homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fear of the Holy Spirit (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fear of the Holy Spirit
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There seem to be two main schools of thought concerning the Holy Spirit, one that he/she arrives in a memorable way on the faith journey and subsequently lives within us as a burning flame, guiding us and enlivening our faith; the other that it is like a deep pool of peace and light that is within everyone and accessed in the stillness of meditation or contemplative prayer.

It seems to me by observation that some people who might be happy to accept the latter seem not only to fail to accept the former but to be afraid of talking about it. Someone recently said to me 'Why talk about the Holy Spirit, why not simply talk about God?'

Is there a fear of the lively Holy Spirit, do you think? If so, why is that?

Do you subscribe to one or the other description of the Holy Spirit, to neither or to both

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whenever presented with a choice of ways of viewing God I generally plump for "both", because God really can't be pigeon holed.

So, both.

I think some people at the quiet end of the spectrum are afraid because who knows how a lively Holy Spirit might impinge on your comfort zones? Meanwhile at the other end there is fear in the fired up brigade that if they admit the existence of the quiet, meditative end then they'll somehow lose their faith or end up not loving God.

But then, some people just naturally are at one end of the spectrum or the other, and they know that others aren't, and are happy to leave it that way.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
There seem to be two main schools of thought concerning the Holy Spirit,

Do you subscribe to one or the other description of the Holy Spirit, to neither or to both

I don't recognise either of the positions you describe.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nor I

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First of all, he's a he (not an it, sorry). A very personal person, if that makes any sense.

I cannot point to any one memorable experience when he first showed up--I suspect you might be referring to the whole "Spirit baptism" controversy. On the contrary, I was probably a believer, by the Spirit's work, for a year or two before I really realized it. I certainly can't date my conversion, nor can I point to a particular "now I've got him, before I didn't" experience.

Yet I am aware of his presence, which is (usually) a comfort to me. He has my back. He strengthens, comforts, and at times rebukes me (!) when I need it. On a few occasions he has spoken or acted through me IMHO--this is never or rarely for my benefit, but always for the sake of someone we are caring for in the mission. In once case I recall he informed me and my husband simultaneously that we needed to get over to X's house immediately. (we discovered X had been mugged and was in danger of losing an eye--took him to hospital) In another case, he sent me to comfort a dying man, though we didn't know he was that close to the end. I was the last to see him. In a couple other cases he used me, much to my embarrassment, to confront certain leaders who needed it--though I'm not at all the instrument I would have picked for the job. [Hot and Hormonal]

But on ordinary days, he's just there, quiet, doing whatever he's doing without any great fanfare. But it's nice to have him there.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first seems an unconventional way of describing how the charismatic church views the Holy Spirit. The latter is quite unfamiliar.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for your thoughts and experiences.

For those who don't recognise these descriptions of the Holy Spirit, it surprises me. How would you describe the Holy Spirit?

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
First of all, he's a he (not an it, sorry). A very personal person, if that makes any sense.

Personal? Sure. "He?" Hmmm. I've heard some people link or liken the Holy Spirit to a spiritual lineage with Sophia, or Shekinah, from the Judaic tradition. Both are feminine.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Holy Spirit suffers (if that's the right word) from an inadequately described personality. God the Father and God the Son have their own stories, and they interact with humankind in an anthropomorphic way. God the Spirit, meanwhile, is treated mostly as a 'force', a 'power'. There's no narrative to help us personalise the Holy Spirit. We're not encouraged to address the Spirit to the same extent we are with the Father and the Son.

All this being the case, it's hardly surprising that many of us instinctively refer to the Spirit as an 'it' rather than as a 'he/she'.

* Porridge has made an interesting point regarding the femaleness of the Spirit. But to what extent is this kind of personalisation present in Christianity now? That's something for the scholars - it's not part of popular spirituality as I know it.

[ 11. April 2014, 18:00: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find the discussion interesting. I would suggest we lack a pronoun. He is less apt than she and both are more apt than it. It is more like both and all, and we lack the conceptual frame to understand. I suspect that there is also a lot of projection of ourselves into the description.

I always find it interesting to hear of comfort, or confrontation from the holy spirit. Mostly, my experience is of absence or if any presence at all, more like a little mouse or even less powerful, like a housefly. If bothers to come around at all. But then I may be too concrete and undiscerning to detect she/he/it. I certainly don't get the fear.

But my main reaction is: jeez! light up a burning bush already! strike me deaf dumb and blind! smite me now!! but do something! For God's sake!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lamb Chop, I beg to differ with your identification of the Holy Spirit as a he. The Hebrew word for the Spirit of God is actually feminine. You get a glimpse of that from Genesis 1:2 which says the Spirit of God brooded over the waters. Some translations will say hovered or moved, but the actual Hebrew word is much like a chick brooding over her eggs.

Now the New Testament word for Holy Spirit is gender neutral. Yet there is some imagery of the Spirit being masculine and other New Testament imagery of the Spirit being feminine.

Ultimately, though, God is not a sexual being. God is neither male nor female.

I would agree, though, to refer to the Holy Spirit as "it" denigrates the Spirit as a person.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

* Porridge has made an interesting point regarding the femaleness of the Spirit. But to what extent is this kind of personalisation present in Christianity now? That's something for the scholars - it's not part of popular spirituality as I know it.

St Maximilian Kolbe described the Immaculata as a quasi-incarnation of the Holy Spirit and in Catholic liturgy many of the descriptive passages of Wisdom which are personalised as feminine are applied to Mary. In some sense then devotion to our Lady reflects an intuition that the Holy Spirit when He acts through her does so in a characteristically feminine fashion.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am quite surprised that so many responses indicate that the poster hadn't heard of this spectrum of belief.

Clearly, there are charismatics and/or Pentecostals who have a very "active" view of the Holy Spirit, and there are those who do everything very quietly, and find the active forms of response are distracting and annoying.

I fall in the category of simply realising that I had a solid faith in the Unknowable, that I have never had an "a-ha!" moment when the Spirit landed on/enlightened me, and that I wouldn't know what to do if such an event occurred. I do tend to mistrust people who throw everything out there for everyone, because so many are doing that in the need of proving to themselves that they have the currently-desirable form of belief, one that involves a lot of talking/shouting/movement.

Just as I mistrust extreme piety when that leads to condemning others for not wanting to be involved in full liturgies several times a day.

IOW, I have been exposed to the more extreme ends of the spectrum, and I would prefer to deal with a via media (both/and).

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:

IOW, I have been exposed to the more extreme ends of the spectrum, and I would prefer to deal with a via media (both/and).

Indeed. My most recent blog was on the subject of contemplative prayer and I wrote-

There is no real conflict between the notion of an activist 'muscular Christianity' and that of a contemplative one. Some individual are drawn more towards one path than another yet it is always the case that we only drink at the fountain of His grace in order to give us the strength to do that which we must do, and we can only know what that doing is to be if we have drunk at that fountain. The body of Christ is always in balance, although often enough that balance gives the appearance of tension. It is however not the tenseness of a conflict, a Pope Benedict versus a Pope Francis, it is the tension of a creative process forever giving birth to Jesus in the world and in the hearts of believers.

I think the same principle applies to the presence or absence of what might be termed an outwardly manifested and inwardly urgent charisma as against a calm but firm serenity divinely inspired.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Ultimately, though, God is not a sexual being. God is neither male nor female.

I beg to differ. If we are created in the image of God, God is obviously sexual. I would say God is both male and female and the spirit particularly is both, though also neither, and neither and both at once. The ferreting out of gender and in particular sexuality is, in my view, one of the unfortunate aspects of the antiseptic faith of our modern centuries. Can't sex be a spiritual activity? Holy spirit present during?

[ 11. April 2014, 21:05: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
If we are created in the image of God, God is obviously sexual. I would say God is both male and female and the spirit particularly is both, though also neither, and neither and both at once.

This is problematic. God doesn't have a body or any biological existence. Therefore, God can't have biological sex. So it's not clear what it would mean to attribute sex to God.
If you go with the distinction between sex and gender you can claim that God has both genders. But even that is problematic, since it seems to essentialise our cultural constructions of gender. Presumably also those people who identify as neither male-gendered nor female-gendered also find their gender identity in God: this quickly gets complicated if they're all supposed to be actually in God.
You can I think argue that erotic desire is one bodily mode in which the creature imitates the love of God.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bible tells us that the Son glorifies the Father, and the Spirit glorifies the Son. My hope is that, when we get to Heaven, we'll find that the Father glorifies the Spirit, in an endless outpouring of love. A bit like the water here.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
If we are created in the image of God, God is obviously sexual. I would say God is both male and female and the spirit particularly is both, though also neither, and neither and both at once.

This is problematic. God doesn't have a body or any biological existence. Therefore, God can't have biological sex. So it's not clear what it would mean to attribute sex to God.
If you go with the distinction between sex and gender you can claim that God has both genders. But even that is problematic, since it seems to essentialise our cultural constructions of gender. Presumably also those people who identify as neither male-gendered nor female-gendered also find their gender identity in God: this quickly gets complicated if they're all supposed to be actually in God.
You can I think argue that erotic desire is one bodily mode in which the creature imitates the love of God.

I didn't say biological sex as in God has sexual relations. But we are created in God's image, thus, God contains sex. And gender. But you are correct that God is gendered and non-gendered. What do you need God to be? That's where God meets us (or is supposed to).

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
no profit

When the Bible says we are made in God's image it means before the fall we had some characteristics like God. Theologians fall into three different levels when they try to explain the image of God. Irenaus argued we had the image of God in that we were able to exercise free will and had reason. . Karl Barth and Emil Brunner argue that it is our ability to establish and maintain complex and intricate relationships that make us like God. Gerhard von Rad, J. Maxwell Miller, C. A. Cline and others would argue that we are in the image of God in that we were the visible corporeal representative of the invisible, bodiless God; we were representative rather than representation.

However this was lost at the time of the fall. But it was restored through Christ who is the visible God. (Colossians 1:15) The writer of Colossians goes so far as to say God through Christ restores that image to all believers (Col 3:10)

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Upon entering an RC church, I always cross myself and pray The Father, The Son and the Holy Ghost. I believe that the third member of the Holy Trinity is active in my life!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Lamb Chop, I beg to differ with your identification of the Holy Spirit as a he. ...
Now the New Testament word for Holy Spirit is gender neutral.

I'm well aware of the Greek and Hebrew genders. Hebrew ruach is feminine while Greek pneuma is neuter. Nevertheless, if you look at the pronouns Jesus uses to refer to the Spirit in John 15-16, you will find he uses the masculine. You might argue that this is simply to stay in agreement with parakletos, but 16:13 is quite distant from that noun, and pneuma tes aletheias (πνεῦμα τῆς ἀληθείας) is what we would expect to govern the pronoun, being right in that very sentence. Yet Jesus uses the masculine. Nowhere can I find him using the neuter--in fact, after looking the text over, I begin to suspect a concerted effort to avoid getting into a position where the conflict would become seriously in-your-face.*

I am making no claims at all for what that might mean, except to say that I prefer to follow suit.

* Yes, yes, I know someone is going to pop up and tell me Jesus was speaking Aramaic, and therefore we should credit the writer (John, or whoever you prefer) with the grammatical arrangements. My reply would drag us into Dead Horse territory, so instead of doing that, I'll just note that my understanding of Scripture is that the Greek is inspired, and even the grammar is of significance.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Lamb Chop, while you are concentrating on John 14-16, you over look Luke 3:22 and the other synoptics which describe the Holy Spirit descending on Jesus in the body form of a dove. The Greek word for dove is περιστέρι, which is feminine, I believe.

You correctly noted that the Hebrew word of the Spirit of God is ruach. We agree it is a feminine word. The Aramaic word for [Holy] Spirit is rucha, which is also feminine. As noted, Jesus spoke Aramaic, meaning he would have used the feminine word for the Holy Spirit.

Paraclete is masculine, true, but some of the definitions of the word almost have a feminine image as well: it can be translated as comforter or helper.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Lamb Chop, I beg to differ with your identification of the Holy Spirit as a he. ...
Now the New Testament word for Holy Spirit is gender neutral.

I'm well aware of the Greek and Hebrew genders. Hebrew ruach is feminine while Greek pneuma is neuter. Nevertheless, if you look at the pronouns Jesus uses to refer to the Spirit in John 15-16, you will find he uses the masculine. You might argue that this is simply to stay in agreement with parakletos, but 16:13 is quite distant from that noun, and pneuma tes aletheias (πνεῦμα τῆς ἀληθείας) is what we would expect to govern the pronoun, being right in that very sentence. Yet Jesus uses the masculine. Nowhere can I find him using the neuter--in fact, after looking the text over, I begin to suspect a concerted effort to avoid getting into a position where the conflict would become seriously in-your-face.*

I am making no claims at all for what that might mean, except to say that I prefer to follow suit.

* Yes, yes, I know someone is going to pop up and tell me Jesus was speaking Aramaic, and therefore we should credit the writer (John, or whoever you prefer) with the grammatical arrangements. My reply would drag us into Dead Horse territory, so instead of doing that, I'll just note that my understanding of Scripture is that the Greek is inspired, and even the grammar is of significance.

If even the grammar is significant, I've got to agree with the others then, and refer you back to Gen. 1:27. If all three persons of the Trinity are exclusively male (as I assume you believe), why does Gen. 1:27 explicitly tell you that male and female are created in the image? Whatever the imago Dei might be (and there are at least 5 major theories) the one thing that it simply can not be is exclusively male, as the text explicitly eliminates that option. And obviously a mere image cannot encompass something not already present in the original.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

*heavy sigh*

You folks did see where I said I wasn't drawing any additional conclusions, right?

Okay, if I must...

I have never denied the presence of both masculine and feminine (note: NOT male and female) characteristics in God. In fact, I could bore everybody for hours on the subject, with loads of proof texts (but I won't, at least here). And the imago dei is reflected in people, that is, in both male and female, plural, the two of them together, in union. Women are not a secondary and nonessential gender. Men alone do not completely reflect the whole glory of God.

All I'm considering here is the choice of a pronoun.

I don't believe we can safely draw conclusions from pronouns that correctly follow the grammatical gender of a noun. In other words, if ruach is feminine and its corresponding pronoun or verb (or pronoun-like suffix) is also feminine, that tells you zip. The speaker might mean to identify the Spirit as feminine, or the speaker might simply be following ordinary grammatical construction. Without asking, you can't tell.

Grammatical gender is not necessarily the same as natural gender, as anyone who's been annoyed by being called "das Mädchen" in German class can tell (das Mädchen is neuter, though it means "the girl"). So even though Hebrew ruach is feminine, that tells us nothing about the Holy Spirit's ... I was about to write "gender," but then the absurdity of this whole issue struck me. Whatever. You know what I mean.

The one time grammar CAN tell us something is when the speaker defies the expected grammatical construction and introduces an unexpected pronoun or gendered verb form. Which is why I cited John 16:13. I would expect a neuter form there, given the nearest noun referring to the Spirit. But we don't get a neuter form. We get a masculine. I'm assuming for good reason, though I can't mind-read Jesus (or John) and tell you why.

Look, I'm not one of those people who gets their panties in a twist because someone points out feminine characteristics in God. My attitude to those discussions is rather "Yeah, so what?" I mean, duh. Of course God is feminine as well as masculine. It's all over the Scriptures.

But I do feel uncomfortable, in my own practice, with playing around with pronouns by calling the Spirit "she" or "it." "It" implies a lack of personality, which is totally wrong. "She" doesn't bother me nearly as much, except it often smells a bit like a political statement--rather like a "fuck you" to more traditional speakers--a dare to them to make something of it, wanna fight? And that gets tedious, as well as distracting from whatever the main point really is.

And that's what we're doing here, isn't it? Being tedious. This thread had a really cool wide focus on the Holy Spirit's person and works. But this tangent is shrinking it to a tired old argument about what to call him/her. Meh. I'd like to get back to less trampled discussion areas.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There seem to be two main schools of thought concerning the Holy Spirit, one that he/she arrives in a memorable way on the faith journey and subsequently lives within us as a burning flame, guiding us and enlivening our faith; the other that it is like a deep pool of peace and light that is within everyone and accessed in the stillness of meditation or contemplative prayer.

It seems to me by observation that some people who might be happy to accept the latter seem not only to fail to accept the former but to be afraid of talking about it. Someone recently said to me 'Why talk about the Holy Spirit, why not simply talk about God?'

No, I think it's fear of behaving like a plonker and attributing it to a work of the Spirit.

I have prayed in tongues for years. I find it easier to pray in this way because I don't have to think of words yet I'm still praying. I can't do meditation etc as I'm 100% distractible.

But I would never do it in public due to the reaction I imagine I'd get from others - and the fact that I have no idea if it's from the Spirit or simply me having found a way to pray that works for me (a much more likely explanation imo).

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lamb Chopped - surely the imago dei is represented by all people regardless of gender, and not just males and females? Or do those outside the gender binary not count? That includes, by the way, those intersex people who are biologically neither male nor female, eg have XXY chromosones.

Also, 'they' is perfectly acceptable as a gender-neutral pronoun and people use it to refer to people who are not gender-neutral all the time.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Or do those outside the gender binary not count? That includes, by the way, those intersex people who are biologically neither male nor female, eg have XXY chromosones.

Also, 'they' is perfectly acceptable as a gender-neutral pronoun and people use it to refer to people who are not gender-neutral all the time.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

How about trying to understand what Lamb Chopped **really** wants to say, instead of getting all worked up once again with this sanctimonious gender-correctness twaddle?

I agree with LC in this:

quote:
I do feel uncomfortable, in my own practice, with playing around with pronouns by calling the Spirit "she" or "it." "It" implies a lack of personality, which is totally wrong. "She" doesn't bother me nearly as much, except it often smells a bit like a political statement--rather like a "fuck you" to more traditional speakers--a dare to them to make something of it, wanna fight? And that gets tedious, as well as distracting from whatever the main point really is.

And that's what we're doing here, isn't it? Being tedious. This thread had a really cool wide focus on the Holy Spirit's person and works. But this tangent is shrinking it to a tired old argument about what to call him/her. Meh. I'd like to get back to less trampled discussion areas.

Indeed.

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I do feel uncomfortable, in my own practice, with playing around with pronouns by calling the Spirit "she" or "it." "It" implies a lack of personality, which is totally wrong.

What is the Holy Spirit's personality?
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Lamb Chop, while you are concentrating on John 14-16, you over look Luke 3:22 and the other synoptics which describe the Holy Spirit descending on Jesus in the body form of a dove. The Greek word for dove is περιστέρι, which is feminine, I believe.

You correctly noted that the Hebrew word of the Spirit of God is ruach. We agree it is a feminine word. The Aramaic word for [Holy] Spirit is rucha, which is also feminine. As noted, Jesus spoke Aramaic, meaning he would have used the feminine word for the Holy Spirit.

Paraclete is masculine, true, but some of the definitions of the word almost have a feminine image as well: it can be translated as comforter or helper.

Greek for "young man" is neaneas (which is feminine). What do you conclude from that - that all Greek blokes before a certain age were bi-sexual? Sorry mate - basing the gender of things on the use of grammar just leads you into complete absurdity.
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyway - back to the o/p/. "Burning flame" works for me. A flame can burn brightly or quietly, warms (comforts) or consumes (burns up the dross). The Spirit presents himself if different ways because we are made as complex beings able to relate to God in many, varied, and creative ways. I reckon the o/p strikes the right tone by speaking about the Spirit experientially. Experiencing the Spirit is like a flame, a pool, or tangible in other ways (like a physical dove - although I don't know of anyone apart from Christ who says they experienced the Spirit like that). Kathryn Kuhlman used to talk about the Holy Spirit as her best friend.

I've always engaged better with the Spirit as a person, although I'm comfortable using metaphors with people who find these more intuitive.

[ 12. April 2014, 11:32: Message edited by: Truman White ]

Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

I do feel uncomfortable, in my own practice, with playing around with pronouns by calling the Spirit "she" or "it." "It" implies a lack of personality, which is totally wrong.

What is the Holy Spirit's personality?
God's personality (since he's God). And he has a sensitive side since you can grieve him

[ 12. April 2014, 11:36: Message edited by: Truman White ]

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I can't do meditation etc as I'm 100% distractible.

[TOTAL TANGENT - PLEASE DO NOT REPLY]That is the point of meditation, a discipline for those easily distracted.[TANGENT END]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For those who don't recognise these descriptions of the Holy Spirit, it surprises me. How would you describe the Holy Spirit?

The problem with both of your descriptions to me is the inherent drama (different kinds of drama in both cases, but still). I wouldn't deny the activity of the Holy Spirit in either mode, of course, but they are both in their way extraordinary. Whereas I would describe the ordinary activity of the Holy Spirit more like an "in place" change of the mind, where everything pretty much remains at it was, but the orientation shifts. For example, we constantly track all we think, say or do against a framework of worldly and bodily concerns, but now there is an additional concern, one that might even become dominant. Now God is also on our mind, not in the foreground, but as a constant backdrop. This goes from the "trivial", like planning in Church attendance (as one would a shopping trip), to the "sophisticated", like feeling spiritual receptiveness in another and following it up (as one would do in romance with a prospective lover). Likewise, we are always moved about by impulses "bubbling up" into our consciousness. Whether it is the needs of the body (food, sex, ...) or more cognitive intuitions (this feels good/bad, perhaps I need to do this, ...). Again, to these impulses the Holy Spirit adds spiritual ones, which can become dominant. For example, a sudden need for a short prayer, or a realisation that one has to work on some spiritual aspect of one's life. In summary, it's the same sort of being and living that one always has had, but the aboutness thereof is being modified. God is moving into the picture, but not as a new "object" to be painted into it, but rather because the paint itself is now containing a certain percentage of God. Whereas the more extraordinary interactions with the Holy Spirit that you describe are a more direct interaction. One could see them as a kind of focus: in the case of "burning flame" intensifying the God aspect in one's mind until it is very dominant, in the case of "contemplation " stripping away the non-God aspects of one's mind until almost only the God aspect is left. I think such focus is good, and indeed to a degree an "inspiration tool", but I don't think that this as such can be maintained in the everyday. One can focus, but one also has to let go. I guess ideally after every focus the everyday one relaxes into is a little bit more permeated by the Holy Spirit, so that over time one saturates into holiness. But I think aiming for a "never-ending Holy Spirit focus" is just a recipe for spiritual failure. Or perhaps I'm just to spiritually weak to pull that off...

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
I reckon the o/p strikes the right tone by speaking about the Spirit experientially. Experiencing the Spirit is like a flame, a pool, or tangible in other ways (like a physical dove - although I don't know of anyone apart from Christ who says they experienced the Spirit like that).

I used to keep doves and I did feel very close to God when among them. The same goes for other animals and/or natural beauty. In fact many people say they feel closer to God out on the hills than in Church.

The unconditional love of a dog may be cupboard love but it does feel very like God's love a lot of the time - not bound up with complications like human love is!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I didn't say biological sex as in God has sexual relations. But we are created in God's image, thus, God contains sex. And gender. But you are correct that God is gendered and non-gendered. What do you need God to be? That's where God meets us (or is supposed to).

Not biological sex as in sexual relations; biological sex as in genitalia, hormones, secondary physical sexual characteristics. Whatever it means to say we are in God's image it does not mean God has a body like we do. And if God doesn't have a body, then it's difficult to attribute to God anything that depends upon having a body. e.g. genitalia and hormones. And once you've ruled out genitalia and hormones and everything else that depends upon a body it's hard to see what you could mean by attributing sex to God. It would be like saying God contains blonde and brown and black and red hair: the only way that can be made meaningful is by stereotyping people.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

God does wrath rather well in the OT.

Sexuality is not just about anatomy. That is merely the equipment of its material expression. For God to identify us as male and female says something about God. In the metaphorical Eden story we were male and female from the start. God being both and neither.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
The problem with both of your descriptions to me is the inherent drama (different kinds of drama in both cases, but still). I wouldn't deny the activity of the Holy Spirit in either mode, of course, but they are both in their way extraordinary. Whereas I would describe the ordinary activity of the Holy Spirit more like an "in place" change of the mind, where everything pretty much remains at it was, but the orientation shifts. For example, we constantly track all we think, say or do against a framework of worldly and bodily concerns, but now there is an additional concern, one that might even become dominant. Now God is also on our mind, not in the foreground, but as a constant backdrop. This goes from the "trivial", like planning in Church attendance (as one would a shopping trip), to the "sophisticated", like feeling spiritual receptiveness in another and following it up (as one would do in romance with a prospective lover). Likewise, we are always moved about by impulses "bubbling up" into our consciousness. Whether it is the needs of the body (food, sex, ...) or more cognitive intuitions (this feels good/bad, perhaps I need to do this, ...). Again, to these impulses the Holy Spirit adds spiritual ones, which can become dominant. For example, a sudden need for a short prayer, or a realisation that one has to work on some spiritual aspect of one's life. In summary, it's the same sort of being and living that one always has had, but the aboutness thereof is being modified. God is moving into the picture, but not as a new "object" to be painted into it, but rather because the paint itself is now containing a certain percentage of God. Whereas the more extraordinary interactions with the Holy Spirit that you describe are a more direct interaction. One could see them as a kind of focus: in the case of "burning flame" intensifying the God aspect in one's mind until it is very dominant, in the case of "contemplation " stripping away the non-God aspects of one's mind until almost only the God aspect is left. I think such focus is good, and indeed to a degree an "inspiration tool", but I don't think that this as such can be maintained in the everyday. One can focus, but one also has to let go. I guess ideally after every focus the everyday one relaxes into is a little bit more permeated by the Holy Spirit, so that over time one saturates into holiness. But I think aiming for a "never-ending Holy Spirit focus" is just a recipe for spiritual failure. Or perhaps I'm just to spiritually weak to pull that off...

I agree that the active flicker of the Holy Spirit will influence our everyday thoughts and actions if we listen to and embrace it. In fact, its intimacy in relationship may be closer than sex.

Is this the case for all people, regardless of having ever known the burning fire or the deep pool? Regardless of baptism / confirmation/ acceptance of Christ, etc?

I can see that our determination to focus our minds on God and to strip away the non-God aspects of them may help to increase receptivity of experience of God, but I do not see them as efforts to intensify the flame or to increase the peace, as if we might control the power of God accordingly. There are no guarantees.

The Holy Spirit surely gives us experience of God by God's will, not by ours.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joel 2:28 in Acts 2:17 - I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Taking the first paragraph alone, both your descriptions are relatively jejune, neither contradictory nor complete but placed in an arbitrary opposition with each other.

Your second paragraph seems to posit the first position as correct, and the second one as somewhat more timourous.

I can find both positions, either and none, in a wide spectrum of churches from the more openly charismatic to the less so.

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the HS like the wind ? Jesus likens those 'born of the Spirit' to the blowing of the wind .
Then you've got the rushing of the wind moments before the Disciples receive the Holy Spirit in the form of tongues of fire.

Personally I'd describe the HS feeling as the commonly derided 'izzey whizzy feeling'.
As to whether the Holy Spirit is present during sex ? I can't for the life of me see any reason why not . Just as there's no doubt in my mind that the HS is present on battlefields where soldiers die in agony.
Who can really say where the Holy Spirit is or isn't present . Maybe it is continually present , sometimes we tune in, most times we're turned off .

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Daughter:
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Or do those outside the gender binary not count? That includes, by the way, those intersex people who are biologically neither male nor female, eg have XXY chromosones.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

How about trying to understand what Lamb Chopped **really** wants to say, instead of getting all worked up once again with this sanctimonious gender-correctness twaddle?

I agree with LC in this:

quote:
I do feel uncomfortable, in my own practice, with playing around with pronouns by calling the Spirit "she" or "it." "It" implies a lack of personality, which is totally wrong. "She" doesn't bother me nearly as much, except it often smells a bit like a political statement--rather like a "fuck you" to more traditional speakers--a dare to them to make something of it, wanna fight? And that gets tedious, as well as distracting from whatever the main point really is.

Indeed.

Well, intersex refers to sex, not gender, so I don't see how it's being about 'gender-correctness', although naturally gender-variant people are included in those outside the gender-boundary. As for sanctimonious, I don't see how it's sanctimonious to want to include those who are neither male nor female in the Church - unless of course you feel they should be shut out from the Body and never mentioned?

I am well aware of what LC is talking about - I was just clarifying that God reflecting the whole of gender does not just equal God reflecting male and female. I disagree with LC, but I understand perfectly well what they mean.

FWIW I always think of the Holy Spirit in gender-neutral terms, even though I think of the other two Persons of the Trinity as male. Nothing to do with 'gender-correctness', just how I have always thought of them. I'm not sure why exactly, I think because I (habitually, not correctly!) think of the Spirit as a 'force' - not in the sense of not being part of the Trinity, but not like a person with a body and face. Old paintings of God the Father have meant that I think of Him as well as God the Son as humanoid men, usually white [Hot and Hormonal] Not defending it as correct, just cultural habit I think. Strangely, when reading The Shack, thinking of the Spirit as a humanoid woman was much weirder to me than thinking of the Father like that.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
quote:

Greek for "young man" is neaneas (which is feminine). What do you conclude from that - that all Greek blokes before a certain age were bi-sexual? Sorry mate - basing the gender of things on the use of grammar just leads you into complete absurdity.
Bisexual means being attracted to more than one gender, not being outside the gender binary and/or intersex (gender-variancy and being intersex can and often do intersect, but it's not automatic - a person can have intersex biological sex and female gender for example, especially if they have surgery on secondary sex characteristics and/or are brought up as female). Bisexual certainly doesn't mean a female young man!

--------------------

agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The dove descending breaks the air
With flame of incandescent terror"

T.S.Eiot in Little Gidding, is one response to the OP.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
Taking the first paragraph alone, both your descriptions are relatively jejune, neither contradictory nor complete but placed in an arbitrary opposition with each other.

Your second paragraph seems to posit the first position as correct, and the second one as somewhat more timourous.

I can find both positions, either and none, in a wide spectrum of churches from the more openly charismatic to the less so.

The second paragraph doesn't posit the first position as correct or incorrect. It makes the personal observation that some people who lean more toward the second position seem timorous toward the first. I haven't noticed it happening the other way around in the same sense. I have heard some deny that this can be the same Holy Spirit.

I too have found both positions, either and none, in various churches. It seems rare to find a church which treats them as equally valid, however.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
no profit

When the Bible says we are made in God's image it means before the fall we had some characteristics like God. Theologians fall into three different levels when they try to explain the image of God. Irenaus argued we had the image of God in that we were able to exercise free will and had reason. . Karl Barth and Emil Brunner argue that it is our ability to establish and maintain complex and intricate relationships that make us like God. Gerhard von Rad, J. Maxwell Miller, C. A. Cline and others would argue that we are in the image of God in that we were the visible corporeal representative of the invisible, bodiless God; we were representative rather than representation.

However this was lost at the time of the fall. But it was restored through Christ who is the visible God. (Colossians 1:15) The writer of Colossians goes so far as to say God through Christ restores that image to all believers (Col 3:10)

Gramps, this is an interesting overview of what it means to be in the image of God. The first two I am familiar with (as well as other variations on the theme, such as having the capacity for sacrificial love, or creativity); the third is new to me, and I'm pretty sure I don't understand it.

However, I'm puzzled by your assertion that, "this was lost at the time of the fall". Just going by the first two explanations you put forward, this suggests that humans no longer have free will or reason, or the ability to maintain complex relationships. Isn't it safer to say that sin has marred God's image in us, rather than that the image has been completely destroyed?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Is the HS like the wind ? Jesus likens those 'born of the Spirit' to the blowing of the wind .
Then you've got the rushing of the wind moments before the Disciples receive the Holy Spirit in the form of tongues of fire.

Personally I'd describe the HS feeling as the commonly derided 'izzey whizzy feeling'.
As to whether the Holy Spirit is present during sex ? I can't for the life of me see any reason why not . Just as there's no doubt in my mind that the HS is present on battlefields where soldiers die in agony.
Who can really say where the Holy Spirit is or isn't present . Maybe it is continually present , sometimes we tune in, most times we're turned off .

Yes, I like the wind analogy. I too think that God's presence is everywhere. But can we 'tap into' the Holy Spirit as we wish, as if a kind of force rather than a person? Where does God's will come into this?

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think God the Father is remote and distant, God the Son is too human and comfortable (I'm speaking emotionally you understand) but the Holy Spirit is both close enough and mysterious enough to be scary.

And rightly so.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Robert

Unlike most people who would argue that humans still have free will, Luther and Calvin would have argued that free will was lost at the time of the fall.

Luther argued that unredeemed human beings are dominated by Satan; Satan, as the prince of the mortal world, never lets go of what he considers his own unless he is overpowered by a stronger power, i.e. God. When God redeems a person, he redeems the entire person, including the will, which then is liberated to serve God. No-one can achieve salvation or redemption through their own choices—people do not choose between good or evil, because they are naturally dominated by evil, and salvation is simply the product of God unilaterally changing a person's heart and turning them to good ends.

Calvin argued that, as a consequence of the Fall of Man, every person born into the world is enslaved to the service of sin and, apart from the efficacious or prevenient grace of God, is utterly unable to choose to follow God, refrain from evil, or accept the gift of salvation as it is offered.

No, I would not say sin has simply marred God's image in us, I would say sin has obliterated God's image in us. It can only be restored though the gracious action of God and God only.

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, I like the wind analogy. I too think that God's presence is everywhere. But can we 'tap into' the Holy Spirit as we wish, as if a kind of force rather than a person? Where does God's will come into this?

Coming to Christ as an adult has allowed me to experience the Holy Spirit as a force . Reading a little on other spiritual practices has confirmed this .
Some talk of tapping into the power of the "Universe" . Others, re. Buddhism , make parallels between the Kingdom of Heaven and Nivarana .

Tapping into the Spirit has a lot to do with the casting off of pre-conceived thinking and ideas ,(which could include some things we'd rather not cast off). It's a practice , and certainly not one I've mastered so far.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

quote:

No, I would not say sin has simply marred God's image in us, I would say sin has obliterated God's image in us. It can only be restored though the gracious action of God and God only.

I don't think this is entirely correct - even in Luther and Calvin's scheme (which I largely subscribe to) - largely due to incompleteness.

I don't think 'total depravity' means that we are as bad as we could be, rather than if sin was blue, we would be blue all over.

Now I don't think you would necessarily disagree - but describing it the way you do makes it difficult to fit in common grace.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016