Thread: Bringing people back to God. Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029665

Posted by Frankenstein (# 16198) on :

With church attendance in serious decline, what can we do to address this issue?

Posted by Raptor Eye (# 16649) on :

We can all be ready to talk about our faith and to challenge the urban myths and stereotypes (only as it comes up in natural conversation) - as well as continuing to demonstrate our love for God and for other people.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

What makes you think church attendance declining means people are rejecting God? Rather than, like me, rejecting the church? And maybe finding God in the process.

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

To that point, perhaps our job is not to "bring people back to God." Perhaps our job is to be what we are called to be: an authentic community of Christ-followers. And there is the possibility-- no guarantees-- that if we focus on getting that part right, people will be less disenchanted with the Church and more likely to attend. But it's one of those things, like love or happiness, where pursuing it directly as an end in and of itself pretty much insures you won't acquire it. It only comes as a byproduct of a life lived well.

Posted by Gramps49 (# 16378) on :

1) Stop being hypocritical. Practice what you preach.

2) Find reconciliation between religion and science--they are not mutually exclusive but evangelicals in particular shoot themselves in their foot when they insist on a literal understanding of the creation stories, IMHO.

3) Become open and affirming. When the church sets up arbitrary boundaries between "us" and "them," we will find Jesus on the other side.

4) Affirm historical practices (ie liturgies) in a modern setting. Millennials are actually drawn to the roots of the church.

5) Above all else, preach the gospel.

Posted by Nicodemia (# 4756) on :

I don't think anyone is going to see us and be amazed at us being a community of Christ-followers if we all stay within the walls of the church and expect others to come and see us standing up, sitting down, standing up again and singing hymns/songs and listening to someone who may or may not be, speaking plain English rather than Christianese.

I think (and this is just me) that the average man or woman in the street sees a Christian as someone who is "religious", goes to church and is not allowed to swear or hear anyone swearing.

And no, I don't have an answer. I'm still trying to find where God has got to.

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

Gramps wrote:

quote:
2) Find reconciliation between religion and science--they are not mutually exclusive but evangelicals in particular shoot themselves in their foot when they insist on a literal understanding of the creation stories, IMHO.

So are churches which allow for the reconcilliation between science and religion doing better than the ones that don't?

My own view is that if you want to get people back in church, you need to convince them to believe in God as God is preached in church. This might allow for the belief that science has rendered some of what we say about God as metaphor, but God still needs to be the central part of the belief system.

And this most likelty will NOT include sentiments like "I find God in the smile of a child", or "Well, I don't know what to call it, but I believe in something". Because, insofar as we are talking about Christian churches, there aren't many of them that will include those types of beliefs under the category "God".

To put my cards on the table here, I don't believe that most people in the west currently subscribe to a view of God that could be accomadated by most Christian churches, unless those churches want to stretch their theology beyond all recogniation.

TL/DR: People stay away from church because they don't believe in the things that churches teach. So, it's probably gonna be an uphill battle getting them back.

I have given up going to church.
I have experienced worship in several churches and found the experience remarkably empty.
The minister/priest comes out with same old platitudes.

1. Don't be a dick

2. Be a normal person and be prepared to engage with others about faith - theirs (or lack of it) and yours.

3. Listen to people when they tell you why Christianity and the church sucks. Don't respond with "No all churches".

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Find reconciliation between religion and science--they are not mutually exclusive but evangelicals in particular shoot themselves in their foot when they insist on a literal understanding of the creation stories, IMHO.

This is a huge one imo - especially for young people. All the young Christians I know who turned agnostic/atheist cited this one. (only ten people, but still)

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
What makes you think church attendance declining means people are rejecting God? Rather than, like me, rejecting the church? And maybe finding God in the process.

There is nothing in my post to suggest that the decline in church going is a rejection of God.

Posted by TurquoiseTastic (# 8978) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Find reconciliation between religion and science--they are not mutually exclusive but evangelicals in particular shoot themselves in their foot when they insist on a literal understanding of the creation stories, IMHO.

This is a huge one imo - especially for young people. All the young Christians I know who turned agnostic/atheist cited this one. (only ten people, but still)
This is bizarre - and I'm not doubting your experience, because I too meet lots of young people who cite this - because mainstream churches in the UK are really not very creationist.

I believe you are in quite a conservative congregation so that might make a difference.

However even people who have not been in a creationist milieu still say that this is why they no longer believe.

I wonder if it a post hoc justification in at least some fraction of cases.

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

To bring people back to God take Him to them.

Like this.

quote:
Originally posted by Frankenstein:
quote:

There is nothing in my post to suggest that the decline in church going is a rejection of God.
The OP and thread title suggest this.

If you want to argue that point, why should anyone be interested encouraging people back into an institution that they reject? What is the point of the church? It is helpful for some, yes, but why bother about reducing attendance? If less people find it useful, so be it.

quote:
quote:
quote:

The OP and thread title suggest this.

If you want to argue that point, why should anyone be interested encouraging people back into an institution that they reject? What is the point of the church? It is helpful for some, yes, but why bother about reducing attendance? If less people find it useful, so be it.

quote:
1. Don't be a dick

2. Be a normal person and be prepared to engage with others about faith - theirs (or lack of it) and yours.

3. Listen to people when they tell you why Christianity and the church sucks. Don't respond with "No all churches".

I think you have a desire to be gratuitously offensive.
I hope it keeps you amused.

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
quote:
quote:

This is bizarre - and I'm not doubting your experience, because I too meet lots of young people who cite this - because mainstream churches in the UK are really not very creationist.

I believe you are in quite a conservative congregation so that might make a difference.

However even people who have not been in a creationist milieu still say that this is why they no longer believe.

I can't speak for the UK, in the US it's really that fundamentalism has dominated the airwaves. I find even among my religiously diverse students, the only version of Christianity they're even aware exists is con-evo fundamentalism. They aren't even aware there is a more moderate form of evangelicalism that would favor women's rights, theistic evolution, and possibly even gay marriage or universalism. Much less any awareness of non-evangelical Christianity. So yeah, they really honestly don't know there is an alternative. Some of that's on journalism in general, where print media has savaged budgets for the "religion beat" and broadcast media just wants to get the most extreme, oddball whackadoodle Christians they can in front of the camera. But some of it's on us for failing to enunciate the alternatives in a meaningful way.

[ 28. February 2016, 21:00: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

quote:
quote:
1. Don't be a dick

Well SC's failing to offend me if that's their desire.

1 is ... 1

2 I'd only want to engage about faith if my works were up to it.

3 I respond with complete agreement, "me too" and ask them why they feel and think that.

At one time, particularly in small communities, people went to church, not necessarily because they were religious or that they believed in God, but because it was required of them. It was part of the social scene to which they belonged, or wished to belong.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
quote:
quote:
1. Don't be a dick

Well SC's failing to offend me if that's their desire.

1 is ... 1

2 I'd only want to engage about faith if my works were up to it.

3 I respond with complete agreement, "me too" and ask them why they feel and think that.

If you and SC wish to reduce this to a slagging match, so be.
I was mistaken in thinking that this was a board for mature discussion. I know better now.

I'm sorry? Are we separated by a common language?

quote:
I'm sorry? Are we separated by a common language?

So it would seem.

Posted by simontoad (# 18096) on :

quote:
At one time, particularly in small communities, people went to church, not necessarily because they were religious or that they believed in God, but because it was required of them. It was part of the social scene to which they belonged, or wished to belong.

Who wants a church where people attend for reasons other than their core commitment to the faith? Not me.

As one finds the general in the particular, here's me:

I spend most Saturdays thinking about going to church and wanting to go. Most Sundays I sleep through my alarm, or my wife wakes me and says "did you want to go to church or not" and I say "gnngh".

My Anglican church starts at 9am. Its sister church in the next town, a 15 minute drive, is at 10:30am. I often get home late from work on Saturdays and I take a pill at night that makes me drowsy. For the next few months I'll be working 10-4 every Sunday.

There are options for me. I could go to the Catholics every second Saturday. The local happy clappys do about three services a Sunday, but I am a liturgy guy, and they do weird things, I'm told. I do go to a Mick church in the city once a month, before I try to convert my mate back to the faith by getting pissed with him over, around and under a meal. That's a weekday service at 11am. I'm a wandering Mick myself.

So, for me, a tried and convicted no doubts believer, I don't go to church because it is mildly inconvenient or would irritate me, in the case of the happy clappys. As an aside, my wife is against me going pentecostal because she didn't like the tactics of another congregation towards her sister.

I would like a church here in town to do a service of which I approve at say 10am weekdays. That would fit with my work, as I get home at about 10am from my weekday shifts, and have a few days off during the week.

The Barna institute cited the perceived conflict between religion and science as one of the main reasons why millennials are leaving the church. It is my experience that millennials are leaving the evangelical churches more than mainline churches for this reason. When millennials are hearing certain denominations insisting on the literal interpretation of the creation stories they get the impression that all churches are saying the same thing.

Not quite.

However the mainline churches tend to avoid this topic or try to quiet about it. While the evangelicals are sinning by commission, mainline churches are sinning by omission on this one.

Frankly, I am in my 60's and I struggle with this too. Logically I know that religion and science are not mutually exclusive, but are often times complimentary. However, I was raised in a very conservative church where I was told dinosaur bones were placed in the ground by the devil and to think otherwise was to deny the creative power of God.

Those scares are still with me. I have tied to avoid passing them on to my children.

[ 29. February 2016, 03:36: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

It's not creationism in the UK, it's damnationism. If you're repelled by creationism, you're also protected from damnationism and the lesser heresies that go with it, superstition and piety.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
quote:

Who wants a church where people attend for reasons other than their core commitment to the faith?
I do. I want it full of people who are intrigued by the figure of Jesus but don't know what to make of him. I want it full of people who don't know what they believe but are attracted by the concepts encapsulated in Jesus' earthly life. I want it full of people who don't know what they believe but think there's something of value there. I'm not really bothered about their commitment to any set of propositions.

[ 29. February 2016, 08:10: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

re: science and religion. Imagine the following debate between a skeptic and a clergyman...

SK: I don't wanna go to church. You guys are against science.

CL: Not at all. You're thinking of the fundies. Our church accepts evolution and the big bang theory.

SK: Hey, that's cool. But what about the Virgin Birth?

CL: Oh, uhh, well, some of us think that's just a holdover from paganism.

SK: Okay. And the miracles of Jesus?

CL: Uhh, metaphorical?

SK: Right. And the Resurrection?

CL: ....

You can all write your own reply for that last one. Bouns points if it still manages to reconcile science with any recognizable version of Christianity.

Posted by mr cheesy (# 3330) on :

I kinda think if the deity is who the church declares him to be, then it is his job to bring people back not ours. If the solution he deems is to kill-off church structures as we know them, then so be it.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
quote:

Who wants a church where people attend for reasons other than their core commitment to the faith?
I do. I want it full of people who are intrigued by the figure of Jesus but don't know what to make of him. I want it full of people who don't know what they believe but are attracted by the concepts encapsulated in Jesus' earthly life. I want it full of people who don't know what they believe but think there's something of value there. I'm not really bothered about their commitment to any set of propositions.
Then why not just start a discussion group about the life and teachings of Jesus? Why do your "curious about Jesus" people need to meet in a place onstensibly decidated to worshipping the guy?

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
quote:

I can only observe my own child, who has not been brought up Creationist nor in any kind of non-mainstream church.

To my child, the major drawback is the obvious denial of reality - as she sees it - exhibited in church. She sees much of church as "this is true because I say so", she sees many of the traditional biblical explanations for phenomema as being ignorant (but innocent) from a pre-scientific worldview, such as angels and demon possession. She sees only contradictions in the sciptures as they are used in church, she sees many of the doctrines as being built on imaginative spiritual-sounding words which have been expanded down the years way beyond what was intended. She sees the Christian way as no better or worse than any other complicated religious group - such as Sikhism - it just happens to be the one she is used to and knows most about.

To be honest, most of the time I tend to agree with her.

[ 29. February 2016, 08:36: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

The misogynistic Dead Horses also put people off, of course.

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Then why not just start a discussion group about the life and teachings of Jesus? Why do your "curious about Jesus" people need to meet in a place onstensibly decidated to worshipping the guy?
Why not? These people aren't necessarily interested in discussing concepts about Jesus. They are interested in belonging, even though they're not sure about what it is they are belonging to.

Some of us are still in this place, although we've been churchgoers for many years and count ourselves Christians. I don't see the dividing line between people for church and people more on the edge that you're trying to draw.

[ 29. February 2016, 10:11: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Posted by footwasher (# 15599) on :

quote:
With church attendance in serious decline, what can we do to address this issue?

If you put things in the proper context or framework,  you may be able to get answers.

Let's get you started.  Put "church" into the category of means,  not ends.  Church is one of the means where the end result is that people land up as followers of God.

A strong parallel is the Exodus event.

God wants to make a vivid distinction between following His goals and following other goals.

He gives Joseph a dream that results in Israel living a life that serves those other goals.  Originally,  Israel thought that Egypt would be a good place to avoid the pains of life. The goal of most people,  distilled down to its essence . Seeking  that life is a mirage,  because it results in additional pain as seen in the oppressive situation Isreal found itself in. Our of the frying pan into the fire.

In order to extract His People out of that learning experience,  God sends Moses. Although Moses does not know it,  the plan is to bring Israel  out of a situation that teaches the price one pays for living a self centred life, to living a life of serving God and others,  by trusting God.

Our job parallels that of Moses.  We must rescue people oppressed by selfish living by bringing them into a situation where they can learn how to live a life free from oppression,  where they can drink from the Rock. 

Did Moses succeed in the job? Well, he got the people out of Egypt.  He reasoned with God: How was he going to convince people that what they were risking their lives to reach wasn't a dream,  a mirage? God allowed him to do miracles. 

After bringing them out of Egypt,  why did God deprive them of water and food?  They had to learn to trust Him,  it would be essential later on when He asked them to abandon even valuing their lives,  to go to war. What was wrong with Israel doubting God's  motives in depriving them of food and water? They had enough reason to trust Him.

Is trusting God going to help in entering His rest? It's more than enough,  it's the only thing that works.  Not good works,  not perfection: even with thorns in your side, residual sin ,  trusting Him is sufficient,  because faith results in grace,  we are saved by grace through faith.

Why didn't God abandon them when they failed to trust Him? Because He is slow to anger, long-suffering, not willing to give up easily on His children.

How close is the analogy to Christian life? Very close. 

God calls us to rescue people out of selfish living,  we ask God for help,  God gives us powerful messages to prise people out of futile living. If you want to be really, really perfect,  sell all you own and follow Christ.  Then signs and wonders will confirm the truth of those powerful messages.  If you are like me,  you would all for terms of peace,  ask God to extend the deadline. In the meantime,  you would use unrighteous Mammon to make friends with those who are already living the eternal life,  so that when you lose your job,  they would welcome you into The same eternal type of living they have.

That's you. As for those who accept the invitation you extend,  they are forced to go through the baptism that Israel went through. Suddenly, their lives turn upside down. They begin to face strange trials in their lives.  The correct response is to act like Christ, not like Israel. They should hunker down and say, "Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."  When asked to perform some gratuitous act to exhibit God's anointing,  they should not test God like Israel did,  depending on their anointing through the sea and the cloud, counting on it as an entitlement to venture out into battle and win,  but respond like Christ and say, "It is written that you shall not put the Lord your God to the test.

I mean why should we respond loyally to God,  trust Him blindly? After all, Israel HAD seen God perform miracles,  DID have sufficient reason to trust him,  we don't. Why shouldn't we see the same miraculous works to bolster our faith. Because we have Scripture, and Scripture was written so that we would have the inside track,  would know what mistakes Israel made and avoid those mistakes. These things were written for our information, so that we would not do as they did.

Israel was disloyal to God and never entered God's rest.  Josie and Caleb were loyal to God's and DID enter that rest.  But even Joshua did not lead Israel into a true test.  Their remains a rest to be entered,  the rest that was provided by the Cross,  the rest of being blessings to the world, pruning the world,  subduing the world, perfecting the world. The rest in Christ is entered by saying good things about God, not like Israel who murmured against Him, or like Moses who said good things about himself. The power of Christ, the ability to be a blessing to the world, by presenting a powerful gospel is manifest when we are weakest.

See, that's a rich and robust unpacking of the material. Not like the impoverished pap we hear on any given Sunday morning.

Excuse, the double post, needed to add a small bit of information. Drinking from the Rock isn't listening to sermons, it's being tested with strange trials. The church is the wilderness. Eep!

You say rich unpacking, I say impenetrable text I can can make no sense of.

Posted by Eliab (# 9153) on :

quote:

and

quote:
I was mistaken in thinking that this was a board for mature discussion. I know better now.

That's getting too personal for Purgatory - if you want to engage with someone's arguments, do it here, if you want to comment on how offensive and immature you consider them to be, take it to Hell.

Eliab
Purgatory host

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

Just agreeing with others, bringing people back to God need not mean their going to church, or in fact, being Christian. I know tons of people who either left the church, or stopped being Christian, and they are God-intoxicated. I'm sober now, just.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

quote:
quote:

But the thread is called Bringing people back to God, which does rather imply that as you go on to discuss church attendance, you believe that abandoning church is abandoning God.

[ 29. February 2016, 14:17: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

quote:
Originally posted by footwasher:

See, that's a rich and robust unpacking of the material. Not like the impoverished pap we hear on any given Sunday morning.

Actually, it seems quite similar to what I hear on Sunday mornings. Perhaps you could point out how your sermon differs from the average "impoverished pap" one hears in other churches?

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I love having a church with people who are truly seeking-- people who are curious about Jesus, or about what faith looks like. People with real and honest questions.

But that's a bit difference than what Frankenstein was describing. In the US anyway, there was a time when church attendance was neither about worshipping Jesus nor about asking questions about Jesus, but often was about social obligation and/or business connections. Today there are easier/better ways to make friends, drum up business, or find a date. I think our churches are better for that-- our mission is clearer.

But I do think there's a lot of residual confusion about the purpose of churches, and a lot of residual customs/paradigms that are holdovers from the days when church was mainly about social obligations. Time/volunteer/budget-intensive events that don't serve our mission but are holdovers from the old days when going to the church potluck was the only way to meet people. These sorts of events can bleed energy/focus that is desperately needed elsewhere. And, most of all, they confuse those seekers about what they can expect to find in a church, and cause them to not realize this might be a place where you can bring you questions, your struggles, your hopes and fears.

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

Actually, it seems quite similar to what I hear on Sunday mornings. Perhaps you could point out how your sermon differs from the average "impoverished pap" one hears in other churches?
I think I'd prefer impoverished pap that I could make any sense of it that what Footwasher posted, which I couldn't.

Perhaps I'm just thick as shit.

Posted by fausto (# 13737) on :

quote:
re: science and religion. Imagine the following debate between a skeptic and a clergyman...

CL: Not at all. You're thinking of the fundies. Our church accepts evolution and the big bang theory.

You can all write your own reply for that last one. Bouns points if it still manages to reconcile science with any recognizable version of Christianity.

Would you consider a Christianity that relies primarily on figurative interpretation rather than literal narration of long-ago events, in order to convey timeless spiritual truths through metaphorical meaning rather than propositions of historical fact, unrecognizable?

[ 29. February 2016, 14:57: Message edited by: fausto ]

quote:
quote:

Which is more compelling?

To be told that the desired result is to escape eternal torment in hell (that's not even congruent with the image of a loving God, therefore leading to skepticism about the veracity of the message)

Or

To be told that you are escaping a futile way of living (something that is immediately obvious)?

quote:
quote:
quote:

I think I'd prefer impoverished pap that I could make any sense of it that what Footwasher posted, which I couldn't.

Perhaps I'm just thick as shit.

With God everything is possible...

quote:
quote:
quote:

To be told that the desired result is to escape eternal torment in hell (that's not even congruent with the image of a loving God, therefore leading to skepticism about the veracity of the message)

Or

To be told that you are escaping a futile way of living (something that is immediately obvious)?

Certainly the latter. Which is what I hear most Sundays-- but then these days I eschew the Calvinist denoms you seem to be more familiar with.

It's a good (biblical even) but not a new thought-- this is a common thread in NT Wright and a variety of other theologians and preachers, from both evangelical and mainline denoms. (Tony Campolo uses almost identical wording in fact: "saved from a fruitless way of life", whereas Wright favors "God's big rescue plan").

But that fact that you perceive this as a unique or distinctive pov goes exactly to the point I was making earlier-- that despite the fact that there are a large number of churches & preachers and theologians articulating precisely this pov, the airwaves have become so dominated by narrow fundamentalism (and in particular, Calvinist fundamentalism) that many, many people-- both Christians and non-Christians-- are simply not aware that there is anything else out there.

[ 29. February 2016, 16:37: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Or

Certainly the latter. Which is what I hear most Sundays-- but then these days I eschew the Calvinist denoms you seem to be more familiar with.

It's a good (biblical even) but not a new thought-- this is a common thread in NT Wright and a variety of other theologians and preachers, from both evangelical and mainline denoms. (Tony Campolo uses almost identical wording in fact: "saved from a fruitless way of life", whereas Wright favors "God's big rescue plan").

But that fact that you perceive this as a unique or distinctive pov goes exactly to the point I was making earlier-- that despite the fact that there are a large number of churches & preachers and theologians articulating precisely this pov, the airwaves have become so dominated by narrow fundamentalism (and in particular, Calvinist fundamentalism) that many, many people-- both Christians and non-Christians-- are simply not aware that there is anything else out there.

Give me a link to an article or talk where the person tells the audience that all their work is going to amount to nothing, all the relationships they have built up is going the same way, all the efforts to create a good image or reputation, ditto.

If you say that this is common, then you should be seeing people throwing themselves on swords or off cliffs.That was the ultimate conclusion by the great Greek philosophies. All the heartaches and pains of life not worth going through, for the final payback.

Or, if not the above, desperately seeking for a way out.

Posted by Nick Tamen (# 15164) on :

quote:
quote:

Or

Shoot, it's what I hear most Sundays in the (historically, at least, and in many ways still) Calvinist, mainline denomination to which I belong.

. . . Well, except for the fact that given the Calvinism, I'm hearing that I have been rescued from a futile way of living, not that I am escaping it. [Biased]

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Or

Give me a link to an article or talk where the person tells the audience that all their work is going to amount to nothing, all the relationships they have built up is going the same way, all the efforts to create a good image or reputation, ditto.

If you say that this is common, then you should be seeing people throwing themselves on swords or off cliffs.

You are moving the goal posts just a bit-- and in a typically Calvinist/total depravity sort of way. There is a difference between saying that our lives without Christ, our lives outside the Kingdom, are futile (Col. 1:13) and saying that everything we do and all our relationships are worthless. This sort of overreach is one (although not the most significant) of the problems I have with the hyper-Calvinist Dortian paradigm. And, to the OP, I think is one of the thing that detracts people from God-- since they can observe all sorts of nonbelievers out there in the real world doing good things and having good, positive relationships (as well as Christians doing not-so-good things and having destructive, broken relationships).

But to your earlier summary of the gospel as "rescued from a futile way of life", again, the two authors/theologians I mentioned earlier both use near identical language in these books, while still avoiding the overreach you seem to want to impress now:

Wright (vs. Piper) on salvation/ justification

Brian McLaren/ Tony Campolo: "rescued from a fruitless way of life"

Well, yes, why is my life (without Christ) futile? I don't get that.

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:

I think footwasher and I have different answers to that question.

quote:

Christianity is a worldview, a (gasp!) philosophy. I had earlier linked to an article that explained why theologians are uncomfortable with philosophy: they don't think it's relevant. Strange, because both deal with the same issues.

http://thefloatinglibrary.com/2009/04/20/suicide-the-one-truly-serious-philosophical-problem-camus/

But if it is hard to fix the precise instant, the subtle step when the mind opted for death, it is easier to deduce from the act itself the consequences it implies. In a sense, and as in melodrama, killing yourself amounts to confessing. It is confessing that life is too much for you or that you do not understand it. Let’s not go too far in such analogies, however, but rather return to everyday words. It is merely confessing that that “is not worth the trouble.” Living, naturally, is never easy. You continue making the gestures commanded by existence for many reasons, the first of which is habit. Dying voluntarily implies that you have recognized, even instinctively, the ridiculous character of that habit, the absence of any profound reason for living, the insane character of that daily agitation, the uselessness of suffering.

[From Albert Camus’ essay The Myth of Sisyphus

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Or

If you say that this is common, then you should be seeing people throwing themselves on swords or off cliffs.

You are moving the goal posts just a bit-- and in a typically Calvinist/total depravity sort of way. There is a difference between saying that our lives without Christ, our lives outside the Kingdom, are futile (Col. 1:13) and saying that everything we do and all our relationships are worthless. This sort of overreach is one (although not the most significant) of the problems I have with the hyper-Calvinist Dortian paradigm. And, to the OP, I think is one of the thing that detracts people from God-- since they can observe all sorts of nonbelievers out there in the real world doing good things and having good, positive relationships (as well as Christians doing not-so-good things and having destructive, broken relationships).

But to your earlier summary of the gospel as "rescued from a futile way of life", again, the two authors/theologians I mentioned earlier both use near identical language in these books, while still avoiding the overreach you seem to want to impress now:

Wright (vs. Piper) on salvation/ justification

Nothing in the Wright article about what Camus called the absurdity that is life. The Campolo link is dead.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

Theologians are uncomfortable with philosophy? [Confused]

Well, yes, I did realize that the French existentialists, beautiful though their prose can be, are a bunch of depressed people, who rationalized their depression in their philosophy. How does that take us any further into the futility of life without Christ, if one does not agree with Camus, Sartre, and so on?

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Theologians are uncomfortable with philosophy? [Confused]

It is important to note that despite its overwhelming acceptance, many American Christians were unaware of Common Sense Realism as an actual philosophical system. Writes Noll, “For much of the history of the United States, evangelicals denied that they had a philosophy. They were merely pursuing common sense.”7 Diogenes Allen adds that the resulting effect of this catechesis of Common Sense Realism was, “a static view of Christian doctrine and morals with no sense of historic [one might add, philosophic] development.”8 In fact, as dispensationalism was first being articulated, it seems to have simply assumed as unquestioned fact many of the tenets of Common Sense Realism. After all, one wasn’t necessarily doing philosophy by simply using common sense, was he? Thus, when one encounters hermeneutics texts by early dispensationalist authors (and other Enlightenment theologians, as well), very little space, if any, is given in defense of the philosophical foundations of the interpretative methodological approach being offered. It seems that more often than not, dispensationalists were either unaware of or had simply ignored the role of philosophical presuppositions in their hermeneutical methodology. Bernard Ramm points out this characteristic ineptness towards philosophy in Lewis Sperry Chafer’s theology, in particular. “In reading Chafer’s theology, it is apparent that he is not at home at all in philosophy. He makes rare references to philosophers, and in most cases Chafer is citing some other source and not the philosopher directly.”9

https://bible.org/article/relationship-common-sense-realism-dispensationalism%E2%80%99s-hermeneutics-and-ia-priorii-faith-com m

Hm, I've philosophised with theologians rather often. It must have been because they already had their second glass of wine.

quote:
Well, yes, I did realize that the French existentialists, beautiful though their prose can be, are a bunch of depressed people, who rationalized their depression in their philosophy. How does that take us any further into the futility of life without Christ, if one does not agree with Camus, Sartre, and so on?

Any school of thought you know of which has given a satisfactory explanation for the purpose of our existence, with proof?

Posted by Ikkyu (# 15207) on :

quote:
quote:

Any school of thought you know of which has given a satisfactory explanation for the purpose of our existence, with proof?
None. Christianity very prominently included in that.

quote:
quote:

Now you are reversing the burden of proof - an old trick. You are supposed to be demonstrating the futility of life without Christ. How does it go?

Posted by Ikkyu (# 15207) on :

Well there are exceptions.

Galaxy Song Monthy Python.

quote:
Originally posted by Ikkyu:
Well there are exceptions.

Galaxy Song Monthy Python.

I think my new sig is quite significant.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Now you are reversing the burden of proof - an old trick. You are supposed to be demonstrating the futility of life without Christ. How does it go?
You can stop me at any stage, but it's going to take a few posts to flesh it out. Fine?

quote:
quote:

Nothing in the Wright article about what Camus called the absurdity that is life. The Campolo link is dead.
Well, again, you've shifted things a bit by framing it in existentialist terms as a response to nihilism (may I suggest Ecc. 2 then as a source?). It should not surprise anyone that Wright sees life a bit differently than Camus. But the interview with Wright very much does focus on his understanding of salvation as being "rescued" from a meaningless life (Col. 1:13). I'm not sure what you're missing there.

Sorry about the Campolo link. It comes up fine here. It's the chapter on salvation from his book with Brian McLaren,
Adventures in Missing the Point.

Just to point out, I was not being offensive. I can be if I want, and I wasn't.

What I was doing was challenging and rejecting the idea that getting more people to go to church is something positive that we should be supporting.

The response from Frankenstein particular is very typical, and (to me) explains a lot of the problem. If we are serious about enabling people to engage with God, we have to ask some very difficult questions.

So often, church start to ask "What should we do to bring more people into the church?" If you start by suggesting that the first thing is to stop all of the things you are currently doing, because that is clearly not working, the response is "Oh no, that is not what we want. We want to carry on doing what we are doing, but we just want more people to come and enjoy it." Which is like saying that "we are doing nothing wrong, it is everyone else's fault for not wanting to join in". Yeah.

If it is expressed as "How do we bring more people to know God", if you start by suggesting that we stop doing what we are, that we cancel Sunday services and do something more useful instead, the response is "Oh no, that isn't what we mean. We want people to come to church and meet God".

The truth is, asking these questions, making these radical suggestions helps to formulate what is actually being asked, what is actually important. It doesn't mean that these things have to happen, but if you cannot start from nothing, the chances are you will end up with exactly what you have. Only smiling a little more. And that doesn't cut it.

In case you think I am just totally down on everything, I am absolutely, utterly, totally passionate about enabling and helping people to meet with, engage with, worship God. I just feel that the church is not helpful, and very often extremely damaging in this pursuit.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You can stop me at any stage, but it's going to take a few posts to flesh it out. Fine?
Not really. If you can't summarize it, then it's not credible for me.

Posted by Belle Ringer (# 13379) on :

Of the cuff response to the OP question:

De-empathize rules, including "go to church" and "women can't do this or that just because they are female" and however else church and the Bible are viewed as rule books.

Emphasize God's character, the overriding importance of love.

A lot of vocal people believe God's love is conditional and only for a few, that most of the people we value will be shipped off to hell. Why would anyone find that god attractive?

If that isn't your God (generic you), you need to be vocal about it - in art, in song and dance, in chit chat, in how you deal with others on the job and off.

The conversation in the public is dominated by the worshipers of a harsh, rejecting god, so that's who they assume church is all about.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

[/QUOTE]Not really. If you can't summarize it, then it's not credible for me. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Um. Deliver your thesis in one overwhelmingly convincing sentence?
[Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:

Not really. If you can't summarize it, then it's not credible for me. [/QUOTE]

[Eek!] [/QB][/QUOTE]

Why do you say one sentence? Do you think that a summary is always one sentence long? I used to summarize books for publishers on one side of A4.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:

Not really. If you can't summarize it, then it's not credible for me.
[Eek!]
[/QUOTE]

Why do you say one sentence? Do you think that a summary is always one sentence long? I used to summarize books for publishers on one side of A4. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Okay, that's actually good, because going into too much detail is not really feasible for me because of time and energy constraints.

Really, what we need is to answer the question why the numbers are falling and what we can do about it, and a subset of the view should do the job. Most people sign on to a world view because of its reasonableness and stay on because it remains sensible on further examination. Seeing most believers are forced to attend church as children and stay on because of dependence on social relationships because of the safety net that provides, it's only logical that when the safety net provider is now the state, sustained monetarily, pressure to conform no longer exists.

Having said that, my proof should therefore be in the form of providing a schema that resist objections on the following grounds, that the view is not:

Moral: where would we be if the plan is not moral, if God was capricious?

Accessible: how would we know what's the plan?

Permanent: what's the point if death renders the plan pointless?

All objections raised against the competing world views, that fail on some or all points.

It's also good that it has been pointed out that no worldview provides the required answer, leaving me to just show that Christianity does provide said answer.

The best description of the plan is to liken it to a project taken up by God to create a garden, for his enjoyment, just as a gardener would enjoy a real garden, that is, when it brings forth flowers and fruit.

The fruit expected from the creation of man is justice, mercy and love.

As the project advances, some plants will resist healthy progress, and as a person with a commitment and investment in the project, God will attempt to rescue the malingerers. However, it's not open ended. When the deadline is reached, when help from God yields no results, the defaulters need to be uprooted, and consigned to the incinerator. There is enough evidence in the text that annihilation is being communicated.

Although the text describes actual events, the take away from the lessons are the principles involved.

As Wright and others have noted, Genesis takes the form of other documents in the ANE, the account of the building of a Temple. The last element that the format describes is the placing of the image of the deity in whose honor the temple was built, inside the Temple. So when God rests, it means that God finally takes up residence in His creation, uses His house, stays in it, operationalises it. It's going to do exactly what He set it up to do.

You really think that's significantly different from what every other church is teaching, such that it will reverse a 30-some year decline in church attendance?

I'm not seeing it.

quote:
Originally posted by fausto:
quote:

Would you consider a Christianity that relies primarily on figurative interpretation rather than literal narration of long-ago events, in order to convey timeless spiritual truths through metaphorical meaning rather than propositions of historical fact, unrecognizable?
Well, I guess it depends how you define "Christianity". I tend to go with a definition that includes, as a sine qua non, at least some of the supernatural claims about Jesus, specifically that he was either God incarnate, or at least someone divinely ordained in one way or another.

I don't know what the noun is for describing people who worshipped the Greek gods as supposedly real beings. But, whatever it is, I would not personally apply it to contemporary folks who find moral inspiration in Greek myths, while disbelieving the reality of the stories.

quote:

Christians believe that Christ is (or at least personifies) the Logos, the essential source and unifying order of all that exists. In that sense nothing is without Christ: for "all things were made by [or through] him, and without him was not any thing made that was made" (John 1:3).

So I believe a Christian answer would be: Your life is not futile, because it is from Christ and in Christ -- in the sense that it exists within and is sustained by the omnipresent Logos -- whether you are aware of it or not. But most Christians would also contend that your life would at least be richer and more fulfilling if you were aware of it.

And I believe a Christian who answered that your life is indeed futile if you do not know Christ would be theologically incorrect.

Can a scientist believe in the resurrection?

Point: Not all scientists are skeptics.

Point: Not all skeptics are scientists.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fausto:
quote:

Well, I guess it depends how you define "Christianity". I tend to go with a definition that includes, as a sine qua non, at least some of the supernatural claims about Jesus, specifically that he was either God incarnate, or at least someone divinely ordained in one way or another.

I don't know what the noun is for describing people who worshipped the Greek gods as supposedly real beings. But, whatever it is, I would not personally apply it to contemporary folks who find moral inspiration in Greek myths, while disbelieving the reality of the stories.

I suppose we disagree about that. I think there is room within the big tent of "Christianity" for natural, scientific truth. I do not believe they must necessarily be contradictory, even if some of the more fantastical stories in the Bible must necessarily be understood as metaphors or teaching tales rather than objective facts in order for them not to be contradictory. For example, it would have been a physical impossibility for the sun and moon to literally stand still in the sky when observed from the earth as described in Joshua 10, but it is far more sensible to understand that incident as a literary device than as a refutation of either the laws of physics or the Christian theological system.

Likewise, many who consider themselves faithful Christians understand the Virgin Birth and the Resurrection figuratively but not literally, because if understood literally they would be a biological impossibility. Many more probably understand them as inexplicable supernatural exceptions to the ordinary laws of nature, but not as a refutation of the general validity of scientific truth. Do these Christians fall outside your definition of "recognizable" Christianity? Must "recognizable" Christianity necessarily deny scientific truth in order to preserve the validity of its own truth claims? If so, that might explain why it is becoming increasingly difficult for that particular strain of Christianity to bring people to God.

[ 01. March 2016, 01:48: Message edited by: fausto ]

quote:
You really think that's significantly different from what every other church is teaching, such that it will reverse a 30-some year decline in church attendance?

I'm not seeing it.

You gave two links, which I just managed to read.

Wright doesn't talk about futile living, Campolo writes one line on it. I believe the matter is urgent, I believe people should know they are doing things by rote, thoughtless habit, doing things to live a trouble free life and the more time they waste on this mechanistic way of living, the less time they have to acquire and live the life God meant them to live. Paul of course adds that they are also in danger of being found non compliant:

Acts 17:29"Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man. 30“Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, 31because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead.”

Verse 29, futile act, serving self.

Verse 30, required act, serving God.

Verse 31, penalizing of the non compliant.

That is not the message we hear in the mainstream churches.

quote:
quote:

I'm not seeing it.

Wright doesn't talk about futile living, Campolo writes one line on it. I believe the matter is urgent, I believe people should know they are doing things by rote, thoughtless habit, doing things to live a trouble free life and the more time they waste on this mechanistic way of living, the less time they have to acquire and live the life God meant them to live. Paul of course adds that they are also in danger of being found non compliant:

Acts 17:29"Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man. 30“Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent, 31because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead.”

Verse 31, Arian/Socinian christology! Eat dirt, Nicholas and Athanasius! ;-)

Posted by mstevens (# 15437) on :

As a long-time atheist lurker my personal answers are:

There's a popular metaphor about the church offering medicine for the sick - these days I think the first thing you need to do is convince people they actually are sick.

I've noticed one group of online friends get increasingly interested in christianity as a result of being interested in morals and philosophy...

(personally I'm actually thinking about trying a dose of church, but arrangements are still in progress (the relevant friend is busy for a few weeks...))

quote:
Originally posted by mstevens:
There's a popular metaphor about the church offering medicine for the sick - these days I think the first thing you need to do is convince people they actually are sick.

Not sure about this. I think a lot of people believe that the church thinks them sick. The problem is convincing people that the church has any more answers than anyone else. Your list touches on some of the reasons why this is not very obvious.

What I find interesting is that, having left church, it is far easier to see from the outside how it appears, in a way that I couldn't while a part of it. The impression from the outside is generally not good.

When did they leave?

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Bringing people back to God or back to Church are two different things.
Where I live and work, a rural area, it's becoming more and more apparent that the game's up for the Church and the culture which used to surround it. The Church hierarchy might as well accept this and plan accordingly as opposed to fantasising about a return of the 19th Century.

God will draw people if people are willingly to be drawn and that can happen in the middle of a field or a storm.

My previous vicar posted this on FB,

"A faith that has not been tested cannot be trusted." @nickygumbel ‪#‎nwlc16‬"

I responded,

"I find my faith that violence is never the answer, that God does not ever do magic, that it's ALL down to us in the light of the simplicity of Christ - that all is well forever - wavering in the face of IS, looming unemployment and the helpless [useless, feckless] privilege of rich Christians respectively, admittedly."

It feels relevant here. The church is doing NOTHING that could possibly bring people 'back' to where it's almost never been.

Back to redemptive violence? Back to superstition? Back to piety? Sure. Some will buy that. There's always a politico-religious market for that.

I struggle to believe in my God. Not against atheism, but against falling, backsliding in to those sins.

There was some poor Yazidi girl on the BBC Radio 4 Today Program yesterday morning who'd been gang raped as an IS spoil of war after the 700 men of her village were murdered. I yelled and sobbed at God. He heard. But no fire fell.

I screwed up at work on Sunday and I'm waiting for the hammer to fall and praying for miracles and despising myself out loud for it before God at the same time as I do.

Virtually ALL I see of churches, literally, quantifiably 99%, is 'worship'.

[ 01. March 2016, 22:17: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

quote:
quote:

I'm not seeing it.

Maybe not your mainstream church. But as I and others here have indicated, it is certainly not a new concept or one that is absent from other churches, both mainline and evangelical.

I think there is power in moving the discussion re salvation away from just "getting into heaven/avoiding hell" and the problematic "Godward" theories of the atonement (substitution and satisfaction) and instead focusing on the (IMHO biblical) view of salvation as an invitation to the Kingdom and the "Satanward" theories of the atonement (ransom and
Christus victor).

But again, this is not unique to me by any means. And this alone will probably not be sufficient to turn around the decades-long decline. There are multiple factors behind the decline, most of which are failings of the church itself. Some factors are even positive (church attendance becoming less of a social requirement, and therefore more a reflection of true spiritual commitment or seeking).

quote:

There was some poor Yazidi girl on the BBC Radio 4 Today Program yesterday morning who'd been gang raped as an IS spoil of war after the 700 men of her village were murdered. I yelled and sobbed at God. He heard. But no fire fell.

I screwed up at work on Sunday and I'm waiting for the hammer to fall and praying for miracles and despising myself out loud for it before God at the same time as I do.

Virtually ALL I see of churches, literally, quantifiably 99%, is 'worship'.

Which if what they really meant by "worship" was, in fact,worship as portrayed in the Psalms-- i.e. filled with lamentations, accusations, doubt, questions, fist shaking, heart-rending sorrow and anger mixed in with the thanksgiving and praise-- well, then, there could possibly be something there of interest to Martin and possibly even to the Yazidi girl. But if all it is is just cherry-picking the happy-clappy parts-- the praise and adoration-- and leaving the lamentations and questions and heartache unnoticed in the dust-- then yeah, what Martin said.

btw, Martin: [Votive]

cliffdweller.

I forgive you your weakness for dualist Greg Boyd unconditionally. How can someone so wrong be so gracious in the face of my hostility and kind?

Huh!

Posted by Macrina (# 8807) on :

quote:
quote:

I'm not seeing it.

You know, if you want to get people back or even get them in the first place you could try to avoid talking about them and treating them as if they are stupid.

Many people who have engaged with religion sincerely have also rejected it. They don't do this lightly or frivolously. In a nutshell, if the Church shows respect for people then they might show respect for the Church.

Posted by ProgenitorDope (# 16648) on :

I admit my own experience is limited, but from what I've seen, a lot of young people just don't care and nothing can jostle that. Or at least nothing I'm aware of.

The church survives centuries of antipathy in one form or another, and it looks like its going to be a century or so of apathy that does it in.

quote:
Paul of course adds that they are also in danger of being found non compliant:

Bringing people into the church is not the same as bringing them to God.

Significantly, Paul is not addressing non-believers here, but the members of his own audience whom he calls "the children of God". The people whom he is warning of judgment and punishment are those who already know what it means to comply.

When Christians ignore Paul's warnings to comply with God's will for them and to expect God's judgment of themselves, and substitute instead their own judgments and warnings of punishment against non-Christians, which are not God's judgments or punishments but only ideas "formed by the art and thought of man", that does not serve to bring anyone to God -- not non-Christians, and not even themselves. Rather, it is itself a form of the non-compliance that Paul was warning against.

Posted by simontoad (# 18096) on :

Martin60 [Votive]

This is a pretty good thread. I've got alot out of it.

I reckon life is about worshiping God, and I also wish I could remember that for more than a few seconds after I think it.

quote:
As a long-time atheist lurker my personal answers are:

I've noticed one group of online friends get increasingly interested in christianity as a result of being interested in morals and philosophy...

(personally I'm actually thinking about trying a dose of church, but arrangements are still in progress (the relevant friend is busy for a few weeks...))

The dominant message from the church is that Christianity saves from hell.

This idea doesn't even arise in the minds of seekers after God, since it is a future event and people generally don't plan too far into the future.

Second, it seems so out of sync with the image of a loving God that accompanies the first message. If God provided for escape from Hell by the giving of his precious son in the first place, it seems that he would provide a more humane end for those who choose not to accept his offer. A punishment of eternal torment compotes more with the reaction of a tyrant than a loving God.

The atheist decides to live a selfless lifestyle as a pragmatic choice. It seems to make human society run smoother. He may even choose to stand against promiscuity, same gender relationships , women's lib, not because the letter of a law requires it but for the exact same reason as stated above, the smoother functioning of society! The atheist works to preserve society, the church works to follow the letter of the law! On the face of it, the atheist's choice of a selfless lifestyle is more reasoned than that of the church!

Where Christianity gains is that it has God on its side.

If God exists and his power is real and his promises sincere, conditional on loyal response from his people, then what results will be better and more permanent than what human effort and decency can achieve.

It's a compelling message. It's the actual message of Christianity. Observed in the breach by the church.

[ 02. March 2016, 05:52: Message edited by: footwasher ]

God's power is in being. Ours is in doing.

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Where I live and work, a rural area, it's becoming more and more apparent that the game's up for the Church and the culture which used to surround it. The Church hierarchy might as well accept this and plan accordingly as opposed to fantasising about a return of the 19th Century.

God will draw people if people are willingly to be drawn and that can happen in the middle of a field or a storm.

This is one of my big problems with so much of the church today. In putting so much effort into supporting the institution, there is so little in looking forward to a post-institution world and making that a better place.

In truth, a church group who were to focus on post-institution faith support would probably find that they grew, both numerically and in terms of change and moving on.

The church is not dying. Only the institution is dying.

Posted by Komensky (# 8675) on :

There are some lovely things written here—and some good ideas for solutions. Here are a few thoughts on what drove me from the church and ultimately from belief in God.

If you want to know what drives many from the church, just read or listen to the first Alpha talk, or read one the Alpha tracts (the worst/best is Challenging Lifestyle). Here you will see that this particular church is completely happy with carrying out a con job on the audience, fabricating testimonies, misattributing quotes and using tried-and-tested hard-sell manipulation techniques taken straight of out the advertising industry. If you want to invite people to join, here are a few tips:

1. Don't lie to them (a sincere admission of ignorance is much, much better than a 'heartfelt' fabrication—even if it 'brings someone to Jesus')
2. If there is no proof or evidence for something say: 'I/we don't know' [that's fine, by the way, there world is full of things we don't fully understand.]
3. Don't share apocryphal testimony stories
4. Don't embarrass people
5. Don't judge other people for who they are—especially homosexuals. You must realise by now that being gay is not a sign that something is wrong with someone.
6. Don't bully people
7. Don't create a false sense of engagement with the 'real world' ('We've invited a Christian mathematician to talk to us about the fact that science and God are reconcilable').
8. Admit that you might not have it right—and that that's OK
9. Don't use expressions like 'the secular world'. There is only 'the world'
10. Do try, if at all possible, not to be an arsehole

This discussion board is closest thing I have to church. If you all met in my local, I'd come along to see you for a chat.

K.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:

This is one of my big problems with so much of the church today. In putting so much effort into supporting the institution, there is so little in looking forward to a post-institution world and making that a better place.

In truth, a church group who were to focus on post-institution faith support would probably find that they grew, both numerically and in terms of change and moving on.

Sorry for the double post; and while I am apologising, I didn't intend my previous post to sound so bitchy. I should have couched my suggestions in positive, rather than negative, language.

Schroedinger's Cat raises an good point here. In my experience in UK evangelical circles, there is tremendous pressure to 'belong' and to be 'involved', in everything from regular attendance to running course and activities.

K.

quote:
quote:

Not sure about this. I think a lot of people believe that the church thinks them sick. The problem is convincing people that the church has any more answers than anyone else. Your list touches on some of the reasons why this is not very obvious.

What I find interesting is that, having left church, it is far easier to see from the outside how it appears, in a way that I couldn't while a part of it. The impression from the outside is generally not good.

I think I sort of agree and sort of disagree? I'm not sure I can explain this clearly. When the church works (for me!) it hits a sense of morals people (I) already have - picking something a bit drastic, maybe you're a kleptomaniac and a bit worried about your tendancy to steal stuff, the church pitch is "it's a real problem, and we have the solution".

Whereas what people actually get most is "gays are sick", when to most people they look perfectly healthy, AND most people who make that kind of claim have turned out to be pretty unpleasant - it taints any claim from the church to know anything.

quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:
There are some lovely things written here—and some good ideas for solutions. Here are a few thoughts on what drove me from the church and ultimately from belief in God.

If you want to know what drives many from the church, just read or listen to the first Alpha talk, or read one the Alpha tracts (the worst/best is Challenging Lifestyle). Here you will see that this particular church is completely happy with carrying out a con job on the audience, fabricating testimonies, misattributing quotes and using tried-and-tested hard-sell manipulation techniques taken straight of out the advertising industry. If you want to invite people to join, here are a few tips:

1. Don't lie to them (a sincere admission of ignorance is much, much better than a 'heartfelt' fabrication—even if it 'brings someone to Jesus')
2. If there is no proof or evidence for something say: 'I/we don't know' [that's fine, by the way, there world is full of things we don't fully understand.]
3. Don't share apocryphal testimony stories
4. Don't embarrass people
5. Don't judge other people for who they are—especially homosexuals. You must realise by now that being gay is not a sign that something is wrong with someone.
6. Don't bully people
7. Don't create a false sense of engagement with the 'real world' ('We've invited a Christian mathematician to talk to us about the fact that science and God are reconcilable').
8. Admit that you might not have it right—and that that's OK
9. Don't use expressions like 'the secular world'. There is only 'the world'
10. Do try, if at all possible, not to be an arsehole

This discussion board is closest thing I have to church. If you all met in my local, I'd come along to see you for a chat.

K.

I've been totally turned off by the Alpha Course for years, and I know at least one other person its had the same effect on. I got the impression christianity is about the worst kind of emotional manipulation.

The point about being sick seems important. It reminds me of the famous Fulke Greville line, 'created sick, and commanded to be well'.

But then I am sure that different groups of Christians see this differently. But if you are saying, 'there is something wrong with you, and we have the cure', that immediately raises hackles.

Well, it just seems to emphasize guilt overly, for me.

But I suppose it is pretty intrinsic to Christianity - why else would one need a saviour?

But it's interesting to think of a numinous framework, which doesn't begin with that premise (there is something wrong). Well, some Eastern religions look at the premise, but don't see it as foundational, but as a habit of mind.

I recall a friend of mine doing a Zen retreat, and for several days, she kept saying, 'life is hard', but by the end she was saying 'life is easy'. Hmm. I suppose this is a kind of salvation.

Posted by WearyPilgrim (# 14593) on :

/QUOTE]I can't speak for the UK, in the US it's really that fundamentalism has dominated the airwaves. I find even among my religiously diverse students, the only version of Christianity they're even aware exists is con-evo fundamentalism. They aren't even aware there is a more moderate form of evangelicalism that would favor women's rights, theistic evolution, and possibly even gay marriage or universalism. Much less any awareness of non-evangelical Christianity. So yeah, they really honestly don't know there is an alternative. Some of that's on journalism in general, where print media has savaged budgets for the "religion beat" and broadcast media just wants to get the most extreme, oddball whackadoodle Christians they can in front of the camera. But some of it's on us for failing to enunciate the alternatives in a meaningful way. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Exactly. Here in the States, mainline Christian preaching and teaching is almost unknown on radio and television, while con-evos (ranging from the sane and thought-provoking to the totally batshit crazy) are everywhere: there are more Christian television networks and radio stations than one can count. There is an outfit called Odyssey Networks that produces faith-based, fiction and nonfiction films for television (you have to go to their website to find them), and Day1 --- the successor to radio's old, historic Protestant Hour --- can still be heard. But try to find it. [Confused] It's a generalization, but mainline, ecumenical, moderate-to-liberal Christians don't strike me as terribly media-savvy.

I certainly don't meant to suggest that this is how all, or even most, churches operate. However, HTB was probably the worse thing I've experienced in terms of a church. So long as you don't shine a light on what goes on, you'll have a great time—and I do have many fond memories.

This brings us back to the OP. Most of these 'crisis' conversations make similar assumptions: we know we are right, it must be that we are not selling it in the right way. If you have a strong stomach, read William Lane Craig's Reasonable Faith. He's very clear that his particular take on Christianity is completely and inscrutably correct (on the basis of nothing but 'knowing'). If the rest of the world can't see that, the reason they can't see it is because it isn't being explained well. He then goes on to be clear in the fact that his entire career as an apologist is not to 'prove' anything, but to bring people to Christ'. The thing that is completely off the table for people like that is the proposition that it is not that the world doesn't (necessarily) like your sales pitch, it is that they don't want what you are selling.

K.

Good points here. Do you think that perhaps the absence of the media-savvy presence might be a good thing? The evangelicals will be the first to tell you: people are not going to have 'conversion experiences' because moderate Christians stand up for women's rights, the environment or even some form of gay rights—people are drawn to the 'show'. They need stories of people being raised from the dead, miraculous 'healings', visions from God, direct intervention, lives transformed! Those goals must be pursued at all costs.

I hear you about the US. I have met many American Christians who are completely normal. You get the impression on this side of the pond that they are all homophobic God-appoointed nutjobs like Pat Robertson, Rick Warren, Joyce Meyers, Bill Johnson, Joel Osteen and much, much worse (those are only the famous ones). How can you hope to compete with them by using some plan of sanity?

K.

[ 02. March 2016, 11:28: Message edited by: Komensky ]

quote:

This. Throughout this thread, I've been thinking a lot about Jesus' counter-intuitive, "upside down" sayings, and particularly "the only way to gain your life is to lose it." Perhaps that applies not only to individuals, but to churches as well.

Two cases in particular came to mind for me-- two quite different churches in style/focus, but both illustrating this, I think:

1. One is of a Pentecostal church plant here in inner-city L.A. The denom. put in a very young pastor, the son of a Texas megachurch pastor (aside: I get the impression if you leave a KJV Bible on a park bench in Texas, a megachurch will spontaneously erupt around it). The denom. put this young guy, fresh out of seminary, in a church plant in one of the most economically blighted areas of L.A. And it failed. After a few years, the denom. gave the pastor warning that they would be cutting off funding/shutting it down in a few month's time. Pastor feels like a failure, especially given the high expectations placed on him due to his lineage. After some soul searching, he decided if the church was going to die, they should go out acting like a church. So he started just walking the neighborhood, knocking on doors (literally), asking his neighbors one household at a time, "how can I serve you?". After awhile, some of the elders started joining him. Today it is one of the largest megachurches in L.A., and had to purchase a former hospital bldg to house all of the various ministries/ programs that were begun to serve their neighbors. But they still have the practice of sending out teams to designated neighborhoods after church every Sunday to just knock on doors and ask, "how can we serve you?"

2. A bit further north, another evangelical church plant up in Portland. After much prayer and conversation with GLBT members and neighbors, the pastor felt an absolute conviction that the church needed to be explicitly open and affirming. The evangelical denom. cut ties/funding, and 1/2 the members left. It's unknown at this point if this story will have the more classic happy ending of the one above-- last I checked in, their finances due to the above were precarious. And yet, I was moved by the pastor's response. The reaction of the denom and the members who left was not unanticipated-- he knew that was the likely response. And he knew that it might end the church, at least financially. And yet the pastor wrote that this might be part of the greater mission of this particularly congregation-- to die so that the message of inclusion and reconciliation would live.

Very different stories, very different churches, but I think both illustrating that "in order to gain your life you must lose it" may be key to this whole authentic church life thing.

[ 02. March 2016, 12:49: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

quote:
quote:
quote:

I think I sort of agree and sort of disagree? I'm not sure I can explain this clearly. When the church works (for me!) it hits a sense of morals people (I) already have - picking something a bit drastic, maybe you're a kleptomaniac and a bit worried about your tendancy to steal stuff, the church pitch is "it's a real problem, and we have the solution".

Whereas what people actually get most is "gays are sick", when to most people they look perfectly healthy, AND most people who make that kind of claim have turned out to be pretty unpleasant - it taints any claim from the church to know anything.

I am sort of with you here. But I think the church saying "it's a real problem, and we have the solution" is challenging. I have depression - the church does not have a "solution" for that. What the church should be saying, IMO, is "That is a real problem, and we think we can offer help and support".

I think the church is seem by many as saying "We can define your problems and sort them out". That sounds like a con to me. "Your sexuality is the problem, and we can fix it" is damaging because a) it isn't a problem and b) you can't fix it.

As you say, while the church may be superb at helping for some things, the perception is so negative, people will struggle to approach and see what the attitude is.

Yes-- but it's a problem of expectations in both directions.

What the church has to offer is spiritual direction-- helping believers to understand their own challenges and life experiences in light of the bigger story of God, help in listening to God and what s/he is saying in any particular circumstance, and support in living that out in one's own unique situation. That alone is more than enough for any day's work.

But, no. Instead, churches are expected-- and all to often represent themselves to be-- experts on a host of other things-- relationship problems, finances, business matters, health & wellness, and yes, sexuality. It's like your gyno offering to give your car a lube job (no pun intended-- well, maybe just a little) while you're in there. The expectations come from both those showing up on our doorstep and from our willingness to market ourselves as cut-rate therapist/ accountant/ business manager/ life coach. Small wonder, then, that disappointment and frustration are frequently the end result when we offer ourselves as omnibus expert on everything.

I like the lube job. Lubrication of all kinds catered for, from car to bedroom. GynoRod at your service.

[Devil]

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

Here is a question for you, though, Cliffdweller ..
How come we hear such stories from the US but never here in the UK?

Anyone knocking on doors and asking how he might serve people over here would either be told whete to get off or else still be knocking doors in 50 years time with little but worn boot leather to show for it.

It could be - for now - that we still have the NHS and other social services serving people on the way this bloke was ...

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Here is a question for you, though, Cliffdweller ..
How come we hear such stories from the US but never here in the UK?

Anyone knocking on doors and asking how he might serve people over here would either be told whete to get off or else still be knocking doors in 50 years time with little but worn boot leather to show for it.

It could be - for now - that we still have the NHS and other social services serving people on the way this bloke was ...

Well to be fair, I have two such stories, not 200 or even 20. And I don't know that Matthew Barnett (the first story) didn't get a whole lotta doors slammed in his face (these parts they're apt to think you're a Mormon or Jehovah Witness coming to proselyte).

My point was not that this is common in the US-- it's not-- nor that it was always successful in American consumerist terms (i.e. more butts in pews or $$ in the offering plate)-- the first one was, the other remains to be seen. What stood out to me in both stories was rather how unusual they were, how counter-cultural, in being willing to suggest that a church "dying" might be part of a bigger narrative where that would be OK. I'm just intrigued and inspired by these two small witnesses as a possible way to look at "dying well" in congregational terms the same way we do individually.

The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat. Confucius

Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there, and finding it. Oscar Wilde

The patient doesn't know what his illness is. The doctor is fixing a problem that doesn't exist. Me ( unless someone else said it first).

did footwasher lose his faith? I'm sorry to hear that.

On the contrary, that's good news. As long as something more functional, more meaningful, more coherent fills the void. It is painful and scary, but the debrided baby can remain drained of bathwater.

If He does not, because He was never there really, no matter. All will be well, healed, restituted. In the resurrection. In the mean time, one hopes for recovery, for a new start, in conversation. An earnest of transcendent rebirth, of standing again.

If you have lost your former story, footwasher, you can tell another of that, from that. Redeem it. Here. So, what's your story? How did you come to your beliefs and lose them? If that's what's happened.

Hmmm ... I understood the point you were making, Cliffdweller ... but whether these stories are one-offs or representative of broader trends they just sound completely alien from the perspective of UK religion - and yes we have Mormons and JWs knocking doors too.

The aspect I was wondering about was what form did the service to the community take?

Sure, there are gaps and the NHS, NGOs and so on don't cover all the bases - and I can see churches and other faith groups attempting to fill those gaps ...

But what form did this service take? What did it consist of?

What would be the equivalent on a rural area, say, rather than downtown LA?

How could a group in a different socio-economic and cultural setting to downtown LA arrange a 'good death' for instance?

quote:
Hmmm ... I understood the point you were making, Cliffdweller ... but whether these stories are one-offs or representative of broader trends they just sound completely alien from the perspective of UK religion - and yes we have Mormons and JWs knocking doors too.

The aspect I was wondering about was what form did the service to the community take?

Sure, there are gaps and the NHS, NGOs and so on don't cover all the bases - and I can see churches and other faith groups attempting to fill those gaps ...

But what form did this service take? What did it consist of?

What would be the equivalent on a rural area, say, rather than downtown LA?

How could a group in a different socio-economic and cultural setting to downtown LA arrange a 'good death' for instance?

In the case of the LA church I mentioned, the early acts of service that result from the pastor and later a few elders knocking on doors were very simple things-- a bag of groceries, ride to the doctor's office, that sort of thing. The weekly teams that still go out to local neighborhoods do similar sorts of things.

The larger ministries that grew out of that include
quote:
We do this through mobile hunger relief and medical programs, residential rehabilitation programs adults, a shelter for victims of human trafficking, transitional housing for homeless families, foster care intervention programs, job skills training, life skills, counseling, basic education, Bible studies and more. - See more at: http://www.dreamcenter.org/about-us/#sthash.dirQFrBZ.dpuf
I've had some experience of their ministries in my work in a nearby city, and would vouch for them-- their work is impressive. The church itself is happy-clappy Pentecostal so not everyone's cup of tea of course.

Yes, I think it would look very different in a rural setting. Or even, as we saw in the other example I cited, the Portland church plant that is still struggling to survive after becoming open & affirming of LGBT Christians.

Of course, lots of churches serve their neighborhoods. My job title currently is "Pastor for Urban Outreach" so that's what I do as well, albeit nowhere close to the scale of Dream Center. Other shipmates have described similar ministries they are involved in. The difference/point I was making was not that DC was unique in serving their neighbors. I was making the point that there may be something powerful in a church being willing to accept institutional "death" as part of their calling. That Jesus' call to "lose your life in order to gain it" might apply to the church as well as individuals. That there is something powerful that comes when you let go and are willing to just serve/follow Christ even if it means letting go of everything. (And that our efforts to "bring people into the church" may be counter-productive for precisely that reason).

Again, only two case studies to consider, and one as yet still resolved, so no quantitative research, just musing aloud about Jesus' teachings and the odd workings of the Kingdom...

Posted by Eirenist (# 13343) on :

The moral seems to be 'Sometimes a/the church must die in order to be resurrected'.

My rector used to say that God was thumping on the church door, trying to get in.

quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
The moral seems to be 'Sometimes a/the church must die in order to be resurrected'.

Well, that was the point I was laboring to suggest. Or at least, be willing to die. Or that, conversely, making survival of the institution a goal is ironically the thing most likely to kill it.

quote:
My rector used to say that God was thumping on the church door, trying to get in.

Would it have better if God had been trying to get out?

quote:
quote:

That assumes that he's inside. I think my rector was saying that he wasn't, a rather bold claim, but I suppose rhetorical exaggeration. I'm happy to think that he's inside and outside, although I suppose that messes with lots of theology, maybe.

quote:
quote:
quote:

That assumes that he's inside.
I liked the joke though.

quote:
quote:
quote:

That assumes that he's inside. I think my rector was saying that he wasn't, a rather bold claim, but I suppose rhetorical exaggeration. I'm happy to think that he's inside and outside, although I suppose that messes with lots of theology, maybe.
Like you, I think He's everywhere!
I think the rector had a deeper message to impart.

Sure - thanks Cliffdweller ... I was simply wondering aloud ...

I'm sure the work that church does in down-town LA is impressive ...

And yes, in principle I'm with you - that a 'good death' in terms of not clinging onto something for the sake of it but actively releasing it and 'letting it go' is a powerful thing ...

A lot to think about there.

I think there's an issue, though, about post-rationalisation ... if something simply runs out of steam and closes down then we could try to 'spiritualise' that in some way ... rather than simply accepting that it ran out of steam and closed down ...

But I take the point you're making.

We had a very liberal vicar here in one of the Anglican parishes who wasn't at all bothered whether his church closed - he thought the building would make a great restaurant. Actually, I disagree, I think it's a terrific church building and it does act as a good venue for concerts and events too ...

His successor seems to be trying to turn it round and make a good fist of it ... which is what I feel to be the best approach until such time as the situation does look to be untenable. I'm not sure they're there yet ... but youngsters and kids are very, very thin on the ground there in a way that they aren't at the evangelical parish.

I suspect, though, that any institution - and not just churches - is going to be unwilling to positively 'give up the ghost' ... but as you say, there's all the 'unless a grain of wheat ...' stuff.

Sometimes something has to die in order for there to be a resurrection as other posters have observed.

In Scotland, there is a really depressing number of churches that have either been sold off or are on the market ready for conversion (an unfortunate turn of phrase).
I have read that about 3/4 years ago, the Presbyterian Church had recorded a mere 5000 baptisms.
Are we addressing the wrong issues on this website?

Aye, we have NOTHING to say, except to each other. Like 99...% of 'praise' and 'worship' services.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

I don't know if any church can "bring people back to God" but there are practical things we can do to encourage people back to church, if only we can be bothered to get the views of people who aren't regulars at our services.

For the past 10 years or so my place has informally asked that those of us with friends who visit and come to a service - especially non-churchgoers - encourage feedback and pass it on. And when we in our turn go to different churches we pass on for discussion and possible action anything we have encountered that seems particularly welcoming or useful. Some of the comments and suggestions have been enlightening, and while we thought we were pretty organised we try to take on board what our visitors find grating or odd. In particular:
We are very much a community church: other denominations aren't present without undertaking a journey of more than 10 miles so we do our best to ensure that those members of our congregation who were brought up in different traditions don't feel marginalised or uncomfortable. We are very aware that we are a church for the whole village, not just those who are nominally CofE.

Part of this involves using those traditional customs which may have lapsed elsewhere: we have Plough Sunday, on Rogation Sunday we have a walk around the local farms with prayers, reading and hymns, every villager who has died is remembered by name on the anniversary of the death and at All Souls, etc, etc, etc.

I don't know about leading people back to God but we do seem to bring people back to church, and even some into church who haven't been before. Yes, there aren't many in the 35-50 age range but we grit out teeth, take their children in Sunday School (amazing attendance thanks to a CofE secondary school in the nearest big town) and try to entice them to stay once the school place has been obtained.

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

It doesn't hurt to remember that (although this may be different in those countries where there is a religious education component in the schools) a huge chunk of the population has no idea what happens in churches. Many people, now in their 20s and 30s, were raised in families with almost no church experience or knowledge. Their information about church life is garnered by channel surfing past television evangelists, the occasional glimpse of a papal ceremony on the national news, or a few minutes observing the scene of the bishop baptizing Ragnar, all conflated with scenes from Game of Thrones. They also go to weddings. That's it.

One my Orthie friends was complaining about this to his spiritual father, an immigrant priest who had done gulag time, and asked what could be done to remedy this. The answer of fasting and perhaps a few decades of sacrifical witness was not what he wanted.

Whatever one thinks of the Issue, there is a simple fact that most young people (in Canada, at any rate-- shipmates from other countries must do their own analysis) are raised in a rights culture, and perceive that the churches are homophobic. Protests that one's own parish isn't don't seem to change this perception. The overwhelming media presence of television evangelicals and the RCC have set public perception for the time being.

Some useful approaches are possible to overcome the ignorance-- if there are Open Doors programmes in your neighbourhood, this can bring in hundreds who visit various historical buildings. Music programming also provides an opportunity to get people in the building and time for a brief explanation of a congregation's work (aside from the valuable public service of providing a place for music in a community).

At the same time, there are many with a strong yearning for spiritual development. They rarely associate study groups with this, but they are intrigued by meditation, including the more spiritual form of yoga. Telling them that you are having a group work on the Book of Acts will not have much resonance for those who have never heard of it-- my favourite here was seeing a session entitled Synoptics for Seekers.

Perhaps with an aging population a focus on end-of-life discussions, and providing opportunities for spiritual care for mourners???

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

My church is trying a 'front porch' kind of outreach. The idea is to get people who know nothing of churches onto the front porch -- close, but not inside, so they can get an idea of what's going on. These events are always one-shot, intensely attractive and child-friendly, and arguably not religious in nature. I have waded waist-deep in children at the Halloween Trick Or Treat event, bucked seething hordes of bibliomanes at the August Used Book Sale, and worried about the fire marshal shutting us down at the Christmas Carol sing because we were stacked to the rafters.

Yeah we all experience that Brenda. But why ON EARTH would anyone want to come week in, week out to a concert interrupted by a lecture?

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

We clearly cannot win on entertainment grounds. There will always be something more thrilling to do with the time: on Netflix, outdoors, at restaurants, with your drinking buddies. I believe my church's current pitch is the community aspect -- exhibiting the body of believers, and hinting that you could join it.

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
We clearly cannot win on entertainment grounds. There will always be something more thrilling to do with the time: on Netflix, outdoors, at restaurants, with your drinking buddies. I believe my church's current pitch is the community aspect -- exhibiting the body of believers, and hinting that you could join it.

Totally agree. I think the best thing we can do is be who we are-- a community of broken, flawed, often quirky people seeking God-- as authentically and transparently as possible, and tangibly demonstrate welcome those who are interested in what that's all about. It won't be what everyone is looking for all the time, or even most people most of the time. But there will be people who find themselves at a point in their lives where that's what they're looking for, and they'll appreciate the open door without all the smoke and mirrors.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

As someone who would love to be able to attend a weekly meeting where there is singing, a routine of words which make one think afresh each time they are repeated (I do not use the word 'inspirational' because it tends to make me wince!, with an opportunity to hear organ music played well, etc, I am sorry that such is not available minus mention of God at present. The biggest problem I think all churches with diminishing numbers have is that there is no God that any of them can bring people back to. To try to encourage people to have faith in something which is not available to any of their senses or to investigation or testing no longer works as it did in the days before the information age. Why should anyone believe in miracles when they know what medicine can do? Why should anyone accept the idea of resurrection when they are well aware of what actually happens to the bodies of living creatures when they die?

Please do not think that this is just an atheist negative point of view though, because this whole thread has been most interesting. I am all for just about everything done in a community by the people in them and would strongly defend their right to do so in the buildings and in the name of their chosen God, but just wish it could be realised that the idea of God is not a required element.

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
Why should anyone accept the idea of resurrection when they are well aware of what actually happens to the bodies of living creatures when they die?

Do you really think that people 2,000 years ago didn't understand what happens to the bodies of living creatures when they die?

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

There was, perhaps still is, an atheist "service" discussed on Ship a couple years ago. Does anyone know if they're still going? London, i think.

Seems a little odd to me, like having a wedding without the couple, but whatever.

quote:
As someone who would love to be able to attend a weekly meeting where there is singing, a routine of words which make one think afresh each time they are repeated (I do not use the word 'inspirational' because it tends to make me wince!, with an opportunity to hear organ music played well, etc, I am sorry that such is not available minus mention of God at present.

Really? It offends you so much if someone mentions God that you must stay away? And yet, you have no issue with our speaking of God on the Ship.....

Without it being about God, there would be no point in Church Worship Services. There are plenty of organ and choir concerts, and singsongs, where God is not worshipped or mentioned at all. There are lots of 'inspirational' speakers captured on Youtube who don't mention God at all. Why are they not satisfactory?

As others have said, many have not left God, but they have left church as the people who attend are not the image of perfect Christians. Rather we are fallible human beings, hopefully allowing the Holy Spirit's guidance in our lives so that we will grow in patience, kindness, self control, gentleness, love of others, etc. These attributes in action help others to see God too. They might even come to Church, to find out more about the living God we worship. We can hope and pray, and do our best.

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

Yes it is still going and doing rather well.

Jengie

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:

I love it - these are all the reasons I still attend Church.

Posted by Belle Ringer (# 13379) on :

quote:
quote:
Anyone knocking on doors [in UK] and asking how he might serve people over here would either be told where to get off or else still be knocking doors in 50 years time with little but worn boot leather to show for it.

My point was not that this is common in the US-- it's not-- nor that it was always successful in American consumerist terms... What stood out to me in both stories was rather how unusual they were, how counter-cultural, in being willing to suggest that a church "dying" might be part of a bigger narrative....
Catching up. The stories are not about knocking on doors but finding out what people here in this neighborhood personally need. And that carries a risk - Someone needs a ride to the doctor one time, but someone else is on dialysis and needs a ride twice a week forever during normal work hours (when you have fewest volunteer), so the fear is being overwhelmed by the needs. Or fear they taking advantage of you by sending you to fetch groceries so they can stay home and watch the soaps.

Fear means nothing gets tried. But that can be handled by recognizing limits - don't knock on the second door until the first one's need has been met, and don't enable a person's ongoing dependency instead of problem solving.

But also, the effort was about the church being outward looking instead of expecting people to come to the building to serve the needs of the building and the institution.

But also, something Cliff Dweller mentioned, the spiritual awareness, how are people's needs being met in ways only God awareness fully offers? If we focus on projects any secular club can offer, are we doing the full job of a church?

What a lovely idea.

Aye Brenda. Community. That would be nice. But again, where's the community in a concert interrupted by a lecture?

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
Why should anyone accept the idea of resurrection when they are well aware of what actually happens to the bodies of living creatures when they die?

Do you really think that people 2,000 years ago didn't understand what happens to the bodies of living creatures when they die?
No of course I did not think that. However, from ancient times and cultures there have always been very large numbers of people who were convinced that some spirit or soul could survive. As far as I know, the only ancient culture that had atheists prepared to express such opposing ideas were the ancient Greeks.
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
quote:
As someone who would love to be able to attend a weekly meeting where there is singing, a routine of words which make one think afresh each time they are repeated (I do not use the word 'inspirational' because it tends to make me wince!, with an opportunity to hear organ music played well, etc, I am sorry that such is not available minus mention of God at present.

Really? It offends you so much if someone mentions God that you must stay away?
No, it certainly does not ‘offend’ me – as a church-goer for half my life, I fully understand how one can feel as a believer. I used the word ‘wince’ because now, as an atheist, I would so much want to dispute the idea of and belief in God, that it would be wrong of me to spend my time at a CofE service.
quote:
And yet, you have no issue with our speaking of God on the Ship.....
Yes! That’s because it is always so interesting to read all the different viewpoints. The only discussion group near enough to me has a rule that religious questions are not allowed – but that sort of philosophical discussion would be the most interesting part. The reason was that people might be offended. Well, such precious sensitivity rather inhibits discussion, doesn’t it?
quote:
Without it being about God, there would be no point in Church Worship Services. There are plenty of organ and choir concerts, and singsongs, where God is not worshipped or mentioned at all. There are lots of 'inspirational' speakers captured on Youtube who don't mention God at all. Why are they not satisfactory?
I agree with that of course, but the ‘but’ here is that I need taking to and guiding at concerts; I’m a bit old for inspirational stuff, but thank you for the suggestion re you tubes etc.
quote:
As others have said, many have not left God, but they have left church as the people who attend are not the image of perfect Christians. Rather we are fallible human beings, hopefully allowing the Holy Spirit's guidance in our lives so that we will grow in patience, kindness, self control, gentleness, love of others, etc. These attributes in action help others to see God too. They might even come to Church, to find out more about the living God we worship. We can hope and pray, and do our best.
Very interesting - thank you. On Sunday morning, as I was doing my usual walk and hearing the church (recorded!) bells, I did give a passing thought to directing my steps that-a-way, but immediately decided I preferred the exercise and (with hearing aids on) listening to the bird song all around.
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:

Jengie

Thank you for posting the link.

quote:
SusanDoris: As far as I know, the only ancient culture that had atheists prepared to express such opposing ideas were the ancient Greeks.
It is always difficult to impose a modern word like 'atheism' on ancient cultures, but it is arguable that the Samkhya, Mīmāṃsā, Jain and Cārvāka schools in India (all several centuries BC) can be described as atheist.

quote:
quote:
SusanDoris: As far as I know, the only ancient culture that had atheists prepared to express such opposing ideas were the ancient Greeks.
It is always difficult to impose a modern word like 'atheism' on ancient cultures, but it is arguable that the Samkhya, Mīmāṃsā, Jain and Cārvāka schools in India (all several centuries BC) can be described as atheist.
Thank you - I have had a look at Sankhya in wikipedia. Interesting. Indian cultures still involve a great deal of praying to various gods though, don't they, even though they do not appear to have a one creator god. I will read more.

quote:
SusanDoris: Indian cultures still involve a great deal of praying to various gods though, don't they, even though they do not appear to have a one creator god.
I'm sure that, try as they might, they won't be able to live up to your standards of atheism.

quote:
The biggest problem I think all churches with diminishing numbers have is that there is no God that any of them can bring people back to. To try to encourage people to have faith in something which is not available to any of their senses or to investigation or testing no longer works as it did in the days before the information age. Why should anyone believe in miracles when they know what medicine can do? Why should anyone accept the idea of resurrection when they are well aware of what actually happens to the bodies of living creatures when they die?

Why indeed. If it was so obvious to rational people that theistic religion was bunk, why do you think we still believe in it?

As far as I can see, you've just got to accept that we really believe in it, despite being relatively rational.

Posted by mdijon (# 8520) on :

quote:
Indian cultures still involve a great deal of praying to various gods though, don't they, even though they do not appear to have a one creator god.

English cultures also involve a great deal of praying, but that doesn't exclude atheism as a philosophical standpoint among some of the English.

Buddhism also classically denies a creator God but does allow for many beliefs that would be regarded as supernatural.

quote:
I'm sure that, try as they might, they won't be able to live up to your standards of atheism.

There are, of course no 'standards' of atheism! I lacka belief in any god. And that's the best definition of atheism.
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
If it was so obvious to rational people that theistic religion was bunk, why do you think we still believe in it?

It wasn't 'bunk', it was humans, having evolved with the ability to think about and question their existence and their surroundings, coming up with the answer that there must be a cause, which had many names and forms.
quote:
As far as I can see, you've just got to accept that we really believe in it, despite being relatively rational.
Well, unfortunately I can't disagree with that!! I shall, however, maintain my optimism that by the time I die quite a few more of the world's population will have come to the same conclusion as atheists.
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
English cultures also involve a great deal of praying, but that doesn't exclude atheism as a philosophical standpoint among some of the English.

Buddhism also classically denies a creator God but does allow for many beliefs that would be regarded as supernatural.

Oh dear! I do of course have to agree with you too. [Smile] )

quote:
I shall, however, maintain my optimism that by the time I die quite a few more of the world's population will have come to the same conclusion as atheists.

Why? Even if you are right, what possible gain would there be?

It seems to me that you so value your own faulty thinking that you are unable to see anything good in the other position.

To Hosts: If this post is a bit OTT, Please let me know.
quote:
quote:
I shall, however, maintain my optimism that by the time I die quite a few more of the world's population will have come to the same conclusion as atheists.

Why? Even if you are right, what possible gain would there be?
Okay. Fortified by coffee and a (well, two actually) slice of toast and marmalade, with feet tucked into my electrically-heated footwarmer, and having to wait indoors instead of being out in the sun because of a delivery, I will try and answer!

Human nature being what it has evolved to be, with enough strong and basically good survivors to allow for the large number whose aim is to destroy others for a whole list of excuses to exist, it is inevitable that there will always be a mixture. However, the good that a lack of belief in any God/god/s could do is to enable people to understand that all the knowledghe, all the behaviours, all the good and all the bad is done by humans, entirely by humans. There would be no need for time to be spent (I wil refrain from using the word 'wasted' here) in acquiring all the gold and silver ware, rich vestments, palaces, planes, cars, etc etc for the leaders of religions and all the energy involved could be spent on education of young people, so they learn and understand the history and reasons for all religious beliefs; on providing clean water, and all the other good things we in the developed world are lucky enough to have; on better communication of the above; on finding ways to re-direct the violent, ddestructive nature of terrorists into more tolerant ways of behaving.

Yes, I know that is an unreachable goal and that there are good people everywhere who do their best to work toward improving the life of others, but if they are doing it in the name of any god, or think there is any god providing any kind of back-up, then the parts of their minds that are used by this could be totally focused on the fact that human thinking is 100% of it.
quote:
It seems to me that you so value your own faulty thinking…
Can you think of a reason why I should agree with your description of my thinking as ‘faulty’?!
quote:
t…hat you are unable to see anything good in the other position.
Of course it is obvious that there is good in the ‘other positionin the same way that every single human has a genetic make-up which gives them a set of characteristics ranging from the horrible to the very good. Very few indeed are wholly reliant on themselves and do not need any other human being at all for any aspect of living from when they become independent until their death. After all, one of the main reasons for our species survival was the co-operation amongst groups of humans.

At this point, please imagine me saying the words of the woman who, at the end of several series of Morecambe and Wise shows, would advance from the back of the stage, fling them apart and say, ‘Thank you for coming to my little show,’ or, in this case, ‘reading my post’!

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

Yes, I think we should all get back to having wars about territory, about oil, about resources. We could have human rights abuses and still do nice stuff like digging wells for clean water. We could argue and riot about politics and the rich - poor divide. In the future we will likely have riots, uprisings, wars and terrorism about wealth and even basic stuff like food and clean water access. But atheism will solve all of that because human beings are all so wonderful and kind and good that we will live in a complete utopia where not one solitary person will ever think to themselves, 'I am better than that person' or, 'I deserve more than them.'

I think this has to be the biggest crock of shit post I've ever read here. If you can't see faulty thinking in it, well I have no words....

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Yes, I think we should all get back to having wars about territory, about oil, about resources. We could have human rights abuses and still do nice stuff like digging wells for clean water. We could argue and riot about politics and the rich - poor divide. In the future we will likely have riots, uprisings, wars and terrorism about wealth and even basic stuff like food and clean water access. But atheism will solve all of that because human beings are all so wonderful and kind and good that we will live in a complete utopia where not one solitary person will ever think to themselves, 'I am better than that person' or, 'I deserve more than them.'

I think this has to be the biggest crock of shit post I've ever read here. If you can't see faulty thinking in it, well I have no words....

Hold your fire, Tex! Unless I'm being unfairly generous to Susan Doris, her point is that atheism doesn't offer anything—that's the point. Atheism is not a philosophy or way of life; not any more than how you define yourself by your lack of belief in fairies or Thor.

K.

[ 22. March 2016, 11:16: Message edited by: Komensky ]

quote:
quote:
quote:

No of course I did not think that. However, from ancient times and cultures there have always been very large numbers of people who were convinced that some spirit or soul could survive.
Well, that's different from what you said. Originally, you asked why anyone should believe in resurrection when they know what happens to the body at death. Now you've switched to talking about souls or spirits, which by definition are not bodies.

I'm not aware of any scientific evidence that souls do not exist. And there are, of course, atheists who believe that people have souls that live on after death.

quote:
[QUOTE]
I'm not aware of any scientific evidence that souls do not exist.

Are you for real? I'm not aware of any scientific evidence that proves there isn't a magical purple donkey living on one of the moons of planet Zingbo.

K.

[ 22. March 2016, 11:30: Message edited by: Komensky ]

Posted by Komensky:

quote:

Hold your fire, Tex! Unless I'm being unfairly generous to Susan Doris, her point is that atheism doesn't offer anything—that's the point. Atheism is not a philosophy or way of life; not any more than how you define yourself by your lack of belief in fairies or Thor.

You're being unfairly generous. She is arguing that old, old, tired and weak argument that religion is the cause of all ill in society, that without it we would all be so much better, that atheism is a sort of solution in a non-solution sort of way. Now that's a Facebook argument for the Fox News generation. It shows no respect for anyone, least of all the people you are having a 'reasoned' debate with. It boils down to playground debate where feigned politeness hides an ugly truth.

Atheism has much to commend it, but it is far from apparent here.

quote:

Human nature being what it has evolved to be, with enough strong and basically good survivors to allow for the large number whose aim is to destroy others for a whole list of excuses to exist, it is inevitable that there will always be a mixture. However, the good that a lack of belief in any God/god/s could do is to enable people to understand that all the knowledghe, all the behaviours, all the good and all the bad is done by humans, entirely by humans. There would be no need for time to be spent (I wil refrain from using the word 'wasted' here) in acquiring all the gold and silver ware, rich vestments, palaces, planes, cars, etc etc for the leaders of religions and all the energy involved could be spent on education of young people, so they learn and understand the history and reasons for all religious beliefs; on providing clean water, and all the other good things we in the developed world are lucky enough to have; on better communication of the above; on finding ways to re-direct the violent, ddestructive nature of terrorists into more tolerant ways of behaving.

Also no need for poetry, for art, for beautiful music: can't explain it, therefore it isn't worth anything.

I think your ideas are morally bankrupt. If nothing matters then nothing is worth spending any time on other than myself in the here-and-now.

But, unlike you, I'm fully willing to allow and indeed encourage atheists in whatever way they need to be encouraged for the sake of human flourishing. Nothing is gained from me trying to "insist" that atheists become theists nor in me trying to have a rosy-tinted image of human evolution that says every other bugger will eventually give up all their stupid ideas and agree with me.

I suggest you might like to be rather more generous with people who do not agree with you.

quote:
Yes, I know that is an unreachable goal and that there are good people everywhere who do their best to work toward improving the life of others, but if they are doing it in the name of any god, or think there is any god providing any kind of back-up, then the parts of their minds that are used by this could be totally focused on the fact that human thinking is 100% of it.
This is utter gibberish. I can point to you to many people with deep faith who are totally committed to "improving the lives of others" because their understanding of the deity suggests that self-sacrifice is part of the deal.

Yes, there are also atheists that do stuff - but your thesis that only the non-theist has time to put into serving others is easily disproved.

quote:
Can you think of a reason why I should agree with your description of my thinking as ‘faulty’?!
I think most people of goodwill acknowledge that there is something positive in the alternative view - whereas it appears you are only interested in religion to the extent that it trains you in how to destroy it.

Your thinking is faulty because it is totally lacking in nuance. And actually any sympathy or goodwill in believing that there are people of faith who are not just deluded. Or somehow not using their brains properly.

quote:
Of course it is obvious that there is good in the ‘other positionin the same way that every single human has a genetic make-up which gives them a set of characteristics ranging from the horrible to the very good. Very few indeed are wholly reliant on themselves and do not need any other human being at all for any aspect of living from when they become independent until their death. After all, one of the main reasons for our species survival was the co-operation amongst groups of humans.

At this point, please imagine me saying the words of the woman who, at the end of several series of Morecambe and Wise shows, would advance from the back of the stage, fling them apart and say, ‘Thank you for coming to my little show,’ or, in this case, ‘reading my post’!

That's a pretty poor excuse for the things you've said. Totally lacking in any sense of generosity.

quote:
quote:

I'm not aware of any scientific evidence that souls do not exist.

Are you for real? I'm not aware of any scientific evidence that proves there isn't a magical purple donkey living on one of the moons of planet Zingbo.
Sure, I'm for real. Aside from the fact that I don't think these are comparable predicates—SusanDoris said there have always been very large numbers of people who have believed that souls or spirits exist, and I'm not aware that very large numbers of people throughout history have believed that a magic purple donkey lives on a moon of planet Zingbo—the point is that SusanDoris was suggesting (and I am perhaps reading in from her other posts) that, unlike those people in the past, we now know that souls or spirits do not exist. I was simply saying that science has not proved what she presents as having been established.

As the subject is at rather a tangent to this thread I have opened another to maybe direct our thoughts towards whether religion is pointless or not.

It is the idea that if only everyone else saw things the way we do, everything would be fine and dandy, so let's insist on it which feeds terrorism. That includes militant atheism as well as any militant religious stance.

If only everyone would know God, the world would be a much better place. I believe that, but will always allow you to hold another opinion.

In a last-ditch attempt to steer the topic back toward the OP. Fr Weber has made the best point. The most important thing is whether or not the central tenets (here we go…) of Christianity are true. If they're (basically) true, then the need to make those truths relevant seems a weird task indeed. If you see or hear the word 'relevant' anywhere near a church you can bet it will closely resemble daytime TV or some kind of gig of a bubblegum pop act.

K.

[ 22. March 2016, 13:00: Message edited by: Komensky ]

quote:
Yes, I think we should all get back to having wars about territory, about oil, about resources.
<snip>

But atheism will solve all of that because human beings are all so wonderful and kind and good that we will live in a complete utopia where not one solitary person will ever think to themselves, 'I am better than that person' or, 'I deserve more than them.'

I did not intend to imply any of the above negative possibilities and I am sorry if you thought I did. Maybe the negativity is in you, not me.

I see that Boogie has started a new thread .

quote:
She is arguing that old, old, tired and weak argument that religion is the cause of all ill in society, that without it we would all be so much better, that atheism is a sort of solution in a non-solution sort of way.

Here again, you infer something I do not imply. I have never blamed religions, it is 100% the people who invent the gods, believe their claims and assertions, and make up the rules; some of those people tell others they must do this or that anti-social act because some god has ordered it.
Other people have of course encouraged their followers to do all kinds of good things because their God has orderd it.

quote:
I was simply saying that science has not proved what she presents as having been established.

But that's the old negative proof fallacy, isn't it?

quote:
As the subject is at rather a tangent to this thread I have opened another to maybe direct our thoughts towards whether religion is pointless or not.

Thank you for saying. I'll leave this and join that.

Just a quick P.S. - thank you for your posts, Komensky

quote:
quote:
I was simply saying that science has not proved what she presents as having been established.

Not on my part, no, because I am not asserting a proposition to be proven at all. It is you who have asserted, in essence, that unlike many people of the past, people now know that souls and/ore spirits do not exist. Yet you have not presented any evidence of how this is known.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Not on my part, no, because I am not asserting a proposition to be proven at all. It is you who have asserted, in essence, that unlike many people of the past, people now know that souls and/ore spirits do not exist. Yet you have not presented any evidence of how this is known.
Again, the burden of proof is on you. Pathetic try.

K.

I think it could actually be argued both ways. This is one reason why we shouldn't feel that we can assert rules of debate and rhetoric.

There is no obvious steady-state position with regard to the existence of the soul, hence there neither sides (or both sides) can be said to be arguing the novel position which needs to be defended with evidence.

Posted by Susan;
quote:

Here again, you infer something I do not imply

No, you're quite right, you didn't imply it, you stated it in black and white.

quote:
Again, the burden of proof is on you. Pathetic try.

There is no burden of proof on me when I haven't set out to prove anything. I am under no obligation to prove that SusanDoris's assertion is wrong, but I am entitled to ask her the basis of that assertion.

quote:
I think it could actually be argued both ways. This is one reason why we shouldn't feel that we can assert rules of debate and rhetoric.

There is no obvious steady-state position with regard to the existence of the soul, hence there neither sides (or both sides) can be said to be arguing the novel position which needs to be defended with evidence.

I agree, more or less. I will admit I approached this with some recollection of previous threads, where it has been asserted that "of course, we know . . . ," with no basis for the assertion given other than "we know" and a general appeal to science. Perhaps it was not helpful for me to do so.

It's utterly obvious that in the modern world and beyond many came to know that there is no supernatural realm. Or never knew that there was beyond the age of 6. They KNOW. Supernaturalism is very much a function of deprivation.

quote:
quote:

That was his point. And it applies as much to your argument as it does to his.

Supernaturalism breaks Occam's razor vertically.

© Ship of Fools 2016