homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Why does Wayne LaPierre still have a job?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Why does Wayne LaPierre still have a job?
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Eight Years Of One Demographically Symbolic President Is Enough"

(quote at 1:22 in the clip)

In other words, no more n*****s and certainly not a woman. Why does he still have a job? And what does that tell us about the organization he heads and the people he represents?

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because money talks and bullshit walks. The NRA is one of the most well-off lobbying groups in the world. They have Congress scared spitless. You should see their Gun Museum, in their HQ in northern Virginia. It shows you what the Smithsonian could do if it only had the money. All there is, is guns, but wow! They are displayed in some of the most high-tech and luxe cases you ever saw.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

- Posted      Profile for Teilhard   Email Teilhard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
"Eight Years Of One Demographically Symbolic President Is Enough"

(quote at 1:22 in the clip)

In other words, no more n*****s and certainly not a woman. Why does he still have a job? And what does that tell us about the organization he heads and the people he represents?

Wayne still has his (lobbying) job because he gets the results the gun nuts want …
Posts: 401 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I heard him say that the next president shouldn't be elected just because it would be a symbolic victory for a particular group.

I agree. I'm against Clinton for president not because she's a woman, but because of her politics and policies.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's nice. How do you stand on LaPierre's record?
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not being a member of the NRA, I don't particularly have a stand on LaPierre or his record.

Never heard of him before this thread. The NRA is the NRA - best ignored as the annoying pest it is.

Though if the SJWs and LibDems and their citified gun-control efforts, federal clusterfucks, outside agitators, and (probably deliberate) misreadings of American Sniper get me to join the NRA and/or buy a gun, I'm not sure I'll be able to forgive them.

--------------------
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
The NRA is the NRA - best ignored as the annoying pest it is.

One in three American households now contains at least one firearm. I may be mistaken, but I believe that is largely due to the fact that those of us who live without guns and prefer to continue in that vein have been ignoring the NRA.

The NRA is not an "annoying pest." It is a plague, in full-on epidemic mode. Ignoring it is exactly the wrong thing to do.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although if Congress were to ignore it, and instead pass some sensible gun legislation that would withstand the scrutiny of the Supreme Court, we might just be treated to the amusing spectacle of the NRA huffing and puffing and huffing and puffing and . . . being ignored!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
One in three American households now contains at least one firearm. I may be mistaken, but I believe that is largely due to the fact that those of us who live without guns and prefer to continue in that vein have been ignoring the NRA.

Really? Only one in three households has a gun? That number seems low to me. Although I know a lot of people who don't keep guns in the house when the house also contains children.

and "those of us who live without guns and prefer to continue in that vein"...? Did I miss the NRA campaign to legally require every household to contain at least one firearm?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Compulsory gun ownership has been suggested as a law in some jurisdictions. Hasn't actually passed yet, however.

--------------------

Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

- Posted      Profile for Teilhard   Email Teilhard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The NRA decades ago was a respectable organization devoted to promoting gun sports, including hunting, and they USED to be reasonable about sensible gun control measures … But for the last period they have become simply outrageously over*the*top gun NUTS (crazy) ...
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

What is sad is that it has become so profitable for them. It is they who have been telling people that Barack Obama intends to ban guns or ammunition or some such. So stock up now! People have been buying heavy-caliber guns and cases of ammo, to the great delight of the manufacturers. Nobody seems to notice, or care, that Obama has done nothing at all about that ban.

--------------------

Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
What is sad is that it has become so profitable for them. It is they who have been telling people that Barack Obama intends to ban guns or ammunition or some such. So stock up now! People have been buying heavy-caliber guns and cases of ammo, to the great delight of the manufacturers. Nobody seems to notice, or care, that Obama has done nothing at all about that ban.

The totally insanely goofy part is that: the NRA mantra is TRUE:

i.e., "Guns don't kill people; people kill people …"

Ironically, that is exactly the point behind any and every "gun control" measure, whether enacted or merely proposed … !!!

A "gun" sitting in an armory or in a locked gun safe in somebody's basement is no problem at all … until and unless some deranged or otherwise irresponsible person gets hold of it, loads it with ammo, and starts shooting ...

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
quote:

I heard him say that the next president shouldn't be elected just because it would be a symbolic victory for a particular group.
The phrase "one more" means he's also saying that the current president is also nothing more than a "demographic symbol".

But that's parsing the words at face value. American politicians have a long history of using clever slight-of-words to signal racist and/or sexist messages exactly like what Soror Magna suggests. Of course, many will say we're being paranoid and reading too much into it-- that all that was intended was your entirely innocent face-value reading.

Which is exactly the purpose of the coded language.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

In the American democracy as presently practiced, everybody has an opportunity at significant influence, including unfortunately the oligarchs and overlords, the wealthy powerful well-connected, organized labor, the Koch brothers and the Clintons … and the NRA …
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Teilhard:
In the American democracy as presently practiced, everybody has an opportunity at significant influence, including unfortunately the oligarchs and overlords, the wealthy powerful well-connected, organized labor, the Koch brothers and the Clintons … and the NRA …

I think you'll find that the influence is wielded more significantly by those who can afford to disseminate their message more effectively, thus leveraging the biases of the voting public - in the 'Merkin democracy as presently practiced.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A "gun" sitting in an armory or in a locked gun safe in somebody's basement is no problem at all … until and unless some deranged or otherwise irresponsible person gets hold of it, loads it with ammo, and starts shooting ...

Yes but what proportion of guns are kept locked away and unloaded? If 48% of Americans own a gun for protection, then surely they are going to want it to hand and ready to use?

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Nobody seems to notice, or care, that Obama has done nothing at all about that ban.

That's not exactly true. There hasn't been an all out ban, but it's incorrect to say that the Obama administration has done nothing at all.

The BATFE under this administration has issued technical letters banning the use of a specific AR-15 accessory if used a certain way. Which is highly unusual. Normally something is or isn't allowed, not allowed depending on how it's used.

The economic sanctions placed against specific Russian companies in response to the Ukraine invasion include Kalashnikov so Russian made AK rifles are no longer importable.

More recently the BATFE attempted to ban M855 (aka "green tip") ammunition for private sales, even though that ammunition has never been shown to have been used in a crime. That was only stopped after a massive letter and phone campaign was aimed at the House and Senate members to put a stop to it, which gained a lot of momentum when the NRA got behind it and encouraged its members to get involved.

That's in addition to other gun-related things like Operation Fast and Furious which could be interpreted by some to be laying the ground work for other controls, until it blew up.

[ 28. April 2015, 18:11: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

So, to translate: there has been absolutely nothing ban-like going on, after filtering out some inconsequential perpendicular issues and some rampant paranoia.

So glad you cleared that up for us.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

There has been zero crackdown, in the way that the fruitcakes and nutbars have been looking for. A minor adjustment of regulations is nowhere near the mass confiscation of ammo or guns that they have been ginning up these past seven years. I do not feel, however, that anyone is going to admit they were wrong. Even after obama steps down after his two terms and nothing has happened. They will simply transfer the nuttiness to Hilary Clinton, if she wins.

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't say it was significant, just that there wasn't nothing at all.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re the thread title:

Because Charlton Heston is off with Moses, making a prank set of commandment tablets to send back in time to Mt. Sinai?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess Mr LaPierre isn't taking his tablets. And what weird, foreign name is this anyway? I bet he isn't American, really!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

(hopefully) Kenyan?

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Mr. Obama (in reality though not in name), Republican.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The totally insanely goofy part is that: the NRA mantra is TRUE:

i.e., "Guns don't kill people; people kill people …"

Probably more accurate, depending on the circumstances, to say that 'Guns don't kill people: people with guns kill people...' Or 'people with guns are more likely to kill people'. Or something.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A comedian had the tweet
quote:
Guns don't kill people. People who say "Guns don't kill people" kill people with guns

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016