homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Snow, Floods, Winds ..............

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Snow, Floods, Winds ..............
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What with all the snow, floods and winds here in the UK and in the US, are all Shippies home, warm and dry?

[Votive] for all those who aren't and whose Christmas was spoilt.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Warm and dry here in the Flatlands, thank you.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
thinking of Eastern and Central Canada

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Warm and dry here too but very aware there are plenty who aren't. [Frown]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fine here, But work tomorrow is next door to a building which is notorious for high winds. Last time the TV interviewed someone who was blown over and badly injured: She is a colleague. There is no other route from the railway station to work but past this point.

High winds are forecast for tomorrow. I hope they are from the south, as things are not as bad when the winds are in that direction. Any other direction and things could be interesting.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
John D. Ward
Shipmate
# 1378

- Posted      Profile for John D. Ward   Email John D. Ward   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Warm and dry here too but very aware there are plenty who aren't. [Frown]

What she said. Here in Swansea, we are very lucky.
Posts: 208 | From: Swansea, Wales, U.K. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Fine here, But work tomorrow is next door to a building which is notorious for high winds. Last time the TV interviewed someone who was blown over and badly injured: She is a colleague. There is no other route from the railway station to work but past this point.

High winds are forecast for tomorrow. I hope they are from the south, as things are not as bad when the winds are in that direction. Any other direction and things could be interesting.

I think I know which area you mean, Balaam. Good luck tomorrow. Maybe a brick in each pocket, just until the weather settles?

I have a cousin and his family coming over to the UK from parts where winter means below 20°C. He might be in for a shock.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've got about 2 feet of snow, which is freezing hard (-9°C the last time I checked with the Weather Channel). Although getting about on Christmas Day itself was pretty scary (we came down our road sideways, even with studded tyres), the sun was splitting the rocks today. We're expecting another eight inches of snow on Friday, which we could do without.

The flooding in Kent made it on to the Weather Channel this afternoon - it looked pretty nasty.

Look after yourselves. [Smile] [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our (very full) Christmas Household all left today; some as planned but one group left early to escape the forecasted winds.

As a grandparent my heart is in my mouth as the kids and grandkids drive off...every....single time as well. I smile. And wave wildly. Confident infornt of them as well.

I KNOW they are excellant drivers. I KNOW that the pilots for those flying are brilliant. I KNOW that the liklihood of disaster for the the Very Large Mobile Home that one offspring drives is vVv slight. I am TOTALLY aware that the track record of the drivers for our bus traveller are great ( yeah, i checked!) But I'm a right ole worrypants (Dear God have mercy on me)
[Frown]

Come tomorrow, when i hear that they are ALL home, i shall breathe easier....

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tis quite nice here. JB was out cleaning the headlights and washing cars today. I was watching You tube videos of Dr Who.

Good day was had by all. [Snigger]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unseasonably warm Christmas Day and Boxing Day, with temps in the day from -2 to -5°C. It's back to normal tomorrow, with temps to drop to -25° by midday, snow, and then -35°C overnight which should clear it. Rellies in southern Ontario report they missed the power outages and are now going down to a mere -10. There are many who had no power or heat for Christmas and Boxing Days.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal] It's been bright and sunny and starry the last few days here.

Basking in the clement weather until I clicked on some HuffPost links and saw a little lighthouse in Brighton cowering under a wave twice its size. Jeez! Stay safe, Britmates!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very stormy night here - but now calming down.

All fences survived, phew.

Feeling for all those with no power [Frown] [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still windy here, although the rain has died down. I'm extremely glad to live near the top of a hill - a static caravan park in our town was evacuated due to flooding.

[Votive] for all affected by the weather.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother now has power - they had to decamp to someone elses' house to celebrate Christmas. My uncle and aunt just outside Guildford managed to get to church Christmas morning, then has a two-hour detour to get back home as the village was cut in half by rising flood waters.

Oop north, yesterday was brilliant and sunny. Today it's like standing in a washing machine. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice again.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunny, but raining [Ultra confused] and breezy with sudden gusts, enough to knock bins and signs over. Not problem weather, though.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well - windy enough to cancel ferries to Mull and any attempt to attend Midnight Mass. And bad enough to cause major delays on West Coast trains all day.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Unseasonably warm Christmas Day and Boxing Day, with temps in the day from -2 to -5°C.

Similar here, only it was the two days before Christmas that it warmed up enough to rain. To the non-Frozen Chosen: rain is a disaster in snow country. It got very dangerous and scary. then cooled off on Christmas eve and snowed again, and all though til late last night, so we're still buried under mountains, there's just a layer of glacier from the rain underneath.

We almost didn't make it up our hill to home after church Christmas eve. fresh snow on top of ice and no plows out and about. first gear and 5 mph and we came very close to having to hike it.

however, I'm very thankful that storm surges are no big deal here, we're not flooding, and we're built for serious weather so wind damage is rare. hang in there folks.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
I think I know which area you mean, Balaam. Good luck tomorrow. Maybe a brick in each pocket, just until the weather settles?

Yes, That's the place. It wasn't as bad as forecast, but still strong enough or the council to close the roads. Fortunately the city was quiet so the alternative routes did not get too busy.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016