homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » That shall not be acceptable... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: That shall not be acceptable...
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Across in DH, Barnabas62 made the following comment:
quote:
The generation before mine were, in the majority, racist to some degree, sexist to some degree, and also convinced that homosexuality was a perversion. Some of them, including very elderly people I care a lot about, are still stuck in the previously socially acceptable mindset.
The context is not particularly important to this thread. Indeed, whatever your POV on those issues, it seems incontrovertible to me that there are some things that our parents regarded as unexceptionable which we would collectively disagree with, or see differently. And it seems to me that since things have always been that way, then it will continue.

So - what I would like to explore is - what ideas or ways of seeing things are unexceptional now, but which might be unacceptable to future generations?

This one is going to need a bit of work. By definition, those things will not be obvious to us. And just to clarify, this is not about any pre-existing dead horse issues, nor is it an invitation to ride some personal hobby-horse. It is about how we (i.e. this age) collectively see things, which may on further inspection not hold much water, to the extent they may be uncongenial enough to be rejected in future.

Any thoughts?

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Animal Welfare possibly. In particular the way animals are kept, transported and killed. Eating meat which is mass produced is still the 'default setting' for most of us. The right to eat meat is often taken for granted.

Mental health treatment - both for those with organic and functional illnesses. We may (fingers crossed) look back in 50 years time and have a real feeling of process regarding how people are assessed and treated (in both senses of the term).

Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite a few thoughts, now I come to think of it.

I'm pretty sure that the developments in the field generally known as AI, and the spin-offs from genetic research are going to raise a range of moral and ethical conundrums which will challenge current notions of social acceptability. There are signs of this already.

I've also got a feeling that further technical developments designed to protect people from random violence may begin to bite into cherished historical notions of privacy and the free society. Again the trends are already there, and I guess the pressures will increase.

Quality of life v sanctity of life arguments seem likely to heat up even further as the means of increasing lifespans exceed the ability of even wealthy societies to pay for them, and the developing means of manipulating and fertilising eggs throw up all sorts of possibilities for eliminating some congenital disorders.

Global resource management in the light of the various threats of climate change, and the rather different impact of economic globalisation seem likely to lead to some re-evaluation of the value and benefits of nation states, given the difficulties of getting agreement over co-ordinated action in the global public interest.

I expect the moral maze to grow many more dead ends, even more detoured routes and the need for ever more sophisticated maps to find the way through.

But I may be unusual for a 72 year old. I enjoy learning, am generally comfortable with change and don't feel threatened by it. I foresee a good deal of muddling through.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to hope in the not distant future "White people live longer not because of their DNA but because of inequality." will not be news link) both because it generally won't be true, and because where we do have racial disparities we at least kind of admit them. (I would have thought that the racial gap we have in health care quality in the U.S. was obvious already, but the Atlantic is a publication I respect, so I am going to have to shudder and accept that it's not as much common knowledge as I'd wish)

I'd like my daughter (and sons!) to live in a world where female politicians get the same quality of questions and interest as men. A world where you don't ask women mainly about their hair/clothes while you ask men about world policy.

I'd like to hope my children (grandchildren slightly less impossibly, I fear) will live in a world where there are many more PoC touted as models. Respected people of color to see in games, people appearing in somewhat representative numbers in politics, in movies, in science*, etc.

*Neil de Grasse Tyson is great, but he's one of the very few.

[ 13. April 2015, 14:40: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:
Animal Welfare possibly. In particular the way animals are kept, transported and killed. Eating meat which is mass produced is still the 'default setting' for most of us. The right to eat meat is often taken for granted.

In certain left-wing and liberal circles that I frequent, the move is already afoot to have animal-rights become as accepted as human-rights, and meat eating lowered to the same moral status as cannibalism.

Thing is, though, a lot of the people advocating this position don't seem to have thought it through too clearly. They say things like "Well, white hunters killing seals for the fur market in Europe is evil, but if they're indigenous hunters whose communities depend on seal hunting for their economic survival, well, that's okay." They don't seem to get that by the logic of the animal-rights movement(see Peter Singer et al), clubbing a seal on the head is no different from clubbing a human on the head.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Jack o' the Green about animal welfare, though I see this more as an offshoot from current disagreements over dominion/stewardship of the planet.

I think another potential issue might come with a re-examination of economics, with a shift to the left causing us to reassess the ethics of how profits are made. This might echo the moves made towards the abolition of slavery, only this time going further, advocating the abolition of any form of economic exploitation for commercial gain.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The way children are so often treated without respect in schools and families.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stetson's post is troubling, given that that wild meat is actually affordable in the north because you shoot or catch it yourself. When milk is $17 for 2 l and bullets cost $2 each, it's pretty straightforward.

BTW, the clubbing of seals isn't generally the practice of indigenous people. Mentioning it trots out an unfortunate and inaccurate image of what living off the land is.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Stetson's post is troubling, given that that wild meat is actually affordable in the north because you shoot or catch it yourself. When milk is $17 for 2 l and bullets cost $2 each, it's pretty straightforward.

BTW, the clubbing of seals isn't generally the practice of indigenous people. Mentioning it trots out an unfortunate and inaccurate image of what living off the land is.

Fair enough. Though, the point remains that if killing animals is wrong when white hunters do it, it should be wrong when anyone does it.

quote:
given that that wild meat is actually affordable in the north because you shoot or catch it yourself.
Well, the context I was specifically thinking of was not killing animals for one's own consumption, but killing them to sell to market. I have heard it argued that it's okay for indiginous people to do this, but not whites.

And, anyway, even if you are killing the animal for your own eating purposes, that shouldn't matter, if animals are supposed to be equivalent to humans in terms of rights.

(For the record, seal hunting is fine by me, reagradless of the reasons or the cultural background of the hunters.)

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It begs a couple of question doesn't it though? How do we accept that that animal life is worthy of respect and preservation, but have unaffordable ideas of what and how to eat and sustain people. Further, is it then okay to slap a mosquito, set a mouse trap, take a medicine to eliminate parasitic worms?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As well as much of the above, I hope that our prison systems will be seen with horror, and the remnants of capital punishment.

I would love to think that acceptability of prostitution will have been left behind too, in a world where human dignity is valued.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Transphobia will become less acceptable and understanding of gender will become less tied to physical sex and to the binary. I doubt that transphobia will ever disappear completely, but our future selves will be horrified at the way transgender people are used as the punchline of jokes, even by people who are quite progressive in other respects. Transphobic jokes - which are currently everywhere - will be as uncomfortable to watch as the racist humour of the 1960s and 1970s is today.

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack o' the Green:

In certain left-wing and liberal circles that I frequent, the move is already afoot to have animal-rights become as accepted as human-rights, and meat eating lowered to the same moral status as cannibalism.

Thing is, though, a lot of the people advocating this position don't seem to have thought it through too clearly. They say things like "Well, white hunters killing seals for the fur market in Europe is evil, but if they're indigenous hunters whose communities depend on seal hunting for their economic survival, well, that's okay." They don't seem to get that by the logic of the animal-rights movement(see Peter Singer et al), clubbing a seal on the head is no different from clubbing a human on the head.

I think Jack is talking about something bigger here, or at least I would be in making that argument.

One can certainly argue the ethics of meat-eating in general. But even if one accepts the premise that humans are meant to be omnivores, that doesn't settle the issue. Killing an animal-- even fairly brutally is not nearly as ethically challenged as keeping an animal in horrific conditions for it's entire life, as is the norm in most factory farming, or breeding in extreme abnormalities that cripple said animals. If one accepts meat-eating, then every animal consumed will have to have one Very Bad Day. One can and should try to make it as quick and humane as possible, but more than that, we should ensure that it is only ONE Very Bad Day-- not a lifetime of them.

In that paradigm, hunting is (with some notable exceptions) probably the most ethical form of meat-eating, since the animal is living the life it is meant to live-- out in the wild, free and unencumbered, up until the end.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
It begs a couple of question doesn't it though? How do we accept that that animal life is worthy of respect and preservation, but have unaffordable ideas of what and how to eat and sustain people. Further, is it then okay to slap a mosquito, set a mouse trap, take a medicine to eliminate parasitic worms?

My own view is that animal-wleafre legislation, even of the most moderate, SPCA-ish variety, is based on iconsistent moral premises.

We say, for example, that it would be wrong, and illegal, for a guy to smash mice to death in his basement just because he's a sadist and that's what gets him off. However, if a demolition crew is about to set off some explosives to take down an old building in order to put up condos, and someone comes running up and says "Stop, stop, there's a family of mice on the tenth floor!!", we don't expect them to halt the demolition to remove the mice.

Even though the mice in the building will suffer just as much as the mice in the sadist's basement, and for not much more in the way of human benefit(we can live without another luxury condo).

Taking my point to its logical conclusion, you'd have to admit that, if we're not going to protect the mice in the building, there's no reason to think we need to protect the mice in the sadist's basement. But abolition of all animal-welfare laws is not a place that many people, myself included, really want to go to.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Cliffdweller wrote:

quote:
If one accepts meat-eating, then every animal consumed will have to have one Very Bad Day. One can and should try to make it as quick and humane as possible, but more than that, we should ensure that it is only ONE Very Bad Day-- not a lifetime of them.

Peter Singer, who I mentioned earlier as the intellectual godfather of animal-rights, has justified his own consumption of free-range chicken, on the grounds that animals, unlike humans, don't have a developed concept of future existence, and so killing them(if done painlessly) does not impart the same degree of emotional anguish that killing a human would.

I dunno. He might have managed to square the circle on that, insofar as the debate is limited to the eating of meat.

[ 13. April 2015, 16:27: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm interested that no-one has yet considered that in the future things might change so that, for instance, it is not acceptable to regard women and men as equal and our current views are regarded as an aberration.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by M.:
I'm interested that no-one has yet considered that in the future things might change so that, for instance, it is not acceptable to regard women and men as equal and our current views are regarded as an aberration.

M.

Would you care to give a concrete example of how such an anti-egalitarian trend might play itself out?

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have in mind the prospect that a more enlightened future generation will discover that microwaves in the atmosphere are the origin of so many ills and maladies that today have 'no cause'.

They will see old films of us using our microwave ovens and will hide behind their fingers in horror whilst crying out "What we they thinking??" [Ultra confused] [Eek!] [Paranoid]

[ 13. April 2015, 16:41: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stetson, not really, no. It was just a passing thought that everyone was assuming that the future would be more liberal, accepting, egalitarian etc. but there's no real reason to assume that to be the case.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

I was actually considering that. The pendulum is likely to swing the other way at some point; we're already beginning to see a bit of a backlash against political correctness and a move away from it. My prediction would be that that would increase.

It will be played out against a background of strife, probably, because I don't see the current political situations resolving peacefully overnight. Attitudes tend to harden in times of adversity and people become less liberal. Possibly religious faith will be on the increase with some hardline moral attitudes going with it.

Gender roles for men and women, despite all the talk of equality, are currently still laden with expectations, likely inherited preconceptions, but still there. I don't think you will ever get rid of that.

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

M.

It is interesting. I suggest it seems unlikely to us because we detect a massive historical tide moving in these issues, and that despite local eddies and currents, the movement is one way.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
I suggest it seems unlikely to us because we detect a massive historical tide moving in these issues, and that despite local eddies and currents, the movement is one way.

The question is how much longer the late Empire of the West will last. Maybe it will rule the world another century, maybe it won't. If it does, then the tide seems to be going one way, that's true. But if it doesn't, then it is unlikely that all the current trends will be carried on by the various challengers for socio-cultural world supremacy.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That particular tide has only been running that way (in the UK) since 1850, hatless. Had you been standing on the threshold of the 1850's, you could have made the same argument, but it would have been heading in entirely the opposite direction, and for very much longer.

Not that I would wish to encourage a rash of dystopian scenarios, but I think M and Ariel were simply exploring aspects that made no assumptions of movement in one direction only.

I'm intrigued by Barnabas62's post - a more detailed analysis of consequences could add more ideas there I think.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

M.

I rather thought the same thing as I started reading this thread, which assume things will continue along the current trend.

I read this piece about the treatment of transgender children by Brendan O'Neill the other day. Whereas now some people might regard his views as transphobic, is it not entirely possible that thirty years down the line we might look back on this sort of thing as a kind of child abuse? I've no strong views on the subject but it seems entirely plausible.

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very interesting question and very interesting thread.

I think it's quite right not to assume that everything will continue to get more 'progressive' in the way we currently assume that word implies. It's also quite good to remind oneself that until 1945 revealed where such things led, most 'progressive' opinion thought eugenics was a great idea and assumed the future would be eugenic.

Nor has everything hitherto moved in a 'progressive' direction. I find it quite troubling that compared with forty years ago, people no longer seem to feel uncomfortable admitting to blatant social prejudice, as long as it is not founded in race, sex or sexuality.

There will almost certainly be at least one current 'progressive' idea that will come to be regarded as appalling, but it is difficult to predict which it will be. Animals may be the one. However, my own suspicion is that it may be somewhere on the nurture end of the nature v nurture debate, and the preference in 'progressive' circles throughout my lifetime to believe human nature is infinitely malleable.

As some shipmates have pointed out, the global opinion formers of the future will not all be North America, Western Europe or anglophone.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd suggest that the question of how much a currently acceptable view may go into reverse, is probably dependent on how much the 'progress' is based on just current social norms which have been shaped by western liberalism.

On the other hand it may have been shaped by much wider currents e.g. changing attitudes on racism may be more shaped by people travelling further, exploring other cultures and more marriage between those of different ethnic groups. I think the pluralism of our own times may well be shaped by such factors. In which case the possibility of reversals is less likely.

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think western liberalism is also rather shaped by our current relative plenty. If that continues and spreads, I suspect what I consider progress will continue. If instead scarcity increases, I would definitely expect reverses.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gwai - I think you are right. That would be the big unknown and would have considerable potency - probably negatively.
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Enoch wrote:

quote:
However, my own suspicion is that it may be somewhere on the nurture end of the nature v nurture debate, and the preference in 'progressive' circles throughout my lifetime to believe human nature is infinitely malleable.

Somewhat related to that, I have an inkling that in about 100 years(it'll take time) universal and compulsory education will be regarded as a mistake, basically a failed social experiment.

Partly, I think this will be connected to a narrowing of the socio-cognitive gap between adults and youth, and the gradual vanishing of adolescance as a transitory period bridging childhood and adulthood.

Personal bias: I am largely autodidatic in my knowledge. Junior-high for me consisted mostly of things that I had already taught myself outside of the classroom(or would soon be teaching myself, eg. history), or things that I lacked the innate capabilities to ever understand(eg. math). So, for the amount that I did actually learn, I could probably have just gone to school for an hour or so a day, and gotten a part-time job for the rest. Then, gone back to school for upgrading when I was in my twenties and wanted to go to univeristy.

Yes, I am suggesting that a return to child-labour might not be such a bad thing.

Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

- Posted      Profile for Drewthealexander     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luigi:
I'd suggest that the question of how much a currently acceptable view may go into reverse, is probably dependent on how much the 'progress' is based on just current social norms which have been shaped by western liberalism.

On the other hand it may have been shaped by much wider currents e.g. changing attitudes on racism may be more shaped by people travelling further, exploring other cultures and more marriage between those of different ethnic groups. I think the pluralism of our own times may well be shaped by such factors. In which case the possibility of reversals is less likely.

I think you're quite right to raise the question of how the direction of our current culture will be shaped. Western Europe is currently experiencing a sharp decline in its birth rates, whilst also enjoying a trend towards greater longevity. We will, quite simply, need more young people to balance our economy. Where will they come from? Well clearly there are areas of the world where birth rates are expanding, and these are overwhelmingly populated by people with more traditional faith views than currently predominate in Europe.

Whilst I don't expect a cultural shift as radical, say, as that in Iran after the fall of the Shah, the trend towards more liberal views may well go into reverse over the next couple of generations.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I think western liberalism is also rather shaped by our current relative plenty. If that continues and spreads, I suspect what I consider progress will continue. If instead scarcity increases, I would definitely expect reverses.

You can see it already. The rise of the tea party in America is directly related to the economic downturn. There are other factors, but the bulk of the fuel was the threat of scarcity.
Reactionary politics are fueled by uncertainty.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How the elderly are treated, especially treating dementia with anti-psychotic medication.

I hope that the treatment of intellectually delayed and vulnerable adults will be similarly regarded.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember reading a similar discussion on another website, a few years ago, with all the usual stuff about how we treat prisoners and non-human animals, and so forth. At which point one wag chipped in with "allowing criticism of the Prophet Mohammed". The thing is, we just don't know, do we? It's very tempting to say that penal reform or animal rights, to run with those particular examples, are part of the onward march of ineluctable progress but then that is how a certain type of Edwardian would have regarded socialism (in its Webb-Shaw Fabian manifestation) and eugenics and look how that turned out. All we can do is argue for justice, as we see it, in the here and now without worrying too much as to whether or not we earn the plaudits or condemnation of our grandchildren.

Of course, if I could go back in time to 1945 and quiz my grandparents about, say, race relations or homosexuality or corporal and capital punishment I suspect that I would have been slightly aghast at their opinions. On the other hand I would be somewhat inclined to cut them quite a lot of slack because both my grandfathers were somewhat active in the war against National Socialism. I think that a significant difference is that I can't see anything where subsequent generations can be said to be leaving them an equally positive legacy.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

- Posted      Profile for Teilhard   Email Teilhard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The impending already developing global ecological crises will render all other questions moot …

While the rate of human population growth is slowing, our numbers are still increasing, and the size of our population is already far above anything the Earth can sustain …

Our parents and grandparents used to speak blithely about "our" world, "our" oceans and forests and atmosphere, not malevolently but naively … We (they) thought that we may do as we please with what belongs to us …

The realistic understanding is that we belong to, utterly depend upon, a world -- oceans, soil, atmosphere, millions of other species -- that certainly does not belong to us …

The human species is in deep peril ...

Posts: 401 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Taking my point to its logical conclusion, you'd have to admit that, if we're not going to protect the mice in the building, there's no reason to think we need to protect the mice in the sadist's basement. But abolition of all animal-welfare laws is not a place that many people, myself included, really want to go to.

I believe St Thomas Aquinas argued that though animals have no rights, we ought not to be cruel to them because that might make it easier to be cruel to people. In this case, I suppose bashing rats for pleasure in a basement is more likely to make you think "Ooh, I wonder if this works with people?" than merely blowing them up as collateral damage.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the medium term animal welfare could be difficult to insist upon if natural habitats continue to be destroyed and the earth's population continues to grow. The demand for meat, raw materials, and places for humans to live will probably take priority over animal welfare in many countries.

The provision of consumer goods and services for pampered pets is likely to increase in societies where standards of living are rising, but perhaps that's not exactly 'animal welfare'.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:

I believe St Thomas Aquinas argued that though animals have no rights, we ought not to be cruel to them because that might make it easier to be cruel to people. In this case, I suppose bashing rats for pleasure in a basement is more likely to make you think "Ooh, I wonder if this works with people?" than merely blowing them up as collateral damage.
Okay, but if the basis for outlawing an activity is that it might inspire someone to take things a step too far, that has some interesting implications for human freedom.

You could argue for the criminalization of BDSM, for example, on the grounds that some participants will eventually want to try it out on non-consenting people. Same logic could apply to wrestling, violent computer games, or any number of other activities.

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I wouldn't claim my views are particularly coherent, but those things are sort-of acknowledged - I understand BDSM communities are quite strict about safewords and not letting you be the master until you've done a stint as the slave, and we have age restrictions on violent films and games to protect impressionable youth.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
So - what I would like to explore is - what ideas or ways of seeing things are unexceptional now, but which might be unacceptable to future generations?

The current Western view of these types of issues centers around the importance of individual rights and injustices committed against individuals.

A more global perspective would recognize that this is not the view shared cross-culturally. Other cultures tend to have an orientation that is more strongly focused on the good of the whole rather than the rights of the individual.

It seems likely to me that as the dominance of the West declines in the future, the same will happen to Western ideas about what is and is not acceptable. Specifically, the Western-driven orientation to individual rights, and our sensitivity to injustices committed against those rights.

This makes me think that things that are unexceptional now, but which will be unacceptable in the future, will be things that we see ourselves as having a right to, even though they may harm society. They might be things like the over-use of resources - using too much water, fuel, food, etc. Or they might be things like engaging in anti-social behaviors - unpleasant actions that are currently protected by our devotion to individual rights.

These are the kinds of things that represent a serious clash of culture between the West and the rest, and possibly between the present and the future. [Biased]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As to hunting animals. We can clearly distinguish between hunting that is essentially harmless (except by definition to the prey), like hunting deer. There are a =lot= of deer around; removing a couple million of them will have only beneficial effects. (You should see what they did to my daylilies this week.)
Compare this to hunting whales. Some species have been hunted into extinction, and others are nearly extinct. I have no problem with one set of rules for deer and another for right whales. Nor should there be real difficulty about changing the rules, as species recover or become more rare.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You could argue for the criminalization of BDSM, for example, on the grounds that some participants will eventually want to try it out on non-consenting people.

There have certainly been prosecutions of some involved in S&M in the UK, on the grounds that the consent of the victim is not a defence to an assault charge. I don't know how the law stands in this regard now.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to the OP's query. If you look at the past, you can see behaviors that were acceptable then that are clearly not doable now. Slavery is the best example. So we are definitely heading in a direction (on this one point) that we agree is good.

There are many, many novels that speculate on future developments in this line. A good one might be Robert Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. In which the Lunar citizens lay out their bill of rights; it includes air and cubic, not something we worry about. But there was some government official in the Midwest just the other day who alleged that there is no human right to water.

--------------------

Full Circle
Shipmate
# 15398

- Posted      Profile for Full Circle     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re OP
I would like to think that there might be equal access to health care dependant on need, not nationality

Re animal rights
Sadly I'm a pessimist on that one. Sadly I think there may be hardly any animals left, except farm animals

--------------------
Beware the monocausal fallacy (Anon)

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think they'll look back at our talk about "race," with amazement. Some young person will find an old form with check-boxes for Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, etc. and say, "What the fuge? How did that work? Did you hold people against a color chart? At what point along the equator did people change from White to Hispanic? Or is Hispania a country? What was "Bi-racial?" Wouldn't that have been everyone outside Ethiopia?

They'll also be shocked at all the underweight people, some adults actually seeming to be under 200 pounds. Pitifully small clothing in the museums. How did they breed?

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BDSM just may be quite a relevant example to work on.

Even where it is not illegal, it isn't really approved of. A lot of people who otherwise think of themselves as liberal on sex, don't like the idea at all.

Back in the 1970s, there were some who argued that the sexual freedom others were claiming should be extended to paedophilia. There was a scandal recently when it was alleged that prominent politicians who in their younger days had been involved in the NCCL (National Council for Civil Liberties for those in other countries) may or may not have extended rather too much slack to an organisation called Paedophile Information Exchange who were claiming that civil liberties should include their liberty to run their network.

Today, this sounds as an outrageous claim to a civil liberty. If BDSM enthusiasts are making the same claim now, will this come to be seen as obviously fair or outrageously beyond the pale? Irrespective of whether we care, who of us now can say?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...What race were the red-heads? Really? they're more different than this picture of a person from Mexico City and this one from New York and they were different races right? What was the reason? Was it to make sure people from the same race didn't marry? Was it kind of like incest and would make human's weak? Just the opposite? What? Can we divide up the classroom and assign everybody what their race would have been? Not if you value your teacher's license? Let's quit talking about it now, I think William is crying and she never cries."
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Enoch wrote:

quote:
Back in the 1970s, there were some who argued that the sexual freedom others were claiming should be extended to paedophilia. There was a scandal recently when it was alleged that prominent politicians who in their younger days had been involved in the NCCL (National Council for Civil Liberties for those in other countries) may or may not have extended rather too much slack to an organisation called Paedophile Information Exchange who were claiming that civil liberties should include their liberty to run their network.

Today, this sounds as an outrageous claim to a civil liberty. If BDSM enthusiasts are making the same claim now, will this come to be seen as obviously fair or outrageously beyond the pale? Irrespective of whether we care, who of us now can say?

I don't think you'll ever see BDSM treated with the same degree of revulsion that pedophilia is. For most liberal-minded people, the pivotal factor in determining the morality of a sexual act is "consenting adults", with both parts of the equation being non-negotiable.

I know people who have a problem with BDSM, regarding it as holding serious psychological pitfalls for the participants. But even they are able to maintain cordial friendships with people who are into it. Very few people could likely maintain similar frienships with pedophiles.

From here on in, I think that the most negative the mainstream will get about BDSM would be sort of the way some people think about boxing: "Well, it seems like kind of a messed up sport to be into, what with getting your head bashed in and all, but if that's what they wanna do, well, it's their choice". I don't think you're going to see widespread calls to crack down on the practices, except maybe from conservative religious types.

And yes, I've heard about the court cases where it was ruled that consensual BDSM could still be prosecuted. Seems rather parernalistic to me, and I can't imagine too many BDSMers will be pressing charges, lest they make themselves look ridiculous. "Yes, your honour, I ASKED her to singe my chest hairs with a flame, but when she actually did it, I kinda wished she hadn't."

[ 14. April 2015, 20:12: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The comments about BDSM are interesting. At the moment, kink appears to have gone mainstream with Fifty Shades and all that, but at the same time the British Board of Film Classification has banned certain, more extreme sex acts from pornographic films, including spanking.

There seems to me something of a contradiction there but goodness knows how things will play out in the coming decades.

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
The comments about BDSM are interesting. At the moment, kink appears to have gone mainstream with Fifty Shades and all that, but at the same time the British Board of Film Classification has banned certain, more extreme sex acts from pornographic films, including spanking.

There seems to me something of a contradiction there but goodness knows how things will play out in the coming decades.

But that's specifically for material that's been legally defined as pornography, right? There has always been a bit of a double standard between what is allowed in a "respectable" book or film(eg. Fifty Shades, to some people), and what is allowed in pornography.

If some of the stuff shown in The Garden Of Earthly Delights(for example) were portrayed in cartoons for a porn mag, it might be viewed very differently by the law.

[ 14. April 2015, 20:18: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The entire issue of consent (into which BDSM can be folded) is fairly recent. The idea that people should agree, and be able to agree, to sex has developed over time. The age of consent when Victoria was queen was 12. People recognized that the seven-year-old prostitutes were being abused, but a 12-year-old was a hooker. Even now there is no agreement about the proper age of consent, and there are exceptions, the best known being the Romeo-and-Juliet loophole. (If you are 30 and having sex with a 14-year-old, it's jail; if you are 15 then you might not be prosecuted.)

I think we could agree that consent is important and good, and that it should not be dialed back. We do not want to go back to the Don Draper days when you could abuse your secretarial staff, nor to the Pepys practice of rogering the maid.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016