homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Funeral for Film Critic Roger Ebert

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Funeral for Film Critic Roger Ebert
Miquelot
Shipmate
# 10140

- Posted      Profile for Miquelot   Email Miquelot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know the music program, order of worship, etc. for the funeral of Roger Ebert at Holy Name Cathedral in Chicago?
Posts: 319 | From: New York City | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love to read a Mystery Worship of the service. He was one of my favorite commentators and all 'round good people. [Tear]

Any Chicagoans available?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We do have several Chicago Shipmates. It would be great if one of them could manage to "do" the funeral.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm having strange mixed feelings about popping up at a celebrity's funeral. On the one hand, I strongly believe in the Judeo-Christian duty of burying the dead. We don't have to physically dig a hole to accompany them with singing. I actually think it a shame that we've lost the sense of this as a duty, thinking of funerals instead as either an opportunity for us to 'get something out of it' (in terms of helping with our mourning) or to support the family. Laudable motives, but missing the point.

On the other hand, the idea of a funeral as a event for curious onlookers and celebrity spotters sits uneasily with me. I suppose I would ask the question of anyone who didn't know Mr. Ebert personally who's going to the funeral: will you use this as a beginning of a renewed attentiveness to burying the rest of your dead brothers and sisters?

[ 09. April 2013, 12:38: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
I'm having strange mixed feelings about popping up at a celebrity's funeral.

Unfortunately, these creeps never have any hesitation to show up.
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I died today, Westboro wouldn't show up. I'm beginning to think that I need to live my life in a a way that would get them to show up. [Biased]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miquelot
Shipmate
# 10140

- Posted      Profile for Miquelot   Email Miquelot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only meant a funeral bulletin, or something akin, not slipping into the funeral itself to spy a look. While listening to the news, I heard a few seconds of the music over the radio and thought it sounded like polyphony, though as I say, it was only a few seconds, so I could not be sure.
Posts: 319 | From: New York City | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aside from funerals I've worked in my former RL (see state funeral reports passim), I've attended funerals of two poets whose worked I've enjoyed. I think that, both times, there were a few dozen or so of readers attending. I suppose that they were celebrities, but I don't suppose that they qualified as stars. I didn't feel particularly ghoulish. I know that the partner of one of them was pleasantly surprised that so many turned up.

Much would, I think, depend on motives. There are those who would go to celebrity-spot, and there are others who go to show respect for the deceased and their contribution. As far as Hart's question goes, I would respond by changing the subject.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was on a business trip and couldn't go to Roger Ebert's funeral. Dropping in on a funeral at Holy Name Cathedral isn't unheard of: the cathedral clergy like to refer to the place as "Where Chicago Goes to Pray," and funerals there, especially for celebs, are as much civic events as ecclesiastical ones. But there were announcements about limited seating being available, first-come, first-served, and security was probably tight-ish at least.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016