Thread: Town Quire Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026790

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Llandaff Cathedral's close harmony ensemble is called the 'Low Rangers'. Any other good names for choirs out there?

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Not a Choir, but the Williamsburg, Virginia, public library has a concert series - The Dewey Decibel Concerts.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

In my home city in the Netherlands, there is a gay choir called Zangzaad ('Singing seed'). I always found that name slightly odd.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

In high school some of the guys in the Madrigal Singers formed their own barbershop quartet named the Eight Balls. [Snigger]

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
In my home city in the Netherlands, there is a gay choir called Zangzaad ('Singing seed'). I always found that name slightly odd.

I find it odder that a choir should choose its members according to sexuality. (What's that smell? Has something died?)

Posted by Morlader (# 16040) on :

IME choirs can't choose their members for the most part: they take whoever comes along and can meet the musical, and other, requirements. Of course, publicity at choir formation stage and subsequently influences who comes along. [Biased]

On the OP, there's an outfit near here called "The Kruners". You can guess the sort of music that they sing.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Not a Choir, but the Williamsburg, Virginia, public library has a concert series - The Dewey Decibel Concerts.

Presumably they're good at making sense of the dots ...

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

There's a well known choir round here called the 'Gert Lush' choir, but you probably have to be local to get it.

A women's choir started up recently called 'Vocal Harem'. Soon, their husbands wanted to form a choir of their own, so they are known as the 'Sultans of Sing'. Both groups are surprisingly popular, in part perhaps due to their slightly saucy titles.

Posted by Liopleurodon (# 4836) on :

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

I find it odder that a choir should choose its members according to sexuality. (What's that smell? Has something died?)
I kinda get where you're coming from, but if you're gay it's really useful to have social activities where you can meet other gay people, both as a way to make connections and feel safe being yourself at social activities. It doesn't have to be a choir, but I joined an LGBT choir when I was at uni and it was a great experience for me. It's really easy to get isolated if you're LGBT, and if clubs and pubs aren't your thing (they certainly aren't mine) it can be really difficult to meet potential partners. Less so in the internet age, of course.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

(I just wanted to say that I don't have a particularly strong opinion on this choir's selection criteria. I know them because they sang in our church once, and I thought their name was funny.)

Posted by Vulpior (# 12744) on :

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

I have dragged the carcass down to
this new Dead Horses thread.

On a brighter note, many years ago I sang in a choir ran by a man called Harold. So of course, informally at least, we were known as 'Harold's Angels'. And who could blame us, at Christmas, if we changed one teensy little vowel sound to sing 'Hark the Harold Angels Sing!'

Posted by cosmic dance (# 14025) on :

I have a friend who is the musical director of a gay choir called "The Glamaphones".

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
On a brighter note, many years ago I sang in a choir ran by a man called Harold. So of course, informally at least, we were known as 'Harold's Angels'. And who could blame us, at Christmas, if we changed one teensy little vowel sound to sing 'Hark the Harold Angels Sing!'

In a similar vein, my parents used to be psychiatric nurses who worked with a charge nurse called Gerry. On taking staff carolling, they used to give a rendition of 'God rest you, Gerry's Mental Men'.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

A friend of mine runs a choir called Fine Chants

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

Our choir which rehearses and performs at our local Irish cultural centre is called Celtica! We sang carols and popular songs on Saturday.

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

Not that great, but when I was in college at the University of Michigan, whose colors are "Maize and Blue," there was an a cappella group (presumably one whose membership changed every year) called Amazin' Blue. Might still be around, who knows.

Posted by Rowen (# 1194) on :

I belong to a regional choir. I am its chaplain, btw. We are called the "Alley Cats".... But we don't sound like naughty, midnight, yowling kitties at all!

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

Here we have "Men of Note", "Here Comes Treble" and from the high school, the "Man Choir"- which must be said like an action movie announcer with a growl in your throat. I have half the Man Choir in my debate team, they always serenade us while we're traveling.

© Ship of Fools 2016