homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Commination Service

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Commination Service
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apropos of that man of blood Thurible commented that Pusey House used to be more sensible.

I have just passed their notice board and see that Evensong and the Commination Service is on the menu for Tuesday.

Does anyone else lay it on? It used to be a staple in Magdalen College, but that ceased a quarter of a century ago I think.

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cursed be he that hath removed it from Comic Washup........

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Devils Advocate
Shipmate
# 16484

- Posted      Profile for Devils Advocate   Email Devils Advocate   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last time I heard of the Commination service being used was by a vicar who read it from the pulpit one Sunday morning after one of the churchwardens had run of with his wife!
Its a trifle old fashioned (But then theres nothing wrong with that) It's my Sunday evening for taking Choral Evensong and I have decided that we will be having the Greater Litany as it is writ, plus one interpolation from Ritual Notes at some point. All I need to decide it where to put it.

[ 11. February 2013, 14:46: Message buggered about with by: Devils Advocate ]

--------------------
"Oh I have wrought much evil with my spells"

Posts: 97 | From: Lincs | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will you be including the petition for deliverance from the ****** of Rome and all his detestable enormities? Just in keeping with all that is quaint and old fashioned.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cursed be he that posteth not on the H&A day threads.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to read the Commination on Ash Wednesday when I was in England. The Chapel where I ministered was LOW so it was the distinguishing feature of the First Day of Lent.

Present shack has Ashes, the Penitential Office, and Lent Array, which sort of appeals to my Dearmerish streak.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Cursed be he that moveth his neighbour's landmark.'

Very relevant today - one's field was one's livelihood. Multi-nationals dispossessing people in the 3rd world etc.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
'Cursed be he that moveth his neighbour's landmark.'

Very relevant today - one's field was one's livelihood. Multi-nationals dispossessing people in the 3rd world etc.

Amen to that!

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by american piskie:
Apropos of that man of blood Thurible commented that Pusey House used to be more sensible.

I have just passed their notice board and see that Evensong and the Commination Service is on the menu for Tuesday.

Does anyone else lay it on? It used to be a staple in Magdalen College, but that ceased a quarter of a century ago I think.

This surprises me for two reasons:

Firstly, I would never have associated the Commination Service with Pusey House religion.

Secondly, I would never have associated the Commination service with Shrove Tuesday rather than Ash Wednesday

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Percy B:
I would never have associated the Commination service with Shrove Tuesday rather than Ash Wednesday

The rubric states that it is to be used on the First Day of lent and other such days as the Ordinary shall require.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who is the ordinary of Pusey House? I recall being told that the ordinary of a Cambridge college chapel is the Dean. That may also be the case, mutatis mutandis, for an Oxford college chapel, but the Puseum isn't a college chapel.

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metapelagius:
Who is the ordinary of Pusey House? I recall being told that the ordinary of a Cambridge college chapel is the Dean. That may also be the case, mutatis mutandis, for an Oxford college chapel, but the Puseum isn't a college chapel.

Dr Kemp once replied to my question on the College ordinary (I cannot lay hands on his letter, but do recall that it had been written in a dull moment of a Lambeth Conferenece) that to answer such a question one had to be clear what one meant by "ordinary"; it doesn't always mean the same legal person. He held that in most college chapel cases the greater part of the "ordinary" jurisdiction belonged to the Governing Body of the College, although the chapel was in the diocese of Oxford, and if (for example) one wanted a new chapel consecrated then the Bishop would be your man.

[The cases of New College, Magdalen, Christ Church, and perhaps Corpus, are special. Dr Kemp, I seem to recall, thought other assertions of extra-diocesan status mere wishful thinking.]

I think the analogues for Pusey would be the religious communities and their chapels.

Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by american piskie:
quote:

Dr Kemp once replied to my question on the College ordinary (I cannot lay hands on his letter, but do recall that it had been written in a dull moment of a Lambeth Conferenece) that to answer such a question one had to be clear what one meant by "ordinary"; it doesn't always mean the same legal person. He held that in most college chapel cases the greater part of the "ordinary" jurisdiction belonged to the Governing Body of the College, although the chapel was in the diocese of Oxford, and if (for example) one wanted a new chapel consecrated then the Bishop would be your man.

[The cases of New College, Magdalen, Christ Church, and perhaps Corpus, are special. Dr Kemp, I seem to recall, thought other assertions of extra-diocesan status mere wishful thinking.]

I think the analogues for Pusey would be the religious communities and their chapels.

You rouse my curiosity. Christ Church is singular in that it serves as both a college chapel and a cathedral. But why the other three?

--------------------
y rof a duv. dagnouet.

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because they were founded by bishops?

What about Lincoln. I remember the chaplain praying for "Patrick our bishop" rather than Kenneth. I was referring to the Bishop of Lincoln.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:

What about Lincoln. I remember the chaplain praying for "Patrick our bishop" rather than Kenneth. I was referring to the Bishop of Lincoln.

I wondered that - New College was founded by William of Wykeham, Corpus by Richard Foxe. Both were bishops of Winchester. Wm of Wykeham was also Lord Chancellor, as was William of Waynflete, founder of Magdalen. But Wm of Waynflete wasn't bishop of anywhere, but he was Provost of Eton, which is a royal foundation. The founder of Ch Ch was Henry VIII - who took it over from the disgraced Cardinal Wolsey who was also Lord Chancellor, so it is a royal foundation. So three of the four (Ch Ch at one remove) were founded by Lords Chancellor and two by bishops of Winchester, one of whom wasn't LC.

I don't think the answer has emerged from this. As Venbede says other colleges were founded by bishops - Exeter (Exeter), Lincoln (Lincoln), Brasenose (Lincoln), All Souls (Canterbury), or Lords Chancellor - Merton. But these do not figure as 'special cases'.

--------------------
y rof a duv. dagnouet.

NatDogg
Shipmate
# 14347

- Posted      Profile for NatDogg   Email NatDogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I wondered that - New College was founded by William of Wykeham, Corpus by Richard Foxe. Both were bishops of Winchester. Wm of Wykeham was also Lord Chancellor, as was William of Waynflete, founder of Magdalen. But Wm of Waynflete wasn't bishop of anywhere, but he was Provost of Eton, which is a royal foundation. The founder of Ch Ch was Henry VIII - who took it over from the disgraced Cardinal Wolsey who was also Lord Chancellor, so it is a royal foundation. So three of the four (Ch Ch at one remove) were founded by Lords Chancellor and two by bishops of Winchester, one of whom wasn't LC.

I don't think the answer has emerged from this. As Venbede says other colleges were founded by bishops - Exeter (Exeter), Lincoln (Lincoln), Brasenose (Lincoln), All Souls (Canterbury), or Lords Chancellor - Merton. But these do not figure as 'special cases'.

The discussion has taken a fascinating turn!
NatDogg
Shipmate
# 14347

- Posted      Profile for NatDogg   Email NatDogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The discussion has taken a fascinating turn!
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

New College and Magdalen because their founders Wykeham and Waynflete, both Bishops of Winchester, did the right legal and ecclesiastical things to make sure their colleges were detached portions of Winchester diocese. (Hence the case of a Dean of Divinity --- for both colleges have such an officer --- not allowed to officiate in the diocese of Oxford but going his own merry way in Magdalen.) The same may apply to Corpus.

Exeter (of which Dr Kemp was chaplain) was never in the diocese of Exeter, and its current chapel was consecrated by the Bishop of Oxford, without any protest from Exon who was present.

Lincoln (and Brasenose too?) was in diocese of Lincoln, as indeed we all were until Oxford was carved out. I believe that Dr K once murmured that our neighbour's claims to somehow have been left in Lincoln were, hmm, wishful thinking.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cursed be he that deraileth a thread.....

Apropos the Commination Service being confined to the first day of Lent, it might be argued that its use at or after Evensong on Shrove Tuesday could be so construed.

IIRC, the Commination Service was once used (but not in Lent) at a village somewhere in England, following the theft of an alms box from the church.....presumably calling down the Wrath of God on the thief responsible for this Outrage! Surely a prayer for someone so needy as to rob a church alms box (containing, probably, about twopence-farthing) would have been more appropriate.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice try BF but I don't think that evening before business quite works with Ash Wednesday! But let one's conscience be the guide [Smile]

A RC priest friend said he saw Lent as beginning with the liturgy of Ash Wednesday so he had no problem with eating meat for lunch on Ash Wednesday because his liturgy was in the evening.

quote:
there's a nice knock-down argument for you
The Commination service seems to me to be a liturgy for the beginning of Lent encouraging repentance. Perhaps rather than revive it in its 17th century form liturgies could devise a simple act of worship doing the same thing today. I know the C of E book Lent, Holy Week and Easter tried that, or I think it did, but I have not seen it in Common Worship in the C of E.

The advantage, I guess, of the Comminatin service was that it was 'off the peg liturgy' and did not need the fuss and alternatives Comon Worship likes to offer.

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A RC priest friend said he saw Lent as beginning with the liturgy of Ash Wednesday so he had no problem with eating meat for lunch on Ash Wednesday because his liturgy was in the evening.

He ought to know better. Ash Wednesday is a fast day, no matter when the liturgy is, even if there's no liturgy. For shame!

As for beginning the evening before (whether with commination or ashes), that's fine if you're celebrating a feast, but Ash Wednesday is not a feast. It's a feria (though a privileged one), and so liturgically the day begins at midnight.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:

He ought to know better. Ash Wednesday is a fast day, no matter when the liturgy is, even if there's no liturgy. For shame!

As for beginning the evening before (whether with commination or ashes), that's fine if you're celebrating a feast, but Ash Wednesday is not a feast. It's a feria (though a privileged one), and so liturgically the day begins at midnight.

Its difficult to get tongue in cheek into writing sometime! My RC priest friend knew better, he was suggesting loopholes that he knew didn't exist!

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I see. As you were, then! [Biased]

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016