Thread: Advent Processions/Lessons and Carols Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=027922

Posted by NatDogg (# 14347) on :

Hello my esteemed shipmates. I'm looking for a source for an order of service for an Advent procession/Lessons and Carols for use in an Anglican/Episcopal liturgical context. While the US Book of Occasional Services does have the order of the readings, it is silent on the order of the procession (i.e. when to move to the font, quire, etc.). Thanks!

Posted by St. Punk the Pious (# 683) on :

First, sorry that I do not know of such a source.

However, from an old recording from King's College and from attending excellent Advent procession services in Oxford chapels, I do know one method is for the choir to sing an advent prose (I think that is the term) in the ante-chapel (or back of the church) then process into place during the opening hymn.

I may add I know of one or two pieces that are very dramatic when sung from afar. I can look around and find them later if you wish.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

The old Carols for Choirs series, published by the Oxford University Press, contained a suggested order of service in the back of vols 1 and 2. I think that where specific parts of the service are placed in the church are a matter of individual choice - on the altar, from the organ loft, etc.

[ 15. October 2014, 12:37: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

Posted by Fr Weber (# 13472) on :

quote:
Originally posted by St. Punk the Pious:
First, sorry that I do not know of such a source.

However, from an old recording from King's College and from attending excellent Advent procession services in Oxford chapels, I do know one method is for the choir to sing an advent prose (I think that is the term) in the ante-chapel (or back of the church) then process into place during the opening hymn.

The responsory "I look from afar" is often used here, usually set as a contrafactum of a Palestrina Magnificat.

Posted by Knopwood (# 11596) on :

That's the one we use: the other that I've heard (at St Mary Mag in Toronto) is an equally stirring set of Advent Responses by an Alan Wilson (non papa), beginning "Send us, O Lord, your saving power."

I'm away with relatives for an extended Thanksgiving holiday, but when I get home on the weekend I should be able to find the booklet from our service of Lessons & Carols and Benediction, which I believe includes the trajectory of the procession.

Posted by Sacristan&Verger (# 17968) on :

You will find much of what you need in 'The promise of His Glory - Services and prayers for the Season from All Saints to Candlemas'. it contains readings, antiphons and an excellent introduction to Advent liturgy. There are a few copies at AbeBooks http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=13969941179&searchurl=sts%3Dt%26amp%3Btn%3Dthe%2Bpromise%2Bof%2Bhis%2Bglor y

Posted by Cameron PM (# 18142) on :

Might be less of a help than the one above, but here is the Order of Service from King's College: Order of Service.

You should also look at the recordings of the services on the BBC website, even though the strict rubrics aren't there, it is helpful.

Thank you, all! Wonderful suggestions and resources!

Thank you, all! Wonderful suggestions and resources!

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sacristan&Verger:
You will find much of what you need in 'The promise of His Glory - Services and prayers for the Season from All Saints to Candlemas'. it contains readings, antiphons and an excellent introduction to Advent liturgy. There are a few copies at AbeBooks http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=13969941179&searchurl=sts%3Dt%26amp%3Btn%3Dthe%2Bpromise%2Bof%2Bhis%2Bglor y

Or save money and get it online for free in its updated version. (The promise... has been superceded.)

Posted by Arch Anglo Catholic (# 15181) on :

Online you will also find, on the Cofe website, Times and Seasons PDF all sorts of useful bits and pieces, freely available and as mentioned in PDF form.

Much has been derived from The Promise of His Glory, with novel and sometimes helpful additions.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

For the nostalgic, the text of POHG is available on-line here.

But T+S now has all you really need.

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

Thanks Qoholeth - its good to see you back in Eccles, by the way!

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
Thanks Qoholeth - its good to see you back in Eccles, by the way!

Thanks [Smile] . I've always been here, just nothing to say that someone else hasn't said better already.

© Ship of Fools 2016