homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Jezebel's Trumpet

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Jezebel's Trumpet
KevinL
Apprentice
# 12481

- Posted      Profile for KevinL   Email KevinL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is The Church Times called Jezebel's Trumpet?
Posts: 35 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Clavus
Shipmate
# 9427

- Posted      Profile for Clavus   Email Clavus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is said that Robert Runcie, when Principal of Cuddesdon, told the ordinands: 'It is your duty to read the Church Times - and a sin to enjoy it.'
Posts: 389 | From: The Indian Summer of the C of E | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the wiki article:

quote:
Wiki Article on Church Times:
The Church Times is an independent Anglican weekly newspaper. It is published in the United Kingdom on Fridays.

The Church Times was founded in 1863 to campaign for Anglo-Catholic principles and has always been independent of the Church of England hierarchy. It was a family concern (G. J. Palmer & Sons Ltd) until 1989 when ownership passed to Hymns Ancient and Modern, a Christian charitable trust. Since the 1940s the paper has become less specifically Anglo-Catholic and broader in both its outlook and coverage. It is popularly nicknamed "Jezebel's Trumpet" (alluding to Jezebel the wife of King Ahab of Israel; II Kings).

I am guessing that the nickname was originally pejorative, and was coined by evangelical Anglicans because they didn't like Anglo-Catholic influence, especially from outside the C of E hierarchy. Nowadays I would suppose it is used in a more humorous sense.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And from such prejudicial assumptions come many potential arguments [Smile]

A very quick Google brings up this:

quote:

This does not prevent some from making unwarranted assumptions about the newspaper's editorial stance. Some assume that it is a liberal Catholic paper while others believe that it is anti-Evangelical. Some still call it “Jezebel's trumpet” because of its perceived failure to defend the finer points of Anglo-Catholic doctrine. One former news editor suggested that the publication had “something to irritate everyone”.

(Librarian's Christian Fellowship, about halfway through)

Which rather implies it's more of a back-stabbing/selling down the river monicker than an external dissing.

Me, I have no horse in this race, and have an entirely different set of publications to be rude about [Smile]

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I dunno. I rather like irritating everyone, so it's no Bad Thing so to do IMNSHO.

Jezebel's Trumpet seems to me to represent the broad-church nature of the C of E quite well. It's donkeys years since I last looked at the CEN, and the FinF paper usually succeeds in depressing me.......

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
KevinL
Apprentice
# 12481

- Posted      Profile for KevinL   Email KevinL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks each and all for the enlightening. I could not turn anything up in my Google searches, so I appreciate the sourcing. Cheers!
Posts: 35 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016