Thread: Sighs of Autumn Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=027605

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

A comment was put by Nenya about the autumn nip in the air starting about mid June and it made me aware that * watch for the signs of autumn as much as * do for the spring. So * thought as we have had Spring ones in the past that an Autumn thread might work.

Normally it is when the virginia creeper leaves start to be tinged with red on my way to work. However, this year it was finding a conker in my path in Mid August!

So what is the first sign you see and which do you look for?

J***ie

[ 18. September 2014, 08:15: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Blackberries, the disappearance of swifts, swallows and house martins.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

The sudden appearance of naked ladies.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

It was dead wasps for me.

Posted by Pearl B4 Swine (# 11451) on :

Yellow Jackets - all of them angry and wanting to chase and sting you - worst in late August/September. Picnics and State Fair food vendors are their favorite places.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Blackberries, plums being ready to pick, and the bales of straw in the fields. The skirl of brown fallen leaves started about a month ago, probably because of the hot weather and lack of rain. The sunrise becoming visibly later is another sign as well - it's approaching 6 am now and won't be long before I find myself leaving for work in the halflight before dawn.

Posted by Chocoholic (# 4655) on :

Conkers!

Posted by BessHiggs (# 15176) on :

Duck Blind Drawing day. The first Saturday in August officially kicks off the start of fall, for me, even though it's usually 90+ degrees that day. That's when preparation for fall and winter hunting kick into high gear and conversation turns to decoy spreads, cammo patterns, tree stands, duck blinds, coon dogs and who's going to cook at the annual dove hunt.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Choosing a Christmas cantata for the choirs.

The choirs have been on summer break. A lot of folks here fly away to cooler climes, as most people don't enjoy August in Florida.

This morning, I did see some dead elm and olive leaves on the driveway.

Surely there will be an end to the blazing hot weather someday!

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Needing a jumper during the day.

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

That moment in the year when you are too cold at night with your summer duvet, but you can guarantee that if you put the winter one on the bed there will be a heatwave the next day...

Posted by Nenya (# 16427) on :

Morning dew on the cobwebs in the hedges. Ripe apples on the trees, heralding the arrival of bagfuls of them at work - someone I work with has four trees so gets a glut at this time of year and brings them in for us all to take home. The first leaves turning yellow. The advertising of the forthcoming autumn TV schedule and the prospect of something decent to watch at last. [Biased]

It's that late-summer season, when everything's looking a bit heavy and tired. The sun may still be hot, but the verges are dusty, the wayside flowers have dried into seed heads and the leaves are still green but no longer fresh.

Nen - not a great fan of autumn.

I am often in awe of the gorgeous colours of autumn, absolutely incredible.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

The lightweight duvet is back on the bed.
I once read a qoute that Summer begins in the evening and Autumn begins in the morning. It felt quite Autumny a few mornings this last week, and there was a heavy dew on the car this morning.
By the way, can anyone help me to identify that qoute?

Posted by Rosa Winkel (# 11424) on :

I was told the other day that in Poland many say that one can't go swimming outside after the festival of the Assumption of Mary.

A clear sign is this: It's heading towards the time to dig the potatoes up, and therefore I will, next week, replace them with white mustard, thus preparing the soil for next year.

Posted by Kyzyl (# 374) on :

Local apples, the harvest run on the corn crop, and especially where I am, the start of the massive bird migration along the Mississippi flyway.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Here in Phoenix, where it doesn't begin to cool off until after Columbus Day (October), we can at least be thankful that as summer wanes the white-winged doves no longer make their obnoxious mating and territorial calls, although they continue to do their duty all over the sidewalks.

[ 16. August 2014, 23:12: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

Mine isn't a natural phenomenon; as I mentioned in AS, the Cathedral Crypt tea room finished its summer run yesterday, and that's one of the local "end of summer" markers.

JJ, you're not alone in choosing your Christmas music in August: D. used to take his carol books when we went on holiday and have the carol service more-or-less sorted by the time we got back.

Posted by daisydaisy (# 12167) on :

At this time of year my outdoors-in-the-summer cat starts to sleep indoors at night, and even snuggles up to me in the early morning.

Posted by Ethne Alba (# 5804) on :

Conkers, plums, second flush of blackberries...and the realisation that I've started wearing woollen tights and thick polo neck jumpers.....

Posted by Pine Marten (# 11068) on :

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

JJ, you're not alone in choosing your Christmas music in August: D. used to take his carol books when we went on holiday and have the carol service more-or-less sorted by the time we got back.

No indeed - our organist has been telling our singing group what he is planning for Advent through to Epiphany [Smile] , and as he is away on holiday next week he needs to get it sorted!

I love autumn. The main sign for me is that I cease being a grumpy old bag because of the heat, and start being civilised again. I like the lengthening shadows, mellow autumnal warmth (not searing summer heat), cooler nights when I don't need an electric fan and I can sleep better. Ah, lovely! ...and it'll soon be Advent [Razz] .

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

When the high-school kids with summer jobs start talking about wanting to be in school...

and the parents of elementary-school kids do the same

and the school-supply lists appear.

quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
I love autumn ... I cease being a grumpy old bag because of the heat ... I don't need an electric fan ... and it'll soon be Advent.

Yea and amen to all of that! [Smile] I don't even mind the nights drawing in, as it's all part of the Way Things Are.

Having grown up in Orkney, people ask me if I didn't hate the short daylight in winter, and are surprised when I say no. The long summer days make up for it, and you get used to it - I don't ever remember not being able to sleep in the summer because it was too light, or feeling depressed in the winter because it wasn't light enough.

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

quote:
quote:

No indeed - our organist has been telling our singing group what he is planning for Advent through to Epiphany [Smile] , and as he is away on holiday next week he needs to get it sorted!

My wife did a soprano solo at her church this morning: the choir is still out! There is no autumn here, only the summer holidays and the school term.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

The changes in urban southern California aren't very dramatic, so I always notice the change in the light in the fall, the way it's always coming in at an angle instead of feeling like it's beating down from straight overhead for a good part of the day.

[ 18. August 2014, 03:36: Message edited by: RuthW ]

quote:
quote:

No indeed - our organist has been telling our singing group what he is planning for Advent through to Epiphany [Smile] ......
Last Sunday the organist played the Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah - there is of course no reason why this can't be played on a hot August day, but it did feel strange. This organist likes a bit of fun when he covers for the regular one.

[tangent ON]
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Last Sunday the organist played the Hallelujah Chorus ...

D. played that at the end of a funeral once: the deceased (a gentleman in his late 80s) had been very active in the local Choral Union and sundry other choirs until well into his old age, and loved Handel's Messiah. A good chunk of the congregation was made up of singers and musicians and we all thought that, although a rather odd choice for a funeral, it was absolutely right for him; we had visions of him sitting in the Heavenly Choir, passing round the Polo mints and asking what page we were on.

In the sol-fa edition ... [Eek!]

[/tangent OFF]

Are any other Brits thinking autumn has come earlier this year? I'm sure the temperature has fallen earlier than it usually does.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Yes! Why do you think I started this thread. I picked up my first two conkers yesterday. I do not normally do that until September.

Jengie

[ 18. August 2014, 21:22: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

On a more shallow note, A/W makeup collections being released. Givenchy's and MAC's Brooke Shields launch look amazing.

Posted by Jante (# 9163) on :

And the blackberries seem to have ripened much earlier this year- I'd normally think of picking them towards the middle of September, but they are rip alread

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

Blackberries have been ripe early. I'm about to have a few for breakfast. The few apples have dropped.
The grapevine is starting to have grapes that are not completely sour. The Cherry tomatoes are ripe and the few big tomatoes start their race to ripen before frost.

But the big sign of fall here is rainy season. We had a real rainstorm last week, complete with thunder and lightning. Soon the six months of drizzle will start....

I'm sure I heard frost mentioned on the weather forecast this evening [Ultra confused]

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

The leaves are showing signs. Even as this week thus far has been +25°C. Tomorrow the high is suggested to reach 14°. We prefer snow to hold off until September. Though summer is really only 3 or 4 months of bad skiing.

Posted by Hugal (# 2734) on :

Dark when I get up at 5am.

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

I've had my first charity Christmas card catalogue.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

Dear God no. I live in that Other Hemisphere™ and we sure as hell ain't through winter yet - you can keep yer bloody autumn [Help]

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

Autumn has come absurdly early here. Last night I walked home wearing a feather-filled puffa jacket. I was still cold.

Posted by Nenya (# 16427) on :

I think I heard them say on the radio this morning, while I was still half asleep, that it had been the coldest August night for 20 years in some parts of the UK.

Nen - thinking socks and jackets.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

It appears we will set a record for the coldest August since records began to be kept.

I'm not complaining.

Moo

I'm not complaining either.

'Since records began' is pretty meaningless though - since 2003? 1920? 1750? the Little Ice Age? Medieval Warm Period??

Posted by Jante (# 9163) on :

Fighting hard not to give up bare legs and sandals but if it gets any colder will have to [Frown]

My sign of autumn is that I am back at grammar school and much in demand as a supply teacher.

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

Blackberries, our Virginia creeper starting to turn, plus being so feckin' cold that we can't have breakfast in the garden. Pretty much the story of the last 10 days. No dew-covered spiders' webs yet though.

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

Blackberries for me too, and our plums are ripe for picking.
Today was the first day I really noticed it was cooler outside. I'm packing for Greenbelt at the mo and might have to pack some woolly tights and jumpers.

quote:
Originally posted by Jante:

Fighting hard not to give up bare legs and sandals ...

I hope it's still bare-legs-and-sandals weather in early September, as I'm coming over on holiday and I have absolutely no intention of bringing any socks or tights with me. [Big Grin]

Mind you, I'm very warm-blooded - as long as the temperatures are above about 5°C I can dispense with socks.
quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
Dark when I get up at 5am.

Don't get up so early then. [Devil]

night-owl piglet

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Still wearing sandals, but also tights and a sweatshirt! Hoping for a week of warmer weather first week of September on the Isle of Wight.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
'Since records began' is pretty meaningless though - since 2003? 1920? 1750? the Little Ice Age? Medieval Warm Period??

I said "It appears that we will set a record...". I was referring to local conditions and local record-keeping. AFAIK official Weather Service record-keeping started here around 1950.

Moo

Sorry, Moo, I was thinking more of the excitable weather and news presenters who breathlessly announce things like 'it's been the warmest/coldest XX since records began in 1920!!' Which doesn't mean much over the course of centuries or indeed millennia [Smile] .

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
I've had my first charity Christmas card catalogue.

I saw brochures for the Christmas dinner programme in the Grand Hotel, Jersey, on July 24.

Posted by Earwig (# 12057) on :

My personal calendar tells me Autumn is starting when I need to switch my SAD lamp on, and I start craving buttered bagels.

Weather forecasters telling us to 'wrap up warm if you're going out today' or 'take frost-sensitive plants indoors tonight', like they're my bloody grandmother or something.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

If we want a sign of Autumn, or indeed the depths of December, than have an August Bank Holiday . Never fails [Yipee]

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

I do believe the light looked a little different today. Hoping for coolness somewhere soon. The water at the beach is 92. No refreshment there.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

Unpacking the Doc Martins...

The Chinese supermarket is stocking big, shiny tins of moon cakes.

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

As Ruth mentioned, in warmer climates (I'm in north Florida), it's more subtle. It's the change in the light for me, and a slight change to the air. It's not exactly cooler, but slightly drier. Autumn has a definite smell, even early on.

This weekend, with Monday being Labour Day and a holiday is the traditional end of summer for us. Leaves changing, the garden will be coming out, blow out underground sprinklers. Go to lake and get the dock out. There's a bit of saying goodbye to summer, but hello soon I hope to some snow. Love winter I do.

The beginning of the end of summer here seems to me to be when the windy weather gets a name ... [Eek!]

Today's offering is courtesy of Cristobal

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

I keep treading on crab apples on the pavement; quite a lot of people have them in their front garden. I suppose I should pick them up and make jelly. No.

Posted by Cameron PM (# 18142) on :

I fell asleep with the window open and woke up three quarters petrified. From 25 to 5 overnight.

Posted by Meg the Red (# 11838) on :

I have to switch my bike lights on when I ride to work.

It was sufficiently cold this morning that we had to play tennis in jackets and gloves.

Pumpkin recipes are showing up in my favourite baking blogs.

Mm yes, the appearance of the first pumpkins on sale.

Also the appearance of rather a lot of spiders, especially in wing mirrors. I keep clearing the webs away, but my car's beginning to look as if it belongs to Miss Havisham.

I've been told they don't like peppermint. I must get some oil and make up a solution and see if spraying it about the place will deliver me from the usual unsettling autumnal morning encounters.

I was told they don’t like conkers, but I’m not keen on draping a necklace of large glossy nuts around the wing mirrors just to frighten spiders. It might result in just swopping the spiders for, as it might be, squirrels.

Went to my local bird-reserve today, and the autumn migrants are beginning to pour through - marsh harrier, snipe, yellow wagtail, green sandpiper; also flocks of small birds are beginning to assemble for foraging.

Remember the birders' prayer: please bring bad weather and gales, so we can have lots of rare birds from the US, Siberia, and all compass points!

Sharp nip in the air first thing this morning although low 20s now. Unlike Ariel, my car does not yet look like it belongs to Count Dracula, but I am sure that this too will come to pass in the next few weeks.

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

Winter Bike Jacket Feels Good and Protective rather than unbearably stuffy and hot. Yes I am a two jacket biker.

I noticed yesterday that the shield-bugs in the garden are now a nice shade of bronze, darker than their summer bright green. I think they will hibernate soon, so just a little time, to see these brilliant little critters.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Sharp nip in the air first thing this morning although low 20s now. Unlike Ariel, my car does not yet look like it belongs to Count Dracula, but I am sure that this too will come to pass in the next few weeks.

It was Miss Havisham actually. Though if your car starts to look like Dracula's, perhaps a wreath of garlic, strategically draped from wing mirror to wing mirror via the bonnet, may help to dissuade those cloaked nocturnal visitors.

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

My hands got chilly when I was out running this morning, so when I got in the shower afterwards the water that was pleasantly warm on the rest of me felt stinging hot. About 10C / 50F this morning, although the forecast calls for 35C / 95F later this week.

Posted by sharkshooter (# 1589) on :

Christmas stuff at Costco. Except, that was in August this year.

2 of those big spiders that tend to come out around autumn ran across the floor last night, one over my foot, eeeeek!

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
2 of those big spiders that tend to come out around autumn ran across the floor last night, one over my foot, eeeeek!

They were just having a drill for the bug-eating squads, never fear.

Frost forecast this week. Leaves solidly turning. Seeing my breath at 6:00 a.m. when pretending to run with the dog.

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

L.A. has been flirting with triple digit temperatures all week, autumn feels far off, the cooler nights would be a welcome relief. Autumn for me is marked of course with a new school year-- dusting off my briefcase, loading up my lecture, polishing up my powerpoints. Getting a new backpack and a couple of new uniform shirts for the boys...

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

The children are back in school, the pool is open only on the week-ends, pumpkins are starting to appear at the store, and only the ill informed are wearing white. [Smile]

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

Starting to see kingfishers regularly along the Thames as the youngsters spread out and the adults think about heading for the sea. Halcyon days!

AG

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:

They were just having a drill for the bug-eating squads, never fear.
Actually it's because it's mating season - they're males desperate to mate, otherwise they die! It's why they appear in places like the bath, that they'd never normally go to. The little feelers at the front get covered in sperm and wiggled about to attract lady spiders.

Cellar spiders (the thin spindly ones that shake in their webs) eat house spiders by the way, so keep them around.

Definitely noticing the nights drawing in. Boo!

Hmmm, do I need to build a cellar?

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

My neighbour gathering the last of his apples to make cider - which he and I leave to a year before drinking.

Jolly fine stuff.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

smoking fish, wood smoke, the smell of ripe cranberries.

and walking in the morning to find iced over puddles and jumping in them with great gusto. CRACK!

Birds twittering their autumn song - I have no idea what they are.

Mostly robins, one of the few birds that sing in winter, territorial little buggers. But their song becomes more melancholy in winter, if you like that kind of thing, which I do.

A feature I notice especially because I am spending more time sitting on a verandah in the Po Valley than I normally do - the number of small, bitey buggers about. And yes, I am positively drenched in repellant.

quote:
Hmmm, do I need to build a cellar?

We have them in my bedroom and our downstairs loo, so no!

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

We've had 2 whole weeks without rain . This isn't normally a sign of Autumn west of Dartmoor , very pleasant nevertheless.

We do have browned and shrivelled beech leaves starting to appear on the grass . These are the first to give up not having really turned . Dark at 8.00 pm too, so no escaping the fact that a most agreeable summer, though hanging on nicely, is now slipping away.

I do love the autumn colours. Planning a trip to Wisley gardens in a few weeks when they should be really stunning.

On the spider front, I was alerted to one in my room the other day as the cats were trying to get it it in the corner of my room. I did manage to get it into a glass and outside before it became a 'toy'.

Is massive flooding in areas of under-developed storm drains in new areas of the county a sign?

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

A sign of Republican short-sighted stupidity. It never ceases to amaze me that with all the wealth concentrated in certain suburbs of our beloved city, they can't see fit to spend the money on a really efficient drainage system. Or that people who build expensive homes on the bottom of dry lake beds get so upset when the lakes become un-dry.

© Ship of Fools 2016