homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Let it snow! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Let it snow!
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Instead of getting squashed by the crowds this Black Friday, consider joining your shipmates in an annual binge of making snowflakes at Snowdays. Of course, I never stopped from last winter- I am seriously addicted. But I love seeing what other shippies create. Ya'll should especially look at Churchgeek's. She has been making some fabulous ones over the months. If you wish your shipmates to easily find your flakes, write SOF in the "Where are you from?" line.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, how lovely. I love wasting time in creative ways like this. [Cool]

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, Piglet, wait until you get home from w*rk. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More than 6400 SOF flakes, currently viewing creations by Lydarose, Alicia and Pearlie. Lyda had too much time on her hands on 13 Nov!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lyda*Rose - yours are amazing!!

:jealous:

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
More than 6400 SOF flakes, currently viewing creations by Lydarose, Alicia and Pearlie. Lyda had too much time on her hands on 13 Nov!

[Snigger]

ETA: And thank you, Boogie. [Smile]

[ 29. November 2013, 19:07: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She has been practicing all year!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
She has been practicing all year!

Jengie

Sad but true. I'm addicted I tell you! [Waterworks] [Biased]

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My intention was to remind shippies about "Create a Snowflake". But Lyda beat me to it. Browsing the flakes is as much fun as making them. L*R is definitely the champ. Try it! You'll love it.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fun, added a few. BTW - when does the haggis hunt begin?

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
30th November or Tomorrow. It runs from St Andrews day to Burns Night. You can check it out here.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to admit, I thought about this several times during the year, especially during the hottest days of July. I've been waiting for this thread to reappear—"now Ariston, making snowflakes is only for Christmas, you have to be good and wait for Lyda to post the snowflake thread, no opening your presents early, to everything there is a season…"

Being good is overrated.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Jengie!

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lyda Rose, do you work with a tablet and stylus? I just can't get the evenness of line with a mouse.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

No. It has taken me a while (!) to get fairly steady with a mouse, and if you look closely, I'm not really all that neat- that's where adding a lot of frou-frou for distraction comes in handy. [Biased]

But if you haven't discovered the right click menu, try it, look for "Don't simplify", and use that setting for the bits that you really don't want to look bumpy. You can't use it for your whole design or you soon get the dreaded "Put down the scissors" message. I usually use "Snap to grid (Original Snowdays) and then use the "Don't simplify" for fussy parts.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My hands are far too shaky to get clean lines.

[ 30. November 2013, 03:13: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hand cramping. Early morning. Computer overheating. Looking up Matisse papercuts. Program says to put down the scissors.

I think I should probably call it a night. But…one more won't hurt any more, right?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hhmmmm I am beginning to think Lyda*Rose needs an Intervention.

These addicts ... Ya know.

Huia [Biased]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Hhmmmm I am beginning to think Lyda*Rose needs an Intervention.

These addicts ... Ya know.

Huia [Biased]

I know I do. But who's going to make me put down those scissors? Mwah-ha-ha!! [Two face]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay snowflakes!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dammit, I'm hooked too. [Hot and Hormonal]

Huia

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Yeah, you've been doing some serious damage with those scissors. Good ones!

--------------------

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's some photos of real snowflakes (not half a intricate as some of the snow days ones though)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

After ages of making frou-frou, Victorian jewelry flakes, I took a shot at making a few flakes based on real snowflakes. 11711416 is my favorite.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a bunch but I put them under my real name... so you lot wouldn't know my creations! Waaaa! I'll have to make a few under my secret identity here on The Ship... or PM me and I'll share my real name. [Big Grin]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, here's one of mine, a modest creation: 11749171.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MIne are under KELLY A, location SOF.

Please post something encouraging-- the trolls seem to be at mine ! [Frown]

Also, I like the animation because it allows me to cop ideas-- I attempted to replicate Ariston's style, for instance.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm liking the minimalistic ones this year (and trying to copy them.) A lot of folk have been choosing to go with a lot of white spaces.

ETA: Hee! and I just hoped on when a teacher apparently allowed her class to hop on and play-- a lot of flakes falling from a particular school.

[ 09. December 2013, 20:44: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did a bunch this evening. Name: GK. Location: SOF.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying hard not to have another go at this... I somehow lost quite a lot of time last week producing all of 2 snowflakes...! [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

It happens. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Winnow
Apprentice
# 5656

- Posted      Profile for Winnow   Email Winnow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have enjoyed seeing the SOF snowflakes! I entered some as CF ...
Posts: 34 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I have to confess something. People keep praising me for my animation, and.. um..I have no idea how I am doing it. But I am seeing results from others that suggest they are doing it on purpose. Is it in the settings or something?

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Animation pretty much "just happens" if you put enough separate cuts in the flake in some semblance of order. Some people have gotten down the techniques of getting shapes to expand, shrink, appear and disappear. And somehow they get some sort of slo-mo into them so you can really see them go. I'm not one of them. [Frown] If my "animation" is pleasing at times, it's sort of accidental. Sometimes the way I build my flakes will be from the center out or vice versa, or I'll make a row of dots that grows along a line and voila! I've got animation. I've seen a number of flakers over the years who are absolute geniuses at beautiful design and beautiful animation combined.

--------------------

Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love looking at everyones beautiful creations and having a lot of fun creating my own too [Yipee] until each time it dawns on me ... goodness me is that the time already? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making snowflakes is almost therapeutic. Especially when I just mash the mouse around for a few minutes and see what the results look like!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was very good and didn't make a single snowflake until late on Sunday evening.

[Angel]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

The local library hasd a table for making Christmas decorations today, so I told the librarian about Snowday and am hoping she passes it on.

Hmm... not only an addict, but spreading the addiction far and wide.

Huia

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Pusher. [Biased]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Guilty as charged - Oh the shame! [Hot and Hormonal]

Huia - in sackcloth and ashes

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re animation:

I do it accidentally, too. However, do an online search for instructions for SnowDays. Some people have posted intricate details. I think one is Mister X. IIRC, he puts the address in his own snowflakes.

BTW: If you interact with other snowflakers, via their snowflakes, you can check in with them and on their flakes each year.

YMMV.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

BTW: If you interact with other snowflakers, via their snowflakes, you can check in with them and on their flakes each year.

I don't really interact much. I do not enter my e-mail, so I do not get notified. I feel a bit bad for that, I suppose.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That poor gal who models the T-shirts must be sick to death of changing her shirt a thousand times a day [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm having fun with animations now! #11831162 is my latest effort - I was trying to make it dance rather than just flash...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

You were on a roll for a while there, Marv! [Big Grin] I logged on last night to find a bazillion of your offerings.

--------------------

JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incidentally, there's also a mobile app. Search for snowflake for iPhone/iPad. Sharing options include Facebook or e-mail.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

I don't really interact much. I do not enter my e-mail, so I do not get notified. I feel a bit bad for that, I suppose.
Oh, don't feel bad about it! I just meant that it can add an extra dimension of fun, for those who want to try it.

If you do put in your e-mail address, it is never shown publicly. When someone comments on that flake, you get an e-mail notice, with a direct link to the flake. Then you can respond, if you like.

FWIW.

--------------------

Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For another approach to Snowflakes (Dancing), we can thank Mark Morris...

cheers from Boston /Joan

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Must...

stop...

making...

snowflakes...

[Help]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Smudgie: [Overused]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016