homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The opposite of evil

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The opposite of evil
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone would probably agree that the opposite of good is bad. You could say that the words represent a range from "very good" to "very bad" with a lot of places in between. But isn't evil generally held to be the very worst of bad?

I have searched many definitions of the above words and have found no word that could be the expression of the opposite of evil. Virtue seems to come closest but it has many other applications that allow the same range as that between good and bad. Any suggestions?

Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy?

Love?

Light?

God is love in whom there is no darkness at all.....

Trouble arises I spose when evil is just defined as the absence of Good? (as many of the early church fathers did)

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

- Posted      Profile for Ruudy   Email Ruudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Trouble arises I spose when evil is just defined as the absence of Good?

Why? Or how so?

[ 06. November 2012, 01:03: Message edited by: Ruudy ]

--------------------
The shipmate formerly known as Goar.

Posts: 1360 | From: Gatorland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the absence of something definable? Is it an entity in itself or is it only defined by something which it is not?

Bit like the definitions of atheism.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Good and evil" is used as a pairing just as often as "good and bad" is. Eg you would say "the battle between good and evil", not good and bad.

I don't think English provides us with neat pairings, what with the horribly tangled etymology of having nicked words from French, Norse and Germanic origins just to highlight the largest sources.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The normative pairings we run into most often are good/bad, right/wrong, just/unjust, and good/evil. I think the problem is that the two "goods" in good/bad and in good/evil are different things. But that doesn't mean that good/evil is somehow not valid.
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

- Posted      Profile for Ruudy   Email Ruudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is the absence of something definable?

Darkness is the absence of light?
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Yeah [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ruudy:
quote:
Is the absence of something definable?

Darkness is the absence of light?
A vacuum is the absence of matter.
Despair is the absence of hope.

[ 06. November 2012, 05:13: Message edited by: Latchkey Kid ]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

Early Church Fathers 1, Postmodernists 0

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is the absence of something definable? Is it an entity in itself or is it only defined by something which it is not?

Bit like the definitions of atheism.

The absence of something is definable. Absolute 0 or -273°C is the absence of any molecular activity, just stopped. It is the absence of heat.

In some other frames, the absence of things is more difficult. The speed of light is a constant and as fast as anything can go, so complete rest and non-movement is considered the opposite I suppose, except, what is relative to what? Like if I'm on an airplane, and sitting, someone sitting opposite me is not moving and is a rest, but to someone sitting on the ground I'm not at rest, I'm moving say 350 mph. But the person on the ground is moving as the earth moves in rotation and orbit.

I think we get tangled with the wrong comparison frame sometimes, and think about all the various comparisons that are possible, like on the airplane. When the real comparison is more like absolute 0.

I find myself paraphrasing and adapting CS Lewis' ideas on this. That there is God and there is only Good possible at the one end. At the other, is everything that is non-God. Thus, the absence of things that are of God is bad or evil. The problem arises in that us humans have the terrible capacity to argue ourselves into ideas such as things that are bad are good. That evil is of God. Even when it is rather obvious. (or at least I do)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the thoughts but I haven't seen anything that is comparable to evil on the good side. You can't be just a little bit evil as you can be a little bit good. Good is, essentially, a comparative not an absolute.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the trouble comes in because evil is neither a pure thing-in-itself, as good can be, nor a simple absence. It is rather a corruption of something originally good, and the remaining good elements in it are what give it its power and peculiar horror. Like seeing a spider with a human face--so much worse than an ordinary spider, however scary.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
The normative pairings we run into most often are good/bad, right/wrong, just/unjust, and good/evil. I think the problem is that the two "goods" in good/bad and in good/evil are different things.

Makes sense to me. A good apple pie is tasty, but not moral. A good king doesn't have to be saintly, he has to be a just and competent ruler.

Wasn't Henry VI both pretty close to a saint and one of the worst kings England has ever had ?

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

quote:
Originally posted by IconiumBound:
Thanks for the thoughts but I haven't seen anything that is comparable to evil on the good side. You can't be just a little bit evil as you can be a little bit good. Good is, essentially, a comparative not an absolute.

IB, it's an interesting topic if you love words like so many of us here do.

However, I don't particularly agree with your understanding of the word of evil as "the very worst of bad".

"Evil" is a word used to place emphasis. On a spectrum of moral goodness "evil" is worse than "bad".

"Evil" means profoundly immoral (without morals), malevolent (badly willed), or depraved (completely crooked). But it doesn't always tell us just how bad or whether something is actually the worst or not. This is shown by the fact that we often need to use/add emphasizers such as "pure evil" or "totally evil" or "completely evil" or "absolutely evil" to stress the grade of evil we are talking about. Some things are more evil than others.

Like so many words, it may not be possible to come up with an exact opposite. Words for which there are opposites are somewhat limited.

Since the meaning of evil (unlike bad) is so tied up in moral gradation rather than other qualities, I would probably go with "benevolent" if forced to pick an opposite.

--------------------

Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:
T... the two "goods" in good/bad and in good/evil are different things..

It occurs to me that the former is usually an adjective and the latter is usually a noun.

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The opposite of evil is "live" because live is evil spelled backwards. This means that your twin is always in the mirror; if you do evil, your good twin looks back at you, and if you do good, your evil twin looks back at you.
But you only see this if you are live. As far as I know!

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

quote:
Originally posted by Loquacious Beachcomber
The opposite of evil is "live" because live is evil spelled backwards.

Now that's an interesting thought and probably a good sermon starter.

I also like it because I have been trying to suggest that the true test of "good" is anything that creates, sustains or enhances life. So do you pronounce live with a short or a long i?

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, of course I do; is there a third choice? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016