Thread: Funeral for Film Critic Roger Ebert Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025805

Posted by Miquelot (# 10140) on :

Does anyone know the music program, order of worship, etc. for the funeral of Roger Ebert at Holy Name Cathedral in Chicago?

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

I'd love to read a Mystery Worship of the service. He was one of my favorite commentators and all 'round good people. [Tear]

Any Chicagoans available?

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

We do have several Chicago Shipmates. It would be great if one of them could manage to "do" the funeral.

Posted by Hart (# 4991) on :

I'm having strange mixed feelings about popping up at a celebrity's funeral. On the one hand, I strongly believe in the Judeo-Christian duty of burying the dead. We don't have to physically dig a hole to accompany them with singing. I actually think it a shame that we've lost the sense of this as a duty, thinking of funerals instead as either an opportunity for us to 'get something out of it' (in terms of helping with our mourning) or to support the family. Laudable motives, but missing the point.

On the other hand, the idea of a funeral as a event for curious onlookers and celebrity spotters sits uneasily with me. I suppose I would ask the question of anyone who didn't know Mr. Ebert personally who's going to the funeral: will you use this as a beginning of a renewed attentiveness to burying the rest of your dead brothers and sisters?

[ 09. April 2013, 12:38: Message edited by: Hart ]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
I'm having strange mixed feelings about popping up at a celebrity's funeral.

Unfortunately, these creeps never have any hesitation to show up.
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Posted by Kyzyl (# 374) on :

If I died today, Westboro wouldn't show up. I'm beginning to think that I need to live my life in a a way that would get them to show up. [Biased]

Posted by Miquelot (# 10140) on :

I only meant a funeral bulletin, or something akin, not slipping into the funeral itself to spy a look. While listening to the news, I heard a few seconds of the music over the radio and thought it sounded like polyphony, though as I say, it was only a few seconds, so I could not be sure.

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

Aside from funerals I've worked in my former RL (see state funeral reports passim), I've attended funerals of two poets whose worked I've enjoyed. I think that, both times, there were a few dozen or so of readers attending. I suppose that they were celebrities, but I don't suppose that they qualified as stars. I didn't feel particularly ghoulish. I know that the partner of one of them was pleasantly surprised that so many turned up.

Much would, I think, depend on motives. There are those who would go to celebrity-spot, and there are others who go to show respect for the deceased and their contribution. As far as Hart's question goes, I would respond by changing the subject.

Posted by Oblatus (# 6278) on :

I was on a business trip and couldn't go to Roger Ebert's funeral. Dropping in on a funeral at Holy Name Cathedral isn't unheard of: the cathedral clergy like to refer to the place as "Where Chicago Goes to Pray," and funerals there, especially for celebs, are as much civic events as ecclesiastical ones. But there were announcements about limited seating being available, first-come, first-served, and security was probably tight-ish at least.

© Ship of Fools 2016