Thread: Andrew, Justin and George Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029255

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

With apologies to Marvin Gaye:

You're warmongers

Andrew,

Justin

and

George

just like Jesus who was the God of the Old Testament wasn't He?

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

I doubt we'll hear "Religious leaders ought to stay out of politics" for a while then.

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

Martin60, you are following the wrong religion. Try Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's TM-Sidhi perhaps? The "Extended Maharishi Effect" emanating from this practice apparently cures violence, whether of crime or war, in the surrounding society.

Posted by Beeswax Altar (# 11644) on :

There is no postmodern Jesus. Rather, postmodernism allows for infinite conceptions of Jesus. You can have your own personal Jesus. However expecting others to become martyrs in service to your own personal Jesus is rather arrogant. The only potential martyr for your own personal Jesus is you.

So why did George change his mind? From 'you cannot end violence with violence'.

Which one's yours? The bipolar homicidal hippy?

One cannot end violence with violence, but one can stop violence from succeeding with violence.

There is a difference between presenting the other cheek and offering your neck for decapitation.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

Well considering that the same bloke who said "turn the other cheek" did indeed "offer his neck for decapitation", good luck with arguing that.

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

I wouldn't have thought it was particularly surprising that leaders of the religion that developed just war theory would occasionally consider that a war is just.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Well considering that the same bloke who said "turn the other cheek" did indeed "offer his neck for decapitation", good luck with arguing that.

That's a predictable response, but still an misleading one. Whatever one may think the crucifixion was about, it certainly was not about letting the Romans and/or the Jewish establishment have their way. Much less was it about limply accepting genocide or religious and cultural elimination. Considered purely on political terms, I would say it even was an offensive move. Jesus clearly was seeking the public confrontation, rather than avoiding it. If you already lived as dhimmi under a powerful tyrannical Muslim regime that is asphyxiating Christianity, then publicly offering you neck for decapitation by the Islamic authorities might be a similar move to what Jesus did. When such Muslim forces are still trying to overrun your people in order to subjugate you in this manner, then it is not the time yet for such desperate measures. Then you stand up and fight, or at a minimum get out of the way of those that still do.

Posted by Laurelin (# 17211) on :

So poor old Andrew, Justin and George get demonised, while there's not a peep in the OP about the warmongering, sadistic sexual violence and death-cult of IS. Funny old world, isn't it? [Smile]

I suppose those Jews who desperately fought back against the Third Reich at the storming of the Warsaw Ghetto were 'warmongers' too. Not following the Sermon on the Mount, were they?

Anyway, this is old news. Andrew, Justin and George made all these pronouncements last summer, according to the links. So you can rest easy, Martin, nobody is listening to the 'warmongering' church anyway. There are no ground troops going in. Meanwhile, Andrew White's organisation actually helps the victims of war violence and their children.

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

That's a predictable response, but still an misleading one.
So who would Jesus kill?

So Christians were wrong for the first three centuries, then they got their minds right? Enabling them to prevent the Warsaw Ghetto without peacefully resisting evil for 1700 years. How effective that's been. Not limp at all. Being utterly gutlessly supine in the face of Caesar be he Roman, German, American, Jewish or Arab.

quote:
So who would Jesus kill?

I cannot see Him killing ANYONE. [Help]

Or sanctioning all the horrible ways in which we kill each other. [Frown]

But let's say I'm a Jewish woman in Warsaw, in 1943, and the tanks are rolling straight towards the wall, and my compatriots are ready with hand-guns and Molotov cocktails. I'd have joined in too. A pathetic band against the might of the Reich, but we'll fight to the last man - and woman.

Find it hard to believe that Jesus would judge anyone in that situation. [Help]

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
So Christians were wrong for the first three centuries, then they got their minds right?

I don't think anyone is actually saying that, are they? It's just that these are not exactly easy issues to resolve.

Humans have been perfecting the art of war over centuries, culminating in the 20th century creation of weapons that could destroy us and the planet. In all honesty, I don't know how centuries of Christian pacifism could have prevented that dubious 'progress'. Our witness might have been more effective and less tarnished. But how can we stop the human race from being war-like? It's in our genes. Good old evolutionary determinism, surely.

quote:
How effective that's been. Not limp at all. Being utterly gutlessly supine in the face of Caesar be he Roman, German, American, Jewish or Arab.
Wringing one's hands over how awful we've been (and there's no doubt we have been, and continue to be) doesn't strike me as being all that effective either. Sorry. [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin:
quote:
So who would Jesus kill?

I cannot see Him killing ANYONE. [Help]
Which is your answer.

If we are to become more Christlike, then we need to follow the example of Christ. No one said it was going to be easy. Quite the opposite, in fact.

(And, of course, I agree with you. I'm a fallen human being, with enough compassion to identify with the victims of violence, and not enough to identify with the perpetrators)

quote:
So who would Jesus kill?

You mean, who did Jesus kill, by virtue of orthodox Incarnation-Trinity? The Amalekites, for example.

Club Marcion is over there where Martin60 is standing.

quote:
So Christians were wrong for the first three centuries, then they got their minds right?

Christians in the first three centuries were not in a position to defend "Christendom", because they had not established it yet. They continued to aggressively undermine the reigning system in the way Jesus had pioneered, until they finally took over the Roman empire. Then they had to switch gears, and did with the development of "just war theory" - soon with plenty of inspiration from our Muslim friends.

Calling the news of the resurrection of their "Son of God" (a title assumed by the Roman emperor) "evangelium" (as important announcements of that emperor were called) was basically the original political manifesto of the Jewish sect we belong to.

Posted by iamchristianhearmeroar (# 15483) on :

quote:
You mean, who did Jesus kill, by virtue of orthodox Incarnation-Trinity? The Amalekites, for example.

Is a bit of an oversimplification isn't it? You might argue that the slaughter of the Amalekites was ordered by YHWH through the intermediaries of Samuel and Saul, but not that the slaughter was at YHWH's hand directly. But you might argue that YHWH was in fact directly responsible for the death of the Egyptian first-born.

YHWH also slew Onan and zapped Uzzah, for example. And carpet-bombed Sodom and Gomorrah. But you know, all that is just bronze age mythology, which Martin60 et al. have declared to be vastly inferior to the iron age scripture. And that in turn is vastly inferior to the silicon age interpretation thereof.

[ 04. August 2015, 11:52: Message edited by: IngoB ]

The question's still there if you want to answer it. If it's too hard for you, there's no shame in admitting it - I find it almost impossible.

quote:
(And, of course, I agree with you. I'm a fallen human being, with enough compassion to identify with the victims of violence, and not enough to identify with the perpetrators)

Indeed ... and I certainly don't want to become like the perpetrators ...

quote:
YHWH also slew Onan and zapped Uzzah, for example. And carpet-bombed Sodom and Gomorrah. But you know, all that is just bronze age mythology, which Martin60 et al. have declared to be vastly inferior to the iron age scripture. And that in turn is vastly inferior to the silicon age interpretation thereof.

I am not a fan of Club Marcion and would never dismiss the OT as 'just bronze age mythology'. All the same, there's no denying that Jesus's MO is quite a bit different (and superior) from that of the Canaan jihad (which, in any case, let's not forget, was a one-off in Israel's history). The message of the Prophets, by way of contrast, is higher, deeper and richer, and applicable to all of us, not just Israel in a certain time and place. It's not that I dismiss the OT, or think that silicon age interpretations are all that. It's that I think there is a higher Covenant still, of which Jesus is the mediator, which builds on the Old Covenant but also surpasses it.

quote:
The question's still there if you want to answer it. If it's too hard for you, there's no shame in admitting it - I find it almost impossible.

The question has already been answered. Marcion was a heretic. The parables of Jesus taken as a whole are entirely consistent with the OT. Never once does Jesus argue that all violence is wrong. On the contrary, the just rulers in the parables of Jesus use violence all the time. Indeed the just kings in the OT use violence to defend their people. Not one single time does Jesus question their use of violence. Who would Jesus kill? The NT taken as a whole suggests Jesus will kill a multitude of people when His kingdom comes. Do I think Jesus would use violence to prevent ISIS from committing genocide if Jesus was an earthly ruler. My answer based on scripture, tradition, and reason is absolutely he would.

I'm glad for you that you find your answer convincing enough to permit you to take another's life. Would that I were similarly convinced.

quote:

You are beholden of circumstance, namely the particular one of Jesus' life. However, I'm also exceedingly unlikely to put a bullet through the head of an ISIS fighter. I'm an academic who is well insulated from that sort of thing by social structures, at least for now. But it would be wrong to take my own living circumstances as proof positive that it is generally immoral to put a bullet through the head of an ISIS fighter. I can appreciate that there are circumstances where a soldier might do that licitly. Just like Jesus does not tell soldiers to throw down their arms and kill no more. He rather tells them to do their job with integrity (Lk 3:14).

If we want to think of Jesus killing, we have to avoid constructing scenarios at odds with His living circumstances. Otherwise the oddness we feel is to a large extent the same oddness I would feel if somebody put a gun in my hand and told me to kill some ISIS soldiers.

I expect Jesus would have stepped in within a civilian setting, if necessary with deadly force, where innocent life was under threat and the defence would have done more good than harm. So if you want me to construct some example, then some crazed Jew killing a child in front of Him may conceivably have met his maker at the hands of his maker.

Posted by mr cheesy (# 3330) on :

I think most of us can understand/appreciate the imperative to protect the innocent, if necessary by killing a blood-thirsty assailant.

The problem is that whenever War has been postulated as a solution to protect the innocent by the Western powers, it doesn't. It makes bad problems worse.

Given that, it is extremely hard to take seriously claims by religious leaders that "this" conflict is going to turn out any different to all those other bad conflicts in the last 20 years.

quote:
I expect Jesus would have stepped in within a civilian setting, if necessary with deadly force, where innocent life was under threat and the defence would have done more good than harm.

Or He might have sat on his haunches, drawing in the dust. Oh, hang on...

quote:
All the same, there's no denying that Jesus's MO is quite a bit different (and superior) from that of the Canaan jihad (which, in any case, let's not forget, was a one-off in Israel's history).

MO=Modus Operandi? Politically speaking, Jesus established a kind of social guerrilla warfare against both the Roman occupiers and the Jewish establishment. He did not seek a direct confrontation, that is correct. But again, politically speaking that was simply good strategy. Countless failed Jewish rebellions showed that going one-on-one with them was just suicide. But the gospel and indeed the rest of the NT is about as in your face and confrontational to both Roman and Jewish powers as an underground movement with a long-term plan could make them, and when we (post-)Christians today say that we don't want to make a martyr of somebody we are basically identifying how Christians used self-sacrifice to boost their numbers and destabilise their opponents in what back then was a completely novel and counter-intuitive approach.

quote:
The message of the Prophets, by way of contrast, is higher, deeper and richer, and applicable to all of us, not just Israel in a certain time and place.

Applicable to all of us, you say?

"I will utterly sweep away everything from the face of the earth," says the LORD. "I will sweep away man and beast; I will sweep away the birds of the air and the fish of the sea. I will overthrow the wicked; I will cut off mankind from the face of the earth," says the LORD. " - Zephaniah 1:2-3

But seriously now, the prophets are full with the doom and gloom of warfare and Divine punishment. Read Amos and tell me about his vision of peace, love and happiness, if you will.

quote:
It's that I think there is a higher Covenant still, of which Jesus is the mediator, which builds on the Old Covenant but also surpasses it.

Oh, I agree with that. I just don't think that it is a "pacifist" New Covenant. God for one continues sniping the wicked (ask Herod, Ananias and Sapphira) and in the final harvest of God's wrath we will see that "blood flowed from the wine press, as high as a horse's bridle, for one thousand six hundred stadia." (Rev 14:20) It's of course silly to calculate how many people you have to bleed dry to get that much blood, but I'm pretty sure that this is supposed to mean mass death. Incidentally, who starts the carnage? Why, it is "one like a Son of Man, with a golden crown on his head, and a sharp sickle in his hand." (Rev 14:14)

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

I'm struggling to see why we're so appalled by IS if we see God like this.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
So poor old Andrew, Justin and George get demonised, while there's not a peep in the OP about the warmongering, sadistic sexual violence and death-cult of IS. Funny old world, isn't it? [Smile]

Yes, how dare every single article about violence not mention every single violent person or group? [Disappointed]

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

Hear.

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Given that, it is extremely hard to take seriously claims by religious leaders that "this" conflict is going to turn out any different to all those other bad conflicts in the last 20 years.

This is a fair point. However, it is a practical point, not one of principle. And as far as human practice is concerned, we should be careful not to demand perfection as necessary condition for action. Humans rarely fail to fail, but that does not relieve us from the duty to keep trying.

quote:
quote:
I expect Jesus would have stepped in within a civilian setting, if necessary with deadly force, where innocent life was under threat and the defence would have done more good than harm.

Oh, hang on, what? Jesus was not defending innocent life against an assailant there, he was messing with the Jewish sentencing of someone who was guilty (and deserved death, in terms of normal judicial practice), when placed into the position of a judge by Mosaic law. That's very interesting, but also very much a different matter.

Anyway, if you want to sit on your haunches in front of some ISIS unit, drawing in the dust to stop them - why don't you just go right ahead?

quote:
This is a fair point. However, it is a practical point, not one of principle. And as far as human practice is concerned, we should be careful not to demand perfection as necessary condition for action. Humans rarely fail to fail, but that does not relieve us from the duty to keep trying.

Madness is repeatedly trying things that don't work and expecting the results to be different.

quote:

Because IS is not God, and only God is master of life and death.

I'm struggling to see why we would worship God if we think that we can judge Him on equal terms with human groups.

quote:
Anyway, if you want to sit on your haunches in front of some ISIS unit, drawing in the dust to stop them - why don't you just go right ahead?

I didn't say it would stop them. I said it was following the example of Christ.

quote:

I'm struggling to see why we would worship God if we think that we can judge Him on equal terms with human groups.

Right, but surely the point is that if we can't discount the actions of IS as inherently ungodly (i.e. God wouldn't ask people to do shit like that, because that's nasty and God isn't), then what standard can we use to measure the IS claim that they are working for the deity? Doesn't that take out one simple plank?

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
The NT taken as a whole suggests Jesus will kill a multitude of people when His kingdom comes. Do I think Jesus would use violence to prevent ISIS from committing genocide if Jesus was an earthly ruler. My answer based on scripture, tradition, and reason is absolutely he would.

I am not a pacifist, but I cannot agree with this. Do I think Jesus will judge people? Yes. Do I think that His judgement is just like our violence? No, I don't. It is ridiculous and obscene, IMO, to imagine Jesus sanctioning the use of bombs, etc.

quote:

It does make one wonder. [Eek!]

I don't think we're wrong to resist someone who is trying to impose extreme violence on us, and I don't believe Jesus thinks we're wrong to resist. But I baulk, I truly baulk, at projecting our own awful violence back onto Him. Sheesh, He's not called the Prince of Peace for nothing!!!

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Yes, how dare every single article about violence not mention every single violent person or group? [Disappointed]

Martin's outrage seems to give the impression that the likes of Andrew White are no better than IS. [Disappointed]

quote:
Martin's outrage seems to give the impression that the likes of Andrew White are no better than IS. [Disappointed]

That's quite unfair. One can obviously object vociferously about Andrew White, particularly from within his faith community, without suggesting he is actually the same as IS, the Nazis or whoever.

I think Andrew White is a genuine guy, when I met him he was nice to me. But I think he is totally wrong on most of what he says about Iraq. That doesn't mean he is on the same moral level as IS.

quote:
That's quite unfair. One can obviously object vociferously about Andrew White, particularly from within his faith community, without suggesting he is actually the same as IS, the Nazis or whoever.

I think Andrew White is a genuine guy, when I met him he was nice to me. But I think he is totally wrong on most of what he says about Iraq. That doesn't mean he is on the same moral level as IS.

Indeed not, but why are you saying this to me? [Confused] It's Martin who thinks White is the warmonger. I think nothing of the sort. (And I wouldn't necessarily agree with White on Iraq either, for the record).

quote:
quote:

And I struggle to see why we would worship a bloodthirsty, sadistic, homicidal maniac God.

quote:
quote:

Right, but surely the point is that if we can't discount the actions of IS as inherently ungodly (i.e. God wouldn't ask people to do shit like that, because that's nasty and God isn't), then what standard can we use to measure the IS claim that they are working for the deity? Doesn't that take out one simple plank?
Exactly. If we allow that Joshua was acting for God, we cannot inherently discount the possibility that IS, doing much the same sort of thing, are also doing so. Not to mention Elijah's bit of religious murder of the prophets of Baal.

But we've been here before so often that I wonder it's not been declared a dead horse.

[ 04. August 2015, 16:04: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

quote:
Indeed not, but why are you saying this to me? [Confused] It's Martin who thinks White is the warmonger. I think nothing of the sort. (And I wouldn't necessarily agree with White on Iraq either, for the record).

You seemed to suggest that Martin thinks White is the same morally as IS. I don't think that is the case, and indeed I object to this characterisation of a position you find unpalatable.

quote:
Madness is repeatedly trying things that don't work and expecting the results to be different.

Who says that wars do not work? Of course they do. They may not tick all the idealistic boxes you have for them (or indeed they may be waged by people who intend to have rather different boxes ticked than you do). But there is little doubt that wars can achieve aims, and quite consistently so if one wins them.

What exactly do you expect to happen anyway if all military resistance to IS ceases? And just how principled are you about the non-militaristic approach? If re-reconquista comes to caliphate, would you rather be dhimmi than dead?

quote:
quote:

The story you reference likely wasn't in the original manuscript. I mention that because textual criticism is important to some wanting to argue that the historical Jesus was really the paragon of their cultural ideal until Paul and the Vatican distorted his message. Assuming the story was in the original manuscript, which I'm happy to do, it has no relevance to this topic. Are you arguing that Jesus would have continued to draw in the dust while the men stoned the woman? Should all men watch as other men kill women if verbal interventions fail? What about the police? Modern feminism as well as old fashioned chivalry both answer with a resounding no.

quote:
Who says that wars do not work? Of course they do. They may not tick all the idealistic boxes you have for them (or indeed they may be waged by people who intend to have rather different boxes ticked than you do). But there is little doubt that wars can achieve aims, and quite consistently so if one wins them.

Please illustrate how wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have achieved aims by the Western powers that 'won' them.

ISTM that modern wars have absolutely never achieved the aims of protecting the innocent, because modern warfare is unable to do that.

quote:
What exactly do you expect to happen anyway if all military resistance to IS ceases? And just how principled are you about the non-militaristic approach? If re-reconquista comes to caliphate, would you rather be dhimmi than dead?
That is a mix of different questions. For me, the logical question is to ask about our own motives and then to think of something that would actually work for the benefit of the innocent people caught up in the problem. In my view, a hi-tech military reaction would not achieve the ends of enfranchising and protecting the innocent.

quote:
Modern feminism as well as old fashioned chivalry both answer with a resounding no.

I'm sure you're right. How would Jesus answer?

quote:
You seemed to suggest that Martin thinks White is the same morally as IS. I don't think that is the case, and indeed I object to this characterisation of a position you find unpalatable.

Fair enough. [Cool]

quote:
quote:
Modern feminism as well as old fashioned chivalry both answer with a resounding no.

[Smile]

Jesus said he had 12 legions of angels at His disposal, in Gethsamene. He chose not to employ them because He would not avoid the Cross. Who's to say He wouldn't have called on them, to protect that poor woman if the vengeful mob had ignored Him and tried to stone her?

I think He would have stopped them, yes - but not using our methods. Specifically not our violent methods.

quote:
quote:

Answer what?

quote:
originally posted by Laurelin:
Who's to say He wouldn't have called on them, to protect that poor woman if the vengeful mob had ignored Him and tried to stone her?

He may have. How would the angels have protected the woman? Scripture suggests by some form of violence most likely involving fire.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

Have you noticed that the three links go back to mid 2014?

Canon White has been out of Iraq since November 2014, for security reasons.

Posted by Pomona (# 17175) on :

Laurelin - so Jesus' condemnation of killing is just to be ignored? It seems baffling to me how often evangelicals feel that Jesus' words on pacifism and poverty are just irrelevant to us. You either obey Jesus or you don't, surely?

Us not funding the arms industry would be a nice start.

Evangelicals at least bother to provide a proof text when making claims about the clear teaching of Jesus. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
He may have. How would the angels have protected the woman? Scripture suggests by some form of violence most likely involving fire.

Yet Jesus rebukes James and John for wanting to call down fire on the unrepentant towns. Upthread I referred to the Son to using a different (and higher) way to OT methods of divine justice. (I don't think that puts me in Club Marcion, but come on - there is a different tone and higher teaching introduced with the New Covenant).

Maybe the angels would have thrown a protective shield around her. (Oh boy - how very Harry Potter! But a similar thing seems to have happened when an angry crowd wanted to push Jesus over a cliff and He just walks calmly through them.)

quote:
Evangelicals at least bother to provide a proof text when making claims about the clear teaching of Jesus. [Roll Eyes]

Of course they don't go all the way and provide nearly-always-existent equal and opposite proof-text, by way of intellectual honesty. Then again neither do non-evangelicals often admit the merits of their opposition. It's like people become absolute assholes when arguing about something. Go figure.

But to show you the Son of Man has power on earth to condemn killing, he said to the paralytic,

Matthew 26:52 “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword.”

Matthew 5:44 “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you”

Matthew 5:21-22 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.”

Matthew 5:38-39 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

'Evangelical' is probably unfair, since there are certainly evangelical pacifists and evangelicals committed to spiritual and other kinds of poverty. But why is it that the most prominent Christian pacifists I know are Catholic (Pax Christi)?

quote:
quote:

Yet Jesus rebukes James and John for wanting to call down fire on the unrepentant towns. Upthread I referred to the Son to using a different (and higher) way to OT methods of divine justice. (I don't think that puts me in Club Marcion, but come on - there is a different tone and higher teaching introduced with the New Covenant).

Maybe the angels would have thrown a protective shield around her. (Oh boy - how very Harry Potter! But a similar thing seems to have happened when an angry crowd wanted to push Jesus over a cliff and He just walks calmly through them.)

Jesus came to offer salvation to the world but constantly warns that those who fail to accept the offer will be judged harshly. I don't rule out universal salvation and in fact hope and pray for the salvation of all but there is precious little biblical support for it beyond a few proof texts. Annihilationism has more support from scripture, IMO.

That said. What does that have to do with the use of violence in defense of others? The cities that refused to repent weren't threatening anybody with immediate violence. Is there an example from scripture of angels using shields?

quote:
precious little biblical support for it beyond a few proof texts.

The irony! The irony! It burns!

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

Surely the question of whether the Old Testament revealed a vengeful God, and the New Testament revealed God's compassion (or however you want to express the contrast) is best answered with reference to those who only have the Old Testament - I mean of course the Jews ...

It wasn't Jesus IngoB.

quote:
quote:
precious little biblical support for it beyond a few proof texts.

The irony! The irony! It burns!
No, I've repeatedly said scripture taken as a whole. I've yet to see anybody arguing for pacifism engage with the significant amount of scripture that contradicts the claim. Doing so means accepting Marcionism as orthodoxy and even then you have to ignore large portions of scripture.

quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Laurelin - so Jesus' condemnation of killing is just to be ignored?

I could probably choose to be a pacifist for my own sake. I think I would find it an impossible position to take on behalf of others. That doesn't mean I think Jesus is OK with us killing people.

quote:
You either obey Jesus or you don't, surely?
As if any of us find that easy. This is why one of my heroes is Bonhoeffer - his life and death illustrate these kinds of moral complexities. A man who felt led to try to kill Hitler. Sums up the dilemma well.

quote:
Fine by me!

quote:
Is there an example from scripture of angels using shields?

Of course not, which I'm sure you know. [Smile]

I believe He would have stopped the men from stoning the woman, and would have done so. Heck - He did so!

quote:
It wasn't Jesus IngoB.

Where does Jesus contradict John? Why would Luke who was trying to establish John as the forerunner of Jesus mention a teaching of John diametrically opposed to what Jesus taught? Was John a false prophet? The church does not recognize John as a false prophet. Marcion on the other hand...

[ 04. August 2015, 19:48: Message edited by: Beeswax Altar ]

quote:
No, I've repeatedly said scripture taken as a whole. I've yet to see anybody arguing for pacifism engage with the significant amount of scripture that contradicts the claim. Doing so means accepting Marcionism as orthodoxy and even then you have to ignore large portions of scripture.

Surely the texts quoted by mousethief upthread present a pretty powerful case against killing ... words directly from the Master Himself. [Confused] Taking Scripture as a whole surely also means regarding Jesus' interpretation of the Torah as definitive.

I take the Bible's teaching on judgment seriously. That doesn't mean I literally see Jesus as a killer.

I respect pacifists, and I think they have a genuine biblical case to make.

I just can't be one myself.

quote:
quote:
Laurelin - so Jesus' condemnation of killing is just to be ignored?

I could probably choose to be a pacifist for my own sake. I think I would find it an impossible position to take on behalf of others. That doesn't mean I think Jesus is OK with us killing people.

quote:
You either obey Jesus or you don't, surely?
As if any of us find that easy. This is why one of my heroes is Bonhoeffer - his life and death illustrate these kinds of moral complexities. A man who felt led to try to kill Hitler. Sums up the dilemma well.

quote:
Fine by me!

quote:
Is there an example from scripture of angels using shields?

Of course not, which I'm sure you know. [Smile]

I believe He would have stopped the men from stoning the woman, and would have done so. Heck - He did so!

I understand that it is difficult and that things are complex....but then you get into 'did God really say to do that' territory. I mean, I can admire Bonhoeffer and still think it was wrong for him to try to kill Hitler. I just find it a bit puzzling that the command to not kill is brushed aside like that - not saying you're brushing it aside, but that the articles in the opening post seem to be (and other Christian non-pacifists do). I can understand accepting war as the better of two evils, but that does mean accepting it as an evil and not calling it a just war. It's never just, it can only be less unjust.

Which one of Mousthiefs proof texts address use of violence by a ruler against those doing evil? All of his texts from Matthew deal with revenge, murder, and hatred in interpersonal relationships. Again, Jesus on multiple occasions uses rulers using violence to describe the kingdom of heaven and never implies the violence in the OT was wrong. Paul confirms that in Romans 12. Add to that John's command to the soldiers and the case for pacifism from scripture crumbles.

What impresses me is how long you will fight this losing battle. Lost for two thousand years actually. Till you die. Long after I do. You and IngoB. But love wins mate. Even though it won't, can't for two hundred thousand. There will be people like you regarding the bible and its one God as an indecipherable flat cookbook. When ...

quote:
I understand that it is difficult and that things are complex....but then you get into 'did God really say to do that' territory.

The 'did God really say?' challenge applies to quite a few things.

I'm not sure I think Bonhoeffer was correct to join in the assassination plot either. It doesn't lessen my admiration for him though.

quote:
I can understand accepting war as the better of two evils, but that does mean accepting it as an evil and not calling it a just war. It's never just, it can only be less unjust.
I've said nowhere in this thread that I support the idea of a 'just war', I'm not sure I believe there is such a thing. Even regarding WW2, which is perhaps the only war I find morally justifiable, because of the huge threat that the Reich represented. My position is that war is regrettably sometimes a necessary evil ... and I can think of at least one Dead Horse issue which would also fall into that category.

quote:
Which one of Mousthiefs proof texts address use of violence by a ruler against those doing evil? All of his texts from Matthew deal with revenge, murder, and hatred in interpersonal relationships. Again, Jesus on multiple occasions uses rulers using violence to describe the kingdom of heaven and never implies the violence in the OT was wrong. Paul confirms that in Romans 12. Add to that John's command to the soldiers and the case for pacifism from scripture crumbles.

I'm having a mighty hard time, though, trying to reconcile Jesus of Nazareth supporting the killing of Canaanite babies. I truly, truly am.
(John's command to the soldiers? Sorry, I don't get the reference ...)

I see the actions of the state as totally separate from the kingdom of God. Perhaps I'm straying into Luther's concept of the two kingdoms here. I do see the state as being subject to the sovereignty of God, which is why I can read Romans 13 and not blow a gasket. [Biased] And it's why I don't think that it's wrong for Christians to serve in the army, or in counter-intelligence.

But I do NOT see the state as being synonymous with God's rule. (Especially as the state can be, and often is, anti-God.)

The idea of Jesus picking sides in any war is ludicrous and obscene. We can't co-opt Him for our nationalisms and pathologies. But that doesn't mean I think we were wrong to declare war on the Third Reich. Poland had been invaded, people were suffering, a whole programme of genocide was about to be unleashed. The aggressor puts everyone in a difficult position.

Bonhoeffer was wrong. And he knew it. I'm not fit to cut the piano wire from around his neck and wipe the piss and shit and cum from his naked body. Jesus will. Before introducing him to his torturers and Hitler.

As for the Jews of the Warsaw Ghetto, I look forward to toasting their courage in the Resurrection. As I'm sure the overwhelmingly Christian Waffen SS will. And Hitler again.

quote:
What impresses me is how long you will fight this losing battle. Lost for two thousand years actually. Till you die. Long after I do. You and IngoB. But love wins mate. Even though it won't, can't for two hundred thousand. There will be people like you regarding the bible and its one God as an indecipherable flat cookbook. When ...

Do you honestly believe that the human race will ever lose its war gene? You might as well tell people to stop arguing on a messageboard. [Biased]

The only way to eliminate the violence within us is through spiritual regeneration, and I'm not convinced that everybody actually wants this. I'm not convinced that everybody wants to be on board with the peaceful, better way of Jesus. There will be groups like IS for as long as the human race is around.

quote:
As I'm sure the overwhelmingly Christian Waffen SS will. And Hitler again.

All I can say is that your religious fantasies differ from mine. I share Beeswax's hope of universal salvation but I'm not sure that it's guaranteed, especially for people who are unrepentant: Scripture rather indicates otherwise. We're back to Pomona's 'Did God really say?' again.

Sorry Laurelin - I meant the articles linked talking about a just war, not you.

There is some question whether Bonhoeffer really was involved in the plot, I understand - but I don't understand why so many of you think he was wrong to try to assassinate Hitler (if he actually did).

Looks like you're successfully repressing yours Laurelin. We can all do it. In hindsight. Having lived long enough to learn through suffering, especially the suffering of others. Without it we wouldn't be human. We'll ALWAYS have it. The evolution is of our collective consciousness, and no, NOT in the Jungian sense. In the sense of mastering, transcending, co-operating with and in and over our unenlightened fear responses.

Like primitive, reptile brain, legalistic, literalist, damnationism of ANY and every kind.

Love wins is another way of saying Jesus saves, a tautology I know. That the evolution of consciousness we see throughout the Bible, catalysed exponentially in Christ, continues. It can't not. In the Spirit poured out on ALL flesh.

Jesus SAVES. Not in some magic spell we cast in this evanescent blink of weakness and ignorance. He will yet save the Jews and SS of Warsaw, Bonhoeffer and IS, our fully human ancestors of two hundred thousand years and sapient cousins of four hundred thousand. Two hundred billion and counting.

If He can't, then He's no saviour. He's worse than useless. Except for the tiny fraction of humanity 'lucky' enough to be terrified in to saying the sinner's prayer as fire insurance.

Jesus. If He is the murderer of the Amalekites, I can't know Him.

No one can. Ever. If His war gene is unrestrained, is somehow ineffably justified in His mind, there can be no hope for ours.

When Andrew, Justin and George repent and lead as true shepherds, there will be hope. But they won't. They can't. It's not their fault. They are fecklessly innocent. JUST like IS and the SS.

Jesus will save them too. In the Resurrection. From their ignorance and weakness. From fear narratives.

Jesus SAVES.

quote:
There is some question whether Bonhoeffer really was involved in the plot, I understand - but I don't understand why so many of you think he was wrong to try to assassinate Hitler (if he actually did).

There's this little verse here.

Oh right. It is a theological position held by people who think war is OK but assassination of the instigator of the holocaust is not. Riiight.

Laurelin

You posted recently that scripture has a trajectory. A somewhat meandering one, no doubt. But I think it is possible to argue that the journey from killing enemies to loving enemies reveals a growing and changing human understanding of God. From tribal God above all Gods to the One God and Father of us all.

I'm not sure if the trajectory understanding is an acceptable view of revelation in scripture as Catholics see it. Nor is it the traditional evangelical view. As it happens, it's my view. I think Marcion was wrong to see two Gods, of course, but we've always tended to argue that what was hidden in the OT is revealed in the NT. So I think trajectory understandings are reasonable consistent both with the content of scripture and earlier understandings as well.

The tensions over pacifism tend to reveal these underlying differences over trajectory. As I understand him, Martin60 sees the ultimate end of this trajectory, that God will be all in all, as a command to eschew all violence today.

I think these are also different responses to the underlying dilemma of the human tendency to violence. The kingdom is both now, and not yet. So we differ over the outworking of "your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven'. Ends and means?

quote:
Oh right. It is a theological position held by people who think war is OK but assassination of the instigator of the holocaust is not. Riiight.

Whom are you sarcasting here? I never suggested war is OK. I disagree with just war theory for the same reason I think assassinating anybody is sinful. However I also believe that sometimes we have to choose the lesser of two evils. Sometimes we don't get a choice between something that's sinful and something that's not. Sometimes every option we have before us will result in us transgressing God's will for humanity in some way. But this is taking us far afield perhaps from the question at hand.

quote:
Whom are you sarcasting here? I never suggested war is OK. I disagree with just war theory for the same reason I think assassinating anybody is sinful. However I also believe that sometimes we have to choose the lesser of two evils. Sometimes we don't get a choice between something that's sinful and something that's not. Sometimes every option we have before us will result in us transgressing God's will for humanity in some way. But this is taking us far afield perhaps from the question at hand.

That's fair. I wasn't "sarcasting" you, but the attitude which (maybe) exists above your comment that war is fine but assassination of Hitler is not, based on a bible verse.

Au contraire mousethief. That takes us to the question's bleading edge.

Barnabas62 – thanks, great post. [Smile] You and I seem to be on the same page. Yes, I do think there is a trajectory. Definitely.

quote:
Looks like you're successfully repressing yours Laurelin.

Please don't presume to tell me what I am, or am not, repressing. Thanks.

quote:
No one can. Ever. If His war gene is unrestrained, is somehow ineffably justified in His mind, there can be no hope for ours.
I get you. But then you lose me with this:

quote:
When Andrew, Justin and George repent and lead as true shepherds, there will be hope. But they won't. They can't. It's not their fault. They are fecklessly innocent. JUST like IS and the SS.
IS and the SS are not fecklessly innocent. [Mad] I can't stand this kind of moral flat-lining. We don't have to fall into the trap of demonising or 'othering' people whilst still finding their crimes abhorrent. (And why is it all up to Andrew, Justin and George? They're not the only voices around.)

quote:
...I also believe that sometimes we have to choose the lesser of two evils. Sometimes we don't get a choice between something that's sinful and something that's not. Sometimes every option we have before us will result in us transgressing God's will for humanity in some way. But this is taking us far afield perhaps from the question at hand.

No, I don’t think it’s taking us far afield. I agree with Martin that this is on point and pretty much at the heart of the matter.

I think it does, Martin60.

There is an understanding that martyrdom is a calling. One to which not everyone is called.

For all those in Rome who were martyred, there were others, who worshiped in secret, found ways of co-existing with the oppression all around them, and also helped to keep the flame alive. It seems likely that some of them were soldiers, some slaves.

It seems to me wrong to draw distinctions about who found the better way. We weren't in their shoes.

From the immortal line in "A Man for all Seasons", we are all called to serve the Lord wittily, in the tangle of our minds. If those tangled minds come up with different answers sometimes, that isn't surprising. As mousethief, accurately, observed, life can get pretty tangled sometimes.

PS

I think the "survival" principle is nicely illustrated by this, from 2 Kings 5, re Naamon the healed leper and army commander.

quote:
18 But may the Lord forgive your servant for this one thing: When my master enters the temple of Rimmon to bow down and he is leaning on my arm and I have to bow there also—when I bow down in the temple of Rimmon, may the Lord forgive your servant for this.”

19 “Go in peace,” Elisha said.

I like that "go in peace" very much. Naamon needed to work out his own tangle, somehow. As do we all.

Posted by Luigi (# 4031) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Laurelin

You posted recently that scripture has a trajectory. A somewhat meandering one, no doubt. But I think it is possible to argue that the journey from killing enemies to loving enemies reveals a growing and changing human understanding of God. From tribal God above all Gods to the One God and Father of us all.

I'm not sure if the trajectory understanding is an acceptable view of revelation in scripture as Catholics see it. Nor is it the traditional evangelical view. As it happens, it's my view. I think Marcion was wrong to see two Gods, of course, but we've always tended to argue that what was hidden in the OT is revealed in the NT. So I think trajectory understandings are reasonable consistent both with the content of scripture and earlier understandings as well.

The tensions over pacifism tend to reveal these underlying differences over trajectory. As I understand him, Martin60 sees the ultimate end of this trajectory, that God will be all in all, as a command to eschew all violence today.

I think these are also different responses to the underlying dilemma of the human tendency to violence. The kingdom is both now, and not yet. So we differ over the outworking of "your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven'. Ends and means?

Good one Barnabus. In my experience making some sort of sense of this trajectory is a very long journey and it throws up all sorts of further questions.

quote:

No, it wouldn't be. If there was an IS caliphate, and you were a dhimmi subject in it, then Christ's actions in the gospel might provide a direct pattern for yours. But that's not the situation you find yourself in.

quote:

The only sure counter for the faith that one works for God is an opposing faith that one does not. It is ultimately impossible to argue this, just as it is impossible to argue with solipsism. It's a closed system.

However, I do believe that we can see what improves human flourishing, by observing human life - and violence and war generally do not help. They are, at best, "therapeutic" in the sense of removing a greater evil. At worst, they ruin the lives of everybody, including of the supposed victors. And in between we find the majority of cases, where the lot of one group of people is improved at the expense of another group. Now, I believe a coherent religious view of God has to take this into account, i.e., how humans flourish in an everyday, average sense cannot be independent of God's will. But this limits how much violence and war one can possibly attribute to God's will, if God is to be coherent.

In summary, I believe that one can reasonably argue that attributing violence and war to God has to be a special and rare occasion, and furthermore, that such violence and war has to point to some goal beyond itself (cannot be a good just in and by itself). Otherwise this becomes incoherent with the will of God we see at work in people's everyday lives.

Now, I'm not familiar enough with the ideological claims of IS to say whether they would satisfy these conditions. If not, then I think one can validly argue against their faith. But if they do, then I indeed think that moral accusations against them are basically pointless. An exceptional mission from God cannot be logically blocked by everyday rules from God. Then it really boils down to faith vs. faith, i.e., it's the fact that I think their prophet is false, and on top of that, that their interpretation of their prophet's teaching is likely also false, which allows me to reject their claim to have an exceptional mission from God. This however leaves the realm of reasoned argument, and basically sets will against will.

quote:
Please illustrate how wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have achieved aims by the Western powers that 'won' them.

The war in Afghanistan pushed back the Russian sphere of influence in this area, and the war in Iraq secured further access to the oil of that region (directly, and by showing the surrounding countries who is boss). These obvious goals of the Western powers were achieved, whether one considers the price to be paid for them to be too high or not.

quote:
ISTM that modern wars have absolutely never achieved the aims of protecting the innocent, because modern warfare is unable to do that.

Possibly, but this need not be the actual goal of a modern war. Politicians, it turns out, cannot always be trusted in what they say about their aims. As far as just wars are concerned, it is not a condition for their justice that all innocents will be protected, merely that lesser evil will result.

quote:
It wasn't Jesus IngoB.

It wasn't the 2nd Person of the Trinity as human being, that's correct. But on orthodox principles it sure as heck was the 2nd Person of the Trinity as much as the other two members, and it sure as heck was the very same 2nd Person of the Trinity which as human being you happen to call Jesus. To set Jesus apart from the OT violence commanded or indeed carried out directly by God makes just about as much sense as saying "it wasn't me who hit you, it was my fist". To get away with this nonsensical separation is possible in one way, and one way only, and that's why you are a committed member of Club Marcion.

quote:
I just find it a bit puzzling that the command to not kill is brushed aside like that - not saying you're brushing it aside, but that the articles in the opening post seem to be (and other Christian non-pacifists do).

There is no command to "not kill" in the Judaeo-Christian tradition. What is forbidden is unlawful and/or immoral killing, i.e., what is commonly called "murder". A better translation of the commandment is hence "Thou shalt not murder", and yes, that is well within the range of meaning of the Hebrew word. Think about it, quite apart from incessant warfare, the Jews were stoning people to death. Do you really think that the Scribes and Pharisees considered that to be at odds with God's explicit commandment? And they weren't exactly sloppy with scripture.

quote:
There will be people like you regarding the bible and its one God as an indecipherable flat cookbook.

There will be people like you regarding the bible and its one God as a conversation starter for the decisions that they will make themselves by their own lights. They were there from the very beginning, and their delightful conversation is always helpfully enlightened by the Angel of Light.

quote:
I've said nowhere in this thread that I support the idea of a 'just war', I'm not sure I believe there is such a thing. ... My position is that war is regrettably sometimes a necessary evil ...

Have you ever bothered finding out what the actual definition of a "just war" happens to be in Christian tradition? It pretty much is that of an unwanted but necessary evil:
It is not "just" in the sense of something to strive for, it is "just" in the sense of not being strictly forbidden by faith and morals!

quote:
The idea of Jesus picking sides in any war is ludicrous and obscene. We can't co-opt Him for our nationalisms and pathologies. But that doesn't mean I think we were wrong to declare war on the Third Reich.

That doesn't make any sense. If a group of human beings were right in waging war against the Nazis, then the fully human being Jesus Christ obviously would pick the side of that group of human beings. What do you think Jesus would be doing? Would He be saying: "Oh sorry, I'm too Divine to be bothered with such ugly nitty-gritty of human existence. You do what you mere humans think is right. Get back to me when you are done, and we will get back to more Divine matters." That's ... well, I'm not sure what that is. Gnostic, perhaps.

quote:
There's this little verse here.

And the killing of a mass murdering tyrant is evil according to what Christian scripture or doctrine, please?

The indenting is counter-intuitive, how we get round that I have no idea. It would be simpler if I just indented with ellipses.
quote:

quote:
Martin60: Looks like you're successfully repressing yours Laurelin.
Laurelin: Please don't presume to tell me what I am, or am not, repressing. Thanks.

That was a complement thanks. And that's passive aggression in response to yours. Thanks. [Biased] That we need to fully EXpress. With a higher narrative. To be able to work through our war gene expression.
quote:

quote:
Martin: No one can. Ever. If His war gene is unrestrained, is somehow ineffably justified in His mind, there can be no hope for ours.
Laurelin: I get you. But then you lose me with this:
quote:
Martin: When Andrew, Justin and George repent and lead as true shepherds, there will be hope. But they won't. They can't. It's not their fault. They are fecklessly innocent. JUST like IS and the SS.
Laurelin: IS and the SS are not fecklessly innocent. [Mad]

We ALL are. All. IN our fecklessness, we are innocent. We have been for at least two hundred thousand years.
quote:
Laurelin: I can't stand this kind of moral flat-lining.
I mean the other kind.
quote:
Laurelin: We don't have to fall into the trap of demonising or 'othering' people whilst still finding their crimes abhorrent.
Absolutely.
quote:
Laurelin: (And why is it all up to Andrew, Justin and George? They're not the only voices around.)
They are regarded as leaders. Christian leaders.

quote:
quote:
...I also believe that sometimes we have to choose the lesser of two evils.
Sometimes we don't get a choice between something that's sinful and something that's not.
Sometimes every option we have before us will result in us transgressing God's will for humanity in some way.
But this is taking us far afield perhaps from the question at hand.

No, I don’t think it’s taking us far afield. I agree with Martin that this is on point and pretty much at the heart of the matter.
I have to posit disagreement with mousethief there.
Bonhoeffer utterly understandably, heroically acted on his own recognizance.
He went beyond what is known in Christ.
It could be said he regressed.
The military do.

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62: I think it does, Martin60.

There is an understanding that martyrdom is a calling. One to which not everyone is called. [/QB]

Not mine. Understanding or calling. Until the moment it happens.

quote:
Barnabas62: For all those in Rome who were martyred, there were others, who worshiped in secret, found ways of co-existing with the oppression all around them, and also helped to keep the flame alive.
It seems likely that some of them were soldiers, some slaves.

Of course. And there were some who co-existed without keeping the subversive flame alive.

quote:
Barnabas62: It seems to me wrong to draw distinctions about who found the better way. We weren't in their shoes.
Absolutely. Who'd dream of doing that?

quote:
Barnabas62: From the immortal line in "A Man for all Seasons", we are all called to serve the Lord wittily, in the tangle of our minds.
If those tangled minds come up with different answers sometimes, that isn't surprising.
As mousethief, accurately, observed, life can get pretty tangled sometimes.

Mine certainly is. So are Andrew's, Justin's and George's.

And IngoB, it was JTB, who, like Mary, isn't a member of the Trinity.

quote:
quote:

No, it wouldn't be. If there was an IS caliphate, and you were a dhimmi subject in it, then Christ's actions in the gospel might provide a direct pattern for yours. But that's not the situation you find yourself in.
Then we disagree fundamentally. At best, we agree on the basis of scripture, and disagree on the basis of the Holy Spirit. But the disagreement is still there.

So - how many men, women and children would you kill to stop an idea like IS? You don't have to give an exact number - a rough estimate will do. Also, how many lives are you willing to sacrifice to accomplish the task? Your own? Your children's?

This is not an abstract conversation. Figures would be useful.

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pomona:
The idea of Jesus picking sides in any war is ludicrous and obscene. We can't co-opt Him for our nationalisms and pathologies. But that doesn't mean I think we were wrong to declare war on the Third Reich.

IngoB, I said that, not Pomona. And I don't mean that Jesus would look askance at people who fight other people who are hellbent on genocide. I still wouldn't want to claim the Jesus stamp of approval for, say, Dresden.

quote:
And the killing of a mass murdering tyrant is evil according to what Christian scripture or doctrine, please?
This wasn't addresssed to me, but having wavered like a weather vane in this thread, I am not sure that it would be evil. Which leads me back to Bonhoeffer ...

quote:
We ALL are. All. IN our fecklessness, we are innocent. We have been for at least two hundred thousand years.

We are not innocent when we knowingly do wrong and horrible things. That doesn't make any of us potentially beyond redemption, but it does mean that we act like adults and face up to the darkness within. To say that IS and their ilk are 'fecklessly innocent' is offensive. No, they are not.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

And that He would not and should not be co-opted into our various pathologies does not mean that He is not, every single day of the year. Of the persons running for the GOP presidential nomination, I believe that more than half claim that God Himself told them to run. The inconsistency of this doesn't slow a one of them down for a moment.

quote:

However, I do believe that we can see what improves human flourishing, by observing human life - and violence and war generally do not help. They are, at best, "therapeutic" in the sense of removing a greater evil. At worst, they ruin the lives of everybody, including of the supposed victors. And in between we find the majority of cases, where the lot of one group of people is improved at the expense of another group. Now, I believe a coherent religious view of God has to take this into account, i.e., how humans flourish in an everyday, average sense cannot be independent of God's will. But this limits how much violence and war one can possibly attribute to God's will, if God is to be coherent.

In summary, I believe that one can reasonably argue that attributing violence and war to God has to be a special and rare occasion, and furthermore, that such violence and war has to point to some goal beyond itself (cannot be a good just in and by itself). Otherwise this becomes incoherent with the will of God we see at work in people's everyday lives.

Now, I'm not familiar enough with the ideological claims of IS to say whether they would satisfy these conditions. If not, then I think one can validly argue against their faith. But if they do, then I indeed think that moral accusations against them are basically pointless. An exceptional mission from God cannot be logically blocked by everyday rules from God. Then it really boils down to faith vs. faith, i.e., it's the fact that I think their prophet is false, and on top of that, that their interpretation of their prophet's teaching is likely also false, which allows me to reject their claim to have an exceptional mission from God. This however leaves the realm of reasoned argument, and basically sets will against will.

I prefer to know them by their fruit. Those who use the tools of violence recklessly and non-discriminately have nothing to do with the God of love. If we think that these, or the Crusades or Gideon or anyone else who uses a God-claim to commit genocide is godly, we're wrong.

Furthermore, being prepared to use violence to overthrow a state that has a different view to you on a subject (and who refuses to kowtow to your relgious objection) as you've stated in another thread is pretty dangerous, in my opinion.

quote:
That's tyrannical - and as for every tyrant, it is then just to resist you and remove you from power, if necessary by force.
And that doesn't even appear to be a verbal flourish, you really do seem to believe that abortion might justify violence.

link to thread

[ 05. August 2015, 14:02: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

quote:
m having a mighty hard time, though, trying to reconcile Jesus of Nazareth supporting the killing of Canaanite babies. I truly, truly am.

I don't know why. Jesus makes it clear on several occasions that the Jews were God's chosen people. Why not expect God to favor Israel over their neighbors in the brutal fight for cultural survival that existed in the ancient world. The Hittites once ruled a vast empire. When was the last known sacrifice to Inara?

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

quote:
'Evangelical' is probably unfair, since there are certainly evangelical pacifists and evangelicals committed to spiritual and other kinds of poverty. But why is it that the most prominent Christian pacifists I know are Catholic (Pax Christi)?

You haven't met the strong tradition of Welsh Nonconformist pacifism, then? Mind you, five minutes with them makes me want to join the army.

quote:
quote:
m having a mighty hard time, though, trying to reconcile Jesus of Nazareth supporting the killing of Canaanite babies. I truly, truly am.

I don't know why. Jesus makes it clear on several occasions that the Jews were God's chosen people. Why not expect God to favor Israel over their neighbors in the brutal fight for cultural survival that existed in the ancient world. The Hittites once ruled a vast empire. When was the last known sacrifice to Inara?
Because we don't believe God to be a racist, valuing some people more than others because of their ethnicity. Especially to the point of genocide.

This God I could only possibly worship out of terror and fear, whilst hiding my disgust.

[ 05. August 2015, 17:37: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Laurelin.

NONE of them, no one, not Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Churchill, Truman or any who followed their orders and none from the pre-modern age, when they are saved, when their lives are redeemed, deconstructed, reconstructed, however that occurs, and it will, in the Resurrection, would do the abominable evils that they did again. Neither will I. Or IS. Even Satan himself may find repentance. How could he not?

I dread to think.

I call our fall from ignorant, helpless innocence to the utter irredeemable loss of it in this life, feckless innocence until someone gives me a better word.

What are we 'guilty' of? Evolving? And YES being sapient, moral beings we MUST take full responsibility for our evil. Even though we are NOT responsible. At all.

God is.

Love is.

And wins. Fixes it.

Jesus SAVES.

No, the God of scripture and tradition doesn't always conform to cultural expectations. Personally, I don't have a problem with that. Postmodernism allows for an infinite number of gods. I used to have my own personal, postmodern God. Then, I admitted to myself that I was just making up my god as I went along. Made up gods are called idols. I see no reason to go through the motions of worshiping an idol of my own making.

You sub-contract that out to Bronze and Iron Age savages.

quote:
I see no reason to go through the motions of worshiping an idol of my own making.

And yet we all do, inasmuch as we emphasize in our own minds certain bits of Scripture and t(T)radition, and deemphasize others that contradict them.

quote:
You sub-contract that out to Bronze and Iron Age savages.

Mistah Kurtz...He dead.

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

You haven't met the strong tradition of Welsh Nonconformist pacifism, then? Mind you, five minutes with them makes me want to join the army.
Active is possibly a better word - I mean in terms of presence at pacifist protests, it seems to be Pax Christi, the Quakers, and general pacifist groups eg CND, with some others. There is not, to my knowledge, a strong pacifist evangelical group. I know pacifist evangelicals as individuals, but not of any big organisation.

quote:

Because not killing people applies to everyone. Certainly with a head of state, assassination is a bad idea anyway.

I am against both war and assassination.

quote:
And IngoB, it was JTB, who, like Mary, isn't a member of the Trinity.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I can guess that "JTB" might be "John the Baptist", but I have not at all talked about John, in any way or form, and have no interest in talking about him either here. My point is simple: you cannot separate Jesus from the God of the OT. That's all.

quote:
Then we disagree fundamentally. At best, we agree on the basis of scripture, and disagree on the basis of the Holy Spirit. But the disagreement is still there.

I would hope so.

quote:
So - how many men, women and children would you kill to stop an idea like IS?

One less than IS has killed and will kill, at least conceptually. No idea really where that body count is at so far, but certainly in the hundreds.

But let's be clear, I have no aim to kill anybody, much less obvious innocents like children. Indeed, I have every intention to avoid any form of damage that I can, even to the IS fighters themselves.

Yet the maximum cost of war I'm willing to pay is just less than the expected damage through the attacking enemy. And I'm well aware that this calculus is in many ways impossible for us humans (what is the body count equivalent of taking away religious freedom, for example?). But I do think that these uncertainties have to be costed to the aggressor. If I cannot really say what price freedom, then I cannot really say when one should stop fighting those who wish to take it away.

quote:
Also, how many lives are you willing to sacrifice to accomplish the task? Your own? Your children's? This is not an abstract conversation. Figures would be useful.

No, it's not an abstract conversation. It is underhand rhetorics you keep employing here. You try to make me speak the horrors of waging war, so that I appear horrible. Whereas you avoid addressing the horrors of not waging war, to make yourself appear as morally superior.

But I don't care. Your rhetorics is attractive only while the danger is perceived to be far away from us. As the danger draws closer, the emptiness of such rhetorics becomes transparent to all.

As for fighting IS myself, they are not wrecking my home right now. It is good for the state, and indeed one of its proper functions, to look beyond my individual concerns and potentially decide that it is better to stop IS while they are still only wrecking Syria and Iraq. The state employs professionals called "soldiers" to do these kind of jobs, and uses part of my hard-earned salary to pay them and their weaponry via a mechanism called "taxes". I show my support for such a decision by the state by re-electing the politicians that finance these professionals to push back IS (or not, if I think they shouldn't). If my son decided to become a soldier, then I would indeed expect him to do the duties he signed up for and possibly fight IS on the battlefield. And yes, he may die doing that. That's part of that job, and for me as a father a damned good reason to hope that he will pick a different profession. Still, I do respect that profession and I would ultimately respect my son if he pursued it.

Now, if IS does come closer to my home, then I will act beyond the mechanisms of the common good that we call "state". And I'm quite willing to hurt, maim and kill those who threaten my family and our way of life, if this is necessary and will make a difference. Whether such willingness has a chance to be put into practice is a different question. I have no delusions about being a Matrix-like superhero ducking bullets to deliver a beating. My point is simply that I have no moral or religious qualms concerning that.

quote:
And that doesn't even appear to be a verbal flourish, you really do seem to believe that abortion might justify violence.
link to thread

WTF?! [Mad] I have said nothing on that thread (or in the linked post) that would even remotely suggest that. Are you out of your mind?

I'm delighted at your ignorance and lack of even schoolboy scholarship IngoB, and your defense of it Beeswax Altar.

Such a simple thing but bespeaks volumes.

And the ontic connection between the constantly changing God of the OT and Jesus is what?

And yes, justifying God the Psycho is the Heart of Darkness.

quote:
WTF?! [Mad] I have said nothing on that thread (or in the linked post) that would even remotely suggest that. Are you out of your mind?

Not at all, maybe you would care to explain rationally exactly what you meant. Because it sounded like you were saying in the fight against abortion, violence might be considered a reasonable reaction.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

hosting/

quote:
quote:

Not at all, maybe you would care to explain rationally exactly what you meant. Because it sounded like you were saying in the fight against abortion, violence might be considered a reasonable reaction.
mr cheesy, are you wilfully trying to import another Dead Horse into another Purgatory thread?

Don't.

/hosting

[edited for top-of-page clarity]

[ 06. August 2015, 07:21: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Not deliberately, I'm trying to discuss a comment another poster made in another thread which seemed to be saying that certain legal activities of the state might justify violence. Isn't that the theme of this thread?

hosting/

You are

a) attempting to discuss a Dead Horse in Purgatory

b) attempting to import an argument from a thread in Dead Horses into Purgatory

c) disputing a host ruling on this thread instead of taking it to the Styx.

Kindly desist from all of the above.

/hosting

quote:
I'm delighted at your ignorance and lack of even schoolboy scholarship IngoB, and your defense of it Beeswax Altar. Such a simple thing but bespeaks volumes.

Is SoF running an ad hominem competition again? Two points for you, and a style point for rhetorical purity: these ad hominems remain unadulterated by any hint of actual content.

quote:
And the ontic connection between the constantly changing God of the OT and Jesus is what?

The eternally unchanging God incarnates spatiotemporally into Jesus in His 2nd Person.

Oh, and just a bit of obvious logic: if your changing god was fundamentally different from Jesus a couple of thousand years B.C., then of course there is no reason whatsoever to assume that this god has not changed in the couple of thousand years A.D. to be fundamentally different from Jesus again.

You have no guarantee that Jesus and the NT are more in harmony with the god you face now than with the god we see in the OT. Club Marcion is an attempt to disown the past, but it automatically disowns the future as well. To put it most clearly, you fucked your revelation beyond repair.

quote:

Oh, and just a bit of obvious logic: if your changing god was fundamentally different from Jesus a couple of thousand years B.C., then of course there is no reason whatsoever to assume that this god has not changed in the couple of thousand years A.D. to be fundamentally different from Jesus again.

That kinda makes sense - except that the starting point is that God is actually like the person we see as Jesus Christ in the gospels. So if we're allowing that maybe God changed since, then we're saying that he changed away from being the loving, self-sacrificial man/God we see in Jesus and into something else - say a God who encourages genocide.

Doesn't it make more sense to believe that God is actually like Jesus Christ and that all those other experiences of God were like looking into a dirty mirror?

Maybe the God we see in Jesus makes more sense as a God to believe in because he is all-loving and self-sacrificial?

quote:
You have no guarantee that Jesus and the NT are more in harmony with the god you face now than with the god we see in the OT. Club Marcion is an attempt to disown the past, but it automatically disowns the future as well. To put it most clearly, you fucked your revelation beyond repair.
I'm not entirely sure this is "Club Marcion", but I'm pretty sure that this kind of belief has not automatically messed with revelation per say.

quote:
quote:
So - how many men, women and children would you kill to stop an idea like IS?

One less than IS has killed and will kill
It's good to see that "Kill them all. God will know his own" is still proper RC doctrine.

How does your position differ substantially (or even marginally) from that of IS? (Which, afaiui, is the point Martin's raising with the grandees of the CofE)

quote:
No, the God of scripture and tradition doesn't always conform to cultural expectations.

You have no problem if God turns out to be a racist and for example the KKK are right and all us horrible anti-racist liberals are wrong?

I have this weird thing called a "consicence". It tells me some things are inherently wrong. Like racism. Like valuing members of one ethnic group over another. I could be wrong, but I could also be wrong that grass is green. I just can't imagine a universe in which it is.

The other option is to say my conscience cannot be relied on at all, so if God says it, apparently, then that's fine, and if he says to feed children through bean slicers I'd better get mine to the farm toot sweet.

[ 06. August 2015, 08:57: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:

God is God is God, unchanging for all time.

But the way we perceive God changes all the time. The OT priests and prophets also perceived God differently from each other. Jesus changed everything - but our perceptions and interpretations of what he said also change. Fortunately Jesus' words are far clearer and more just than most of the OT, and can't be easily misinterpreted.

We have to do what we know is right, it is no use relying on any 'authority' to tell us. We are not children.

The religious and political authorities can get things very, very wrong - it is right and good to question them, then do what is right and good whatever they say. (No, I am not advocating law breaking unless the law is wrong, as it was in my childhood - then break it as much as you can and still keep safe from prison)

[ 06. August 2015, 09:10: Message edited by: Boogie ]

I attacked your ignorance, not you, dearest IngoB. Which you awesomely sustain. I'm really impressed.

[ 06. August 2015, 09:08: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
No, I am not advocating law breaking unless the law is wrong, as it was in my childhood - then break it as much as you can and still keep safe from prison)

Can I ask where you were a child? The usual Gandhian practice for breaking an unjust law is to break it in public and then face the full weight of an unjust law. What did you gain by breaking it in secret in such a way as to never get caught?

<crosspost with Boogie and following>

quote:
Doesn't it make more sense to believe that God is actually like Jesus Christ and that all those other experiences of God were like looking into a dirty mirror?

Perhaps. However, this position is not available to Martin60, since he maintains that god himself is changing (rather than that our perception of God is changing). Furthermore, he maintains that even what is revealed in the NT, indeed by Christ himself, has to be evaluated and critiqued from a silicon age point of view as an iron age take on God. In other words, even Jesus Himself, and most certainly His apostolic ghostwriters, were not a clean mirror, and he thinks progress since then has made the mirror image of God significantly cleaner. Such an "enlightened" view of revelation de facto destroys it.

quote:
Maybe the God we see in Jesus makes more sense as a God to believe in because he is all-loving and self-sacrificial?

Perhaps. But if we separate Jesus form the Jewish past in a way that appears clearly at odds with Jesus' own intentions (and those of his Jewish apostles), then we are necessarily compromising the revelation we have obtained through them. If this part of what they were on about is doubtful, then all other parts can be, too. Then you end up not hoping in what has been revealed, but with your hope determining what can count as revealed. At that point religion does become an exercise in wishful thinking.

quote:
I'm not entirely sure this is "Club Marcion", but I'm pretty sure that this kind of belief has not automatically messed with revelation per say.

True, I'm doing Marcion an injustice there. It's Martin60's view of revelation that is fucked beyond repair, that of Marcion is merely fucked.

[ 06. August 2015, 09:20: Message edited by: IngoB ]

quote:
NONE of them, no one, not Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Churchill, Truman or any who followed their orders and none from the pre-modern age, when they are saved, when their lives are redeemed, deconstructed, reconstructed, however that occurs, and it will, in the Resurrection, would do the abominable evils that they did again. Neither will I. Or IS.

Of course none of us will do those things ever again in the New Age, but you blithely overlook Jesus' commands to REPENT if we want to be part of His kingdom. I'm not going to bother with proof texts, because you know them already anyway.

quote:
Even Satan himself may find repentance. How could he not? I dread to think.
Jesus says otherwise. Feel free to ignore Him on that.

I don't accept the Miltonian image of Satan as some melancholy, almost noble, Prince of Darkness. The Dark Lord is a popular figure in fantasy fiction but the Bible's portrayal of Satan is more ambiguous and reticent, although he is undeniably portrayed as a personality. I like CS Lewis's portrayal of the devil as an evil entity adopting personality because it suits it to do so, as content with inanity as much as with big atrocities, and I think Lewis might be onto something there.

quote:
What are we 'guilty' of? Evolving? And YES being sapient, moral beings we MUST take full responsibility for our evil. Even though we are NOT responsible. At all.
We ARE guilty and we ARE responsible. For a lot of stuff. For our war-mongering. For what we're doing to the planet. Etc etc etc etc.

God is merciful, much more compassionate towards us than we are towards others and ourselves, and there is certainly ROOM for all. But there's the rub - some won't actually want that. (As you can tell, I'm no Calvinist.)

Pertinent that I should be writing this on the 70th anniversary of the dropping of the Hiroshima bomb. [Frown] Never again. [Votive]

quote:
quote:
No, I am not advocating law breaking unless the law is wrong, as it was in my childhood - then break it as much as you can and still keep safe from prison)

Can I ask where you were a child? The usual Gandhian practice for breaking an unjust law is to break it in public and then face the full weight of an unjust law. What did you gain by breaking it in secret in such a way as to never get caught?
1960s South Africa. My Dad worked in Soweto and broke the racist laws whenever possible. He was stopped by the police many times but avoided arrest every time by lying through his teeth. He said that going to prison would help nobody. He wanted to continue working and, of course, protect his family.

quote:
I attacked your ignorance, not you, dearest IngoB. Which you awesomely sustain. I'm really impressed.

No, you are not attacking my ignorance, Martin60. You are attacking me personally, through an unsupported assertion that I'm ignorant (so unsupported in fact, that we cannot even tell what I'm supposed to be ignorant about). That sort of thing just is what one calls an "argumentum ad hominem", and you have just repeated it in the above.

But that's fine with me, really. You can maintain your rhetorical sniping and mantra-like ejaculations of "Jesus saves", I will just eviscerate the little that can be gleaned of your intellectual position and let you stew in your oh so enlightened position of having lost your faith and covering it up by nailing Christian vocabulary to a run-of-the-mill secular humanism.

hosting/

That's enough from both of you. To Hell or cool it.

/hosting

quote:
1960s South Africa. My Dad worked in Soweto and broke the racist laws whenever possible. He was stopped by the police many times but avoided arrest every time by lying through his teeth. He said that going to prison would help nobody. He wanted to continue working and, of course, protect his family.

And fair play to him for doing that. [Votive]

But my point remains. Blindly following authority, whether religious or political, is not a good idea. We need to come to our own conclusions - especially about matters of faith. Then, if we wish to worship with others, we choose the Church which is best for us.

Even then we don't need to agree with, or follow everything they say. The Bible, tradition, authority, call it what you will - should not come before our own conscience imo.

Sir.

IngoB and Beeswax Altar: who said what to whom when in Luke 3:14?

And chaps, let's assume that God is perfectly accurately portrayed throughout the entire Bible, from Alpha to Omega, as literally as possible. As Killer. Damner.

What difference does that make to the example we have to follow of Him in the Son of Man?

quote:

Fair enough, that is actually John the Baptist speaking, and you could claim that it is reported just FYI on JtB rather than as an attitude in any way directly relevant to Christians. It's not like JtB was preparing the way for the Lord or anything silly like that: JtB also talks there about practical charity for the poor, and we know that Christians take no interests in that at all. JtB also deals there with tax collectors as if they are not beyond the pale, and we know that Jesus would never do that. And so when JtB says something about soldiers, we can predict that it is meaningless in a Christian context and that Jesus or His apostles wouldn't touch a Roman centurion with a barge pole. These three thing are then not listed to show how JtB got the repentance part right in his call to baptism, even in difficult cases, merely lacking the ability to give the grace of the Holy Spirit. No, this entire passage is supposed to demonstrate just how corrupt the doctrine of JtB was, who leaped in his mother's womb for fear of the approaching Messiah.

That said, this actually does not change my main point at all, namely that by an orthodox understanding of the Incarnation and the Trinity, Jesus simply is personally responsible for the actions of the OT God.

There you see, you're not ignorant at all [Biased]

Your case is the dominant one, the traditional one. And, winking at your flesh tearing too, legalistically wooden. Progressive revelation obviously increased with JtB. Did it stop there?

So God the Killer as writ allows us in THAT example, but not Jesus, to emulate Him? 70 years plus 1 day ago?

I think it is important to grasp the principle that God is writing human history like a human author writes a book. And I mean writing a story or perhaps more specifically a fable (with a moral point), not a book collecting case law. He does deal in individuals, but he very much also deals in the broader brushstrokes of history.

God commanded the genocide of the Amalekites. Therefore God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, must be able to command genocide. That is true, and if you theology cannot accommodate that, then your theology is factually wrong. It does however not follow that there is this standing option of God commanding genocide arbitrarily, and hence that we should be surprised if He doesn't. I'm not proposing a limit on God's omnipotence here (indeed God could command this). I'm saying that this makes no sense, in particular, it does not make the kind of sense God is actually trying to convey.

Compare this to a human author who writes something like: "And at the very moment when John triumphantly grabbed the car keys, Mrs Cobble of the fifth floor accidentally hit the flower pot with her elbow. It fell all the way down right onto John's head, killing him instantly. Jane who witnessed this, was too stunned for words - at least for a while, then she began screaming."

OK. Do you expect that Jane is under immediate threat of being killed as well by a falling flower pot? Should the paramedics look fearfully upwards all the time? Is the entire town under threat by a hailstorm of flowerpots? Will mankind go extinct by flowerpot strikes everywhere? For that matter, does the author motivate throwing flower pots onto people from great heights here? Is this a moral law that death by flower pot is perfectly fine? Do we need to discuss at length just under what conditions one may drop flower pots on people's heads? Is there moral science behind sending it off with your elbow rather than say bumping it loose with your butt? Do we need some serious flower-pot-ology here?

No, all that is pretty stupid. Whatever the author is going on about here - and to find out we would have read more of the story - the point of this vignette surely is not anything like that. That makes no sense, that is clearly not what the author is on about. If the author goes on to tell us about how Jane retires to the cloister, then perhaps this tells us something about the fleetingness of the world or post-traumatic stress disorder. If the author had told us that John was unjustly ripping off Mrs Cobble, and here was stealing her car, then maybe this is about karma and coming around what goes around. Whatever. At any rate, what all this means follows from the story context, it is implicit in what came before in the story and in what came after. What it does not do is to tell us that from now on we should expect the author to kill off one protagonist after the other with flower pots. Not because he couldn't, for most definitely he could. But because whatever the sense is that the author is trying to impart, that surely is not it.

I hope the analogy is clear. We cannot have a theology which claims that God cannot possibly end human lives through violence rather than through disease or old age. God can end all human lives as He sees fit. However, it does not therefore follow that God is constantly threatening everybody and his dog with genocide. That's just clearly not the point of what God is doing to the Amalekites, it just completely ignores the context of the ongoing narrative God is writing into history there.

However, some people may well still be shocked that God could emphasise some point He's making by spelling it out in history in innocent blood (which then later gets reflected in the ink of scripture). Well, fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Once more, we all die, and a good many of us in circumstances that are nasty. Often one hears the complaint that God allows sickness, injury and death to strike people at random, meaninglessly. Well, in the case of Amalek that conveyed a lot of meaning, and still people complain. God cannot really please us, other than by removing all sickness, injury and death. The good news is that He's working on that chapter...

quote:
I think it is important to grasp the principle that God is writing human history like a human author writes a book.

That is the Calvinist party line, yes. It makes a mockery of free will, of course, and I am not prepared to accept your assertion.

quote:
I think it is important to grasp the principle that God is writing human history like a human author writes a book.

As an actual human author, I can tell you this: We make shit up. The protagonists don't do what we want. The plot goes tits up after writing the words "Chapter One". Where we end up is never where we expected to end up.

If God is writing a book like that - then I'm happy. I'm guessing that's not what you mean or want to mean.

I was just reading a novel where the Greek gods on Olympus existed inside time, but it was a different kind of time to humanity.

One of the characters, a god, described it as being able to see all of human history unfolding in front of them like a scroll, and being able to engage with it at any time.

It seems to me that it is possible to imagine God changing only if he is trapped within the time we are within. So over time he too is learning from his mistakes and is also changing his views on stuff. On the other hand, if he actually is outside of time and is able to jump into any point in human history, then we're saying the God we experience is exactly the same God as the one experienced in the OT.

Of course, these illustrations are all pretty problematic in different ways.

quote:
Sir.

I said it was John the Baptist and asked a series of questions you ignored. Your responses on this thread have consisted largely of pedantry and personal attacks. Both are examples of a weak argument. None of your posts address even the sayings of Jesus that contradict your view of Jesus. My suspicion is that any attempt to engage with those passages of scripture would include inserting extra details without justification and making those details more important than the actual text.

Every single atrocity done in the name of Jesus was done in service to a cultural Jesus. Every last one of them was convinced that their culture was the most advanced and enlightened the world had ever seen. All the rest were savages.

Posted by Oscar the Grouch (# 1916) on :

quote:
God commanded the genocide of the Amalekites. Therefore God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, must be able to command genocide. That is true, and if you theology cannot accommodate that, then your theology is factually wrong.

If God commanded genocide then God is a bastard who should be spat upon and not worshipped.

quote:

God commanded the genocide of the Amalekites. Therefore God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, must be able to command genocide. That is true, and if you theology cannot accommodate that, then your theology is factually wrong.

It isn't true.

The writers of the book thought/believed God had ordered them. He didn't. If he did he would be a God who sanctioned genocide - not even slightly the God of love Jesus showed us.

quote:
quote:
It wasn't Jesus IngoB.

Where does Jesus contradict John? Why would Luke who was trying to establish John as the forerunner of Jesus mention a teaching of John diametrically opposed to what Jesus taught? Was John a false prophet? The church does not recognize John as a false prophet. Marcion on the other hand...
So you did Beeswax Altar. My unqualified apologies.

Yes, Marcion was a heretic as he was a literalist and couldn't reconcile the demiurge of the OT, in whom he had no option but to believe, with God incarnate. Most understandable.

No postmodern could fall in to that heresy. Or those heresies should we say. The first heresy being literalism of the Bible as a flat cookbook.

How would Christian, i.e. Christ's pacifism be diametric to, contradict, John's sound advice to soldiers? John was at least the primus inter pares greatest man who ever lived according to Jesus. Who eclipsed him. As do all Christians.

Heresy is human which is why Jesus exemplified it and transcended it.

[ 06. August 2015, 17:33: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

I'm sorry, Martin. When I became an Episcopalian/Anglican, I was told that I wouldn't have to leave my brain at the door. Theological arguments based on circular reasoning require me to leave my brain at the door.

All argument is circular.

Posted by Jack o' the Green (# 11091) on :

Written by a Catholic, this might be of interest:
http://www.strangenotions.com/violence-is-contrary-to-gods-nature/

Burn him!

He's made a start.

This Roman Catholic goes all the way. back to Jesus.

© Ship of Fools 2016