homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Do people want to watch Colbert play himself?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Do people want to watch Colbert play himself?
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steven Colbert is leaving The Colbert Report to take David Letterman's place on The Late Show, and he will no longer be the character we know and love and instead will be himself. I'm sure he's wonderful and funny in real life - but almost all his current fans are fans because of his Colbert Report character, and aren't likely to watch a normal late night talk show anyway. I'm sad to see the fake Colbert go [Frown] .
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's a very intelligent, highly talented young man. I'm sure his real persona will be just as fascinating to watch as his "Colbert" persona is.

I can't imagine that his natural mannerisms would be completely free of the put-on ones.

I'm not a watcher of late night television as a rule (Miss Amanda needs her beauty sleep), but I'll definitely stay up to watch him when the changeover occurs.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We shall DVR it: Z loves Colber' Repor' but we rarely watch it: I guess his guests must be rubbish: I hope they'll be better in the new situation.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My household was split between Leno and Letterman until Kimmel moved up a half hour, which allowed us to finally settle on Kimmel (on the rare occasions that we stayed up that late). But my wife has a longstanding crush on Jimmy Fallon, so as soon as he took over the Tonight show, we were split again. So long story short, I think in our household, if we happen to stay up that late, Colbert will come in a distant third, through no fault of his own.

Conventional wisdom is that creating viral content is the name of the late night game these days. Kimmel got his start in radio, and his most successful bits have the feel of a well played radio prank. Fallon's schtick is allowing celebrities to be in on a silly skit, which works well. I'd say that Colbert's success may ride on his ability to find a signature style for skits that are likely to be shared online the next day. And I might not rely on his ability to conduct an interview- Seth Myers is the acknowledged best interviewer in the game these days, and when was the last time you saw one of his interviews go viral?

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd rather see Leno driving fast cars and the odd motorbike with a helicopter engine than telling jokes! But then, I'm a gearhead! Watch my sig: my book about a man and his cars will be copy-edited this summer and nearly ready for publication!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's all up in the air, but I'm hopeful that Colbert will be able to expand his peformance without the limitation of having to stay in the one character. It's a brilliant character and he's done a lot with it, but he has a lot of interests that don't play well with the character.

If you Google Colbert out of character you'll find a lot of clips. His interview on NPR with Terry Gross about performing in Company, his eulogy for his mother and moderating a Neil deGrasse Tyson lecture.

There are risks, he may become a talking head behind a desk, he may turn out to actually be a conservative. I'm hopeful. I can't think of any other performer who is complex enough to merit the discussion of guessing what he will do.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still miss his "This Week in God" segment on the Daily Show.

I'll miss Letterman. His Top Ten List is such a part of the culture now. It was strange watching him transition from being pretty avant-garde on his 12:30 NBC show to being an older comedian with a huge theater and an 11:30 slot on CBS, but he's done really well, I think.

I don't know what to think of Colbert taking over. I know he's gotten some flack lately for his "Report" character, but as I don't have cable, I haven't seen a whole lot of that show.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

W e don't watch it either, though we could...

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get the format of late night talk shows. The best part to me is the opening monologue. Then it all goes downhill with stupid interviews with celebrities I'm not interested in, interspersed with bits of shtick which try too hard to be funny and mostly fail.

Maybe Colbert will bring a fresh idea to the same-old same-old. I'll try to watch at least his first couple of shows, and I could imagine becoming a regular for his monologue and then turning it off.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
He's a very intelligent, highly talented young man.

He turns fifty in less than a month's time...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
He turns fifty in less than a month's time...

Sweetie, that's young in Miss Amanda's book. [Frown]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I miss the old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson: top-flight topical monologues, skits with recurring characters and beautiful blondes, entertaining guests who seemed to be close personal friends of the host, special events like Tiny Tim's wedding and great music by Mr. Severinsen and his band. Ed McMahon was not the worst sidekick he could have had, but Conan O'Brien's colleague Andy was funnier and more entertaining.

--------------------

Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything that upsets Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh is just fine with me.

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
We shall DVR it: Z loves Colber' Repor' but we rarely watch it: I guess his guests must be rubbish: I hope they'll be better in the new situation.

I suspect that they will be far worse on the new show though higher profile since its an entrenched part of the Hollyweird PR machinery. That being said, I also suspect that he will continue to make room for scientists (yay!) and continue to indulge musicians way too much (boo!). A daily hour is quite a bit more time to fill.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mertseger:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:

I suspect that they will be far worse on the new show though higher profile since its an entrenched part of the Hollyweird PR machinery. That being said, I also suspect that he will continue to make room for scientists (yay!) and continue to indulge musicians way too much (boo!). A daily hour is quite a bit more time to fill.
Colbert guests have been far from rubbish. Though I suspect The Late Show will employ a less discriminating criteria.

The genius of Stephen Colbert is his quick wit, his ability to react to a guest. And, on the Report, he had to to this in a voice other than his own. He had to process guest's comments and deliver a response interpreted through his character's personality. Instantly.
And he would typically do it in such a manner as to have his guest's POV be underlined.

I think Stephen Colbert will do fine.

[ 17. April 2014, 02:08: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect he'll be the best late-night host since Dick Cavett. I might even start watching late-night TV again. The Colbert Report persona was bound to get old (for me it already had). It was a potential strait jacket, and I'm sure he jumped at the chance to get out of it.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would be fun. I loved Dick Cavett, and have missed him ever since his show ended.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
I don't get the format of late night talk shows. The best part to me is the opening monologue. Then it all goes downhill with stupid interviews with celebrities I'm not interested in, interspersed with bits of shtick which try too hard to be funny and mostly fail.

This is exactly what we were concluding would happen when we discussed it at work over lunch; that he'll be talking to ditzy celebrities, and doing so out of his interesting character at that.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016