homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Archdeacon vs bishop?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Archdeacon vs bishop?
Dan BD
Apprentice
# 16559

- Posted      Profile for Dan BD   Email Dan BD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lo all,

Happy St Stephen's to all and a merry after-Christmas break to our overworked clergy.

Has anyone else heard the story that the archdeacon of Ely was forbidden (forbade?) from the entering Isle of Ely due to an ancient quarrel between an archdeacon of ely and his bishop? (That was why he lived in Cambridge.)

Or is that bollocks?

--------------------
DBD

We're here to spread your message, we're leading from the front!
Your word will cross the borders, you'll be in ev'ry coun- -try soon.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thread's title made me wonder if there were tickets available to watch, thinking of Clergy Mixed Martial Arts. Sounds like a good idea. They wouldn't use an octagon, they'd fight in a sanctuary.

Or maybe they could fight with bishops' shillelaghs or whatever they call their sticks, akin to Filipino martial arts. I'd also like to hear them taunt each other.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
John D. Ward
Shipmate
# 1378

- Posted      Profile for John D. Ward   Email John D. Ward   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
bishops' shillelaghs or whatever they call their sticks

Crozier
Posts: 208 | From: Swansea, Wales, U.K. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dan BD

Is this (link) the matter you were thinking of?

[ 27. December 2012, 16:25: Message edited by: Honest Ron Bacardi ]

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
The thread's title made me wonder if there were tickets available to watch, thinking of Clergy Mixed Martial Arts. Sounds like a good idea. They wouldn't use an octagon, they'd fight in a sanctuary.

IIRC (but from the dim and distant past) the lantern of Ely Cathedral is octagonal.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Church-English dictionary defined "archdeacon" as "the crook at the head of a bishop's staff."

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dan BD
Apprentice
# 16559

- Posted      Profile for Dan BD   Email Dan BD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
Is this (link) the matter you were thinking of?

Ta, Ron. I think it must be. Someone else linked me there on facebook, but I'm damned if I fully understand exactly what the book is on about...

--------------------
DBD

We're here to spread your message, we're leading from the front!
Your word will cross the borders, you'll be in ev'ry coun- -try soon.

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
The Church-English dictionary defined "archdeacon" as "the crook at the head of a bishop's staff."

Yes, I remember that. I still have the book.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan BD:
Has anyone else heard the story that the archdeacon of Ely was forbidden (forbade?) from the entering Isle of Ely due to an ancient quarrel between an archdeacon of ely and his bishop? (That was why he lived in Cambridge.)

Yes. I heard it from the previous archdeacon of Ely. An ancient quarrel that led to it being traditional for the archdeacon to live in Cambridge. The ancient quarrel doesn't affect the working relationship between the present incumbents.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016