
Catholic
Apostolic - "Continuing in the Apostles teaching and fellowship."

Zach82 posts:
quote:
Anglican and Utrecht Old Catholic bishops are connected to this Rebiba line. The Pre-Reformation tactile successions of England, Ireland and Scotland all died out or are undocumented.
Utrecht, of course, but the Anglican line is solidly documented at least back to Simon Langham (+1376)-- the problem with pre-Rebiba is that the nature of record-keeping changed at that period and for succession before then the researcher must wade through calendars of warrants and capitular and episcopal records. Detailled registers, such as delight us all (I speak as a retired bureaucrat!!) were not maintained in a way which passes our muster. But mediaeval chronologies (and pre-mediaeval, for those of us who spent today's breakfast looking at the life of S Julian of Toledo) show us the great trouble taken to ensure proper procedures at episcopal consecrations -- there is some good Irish church stuff there for the idle reader. In any case, as the Supreme Court tells us with respect to land claims, oral traditions, critically examined, can be authoritative and conclusive.

Snarling fights at the time of the Montanists over succession and eligibility and duty, I think, set the tone for care in maintaining a tactile succession. The absence of registers in itself proves nothing at all, other than that registers are not there.

The problem, which the Lutherans do emphasize (if only for their own historic reasons), is that the tactile succession is not terribly pertinent if there is no apostolic succession in the teaching of faith.

My recollection is that the English line is traced back to 1377, but then we hit the problem of a missing episcopal register. It is a case of 'we don't know who' rather than 'we don't know if' X. It is the same problem of that of the Rebiba succession, but 150 or so years earlier. Despite quite a bit of effort down the years supporting documentation has not come to light. In the case of the English Succession perhaps not surprisingly. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that somewhere in the Vatican there is a piece of paper that can shed some light on the Rebiba succession. The Carrafa theory is probably correct though.

PD

Since the laying-on of hands is, and has been from earliest times, a component of the consecration of bishops, it's not unreasonable to expect that there is in fact an unbroken tactile succession, even if it's not documented to the satisfaction of academic historians. Need I point out that there are a number of things which historians doubt that Christians believe on faith?

If I recall correctly, the only bishop to jump from Mary to Elizabeth was Matthew Parker. Was the Anglican line ever "reinforced" before the appeal to the Old Catholics?

quote:
If I recall correctly, the only bishop to jump from Mary to Elizabeth was Matthew Parker. Was the Anglican line ever "reinforced" before the appeal to the Old Catholics?

AFAIK only once, by Marco de Dominis, Archbishop of Spalato. I have heard one or two urban legends, but I don't think that they're worth mentioning-- one of them places Cardinal Ghinucci, who was Bishop of Worcester 1522-1535, in the wrong century.

According to Wiki, Owen Oglethorpe was + Carlisle from 1557 IE, under Mary Tudor) and crowned Elizabeth I, a few months before being deprived. I assume that his consecration was within the succession, but do not know if he participated in the consecration of any others. From the same source, those consecrating Matthew Parker included both William Barlow and John Hodgkins; again, I think that their consecrations were within the succession, but cannot verify that.

I meant to add that + Marcantonio Spoleto was not a bishop in England, and AFAIK, did not participate as one in any consecration. There may have been one or perhaps 2 others whose episcopate straddled Mary Tudor and Elizabeth for long enough to have participated, but my copy of Elton is somewhere at home, and I'm not there to verify.

None of Mary's bishops, besides Matthew Parker, participated in any consecrations. None of them would affirm her supremacy over the Church.

quote:
None of Mary's bishops, besides Matthew Parker, participated in any consecrations. None of them would affirm her supremacy over the Church.

In consecrations for the Church of England under Elizabeth, that is...

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
I meant to add that + Marcantonio Spoleto was not a bishop in England, and AFAIK, did not participate as one in any consecration. There may have been one or perhaps 2 others whose episcopate straddled Mary Tudor and Elizabeth for long enough to have participated, but my copy of Elton is somewhere at home, and I'm not there to verify.

Wikipedia is not unimpeachable but reports that Msgr de Dominis participated:
quote:
in the consecration of George Montaigne as Bishop of Lincoln, and Nicolas Felton as Bishop of Bristol on 14 December 1617
I think that there were Irish and Welsh bishops who straddled the reigns of the two queens, but do not have names at hand.

I suppose that his consecration remained, despite his formal appointments in England not being as a bishop*, so he could have validly participated. I'm fairly sure you're right about at least one Welsh bishop straddling; again from memory, probably insecure, he was an Henrician, and was lucky to have survived Edward VI's reign.

* There is perhaps an analogy in the appointment of a bishop as head of the Anglican Brotherhood of St Laurence in Aust - a bishop without a see.

I seem to remember from my schooldays, where I was taught history by someone who would have known such things, that all the first Elizabethan consecrations included Kitchen of Llandaff, or people who had been consecrated by him, because he accepted the Elizabethan settlement and his orders were more pukka.

But it's 45 years since I left school, and my memory might be deceiving me.

Parker was consecrated by +Hodgkin, +Scory, +Coverdale and +Barlow all of whom had been consecrated under either Henry VIII or Edward VI. I think it was +Barlow, who had been consecrated under the old Ordinal, was the principle consecrator. All four had been consecrated by +Cranmer, whose principle consecrator had been +John Longlands of Lincoln. He in turn was consecrated by ++Warham.

Marcantonio De Dominis, former Archbishop of Spoleto, was a co-consecrator of George Montaigne. +Montaigne, as Bishop of London, was IIRC principle consecrator of Laud as Abbot was inhibited due to a gamekeeper problem. From the Laud the De Dominis line passes to most Anglican bishops through +Juxon.

The next top-up would be the participation of Old Catholic bishops in Anglican consecrations after 1932. In the USA, two Polish National Catholic Church bishops participated in the consecration of Horace Donegan as Coadjutor Bishop of New York in 1948, and he in turn was one of the two named co-consecrators of Albert Chambers, who was elected from Church of the Resurrection, NYC to the Diocese of Springfield in 1962.

The PNCC line goes back to ++Gul of Utrecht, who consecrate Bishop Hodur about 1908. Ultimately that line goes back to Bishop Bossuet, court reacher to Louis XIV and to Cardinal Barbarini, the brother, IIRC, of Pope Urban VIII.

PD

Do consecrations last forever in their descendents or do consecrations fade over time?

By that I mean : Do Anglicans need a constant 'top-up' of Old Catholic orders to prevent any hint of a lack of validity? Would an Orthodox participant at a consecration offer more to Anglicans than an Old Catholic from Utrecht?

quote:
Do consecrations last forever in their descendents or do consecrations fade over time?

By that I mean : Do Anglicans need a constant 'top-up' of Old Catholic orders to prevent any hint of a lack of validity? Would an Orthodox participant at a consecration offer more to Anglicans than an Old Catholic from Utrecht?

I think that the idea was to foreclose on one of the objections of RC theologians in the wake of Leo XIII's Apostolicae Curae who suggested that the 1552 ordinal was too weak, even if that of 1662 was not. The Dutch touch injection addressed that objection as well as that of a break in tactile succession in 1561. A third nail in the Leonine coffin was the Latin declaration of intent by the OC consecrators, which addressed the objection of a lack of catholic intent on the part of consecrators.

An Orthodox bishop's help would have addressed most of the objections just as well, but Orthodox ecclesiology would not have permitted participation, as much as Anglicans of the era might have liked. Either way, there is no need for a renewed injection. Once it's there, it's there.

Posted by CL (# 16145) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:

I think that the idea was to foreclose on one of the objections of RC theologians in the wake of Leo XIII's Apostolicae Curae who suggested that the 1552 ordinal was too weak, even if that of 1662 was not. The Dutch touch injection addressed that objection as well as that of a break in tactile succession in 1561. A third nail in the Leonine coffin was the Latin declaration of intent by the OC consecrators, which addressed the objection of a lack of catholic intent on the part of consecrators.

An Orthodox bishop's help would have addressed most of the objections just as well, but Orthodox ecclesiology would not have permitted participation, as much as Anglicans of the era might have liked. Either way, there is no need for a renewed injection. Once it's there, it's there.

Dr William Tighe wrote the following on a blog a few years ago on the matter of the 'Dutch Touch':

quote:
If Francis Clark is right in his *Anglican Orders and Defect of Intention* (1956) — the best book I have read on the subject — the so-called “Dutch Touch” may make no difference, if (1) the ordination rite being used is the same as Cranmer’s Anglican Ordinal of 1552, or substantially the same (as with the 1662 Prayer Book’s revision of those rites) and (2) if the non-Anglican “touchers” participated by using the Anglican rite only, or by laying-on their hands in silence.

This last is what happened in those cases in which bishops of the Polish National Catholic Church participated in various Anglican episcopal consecration ceremonies in America and Canada between 1946 and 1971: they either enunciated the words of the Anglican rite or simply laid-on their hands in silence (as the last surviving PNCC bishop who participated in such consecrations himself told me 12 years ago). In England the “Dutch touchers” always between 1932 and 1959 and on occasion as late as 1974, enunciated the “Accipe Spiritum Sanctum …” etc. from the Roman Pontifical, at he same time as the Anglican consecrating archbishop and bishops were enunciated “Receive the Holy Ghost …” etc. from the 1662 Prayer Book rite (after the early 1970s the Dutch Old Catholics discontinued their use of the Roman Pontifical in favor of their own new ordination rites). Many 19th-Century scholars, Catholic as well as otherwise, thought that “Accipe Spiritum Sanctum …” etc. had been the “form” of the sacrament before the 1442 Decretum pro Armenis declared it to be the porrectio instrumentorum; although by the time that Pius XII promulgated the Apostolic Constitution on the Matter and Form of Holy Orders it had been generally realized that both the porrectio instrumentorum and the injunction “Accipe Spiritum Sanctum …” etc. had alike entered Catholic ordination rites in the High Middle Ages.

As far as the 1662 Prayer Book’s alteration of the Anglican episcopal ordination prayer, I leave it for readers to consider whether it in any way altered the sense of the rite. The 1552 prayer ran” “Take the Holy Ghost, and remember that thou stir up the Grace of God, which is in thee by the imposition of hands: for God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and love, and of soberness.” That of 1662 runs “Receive the Holy Ghost for the office and work of a Bishop in the Church of God, now committed to thee by the imposition of our hands; In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen. And remember that thou stir up the Grace of God which is given thee by this imposition of our hands; for God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and love, and soberness.”

The Anglican rite for the ordination of priests was likewise altered to include the phrase “for the office and work of a Priest in the Church of God now committed to thee by the imposition of our hands” which had likewise been absent from that rite (although in that for the diaconate Cranmer’s rite had run “Take thou authority to execute the office of a Deacon in the Church of God committed unto thee; in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Amen,” which remained unchanged in 1662). These seem to me to be changes more of a cosmetic nature than of a substantial one, although thay may have been a response to one (among many) Catholic arguments asserting the inadequacy and invalidity of the Anglican rites, that they did not specify the Order being conferred by them.

Suffice to say, hopes of Rome ever recognizing Anglican Orders, even with the Dutch Touch, were always forlorn.

Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras (# 11274) on :

The preface to Cranmer's Ordinal, however, makes it clear that there are three historic orders of ministry in the Church, and that it is intended to perpetuate these orders. The defect of intent, if indeed there were any, would lie not in the verbal formula of ordination, but rather in the issue of whether the Reformers were really meaning to do what the Church had always done when conferring the orders of the tripartite ministries. The formulaic words might arguably point to a defect, but don't constitute the ostensible defect itself, nor are they proof positive of such a defect. Rather, one must resort to other material to infer a defective intention in the Reformers' approach to the historic orders. In my view, this puts the inquisitor on very shaky ground, especially if it is admitted that the Church's theology of orders has not been absolutely static over the course of its history.

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

quote:
Suffice to say, hopes of Rome ever recognizing Anglican Orders, even with the Dutch Touch, were always forlorn.

I always find it ironic when Anglicans complain their orders aren't recognised by Rome when they treat other traditions in exactly the same way. Sauce for the goose and all that?

quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
I always find it ironic when Anglicans complain their orders aren't recognised by Rome when they treat other traditions in exactly the same way. Sauce for the goose and all that?

As do I. If we believed the pope had a right to declare Anglican orders invalid (based, it would seem, on his ability to read the minds of Reformation era bishops), wouldn't we be Roman Catholics? I was just stating what I thought to be a fairly obvious fact.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:

By that I mean : Do Anglicans need a constant 'top-up' of Old Catholic orders to prevent any hint of a lack of validity?

I think this is as much hocus pocus as homeopathy (where the more dilution, the more power).

quote:
quote:

Actually, they don't, and this is a critical fact when it comes to looking at how the Porvoo agreement and the US and Canadian concordats with the Lutherans are working out. Mind you, there's a great deal of incoherence and inconsistency over this (it can be argued that the RCs go entirely overboard in the other direction). As well, Anglicans participation in South Asian church union, as well as in the now-expired COCU and ACoC/UCC plans, make it pretty clear that Anglicans have been quite open on the issue--- certainly far too much for good ecclesiology, but that's another tangent.

Lietuvos does have a point, in that Apostolicae Curae passes over a centuries of theory and practice in ordination matters; the idle may notice that much of the Anglican Archbishops' reply (Saepius Officio) is occupied in laying that out with buckets of examples uncomfortable to Leo XIII's logic. I find that, whenever these examples are brought up in discussions, one is briskly informed that The Discussion Has Moved On.

Having read far too much on the topic, I think it reasonable to ask to what degree ecclesiastical politics (by this, I do not mean petty politics, but rather working out major policy issues) has to do with the formal theological positions taken.

quote:
Originally posted by k-mann:
quote:

Neither the Church of England nor the Episcopal Church are recognized by the Holy See, yet they still retain the use of ‘catholic.’ Why is it OK for someone do so so, bu not OK for someone who has broken off from the Church of England or the Episcopal Church to retain the use of ‘anglican’ or ‘episcopal’? Are those terms any more ‘sacred’? Do the Anglican communion ‘own’ these terms? Should I, who am part of the Lutheran Church of Norway, demand that Lutheran free churches should stop to define themselves as ‘Lutheran’?
quote:
I don't mind if they call themselves Episcopalians or Anglicans, but they probably ought to come around to the fact that the Anglican Communion in the United States is The Episcopal Church.

Which suggests that the Anglican Communion (those churches in communion with +Canterbury) 'owns' the label 'Anglican.' Which is like saying that the Roman Catholic Church 'owns' the label 'Catholic,' or that the historic Lutheran churches in Europe, and their sister churches, 'own' the label 'Lutheran.'

quote:
Which suggests that the Anglican Communion (those churches in communion with +Canterbury) 'owns' the label 'Anglican.' Which is like saying that the Roman Catholic Church 'owns' the label 'Catholic,' or that the historic Lutheran churches in Europe, and their sister churches, 'own' the label 'Lutheran.'
Uh, no it doesn't? "Anglican" and "Part of the Anglican Communion" are not the same things.

quote:
[QUOTE]
Uh, no it doesn't? "Anglican" and "Part of the Anglican Communion" are not the same things.

Correct. Above I mentioned the list maintained by Anglicans Online of Churches in the Communion. That AO list actually duplicates the
Provincial Directory found on the web site of the Anglican Communion, and published by the Anglican Communion Secretariat, St. Andrew's House, London.

To be part of the Anglican Communion the church body in question must be recognized by the Instruments of Communion, among which is the see of Canterbury. Many churches or groups use the name Anglican or Episcopal though they are not in fact constituent members of the communion.

Posted by sebby (# 15147) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually, they don't, and this is a critical fact when it comes to looking at how the Porvoo agreement and the US and Canadian concordats with the Lutherans are working out. Mind you, there's a great deal of incoherence and inconsistency over this (it can be argued that the RCs go entirely overboard in the other direction). As well, Anglicans participation in South Asian church union, as well as in the now-expired COCU and ACoC/UCC plans, make it pretty clear that Anglicans have been quite open on the issue--- certainly far too much for good ecclesiology, but that's another tangent.

Lietuvos does have a point, in that Apostolicae Curae passes over a centuries of theory and practice in ordination matters; the idle may notice that much of the Anglican Archbishops' reply (Saepius Officio) is occupied in laying that out with buckets of examples uncomfortable to Leo XIII's logic. I find that, whenever these examples are brought up in discussions, one is briskly informed that The Discussion Has Moved On.

Having read far too much on the topic, I think it reasonable to ask to what degree ecclesiastical politics (by this, I do not mean petty politics, but rather working out major policy issues) has to do with the formal theological positions taken.

That is certainly true. The position of the ghastly Msgr Talbot, and his influence in the papal household lasting into Leo XIII's pontificate with regard to Anglican orders, is well known.

Saepe Officio was a masterly document (not least the splendor of its Latin), but based on answering AC point by point - which it did most successfully.

Following the rather tautuous logic of both documents (to a later generation), one might well point to the absurdity of Pope Alexander VI allowing his early teenage 'nephews' to ordain on his behalf. The lack of clear intention and the frivolity of his action might well shake Anglican confidence in the validity of Italian orders.

However the real issue is of course the nature of the Church. Holy Orders do not stand alone. As Newman once remarked: 'Anglicans believe their orders are valid, therefore they have a valid church; we believe we have a valid Church, therefore our orders are valid.'

quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
However the real issue is of course the nature of the Church. Holy Orders do not stand alone. As Newman once remarked: 'Anglicans believe their orders are valid, therefore they have a valid church; we believe we have a valid Church, sed on answering AC point by point - which ittherefore our orders are valid.' [/QB]

I think this underscores the point that the old approach - in the West, at least - of analyzing a characteristic called "validity" in terms of old categories of matter, form, minister, and intent, most of these brimming over with a priori assumptions, isn't any longer helpful. I find it more useful to explore issues of what constitutes a properly ordered ecclesial community in which the Word is rightly preached and the Sacraments truly and duly administered; likewise, how the polity of an ecclesial community is organised to express a ministry of oversight in which the unity of that part of the Church is manifested, and how various local ministry proceeds from this superordinate ministry of ecclesial oversight, so that ministries are properly ordered, called, ordained, commissioned and legitimised within an overall ecclesial unity.

quote:

I have always regarded the nub of the Roman denial of the validity of Anglican Orders as a manifestation of the 'not-made-here' attitude.

The Anglican refusal to recognize non-episcopal orders stems for the Anglican belief that bishops are at least bene esse in the Church, though higher counsels regard them as essential.

Of course 'top up' is an extremely misleading phrase. However, to write 'another way in which RC objections to the format ++Parker's consecration could be answered is to point to the participation of X. in the consecration of Y.." get a it cumbersome after a while. However, all that about Dutch Touch is a bit too close to the hocus-pocus theory of Apostolic Succession for me, though it does provide Roman theologians with a street to back-up along should they ever need it.

ISTM that Anglicans and Romans both consider themselves Catholic. Anglicans, because the Romans add rather than tae away from The Faith accept Roman orders as valid (there is also the ladder issue) whilst Romans regard Anglicans as subtracting from The Faith and therefore see their orders as invalid.

PD

[ETA Translation link "bene esse" - DT, Purgatory Host]

[ 03. November 2012, 18:06: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

I love hocus pocus and regret that there isn't enough of it in the church these days.

Whilst I have posted elsewhere that it is a question of the nature of the Church, one might expand the touch theory a little further.

It has been said - and I can cite no authorites whatsoever bar one - that when Albania was suffering under perfidious and vile Communism, the RCC sanctioned RC priests to ordain priests due to the impossiblity bishops being allowed to enter the country. This would be an interesting precendent for the apostolic succession being passed through the presbyteral line, and why one might not have any problem with Methodist ordinations.

The 'authority' was a former professor at Tubingen and the Gregorian (Michael Winter) who stated in a lecture that the power to ordain was present in priests but dormant - and reserved to the episcopate.

Slightly digressionally, it has also been suggested that Mary, Queen of Scots possessed a tiny chalice and paten and was authorised by the pope to say Mass for herself when in confinement and unable to receive the ministrations of a priest.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That is certainly true. The position of the ghastly Msgr Talbot, and his influence in the papal household lasting into Leo XIII's pontificate with regard to Anglican orders, is well known.

Saepe Officio was a masterly document (not least the splendor of its Latin), but based on answering AC point by point - which it did most successfully.

Following the rather tautuous logic of both documents (to a later generation), one might well point to the absurdity of Pope Alexander VI allowing his early teenage 'nephews' to ordain on his behalf. The lack of clear intention and the frivolity of his action might well shake Anglican confidence in the validity of Italian orders.

However the real issue is of course the nature of the Church. Holy Orders do not stand alone. As Newman once remarked: 'Anglicans believe their orders are valid, therefore they have a valid church; we believe we have a valid Church, therefore our orders are valid.'

It's funny how no one ever seems to remember that there was responded to Saepius Officio by, among others, Cardinal Vaughan and the bishops of the Province of Westminster: A Vindication of the Bull 'Apostolicae Curae' (London, 1898)

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

Please can I remind folk to translate, or link to a translation of, non-English terms used in their posts. If you are unsure if it needs translation - you can do a quick check here. (Obviously that does not include book titles - though it would help to explain when they are in latin for those readers less up to date with the Vatican's publications.)

Thanks,

Doublethink
Purgatory Host

quote:
It's funny how no one ever seems to remember that there was responded to Saepius Officio by, among others, Cardinal Vaughan and the bishops of the Province of Westminster: A Vindication of the Bull 'Apostolicae Curae' (London, 1898)
What gave you the impression that we had forgotten? I have seen a half dozen replies to it at least.

quote:
quote:
What gave you the impression that we had forgotten? I have seen a half dozen replies to it at least.
And this is meant to be a moderately serious discussion. The so-called 'Vindication' is memorable for the weakness of its arguments, and the flaccidity of its scholarship, but this is hardly surprising given its authorship.

There was a huge vested interest in the so-called 'Vindication'. Were AS to be seen as false (in a sense of course,) then what postion would that have left the English RC hierarchy? : presumably 'the Italian mission to the Irish', as some polemicists unkindly called them. Msgr Talbot amongst others realised this and hence pressure was put on Rome.

Of course as some posts have hinted, the arguments of these interesting historical documents are not entirely helpful as time has rolled by and situations have changed. The Anglican use of Old Catholic bishops on the one hand, and their ordination of women on the other, have made that particualar boat sway from side to side. Also the premise of the argument might be seen as faulty on both sides in terms of intention and manual tranmission.

Once again, in the West the discussion should return to the nature of the Church, and thereafter to the question of Holy Order.

It would be intersting to hear from some Eastern Brethren on this issue. I have heard it said that reconcilation and validity of seemingly defective orders might be righted by a single anointing, but of whom and when I am not sure.

The one anointing concept would certainly be an interesting premise. After all, consecration of the MBS in many traditions does not require touching of every element.

quote:
The so-called 'Vindication' is memorable for the weakness of its arguments, and the flaccidity of its scholarship, but this is hardly surprising given its authorship.

Back up that assertion please.

Simply read it.

quote:
quote:
My initial post dealt with Mr. Rob's suggestion that using 'Episcopal' and 'Anglican' is wrong for churches not in communion with ++Canterbury. I assumed that you agreed with him. If I read you wrong, I'm sorry about that.

The bottom line is that one cannot criticize the Catholic Church for not wanting people to use 'catholic,' and than say that it's wrong for continuing bodies to use 'anglican' or 'episcopal.'

quote:
Simply read it.

So you've got nothing. Thanks for that.

quote:

My initial post dealt with Mr. Rob's suggestion that using 'Episcopal' and 'Anglican' is wrong for churches not in communion with ++Canterbury.

I reviewed the posts of this thread to find out where I said that. As far as I can see, I said ...
quote:
... but that is not the same thing as saying their use of Anglican/Episcopal is wrong per se.

However their use of the names can be misleading or duplicitous, as in the case of the so-called "Episcopal" Diocese of Fort Worth, which has in fact separated from The Episcopal Church. I their case, the continued use of the name Episcopal is blatantly misleading, especially as they are now part of the separatist Anglican Church of North America (ACNA), a group of churches that hoped (hopes?) to be but isn't part of the Anglican Communion.

Most of the many other examples of "Anglican/Episcopal" churches I could mention believe that the observance of Anglican/Episcopal externals are what make them such. Their lack of recognition by Canterbury and the Instruments of Communion are ignored when, in fact such recognition is essential to being part of the Anglican Communion.

I for one don't think that a church can properly called Anglican or Episcopal without holding membership in the Communion. Continued use of Anglican/Episcopal names by spurious groups are often merely part of a cheap con games to deceive ignorant laity.

Posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard (# 368) on :

Joy. Let's find more of the same old same old to look, be, weird, out of touch, divide, disunite, compete, hate one another.

Babylon.

quote:
I love hocus pocus and regret that there isn't enough of it in the church these days.

Whilst I have posted elsewhere that it is a question of the nature of the Church, one might expand the touch theory a little further.

It has been said - and I can cite no authorites whatsoever bar one - that when Albania was suffering under perfidious and vile Communism, the RCC sanctioned RC priests to ordain priests due to the impossiblity bishops being allowed to enter the country. This would be an interesting precendent for the apostolic succession being passed through the presbyteral line, and why one might not have any problem with Methodist ordinations.

The 'authority' was a former professor at Tubingen and the Gregorian (Michael Winter) who stated in a lecture that the power to ordain was present in priests but dormant - and reserved to the episcopate.

Slightly digressionally, it has also been suggested that Mary, Queen of Scots possessed a tiny chalice and paten and was authorised by the pope to say Mass for herself when in confinement and unable to receive the ministrations of a priest.

Ah yes, this is all fairly familiar territory. Luther justified presbyters ordaining bishops on the basis of the dormancy theory. Late mediaeval ruminations about the nature of Holy Orders often seem to regard three major orders as subdeacon, deacon, priest with the last divided between Bishops who exercise the fullness of the priesthood, and priests who were seen as modern versions of the chorepiscope of the early Church. Odd as that theory sounds to modern ears, it may not be that far from the truth given how difficult it is to prove that the Episcopate and the Presbyterate are completely separate and distinct orders in the Early Church.

+PD

Yes, that's my understanding of ecclesiology/theology of orders in the late middle ages, too. Whereas the high church stream in Anglicanism has always looked at the episcopate as the essential order, for which presbyters deputise - and this seems at least congruent with the patristic concept that "the Church is in the bishop" - the late mediaeval notion seems to have reversed this idea, making bishops merely into high priests, promoted to the full exercise of the priestly ministry from the rank and file of the presbyterate. In Lutheran bodies lacking the historic episcopal succession, this seems mediaeval catholic orientation seems to have continued up to the present (and perhaps is likewise maintained in those Lutheran churches that do possess the historic episcopal succession). Yet, there seem to be vestiges of the mediaeval view hanging on in the Roman Catholic Church, in which the unique Petrine office diminishes the episcopal ministry (in my reading at any rate)to something that is less than the patristic, big-O Orthodox, and modern/high Anglican view of the episcopate.

Again, my own view is that the relation of apostolicity to ordained ministry is more to do with the way the functions of episcopacy - a unifying ministry of governance and oversight - have developed and are exercised within a given ecclesial community that claims to be a constituent part of the Una Sancta, as opposed to an ostensibly unbroken succession of bishops consecrating bishops.

quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
Yet, there seem to be vestiges of the mediaeval view hanging on in the Roman Catholic Church, in which the unique Petrine office diminishes the episcopal ministry (in my reading at any rate)to something that is less than the patristic, big-O Orthodox, and modern/high Anglican view of the episcopate.

Whether this derives from a late mediaeval understanding of orders or not, I'd agree with the consequences. It's a bit difficult to talk about the collegiality of the bishops, if one of them has authority to take decisions and make pronouncements that pip all the others.

Sebby writes:
quote:

I think I would need to see authorities for this. The RCs went to great lengths (generally unsuccesful) in the USSR under Stalin, sending in quickly-imprisoned bishops with wide-ranging faculties to ordain priests and consecrate bishops. Further efforts in postward Czechoslovakia included consecrating several clandestine worker bishops (at least one of whom was married) to ensure the ordination of priests for the underground church. There are a few books on the resolution of the canonical untidiness, which seems to have been bluntly done by the Vatican-- the one I saw had texts of the authorities given by Paul VI for the clandestine bishops.

My only Albanian contacts knew nothing of any clergy at all when they lived there in Enver Hoxha's day, although one had heard of lay baptisms and had once been present at absolution prayers at a relative's deathbed. She herself was conditionally baptized at a Latin RC parish in Ottawa before her marriage.

I have heard that there were Anglican presbyteral ordinations in Maoist China but these clerics seem to now be in connexional evangelical groups. However the RCs in China had (and still have) both schismatic Patriotic bishops as well as above-ground and underground papal bishops, and both sorts appear to focus on correct and careful ritual practice.

quote:
Sebby writes:
quote:

I think I would need to see authorities for this. The RCs went to great lengths (generally unsuccesful) in the USSR under Stalin, sending in quickly-imprisoned bishops with wide-ranging faculties to ordain priests and consecrate bishops. Further efforts in postward Czechoslovakia included consecrating several clandestine worker bishops (at least one of whom was married) to ensure the ordination of priests for the underground church. There are a few books on the resolution of the canonical untidiness, which seems to have been bluntly done by the Vatican-- the one I saw had texts of the authorities given by Paul VI for the clandestine bishops.

My only Albanian contacts knew nothing of any clergy at all when they lived there in Enver Hoxha's day, although one had heard of lay baptisms and had once been present at absolution prayers at a relative's deathbed. She herself was conditionally baptized at a Latin RC parish in Ottawa before her marriage.

I have heard that there were Anglican presbyteral ordinations in Maoist China but these clerics seem to now be in connexional evangelical groups. However the RCs in China had (and still have) both schismatic Patriotic bishops as well as above-ground and underground papal bishops, and both sorts appear to focus on correct and careful ritual practice.

According to the late great Archimandite Serge Keleher (whose 1st anniversary is on Sunday now that I think about of it) an Orthodox bishop in Siberia ordained at least two RC men to the priesthood for the local RC population in the 60s or 70s (can't remember which) when Soviet restrictions meant it was impossible to get a Catholic bishop to do so.

Posted by uffda (# 14310) on :

Sorry to be so late to this discussion. Round Ten of the US Lutheran-Roman Catholic Dialogue, entitled: The Church as Koinonia of Salvation, has a careful section on the Patristic and Medieval Understanding of Communion and Ministry (#166-170) A Couple of Pertinent quotes:
#168 "While these developments made it difficult to envisage every local parish as embodying everything which is required in order to be 'church', the ancient equivalence of presbyter and bishop was not forgotten. Jerome insists on that equivalence when he is making the argument that it is normal for bishops to be chosen from among the presbyters of the church, rather than from the deacons. He argued: 'For also at Alexandria, from Mark the evangelist down to bishops Heraclas and Dionysius, the presbyters always chose one of themselves and, having elevated him in grade, named him Bishop--just as if an army might make an emperor by acclamation. For what, apart from ordaining, does a bishop do which a presbyter may not?'"

They also quote Isodore of Seville: "and only on account of authority is ordination and consecration reserved to the high priest, lest if the discipline of the church were arrogated by many it might dissolve concord and generate scandals."

In #169 they also cite the example of Willehad and Liudger who were missionaries sent by Chjarlemagne to convert the Saxons who "ordained clergy for the churches they founded, long before they themselves received consecration as bishops."

They also cite cases in the 15th century: "three different popes delegated the power to ordain to abbots who had not been ordained to the episcopate; in two of those cases, the privilege included ordination to the priesthood. "

I've enjoyed this conversation and hadn't seen any of this mentioned, so I thought to include it.

Thanks for that, uffda! Most interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by CL:
quote:
Simply read it.

Have YOu read it? Has the authorship even registered with you? The bishops of the Westminister archdiocese. Haha they could barely read then.

The problems arising from irregular ancient consecration seem to have been erased with the passing of time and everything is now seen as 'Pukka' before Rebiba. The golden thread may be a bit patchy in reality and I observe that there is a lack of forensic evidence for early consecrations.

I wonder what the evidenced and demonstrable succession is for Archbishop Elect Welby and what strictly Anglican pedigree he has compared to that he derives from the Old Catholic tradition. What is it that the present Bishop of Durham has on offer in the area of Apostolic Succession? Will he need/be offered further consecrations when enthroned?

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CL:
quote:
Simply read it.

Have YOu read it? Has the authorship even registered with you? The bishops of the Westminister archdiocese. Haha they could barely read then.
Arrah sure I'm a just a poor illiterate mackerel snapper like their Lordships. *tugs forelock* [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Triple Tiara (# 9556) on :

quote:

You're at that game again I see. You have made this assertion before, revealing nothing whatsoever about the English RC clergy but a great deal about your own ignorance and prejudice. It's stupid and does you no credit.

quote:
I wonder what the evidenced and demonstrable succession is for Archbishop Elect Welby and what strictly Anglican pedigree he has compared to that he derives from the Old Catholic tradition. What is it that the present Bishop of Durham has on offer in the area of Apostolic Succession? Will he need/be offered further consecrations when enthroned?

Unless I'm missing something, that is the wrong question. There are only three orders. He is Bishop of Durham. He already is a deacon, a priest and a bishop. He does not require re-ordination to become an Archbishop.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:

Newman was wrong then. Protestants in general, including most Anglicans, believe that churches are able to call out members to various ministries, including eldership. The church makes the ministers, the ministers do not make the church. Mumbo-jumbo about "validity" is irrelevant. For most of our history as Protestants Anglicans have been much more likely to worry about legality than validity - not the same thing at all.

[ 11. November 2012, 13:28: Message edited by: ken ]

quote:
Mumbo-jumbo about "validity" is irrelevant. For most of our history as Protestants Anglicans have been much more likely to worry about legality than validity - not the same thing at all.
Whot we calls "licit vs. valid" in canon law-land.

quote:
The problems arising from irregular ancient consecration seem to have been erased with the passing of time and everything is now seen as 'Pukka' before Rebiba. The golden thread may be a bit patchy in reality and I observe that there is a lack of forensic evidence for early consecrations.

Archbishops get no further ordination or consecration when appointed. They are merely installed or "enthroned" in a church service of public recognition. Though technically their powers don't begin then but after election by their cathedral chapter at legal ceremony of confirmation when they take the oaths and sign the documents that bestow the powers of jurisdiction. However, next March 21, it will very much look like things begin for Justin Welby when he is enthroned in the chair of St. Augustine of Canterbury in a gala celebration broadcast around the world from Canterbury Cathedral.

If the archbishop designate is already a bishop, no further ordination or consecration if performed. If not a bishop, his consecration and enthronement take place together after he is elected and confirmed.

You can be sure that Justin Welby has an episcopal pedigree for both the see of Durham and for the English succession of bishops. With enough tenacity, you can hunt down all of that information on the web. His place in the documented English succession traces back to the early 16th cen. and Cardinal Scipione Rebiba. His place in documented lines of succession in office at Durham And at Canterbury go much further back in church history.

quote:
His place in the documented English succession traces back to the early 16th cen. and Cardinal Scipione Rebiba.

Huh? How do you reckon that then? Rebiba was only consecrated a bishop in 1541, after the Church of England broke away from Rome. Where does the CofE lineage intersect with Rebiba's?

quote:
Originally posted by CL:
Dr William Tighe wrote the following on a blog a few years ago on the matter of the 'Dutch Touch':

If Francis Clark is right in his *Anglican Orders and Defect of Intention* (1956) — the best book I have read on the subject — the so-called “Dutch Touch” may make no difference, if (1) the ordination rite being used is the same as Cranmer’s Anglican Ordinal of 1552, or substantially the same (as with the 1662 Prayer Book’s revision of those rites) and (2) if the non-Anglican “touchers” participated by using the Anglican rite only, or by laying-on their hands in silence ...

... Etc, etc, etc.

To put this quote in proper context, William Tighe, author and compiler, has a notorious traditionalist Roman Catholic bias against Anglicans or progressively minded Roman Catholics in general. Don't count on Tighe to give a balanced view of any religious issue. He has been on the web a long time with his one sided, wordy arguments intended to convince the unwary that the Church of England and the Church of Sweden are mere Protestant sects.

Mr Rob writes:
quote:
His place in the documented English succession traces back to the early 16th cen. and Cardinal Scipione Rebiba.
The documented English succession goes back to the 1380s, at least, and if you bring in the Irish which intersects from time to time, to the 12c. Like Triple T, I wonder what Cdl Rebiba has to do with it other than that he is the channel for the Utrechtian succession.

William Oddie's nitpicking is addressed by the Latin certificates signed by the Dutch and, I gather, Bp Roslewski (sp?) who participated in US consecrations-- they carefully proceeded to use the essential points described in canon law and Leo's encyclical. It's been submitted on this board in the past that there was enough for Graham Leonard's RC priestly ordination to be conditional (there was no diaconal re-ordination). I have heard explanations, plausible if to me unconvincing, why this was an exceptional case. There is an argument that ordinations by women bishops cast the Dutch touch argument aside for Canada and the US and, in some canonists' viewpoint, do the same for all ensuing Anglican ordinations, but that is another tangent which perhaps is best explored elsewhere. That is, if somebody really wants to.

Aplogies for double posting, but I meant William Tighe rather than William Oddie (who came to mind as his Roman Option book is on a shelf not too far from my computer).

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

Not that open, Augustine.

South India created a two-part clergy list in 1948 at its union. The A-list were Anglican clergy and new ordinands ordained by a bishop with Anglican-approved liturgy. These clergy could go anywhere and do anything. B-list clergy, that is everyone else from the South India United Church, the Methodists, the Baptists, etc. could not be placed into a former Anglican parish without that parish's approval. The B-list was intended to become extinct, and it is now.

South India got expelled from the Anglican Communion for its trouble and wasn't let back in until the 1960's due to the presence of the B-list.

I have no idea what fudge the UCCan and the ACCan came up with in the 1974 Proposed Basis of Union, but even that fudge gave your lot cold feet.

SPK writes:
quote:

South India created a two-part clergy list in 1948 at its union. The A-list were Anglican clergy and new ordinands ordained by a bishop with Anglican-approved liturgy. These clergy could go anywhere and do anything. B-list clergy, that is everyone else from the South India United Church, the Methodists, the Baptists, etc. could not be placed into a former Anglican parish without that parish's approval. The B-list was intended to become extinct, and it is now.

South India got expelled from the Anglican Communion for its trouble and wasn't let back in until the 1960's due to the presence of the B-list.

I have no idea what fudge the UCCan and the ACCan came up with in the 1974 Proposed Basis of Union, but even that fudge gave your lot cold feet.

What SPK believes is not open is what, in Anglican ecclesiology, was blazingly so. The CSI approach was based on economia, of breaking or bending rules for a greater pastoral good, and ran into the wall of those who felt that the rules actually meant something. The two-list approach facilitated congregations' keeping their integrities for a transitional period which, as SPK notes, lasted until the 1960s-- pretty fast for these things, but YMMV.

In response to this, the Church of North India approach had a universal ceremony on inauguration, where all the clerics of the joining churches got hands laid on them receiving them into the new church to do the work of a presbyter etc. In the opinion of many commentators, this was a fudge which permitted one to squint and pretend that it was an ordination or a supplying of defect, and for the other lot to squint and pretend that it was not.

It worked very well in India and Pakistan and, on this basis, the UCoC and the ACoC tried to copy it. Opposition at the time was from both sides on a range of grounds. The intellectual dishonesty one caught on among a number of clerics who would likely have agreed to the CSI approach. Faced with the dissenters likely keeping about six dioceses (of 29) out of the union, the House of Bishops decided it was too soon to be put to the vote. Having been around at the time, I think that the bureaucratic nature of the plan killed almost all lay enthusiasm for organizational change at a time when practical inter-church efforts were going well beyond the ACoC/UCoC axis. Between fudge and irrelevance (merinque??), the Plan of Union became a thesis topic/church trivial pursuit question.

When I said "very open," I was trying to point out that the Anglicans were putting an essential aspect of their ecclesiology on the table. That this was not an essential aspect to the other partners does not take away from that.

Somebody told me that in the 1960s he visited a small church in a very remote part of the Fens where there was a notice in the porch saying 'Members of the Church of South India are not admitted to Communion here'.

quote:

Mr Rob writes:
quote:

The documented English succession goes back to the 1380s, at least, and if you bring in the Irish which intersects from time to time, to the 12c. Like Triple T, I wonder what Cdl Rebiba has to do with it other than that he is the channel for the Utrechtian succession ...

Quite correct about Rebiba, but in a qualified way. Thank you and Triple T for catching me out on an error made off the top of my head. My related proviso is of course the inclusion Utrecht Old Catholic and Church of Sweden bishops, together with that of the often overlooked Marco Antonio DeDominus of Spoletto, then dean of Windsor. Of course another proviso to balance all that is that pesky issue of the Edwardine ordinal that can still pop up like some unwelcome guest at a Church of England party.

All the Henrician bishops, including Cranmer, were consecrated with the Roman Pontifical, including Barlow, Scory and Hodrgkins, (but not Coverdale) who consecrated Matthew Parker.

Of particular interest for this tumbled up Reformation period of conflict and bloody violence is the story of

Hicholas Heath, archbishop of York & Lord Chancellor of England 1555-59

Heath's life story (1501-78) doesn't involve our issue of the apostolic succession so much as it does his faithfulness to both Catholic principles and to his monarch without the cost of his own life. Would that more at that time had found a way like his.

quote:
Somebody told me that in the 1960s he visited a small church in a very remote part of the Fens where there was a notice in the porch saying 'Members of the Church of South India are not admitted to Communion here'.

Someday somebody will visit a small church in a very remote part of the Fens where there is a notice in the porch saying 'Women Bishops not admitted for Communion here'.

quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
quote:

Huh? How do you reckon that then? Rebiba was only consecrated a bishop in 1541, after the Church of England broke away from Rome. Where does the CofE lineage intersect with Rebiba's?
Thanks for pointing out my original error, Triple T. See my 11-12-2012 post to Augustine the Aleut commenting on the very same thing re: the English succession & Rebiba.

Of course there surely is later intersection with the Rebiba succession at well documented points with Marco Antonio DeDominus, the Utrecht Old Catholics and the Church of Sweden.

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

quote:

Oh yes, I'd heard that too. Prickwillow, I think.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CL:

If Francis Clark is right in his *Anglican Orders and Defect of Intention* (1956) — the best book I have read on the subject — the so-called “Dutch Touch” may make no difference, if (1) the ordination rite being used is the same as Cranmer’s Anglican Ordinal of 1552, or substantially the same (as with the 1662 Prayer Book’s revision of those rites) and (2) if the non-Anglican “touchers” participated by using the Anglican rite only, or by laying-on their hands in silence ...

... Etc, etc, etc.

To put this quote in proper context, William Tighe, author and compiler, has a notorious traditionalist Roman Catholic bias against Anglicans or progressively minded Roman Catholics in general. Don't count on Tighe to give a balanced view of any religious issue. He has been on the web a long time with his one sided, wordy arguments intended to convince the unwary that the Church of England and the Church of Sweden are mere Protestant sects.

You seem to be under the impression that I don't know who Bill Tighe is. I do and rarely, if ever, find myself disagreeing with him.

P.S. he's not Roman Catholic.

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

quote:
SPK writes:
quote:

What SPK believes is not open is what, in Anglican ecclesiology, was blazingly so. The CSI approach was based on economia, of breaking or bending rules for a greater pastoral good, and ran into the wall of those who felt that the rules actually meant something. The two-list approach facilitated congregations' keeping their integrities for a transitional period which, as SPK notes, lasted until the 1960s-- pretty fast for these things, but YMMV.

In response to this, the Church of North India approach had a universal ceremony on inauguration, where all the clerics of the joining churches got hands laid on them receiving them into the new church to do the work of a presbyter etc. In the opinion of many commentators, this was a fudge which permitted one to squint and pretend that it was an ordination or a supplying of defect, and for the other lot to squint and pretend that it was not.

It worked very well in India and Pakistan and, on this basis, the UCoC and the ACoC tried to copy it. Opposition at the time was from both sides on a range of grounds. The intellectual dishonesty one caught on among a number of clerics who would likely have agreed to the CSI approach. Faced with the dissenters likely keeping about six dioceses (of 29) out of the union, the House of Bishops decided it was too soon to be put to the vote. Having been around at the time, I think that the bureaucratic nature of the plan killed almost all lay enthusiasm for organizational change at a time when practical inter-church efforts were going well beyond the ACoC/UCoC axis. Between fudge and irrelevance (merinque??), the Plan of Union became a thesis topic/church trivial pursuit question.

When I said "very open," I was trying to point out that the Anglicans were putting an essential aspect of their ecclesiology on the table. That this was not an essential aspect to the other partners does not take away from that.

So did we, I might point out. We agreed to bishops, which goes against our parentage. Blazingly so, for the Presbyterian and Congregationalist streams.

What is often forgotten on the Anglican side is that the UCCan never got around to submitting the Plan of Union for a Remit Vote. As a doctrinal change to the Basis of Union, 1925, and adding a different ordained Order of Ministry (bishops) is exactly that, the question of Union would have to have been sent down on Remit from General Council to both Presbyteries and Sessions. There would have to be a majority of both across the whole UCCan for the question to pass. This question was never remitted.

quote:
Originally posted by CL:

... You seem to be under the impression that I don't know who Bill Tighe is. I do and rarely, if ever, find myself disagreeing with him.

P.S. he's not Roman Catholic.

No, I didn't say that at all. I didn't know if you knew who he was or not, but from the quote alone I assumed the gentleman was this

William J. Tighe.

I have always assumed from the tone of Tighe's writings published on the web, and especially his arguments in past religious fora, that he was a traditionalist RC. Of course Tighe could be an Anglican or a Lutheran or something else. Perhaps you can tell us.

Bill Tighe is a Ukrainian Catholic. He was born and raised RC, flirted with Anglicanism, and eventually wound up in an Eastern rite.

quote:
However their use of the names can be misleading or duplicitous, as in the case of the so-called "Episcopal" Diocese of Fort Worth, which has in fact separated from The Episcopal Church. I their case, the continued use of the name Episcopal is blatantly misleading, especially as they are now part of the separatist Anglican Church of North America (ACNA), a group of churches that hoped (hopes?) to be but isn't part of the Anglican Communion.

In 2008, the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth decided, with a 80% majority, to leave the Episcopal Church. And they decided to keep their name; the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth. What is the principled difference between this, and the Archioceses of Canterbury and York leaving the Catholic Church, yet keeping their names?

Bump. I am curious to see the response, K Mann

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

Interesting to ask why the EDof FW chose to keep the 'Episcopal' bit of their title. Is it to make it clear that thye are episcopally governed? (But then, surely 'Diocese' does that?) Is it to deceive people into thinking that they are still a part of TEC as it currently stands? Highly unlikely, surely. is it to assert that they are in some sense the 'proper' TEC and that it is the rest of TEC which has, as it were, constructively seceded from them?
AIUI at the time of the English Reformation the concept of denominations as they exist in, say, the modern UK or USA did not really exist and would indeed have been deplored. So you just has the one 'diocese of Canterbury' or wherever and that was that.

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

Interesting to ask why the EDof FW chose to keep the 'Episcopal' bit of their title ...

It's part of their attempt to convince the courts that they are the rightful claimants to all Episcopal Church properties in the former diocese of Fort Worth, even though they no longer want to be part of the The Episcopal Church. They actually are now part of the Anglican church of North America. Of course when the split took place some years ago, the national Episcopal Church quickly gathered the remaining, loyal parishes into a continuing diocese of Fort Worth, and appointed a provisional bishop for them. That's why we wind up with two dioceses with exactly the same name. Properly, one diocese is an ACNA diocese and the other a TEC diocese, both covering the same area.

All of this does not make sense, but nevertheless, it's the way the nomenclature remains - for now anyway. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

In 2008, the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth decided, with a 80% majority, to leave the Episcopal Church. And they decided to keep their name; the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth. What is the principled difference between this, and the Archioceses of Canterbury and York leaving the Catholic Church, yet keeping their names?

The last individual claiming to be a Roman Catholic archbishop of Canterbury was Cardinal Reginald Pole. When he died in 1558 (on the very same day and close to the same hour) as Queen Mary I, Tudor, no further Roman Catholic appointments were made to Canterbury or York. The were no Roman Catholics bishops in England, except a couple of fairly hidden, traveling, apostolic administrators, for nearly three hundred years.

Catholic emancipation enabled re-establishment of a new Roman Catholic hierarchy in 1850, by Pope Pius IX, with the bull Universalis Ecclesiae, which made no mention of Canterbury, York or the other ancient sees then in the hands of the Church of England. Instead, new, Catholic sees were erected by other titles or in other places. Effectively, an entirely new Catholic hierarchy was established along side of, but not in place of, that of the Church of England. That ended Roman Catholic moral and legal claims to continuity and any inheritance connected to the ancient titles, sites and patrimony of the Church of England.

Now the "principled difference," between Fort Worth and Canterbury & York, is that Anglicans make no claim to be the Roman Catholic church of England. And, sensibly, neither does the Roman Catholic church any longer lay claim to be the Church of England. In other words, the they are realistic. The principle involved here is "be realistic."

BTW ... and not to put too fine a point on it, but Canterbury & York are not, in Church of England usage, called "archdioceses," but each are simply called a diocese, each with a metropolitan archbishop, and each with a metropolitan cathedral church.

quote:
quote:

The last individual claiming to be a Roman Catholic archbishop of Canterbury was Cardinal Reginald Pole. When he died in 1558 (on the very same day and close to the same hour) as Queen Mary I, Tudor, no further Roman Catholic appointments were made to Canterbury or York. The were no Roman Catholics bishops in England, except a couple of fairly hidden, traveling, apostolic administrators, for nearly three hundred years.

Catholic emancipation enabled re-establishment of a new Roman Catholic hierarchy in 1850, by Pope Pius IX, with the bull Universalis Ecclesiae, which made no mention of Canterbury, York or the other ancient sees then in the hands of the Church of England. Instead, new, Catholic sees were erected by other titles or in other places. Effectively, an entirely new Catholic hierarchy was established along side of, but not in place of, that of the Church of England. That ended Roman Catholic moral and legal claims to continuity and any inheritance connected to the ancient titles, sites and patrimony of the Church of England.

Now the "principled difference," between Fort Worth and Canterbury & York, is that Anglicans make no claim to be the Roman Catholic church of England. And, sensibly, neither does the Roman Catholic church any longer lay claim to be the Church of England. In other words, the they are realistic. The principle involved here is "be realistic."

BTW ... and not to put too fine a point on it, but Canterbury & York are not, in Church of England usage, called "archdioceses," but each are simply called a diocese, each with a metropolitan archbishop, and each with a metropolitan cathedral church.

You might have misunderstood me. The dioceses of Canterbury and York were most certainly part of the Catholic Church. When they left, they didn't have to give up their names because they simply were the dioceses of Canterbury and York. It therefore seems hypocritical to criticize diocese for leaving the Episcopal Church, and keeping its name, the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth. That diocese just simply is the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth. Just like the dioceses of York and Canterbury just is the dioceses of York and Canterbury, both before and after the English Reformation.

quote:
quote:

The Catholic Church was legally prohibited from having dioceses with the same names as CofE dioceses at the time of the restoration (and still is as far as I'm aware).

Also the primacy was transferred to Westminster upon the restoration. Go into Westminster Cathedral and you will see a list of Archbishops of Canterbury from Augustine down to Reginald Cardinal Pole (excluding Cranmer) followed by vicars apostolic and Archbishops of Westminster. The Church sees no break in continuity and more pointedly would not seek to claim to be the Church of England, but rather knows that she is The Church in England.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

Golly. On another thread, to do with the vote on female bishops in the Church of England, Karl suggested that we'd end up with priests carrying copies of their lineage, like the Crufts dog show.

If I'd been reading this thread, I could have pointed out it is was already happening.

We know that she's part of the Church in England.

quote:
Originally posted by CL:
Also the primacy was transferred to Westminster upon the restoration. Go into Westminster Cathedral and you will see a list of Archbishops of Canterbury from Augustine down to Reginald Cardinal Pole (excluding Cranmer) followed by vicars apostolic and Archbishops of Westminster.

Just to be accurate, the name of Thomas Cranmer does in fact appear on the board you mention - followed by the words "Deposed for heresy".

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CL:
Also the primacy was transferred to Westminster upon the restoration. Go into Westminster Cathedral and you will see a list of Archbishops of Canterbury from Augustine down to Reginald Cardinal Pole (excluding Cranmer) followed by vicars apostolic and Archbishops of Westminster.

Just to be accurate, the name of Thomas Cranmer does in fact appear on the board you mention - followed by the words "Deposed for heresy".
I wasn't sure about that one to be honest, second hand reporting and all that.

quote:
ust to be accurate, the name of Thomas Cranmer does in fact appear on the board you mention - followed by the words "Deposed for heresy".

Deposed is an unusual euphemism for being burnt.

Cranmer was condemned to death for treason on 13 November 1535. He was deposed as Archbishop for heresy by Rome on 4 December 1535. He was degraded from Holy Orders on 14 February 1556. The Church deposed him for heresy, the state executed him for treason.

The Church of England sees itself as the legitimate continuation of the Church before the Reformation, and the Roman Catholic Church doesn't. That part is so old hat I would be shocked if it wasn't a dead horse.

The part the K-mann seems to be consciously refusing to understand is that ACNA and certain others are claiming to be something they aren't- part of the Anglican Communion.

[ 23. November 2012, 13:38: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

quote:
The Church of England sees itself as the legitimate continuation of the Church before the Reformation, and the Roman Catholic Church doesn't.

This reads strangely to me so can I just check - the Roman Catholic Church doesn't what? Believe the Cof E is the legitimate continuation? Or believe itself to be the legitimate continuation?

quote:
Cranmer was condemned to death for treason on 13 November 1535. He was deposed as Archbishop for heresy by Rome on 4 December 1535. He was degraded from Holy Orders on 14 February 1556. The Church deposed him for heresy, the state executed him for treason.

Apologies for the glaring errors in this post - the dates should be 13 November 1555 and 4 December 1555.

Believe the CoE is the legitimate continuation. Sorry for wording that poorly.

Posted by Trisagion (# 5235) on :

quote:
Originally posted by CL:
The Catholic Church was legally prohibited from having dioceses with the same names as CofE dioceses at the time of the restoration (and still is as far as I'm aware).

Not quite. The Act for the Relief of His Majesty's Roman Catholic Subjects (10 GeoIV c7) received Royal Assent on 13th April 1829. It contains the following:
quote:
And whereas the right and title of Archbishops to their respective provinces, of Bishops to their sees, and of Deans to their deaneries, as well in England as in Ireland, have been settled and established by law; Be it therefore Enacted, That if any person after the commencement of this Act, other than the person thereunto authorized by law, shall assume or use the name, style or title of Archbishop of any province, Bishop of any bishoprick, or Dean of any deanery, in England or Ireland; he shall for every such offence forfeit and pay the sum of One hundred pounds.
Even this wasn't enough, however, following Bl. Pope Pius IX's Bull Universalis ecclesiae of 29th September 1850 and the following year, 1851, Lord John Russell responded to Protestant outcry pushed through the Ecclesiastical Titles Act (14&15 Vict c.60 - actually called "An Act to prevent the assumption of certain Ecclesiastical Titles in respect of places in the United Kingdom"). The act extended the 1829 prohibitions to make it a criminal offence to adopt any pre-existing Anglican Titles and to make forfeit to the Crown any property acquired under that title. This act was never imposed and was repealed by the Ecclesiastical Titles Act of 1871 and all the other disabling sections of the 1829 Act, save those relating to the succession to the throne and regency went in the Statute Law Revision Act of 1873 and in several twentieth century Acts.

It has been open to the Catholic Church to adopt Anglican Titles since 1871 but courtesy has prevailed. Sadly, the courtesy hasn't been returned as the Anglican dioceses of Portsmouth, Liverpool, Southwark, Nottingham and Southwell, and Ripon and Leeds bear witness.

There is that fact that it just makes it easier when it's the Diocese of Massachusetts and the (arch)Diocese of Boston. There are situations where one has to keep, for example, the Diocese of Indianapolis and the Diocese of Indianapolis straight.

Just found this on FaceBook with regard to the CofE:

Until forty years ago the teachings, the sacramental practice, the conception of Holy Orders, the liturgy, etc. etc. of the Anglican church occupied a position which could reasonably and with modest success be argued as lying within the borders of historic Christendom. However feebly her doctrines were inculcated, however ambiguously they were defined, however infuriatingly inadequate her formularies might have been, she was at least explicit in her appeal to Scripture, Tradition, the Councils, the Fathers, the Vincentian Canon (inter alia), as the defining sources of her position.

This shred of catholicism was not the preserve of that adventitious hot-house plant 'Anglo-Catholicism' - it was a territory happily occupied by the majority of tweedy and learned parsons who exercised their ministry down muddy lanes. Like the lettering in sea-side rock it went through and through the anglican constitution, and the validity of this self-perception was unambiguously approved by the decree Unitatis Redintegratio: - 'Among those [communions] in which Catholic traditions and institutions in part continue to exist, the Anglican communion occupies a special place'. Alas this special place has been decisively lost, and those generous words will never be repeated. The 'catholic traditions and institutions' which once informed the whole structure, have now been finally and decisively negated. For four centuries they were in part preserved, and in four decades they have been irretrievably lost as if they had never existed. Whilst that pervasive inheritance continued to inform the whole institution, 'Anglo-catholicism' could legitimately present itself as the exuberant expression of truths more widely held. But now it can have no other rôle than that of a barely tolerated irrelevancy uncomfortably annexed on to an essentially liberal protestant sect - a sort of ecclesiastical Gaza Strip.

quote:
The Church of England sees itself as the legitimate continuation of the Church before the Reformation, and the Roman Catholic Church doesn't. That part is so old hat I would be shocked if it wasn't a dead horse.

The part the K-mann seems to be consciously refusing to understand is that ACNA and certain others are claiming to be something they aren't- part of the Anglican Communion.

That may be. But the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth is till the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth. To make it give up its name, and its assists would be to undermine the whole history of Anglicanism.

Can I present an obvious flaw in all of this lineage business?

The Apostle Paul got a direct communication from God. He didn't get his role in the church from someone else handing it to him.

Why on earth, then, does it actually matter whether you can identify who 'passed on' your role to you? Not only can I not see any evidence that this is the way things have to work, I can see Biblical evidence to the contrary.

[ 23. November 2012, 22:06: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Posted by Basilica (# 16965) on :

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

The Apostle Paul got a direct communication from God. He didn't get his role in the church from someone else handing it to him.

Why on earth, then, does it actually matter whether you can identify who 'passed on' your role to you? Not only can I not see any evidence that this is the way things have to work, I can see Biblical evidence to the contrary.

You can make an argument for Acts 13.3, I believe. I'm personally not sure you can define it in such a clear cut manner, but the argument seems possible.

quote:

... That may be. But the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth is till the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth. To make it give up its name, and its assists would be to undermine the whole history of Anglicanism.

I really don't see how a claimed title by For Worth "undermines the whole history of Anglicanism" or not, as you put it. The whole history of Anglicanism amounts to much more than that.

The fact is that the other dioceses which voted in their conventions to separate themselves from The Episcopal Church have all gone on to drop the title of Episcopal.

As you can plainly see, the following now call themselves by the title of Anglican and not Episcopal.

Anglican Diocese of Pittsburgh

Anglican Diocese of San Joaquin

The Diocese of Quincy, ACNA

... and now the Diocese of South Carolina has quite promptly removed the name Episcopal from its title. You can see that here, like the others I have mentioned, on their web site.

Diocese of South Carolina

Now perhaps all of them are undermining "the whole history of Anglicanism," but I doubt it. They have, unlike Fort Worth, taken the sensible and realistic step of being honest. Unfortunately, not one of them is a member diocese of the Anglican Communion because ACNA is not a member province of the Anglican Communion. Nor are they any longer part of the Episcopal Church, the sole recognized provincial member of the Anglican Communion in the USA.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:

Thank you! All sorts of detail on this thread -- and it's been very interesting! -- but I have much more basic questions. I feel kind of stupid raising them, but please just put it down to being raised Baptist.

The question orfeo raises has always bothered me. If the apostles had all first been disciples of Jesus while he was alive, it would make more sense to me that the faith has to be handed down in a traceable lineage. But Paul's vocation makes it hard for me to see the Apostolic Succession as a needful thing. I'm sure there's an explanation, but I can't for the life of me see what it is.

Another thing that has always bothered me about the insistence upon the importance of the Apostolic Succession is that it's very hard for me to believe that the church really did, one way or another, hand the faith down in an unbroken line of duly consecrated bishops, especially during some of the murkier periods of history. Really? No slip-ups along the way? And we know for sure that it was really apostles or their duly consecrated successors who founded all the early churches? No laypeople from one church ever found themselves displaced by war or famine and decided to evangelize their neighbors in the new place and start a new church?

And a third thing that has always bothered me about it is that I really don't at all see how the churches in the Anglican Communion can claim to be in the Apostolic Succession and then turn around and say that the Methodists aren't, given the Anglican break with Rome, through which the Anglican claim lies. We broke with Rome but somehow stayed in the Apostolic Succession, but the Methodists broke with us and somehow got lost?

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

... But Paul's vocation makes it hard for me to see the Apostolic Succession as a needful thing. I'm sure there's an explanation, but I can't for the life of me see what it is ...

... Another thing that has always bothered me about the insistence upon the importance of the Apostolic Succession is that it's very hard for me to believe that the church really did, one way or another, hand the faith down in an unbroken line of duly consecrated bishops, especially during some of the murkier periods of history. Really? No slip-ups along the way? And we know for sure that it was really apostles or their duly consecrated successors who founded all the early churches? No laypeople from one church ever found themselves displaced by war or famine and decided to evangelize their neighbors in the new place and start a new church?

And a third thing that has always bothered me about it is that I really don't at all see how the churches in the Anglican Communion can claim to be in the Apostolic Succession and then turn around and say that the Methodists aren't, given the Anglican break with Rome, through which the Anglican claim lies. We broke with Rome but somehow stayed in the Apostolic Succession, but the Methodists broke with us and somehow got lost?

Well that's a lot to answer. Perhaps you should do some reading related to these matters, even research your questions online with Google, your friend.

Suffice to say that Paul, though not of the twelve apostles, has always been counted (and by his own estimation) among the twelve.

The apostolic succession is one of teaching and fellowship and not of tactile succession (by the hands). The tactile succession of bishops is only the sacramental sign and not the inward meaning of apostolic succession. Read what I said about that in an earlier post on this thread.

John Wesley was asked to ordain, or approve the ordination of bishops for the new world before the American Revolution. As a faithful priest of the Church of England, he declined to do so. So district superintendents were appointed for the Methodist societies. It was only much later in the USA, that the superintendents of some Methodist denominations appointed bishops, notably the Methodist Episcopal Church, North.

In 1968 in the USA, a merger of some Methodist churches, including the Methoist Episcopal, North, which had those former superintendent bishops, took place with the Evangelical United Brethren Church to form the United Methodist Church, USA. The Methodist episcopal bishops came along to be included in the merger package. However, those Methodist bishops never claimed to be part of any ancient tactile lineage or episcopal apostolic succession.

It is quite wrong to say that the Anglican Communion denies claims of Methodist bishops in the USA or elsewhere. Such Methodist bishops make no claims themselves to be part of any ancient apostolic succession. They derive their authority by election and ordination and a succession, if any, only within Methodism.

United Methodist Church-USA

quote:
quote:

... That may be. But the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth is till the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth. To make it give up its name, and its assists would be to undermine the whole history of Anglicanism.

I really don't see how a claimed title by For Worth "undermines the whole history of Anglicanism" or not, as you put it. The whole history of Anglicanism amounts to much more than that. … Now perhaps all of them are undermining "the whole history of Anglicanism," but I doubt it. They have, unlike Fort Worth, taken the sensible and realistic step of being honest. Unfortunately, not one of them is a member diocese of the Anglican Communion because ACNA is not a member province of the Anglican Communion. Nor are they any longer part of the Episcopal Church, the sole recognized provincial member of the Anglican Communion in the USA.
They don’t undermine the history themselves. But if the Episcopal Church forced them into doing so, and forced (or tried to force) them into giving up their assets, they (the Episcopal Church) would be undermining the history of Anglicanism. Anglicanism started out by two dioceses, together forming the Church of England, separating themselves from the communion of which they were a part. And neither gave up their name nor their assets.

You keep saying that the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth is no longer part of the Anglican Communion. So what? The Dioceses of Canterbury and York are no longer part of the Catholic Church (‘the Catholic communion’). Did they give up their name, or their assets? No, and they even saw themselves as the continuation of the Church of England from Augustine of Canterbury. Can you give me a principled reason why the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth should give up its name that doesn’t at the same time undermine the Anglican history of Canterbury and York?

quote:

Just found this on FaceBook with regard to the CofE:

"This shred of catholicism ... " [Killing me]

quote:

They don’t undermine the history themselves. But if the Episcopal Church forced them into doing so, and forced (or tried to force) them into giving up their assets, they (the Episcopal Church) would be undermining the history of Anglicanism. Anglicanism started out by two dioceses, together forming the Church of England, separating themselves from the communion of which they were a part. And neither gave up their name nor their assets.

You keep saying that the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth is no longer part of the Anglican Communion. So what? The Dioceses of Canterbury and York are no longer part of the Catholic Church (‘the Catholic communion’). Did they give up their name, or their assets? No, and they even saw themselves as the continuation of the Church of England from Augustine of Canterbury. Can you give me a principled reason why the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth should give up its name that doesn’t at the same time undermine the Anglican history of Canterbury and York?

Well they certainly gave up their name. The greedy king kept a lot of the assets.

But sorry, "two dioceses" did not start Anglicanism. In England Canterbury and York are metropolitan provinces encompassing many dioceses. There was also Ireland with three provinces and many dioceses, all at the same time.

But answer me this about our current problem. Why did the other dioceses I mentioned in the USA, give up the Episcopal name? They are in exactly the same position as Fort Worth, and The Episcopal Church has taken them all to court to recover assets that are held in trust for The Episcopal Church by canon law. The Episcopal Church will soon do the same thing with the diocese of South Carolina. The Episcopal Church has already recovered the assets due it from the Diocese of Pittsburgh.

As for Canterbury and York, Ireland and Scotland at the Reformation, Queen Mary Tudor did reunite the Church of England and Ireland with Rome for five years. Then under Queen Elizabeth, the Spanish Armada was dispatched to retrieve what they thought were the assets of the Roman church in England. As we know, that didn't work out.

I do think you are pursuing a kind of tortured logic about the Diocese of Fort Worth and and it's behavior as related to the events of the English Reformation. That's hardly helpful because we live in a different time and the circumstances are very different. No doubt Fort worth wants to hold on to it's good and chattels. Time will tell if they are able to do that with the legal resources at their disposal. No Spanish Armada this time. In any event, I would suspect the issue will be won over more than retaining an inappropriate name.

Rather than the greedy church?

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Thank you! All sorts of detail on this thread -- and it's been very interesting! -- but I have much more basic questions. I feel kind of stupid raising them, but please just put it down to being raised Baptist.

The question orfeo raises has always bothered me. If the apostles had all first been disciples of Jesus while he was alive, it would make more sense to me that the faith has to be handed down in a traceable lineage. But Paul's vocation makes it hard for me to see the Apostolic Succession as a needful thing. I'm sure there's an explanation, but I can't for the life of me see what it is.

Another thing that has always bothered me about the insistence upon the importance of the Apostolic Succession is that it's very hard for me to believe that the church really did, one way or another, hand the faith down in an unbroken line of duly consecrated bishops, especially during some of the murkier periods of history. Really? No slip-ups along the way? And we know for sure that it was really apostles or their duly consecrated successors who founded all the early churches? No laypeople from one church ever found themselves displaced by war or famine and decided to evangelize their neighbors in the new place and start a new church?

I think the argument is that although Paul claimed his authority came from God, it was important to him and thereafter that it was recognised by the church in Jerusalem. I don't think anyone before the very recent period has ever thought it was credible for someone to claim divine authority solely on their own claim to having it.

There are doubts about the tactile succession of bishops in the first two or so centuries, but thereafter, it was so implicit in how everyone understood things that it was taken for granted that was the only way anyone received any sort of orders. I think we can rely on that.

There are two other strong arguments from the Old Testament that support the notion that it is either good or essential to have some sort of objective and visible means of authorising people to exercise authority.

The first is that priesthood in the Old Testament passed from father to son. There are exceptions in the earlier period, but it was eventually taken for granted that only a person with the right lineage could be a priest.

The second is the contrast between Judah and Samaria. In Judah, kings had to have proper claims to be able to succeed. This lasted right down until the exile, and even in the exile, Judah survived. In Samaria, a series of short running dynasties replaced one another after bloodthirsty coups, each following the traditions of Jereboam son of Nebat who made Israel to sin. Samaria went down to the Assyrians. The Israelites from the north went into exile and merged with the rest of the Middle East, with no survival.

Changing the subject, and looking at this from over here, I think the secession of an entire diocese does create a bit of a dilemma. Although the Anglican Communion is a federation of (mainly) national churches, the structural unit is the diocese. Are we in communion with the national church as a whole or with the bishops within it? If I ask myself, 'suppose the Diocese of Bath and Wells, bishop, archdeacons, deans, clergy, chapter etc etc, the lot, declared itself independent?', I can't really imagine that. I don't know what the implications would be.

The nearest comparable might be in Zimbabwe, but there the CofE has been quite clear which it has regarded as the true church.

If the Presiding Bishop and the Bishop of Fort Worth break communion with each other, are we obliged to take sides? Who has anathematised who?

'It all sounds so very fourth century my dear'.

K-mann, do tell us what your point is. How on EARTH did we get on to TEC property disputes?

quote:
K-mann, do tell us what your point is. How on EARTH did we get on to TEC property disputes?

It is a related issue. It seems that the TEC ignores its own history. Or is the Church of England about to give its medieval churches back to Rome? Or give up its diocesian titles?

I am myself part of the Church of Norway, a Church which broke off from the Catholic Church. If a diocese in Norway were to break off from the Church of Norway (something that would be very unlikely considering the way bishops have been 'elected' in Norway), I do not see that this could be challenged without at the same time underming the Norwegian reformation.

That some people say that 'times are different' is just a cop out.

quote:
It is a related issue...
Not really. I had thought the issues was that these schismatics are pretending to be part of the Anglican Communion. It's not about them calling themselves Anglican or Episcopal, and it's not about keeping Church property.

As has already been explained to you, the Anglican Communion is not a tradition. It's a formal organization with rules and meetings and everything.

quote:
quote:

It is a related issue. It seems that the TEC ignores its own history. Or is the Church of England about to give its medieval churches back to Rome? Or give up its diocesian titles?

I am myself part of the Church of Norway ...

Ah, Norway. Well that explains a lot. [Biased]

But like Zach82, I can't help but wonder how you got into this rarefied subject and what your point might be.

How does "TEC ignore it's own history?" You got me there. How?

Times are different today than five hundred years ago. Did you expect we would say that they are the same? That's not a cop out, but it's a fact.

In 1850, the Church of Rome, as I have explained elsewhere, established an entirely new organization in the UK, with its own, dioceses, cathedrals and titles all different than those held by the Church of England At that point Rome gave up all legal claims that might contest the rights and holdings of the Church of England. It's finished, done, over with for Roman Catholic claims of property of the medieval church in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Now just how that history is related to the diocese of Fort Worth is quite beyond me.

At the English Reformation the changes were made to a national church by acts of parliament and convocation approved by the sovereign. Because the Church of England is established by law that pattern continues to this present day.

The Fort Worth diocese of TEC has no such establishment with government. The highest courts in the USA have ruled that the canon law of TEC is the ultimate law which TEC dioceses must follow. That canon law is created not by parliament, the English way, but by the General Convention of TEC. That's why, perhaps, you fail to see the difference between England at the Reformation and Fort Worth in today's TEC.

The Church of England and TEC have different political situations and types of different church government. Nevertheless, both churches are constituent members of the Anglican Communion.

quote:
[QBIn 1850, the Church of Rome, as I have explained elsewhere, established an entirely new organization in the UK, with its own, dioceses, cathedrals and titles all different than those held by the Church of England At that point Rome gave up all legal claims that might contest the rights and holdings of the Church of England. It's finished, done, over with for Roman Catholic claims of property of the medieval church in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales.[/QB]

It's a small point but this isn't correct. Most of those property claims were settled by the Act of Parliament of April 1554 and the rest effectively waived when the Holy See recognised the Hannoverian Succession in 1766.

quote:
Suffice to say that Paul, though not of the twelve apostles, has always been counted (and by his own estimation) among the twelve.

That's not suffice to say. That's completely avoiding the question by pretending it doesn't exist. That's saying, "actually it DOESN'T matter whether you were in the original group, we'll just deem you to be in the group".

In which case the whole requirement is an irrelevance in theological terms. It might well be relevant in terms of who is prepared to recognise whose authority, and passing of property and so on, but there's no theological reason for saying "you only have a ministry from God if we saw someone else with a ministry from God lay hands on you".

[ 24. November 2012, 21:09: Message edited by: orfeo ]

quote:
quote:
It is a related issue...
Not really. I had thought the issues was that these schismatics are pretending to be part of the Anglican Communion. It's not about them calling themselves Anglican or Episcopal, and it's not about keeping Church property.

As has already been explained to you, the Anglican Communion is not a tradition. It's a formal organization with rules and meetings and everything.

Surveying the websiste of the Fort Worth, and the websistes of the dioceses which Mr. Rob referenced — the Anglican Diocese of Pittsburgh, the Anglican Diocese of San Joaquin, the Diocese of Quincy, ACNA and the the Diocese of South Carolina — I see now that Fort Worth and the Anglican Diocese of Pittsburgh claims to be part of the Angican communion, and that the Diocese of South Carolina claims to be “a historic diocese remaining faithful to the doctrine, discipline and worship of Christ and recognized as such by the vast majority of the Anglican Communion in spite of recent attempts to assume our identity by the new TEC Steering Committee.” The former two is of course wrong, and the latter probably wrong, though the statement could be read simply as a statement to the fact that the Diocese of South Carolina is “a historic diocese,” and that they are recognised as such, and as a diocese who remains “faithful to the doctrine, discipline and worship of Christ” by parts of the Anglican communion, though not recognized as part of the Anglican communion as such.

But the Anglican Diocese of San Joaquin and the Diocese of Quincy makes no such claim on their webpage. And neither does the ACNA itself. It is of course wrong to claim to be part of the Anglican Communion if you are not. And the Fort Worth, Pittsburgh and South Carolina should not claim to be so. (It is not entirely clear wether or not the latter in fact claims this.) But where does the other dioceses claim to be so? And where does the ACNA itself claim to be so?

These dioceses are no longer part of the Episcopal Church, of their province, and no longer part of the Anglican Communion. But that doesn’t change the fact that they still are the historic dioceses of, respectively, Fort Worth, Pittsburgh, San Joaquin, Quincy and South Carolina. And should they choose (or had they choosed) to keep their names, and their assets, I do not see any principled difference between this, and the break of the provinces of Canterbury and York from the Catholic Church (or ‘the Catholic Communion’).

ACNA does pretend to be part of the Anglican Communion right here.

Since the Anglican Reformation was predicated on the rights of national English Church, not on the rights of individual dioceses to do whatever the hell they want, your argument about Episcopalians invalidating their history by getting their property back just doesn't have legs. We ain't claiming anything more for our national Church than the English Church claimed during the Reformation. Not that it was terribly relevant in the first place.

quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:

It's a small point but this isn't correct. Most of those property claims were settled by the Act of Parliament of April 1554 and the rest effectively waived when the Holy See recognised the Hannoverian Succession in 1766.

Yes, on the death of the Old Pretender, James Francis Edward Stuart, in 1766, Rome came to recognize George I as the lawful king of England. However that recognition did nothing of itself to change the position of Roman Catholics in Great Britain. The first Catholic relief act of 1778, created a huge storm of protest resulting in the famous Gordon Riots.

Thereafter, bit by bit, parliament gave Catholics certain rights, but it was not until the Catholic Relief Act of 1829, that the last civil penalties were abolished just for being a Roman Catholic in England.

There was also a lot of contention in the 1840s when parliament was first approached about the re-establishment of a Roman Catholic hierarchy in Great Britain. For decades after 1850, the Catholic hierarchy was, once established, further hobbled from acting in an entirely free manner by restrictions contained in acts of parliament in force from 1850 up to the last of them in the 1870s.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
Perhaps you should do some reading related to these matters, even research your questions online with Google, your friend.

Perhaps you should consider the possibility that I did that very thing, to no avail. Thanks for the explanation about the Methodists.

quote:
However that recognition did nothing of itself to change the position of Roman Catholics in Great Britain.

With respect, Mr Rob, I didn't say it did do anything for Catholics and that wasn't the point in play. The question was the status of Catholic claims to Pre-reformation church properties. You had claimed that those claims fell away with the restoration of the hierarchy in 1850. As I said, it was a small point but you were incorrect. Those claims had been formally waived in 1766.

Of course, it is also incorrect to say that the recognition of the Hannoverian Succession did "nothing of itself to change the position of Roman Catholics in Great Britain." It did just that and it is almost impossible to imagine Parliament (let alone George III) passing the First Relief Act without that recognition,
[/QB][/QUOTE]

I think these arguments about the Catholic Church giving up claims to medieval church property are looking at the past through C20-21 eyes.

I don't think anybody on either side at the time of the Reformation or for 300 years thereafter saw this in terms of imagining that the CofE, or for that matter the CofS, had illegally taken over Roman church property, or were not the successor to the medieval church in England and Scotland. What they were all fighting about was whether they were wrong. This was about who should run the whole church, a package, on the assumption that that carried everything that went with it.

Jenny Geddes objected because she assumed Charles I was going to make the CofS piskie. So did Charles I. In 1688, the English establishment took it for granted that James II was going to follow Mary I and make the CofE Papist, but this time in small slices. Although James II tried to assuage these fears, they were probably well founded.

The fading of Jacobitism obviously has a bearing on emancipation, as Bonnie Prince Charlie degenerated into alcoholic ineffectuality, and his brother Cardinal Henry, ended up being supported in Napoleonic Italy by a pension from George III.

Posted by Forthview (# 12376) on :

While it is true that Jenny Geddes may have objected in St Giles to the introduction of a prayer book with royal mandate and that while she may have thought that the Church of ?Scotland was going to be 'piskie' the fact is that the reformed Church of Scotland remained with bishops (and archbishops) until the time of the events of 1688.
The rank (and remunerations) of the medieval bishops remained until that time and there were constant bickerings between those who supported episcopal government and those who did not who were probably the majority.
The bishops and archbishops were the representatives of the king in the deliberations of the Scottish Parliament and they claimed governance of the church in the king's name.Apart from this they did not carry out 'pontifical' functions.
A visit to the parish church of the Holy Trinity in St Andrews would show you the elaborate baroque tomb of Archbishop Sharpe (complete with mitre which he would never have worn) murdered not far from St Andrews by CovenantersThe list of post Reformation Protestant bishops and archbishops only came to an end with the various settlements around the time of the arrival of William of Orange who to get the support of the Scots in his attempt to become king guaranteed to them the establishment of the Presbyterian Church of Scotland and the expulsion of the bishops and archbishops and well as the clergy throughout the Church ofScotland who supported the episcopal system of chrch governance.

quote:
ACNA does pretend to be part of the Anglican Communion right here.

Must have overlooked that. My fault. It is of course wrong to claim to be part of the Anglican Communion when one is not.

quote:
Since the Anglican Reformation was predicated on the rights of national English Church, not on the rights of individual dioceses to do whatever the hell they want, your argument about Episcopalians invalidating their history by getting their property back just doesn't have legs. We ain't claiming anything more for our national Church than the English Church claimed during the Reformation. Not that it was terribly relevant in the first place.

And why should we not allow such freedom to a diocese. What is it with a province (or an archdiocese*) that makes it so different from other dioceses that they can break from their commion, while a particular dioceses can’t? It cannot be because of ties with government, as these are non-existant in the US.

What about, for example, the Polish National Catholic Church (PNCC) or its sister Church in Poland, the Polish Catholic Church? Their break was not ‘predicated on the rights of the american Polish Church’ or on ‘the national Polish Church,’ or anything to that effect. Yet I highly doubt that you would claim this to be illegal. So what, then, is the principled difference between this, and the break of a particular diocese from the Episcopal Church? AFAIK, they held on to property in Scranton and New York.

* I know that neither Canterbury nor York is called an archdiocese, but this could be applied to other provinces or archdioceses as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:

... You had claimed that those claims fell away with the restoration of the hierarchy in 1850 As I said, it was a small point but you were incorrect ...

... Of course, it is also incorrect to say that the recognition of the Hanoverian Succession did "nothing of itself to change the position of Roman Catholics ... "

Thank you for pointing out the errors in my previous comments. I am quite fortunate to have you take such interest in my obvious misinformation about these events of English political and church history.

© Ship of Fools 2016