homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Are you a humanist quiz

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Are you a humanist quiz
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the British humanist society "Many people are humanists without even knowing it."

Perhaps you had better check and find out... [Paranoid]

Quiz here

I came out at 46% humanist, so nearly half way down the slippery slope...

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came out as only 23% Humanist

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came out 70% humanist: "You may be an agnostic or a humanist or vaguely religious."

Considering that I answered that there was definitely a God and God created the universe, the conclusion that I may be agnostic strikes me as being a rather strange evaluation of the data...

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hedgehog - I got 66% Humanist after responding with a few "follow God" answers. I went through the whole thing thinking how loaded it was.

How can you answer the creation question? The one I wanted to use had - "as the scientists say", but without the rider that "no God was involved".

The quiz setters are assuming that you cannot be a Christian and believe in evolution or science.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree. The questions were badly slanted to get the results that, presumably, they wanted--that "you just might be a humanist."

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
How can you answer the creation question? The one I wanted to use had - "as the scientists say", but without the rider that "no God was involved".

The quiz setters are assuming that you cannot be a Christian and believe in evolution or science.

It is an absurd quiz and a demonstration that the quiz setters do not understand science, religion or humanism, let alone the relationships between them.

To quote Karl Barth: "there is no humanism without the gospel."

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Terrible, terrible quiz! The scores, like my 53%, are quite meaningless.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But it does rather confirm my opinion of the British Humanist Society...

As was said above "a demonstration that the quiz setters do not understand science, religion or humanism, let alone the relationships between them."

[Biased]

[ 18. July 2014, 06:09: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTM that three of each four answers are 'humanist' options to varying extents, while the fourth is the 'Christian' alternative and that is often far from a liberal Christian view.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
*Please note, this is just a bit of fun designed to spread awareness of Humanism. It’s not clinical.
Saddoes.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
80% humanist
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
80% humanist - like every other time I've done a similar quiz.

The working of the questions is often silly and misrepresents Christianity.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Humanists try to think, and to think for themselves."

As do I, but I am not a humanist. So many of the humanist principles are mistaken.

I did come out 60%. I am a thinking Christian, a category that they seem to dismiss.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Humanist 90%
Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got told I was 53% humanist with the need to obey others in higher positions than me. I'm also more of a follower than a leader and don't like to think for myself. WTF? Oh, because I said that we need to respect all life as it comes from God? I agree with others. This quiz is slanted.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got 60% humanist ("perhaps a bit dependent on authority or other people or pure emotion.") Several of the questions were really unanswerable (not to mention philosophically illiterate). These people have obviously never heard of Christian humanism...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
It is an absurd quiz

This is true.
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:

To quote Karl Barth: "there is no humanism without the gospel."

This is no less loaded than the quiz.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is confusing. Do they mean secular humanist? The first use of the term was by and about Christians; the "no God" meaning is several hundred years younger. Tell these jerks to give us our word back.

The "It's best to be honest because" question was the first where I absolutely could not in good conscience pick any of the answers. They were all wrong in some way; the right answer is "because it's the right thing to do" which wasn't an option. In fact all four answers pissed me off. Being honest for any of those reasons is bad. They are unworthy motivations.

From there it went kind of downhill.

That said, I'm 53% humanist.

But clearly by humanist they mean "New Atheist" because they congratulate themselves on being able to think for themselves, unlike those deluded religious people. The self-congratulatoriness is choking. They might as well be fundamentalist Christians.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
93%, probably 'cause my subjective-objective centrifuge separated out evidence and belief.
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
20% here, but then I am a devout Roman Catholic convert, as was the late Cardinal Newman....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I'd give a good lille old Evangelical answer. So I tackled this quiz biblically. With a good Calvinist bias to progressive revalation, (the later the passage was written the more authoritave.) The Calvinist Biblical progressive revalation is...

quote:
Your answers are fairly neutral, perhaps a bit dependent on authority or other people or pure emotion. Humanists try to think, and to think for themselves. You may be an agnostic or a humanist or vaguely religious.
Whoever set this quiz had no idea of what Christians believe.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
26%. I think I'm a sort of theo-incarnatus-eratist. Also known as boringly orthodox Christian

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well on this quiz I'm 90% humanist. On a similar one I imagine set by Christians I would probably be 90% Zahidi. As a matter of interest my computer is 100% Christian and won't allow me to type *hristian without a capital letter. If I came out as h********* it would probably explode...

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016