Thread: Finding a church in Nelson Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025507

Posted by fnk (# 10377) on :

Hi there,

It's been ages since I've posted here, and sorry to pop in again only to ask a question.

We've just recently moved from Christchurch NZ to Nelson and we're looking for a church. I've traditionally been very, very Anglican and from what we have found so far the diocese is a bit different from Christchurch. Does anyone know where the "dangerous liberal" type Anglicans hang out in Nelson? If they aren't Anglicans where do they go?? We'd like to join them [Smile]

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Nelson Dio is not my cup of tea either. When I have visited I've found the local Methodists in the city itself very welcoming.

Given the size of the place, they may even have an idea about more liberal Anglicans - though I suspect those who are more liberal may have either left the church completely or gone elsewhere.

Depending on the degree of your liberality there is also a group of Quakers somewhere in the area that I never tracked down.

Huia

Posted by fnk (# 10377) on :

Thanks heaps Huia - we'll check the Methodists out.

We're not all that liberal, I guess. But we do seem to have a slightly more inclusive picture of the gospel message than we have encountered so far .

[ 07. April 2013, 07:49: Message edited by: fnk ]

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

And here was me thinking you were talking about Nelson, Lancashire.

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

Glad it wasn't just me. Though I must confess that my second thought was: what on earth is anyone doing going to Nelson?

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

I was thinking Nelson, British Columbia.

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

Glad it wasn't just me. Though I must confess that my second thought was: what on earth is anyone doing going to Nelson?
And me!

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

I instantly thought "what about Colne"?

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

On the other hand Nelson NZ has the highest sunshine hours in the country and a higher than average number of potters and other craftspeople. Apart from Christchurch it would be my favourite city for the friendliness of its people, a couple of independent bookshops and Penguinos - the best ice-cream shop in the world (but only open in summer months).

Huia

© Ship of Fools 2016