Thread: Let it snow! Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026771

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Instead of getting squashed by the crowds this Black Friday, consider joining your shipmates in an annual binge of making snowflakes at Snowdays. Of course, I never stopped from last winter- I am seriously addicted. But I love seeing what other shippies create. Ya'll should especially look at Churchgeek's. She has been making some fabulous ones over the months. If you wish your shipmates to easily find your flakes, write SOF in the "Where are you from?" line.

Posted by Alicďa (# 7668) on :

Oh, how lovely. I love wasting time in creative ways like this. [Cool]

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

Now, Piglet, wait until you get home from w*rk. [Big Grin]

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

More than 6400 SOF flakes, currently viewing creations by Lydarose, Alicia and Pearlie. Lyda had too much time on her hands on 13 Nov!

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Lyda*Rose - yours are amazing!!

:jealous:

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
More than 6400 SOF flakes, currently viewing creations by Lydarose, Alicia and Pearlie. Lyda had too much time on her hands on 13 Nov!

[Snigger]

ETA: And thank you, Boogie. [Smile]

[ 29. November 2013, 19:07: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

She has been practicing all year!

Jengie

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
She has been practicing all year!

Jengie

Sad but true. I'm addicted I tell you! [Waterworks] [Biased]

Posted by Pearl B4 Swine (# 11451) on :

My intention was to remind shippies about "Create a Snowflake". But Lyda beat me to it. Browsing the flakes is as much fun as making them. L*R is definitely the champ. Try it! You'll love it.

Posted by Kyzyl (# 374) on :

Fun, added a few. BTW - when does the haggis hunt begin?

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

30th November or Tomorrow. It runs from St Andrews day to Burns Night. You can check it out here.

Jengie

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

I have to admit, I thought about this several times during the year, especially during the hottest days of July. I've been waiting for this thread to reappear—"now Ariston, making snowflakes is only for Christmas, you have to be good and wait for Lyda to post the snowflake thread, no opening your presents early, to everything there is a season…"

Being good is overrated.

Posted by Kyzyl (# 374) on :

Thanks Jengie!

Posted by Barnabas Aus (# 15869) on :

Lyda Rose, do you work with a tablet and stylus? I just can't get the evenness of line with a mouse.

No. It has taken me a while (!) to get fairly steady with a mouse, and if you look closely, I'm not really all that neat- that's where adding a lot of frou-frou for distraction comes in handy. [Biased]

But if you haven't discovered the right click menu, try it, look for "Don't simplify", and use that setting for the bits that you really don't want to look bumpy. You can't use it for your whole design or you soon get the dreaded "Put down the scissors" message. I usually use "Snap to grid (Original Snowdays) and then use the "Don't simplify" for fussy parts.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

My hands are far too shaky to get clean lines.

[ 30. November 2013, 03:13: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

Hand cramping. Early morning. Computer overheating. Looking up Matisse papercuts. Program says to put down the scissors.

I think I should probably call it a night. But…one more won't hurt any more, right?

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Hhmmmm I am beginning to think Lyda*Rose needs an Intervention.

These addicts ... Ya know.

Huia [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Hhmmmm I am beginning to think Lyda*Rose needs an Intervention.

These addicts ... Ya know.

Huia [Biased]

I know I do. But who's going to make me put down those scissors? Mwah-ha-ha!! [Two face]

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

Yay snowflakes!

Dammit, I'm hooked too. [Hot and Hormonal]

Huia

Yeah, you've been doing some serious damage with those scissors. Good ones!

Posted by cheesymarzipan (# 9442) on :

Here's some photos of real snowflakes (not half a intricate as some of the snow days ones though)

After ages of making frou-frou, Victorian jewelry flakes, I took a shot at making a few flakes based on real snowflakes. 11711416 is my favorite.

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

I've got a bunch but I put them under my real name... so you lot wouldn't know my creations! Waaaa! I'll have to make a few under my secret identity here on The Ship... or PM me and I'll share my real name. [Big Grin]

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

Okay, here's one of mine, a modest creation: 11749171.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

MIne are under KELLY A, location SOF.

Please post something encouraging-- the trolls seem to be at mine ! [Frown]

Also, I like the animation because it allows me to cop ideas-- I attempted to replicate Ariston's style, for instance.

I'm liking the minimalistic ones this year (and trying to copy them.) A lot of folk have been choosing to go with a lot of white spaces.

ETA: Hee! and I just hoped on when a teacher apparently allowed her class to hop on and play-- a lot of flakes falling from a particular school.

[ 09. December 2013, 20:44: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

I did a bunch this evening. Name: GK. Location: SOF.

Posted by Beethoven (# 114) on :

I'm trying hard not to have another go at this... I somehow lost quite a lot of time last week producing all of 2 snowflakes...! [Ultra confused]

It happens. [Big Grin]

Posted by Winnow (# 5656) on :

Have enjoyed seeing the SOF snowflakes! I entered some as CF ...

I have to confess something. People keep praising me for my animation, and.. um..I have no idea how I am doing it. But I am seeing results from others that suggest they are doing it on purpose. Is it in the settings or something?

Animation pretty much "just happens" if you put enough separate cuts in the flake in some semblance of order. Some people have gotten down the techniques of getting shapes to expand, shrink, appear and disappear. And somehow they get some sort of slo-mo into them so you can really see them go. I'm not one of them. [Frown] If my "animation" is pleasing at times, it's sort of accidental. Sometimes the way I build my flakes will be from the center out or vice versa, or I'll make a row of dots that grows along a line and voila! I've got animation. I've seen a number of flakers over the years who are absolute geniuses at beautiful design and beautiful animation combined.

Posted by Alicďa (# 7668) on :

I love looking at everyones beautiful creations and having a lot of fun creating my own too [Yipee] until each time it dawns on me ... goodness me is that the time already? [Big Grin]

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

Making snowflakes is almost therapeutic. Especially when I just mash the mouse around for a few minutes and see what the results look like!

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

I was very good and didn't make a single snowflake until late on Sunday evening.

[Angel]

The local library hasd a table for making Christmas decorations today, so I told the librarian about Snowday and am hoping she passes it on.

Hmm... not only an addict, but spreading the addiction far and wide.

Huia

Pusher. [Biased]

Guilty as charged - Oh the shame! [Hot and Hormonal]

Huia - in sackcloth and ashes

Re animation:

I do it accidentally, too. However, do an online search for instructions for SnowDays. Some people have posted intricate details. I think one is Mister X. IIRC, he puts the address in his own snowflakes.

BTW: If you interact with other snowflakers, via their snowflakes, you can check in with them and on their flakes each year.

YMMV.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

BTW: If you interact with other snowflakers, via their snowflakes, you can check in with them and on their flakes each year.

I don't really interact much. I do not enter my e-mail, so I do not get notified. I feel a bit bad for that, I suppose.

Posted by Pearl B4 Swine (# 11451) on :

That poor gal who models the T-shirts must be sick to death of changing her shirt a thousand times a day [Ultra confused]

I'm having fun with animations now! #11831162 is my latest effort - I was trying to make it dance rather than just flash...

You were on a roll for a while there, Marv! [Big Grin] I logged on last night to find a bazillion of your offerings.

Posted by JB (# 1776) on :

Incidentally, there's also a mobile app. Search for snowflake for iPhone/iPad. Sharing options include Facebook or e-mail.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

I don't really interact much. I do not enter my e-mail, so I do not get notified. I feel a bit bad for that, I suppose.
Oh, don't feel bad about it! I just meant that it can add an extra dimension of fun, for those who want to try it.

If you do put in your e-mail address, it is never shown publicly. When someone comments on that flake, you get an e-mail notice, with a direct link to the flake. Then you can respond, if you like.

FWIW.

Posted by Joan Rasch (# 49) on :

For another approach to Snowflakes (Dancing), we can thank Mark Morris...

cheers from Boston /Joan

Must...

stop...

making...

snowflakes...

[Help]

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

Smudgie: [Overused]

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

Who?
Me?
Mine are very basic. Which one did you spot?

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

The one with the penguins. Give yourself a star! [Big Grin]

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

[Big Grin]
I rather liked that one too.

© Ship of Fools 2016