Thread: Jezebel's Trumpet Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=024121

Posted by KevinL (# 12481) on :

Why is The Church Times called Jezebel's Trumpet?

Posted by Clavus (# 9427) on :

It is said that Robert Runcie, when Principal of Cuddesdon, told the ordinands: 'It is your duty to read the Church Times - and a sin to enjoy it.'

Posted by Mark Betts (# 17074) on :

According to the wiki article:

quote:
Wiki Article on Church Times:
The Church Times is an independent Anglican weekly newspaper. It is published in the United Kingdom on Fridays.

The Church Times was founded in 1863 to campaign for Anglo-Catholic principles and has always been independent of the Church of England hierarchy. It was a family concern (G. J. Palmer & Sons Ltd) until 1989 when ownership passed to Hymns Ancient and Modern, a Christian charitable trust. Since the 1940s the paper has become less specifically Anglo-Catholic and broader in both its outlook and coverage. It is popularly nicknamed "Jezebel's Trumpet" (alluding to Jezebel the wife of King Ahab of Israel; II Kings).

I am guessing that the nickname was originally pejorative, and was coined by evangelical Anglicans because they didn't like Anglo-Catholic influence, especially from outside the C of E hierarchy. Nowadays I would suppose it is used in a more humorous sense.

Posted by Snags (# 15351) on :

And from such prejudicial assumptions come many potential arguments [Smile]

A very quick Google brings up this:

quote:

This does not prevent some from making unwarranted assumptions about the newspaper's editorial stance. Some assume that it is a liberal Catholic paper while others believe that it is anti-Evangelical. Some still call it “Jezebel's trumpet” because of its perceived failure to defend the finer points of Anglo-Catholic doctrine. One former news editor suggested that the publication had “something to irritate everyone”.

(Librarian's Christian Fellowship, about halfway through)

Which rather implies it's more of a back-stabbing/selling down the river monicker than an external dissing.

Me, I have no horse in this race, and have an entirely different set of publications to be rude about [Smile]

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Oh, I dunno. I rather like irritating everyone, so it's no Bad Thing so to do IMNSHO.

Jezebel's Trumpet seems to me to represent the broad-church nature of the C of E quite well. It's donkeys years since I last looked at the CEN, and the FinF paper usually succeeds in depressing me.......

Ian J.

Posted by KevinL (# 12481) on :

Thanks each and all for the enlightening. I could not turn anything up in my Google searches, so I appreciate the sourcing. Cheers!

© Ship of Fools 2016