homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Town Quire

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Town Quire
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Llandaff Cathedral's close harmony ensemble is called the 'Low Rangers'. Any other good names for choirs out there?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a Choir, but the Williamsburg, Virginia, public library has a concert series - The Dewey Decibel Concerts.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my home city in the Netherlands, there is a gay choir called Zangzaad ('Singing seed'). I always found that name slightly odd.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In high school some of the guys in the Madrigal Singers formed their own barbershop quartet named the Eight Balls. [Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
In my home city in the Netherlands, there is a gay choir called Zangzaad ('Singing seed'). I always found that name slightly odd.

I find it odder that a choir should choose its members according to sexuality. (What's that smell? Has something died?)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IME choirs can't choose their members for the most part: they take whoever comes along and can meet the musical, and other, requirements. Of course, publicity at choir formation stage and subsequently influences who comes along. [Biased]

On the OP, there's an outfit near here called "The Kruners". You can guess the sort of music that they sing.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Not a Choir, but the Williamsburg, Virginia, public library has a concert series - The Dewey Decibel Concerts.

Presumably they're good at making sense of the dots ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a well known choir round here called the 'Gert Lush' choir, but you probably have to be local to get it.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A women's choir started up recently called 'Vocal Harem'. Soon, their husbands wanted to form a choir of their own, so they are known as the 'Sultans of Sing'. Both groups are surprisingly popular, in part perhaps due to their slightly saucy titles.

--------------------

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

I find it odder that a choir should choose its members according to sexuality. (What's that smell? Has something died?)
I kinda get where you're coming from, but if you're gay it's really useful to have social activities where you can meet other gay people, both as a way to make connections and feel safe being yourself at social activities. It doesn't have to be a choir, but I joined an LGBT choir when I was at uni and it was a great experience for me. It's really easy to get isolated if you're LGBT, and if clubs and pubs aren't your thing (they certainly aren't mine) it can be really difficult to meet potential partners. Less so in the internet age, of course.
Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I just wanted to say that I don't have a particularly strong opinion on this choir's selection criteria. I know them because they sang in our church once, and I thought their name was funny.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

I have dragged the carcass down to
this new Dead Horses thread.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

On a brighter note, many years ago I sang in a choir ran by a man called Harold. So of course, informally at least, we were known as 'Harold's Angels'. And who could blame us, at Christmas, if we changed one teensy little vowel sound to sing 'Hark the Harold Angels Sing!'

--------------------

cosmic dance
Shipmate
# 14025

- Posted      Profile for cosmic dance   Email cosmic dance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a friend who is the musical director of a gay choir called "The Glamaphones".

--------------------
"No method, no teacher, no guru..." Van Morrison.

Posts: 233 | From: godzone | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
On a brighter note, many years ago I sang in a choir ran by a man called Harold. So of course, informally at least, we were known as 'Harold's Angels'. And who could blame us, at Christmas, if we changed one teensy little vowel sound to sing 'Hark the Harold Angels Sing!'

In a similar vein, my parents used to be psychiatric nurses who worked with a charge nurse called Gerry. On taking staff carolling, they used to give a rendition of 'God rest you, Gerry's Mental Men'.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine runs a choir called Fine Chants

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our choir which rehearses and performs at our local Irish cultural centre is called Celtica! We sang carols and popular songs on Saturday.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not that great, but when I was in college at the University of Michigan, whose colors are "Maize and Blue," there was an a cappella group (presumably one whose membership changed every year) called Amazin' Blue. Might still be around, who knows.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I belong to a regional choir. I am its chaplain, btw. We are called the "Alley Cats".... But we don't sound like naughty, midnight, yowling kitties at all!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here we have "Men of Note", "Here Comes Treble" and from the high school, the "Man Choir"- which must be said like an action movie announcer with a growl in your throat. I have half the Man Choir in my debate team, they always serenade us while we're traveling.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016