homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Pauper Gourmet (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Pauper Gourmet
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eating in, eating out, eating on the pavement outside the chippie: there have been a few remarks on threads that seem to indicate that people's favourite meals/fondest memories have been around stuff that cost very little.

Would you agree? Does distance lend enchantment to the taste, or are there things you have eaten/eat now that would see off the Beluga and a Krug '98?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a woman who sets up a cart in an auto part store parking lot on the north-west side of town and sells tacos. Honestly, if I had to take someone to one meal in this city, her cart might be it. One taco will cost you $1.50, but since one is just going to make you want another, I'd go with three. And while you might be tempted to order three different fillings, I'll have three of the desebrada, and a half-liter bottle of Mexican Coke.

[ 28. June 2013, 22:13: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are great cheap foods that are wonderful when you are hungry. But most of us were poorest when young, and our memories of the foods eaten then may have the haze of fond memory.

I miss a New York corned beef sandwich on corn rye with a side of horseradish coleslaw and a bowl of assorted salt pickles and a potato knish. If I ate that today I would need to lie down for a few hours till the grease and salt succumbed.

Alas many of the cheap foods have gotten expensive as I get older. Fried Clams, Oysters, the above Delicatessen and Frozen Custard. Just as well.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My best food memory is of eating satay sticks at rickety tables in a carpark in Singapore in the 70s.

This meal stands out in the culinary wasteland of my Australian childhood. In reality I suppose I was spoiled, in Australia we had excellent-quality, affordable meat and fresh vegetables and a full-time stay at home Mum to cook nutritious food for us every night BUT ghee it was bland. The exotic tastes, smells and sounds of a Singapore evening were sensory overload to this Anglo-celtic 6 year old and of course satay is such a child-friendly dish.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A hot bacon roll with tomato sauce eaten on the way to work, early one crisp autumn morning. It was the kind of morning when you could see your breath in the air. Maybe that was why, but it came across as the best bacon roll I ever had. That and a hot coffee with a rich aroma and flavour to wash it down from one of those polystyrene cups with a lid on, and it couldn't get better than that.

Actually, breakfast can be a pretty good thing and going out for breakfast at a weekend and having a plate of bacon, tomatoes, fried egg, mushrooms*, baked beans, hot buttered toast and a coffee or tea, and still getting change from £5, is one of life's under-estimated pleasures. And as before, it's even nicer in the open air.

* These have to be fresh and fried in butter. Tinned ones just don't cut it.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the most memorable things I ate last summer - and hope to again this - was a warm salad of potatoes and broad beans, dug/picked from my own garden.

Mine for just a few months of intermittent toil and the initial outlay of 90k on the house and plot...

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So many examples and fond memories so I'll just stick to the seafood in everyday settings (I've also enjoyed it in expensive surroundings with champagne too!)
- crab feasts with my family in Baltimore, Maryland
-freshly cooked fish and chips watching the early evening waves at Lyme Regis, Dorset
- scallops and black pudding salad with my daughter having walked around one of the bays in Wellington,NZ

What joy!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still remember (40 years ago, now!) the taste of a spiced beef patty, eaten standing at a high table and watching the sea (and my eldest nephew who was being encouraged by his father to jostle my elbow, so I would get the full Jamaican experience!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been misreading this thread title - thinking it said 'The Paper Gourmet' and getting confused as to why eating on a tight budget should involve eating paper! Now I've realised what it says, I can agree that for me the best meals (both past and present) tend to be the cheapest. I think because, for me, when I'm on a tight budget, I don't overeat, and I buy only natural, simple foods, rather than a lot of processed stuff. Overeating can make me feel uncomfortable and then food doesn't taste as good. And a simple, natural meal tastes wonderful.

Also, I tend to shop on the reduced aisles, at the end of the day, when food about to reach its expiry date is reduced to very cheap prices, and I find a lot of interesting food that I wouldn't normally buy - purple and white carrots, for instance, and mini bananas. And there is a sense of fun and unexpectedness to go to the bargain aisle and see what is there - never knowing what you'll find.

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favourite lunches which is also cheap is a hot potato topped with butter, onion, cheese, bacon and coleslaw. I feel great for the rest of the day after such fare, Mind you, I always ask for a crunchy potato from the vendor who always cooks in a special oven, not the microwave which produces an inferior product. Now I'm feeling hungry!

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

A tin of baked beans and bread can be wonderful - but it has to be very fresh, crusty bread spread with cold butter.

I am not generally a goopy tomatoey sauce fancier, but they were my favourite food as a child - except not with potato. That was and is just Wrong.

I'd also say that through all the changing scenes of life I've never lost my affection for hot buttered toast.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Farm stand fresh Sweet bicolor sweet corn before they made all this supersweet crap.Steamed with butter and salt.

A wedge of chilled watermelon.

Clam chowder in all it's forms, Boston, Manhattan and Rhode Island.

Fresh cherries. Not that cheap.

Ripe fresh tomatoes.

All of these can be super expensive or in the right season and place incredibly cheap.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very plain cheap staple foods can be transformed using small quantities of more costly foods and the right herbs and spices, coupled with only slightly more sophisticated techniques.

Lyonnaise Potatoes is a good example of a dish that needs only care, practice and a few extras to transform what would otherwise be plain boiled spuds.

eta: if you leave out the garlic and parsley, and add some streaky bacon and Bisto gravy (or left over gravy from a recent roast) you have "tatties in the tin", a favourite when there is more month left than money.

[ 29. June 2013, 21:14: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Very plain cheap staple foods can be transformed using small quantities of more costly foods and the right herbs and spices, coupled with only slightly more sophisticated techniques.

It pays to buy top quality herbs and spices. Even the most expensive will be a very small percentage of your food budget, and the flavor difference is very great.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved staffordshire oatcakes with cheese and grilled mushrooms. They used to have them everywhere in county where other places would have sandwiches. One of the things I really missed when I moved away after uni.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amika
Shipmate
# 15785

- Posted      Profile for Amika   Email Amika   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chips from the fish and chip shop, eaten out of the paper, was what I craved constantly as a kid, along with my brother and sister. We only got them every now and again as a treat - this was the sixties. Portions back then were (I think) about a quarter of today's portions and always seemed plenty. It's funny how it was the chips and not the fish that we wanted so badly!
Posts: 147 | From: Ingerland | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stuff, or as it's known outside of my household, leftovers (regular conversation at the Arachnid house:
-What are we having for tea?
-Stuff
-Ooh, stuff. My favourite).

There is virtually no food that doesn't taste better the next day with two other types of leftover food added to it: soup made from the water used to cook a gammon, with veg from one meal and meat from another. Leftover roast meat in an omelette, or added to baked beans. The remains of Christmas dinner wrapped in pastry for Boxing Day Pie.

Also wasting food makes me (and probably the baby Jesus) cry.

Am off to raid the fridge for stuff now.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child, one of my favorite veggies was enjoyed in the spring and early summer. All we had to do was labor a bit for it! Dandelion greens!! My brother, sister and I would be sent on a dandelion safari, and we would find as many young leaves as we possibly could. It seems a bushel of the leaves makes about a spoonful cooked for each person at the table.

I think it was special because we found it ourselves! The hunter-gatherer meal. (With freshly caught trout, dandelion made a meal fit for royalty, in our thinking!)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
... I am not generally a goopy tomatoey sauce fancier, but they were my favourite food as a child - except not with potato. That was and is just Wrong.

Yea and amen, Firenze, and also not with a Cooked Breakfast - the sauce from the beans and the fried eggs are Not Friends.

If we get the chance when we're in London and it's late at night, we try to go to the Beigel Bake in Brick Lane, where for very little money you can get a bagel stuffed with cream cheese and a very generous amount of smoked salmon. Perfect sustenance for the trip back to Colchester after a day's shopping.

For cheap DIY eating, beans on toast, or baked potatoes with butter and a generous grind of pepper (grated cheese optional) can be dishes fit for a king, if you're in the mood for them.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was growing up, sometimes we'd have pancakes for supper. I thought this was the coolest thing ever, breakfast for supper. Years later, I was talking to my mom one evening while I was making pancakes for supper, telling her what wonderful memories those meals were. She then says, "Oh, baby, we were so poor, that's all I could afford to fix on those nights."

Way to sully a cherished memory ma [Roll Eyes]

One of my favorite quick, cheap, comfort food meals is a bowl of pasta with a little butter and a lot of garlic. I have been known to fix that for myself in the wee wee hours of the morning...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with BessHiggs on the pasta with butter and garlic - scrumptious!

A variant when I was still gainfully employed was to put the pasta on, chop an onion into a frying pan with butter and a little olive oil then a spoonful of garlic paste from a jar then a few brickettes of frozen chopped spinach and some chilli paste from a jar. Drain the pasta and add to the now ready hot brown sludge and it was a gorgeous, filling meal.

Cheese on toast is another easy standby and using bits of different white, red and blue [or even green] cheeses pretty patterns can be created - and crumpets with cheese melted into them are glorious - particularly with a spoonful of Branston Pickle™.

I really think we need a drool smiley.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Egg and chips, cooked in lard - which is actually not that unhealthy, in moderation, by my nana.

Sardines on toast (you really need the kind in oil for this, it crisps up the toast). I should try it with anchovies since I love anchovies, or upgrade to scotch woodcock.

My nana used to make soft cod or herring roe (also called milts) into a kind of fritter, eaten with lots of salt and vinegar - yum.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favourites is potatoes cut into chip shapes, roasted in the oven with oil, with cheese added for the last ten minutes of roasting.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

If we get the chance when we're in London and it's late at night, we try to go to the Beigel Bake in Brick Lane, where for very little money you can get a bagel stuffed with cream cheese and a very generous amount of smoked salmon. Perfect sustenance for the trip back to Colchester after a day's shopping.

The perfect food for eating at 3 in the morning, having walked back from clubbing in the West End (I used to live in Bethnal Green).

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

A thing you don't see now - I suspect BSE-prompted regulation did for them - is lamb bones. They were butcher's debris - ribs and vertebrae and the like. You roasted them and then gnawed off all the little sweet scraps of meat and fat. It was the sort of meal where you not only got grease on your fingers but your ears.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can recommend getting an allotment or growing your own veg (even if it's just one thing in a pot or windowbox). They're usually much nicer than anything you'll buy in a supermarket, even the "Supermarket's Best". Also, they're free, and it's "family fun" - children can enjoy seeing veg grow and picking fruit, which IMO is a part of childhood every child should have.

[ 30. June 2013, 08:21: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

I love the idea of growing my own, but for me, attempts to grow my own herbs proved considerably more expensive than buying them from Asda. The herbs I was growing were continually getting eaten by slugs, so I was trying all kinds of methods to deter/kill the slugs. When it got to the point where I was buying beer to make beer traps (the one method which did actually work) I realised that it would be a lot cheaper to go to Asda at the end of the day and buy herbs from the reduced aisle, when they are reduced to 2p!

Having said that, my sage and rosemary have never been eaten by slugs - they are the two herbs that have lasted. But my repeated attempts to grow mint, parsley, coriander and basil were always thwarted by slugs!

Another option, though, is to go foraging and pick wild edible plants. There is a field I walk through on my way to work which is full of wild mint, so I always pick some and then make mint tea with it when I get to work. I've also sometimes picked nettles from the woods (I take gloves and scissors, so I don't get stung) and made soup from them - they are full of nutrients and very tasty. And I love blackberry picking in the woods too.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<tangent>

COpper slug tape is fab.

</tangent>

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
<tangent>

COpper slug tape is fab.

</tangent>

Or a band of fine gravel around plants in the ground.

There used be a "restaurant" called No Names in a run-down area within walking distance of the Sydney CBD. It could still be there. For something around $6 a head, you stood on the stairs until a table became free, the were served a huge bowl of spag bol, a piece of veal and a salad. Either you took your own drink or there was unlimited serve-yourself weak orange cordial. If you wanted an after dinner coffee or cake, there were coffee shops around the corner. Obviously not a place to go to for a romantic dinner, but great after a couple of drinks at the pub, or for a quick bite before the theatre or a film.

[ 30. June 2013, 12:15: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
<tangent>

COpper slug tape is fab.

</tangent>

Or a band of fine gravel around plants in the ground.

I've tried the band of fine gravel (and also sand, and egg shells!) and it always washed away in the rain. The copper tape looks promising though - I might try putting it all round my house, as the slugs manage to get into my kitchen and living room too!
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd second the copper slug tape recommendation, it's the only thing we've found that works.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Advice on how to deter slugs would be most welcome on the Gardening thread, where this is a kind of perennial FAQ.

(Advice on how to cook them, free and plentiful though they may be, probably belongs in Hell.)

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
A thing you don't see now - I suspect BSE-prompted regulation did for them - is lamb bones. They were butcher's debris - ribs and vertebrae and the like. You roasted them and then gnawed off all the little sweet scraps of meat and fat. It was the sort of meal where you not only got grease on your fingers but your ears.

Butchers might not have them on display but they'll definitely have them in - well-worth an ask (ditto ham bones for making soup with). Also, Chinese supermarkets should have them (along with other cheap goodies - chillies, ginger, garlic, massive bunches of coriander, chinese or garlic chives which taste quite different to the regular kind).

I also recommend the big bags of broken basmati (and sometimes even jasmine) rice in Indian/Asian grocery stores - nobody notices the broken grains.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Either you took your own drink or there was unlimited serve-yourself weak orange cordial
I remember the cordial. Disgusting, but then I have never liked such stuff. No Names for a while had offspring in various pubs around here. I remember one in a pub near Evangeline and another at Burwood. Haven't heard anything of it for years.

When I was still at school many years ago, we spent January at a lovely beach on the Central Coast on Broken Bay. Our evening meal was always a picnic around the point on the rocks looking back towards Sydney and Barrenjoey.

After lunch dad would make sandwiches for all of us. Always the same. Garlic sausage, thinly sliced onion and tomato. Four Sao biscuits put together with strong bitey cheddar and an orange. I still think of this nostalgically and Saos with cheese is a trigger for the nostalgia.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
... soft cod or herring roe (also called milts) into a kind of fritter ...

When I was a very small piglet, my mum used to do cod roe like that, coated in bright orange Ruskoline breadcrumbs; I remember loving it, but I can't for the life of me think what (if anything) she served with it.

That's just reminded me of the patties/rissoles she made with left-over Sunday joints and potatoes (and the obligatory Ruskoline), served with tomato ketchup - I can taste them yet ...

**sigh**

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child, in the late fifties, battered cod roe featured regularly on our family menu. Served with chips & peas - or at least that's how they figure in my memory. My mother used to cook scollops, too, but made with slices of potato, like circular chips, rather than mash shaped into rounds.
I don't think cod roe and scollops ever appeared together on the same plate.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... Soft herring roes were one of my father's favourite dishes, served on buttered toast and sprinkled with with lots of pepper.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like two fish tacos from Del Taco and the Atkins special (fresh hamburger meat with cheese and condiments wrapped in a lettuce leaf) from In'n'Out Burger. Both are under $4 US or £2.50. First-rate lunches both of them!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By the way, if you are in the US so you can actually order the latter, my lovely bride has told me it is called "protein salad" and it is her favourite.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dinner (or indeed, supper) chez Junior PeteC was often stewed tomatoes, with bread and margarine. Or pancakes spread thinly with jam (or white or brown sugar, whatever Mother had in the house) A small roast of beef, or a chicken, or a pork roast was reserved for company or for Sundays, if for some reason, there was enough money in the house. A tin of vegetable soup, thinned with a little more water than called for often served as supper with omnipresent bread and margarine (Butter was seriously expensive, and only seen at Christmas and Easter.)
eta:
I should be clear that these meals were stretched to feed 3 adults and 5 children

[ 01. July 2013, 14:36: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
(Butter was seriously expensive, and only seen at Christmas and Easter.)

Butter is still known as 'christmas' to most of my family as that's the only time we ever had it.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something I loved when i was in Liverpool was the doughnut stands that are everywhere there. 5 small doughnuts covered in sugar for £1 (or £1.50 or whatever). The smell of the sugar just makes me want more.
A similar DIY version could be eggy bread with lots of sugar. It smells the same anyway!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me, the best summer meal is sweet corn on the cob (usually 3 ears for $1.00) and a freshly picked tomato from my garden. [Axe murder] [Yipee]

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fish and chips from the fish shop in Newlyn eaten sitting on the seats by the bridge, warding off seagulls.
The squidgy strawberries that weren;t good enough to freeze and eaten for Sunday breakfast after we'd been fruit picking on a Saturady.
Good granary bread from the bakers in town cut in culfs (not sure of the spelling - it's Wenglish) with lots of butter.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Local Italian deli on Friday nights during the summer has a great special. Arrive at 6 order a bowl of yummy home made pasta with bread and a bottle of wine. take it outside to the court yard, with tables jammed so close you have to talk to your neighbors. Total price for 2 is just under $20.00. Then stay for the free show. Mostly local talent, and often very good. Well, there was the one night the singer was drunk, but even that was an interesting experience. Tip the jar and away you go for a pauper night out.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Photo Geek:
To me, the best summer meal is sweet corn on the cob...

Our recommended method of cooking is:
1) put water on to boil
2) go out to pick corn
3) eat corn before you get back to the boiling water.

Years ago, two of us stopped in a Chinese Restaurant in Fiji one evening to use up our local currency before leaving the next morning. We ordered 3 dishes to share, it was delicious, we stuffed ourselves and couldn't finish it all. Total cost was about $3.

A couple of our local supermarkets still do a lot of their own meat trimming, and often have 1kg packages of "bacon ends and pieces" or "ham for flavoring", either of which will dress up a huge pit of split pea soup and several other dishes.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheesymarzipan:
Something I loved when i was in Liverpool was the doughnut stands that are everywhere there. 5 small doughnuts covered in sugar for £1 (or £1.50 or whatever). The smell of the sugar just makes me want more.

I must walk around with my eyes closed (or nostrils averted). I have never noticed them and I live there! But then I don't like doughnuts so probably mentally tune them out.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
quote:
Originally posted by Photo Geek:
To me, the best summer meal is sweet corn on the cob...

Our recommended method of cooking is:
1) put water on to boil
2) go out to pick corn
3) eat corn before you get back to the boiling .

Ditto for peas

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A long time ago I used to work opposite Smithfield market in London -- on my way to work I'd walk through the market, dodging barrows laden with corpses and meat porters carrying whole pigs over their shoulder. I used to have lunch at a meat porters cafe -- meat and two veg, pudding (with custard) and a mug of tea, all for £1.40. Even in 1982 that was a complete bargain. And delicious too!

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Fish and chips from the fish shop in Newlyn eaten sitting on the seats by the bridge, warding off seagulls.
The squidgy strawberries that weren;t good enough to freeze and eaten for Sunday breakfast after we'd been fruit picking on a Saturady.
Good granary bread from the bakers in town cut in culfs (not sure of the spelling - it's Wenglish) with lots of butter.

I know you didn't mention it but now I am nostalgic for Welsh cakes!

The best I have ever had were made by old ladies from the parish church during carnival time in Tenby (or something like that - we were on holiday in Amroth), they were making them fresh on griddles outside the church, next to the 'guess the weight of the pig' stall. Best breakfast ever!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016