homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Orfeo hits Sucker Free City--San Francisco Shipmeet, end of July (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Orfeo hits Sucker Free City--San Francisco Shipmeet, end of July
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Oi! Alves! Don't send me a PM I can't answer!

And the answer is that either's fine!

So, the question was, do you want a public meet or a quietly arranged meeting of the usual suspects? As he indicated no preference, I naturally am going with the laziest option.

So, Orfeo, please remind us of your itinerary and your best days. As I know that you will be staying near a BART station, I highly encourage you to research fun stuff within BART access, as this will be the best way of both collecting a good group of Shipmates and helping us suggest a choice of restaurant/ cafe/ whatever that lines up with stuff you want to do.

As of July 2, I will be tied up Tuesdays and Wednesday evenings-- otherwise, the summer is free.

[ 16. June 2013, 22:15: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erm, if you try to have a meet at the beginning of July I'm sure it will be lovely but I won't be there.

I arrive on 20 July in the evening, leave early on 29 July.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OH! much more wiggle room, then (I thought you were with us for the 4th.)

[thread title updated-- K.A., Admin]

[ 16. June 2013, 22:16: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(bump)

Just a note-- this would be a wonderful time for newbies/ lurkers to introduce themselves.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In that vein, I should now point out that Hellhosts can be remarkably pleasant people in person.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is true. They'll even let you hold their pitchfork, if you ask nicely.

Though the Anglican ones do tend to drink like fishes, I don't know why. [Big Grin]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
In that vein, I should now point out that Hellhosts can be remarkably pleasant people in person.

You have destroyed the illusion, I shall respect them no longer. Oh, wait...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
he lying.

we're evil.

(*poke* shaddap, dummy, you're ruining the image!)

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
This is true. They'll even let you hold their pitchfork, if you ask nicely.

Though the Anglican ones do tend to drink like fishes, I don't know why. [Big Grin]

You are a wicked, wicked boy.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Devil]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess it's time for someone who actually plans to appear at the meet to say something.

I'm not afraid of the pitchfork. I'll be sitting with the bearer of the axe.

(I'll take Primitive Weapons for 100, Alex.)

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

[Killing me] I'd be tempted to Quotes File that one if such a move wasn't too damn difficult on an iPhone.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I would love to come to the Shipmeet! I'm entirely flexible during the week. Weekends, I work all day (till 6:30 Saturday and till 7:30 Sunday), but if we're meeting in SF I could pop over wherever after work, if it's a later meet.

I'm having surgery on the 29th (minor), but I assume as that's Orfeo's last day it's not under consideration anyway.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

What do you guys think about returning to the Thirsy Bear?

(Not just a great restaurant, but right ner Yerba Buena Center-- and a variety of museums.)

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Near transit, too. Always a good thing.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Story Corps is also near there.
Because one of y'all might have something interesting to say.*

* as contrary to evidence as that may be.... [Devil]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Heck, for me those places will be walkable do I've no objection if it works for people.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That sounds really cool, LilB!

Web Page for Thristy Bear, BTW

Hey, I have a buddy who works in a nearby office building, who would probably fit right in with the Ship-- mind if I invite him?

Oh, how does Friday sound?

[ 20. June 2013, 20:27: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I say the more the merrier! And of course Friday sounds great to me - I have the whole day free.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Churchgeek, you and a couple other Shipmates have already chatted with him, I'm pretty sure. He's very cool. And his interaction with shipmates really made me think he would fit in well.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

So, are we good with this plan? 6ish at the Thirsty Bear?

I did have another idea, But it would definitely exclude churchgoing folk, time-wise...

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Kelley, you certainly do come up with interesting venues. And, it sure looks like it would be fun and entertaining.

Wish I could be there with you, but we aren't scheduled for another invasion of Livermore this year. <sigh> [Waterworks]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

No "e", Motherboard. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(bump)

So, am I authorized by Team NoCal to make reservations for-- 6? 7? which would be better? --At the Thirsty Bear for July 26th?

And how many people are we looking at? Me, Churchgeek, Basso, Orpheo, My friend (he's accepted) and...?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know if I can make it; probably won't know until the last minute. But am keeping an eye on the thread.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

It shouldn't be that hard to add one. Hope you can do it!

--------------------

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alas, I'll be in Mexico! Raise a glass for me!

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Aww! Will do!

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

Sorry to miss you, i_m. GK, I hope you can make it - be good to see you again.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Note to Basso and Churchgeek-- SHHHHH! On pain of axe!)

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Thirsty Bear. Friday. As in the San Francisco Friday. Days of the week come associated with locations in my brain at the moment.

Jots down mental note somewhere.

It is so weird to think SF is only a few weeks away, partly because I'm over near the opposite coast still, in Washington DC. But heck, the whole trip is beginning to play with my brain. It almost feels like touring this continent is my permanent employment or something.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Hey, we need front page content on the Ship-- why not write a travelog of your grand tour? [Big Grin]

Just made the reservations, under Kelly Alves.

[ 05. July 2013, 20:50: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

I am in fact writing a journal. Not sure it's for public consumption though. Also I'm 3 days behind, need to do my homework.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I'm gonna ask Basso and Churchgeek to meet me by the fountain in Yerba Buena Park at 5 PM, if you can, --and anyone else who can and is curious, actually. Otherwise, I will see you all at 6.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

Yerba Buena, 5pm. Got it. This is gonna be fun.
Eloise
Shipmate
# 4292

- Posted      Profile for Eloise   Email Eloise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry I can't make this one - I would love to come but unfortunately I am in Canberra...

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - The Red Queen

Posts: 419 | From: Bay Area, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are you doing in that God-forsaken place Elouise?
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

OI!!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Orfeo--

FYI: when you get here, be very careful about publicly showing any cell phone you may have, especially if it's a smart phone. There've been thefts, even face-to-face, on public transportation. and tonight's news mentioned a rash of thefts down at Fisherman's Wharf. (Of course, some of the victims were silly enough (IMHO) to sit at outdoor cafe tables, and have their phones on the table in plain sight.)

YMMV.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I'm gonna ask Basso and Churchgeek to meet me by the fountain in Yerba Buena Park at 5 PM, if you can, --and anyone else who can and is curious, actually. Otherwise, I will see you all at 6.

OK - I'll have to google to see where that park is.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

It's right directly across the street from MOMA, which is about 2 blocks or so from Thirsty Bear. If you're taking BART in, you'll likely pass the park on the way over.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Behold. I have arrived.

... Do you know how damn WEIRD it is to think its been 2 months since I was in California? Not that SF looks anything like Riverside County.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Brace yourself, SF! [Yipee]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

Actually, I think I am gonna let you off the hook-- My FA check has been delayed (ONCE AGAIN!) so I can't purchase a couple items I needed for the above. I will hit up the Chicago folk in September.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

So, which day is the fog scheduled to clear?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Learn to love it, Bro. [Big Grin]

When you are back somewhere where it is OhMyGod Fahrenheit in the shade, you will experience fond nostalgia for God's own air conditioning. Natives to this area enthusiastically bond over what a welcome site the fog dripping over the bridge is after spending the day sweltering in Danville or somewhere.

Or, if you are really jonesing for Vitamin D, get someone to drive you south from SF for about, oh, thirty minutes, and you will find sun. I am about to follow my own advice and go south on HWY 1 on the coast. When I get past Half Moon Bay, the fog will just melt away, and I will see the kind of sunny California beaches I usually only see in. Via Magazine.

ETA: If you want to get to sun faster, try 280 south. 20 minutes as opposed to 30-45 by HWY 1.

[ 21. July 2013, 18:58: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Bumpage!

See y'all at six tomorrow!

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I won't be able to make it, but I'll be sending you good thoughts.

Try not to embarass the Ship TOO much! [Biased]

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Or, if you are really jonesing for Vitamin D, get someone to drive you south from SF for about, oh, thirty minutes, and you will find sun.

Or just pop across the bay to Oakland! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Smug face) No bridge toll on the Peninsula. And actual beaches.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016