Thread: Centering Prayer? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025007

Posted by Winnow (# 5656) on :

I'm just assuming this is the right place to post this? I'm supposing you'll move it if I'm wrong ... I'm mostly a reader, not a poster, and don't know all the etiquette here, but I do love this place a lot. So here goes.

Do any of you practice centering prayer? DH and I are not "Christian" -- we're Unitarian-Universalist, which doesn't necessarily mean we're NOT Christian, but we're not "believers" ...

Anyway, DH and I attend weekly centering prayer groups at an Episcopal church and at a Catholic church. Neither group questions our motives (we have none, other than spiritual growth, which we've told them) and neither cares that we aren't "Christian". We also attend a meditation group at our church, and we meditate on our own as well at home.

We are finding the centering prayer surprisingly ... wonderful. Totally unexpected. So fulfilling in ways we never anticipated. And much more satisfying than meditating with our group or on our own.

Can you share any of your experiences? And point us in any directions you think we'd appreciate -- books, CDs, whatever? We do have two books by Father Thomas Keating, which we haven't finished yet.

Thank you!

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Hi Winnow,

There's a recent discussion here.

Posted by Winnow (# 5656) on :

Well, my goodness. I didn't do much lurking in December so obviously missed it. I supposed I should have searched, or something, before jumping in ...

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction!

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

Hi Winnow, you are most welcome to this corner of the Ship. In answer to your question, this is indeed the right place for your discussion, and it looks like it is proving fruitful already!

dj_ordinaire, Ecclesiantics host

© Ship of Fools 2016