homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » vestment value?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: vestment value?
Ebenezer
Apprentice
# 17463

- Posted      Profile for Ebenezer   Email Ebenezer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Newbie here; I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I've been given the opportunity to buy a second-hand chasuble in exchange for a donation to charity. My difficulty is that I've been given NO guide whatsoever as to what an appropriate sum of money would be. (I asked, and was told to decide for myself.) I'm an ordinand, with as yet no experience of shopping for, purchasing, or even describing (!) vestments, so I'd appreciate advice on what an appropriate donation / payment for this would be.

The item in question is a "fiddle-back" chasuble. The main fabric is I guess a monochrome (red) damask. The orpheys (if that's the right name for the broad vertical strips, front and back) are velvet, decorated with yellow braid, gold thread, and a sprinkling of sequins and gold beads for good measure. All edges of the chasuble and orpheys are trimmed with a decorative binding as well. At first glance it's gorgeous, but already at the second glance you can see that it needs repair. Lots of gold trim has come unstitched (usually just an inch here and an inch there, but one long (maybe 5 in) stretch as well). I have no idea of its age or provenance.* The chasuble is lined, and all the fabric seems to be in good condition although it needs cleaning. No stole is included with it.

(*by which I mean I don't know whether it was made in an Italian nunnery or an Indian sweatshop, not that I have any concerns about its legitimacy as a liturgical garment for purchase.)

What, fellow fools, would be a fair donation for this? Advice (on the price rather than on the merits of Gothic vs Roman styling) welcome. Thank you!

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, here's a selection of brand spanky new ones, which start at $265.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not a great idea to acquire a chasuble without a stole, chalice veil, & burse. It's especially not a good idea to buy one in need of repair, unless you yourself are skilled with a needle--the repairs will almost certainly have to be done by hand.

I think you should give this chasuble a miss. This shouldn't preclude you from making some kind of charitable donation however.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Codepoet

Best Bear On Board
# 5964

- Posted      Profile for Codepoet   Email Codepoet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am interested in the notion of it being given in return for a donation to charity. I imagine that is being offered by a clergy souse or similar who had posession of this thing that they will never be able to use, and want some good to come of it. This is a common situation and often theological colleges or DDOs get given a bag a gear to go to a good home. It seems to me that the charitable cause that ought to be being benefited in this situation is someone about to set out on in ministry with not kit to start with. If looked at that way a very low offer would seem appropriate, with the donner taking leasure from knowing that they have helped set an ordinand up in tat as they offer themselves into God's service. Of course the donner might feel differently - perhaps they have not realy thought the situation through much.
In general it is unusual for CofE ordinands to be aquiring chasubles as curates generally are expected to wear the vestments in the church where they work. Stoles are obviously useful though. I have aquired many stoles from various sources, and all of them that are secondhand were freely given in the hope that they would be well used and be a blessing to me in ministry.

However it sounds to me like the chasuable you havebeen offered contains about £100 of materials and would retail new for around £500+. But do consider carefully - did you really want that style of chasuable, in that colour, with that embroidary? If you are paying the market rate then feel free to pay for the one you want, not just what is being offered.
Also consider that if it needs repair - how are you going to get it repaired. If you us it without repairing it, it will only get more damaged. I would caution against paying anything from it unless you know how you can bring it up to serviceable condition. However it is being offered for free then I would take it as otherwise it might struggle to find a loving home.
It deserves to be treated with respect - being a symbol of another priest's ministry, however that is not the same thing as it having a large monetary value.

--------------------
It's more important to be kind than to be right.

Posts: 1156 | From: Southampton | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What the rest said about this one.
Second-hand chasubles turn up periodically on ebay, which may help you price-mark it.

[ 09. February 2013, 20:58: Message edited by: Qoheleth. ]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Codepoet that, as an ordinand YOU are likely to be a charitable cause.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amos is correct in that, unless you have a substantial patrimony, you qualify as a charitable cause. Given that you are likely to be out some cash for its repair, i would think 50-100 pounds would be reasonable-- I bow to others' estimates as my memory of what a pound is worth is out of date.

You might want to take it around to an experienced restorer-- England has a pretty good network of needlework and embroidery craftspersons -- for its repair. That is is a fiddleback might limit the frequency of its usefulness, but it will always be handy for low Masses/ early morning or weekday celebrations. There is something to be said for vestments staying in use through generations of users-- it helps us with a sense of verticality in time.

Good luck with it and may it have years of use in your ministry.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Codepoet:
I imagine [it] is being offered by a clergy souse...

I've certainly know a few of those in my time.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ebenezer
Apprentice
# 17463

- Posted      Profile for Ebenezer   Email Ebenezer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all for your replies, especially to Codepoet for such a long and thoughtful response.

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
Given that you are likely to be out some cash for its repair, i would think 50-100 pounds would be reasonable-- I bow to others' estimates as my memory of what a pound is worth is out of date.

Do those currently using the pound agree with this suggested range?
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
Originally posted by Codepoet:
I imagine [it] is being offered by a clergy souse...

I've certainly know a few of those in my time.
Maybe a few bottles of cream sherry, then.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hairy Biker
Shipmate
# 12086

- Posted      Profile for Hairy Biker   Email Hairy Biker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a shame. I was hoping this would be a discussion of the value of wearing vestments.
Why do some priest wear them and others not? What do they achieve?

--------------------
there [are] four important things in life: religion, love, art and science. At their best, they’re all just tools to help you find a path through the darkness. None of them really work that well, but they help.
Damien Hirst

Posts: 683 | From: This Sceptred Isle | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most parishes I know have vestments for their clergy - and they will match with the rest of the vestments and maybe the church hangings, sometimes even down to the stoles ...

Are you sure that this is going to be of use to you?

It may end up costing you more than a new one would by the time it has been properly repaired. Unless you have some handy seamstresses in you acquaintances?

TO keep it lovingly in use for worship is one thing but value-wise it could end up a bit of a white elephant.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ebenezer:
Thank you all for your replies, especially to Codepoet for such a long and thoughtful response.

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
Given that you are likely to be out some cash for its repair, i would think 50-100 pounds would be reasonable-- I bow to others' estimates as my memory of what a pound is worth is out of date.

Do those currently using the pound agree with this suggested range?
Ebenezer - Augustine's suggestion may well be right. However, if the vestment is of some antiquarian merit it could be worth more. If so you may want to look at the website of a dealer in secondhand vestments such as Luzar Vestments (Google will help you). Bear in mind also that the repair of older vestments is a skilled business and you may need to find a skilled broderer, which is the general name for people who work on formal vestments of all kinds.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
it is actually quite difficult - it may, as some have suggeted, have antique merit and value, on the other hand it might have no value at all.

It probably needs to be seen by somebody who knows what they are doing..

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
What a shame. I was hoping this would be a discussion of the value of wearing vestments.

Vestments are what priests wear for sacraments (as opposed to choir dress). Most priests will wear a stole, but some also wear copes and chasubles depending on how high church they are. I have attended very low Anglican churches where not even a stole was worn for Communion, however.

The Anglican norm as far as I can tell is surplice and tippet for choir dress, alb and stole for vestments (the stole being the vestment, not the alb).

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:

For more or less the same reasons police officers, delivery men, and airline stewardesses wear uniforms.

Vesture, posture, gesture, as they say.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, gait. Don't forget gait.

I forgot to ask: sequins?! Did this alleged vestment come from from the showgirls who live down the street?

I'm getting a little too old for that whorey look. - from Showgirls

[ 11. February 2013, 21:10: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen sequins on old vestments. Though I believe they were known as spangles in the day.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops! the American flag: "Its stripes were a holy lesson, its spangles a deathless creed"~ Julia Ward Howe

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Star-Spangled Banner" refers, of course, to the fact the stars are not clustered but kind of scattered across the blue field of the US flag. Spangles, then, are small pieces of glitz that were to be scattered across something. If they are cellulose, the garment is anywhere in age from about 1850-1950. If they are metal, it could be earlier. Sequin comes from the Arabic sikka, meaning coin and referring to the tradition in many cultures of sewing a coin or shiny piece of metal to a garment to show off wealth.

And now you know more than you ever wanted to about sequins.

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - P*** John Paul II
quote:

IN OTHER WORDS READ THE THREAD AT THE TOP OF THE DAMN BOARD, thankyou.

Doublethink
P u r g a t o r y H o s t

[ 11. February 2013, 23:21: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe this thread properly belongs in Eccles. Hold onto your mitres !

Doublethink
Purgatory Host

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ebenezer
Apprentice
# 17463

Thanks all. I'm now just about as muddled and uncertain as when I first posted this [Roll Eyes] ... but have at least improved my vocabulary somewhat: broderer, spangles ...
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
And, gait. Don't forget gait.

I forgot to ask: sequins?! Did this alleged vestment come from from the showgirls who live down the street?

I'm getting a little too old for that whorey look. - from Showgirls

<small>[ 11. February 2013, 21:10: Message buggered about with by: Doublethink ]</small>

I wonder if shipmates might not be better advised to frequent museums such as the Victoria and Albert with its vestment displays, rather than the burlesque joints to which they might be more accustomed. It is Lent, no?
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't comment on the spangled number in question, but had a lovely-ish moment last Tuesday as I celebrated Mass for the city clergy this week at my school ...

Given that this is a hot hot place, a humid humid place, I tend to the option of donning the (unspangled, relatively lightweight) chazzie after/at the Peace. By that time I am soaked from head to toe anyway.

This is a tiny (numerically speaking) diocese which has always had a two-strand-tradition: Sydney evangelicals who come up to preach the real gospel and us nasty librul carflicks who need saving. One of the former who came up 60+ years ago - and in many ways is a saint - shuffled up to me and asked, somewhat pointedly "What's that Green Thing™ you put on part way through the service?" It was not an innocent question: he would have seen it as an opportunity to open a conversation designed to redirect me from my wicked and degenerate ways.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

One of the former who came up 60+ years ago - and in many ways is a saint - shuffled up to me and asked, somewhat pointedly "What's that Green Thing™ you put on part way through the service?" It was not an innocent question: he would have seen it as an opportunity to open a conversation designed to redirect me from my wicked and degenerate ways.

So how did you answer?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would hope you pointed him to the fact that St. Paul had one (though not, necessarily, in green). If the author of the Epistle to the Romans isn't sufficient to convince a Sydney Evo, I don't know what would be!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016