homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Why does the celebrant need to communicate

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Why does the celebrant need to communicate
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Priests often say 3 masses on a Sunday.

Do they have to communicate at each one?

Why?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. And why not?
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think an Orthodox priest can say multiple masses in a day. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is not the priest a member of the body of Christ? Is she not in communion with the congregation present at that service? It would seem to me to be very strange to not share in Communion with the gathered community of which the priest is a part.

Though, if the Communion includes alcoholic wine and the priest is driving, restraint in taking only the smallest sip of wine may be wise.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To complete the sacrifice. Or so I have heard it said.
Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
I don't think an Orthodox priest can say multiple masses in a day.

Indeed, as far as I'm aware. But then, of course, the rationale behind the western practice of multiple masses or each priest celebrating his own private mass is that 20 low masses Is more efficacious than one high mass, that these things can be quantified. Nonsense, of course.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the C of E the rationale is usually that a priest has to celebrate in more than one parish or that there is an 8am Eucharist left over from the days when the pattern of worship was early morning communion for the old maids, who had doubtless bicycled through the morning mist to get there, followed by Matins as the main act of worship.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The rationale behind binating or even trinating is pastoral necessity to provide sufficient opportunities for the faithful to attend the eucharist.
The days of private masses are over as Ad Orientem should know, unless his only experience of the Catholic Church was in the SPPX, which is hardly mainstream post Vat 2 Catholicism. Since Vat 2, unless there is a pastoral necessity ,priests will normally concelebrate, just as in the Byzantine rite.
The Eucharistic sacrifice is completed in the priest's communion, so the priest should communicate at each celebration over which he presides.
There are differing practices which have grown up over the centuries. If I am right there is only one celebration of the eucharist each day in an Orthodox church. Even on a Sunday the faithful are not required to be present at the whole of the liturgy, which generally lasts a lot longer than a Catholic celebration. The generally shorter Catholic celebrations allow a greater number of participants at the liturgy of Word and Sacrament.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, at first level a cleric only has one spell per day, so he'd be limited to doing one Mass anyway. Once he's levelled up a bit he'd have sufficient slots.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
The Eucharistic sacrifice is completed in the priest's communion

I've heard that before but what does it actually mean?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Is a eucharist invalid if the priest doesn't communicate?

--------------------

american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the story is that transubstantiation may have taken place, but the mass has not yet been completely offered.

Aquinas seems to say:

quote:
If the priest be stricken by death or grave sickness before the consecration of our Lord's body and blood, there is no need for it to be completed by another. But if this happens after the consecration is begun, for instance, when the body has been consecrated and before the consecration of the blood, or even after both have been consecrated, then the celebration of the mass ought to be finished by someone else.
De Defectibus of Trent, 33, extends this:

quote:
33. If before the Consecration the priest becomes seriously ill, or faints, or dies, the Mass is discontinued. If this happens after the consecration of the Body only and before the consecration of the Blood, or after both have been consecrated, the Mass is to be completed by another priest from the place where the first priest stopped, and in case of necessity even by a priest who is not fasting. If the first priest has not died but has become ill and is still able to receive Communion, and there is no other consecrated host at hand, the priest who is completing the Mass should divide the host, give one part to the sick priest and consume the other part himself. If the priest has died after half-saying the formula for the consecration of the Body, then there is no Consecration and no need for another priest to complete the Mass. If, on the other hand, the priest has died after half- saying the formula for the consecration of the Blood, then another priest is to complete the Mass, repeating the whole formula over the same chalice from the words Simili modo, postquam cenatum est; or he may say the whole formula over another chalice which has been prepared, and consume the first priest's host and the Blood consecrated by himself, and then the chalice which was left half-consecrated.
It would be odd if "consume" were the rule in this case but not in the ordinary one.
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There used to be a view that one should not communicate more than once a day. Therefore I have known priests celebrate with communicating if they had done so earlier; no one seemed to think there was anything wrong or odd about this at all.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes people talk about the Sacrfice of the Mass .
After the liturgy of the Word the people offer bread and wine. This is taken by the priest who speaks the words of consecration,in Jesus'name over the bread and wine.The Body and Blood of Christ are then offered to God the Father,just as Jesus did, in another way, on the cross.
The priest has done this both for and on behalf of the people.For and on behalf of the people the 'sacrifice' is completed by the reception of Communion by the celebrant.
Since Vatican 2 perhaps less stress has been put on the 'showing forth of the death of the Lord' and the passing on of the graces of the sacrificial death of Christ. More stress is laid now on the commemoration of the Last Supper and the sharing in the bread and wine/Body and Blood of Christ.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Is a eucharist invalid if the priest doesn't communicate?

I don't think that can be the case. There are some clergy who communicate themselves after rather than before everyone else. It would be a nonsense if at the time when the ordinary people communicate, they could not know whether the eucharist was going to be valid or invalid because of whether something else did or did not happen after they had received.

There is a second reason. There is nothing in scripture that remotely pertains to this. So if there are rulings on the subject, that is a matter for church discipline and practice.

Therefore, if you are CofE this is covered by the 1662 BCP, Common Worship, the canons etc. I suspect there's nothing in any of those that answers the question, otherwise Leo would not have asked it, and somebody would have answered it already. If you are RC, whether that is answered or not is covered by what I think is called the GIRM, and American Piskie's citation from the Council of Trent. However, if one is CofE, those no more apply to one than the rubrics of the 1662 BCP have ever applied to Catholics.

My own preference, for what it's worth, would be that the celebrant should always communicate. If that means he or she has to do so more than once on the same day, that spiritual indigestion is a sacrifice he or she has to bear in the service of a laity in a church with not enough clergy to go round.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

There is nothing in scripture that remotely pertains to this.

Well, the only theological reason I have read did quote scripture: "Take, eat ...". The reasoning then runs "The Lord addressed these words to the Apostles, whose successors (or their deputies) are the ones standing at the altar".

(disclaimer: I am not terribly convinced by the rules and written reasons. I realise though what a sheltered life I've led: it had never crossed my mind that in normal circumstances the president would not eat and drink.)

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ritual Notes goes on at some length and in delightful detail about the procedures for modifying the ablutions when the priest must bi- or trinate (since the unconsecrated wine traditionally used counted as "food"!). Retro that I am, I wouldn't be inclined to think of any eating or drinking connected to the Eucharistic ceremonies as breaking the fast.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my diocese the practice of the priest-presider communicating last has crept in. It's a sort of "look at me and how humble I am" practice, so far as I can see.

But I would never want not to communicate. having celebrated the great saving acts of God in human history it would be just a wee tad strange to say "yeah, but not for me thanks."

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
False humility is exactly what it is.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Indeed it is.

It is also self-aggrandizement.

It is the LORD'S table, not the priest's. So the priest is not a gracious host, attending to his guests first.

He is as much a guest as the rest of us.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Yes. And why not?

The priest I am thinking about gave two reasons for two occasions:

1) I communicated at the 8 o' clock

2) I forgot.

--------------------

Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is my considered opinion that the celebrant/presider should receive first, before they go on to communicate the congregation. A celebrant not receiving when presiding is unknown to me.

However, I have been a confused communicant at an informal celebration when the paten and chalice were passed from one communicant to the next. In supposing that the celebrant had received first when that was not the case, I did not know what to do as to whether or not to address the celebrant by the formula, "The Body (or Blood) of Christ", after I had received and it fell to me to hand the element back to the celebrant, standing at the end of the row.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Indeed it is.

It is the LORD'S table, not the priest's. So the priest is not a gracious host, attending to his guests first.

Amen.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The priest I am thinking about gave two reasons for two occasions:

1) I communicated at the 8 o' clock

2) I forgot.

As a person who is not as young as he used to be, I find the second of those excuses the better one.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

2) I forgot.

I know a Methodist who gave up on the presider receiving last thing for precisely this reason: she would sometimes forget to receive. I'll admit there are a few things I've occasionally forgotten during Mass. The dialogue before the Gospel is one, the double alleluia at the dismissal during the Octave is another. But I fail to see how I could ever forget to receive: I'm holding the consecrated species in my hands and I've just said "but only say the word and my soul shall be healed." If it's in my hands, it's going in my mouth at that point.

[duplicate post deleted... djo!]

[ 05. November 2014, 22:28: Message edited by: dj_ordinaire ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the rubrics (general notes) of Common Worship:
'The president must say the Eucharistic Prayer, break the consecrated bread and receive the sacrament on every occasion.'

So there is no argument, for C of E Anglicans, about what we should do. The reasons why have been addressed above; despite the mechanical and sometimes unhelpful language about 'completing the sacrifice', there is a truth there. The priest is not just providing a service for the congregation, s/he is part of it. And while not everyone needs to communicate, and while the eucharist is as much about offering as it is sharing a meal, receiving the sacrament is the natural and logical consummation of the celebration.

american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

Even the Westminster Directory was explicit that the minister should receive the sacrament. I think one might say that this was until recently the unbroken practice of the English Church.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Very interesting last two points - that has given me the information I sought.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The way it's been explained to me, for the Episcopal Church, is that anyone may receive Communion, priests included, more than once in a day if it's with a different congregation. I don't think that comes up much for most people, but those who work in a church shouldn't feel they have to refrain from all but one of the services they participate in.

As for priests receiving last - one case where it was probably the right thing to do: Bishop Swing, in the Diocese of California, asked priests to receive last during the AIDS crisis in the 80s and 90s, as a way to show that there was no fear of catching the disease from the shared chalice. That, I think, was truly hospitable.

I've served at the altar with some priests who seem to like to receive last because they can just finish off the wine (as part of ablutions). That doesn't seem legit to me - receiving the Sacrament and performing ablutions should be two different acts IMO. The priest should be able to receive Communion like the rest of us - not as a separate act of "cleaning up" after the rest of us.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sacerdote
Apprentice
# 11627

- Posted      Profile for Sacerdote   Email Sacerdote   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Indeed it is.

Sacerdote
Apprentice
# 11627

- Posted      Profile for Sacerdote   Email Sacerdote   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Indeed it is.

Might this not also be an argument in favour of celebration "ad orientem"?
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Sacerdote:
quote:
Indeed it is.

Might this not also be an argument in favour of celebration "ad orientem"?
I can sort of see how that could be an argument in favour of the north position (i.e. southwards). I can't see how it could be an argument in favour of eastward as against the current westward facing one.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

I suspect the E v W argument is in danger of becoming an Ecclesiantical dead horse. I sort of agree with Sacerdote that if ad orientem means 'all facing the same way' and 'versus populum' is taken literally to mean the priest is in some way 'opposed' to the people, then the former is preferable. But I prefer a setting where all gather around the altar on all sides, thus all face the same way towards the presence of Christ in our midst. I don't like traditional altars that are pulled away from the east wall by a couple of metres or less.
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:

I've served at the altar with some priests who seem to like to receive last because they can just finish off the wine (as part of ablutions). That doesn't seem legit to me - receiving the Sacrament and performing ablutions should be two different acts IMO. The priest should be able to receive Communion like the rest of us - not as a separate act of "cleaning up" after the rest of us.

Yes. At our place, it is the vergers who deal with the ablutions after the main Sunday Eucharist and there have been a couple of occasions when I haven't managed to receive at the altar but then have to consume what is left. This feels very strange to me.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my last parish, which was a rural parish, there were three churches. It would have been bizarre not to have communicated at each one. If I am their priest and their brother, it would have been very odd to say "this is for you, the Body of Christ which we share, but not for me at the 10 o'clock service thank you very much". If there was too much wine, I usually had an obliging lay assistant to help.

Far easier to receive first, which helps emphasise that we are all in this together. On a couple of occasions, for good reasons peculiar to the service, I communicated last (and then did the ablutions as a separate act), but in general surely the priest should show the unity of the body of Christ by communicating first in full view of the Congregation, rather than when half of them have their backs turned returning to their pew?

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't like traditional altars that are pulled away from the east wall by a couple of metres or less.

Agree. Also churches where a central altar is used for the main eucharist, but the unused East End altar remains in place and is referred to as the "High Altar" and is bowed to in preference to the one actually used. (The entire choir, clergy and serving team at a church I know well put their bottoms out at the end of the main Sunday service towards the altar that has been used.)

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
Also churches where a central altar is used for the main eucharist, but the unused East End altar remains in place and is referred to as the "High Altar" and is bowed to in preference to the one actually used. (The entire choir, clergy and serving team at a church I know well put their bottoms out at the end of the main Sunday service towards the altar that has been used.)

[Disappointed] [Disappointed]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I take it DangerousDeacon is now a PerilousPriest. Either way he or she is a sound thing.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I suspect the E v W argument is in danger of becoming an Ecclesiantical dead horse. I sort of agree with Sacerdote that if ad orientem means 'all facing the same way' and 'versus populum' is taken literally to mean the priest is in some way 'opposed' to the people, then the former is preferable. But I prefer a setting where all gather around the altar on all sides, thus all face the same way towards the presence of Christ in our midst. I don't like traditional altars that are pulled away from the east wall by a couple of metres or less.

I think versus is used as an adverb in that expression, and has rather the sense "towards" or "facing" than "opposed to".

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

While the Latin 'versus' can be used as an adverb,
it is being used here as a preposition followed by the accusative case :

populus but versus populum

'ad' in Latin is also a preposition followed by the accusative case

oriens but ad orientem

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Versus populum is complete break from the liturgical tradition of the Church. The rising sun is a sign of the risen Christ. It is also where our Lord will return and thus our facing the east is also a sign of our hope in the parousia just as, for instance, burial (as opposed to cremation) is a sign of our hope in the resurrection. These are visible signs of our faith - lex orandi lex credendi. Cardinal Ratzinger's writings on this are a great help.

[ 25. November 2014, 14:20: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016