homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Anglican chanting

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Anglican chanting
Ton Meijer
Apprentice
# 17757

- Posted      Profile for Ton Meijer   Author's homepage   Email Ton Meijer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since I am very new to the ship, this may not be the right place for my message. In which case I humbly pray for forgiveness..

On several occasions I have heard Anglican psalm chanting where I tried later on to find out what chant it was. Since there appears to be no simple way, I decided to start compiling an overal melodic index. So far I have included only a few books, but work is going on to get as many possible. If you are interested in Anglican Chanting, you may want to have a look at my site: www.anglicanchant.nl

BTW three days after the site went online I got a message from a lady who had been looking for a chant for years and now finally located it...

--------------------
Ton Meijer

Posts: 4 | From: Belgium | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, that's very a very interesting project now. I especially like the layout of the chart with the different intervals on the cadences made clear.

Oh, and... very welcome to the Ship by the way! Hope you hang around and explore a few of our other discussions [Smile]

dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
AndyB
Shipmate
# 10186

- Posted      Profile for AndyB   Author's homepage   Email AndyB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most recent edition (the third) of the Irish Chant Book has been out of print since the late 1980s, but it is worth getting if you can.
Posts: 149 | From: Belfast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ton Meijer
Apprentice
# 17757

- Posted      Profile for Ton Meijer   Author's homepage   Email Ton Meijer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AndyB, thank you for the suggestion. It is on my list. Unfortunately I can manage only so many chants per day [Hot and Hormonal] But I will certainly try to lay my hands on one

--------------------
Ton Meijer

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi. Yes, I am interested in Anglican chants: I have a collection of over 1100 built up over 50 years. My collection is in manuscript (the last couple of hundred are printed from Sibelius files) and is essentially personal and private. Not many books have been used in my collection - some are from "dictation" from Choral Evensong broadcasts, others from directors/members of courses I've been on. Also there are quite a few chants hidden away on the interweb.

I too have an index and, though it's not as good as yours, I don't think I'm going to rework mine at this stage.

I'll look at your site with much interest and comment privately. One thing you might consider immediately, though, is the copyright situation. Copyright continues in the EU for 70 years after the death of the composer, so G H Knight's chants for example are still in copyright (probably now assigned to the RSCM). Offering to negotiate with copyright holders doesn't cut it: copyright holders are not expected to monitor for infringements!

Morlader

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AndyB, is The Irish Chant Book Chants and Responses edited by T R G Jose and G W Torrance the book of which you speak?

Ton Meijer, you may also be interested in The Anglican Chant Psalter edited by Alec Wyton (Church Publishing Inc., 1989. ISBN 978-0898691351). There are 2 chants for each psalm (US Book of Common Prayer 1979 translation), and the first chant (and sometimes the 2nd) is always in the public domain.

I notice that on your website one of the books listed is Psalter Gregoriaans en Chants. Are the chants there Anglican style, or (since I see Gregoriaans in the title, but don't know Dutch) are they plainsong?

On a plainsong tangent, for any interested, Church Publishing also has The Plainsong Psalter, again with the BCP 1979 psalter, plus antiphons from Howard E. Galley's Prayer Book Office, or when no antiphons exist in Galley, from Crocker and Haizlip's Gradual Psalms (Church Publishing, 1981)

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ton Meijer
Apprentice
# 17757

Morlader: thank you for your interest, I'll await your comments. In what form is your index? Also melodic or just composer or .... Regarding the copyright situation: I have checked this with the Dutch copyright organisation (Buma/Stemra, since the site is hosted in The Netherlands) and according to them there is no copyright issue in the way I present the information. I have this in a direct email and I have proof that they actually inspected the site).
Ton Meijer
Apprentice
# 17757

Malik3000: The Wyton book is already on my to-do list, but thank you for the suggestion.

The Dutch book "Psalter Gregoriaans and Chants" is indeed a combination of both. For each psalm there is a Gregorian-style plainsong and an Anglican-style chant with pointing of the Dutch tekst. The chants are mostly new compositions by Christiaan Winter, but some "traditional" ones are also used.

--------------------
Ton Meijer

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ton Meijer:
Morlader: thank you for your interest, I'll await your comments. In what form is your index? Also melodic or just composer or .... Regarding the copyright situation: I have checked this with the Dutch copyright organisation (Buma/Stemra, since the site is hosted in The Netherlands) and according to them there is no copyright issue in the way I present the information. I have this in a direct email and I have proof that they actually inspected the site).

My main index is indeed melodic - but it's written in a notebook (being devised long before the web or even computers!) I'll explain how it works off SoF. I've got a composers index too.

Good news about copyright. Some composers, or perhaps their publishers, have active teams enforcing copyright, so it literally pays to be careful. [Biased]

More to follow off ship...

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TM, welcome aboard! I don't know if this is helpful to you, but if you're on Facebook, there's a group called the Anglican Chant Appreciation Society, which may give you some interesting contacts.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016