homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Identifiable popular "English" folk culture (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Identifiable popular "English" folk culture
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over on the various Scottish independence (or not) threads, there've been a few comments around England being the only part of the UK not to have a surviving popular folk culture - the inference being that there's a bit of morris dancing, and that's about it.

I wondered to what extent that's true, not least because I instinctively see in a lot of it either a) an English willingness to do themselves down through ignorance of their own background, or b) an easy but no less inaccurate stick with which other residents of the UK like to beat the English?

I suppose there are a couple of angles to this - first, is it true? Does England in fact have no folk culture of its own that survives beyond morris?

Is it in fact that our folk culture is the mainstream from which the fringes, for want of a better term, differ: ie watching competitive team sport, boxing day football, etc? So, we do have a folk culture, but it is now the template for "normal" and thus not recognised as "folk."

Or is it just that England is so big that it doesn't have one folk culture that covers the nation, so much as a host of regional ones that are really important if you're in the locality? Sort of small pipes being big in Northumberland but not in Devon?

Certainly from my experience there's a lot going on under the surface, without ever needing to have a national festival to join it all up:

Lewes bonfire
Shrovetide football in Ashbourne
Abbotts Bromley Horn Dance
Ottery St Mary tar barrels
The whole of Dartmoor folklore
Black Shuck in Norfolk, etc

And then the obvious morris (which itself is more a midland thing anyway), Britannia coconutters, etc.

Of course, aside from the purely local things, which get huge support locally, it's difficult to claim that these are "popular" with everyone from Dover to Berwick. At the same time though, they are English. At the same time, things like the Green Man, which was a presence from pagan times right through to the 18th century (hence so many pubs with the name) fell away with industrialisation.

So England, vibrant folk culture based on locality and knowing where to look, or cut off from it's roots irreperably at and by the industrial revolution? Or something in between? And more or less so than its bordering neighbours? And does it matter? And should it?

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a difference between identity and folk culture.

There are, as you said, localised folk tales, songs and superstitions.

I wonder whether the attitude of the English is different because the government and capital city is based there. Perhaps it has been easier for English people to see themselves as British first, which is why any English identity is weak. They've embraced the Scottish, Welsh and Irish folk cultures as their own, while the individual countries have held firmly to anything that distinguished them from the others.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The identity if England is in largely Scottish and Irish folk songs, Indian takeaways, fish and chips, 70's Rock and Roll, the NHS and the Armed Forces (plus probably page 3). Maybe add the specifically English vagiaries of the planning regulations.

Can't think of much else that is truly popular culture, as opposed to being practiced by about a dozen people somewhere near a county boundary.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
There's a difference between identity and folk culture.

Yes.

I actually a problem with the idea of English Folk Culture as a Thing, in that on the one hand folk culture as we understand it was a a fluid, ever changing thing that at some point became immovable and enshrined and on the other folk culture -- that corpus of stories, music, events -- in its origin was very much the preserve of the working/rural labouring classes and is now very much not a working class thing.

quote:

I wonder whether the attitude of the English is different because the government and capital city is based there. Perhaps it has been easier for English people to see themselves as British first, which is why any English identity is weak. They've embraced the Scottish, Welsh and Irish folk cultures as their own, while the individual countries have held firmly to anything that distinguished them from the others.

See, I think that yes, it's because England is the ruling nation; but I think it's that Wales and Scotland and Northern Ireland have held on to their folk cultures such as they are -- Eisteddfods and stuff like that, things that are not quite as prone to class-based gatekeeping in the way that the English variety is -- exactly because they are not the ruling nation, and all, at some time or another in the past, have had their identities and cultures under some some sort of threat from England.

They exist because they were either explicitly (certainly in the case of Wales) or implicitly told not to.

Meanwhile, England, like other imperial nations, tended not to value its folk culture because its pride came from being the ruling nation. Books and periodicals I have from the late 1800s present "folk" culture as a thing that England didn't need, and presented the Welsh, Irish and Scots people as sometimes literal caricatures (like the cartoon "Paddies" that represent Ireland across the 1877-1881 run of Punch that has pride of place on my bookshelf).

It's interesting because I had almost this exact conversation a few weeks ago with a sweet-natured liberal American guy who bemoaned the fact that (he felt) White America had no real culture of its own worth keeping, while the ethnic minorities had proud traditions and identities. I told him that he was wrong, and that while yeah, his people shouldn't feel guilty for who they were, because they were who they were, and that there was a culture... he just wasn't seeing it. I talked about baseball, and things like that. He didn't buy it. He thought his own culture was dead. I felt pity for him.

I think that there is an English identity and an English culture. I think it is more recent, and is fluid, and is harder to pin down through markers like songs and stories. I think that it does not come from appropriating the cultures of the other home nations, and I think that it does not have a problem of gatekeeperdom.

[ 12. September 2014, 15:07: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always felt there was something very English about Sunday dinners and pastries. Although admittedly I've seen them in Wales too.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by itsarumdo:
The identity if England is in largely Scottish and Irish folk songs.

I don't really buy your whole list, but this in particular isn't true. Who's singing these folk songs? The only time I've gone anywhere near people singing folk songs they've got a repertoire of several hundred (thankyou Cecil Sharp) without having to go anywhere near the borders let alone over them.

One of the things that really annoys me is when people hear a fiddle going on eg Matty Groves and think "oh, Irish music" because the cultural cringe has set in so far when ten to one what they're listening to is English. Same for the broadside ballads.

Even craic's an English word (crack) with the same meaning, borrowed by the Irish as late as 50 years ago and then exported back as something uniquely Irish when in fact it's Northern English

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craic

Is the problem as much misidentification of what they're looking at and hearing because of what they've been told/encouraged to think?

I just genuinely don't get why we're told we haven't got a folk culture, or if we have, it's all stuff that isn't ours or has come in in the last 50 years.

Is that true? Or is it a good line to take to support the argument that we've genuinely got rid of all our own stuff?

I mean

"Indian takeaways, fish and chips, 70's Rock and Roll, the NHS and the Armed Forces"

all go down quite well in Wales and Scotland as well (vote yes to save the NHS/ or earlier in the decade save our Scottish regiments), but for them you appear to be suggesting it's "that and...." whereas for England it's "that only."

Or have I misunderstood?

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
Or have I misunderstood?

Then give us a positive list of English cultural identity. Add a few English songs that most people know, and maybe a national costume.

If you disagree with my list, then show it's incorrect with concrete examples.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that a national culture is just another way of saying "national stereotype".

Fish and Chips, Roast Beef, Morris Dancing and so on are stereotypes just as much as the sausage-eating Germans or the cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

Why do we need such a culture anyway? If there is an English culture it is that of absorbing other cultural influences and making them our own!

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
I think that a national culture is just another way of saying "national stereotype".

Fish and Chips, Roast Beef, Morris Dancing and so on are stereotypes just as much as the sausage-eating Germans or the cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

Why do we need such a culture anyway? If there is an English culture it is that of absorbing other cultural influences and making them our own!

I think all of the things your described are part of a national stereotype, but I am not sure that the culture of English people works quite the way you describe it. I don't think it's about appropriation.

--------------------
Narcissism.

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Then give us a positive list of English cultural identity

well, ok, but what are the terms of debate? Ie, if I come up with clothing or music or food is that going to count because the Scots have got tartan and bagpipes (but not all Scots want to wear the former or play the latter) and haggis, or is that not going to count because people only do something in Cumbria? There's 50 odd million people in England, and 5m in Scotland. Does it have to be truly national to be English cultural identity if more people are doing it than are in Scotland? And is something that the world thinks is Scottish actually Scottish if it's only done in the highlands or the lowlands, or is that regional too?

Anyway, on those fragile terms:

Morris
black dog legends
may queens
maypole dancing
Robin Hood legends and ballads
well dressing
aunt sally
muffins
crumpets
Anglican choral tradition
rapper dancing
english folk music
cricket
small pipes
ploughing matches
fell running

I mean, that's an arguable and disparate list of specifically English cultural things, but I'm not sure what it is you're asking for. Does an English muffin count as much as positive cultural identity as a caber? Or English folk music to Irish folk music? When it comes down to it is there more interest in percentage terms in Ireland in Irish folk music than there is in England in English folk music? If not, why is Irish folk music a cultural signifier and not English folk music?

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
quote:
Or have I misunderstood?

Add a few English songs that most people know, and maybe a national costume.

If you disagree with my list, then show it's incorrect with concrete examples.

sorry, I got distracted...

a few English songs most people know:

what shall we do with the drunken sailor
oranges and lemons
London's burning

national costume - well, arguably. Our clothes. You recognise the welsh and scottish national costumes precisely because most people there are no longer wearing them surely? Because they're wearing what we're wearing. It's just that globalisation has made it the standard (obviously minus things like denim), but trousers with creases down the front and back rather than the sides that are tailored, Oxford shoes and shirts,Barbour jackets, etc ad nauseam are everyday clothes invented in England and worn by the English. The fact that others have also adopted them doesn't mean it isn't what English people wear or wore before others also adopted them.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is it in fact that our folk culture is the mainstream from which the fringes, for want of a better term, differ: ie watching competitive team sport, boxing day football, etc? So, we do have a folk culture, but it is now the template for "normal" and thus not recognised as "folk."

I think that's the point. If I may quote from another post.
quote:
Originally posted by Wood
It's interesting because I had almost this exact conversation a few weeks ago with a sweet-natured liberal American guy who bemoaned the fact that (he felt) White America had no real culture of its own worth keeping, while the ethnic minorities had proud traditions and identities. I told him that he was wrong, and that while yeah, his people shouldn't feel guilty for who they were, because they were who they were, and that there was a culture... he just wasn't seeing it. I talked about baseball, and things like that. He didn't buy it. He thought his own culture was dead. I felt pity for him.

From here, the USA is a very foreign place, in many ways, despite deceptively speaking a dialect of English, more foreign, culturally more alien, than adjoining countries in Europe. So QED.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Should eating Indian food stop counting as part of our national culture because the Scots also do it? If so, since the English started doing it has it ceased to be part of Indian culture?

One part of culture is the flow of things (ideas, activities, attitudes to life, myths etc) passed from one generation to another: the Lamarkian component of our social evolution.

The parts of our culture we may be most proud of are those which others have adopted.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can we add queing and cynicism about politicians to the list?
Some years ago, we had a group of Americans visiting our church. They found "Have I got news for you?" very strange as they seemed to treat politics as something very serious, and certainly couldn't be cynical or sarcastic about it.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some years ago, we had a group of Americans visiting our church. They found "Have I got news for you?" very strange as they seemed to treat politics as something very serious, and certainly couldn't be cynical or sarcastic about it.

I'm assuming these particular Americans never watched Saturday Night Live or Southpark?

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Smockfrocks
Singing in pubs - beer songs, barley songs, cockney songs, whatever
Last night of the Proms
Amdram societies
G&S ditto
Brass bands
Trainspotting
Building model train layouts
Lace making
Tatting
Jam making
Hunting with hounds
Lamping rabbits
Rambling
Birdwatching
Going to the seaside
Holidaying in non-mobile mobile homes
Embroidery
Needlepoint
Tapestry
Baking local recipes
Arguing about the authenticity of whichever niche activity one is involved in.

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

quote:
Originally posted by Wood

From here, the USA is a very foreign place, in many ways, despite deceptively speaking a dialect of English, more foreign, culturally more alien, than adjoining countries in Europe. So QED.
Except the one thing the US has in common with England is a history (albeit a slightly shorter one) of imperialism and of colonisation, and the same sort of contempt for its own old-skool folk traditions.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:

I'm assuming these particular Americans never watched Saturday Night Live or Southpark?
The clue there is that they're visiting a church, I think.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Hoodies were traditional English folk clothing. [Smile]
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
English folk traditions - richest in the world

Carnival - everything from village carnivals to Notting Hill
Fairs and Fayres and Galas
Music - incredible range of English folk music, choral traditions, pop and rock, orchestras and brass band music.
Food - astonishing range of local and regional cuisines - pasties, cheeses, stews, dumplings, cobblers, cream teas, unrivalled puddings, breakfasts, clotted cream, ice creams, bacons, hams and sausages, chicken tikka masala.
Dance - Morris and maypoles to ballroom.
Rural - competition of livestock, vegetable growing, jams and preserves, tug of war, ploughing competitions, fox hunting.
Sports including all those we invented such as - oh wait just about every major sport.

The list starts to get boastful at this point because I haven't even touched upon the fact that we are a nation loving hobbies and crafts, literature, drama, art etc.

Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:

Music - incredible range of English folk music, choral traditions, pop and rock, orchestras and brass band music.
Food - astonishing range of local and regional cuisines - pasties, cheeses, stews, dumplings, cobblers, cream teas, unrivalled puddings, breakfasts, clotted cream, ice creams, bacons, hams and sausages, chicken tikka masala.
Rural - competition of livestock, vegetable growing, jams and preserves, tug of war, ploughing competitions, fox hunting.
Sports including all those we invented such as - oh wait just about every major sport.

The list starts to get boastful at this point because I haven't even touched upon the fact that we are a nation loving hobbies and crafts, literature, drama, art etc.

The problem is that few of these things, many of which are wonderful, are really "folk" anymore. There are a lot of middle class pursuits here.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
English things / folk culture - random list
  • The co-op movement
  • Scousers never buy the Sun - Hillsborough is just as much a cultural earthquake as the tollpuddle matyrs
  • The role of tea
  • The whole literary tradition
  • Poll tax riots - the is historically a repeating theme specifically on poll tax but the luddite riots, the Captain Swing riots, the Jarrow marches, all these strike me as part of a heritage of dispute, fighting shy of revolution. The civil war scarred the country so much no one was willing to risk it again.
  • Hundreds of folk songs, John Barleycorn springs to mind, or Tam Lin - but there is a thriving modern folk tradition too, urban protest songs from the likes of Billy Bragg, the music of the Unthanks etc etc
  • Avon ladies & Anne Summers
  • Regional food culture like staffordshire oatcakes, Yorkshire parkin, cumberland sausage
  • Random vestigial historical rights protected with fierce pride, the right to collect fallen wood on this intake, the right to graze your horse on that common, the right to harangue passers-by on hyde park corner
  • Traveller communities
  • Sheffield Steel
  • Noggin the Nog & Bagpuss
  • Ladybird books, Penguin books
  • The CofE in public life
  • Brass bands
  • Rare breed plant and animal rearing
  • Chelsea flower show
  • Pantomime

I could go on, possibly indefinitely.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Folklore as we know it was invented by people collecting and writing down English folk culture, and though Scotland and Ireland were thought to have a richer supernatural lore than England, a quick glance at such early folklore collections as Brand's Antiquities (1777) will discover plenty of folk traditions.

From its inception those studying English folk lore thought it was dying out. But perhaps what is really happening is the replacement of older folk customs by new ones. The artist Jeremy Deller is particularly interesting in contemporary folk customs; so is the photographer Martin Parr. The environmental organisation Common Ground brings politics, environmentalism and art together in a series of projects around English local distinctiveness, folk customs and landscape.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:

The clue there is that they're visiting a church, I think.
Well, yeah, but presumably, Gwladys' English churchgoing friends WERE familiar with the idea of comedians making fun of politicians. So, going by that, I would not say that churchgoing is the indicator for an inability to appreciate satire.

With all due respect to Gwladys, I think he or she might be generalizing a bit from a small sample of people, ie. the tourists at her church. I would think that most Americans, even the ones who hold political discussion in solemn esteem, would still be familiar with things like SNL, the Daily Show, Doonesbury, Bloom County etc, at least enough not to be shocked to hear that people elsewhere in the world make fun of politicians.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Doublethink wrote:

quote:
Avon ladies & Anne Summers

If by "Avon ladies" you mean the cosmetics people, that company is American.

Though possibly Avon flourishes more in the UK than elsewhere, since as a Canadian, I don't think I have ever met an actual Avon Lady.

[ 12. September 2014, 20:43: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup, going strong over here.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:

The problem is that few of these things, many of which are wonderful, are really "folk" anymore. There are a lot of middle class pursuits here.
Not in my corner of the world they're not. I couldn't describe any of them as being especially "middle-class" - they're just part of the calendar of the seasons that people at all levels participate in, with the exception of fox-hunting and morris dancing.
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the refreshing things about Martin Parr's early work is that he saw (rightly, in my view) that folk culture can be middle class too.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did no one else get taught English country dancing at school?

Not that I can remember seeing it since, although Morris and maypole seem similar styles.

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Well, a bit of barn dancing - but not seriously.

--------------------

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Until recently most English people seemed to think 'Britain' ended at the Scottish/Welsh borders. I don't know if that's really changed now.

--------------------
plug plug

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Given this is a thread on English folk culture, how is that relevant ?

--------------------

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Given this is a thread on English folk culture, how is that relevant ?

It was a bit of a tangent, I admit, but English and British culture has always tended to be seen as interchangeable.

--------------------
plug plug

Wood
# 7

Part of the thesis of the op though is that it isn't or at the very least probably shouldn't be.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doublethink - please do!

SHAKESPEARE! Vaughan Williams. Seth Lakeman. Steel Eye Span. Fairport Convention. All the bloody wars. The Forest of Bowland. Far From The Madding Crowd. The Battle Of Britain. Pendle Hill. Sopwith Camels. The Rollrights. Elephant Walk, Queen Victoria's statue, Royal Leamington Spa. Jack The Ripper. One Tree Hill, Kent. Zulu. Down House. Lawrence of Arabia. Kenilworth. Warwick. Elizabeth. Horsell Common. Jack Russells. Glastonbury Tor. Cricket. CRICKET! H. G. Wells. St. Paul's. Tate Britain. Aldous Huxley. Dickens. Orwell. Jayne Eyre. Waterloo Sunset. Spitfires. Over The Hills And Far Away, John Tams. Sparrows. London.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there an English culture as such? Because the folk cultures of Yorkshire, East Anglia and Cornwall seem to me to be as diverse as Scotland, Ireland and the Black Country. In short, there is no single English culture but a mixture of several different cultures that combine to create something that is undefinable, but still English.

Other counties are even more diverse. The culture of Massachusetts and Arizona are vastly different to each other, but still American.

Culture does not have to be uniform.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:

Not that I can remember seeing it since, although Morris and maypole seem similar styles.

I did it every week after junior school in the 70s, not a posh school either, we lived on a council estate. We also did it occasionally in PE.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Is there an English culture as such? Because the folk cultures of Yorkshire, East Anglia and Cornwall seem to me to be as diverse as Scotland, Ireland and the Black Country. In short, there is no single English culture but a mixture of several different cultures that combine to create something that is undefinable, but still English.

Other counties are even more diverse. The culture of Massachusetts and Arizona are vastly different to each other, but still American.

Culture does not have to be uniform.

Any culture will split down into different components, I am not sure why that makes it difficult to claim there is an English culture.

--------------------

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Not in my corner of the world they're not. I couldn't describe any of them as being especially "middle-class" - they're just part of the calendar of the seasons that people at all levels participate in, with the exception of fox-hunting and morris dancing.

I can't say I know any Morris dancers. I do know plenty of hunters - very mixed class wise and mostly working on the land.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I know a morris dancer, he's a nurse - I am not sure what class that makes him under what system.

Under class defined by inherited privilege it would depend on his father's occupation which I don't know, he is paid for his labour which I think technically makes him working class if you are a marxist, he is probably earning about 130% of the national average wage which might make him middle class if you are going on income alone.

Mind you, if you are going on income alone, it is no longer a class system.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First of all it is not the English who get to define what is "English Culture". In the British Isles English culture is the dominant culture and that means it is seen as normative. Minority cultures such as Scots, Irish and Welsh tend to be defined as how they are different from English Culture. "Culture" works by the relationship to "the other". What a culture is dominant those within a culture often do not have access to "the other" and are therefore culturally blind until those with access to "the other" start pointing it out.

So unfortunately the stereotypes by the Americans and such are better guesses at English Culture than are those of most English. The culture is the common sense ways things are done. This talk of culture that relates it to folk events is perhaps an artefact of English Culture, that we associate culture with those things, but it really does not define it.

For instance, I would say having churches keep a register of the weddings that occur in them is very much English culture. The Scots do not, the French do not and I suspect many other nationalities do not.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:

I did it every week after junior school in the 70s, not a posh school either, we lived on a council estate. We also did it occasionally in PE.
And my 13 year old says that he does country dancing in PE sometimes.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zulu, Martyn?

It was a Welsh regiment at Rorke's Drift, the 24th Foot, South Wales Borderers.

Ok, so most of them came from Birmingham ... but John Fielding (Williams) VC is buried in the church yard where my parents married and I was christened ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd agree with Jengie that it's very difficult to identify, from within a culture, what makes that culture distinctive, because for people who live them cultures are just 'what is'. The exception is I suppose where you are consciously a minority or marginalised culture.
Oh, and Zulu is certainly Welsh- the 24th aren't singing Greensleeves when the Zulus attack, are they! AIUI Stanley Baker made the film because he wanted to make a 'Welsh western'.

[ 13. September 2014, 14:20: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
First of all it is not the English who get to define what is "English Culture". In the British Isles English culture is the dominant culture and that means it is seen as normative. Minority cultures such as Scots, Irish and Welsh tend to be defined as how they are different from English Culture. "Culture" works by the relationship to "the other". What a culture is dominant those within a culture often do not have access to "the other" and are therefore culturally blind until those with access to "the other" start pointing it out.

So unfortunately the stereotypes by the Americans and such are better guesses at English Culture than are those of most English. The culture is the common sense ways things are done. This talk of culture that relates it to folk events is perhaps an artefact of English Culture, that we associate culture with those things, but it really does not define it.

For instance, I would say having churches keep a register of the weddings that occur in them is very much English culture. The Scots do not, the French do not and I suspect many other nationalities do not.

Jengie

No that's one view of culture. Not mine. We're talking about folk culture differently, and we have as much right to talk about our local traditions, celebrations, arts, sports etc as anyone else. I wouldn't dream of lecturing the Welsh, Irish or Scottish about their traditions and wouldn't expect them to pretend to have a definitive view of English folk culture. I'd welcome their views and definitions because it is always fascinating to learn about differences and similarities because our borders are very porous and flexible.

To define English folk culture only in relation to Celtic cultures is dismissive.

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
I'd agree with Jengie that it's very difficult to identify, from within a culture, what makes that culture distinctive, because for people who live them cultures are just 'what is'. The exception is I suppose where you are consciously a minority or marginalised culture.
Oh, and Zulu is certainly Welsh- the 24th aren't singing Greensleeves when the Zulus attack, are they! AIUI Stanley Baker made the film because he wanted to make a 'Welsh western'.

I think the point with Zulu that was being made is that the 24th Foot *became* the South Wales Borderers but wasn't at the time. At the time of Rorke's Drift it was basically the 2nd battalion of a regiment recruiting largely from Warwickshire. So it's become this big Welsh myth, but actually in reality the depot had just moved to Brecon, and there were some Welsh soldiers, but Stanley Baker, for his own reasons, was making it up. Most people at Rorke's Drift were English.

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

Source for above:

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/myths/myths.htm

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The two officers, Bromhead and Chard, were ENGLISH as was Hooky. 6 of the 11 VCs were awarded to Englishmen.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chard was, of course, Royal Engineers.

Zulu is a great film, but replete with errors.

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
... For instance, I would say having churches keep a register of the weddings that occur in them is very much English culture. The Scots do not, the French do not and I suspect many other nationalities do not. ...

Is that really true? If it is, it's weird.

I can see that the French might not as church weddings there have no legal effect. But it must be that in every modern country where church weddings are effective, they are recorded and certificates issued.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016